Who needs and deserves our dollars from now till November?

10,906 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Anarchistbear
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Throwing money at Beto or Nunes opponent is a waste. Both are going to lose. Closer races that are more important than liberal fantasies.
I agree, focus on the true tossups. Strategize for the battlefield you have, not for the moral victory you want. A 218 - 217 House majority is far more important than knocking Ted Cruz off if Republicans still have 51 other senators.

I remember talking to a kid in high school who the week before finals had three different classes he wasn't passing. He had a 68%, a 59%, and 40%. I told him to not study for the class he had the 40% in as even if he aced the final, he'd still fail the class, whereas if he focused on the 68 and the 59 he might be able to pull of a C- and pass. He couldn't comprehend that and insisted on focusing on the 40%, and kept saying a high 'F' is better than a low 'F'. In this case, Nunes or Cruz would be the 40%.
Another Bear
B.A. Bearacus
Why are Democrats the party that continually tries to suppress voting as strategy to win and retain power? How un-American is that?

Correction: I meant Republicans.
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
If you don't have time to watch the whole debate, mostly skip to the Gillum parts. Gillum looked truly like THE MAN. The dude has got the gift. DeSantis, a Yale and Havard Law grad, came across as an unlovable loser and much less sharp than Gillum.

oski003
If he is THE MAN, why does he cheat?

http://tallahasseereports.com/2018/10/21/florida-governor-candidate-andrew-gillums-family-under-investigation-may-have-engaged-in-voter-fraud/
B.A. Bearacus
oski003 said:

http://tallahasseereports.com/2018/10/21/florida-governor-candidate-andrew-gillums-family-under-investigation-may-have-engaged-in-voter-fraud/

If I genuinely felt that you thought that cheating or lying was something you were actually concerned about in elected officials and something you felt was disqualifying of someone holding office, and that you also took two minutes to research whether there are any questions about the ethical behavior of DeSantis I would click that link.

Not clicking that weak link today, sorry.
B.A. Bearacus
oski003
B.A. Bearacus said:

oski003 said:

If I genuinely felt that you thought that cheating or lying was something you were actually concerned about in elected officials and something you felt was disqualifying of someone holding office, and that you also took two minutes to research whether there are any questions about the ethical behavior of DeSantis I would click that link.

Solid reply BA. Stay in your bubble.
B.A. Bearacus
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

oski003 said:

Solid reply BA. Stay in your bubble.
Look man, I took the time to read your link because you genuinely thought it was worth our time. You suggested that it would show that Andrew Gillum was a cheater. The article is about Andrew's brother Marcus, so why the hell was this worth my time again?
oski003
Was reading a non-liberal link for you like Dr. Azumi Fujita stepping out of the lab and venturing outside?

...It's not like he and his brother are estranged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/us/gillum-florida-governor-tallahassee.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willful_blindness

sycasey
I don't live in Florida, so ultimately I don't have to make any decisions in that election . . . but it seems to me you've got two stories that don't actually allege any wrongdoing on Andrew Gillum's part, just innuendo about stuff that might have been done by someone in his family or a department in Tallahassee while he was the mayor. If evidence surfaces to bring such wrongdoing to light, then sure he should probably pay an electoral price for it. Not sure this is anything more than the usual political muckraking at this point.
Another Bear
DeSantis is one step away from being a Trump Nazi Boi. He totally played the race and ******* card...and it looks like he's going down. African American voters got involved. In fact AfAm voters are making a surge in '18. So is the Pink Wave. AfAm voter + Pink Wave + generational change...looks bad for GOP.

dajo9
Voting GOP in 2018 is basically voting against freedom for our kids
American Vermin
Another Bear

Early voters are swarming Texas and specifically Austin. It seems Beto's secret weapon, not accounted for in the polls, are young voters who registered for the first time...most who seem likely to vote for him. Also Texas set a voter registration record of 15m. The number of registered voters usually favor the Dems, which is why the GOP are really into voter suppression, really into it (see Georgia).
Another Bear
BerlinerBaer
golden sloth said:

Anarchistbear said:

Throwing money at Beto or Nunes opponent is a waste. Both are going to lose. Closer races that are more important than liberal fantasies.
I agree, focus on the true tossups. Strategize for the battlefield you have, not for the moral victory you want. A 218 - 217 House majority is far more important than knocking Ted Cruz off if Republicans still have 51 other senators.

I remember talking to a kid in high school who the week before finals had three different classes he wasn't passing. He had a 68%, a 59%, and 40%. I told him to not study for the class he had the 40% in as even if he aced the final, he'd still fail the class, whereas if he focused on the 68 and the 59 he might be able to pull of a C- and pass. He couldn't comprehend that and insisted on focusing on the 40%, and kept saying a high 'F' is better than a low 'F'. In this case, Nunes or Cruz would be the 40%.
This premise jives well with conventional wisdom, but it fails to consider the funding source and availability of Democratic money.

ActBlue has revolutionized donation for the American political left. There are literally millions of donors now chipping in an average of $50 to a multitude of races. That's pocket change at an individual level, and $50 to Beto isn't discouraging his donors from chipping in a few dollars in other races.

People are donating to Beto because he's a charismatic politician running a positive campaign that has attracted attention. The sheer number of Democratic House candidates who have out-raised their opponents proves that donors aren't supporting a small number of candidates at the expense of many others.

It's the Republicans who are forced now to triage races. I would hate to be them right now banging on Sheldon Addelson's door yet again for another $100 million. I mean, what if he says no?
Another Bear
Beto has a chance despite what the polls indicate now, because polls don't track first time voters or recently registered. It was reported that there were 35k new voters registering the last two days in Austin, mostly young and mostly intending to vote for Beto. Texas has set a record in voter registration and that usually benefits the Democrats. We'll see if makes a difference but 35k is a significant number.
sycasey
BerlinerBaer said:

golden sloth said:

Anarchistbear said:

This premise jives well with conventional wisdom, but it fails to consider the funding source and availability of Democratic money.

ActBlue has revolutionized donation for the American political left. There are literally millions of donors now chipping in an average of $50 to a multitude of races. That's pocket change at an individual level, and $50 to Beto isn't discouraging his donors from chipping in a few dollars in other races.

People are donating to Beto because he's a charismatic politician running a positive campaign that has attracted attention. The sheer number of Democratic House candidates who have out-raised their opponents proves that donors aren't supporting a small number of candidates at the expense of many others.

It's the Republicans who are forced now to triage races. I would hate to be them right now banging on Sheldon Addelson's door yet again for another $100 million. I mean, what if he says no?

Yup. Democratic candidates nationwide have all the money they need. Beto isn't taking money out of anyone's pocket.
Anarchistbear
Then why the complaining?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/us/politics/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-poll.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Beto O'Rourke's War Chest Bothers Some Democrats as He Struggles Against Ted Cruz
Another Bear
Beto hasn't taken any corporate or PAC money, which makes his fundraising significant on many levels. Sure some of it's from out of state but small donors tend to vote. Corporations don't. PACs can't vote either.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/us/politics/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-poll.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Beto O'Rourke's War Chest Bothers Some Democrats as He Struggles Against Ted Cruz

The media never met a "Dems in disarray" narrative it didn't like.
Yogi58
Anarchistbear said:

Yeah, just give all that money and support to Hillary like you did last time.

Stupid Democrats. Always looking for the progressives to support their limp-dick blue dog candidates who can't generate any interest on their own.
Another Bear
Anarchistbear
That ad is hilarious.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.