OT? World Cup Paris '19

11,678 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

concordtom said:

oski003 said:

concordtom said:

The wife of my MAGA cousin in TX posted on Facebook that Rapinoe is an ungrateful American.
Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible. It's sad.

I consider her a progressive American force the rest of us should be grateful for.
Thank you for being brave, unabashed, and outspoken, Megan.

This was a good review:

https://sports.yahoo.com/megan-rapinoe-sounds-off-on-fifa-over-lack-of-womens-soccer-investment-162227691.html

This is an absolute lie. You know she is not being smeared because she does not want to go to the White House. She is being smeared for the way she answered the question.
Are you referring to the use of the F word?
If so, come on, man. Give me a f#ckin' break. That's weak.

Keep continue to not understanding things as you continue to not improving even more.

In an effort to be more civil, I will answer your question. If someone asks me on a date and my answer is, "of course I'm not going on a date with ****ing you," thats a whole lot different then simply saying no, etc...

Anyway, she has a right to say what she said, people have a right to speak against it, and you have a right to mischaracterize it.

Yes, because if there's one thing Trump supporters really, really care about, it's civility.

Yes, there are numerous Trump supporters that lack civility. You are correct. You go Sycasey!

Keep looking the other way, oski003, while he and y'all collectively ruin America.
oski003
I see what you are saying. It is as follows:

Trump is a liar and does not deserve respect. Therefore, I can lie about things related to him on this message board. Moreover, if anyone calls me out on it, they are an idiot.

Good to know. Cheers.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

concordtom said:

oski003 said:

concordtom said:

The wife of my MAGA cousin in TX posted on Facebook that Rapinoe is an ungrateful American.
Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible. It's sad.

I consider her a progressive American force the rest of us should be grateful for.
Thank you for being brave, unabashed, and outspoken, Megan.

This was a good review:

https://sports.yahoo.com/megan-rapinoe-sounds-off-on-fifa-over-lack-of-womens-soccer-investment-162227691.html

This is an absolute lie. You know she is not being smeared because she does not want to go to the White House. She is being smeared for the way she answered the question.
Are you referring to the use of the F word?
If so, come on, man. Give me a f#ckin' break. That's weak.

Keep continue to not understanding things as you continue to not improving even more.

In an effort to be more civil, I will answer your question. If someone asks me on a date and my answer is, "of course I'm not going on a date with ****ing you," thats a whole lot different then simply saying no, etc...

Anyway, she has a right to say what she said, people have a right to speak against it, and you have a right to mischaracterize it.

Yes, because if there's one thing Trump supporters really, really care about, it's civility.

Yes, there are numerous Trump supporters that lack civility. You are correct. You go Sycasey!

You realize my comment is more about the man himself than his supporters, right?
oski003
No, I did not. This is what you said:

"The wife of my MAGA cousin in TX posted on Facebook that Rapinoe is an ungrateful American.

Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible. It's sad."

Please say what you mean and mean what you say.
OneKeg
oski003 said:

No, I did not. This is what you said:

"The wife of my MAGA cousin in TX posted on Facebook that Rapinoe is an ungrateful American.

Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible. It's sad."

Concordtom said that, not Sycasey.
oski003
K - it applies anyway as he interjected with this

"Yes, because if there's one thing Trump supporters really, really care about, it's civility."

Sycasey's comment while true (whether he is talking about a group of Trump supporters or apparently Trump itself), is not very relevant anyway.
OneKeg
oski003 said:

"Yes, because if there's one thing Trump supporters really, really care about, it's civility."

Sycasey's comment while true (whether he is talking about a group of Trump supporters or apparently Trump itself), is not very relevant anyway.

It's relevant.

Trump is far less civil, yet he gets their unwavering support to hold the highest office in the land. Kind of makes it hard to take their outrage at an athlete's comment seriously. Makes it seem like it's not the lack of civility that's the issue for them, just the pretext.
oski003
Not really. Let's just lie some more then.

Right wingers are now outraged at the dance Rapinoe, Morgan, and Long did after winning.

That's a good one. I don't give a crap about the truth because I'm emotional and I hate Trump!
sycasey
OneKeg said:

oski003 said:

It's relevant.

Trump is far less civil, yet he gets their unwavering support to hold the highest office in the land. Kind of makes it hard to take their outrage at an athlete's comment seriously. Makes it seem like it's not the lack of civility that's the issue for them, just the pretext.

