Trump Abandons Our Kurdish Allies to Die

17,902 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dajo9
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump has abandoned our Kurdish allies who have been fighting by our side for 16 years now in Iraq and Syria. The Kurds put themselves in great jeopardy to fight beside us, always with the hope that we would assist them with sovereignty or, at a minimum, keep them from being massacred. We accepted their help happily in the fight against Saddam Hussein and the fight against ISIS. Particularly against ISIS the Kurds did most of the difficult ground fighting while America provided intelligence and air support. Now that the fighting is mostly over we are leaving and Trump's autocratic Turkish friends are preparing an offensive aimed at destroying the Kurdish base of power in Syria. Many, many Kurds will die.

The unrecognized nation of Kurdistan is democratic and has a Parliament. The Kurds should be our greatest allies between Israel and India. But Trump always supports his autocratic, corrupt allies. There are 7 Trump Towers in the world and one of them is in Istanbul.
American Vermin
bearister
I guess I was wrong about tRump blackmailing Lindsey Graham into compliance. I suppose when you touch Graham's "military nerve" you get a reaction.

Lindsey Graham blasts Trump for Syria pullback: 'A disaster in the making'

https://news.yahoo.com/lindsey-graham-blasts-trump-syria-130608132.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/lindsey-graham-blasts-trump-syria-130608132.html

...and then guess who finally felt compelled to speak out:

Colin Powell: The Republican Party Needs To 'Get a Grip' | Time

https://time.com/5693929/colin-powell-republican-party-trump/

*The predicted tRumpist response to Gen. Powell is that he is a liar based on his speech to the U.N. which sold the U.S. invasion of Iraq to the international community. I never faulted Gen. Powell for that because his speech was based on CIA intelligence reports that had been "cooked" by Dick Cheney.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
This is another Trump Chaos bomb meant to disrupt and unbalance the media. It's Trump's attempt to regain control of the news cycle. As sad as the reality is for the Kurds...the press isn't buying this chaos bomb. The severity of the action simply shows how disparate Trump is. He's grasping at straws.

The odd thing however is this tactic is usually done with an attack or act of warfare...not a diplomatic retreat, even if devastating.
bearister

Next up?

*When I was a kid and world events would scare me my dad would respond: "I've lived most of my life so I'm not afraid."

BearNIt
dajo9 said:

Trump has abandoned our Kurdish allies who have been fighting by our side for 16 years now in Iraq and Syria. The Kurds put themselves in great jeopardy to fight beside us, always with the hope that we would assist them with sovereignty or, at a minimum, keep them from being massacred. We accepted their help happily in the fight against Saddam Hussein and the fight against ISIS. Particularly against ISIS the Kurds did most of the difficult ground fighting while America provided intelligence and air support. Now that the fighting is mostly over we are leaving and Trump's autocratic Turkish friends are preparing an offensive aimed at destroying the Kurdish base of power in Syria. Many, many Kurds will die.

The unrecognized nation of Kurdistan is democratic and has a Parliament. The Kurds should be our greatest allies between Israel and India. But Trump always supports his autocratic, corrupt allies. There are 7 Trump Towers in the world and one of them is in Istanbul.
This move by the Idiot in Chief to abandon our long time Kurdish allies who put blood and soil into helping the United States of America fight the war on terror for almost 20 years is devastating to U.S. Foreign Policy. The Idiot in Chief reportedly made this decision without consulting other allies who have troops in Syria. The affect that this move will have on our standing in the world and our ability to gather allies to support our efforts around the world will be chilling. What ally would partner with the U.S. when at a moments notice the U.S. would pull out of the area without regard to the well being of our partners and their military personnel? There is no doubt that Turkey will use this situation to decimate the Kurds, the same Kurds who have time and time again fought with our special forces. You ask any special forces personnel who have fought with the Kurds and they will tell you that the Kurds have distinguished themselves on the battlefield.

If it is the position of the U.S. that the Middle East needs more democratic countries that share our values, then it should look no further than the Kurds. The Idiot in Chief with this action has proven again that the United States should not be trusted, that fighting with them is a fool's errand, like the first gulf war they will pull out and leave you to defend yourself. This is a shameful action that will come back to bite us in the ass.
B.A. Bearacus
Things real and wannabe dictators and people talking to themselves on the street say: "that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom."

