Brexit... Trump is the sideshow

1,823 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Another Bear
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the England vs. Spain thread...Brexit has really got me thinking that Trump is actually the side show distraction that over shadows Brexit and I think that's by design or very lucky in sequences. Add in the recent Greenland baloney and yeah...it's Russia and Putin, like duh. The Russkies played both Brexit and Trump via social media...kind of rolled the dice and lucked out both came up for them.

Here's the deal... Yes, Trump has done great damage to the U.S., on many levels. Mueller concluded Russia did in fact interfere with the '16 U.S. election...and they're doing now. Still when you look at Brexit, the EU and Western Europe...they're going to be weakened greatly, NATO will be weakened and the UK will take a major economic hit. And who benefits from this instability? Russia.

It's been difficult figuring out all the politics and political mechanisms in the UK. parliament, different parties...but Brexit is a no-going-back situation. It's final and the consequences and repercussions are real... Like the open movement of EU citizen goes away. UK citizens might be "deported", told to go home...or they have no status and can't own property.

With Trump, he's gone in 14 months, or 62 months. Damage done...but the U.S. has an clear exit, even if it's hairy and Trump goes full ape-sh*t.

If a no-deal Brexit happens...the clusterfcck is going to be even worse. There's border and international politics going on with Ireland, a hard border, import laws and Ireland remaining in the EU. Ireland and Northern Ireland agreed on no hard border, to keep the peace process going. Ireland remains in the EU. Seems a little karma might be on order given England and Irelands mutual history.

And man, yes Trump is a full idiot...but Boris Johnson is right there with him. Totally incompetent and just as dumb but the stakes are higher. With Brexit the NATO and Western European alliance might fail. It will take a hit regardless.

Yes, Trump is fccking up the U.S...but be happy we're not the UK.

Any expats living in Europe or the UK, or anyone with better knowledge of Brexit and the politics? I only see the potential fall out and that looks bad but I'm guessing it's way worse.
wifeisafurd
Another Bear said:

From the England vs. Spain thread...Brexit has really got me thinking that Trump is actually the side show distraction that over shadows Brexit and I think that's by design or very lucky in sequences. Add in the recent Greenland baloney and yeah...it's Russia and Putin, like duh. The Russkies played both Brexit and Trump via social media...kind of rolled the dice and lucked out both came up for them.

Here's the deal... Yes, Trump has done great damage to the U.S., on many levels. Mueller concluded Russia did in fact interfere with the '16 U.S. election...and they're doing now. Still when you look at Brexit, the EU and Western Europe...they're going to be weakened greatly, NATO will be weakened and the UK will take a major economic hit. And who benefits from this instability? Russia.

It's been difficult figuring out all the politics and political mechanisms in the UK. parliament, different parties...but Brexit is a no-going-back situation. It's final and the consequences and repercussions are real... Like the open movement of EU citizen goes away. UK citizens might be "deported", told to go home...or they have no status and can't own property.

With Trump, he's gone in 14 months, or 62 months. Damage done...but the U.S. has an clear exit, even if it's hairy and Trump goes full ape-sh*t.

If a no-deal Brexit happens...the clusterfcck is going to be even worse. There's border and international politics going on with Ireland, a hard border, import laws and Ireland remaining in the EU. Ireland and Northern Ireland agreed on no hard border, to keep the peace process going. Ireland remains in the EU. Seems a little karma might be on order given England and Irelands mutual history.

And man, yes Trump is a full idiot...but Boris Johnson is right there with him. Totally incompetent and just as dumb but the stakes are higher. With Brexit the NATO and Western European alliance might fail. It will take a hit regardless.

Any expats living in Europe or the UK, or anyone with better knowledge of Brexit and the politics? I only see the potential fall out and that looks bad but I'm guessing it's way worse.
After reading headlines today about buying Greenland, the Brazilian rain forests being set afire by some NGO or someone, Hong Kong, and on and on, it is like how much worse can it get with Brexit? There were reasons the UK voted for Brexit -certain UK industries were getting screwed by the folks in Brussels, which is what happens when you have multi-country compacts. You have to compromise.

I suspect the UK folks through they could end-up like the Swiss, with individual agreements with the EU, while maintaining independence. The problem is that a weaking EU (where Italy, Greece (occasionally), and other counties make noise about getting out), doesn't want to let anyone out on good terms, less they provide incentive for others to leave. Ireland clearly is a geo-political problem and provide the EU some leverage.