Bingo.

It's not about civility. It's that most of the women's team seems to dislike Trump and won't visit the White House.
OneKeg
oski003 said:

Right wingers are now outraged at the dance Rapinoe, Morgan, and Long did after winning.

That's a good one. I don't give a crap about the truth because I'm emotional and I hate Trump!

I don't get it I guess. Did I say that right wingers are outraged about the dance? Are they? Don't know and I didn't mention it. Are right wingers not outraged by Rapinoe's statement on visiting the WH? That was CT's allegation. What did I lie about again?

I thought you were saying (some) right wingers like the ones in CT's anecdote were justified in their outrage because it's all about Rapinoe's incivility and the manner in which she declined to visit. I'm saying that argument seems far-fetched given the ease with which they accept or even celebrate incivility coming from the President who they support. Makes it seem like it's not the incivility that's the problem.

Edited to add: hmmm, maybe you are saying that hey, Trump supporters didn't react to other things the USWNT did so it must be the incivility in Rapinoe's statement that they are reacting to. Again, that seems pretty unlikely to me since the main aspect of Rapinoe's statement is that it was anti-Trump. To be clear, that seems to me the only believable reason for the outrage, or "smearing" as I think you put it - the anti-Trump-ness. The incivility was a pretext and not what they actually have a problem with because, again just look at all the incivility they lap up when it's going the other way.

To flip the script, I mean, if someone said "F {insert liberal or progressive figure here}, he/she is/was way worse than Trump", it would not be civil, but I wouldn't pretend that it was the incivility that I had a disagreement with.
Anarchistbear
Trump has legitimized taunting as public discourse. Nothing wrong with taunting back. The whole thing is amusing even if silly.
Yogi011
oski003 said:

Trump supporters are idiots.
You are a Trump supporter.

I'll allow you to finish that thought.
oski003
OneKeg said:

oski003 said:

I don't get it I guess. Did I say that right wingers are outraged about the dance? Are they? Don't know and I didn't mention it. Are right wingers not outraged by Rapinoe's statement on visiting the WH? That was CT's allegation. What did I lie about again?

I thought you were saying (some) right wingers like the ones in CT's anecdote were justified in their outrage because it's all about Rapinoe's incivility and the manner in which she declined to visit. I'm saying that argument seems far-fetched given the ease with which they accept or even celebrate incivility coming from the President who they support. Makes it seem like it's not the incivility that's the problem.

Yes, you do not get it. CT said

Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible.

I am accusing him of mischaracterizing what actually happened. That is all. It is probably just his hatred for all things Trump speaking that justifies his twisting of the truth. I think he just cannot handle his emotions when it comes to Trump.

OneKeg
oski003 said:

OneKeg said:

oski003 said:

Yes, you do not get it. CT said

Basically, because she isn't going to visit trump at the White House, the alt-right is rallying to smear and discredit her any way possible.

I am accusing him of mischaracterizing what actually happened. That is all. It is probably just his hatred for all things Trump speaking that justifies his twisting of the truth. I think he just cannot handle his emotions when it comes to Trump.

I edited my post with an additional section as you were writing yours. I agree I think CT goes overboard, but he's just one among many across the political spectrum who do so.

But in this very narrow case, I think CT was right. See my addition to my previous post. The civility thing is a pretext. It seems pretty clear that it's the anti-trump-ness of the statement that set them off. A dance (or whatever hypothetical you had) would not have set them off unless it was obviously anti-Trump.

You seem to think it was the incivility of Rapinoe's statement that set them off, but I don't see how you can believe that given the incivility they accept or cheer on when going the other way. Pretty clearly just a pretext to react to the anti-Trump aspect of Rapinoe's comment.
oski003
Maybe they just don't like her because she plays left wing
OneKeg
oski003 said:

Maybe they just don't like her because she plays left wing
Ha could be. I eagerly await them denouncing the USWNT's other left wing, Christen Press.

Edited to add: for the record, I pretty much like the entire USWNT (now that Hope Solo is gone), including Tobin Heath who plays right wing.
B.A. Bearacus

Well, I assume it got too many views and Sports Illustrated had it removed
concordtom
CT checking in here.

Yes, I go overboard re Trump.
Yes, onekeg is right.
And Oski003 is underboard.