Another Bear
That reads like an unraveling. Trump really sounds like he's losing his shtt. He's moved from general threats to threats of warfare and aggression...against an ally or former ally. Seems unhinged. I give him 3 weeks at this pace.
Another Bear

I'd say #a and #c. Putin knows the SS Trump has hit an impeachment iceberg and is going down...so he made his most extreme request before it does. All of Trump's crap points back to Russia and Putin; Ukraine, giving him a public BJ in Helsinki, this.
B.A. Bearacus
Even Kilmeade from Fox & Friends sees that the president is being evil and/or insane here:

B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear

So does the Kurds/Turks situation flip the GOP against Trump? Is this their wake up call that gets them to understand Trump is not acting in the U.S.'s interest, and move on Trump? Or do the GOP roll over as usual but ask for more lube this time around?
dajo9
What this thread needs is for Putin's agent, Cal88, to come in and explain why abandoning U.S. allies to their doom is good for the country.
American Vermin
BearNIt
Who knew that Erdogan was dictating U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East? What did he say to the Idiot in Chief to get this situation up and running? Were the Russians involved in this? If this happens we are ****ED in the Middle East. There will be no one who will ever fight on our behalf and that means if we ever have to go into the Middle East it will be American boots on the ground fighting against religious zealots
Bobodeluxe
Why do so many here hate Real Murkuh. The trip to Ole Miss reminded me of what country I live in.

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-cabinet-officials-resentful-of-increasing-power-w-1838851537
OneKeg
Obama shows a bit too much deference to some foreign leader, nodding his head too far down or whatever during a personal meeting: Obama opponents react with anger and outrage.

Trump unilaterally abandons our staunchest allies in an area where we have few true friends and leaves them to be slaughtered by a bloodthirsty neighboring dictator while personally collecting revenue from a property in said dictator's largest city: Trump opponents react with anger and outrage.

See you stupid liberals? Good people on both sides.

(/Sarcasm in case not obvious)
calpoly
dajo9 said:

What this thread needs is for Putin's agent, Cal88, to come in and explain why abandoning U.S. allies to their doom is good for the country.
I am sure we will hear from Cal88 once he gets the white house talking points.
BearNIt
Is it too much to say that because of the Idiot in Chief's actions that thousands of ISIS fighters, their families, and supporters that the Kurds were guarding in detention centers and camps will now be released into Iraq and Syria? The Kurds will have to mount a defense as they are forced to fight for their survival as Turkey moves into areas that the U.S. has vacated which have Kurdish fighters. The Idiot in Chief will be responsible for the release of thousands of terrorists per a Kurdish general who was explaining the repercussions of the U.S. pull out.
Cal Junkie
BearNIt said:

Is it too much to say that because of the Idiot in Chief's actions that thousands of ISIS fighters, their families, and supporters that the Kurds were guarding in detention centers and camps will now be released into Iraq and Syria? The Kurds will have to mount a defense as they are forced to fight for their survival as Turkey moves into areas that the U.S. has vacated which have Kurdish fighters. The Idiot in Chief will be responsible for the release of thousands of terrorists per a Kurdish general who was explaining the repercussions of the U.S. pull out.
Trump requires terrorist bogeymen to gin up his ill-bred and ill-educated base to improve his chances of remaining in power and skating on federal charges upon reelection.
dajo9
calpoly said:

dajo9 said:

I am sure we will hear from Cal88 once he gets the white house talking points.

Translated from the original Russian
American Vermin
bearister
This is the face of a good man and a life well led, tRump, a state of being you will never experience.

bearister
tRump Towers, Istanbul:

okaydo
bearister said:

tRump Towers, Istanbul:

Man, those buildings are beautiful. Really, they are some of the worlds most beautiful buildings.

If it means keeping those buildings standing and in American hands, then I'm all for sacrificing the Kurds.
bearister
Kurds are pipe toting, blow torch and pliers using mother f@uckers with long memories. No Crime Family member (including future generations of same) or tRump building will ever be safe again if he sells them out. That is a fact he may what to ponder.

B.A. Bearacus
"It's batshiit crazy."
BearForce2
concordtom
See my Lou Dobbs post, he says trump is right to abandon, and criticizes the many GOP members who spoke against trump on this.
It was very surprising.
concordtom
bearister said:

Next up?

*When I was a kid and world events would scare me my dad would respond: "I've lived most of my life so I'm not afraid."

That would be reason for a Patriot to take him out!
blungld
concordtom said:

Becomes more true and relevant a thought with each day that passes: "If you've ever wondered what you would have done in Nazi Germany, you're doing it now."
bearister
"Even Breitbart didn't flinch: "Kurdish forces who defeated Islamic State call Trump Syria withdrawal 'a stab in the back.'"
The bottom line: Trump's reliable conservative media machine is becoming more narrow and more loyal, while other members of the conservative media create some distance." Axios
calbear93
blungld said:

concordtom said:

Becomes more true and relevant a thought with each day that passes: "If you've ever wondered what you would have done in Nazi Germany, you're doing it now."
***?!

Really?

I may despise the man, but comparing him to Hitler (I guess it's the intellectually lazy analogy) and implicitly advocating assassination of a duly elected president make you nothing short of insane.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

Brutal.