However, the impact on the UK economically probably is overstated, especially if a deal can be reached. If mot. the cost of EU goods goes up leading to some inflation in the short term, and UK industry being more competitive domestically. Sale of UK goods probably decline a lot in the EU market, but UK is now free to forge its own trade deals with counties outside the UK which could in the long run help UK business vs EU competitors, but in the near term means a loss in GDP. A lot of has made about uncertainty killing investment; however forecasts by the Bank of England and other of what would happen immediately after the Brexit referendum were way too pessimistic (actually wrong) according to recent studies by American economists (Stanford study). A lot of this has been investment in the UK from Asian markets (primality China) which are leaving the US due to deteriorating relations and taking advantage of the falling Pound. A lot of companies hedge their bets and moved operations to both the EU and UK. But the bottom line is there is a big uptick in foreign direct investment in the UK, which suggests from an economic standpoint, capital is not buying the doomsday scenarios. And then there is the wealth issue, a lot of EU assets are owned by the UK. In fact, Johnson has been not so subtle mentioning UK pension funds are more than double digit times bigger than all of German and French investment put together and his government would respond quite forcefully to protect those funds. What he means is quite the opposite, where the UK government will force divestment, crashing the EU stock markets. This is a valid threat, indeed a huge threat. Perhaps too huge a threat - as in putting both the UK and EU Into a recessionary spiral. I think the cold war military people called this approach the threat of mutual destruction. I'm not sure this will make the entire EU blink, but the EU may have less leverage than it thinks if the UK starts putting restrictions on ownership of EU assets and companies. The main response for the EU is to not allow UK banks access to the EU banks, and that would hurt both sets of banks. It would be as if the EU and UK fought a war and the Swiss won.

Johnson may be pompous, but he is not Trump. He is not starting trade wars with his biggest trading partner, he is not trying to buy counties, and I could just go on. There is a reason Merkel asked Johnson yesterday to come up with a new alternative proposal for the UK leaving in 30 days including to the Irish border back stop. Germany blinked.

Edit: the 30 days is for Johnson to present a new alternative, not for the UK to leave in 30 days.
Cal88
The EU is an anti-democratic, parasitic, bureaucratic entity that has sucked the economic and social life out of many countries like the UK, France, Italy and especially Greece and the rest of southern Europe. It's been economically beneficial to some members like Belgium (Brussels jobs and inflows), Germany (export-driven economy shielded from currency appreciation) or Poland. It's a mixed bag for countries like Bulgaria or Romania, which have had a lot of outsourcing from higher cost western Europe, but it's been a disaster for their demographies, with young people leaving in droves.

The EU should be broken up into two or three parts, with the old core western Europe block, an eastern block and a southern block, and the Euro should be dissolved, or at least set up as a parallel currency, restoring national control of the monetary system, which is the key to addressing structural economic issues in countries like Greece or France.

Brexit will happen and will be the first blow to the EU, the next blow will be even harder, it will come from Salvini, who is an unstoppable force in Italy. Europe will be stronger without the EU, or with a more decentralized union, the sum of the parts will be much greater than the current EU whole.

Russia is a red herring that has become an irrational obsession for Trump haters, it's economically and geographically a marginal player in Europe, with a GDP slightly larger than Spain's. Germany has a natural synergistic relationship with Russia, it's a large developing market nearby with a lot of cheap energy, something that the Germans need since they're scrapping their nuclear energy program and hurting their industrial base with a self-inflicted wound in their shift away from coal and nuclear.
joe amos yaks
Putin has his moments.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Another Bear
I can't speak to much or any of this but it's going to be interesting to see what happens. The EU is an economic union but past history, aggressions and differences in culture have popped up. I think the effects will take some time to appear in full. Stuff like open borders being closed and UK expats being told to leave the warm countries, restrictions on UK immigrations and visas and internal trade w/i Europe. A lot will happen after the exit and what the UK, or former UK as it might break up too, seems to be the policy put in place after Brexit...like does the UK become more xenophobic? A closed off London, perhaps less vibrant, can't be good for an international financial center like London but who knows.