The right wing don't like Rapinoe because:

* she is different with purple hair (a slur my TX person used),
* she is gay (a sinful choice for which fundamentalist christians believe will lead her to hell),
* she used the F word re going to the White House,
* she is outspoken and critical of Republican policies,
* she previously kneeled in solidarity to Kapernick's anthem protest issue,
* she currently only stands at attention (per new US Soccer requirement) and does not put hand on heart or sing the lyrics,
* she and Allie Long set the flag on the ground while posing and celebrating post championship.

To the right wingers (wrong wingers), they are a consortium of fundamentalist bible toting bible quoters, military folks without a heart for foreigners or anything different. They have co-opted the flag. To them, the flag is THEIRS. It is military. It is white america. It is intolerance. It is God on their side. We have guns and god, so you can go to hell.

My cousin's wife and her posse on FB ripped me pretty good, and it was shocking to me. I keep a different (not outspoken) profile there, as I am not anonymous as I am here. In other words, I don't wanna be rude to them. Yet, there were rude an outspoken.

There and their links accused Rapinoe of "stomping" on the flag (fake news!!), and of dishonoring all soldiers who died so she/we could live free. They made a total witch hunt out of it.

They live as if in the 1800's, it is shocking to me. Such a posse of deluded people. Just like Trump and his posse. Y'all are nuts!!

The flag and what it means to be America is vastly different. I'd be okay if intolerant idiots who cannot face facts truthfully wanted to go be a separate country.
concordtom
concordtom
The Texas Jesus Military consortium railed against this display with the flag. To them, it was grounds for sending her to Siberia.
concordtom
One TX fellow ripped on me for not understanding the rules of flag etiquette, which apparently everyone MUST follow if you are to be American, or at least if you are going to play for the American soccer team.

oski003
If you represent our NATIONAL soccer team, you must understand flag etiquette.

With that being said, if she apologizes and said she got caught up in the moment (a big moment!), that should be fine. Has she apologized?
dajo9
oski003 said:

With that being said, if she apologizes and said she got caught up in the moment (a big moment!), that should be fine. Has she apologized?
You say "must" but I think you must understand that she and most of America aren't interested in what you have to say on this topic.
bearister
oski003 said:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
In my upbringing, letting the flag touch the ground was a big deal. With that said, I don't support Trump's behavior.
oski003
You say "must" but I think you must understand that she and most of America aren't interested in what you have to say on this topic.

Interesting take. I agree with you that most of America is not interested in my opinion or your opinion on this topic. However, if you play for our NATIONAL team, you must understand flag etiquette.
dajo9
oski003 said:

Interesting take. I agree with you that most of America is not interested in my opinion or your opinion on this topic. However, if you play for our NATIONAL team, you must understand flag etiquette.
Apparently not
sycasey
It's a sports team, not the military. This "flag etiquette" standard seems made-up to me.
oski003
Would it matter if it was the Olympics instead of the World Cup?
sycasey
oski003 said:

Would it matter if it was the Olympics instead of the World Cup?

To me? Not really.

To everyone else? I can't remember the last time there was a public fight over an Olympian's treatment of the flag. Not since the Black Power salute, maybe?
bearister
Fox News does not criticize the Alt Right for lack of proper flag etiquette because those patriots always do Old Glory proud.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
bearister said:

oski003 said:

I don't know flag etiquette.
Who made the flag etiquette rules?
Is hugging the flag against flag etiquette rules?
If so, shouldn't the (draft dodging) president know flag etiquette rules?
If so, where is the FoxNews outcry?????!!!!!!!
concordtom
oski003 said:

Says who???
Who makes these rules?
Listen, the flag means different things to different people. Currently, the F'ing Christian military union has grabbed the chalice on this issue, and it's time to take it back. They/you don't get to decide for me what it means to be American, how I need to grovel for your approval. War sucks. Wrapping the flag in caskets has given the flag its military meaning. No more.
I don't want any more dead young people. Stop sending them away with honor, burying them with the flag as if it's the highest honor. You wanna know what's more honorable? Being a peacemaker!
My cousin's Texas FB army is brainwashing their children!
I'm a product of 1960's Berkeley, y'all. F-ck Off! Burn those draft cards and quit killing foreigners!!
concordtom
oski003 said:

...I don't support Trump's behavior.

Where's my bow and praise gif when I need it?
Good for you!

Wait, are you talking about his overall behavior, or just in regards to hugging the flag?
concordtom
sycasey said:

It's a sports team, not the military. This "flag etiquette" standard seems made-up to me.

+1000

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.