The damage done to our standing in this world by this amateur narcissist and his band of enablers is shocking.

I would expect extremist in the far left like Sanders and Warren and in the far right like the Paul Rand libertarians to engage in isolationist delusions while living in a global society, but Pompeo and Esper enabling this type of destruction in our standing in the the world and our credibility will be their shameful legacy. They need to surrender their Republican card and their conservative credentials.

concordtom
blungld said:

concordtom said:

concordtom
calbear93 said:

blungld said:

concordtom said:

***?!

Really?

I may despise the man, but comparing him to Hitler (I guess it's the intellectually lazy analogy) and implicitly advocating assassination of a duly elected president make you nothing short of insane.
Consideration for comparison is entirely fair!

One cannot compare Trump to Hitler post-war. Hitler killed millions. Hitler launched WW2. Hitler rounded up Jews and exterminated them. He is very rare company in history for all that. Trump as done nothing of the sort.

However, if you compare Hitler's propaganda machine, if you compare Hitler's populism, if you compare the movement within this country to follow and obey, the tone, the lack of intellectualism, it's very comparable.

Trump is the kind of guy who COULD BECOME Hitler quite easily, I'm confident.

Assassination would be a horrible thing, and I do not advocate it.
However, let me ask you, calbear93: If you could magically turn back the clock and make it so Adolph Hitler were never born, would you do that? How do you think history might have gone differently?

These are philosophical questions, not calls for action. We should never (okay, VERY VERY rarely) try to right wrongs thru use of violence.
blungld
calbear93 said:

blungld said:

concordtom said:

***?!

Really?

The comparison is to the rise of a regime (not Hitler post war/Holocaust) that destroys democracy; rallies around loyalty to an authoritarian; drums up "others" as enemies; defiles language, liberties, and rights; builds on angry irrational populist fervor; unapologetically stokes fear and anger through the use of misinformation and propaganda doublespeak and gas lighting; and guises itself in patriotism and nationalism in a feckless power grab for the greedy elite and sociopaths.

As moment in history and what is now at stake, it's spot on. Do you stand and watch and rationalize, or do you have principles and value the best n America, or the worst in humanity?
calbear93
concordtom said:

calbear93 said:

blungld said:

concordtom said:

***?!

Really?

Consideration for comparison is entirely fair!

One cannot compare Trump to Hitler post-war. Hitler killed millions. Hitler launched WW2. Hitler rounded up Jews and exterminated them. He is very rare company in history for all that. Trump as done nothing of the sort.

However, if you compare Hitler's propaganda machine, if you compare Hitler's populism, if you compare the movement within this country to follow and obey, the tone, the lack of intellectualism, it's very comparable.

Trump is the kind of guy who COULD BECOME Hitler quite easily, I'm confident.

Assassination would be a horrible thing, and I do not advocate it.
However, let me ask you, calbear93: If you could magically turn back the clock and make it so Adolph Hitler were never born, would you do that? How do you think history might have gone differently?

These are philosophical questions, not calls for action. We should never (okay, VERY VERY rarely) try to right wrongs thru use of violence.
It is not a fair or even a philosophically interesting question.

Also, if you are comparing an entirely incompetent narcissist with maybe the greatest evil murderer in history, you have lost your sense of perspective.

Anyone could become Hitler. You could become Hitler. I don't know. But you are not yet Hitler. Until you are, I will not compare you to Hitler and I will not advocate your elimination. Fair?

I cannot magically make Hitler disappear from history, and this fantasizing about things that I would do if I could go back is just self glorification as if I alone can make things right.

There is constant evil in this world, some small and some great. There is evil on this board as well, with bitterness and strong desire to belittle someone for having a different viewpoint and inflating self-pride by thinking that repeating untested and unrealized principles over and over again makes one a better person. There is great evil in this world, including ISIS and genocide in Syria. There is suffering in this world, including homelessness and children going to sleep hungry. All of that was created by the evil in our hearts. Think of all of the hurt that you yourself created around you, even if not in the scale of Hitler. Instead of imagining something that will never happen, such as you going back in time or you somehow having the power to do something about Trump right now, change what you can change to remove a little bit of evil in your life. Be nice to those around you, not because they deserve it, but because it reduces a bit of the evil in this world. That is something you can actually do instead of thinking what you would do about Hitler. And that would be more interesting thing to consider.

But looking within ourselves and improving life around us is hard. It is a lot easier to call out famous people on a message board and mock people who don't march to our alleged principles because that actually doesn't require any effort or sacrifice. I am not necessarily pointing fingers, because we all do that. However, I think it is a weaker and more cowardly way to exercise moral integrity by mocking people instead of being kind to those around us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.