Nancy Pelosi wears her Cal Scarf

11,441 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 95bears
bipolarbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golden One
Bad advertising for the university!
golden sloth
I can't see the photo, but how many comments until this goes off-topic?
calumnus
Sebastabear
and we're off . . .
Golden One
Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
No, just light-hearted banter. LOL! If you want good advertising, you don't use someone as polarizing as Pelosi or Trump. If you do, you immediately alienate about half the population.
Sebastabear
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
No, just light-hearted banter. LOL! If you want good advertising, you don't use someone as polarizing as Pelosi or Trump. If you do, you immediately alienate about half the population.
Thread being moved to OT in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
okaydo
Why is the White House owner wearing a Cal scarf?

okaydo
Can Somebody liink me where I could find a scarf?

Another Bear
Peanut Gallery Consultant
calpoly
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
She only alienates 35% of the population.
Golden One
calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
Not really. I know a lot of Democrats that don't like her. She had a hard time winning the Speakership in votes of her own party.
Golden One
My wife has that exact scarf. She bought it in the student store at Cal a number of years ago. I don't know if they still have it for sale.
Fyght4Cal
LOL. Love the scarf. Nancy Pelosi is extremely popular in her district, in the Democratic Party, in her caucus and the Dems in K Street. She shows what I always said about California politicos - we can lead the country better than anyone because we deal with the whole world just within our borders. #GoBears
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Fyght4Cal
I've seen Chancellor Christ wear it, as well.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calumnus
Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
Not really. I know a lot of Democrats that don't like her. She had a hard time winning the Speakership in votes of her own party.

To be Speaker of the House you need an absolute majority of the votes of all House members of both parties.
Golden One
calumnus said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

To be Speaker of the House you need an absolute majority of the votes of all House members of both parties.
Of course. But that has nothing to do with my point.
calumnus
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

Of course. But that has nothing to do with my point.

Any politician has detractors, but she had a majority of the majority. She is arguably more "popular" among her colleagues than any other politician.
GivemTheAxe
Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

Disagree that it is bad to have Nancy wearing Cal Scarf.
1. Most people won't recognize a Cal scarf.
2. Most Californians dislike Trimp as evidenced by the Blue Wave in Ca at the Midterms
3. California (Brown and Newsome) has been in conflict with Trump.
4. The comments that Pelosi is disliked. IMO are overblown. The Rebels wanted a change in leadership. Nancy is not liked in many states where the Rebels won. But Nancy's popularity and skills in governing enabled her to blow away the Rebels or to convert them to her side.
5. Nancy is in a position to support Cal in the Federal Government. A good change from what has gone on over the past few years.
6. Many of Those people in other states who hate Pelosi probably already hate Berzerkley.
7. Cal is a State University looking mainly for support within CA. Being anti-trump (not necessarily anti-Republican unless the Republicans identify with Trump) might hurt Cal. But in my opinion -- not much.
8. Cal is a place where students learn to "speak truth to power". Trump has been the epitome of a ruler who refuses to listen to truth and to bully and intimidate those any one who challenges him or tells him that he is wrong. Nancy and Schumer as a team have proven that they won't be bullied or intimidated into silence. Nancy embodies the best Cal values.
mbBear
Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .
Well, no, actually she didn't.
Another Bear
I like Grandma Nancy. She's exactly who we need right now, a person who tell a petulant child there will be no toy wall but she is in fact praying for his very soul. Total grandma move...left him stunned and defenseless. Oh yeah, she's also competent, knows the rules and knows how do to her job.
TheFiatLux
GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

2. Most Californians dislike Trimp as evidenced by the Blue Wave in Ca at the Midterms
4. The comments that Pelosi is disliked. IMO are overblown. The Rebels wanted a change in leadership. Nancy is not liked in many states where the Rebels won. But Nancy's popularity and skills in governing enabled her to blow away the Rebels or to convert them to her side.
5. Nancy is in a position to support Cal in the Federal Government. A good change from what has gone on over the past few years.
6. Many of Those people in other states who hate Pelosi probably already hate Berzerkley.
7. Cal is a State University looking mainly for support within CA. Being anti-trump (not necessarily anti-Republican unless the Republicans identify with Trump) might hurt Cal. But in my opinion -- not much.
8. Cal is a place where students learn to "speak truth to power". Trump has been the epitome of a ruler who refuses to listen to truth and to bully and intimidate those any one who challenges him or tells him that he is wrong. Nancy and Schumer as a team have proven that they won't be bullied or intimidated into silence. Nancy embodies the best Cal values.

I'm sorry. Nancy is loathsome. Just because she's not loathsome in the same way that Trump is loathsome, and just because she's got a Cal scarf on, doesn't make here any less so.

As for your point #8, with all due respect, that is rich considering the topic. Nancy Pelosi has used her position of power to punsish anyone who challenges her - ie speak truth to power - particularly inside her own party.
ColoradoBear
calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

Well only ~ 20% of American citizens voted for Trump.