What I'm assuming is the EU will be weakened and so will NATO. So cutting to the chase, asking who benefits from a weakened EU and NATO seems to make sense. All signs point to Russia and they have interfered in UK with Brexit...and continues to hack and interfere. Saying Russia is a red herring seems short sighted, especially when mentioning German-Russian relations will be enhanced. Well okay...the UK is the thorn in Russia's side, so if they're out of the EU and on their own...they're not a problem.

wifeisafurd
Another Bear said:

I can't speak to much or any of this but it's going to be interesting to see what happens. The EU is an economic union but past history, aggressions and differences in culture have popped up. I think the effects will take some time to appear in full. Stuff like open borders being closed and UK expats being told to leave the warm countries, restrictions on UK immigrations and visas and internal trade w/i Europe. A lot will happen after the exit and what the UK, or former UK as it might break up too, seems to be the policy put in place after Brexit...like does the UK become more xenophobic? A closed off London, perhaps less vibrant, can't be good for an international financial center like London but who knows.

What I'm assuming is the EU will be weakened and so will NATO. So cutting to the chase, asking who benefits from a weakened EU and NATO seems to make sense. All signs point to Russia and they have interfered in UK with Brexit...and continues to hack and interfere. Saying Russia is a red herring seems short sighted, especially when mentioning German-Russian relations will be enhanced. Well okay...the UK is the thorn in Russia's side, so if they're out of the EU and on their own...they're not a problem.

Economically, all non-aligned countries including the US benefit from the EU weakening. UK citizens being treated like Americans by the EU really doesn't seem like such a big deal. Ex-pat George Cloony doesn't seem to have any problem living in a warm country. All this drama really doesn't seem realistic. UK and EU probably end up playing nice each other and allowing their rich to live anywhere they want (where is Anti when I need him?). Call me cynical, but a lot of this looks like posturing to me.

I think its realistic that the EU will have to retrench eventually. German taxpayers with Germany entering a recession will tire of paying for southern country deficits. Does the UK break up or tighten immigration even more? Who knows?

Does this all make Russia more powerful? Perhaps economically. NATO still could be in place with the US calling's the shots. I'm not sure what Trump would do if Russia invaded Europe.

When I look at your post I see Cold War warrior. The seeds for Brexit were sown many years ago. The EU breaking-up is inevitable and structural. Maybe Russia is moving the needle in it's nefarious way, but these things were going to happen with or without Russia.
Another Bear

Quote:

When I look at your post I see Cold War warrior. The seeds for Brexit were sown many years ago. The EU breaking-up is inevitable and structural. Maybe Russia is moving the needle in its nefarious way, but these things were gong to happen with or without Russia.

I'll cop to the Cold War Warrior bit because Russia is still our enemy and the new battle ground is cyberspace instead of nukes and treaties. Also my old man was a Cold War warrior, WWII vet, worked in defense..until he had an epiphany...but that stuff still filters down in that environment. I would have just as well tossed the Cold War stuff (like Catholicism) but it's engrained and there's obviously a problem if button down Bob Mueller gets animated about Russia still doing it "as we sit".

In any case, I'm not sure these things (Brexit) and dissolving (in the future) the EU would have happened without the Russians. Or it could have happened decades later, very differently...and who knows what events might have happened or changed things. I know, you can't bank on "If", but on the same token...the Russian did hack and influence two democracies elections. That's a major problem.

I agree that the Euro and economic policy, power players vs. the Southern slackers, was fraught with problems once the Euro was issued, while the UK kept the pound, etc...but Russia accelerated things. Maybe by decades. The thing is, we'll never know how much, until years later. Too early to tell what Brexit does to the UK. If Scotland breaks off and the there's issue with Northern Ireland and Ireland with the border and imports...could be a giant mess. We just don't know.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

Another Bear said:

After reading headlines today about buying Greenland, the Brazilian rain forests being set afire by some NGO or someone, Hong Kong, and on and on, it is like how much worse can it get with Brexit? There were reasons the UK voted for Brexit -certain UK industries were getting screwed by the folks in Brussels, which is what happens when you have multi-country compacts. You have to compromise.

I suspect the UK folks through they could end-up like the Swiss, with individual agreements with the EU, while maintaining independence. The problem is that a weaking EU (where Italy, Greece (occasionally), and other counties make noise about getting out), doesn't want to let anyone out on good terms, less they provide incentive for others to leave. Ireland clearly is a geo-political problem and provide the EU some leverage.

