Free speech

1,447 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At Berkeley, rational discussion descends into darkness https://washex.am/2qSbsSj

It sounds really bad, but not so fast. Is the article accurate when it says schools like Cal are shutting down freedom of speech?

Okay, students have protested with a letter, the student representative haas been from her party by student party members, and the Daily Cal acted with bias. Then again, the Daily Cal, is not exactly the New York Times or WSJ (or even close). But isn't that their choice since they disagree with her views? The school has done nothing to this student rep. My problem with articles like this is Cal is simply lumped into being a lefty school that always discriminates against (fill in non-PC group). But the fact is Cal is probably the one school above all others that this student rep can speak out without retribution from the school. And I might add also get elected to a student government position. Free speech doesn't guaranty you that people who disagree with you will not speak out, protest or otherwise object. Just that you get to voice your opinion. Fiat Lux everyone.
dajo9
Washington Examiner? The article is probably not accurate.
American Vermin
oski003
What is being done to her is wrong, but, you are absolutely correct that the school itself is not doing it. I don't believe this would rise to a level of heckler's veto either. The school can't force everyone to be nice and inclusive. She voiced what is now an unpopular view and became a pariah.
golden sloth

Quote:

The American college campus, we are led to believe, is a dangerous place: If you say what you really think, particularly as a conservative, a mob of young social justice warriors will come for your faculty position or invitation to speak on campus. Entire books and online magazinesare premised on the idea that political correctness is sweeping the American university, threatening both higher education and the broader right to free speech.

But a data analysis from March by the director of Georgetown University's Free Speech Project suggests that this "crisis" is more than a little overblown. There have been relatively few incidents of speech being squelched on college campuses, and there's in fact limited evidence that conservatives are being unfairly targeted.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17644180/political-correctness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown
sycasey
Shockingly, an op-ed from a right-wing news outlet strongly overstates its case against UC Berkeley.

"Free speech" is not being threatened if most other people just don't like what you had to say.
offshorebear
This whole free speech panic on campuses is manufactured. Most talking points are, but this one is easily traced. To my knowledge it came out of Goldwater. I dated a GSPP PhD candidate who ended up at Goldwater for a few years. Nasty place. Nasty girl
golden sloth
offshorebear said:

Nasty girl
In bed?
Bobodeluxe
Money talks. The Supremes have spoken.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.