And only ~21% for Clinton....
bipolarbear
I bet she wore the Cal scarf as an under the radar dig at Trump. He hates California.
juarezbear
Fyght4Cal said:

LOL. Love the scarf. Nancy Pelosi is extremely popular in her district, in the Democratic Party, in her caucus and the Dems in K Street. She shows what I always said about California politicos - we can lead the country better than anyone because we deal with the whole world just within our borders. #GoBears
Well said Fyt! Certainly better than wearing a MAGA hat!
71Bear
TheFiatLux said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

I'm sorry. Nancy is loathsome. Just because she's not loathsome in the same way that Trump is loathsome, and just because she's got a Cal scarf on, doesn't make here any less so.

As for your point #8, with all due respect, that is rich considering the topic. Nancy Pelosi has used her position of power to punsish anyone who challenges her - ie speak truth to power - particularly inside her own party.
To the contrary, Speaker Pelosi understands how to use power to achieve results. She clearly knows how and when to communicate her position on key issues. Additionally, she has coalesced the Democratic HR membership behind her agenda. That is a remarkable feat.

Interestingly enough, she has earned the respect of the one person who most would rank "least likely" to respect her use of political power - the President. While he may not be the brightest guy in Washington, he understands power and he knows that he has a worthy adversary in the Speaker.

I salute Speaker Pelosi for holding her ground in the current mess. Someone has to say no more and she is leading that fight. (and as a bonus, I am very proud that she is "ours" - representing the interests and attitudes of the Bay Area)....
BearGoggles
Pelosi has maintained her leadership position through a combination of prodigious fundraising and power politics. Some of her support is because people agree with her; much is due to sheer cutthroat power politics. I am positing this as neither good nor bad (all of us can judge that based on our personal views). Her fundraising for the DNC and other candidates in particular has bought her a ton of loyalty.

I think one perspective is that Reid/Pelosi/Obama's overreach resulted in the tidal wave election of 2010 and the republicans taking control of Congress for an extended period and, even (partly) the rise of Trump. There were some legislative "successes" (Obamacare). But again, whether dems/progressives view those benefits as outweighing the costs is an open issue.

The other factor is that the current Dem leadership is, taken as a whole, incredibly old. Pelosi and other have blocked an entire generation of potential younger leaders to the point where outside of HRC/Biden, the bench was/is pretty empty. Some younger candidates are emerging (Beto/Booker/Harris), but that could (and arguably should) have happened long ago.
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

To the contrary, Speaker Pelosi understands how to use power to achieve results. She clearly knows how and when to communicate her position on key issues. Additionally, she has coalesced the Democratic HR membership behind her agenda. That is a remarkable feat.

Interestingly enough, she has earned the respect of the one person who most would rank "least likely" to respect her use of political power - the President. While he may not be the brightest guy in Washington, he understands power and he knows that he has a worthy adversary in the Speaker.

I salute Speaker Pelosi for holding her ground in the current mess. Someone has to say no more and she is leading that fight. (and as a bonus, I am very proud that she is "ours" - representing the interests and attitudes of the Bay Area)....
"...bully and intimidate..." you mean like "You have to pass it before you can read it."? And, "Can we discuss the Wall and a remedy for Dreamers? No."

She's just another power-obsessed politician - like most others. Face it: if the other guy's ox is being gored, you love her. That's all this is about.
MSaviolives
71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

I don't want to wade too deep into this topic, but it has been interesting that Trump has not put an insulting nickname on Pelosi, unlike pretty much everybody else who disagrees with him.
okaydo
I'm not sure how to feel about Cal being associated with a stunning victory.

okaydo
Another Bear
Seems like Grandma Nancy is doing a fine, fine job. Without changing her stance, or raising her voice, there's now a 3 week extension off of a major cave...total cave, TREMENDOUS CAVE. Ya think Paul Ryan could do that? I'm telling y'all, Grandma Nancy is kicking some orange-y babboon butt upside down right now.
Another Bear
MSaviolives said:

71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

I don't want to wade too deep into this topic, but it has been interesting that Trump has not put an insulting nickname on Pelosi, unlike pretty much everybody else who disagrees with him.
I'm telling you, once Nancy said she was praying for the president, she has owned him. Something about that unnerved him. She owns his soul...but as a grandma she won't crush it...unless absolutely necessary.
Rushinbear
Another Bear said:

MSaviolives said:

71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Golden One said:

calpoly said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

and we're off . . .

I'm telling you, once Nancy said she was praying for the president, she has owned him. Something about that unnerved him. She owns his soul...but as a grandma she won't crush it...unless absolutely necessary.
hahaha.
upsetof86
NP is a phenomenally effective fund raiser. This much and perhaps only this much is indisputable about her.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.