However, the impact on the UK economically probably is overstated, especially if a deal can be reached. If mot. the cost of EU goods goes up leading to some inflation in the short term, and UK industry being more competitive domestically. Sale of UK goods probably decline a lot in the EU market, but UK is now free to forge its own trade deals with counties outside the UK which could in the long run help UK business vs EU competitors, but in the near term means a loss in GDP. A lot of has made about uncertainty killing investment; however forecasts by the Bank of England and other of what would happen immediately after the Brexit referendum were way too pessimistic (actually wrong) according to recent studies by American economists (Stanford study). A lot of this has been investment in the UK from Asian markets (primality China) which are leaving the US due to deteriorating relations and taking advantage of the falling Pound. A lot of companies hedge their bets and moved operations to both the EU and UK. But the bottom line is there is a big uptick in foreign direct investment in the UK, which suggests from an economic standpoint, capital is not buying the doomsday scenarios. And then there is the wealth issue, a lot of EU assets are owned by the UK. In fact, Johnson has been not so subtle mentioning UK pension funds are more than double digit times bigger than all of German and French investment put together and his government would respond quite forcefully to protect those funds. What he means is quite the opposite, where the UK government will force divestment, crashing the EU stock markets. This is a valid threat, indeed a huge threat. Perhaps too huge a threat - as in putting both the UK and EU Into a recessionary spiral. I think the cold war military people called this approach the threat of mutual destruction. I'm not sure this will make the entire EU blink, but the EU may have less leverage than it thinks if the UK starts putting restrictions on ownership of EU assets and companies. The main response for the EU is to not allow UK banks access to the EU banks, and that would hurt both sets of banks. It would be as if the EU and UK fought a war and the Swiss won.

Johnson may be pompous, but he is not Trump. He is not starting trade wars with his biggest trading partner, he is not trying to buy counties, and I could just go on. There is a reason Merkel asked Johnson yesterday to come up with a new alternative proposal for the UK leaving in 30 days including to the Irish border back stop. Germany blinked.

Edit: the 30 days is for Johnson to present a new alternative, not for the UK to leave in 30 days.

I read it completely differently, WIAF.

1. Johnson sent a letter ahead of the visit saying UK would not do a deal with the Irish backstop - it is a violation of their sovereignty, etc.

2. On the visit Merkel responded by saying 1. They always had agreed to negotiate something regarding the Irish border in the next two years. If UK wants to do it in 30 days, fine. 2. It isn't her job to come up with a solution. They need to propose something if they want something other than in the current agreement. 3. Whatever that proposal is, a hard border won't fly. 4. The economic deal is not changing. 5. Oh, and by the way, if you want to end this stupidity and just come back to the EU, Germany would support that.

Merkel did not ask Johnson to come up with an alternative proposal INCUDING to the Irish border backstop. She asked him to come up with an alternative proposal to the Irish border back stop, full stop, nothing else, they aren't negotiating anything else. I don't believe Germany blinked.

My interpretation of it is this:

Johnson sent the letter to look tough, but to also signal to the EU - "look, politically I can't just come in here and go back with the exact same deal that May had. I need something. The biggest thing I can get that is of least impact to you is relief on the Irish backstop. (probably because largely immigration hawks drove Brexit in the first place). Politically I either have to get a concession or just fight and take the UK out without a deal. Merkel signaled back with - "I get that. You need to look like you accomplished something. We can listen on the Irish backstop because it was never going to be the end state. If that makes you look like a hero and it gets the deal done, fine with us. But you have to make a proposal. That proposal cannot be hard border. It IS your border. How are you going to manage it?" Johnson responded with humor quoting Merkel's campaign slogan in German translating to "We can do it"

My guess is that Johnson goes back, comes up with something on the Irish border that maybe makes sense, portrays it as a great concession from the EU. Tells hardliners privately this is the best we are going to get so you can either make it look like a political win or you can make it look like a political loss. Your choice. (If I were him, I'd threaten them with another Brexit vote if they hesitate.)

You are absolutely right that Johnson is not Trump. He is what some voters, I think including yourself hoped Trump would be. A bizarre showman in public, but underneath that basically a politician who knows what he is doing.

I don't like Johnson. He is a flat out liar - been caught many times just making up things out of nothing to make political points. I don't like what he stands for. I think guys like him on both sides of the aisle in America set the stage for someone like Trump by being dishonest, killing much of the public's trust in politicians, and playing to fears and division as long as it helps them politically. But unlike Trump, he is the guy that does those things to get elected and then knows how to govern.

Johnson knows full well he is in a precarious spot. There is real risk that Northern Ireland will be a disaster in this process. Scotland is mad as hell and would probably vote to leave the UK and go to the EU if they had an election today. He can't let this drag on much longer without big risk there. Wales is even ticked off. There is a real risk that if he blows this he will be the last PM to govern the United Kingdom as it is currently constructed.

But the nuances here are something Trump would not employ. Trump would just go in guns blazing (politically speaking). Johnson basically is looking for a political solution and essentially asked - is there room to make one or do we just drop this and fight now. He got what he needed now - there is room to talk. These are the parameters.
Unit2Sucks
Yeah Johnson seems like a smart guy pretending to be a buffoon to increase his appeal with deplorables or whatever the UK equivalent is. Trump is a buffoon who has only managed to convince deplorables that he's a smart guy. The difference is meaningful and we would be much better off if Trump were smart or realized how dumb he actually is.
BearlyCareAnymore
Unit2Sucks said:

Yeah Johnson seems like a smart guy pretending to be a buffoon to increase his appeal with deplorables or whatever the UK equivalent is. Trump is a buffoon who has only managed to convince deplorables that he's a smart guy. The difference is meaningful and we would be much better off if Trump were smart or realized how dumb he actually is.

I don't know whether Trump is dumb or not. But one thing he does not get is that for every single issue he has to deal with, he has brilliant people who have spent there whole lives on that issue and who currently spend every minute of work time on that issue. No one man can know everything a president needs to know. The president needs to set direction and needs to make the decisions-he shouldn't be a rubber stamp, but I've never seen an effective world leader that just ignores or actively distrusts the advice of his expert advisors. He seems to think being president is like sitting in a bar watching a football game questioning every play call like you actually think you could do it better. Probably the worst thing in terms of actual governance was that his attacks on "elites" seemingly defined as anyone with an education and experience turned out to be actual feeling, not just rhetoric
Anarchistbear
The divisions in Britain are the same as here. Rural places voted to leave; urban areas ( even in the North) voted to stay. Old people, leave. Young people stay. Immigrants stay; nationalists leave. Like here, It has nothing to do with Russians but everything to do with a society fracturing and looking for scapegoats..

The problem is the vote solves nothing. You replace one group of authoritarian exploiters with another group and leave 1/2 the country p$ssed and not just for an election cycle. If you are a young person your entire life and future got changed by Brexit

Brexit doesn't go far enough; it should be the dissolution of the UK. London, Manchester et al and Scotland should join the EU. The others should remain in their upstairs/downstairs world. Give them the Queen or string her up.
Another Bear
Welp...Boris Johnson suspends Parliament to get his way on Brexit. I don't know the mechanism of how that works or much about UK political system...but some are calling it soft coup, an authoritarian ouster of democracy.

'Stop the coup': Protests across UK over Johnson's suspension of parliament

You guys still think Boris better than Trump and not his evil twin?
wifeisafurd
Another Bear said:

Welp...Boris Johnson suspends Parliament to get his way on Brexit. I don't know the mechanism of how that works or much about UK political system...but some are calling it soft coup, an authoritarian ouster of democracy.

'Stop the coup': Protests across UK over Johnson's suspension of parliament

You guys still think Boris better than Trump and not his evil twin?
Can someone explain to me (1) why the Queen agreed to this? and (2) is the unprecedented, and why would Boris think there will be no backlash?

Brexit seems to always defy logic and the logic of suspending Parliament escapes me. Anyone care to explain the logic behind this move?
Another Bear
I can't but I agree, Brexit defies logic. I'm still trying to get my head around the whole thing. But this appears like serious stuff...slo-mo self destruction.

The crazy part is the average Brexit'er stands to lose more than most from it...but I suppose that's true of farmers, steel workers and others who voted for Trump's MAGA on the promise that he would save their industries.

p.s. the Queen is insulated from all this, her wealth, her standing, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.