Elizabeth Warren has a Medicare 4 All Plan

13,539 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hanky1
Yogi14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

In the modern context, no, money put into a bank is not necessarily invested. A bank could hold reserves or invest in secondary markets (buying a stock or bond in the secondary market is not an investment in the GDP sense).
dajo9
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

I'm guessing the child-like arguments are based on being in Petrograd and not fully understanding U.S. economics.
Economics are universal. If putting $20 under my mattress is an investment in the U.S. then it is also an investment in Petrograd.

I'm thinking about a major investment in my sock drawer this winter
Hahahahaha
I'm thinking you should consider a major investment in college. Clearly the first one didn't take.
Then please educate me on how my sock drawer "investment" affects GDP
Guys, I'm not an econ major and watching the two of you throw out a bunch of jargon and formulas so you can compare the size of your...er...educations isn't the most elucidating and frankly I've just tried to skim for relevance so forgive me if I missed the point, but is this focus on someone putting savings in a mattress or a sock drawer really a relevant part of the discussion. Does any sizable portion of the money actually go there? Practically speaking isn't savings just money that is given to a bank who then turns around and invests it?
Yep. Unfortunately, dajo moved the goalposts, called me a fraud, and somehow still feels entitled to me responding to him. It's his problem that he can't accept that water is wet.

Moving the goalposts = I can't answer dajo's straightforward question about savings that are clearly not investments.
American Vermin
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

OaktownBear said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

I'm guessing the child-like arguments are based on being in Petrograd and not fully understanding U.S. economics.
Economics are universal. If putting $20 under my mattress is an investment in the U.S. then it is also an investment in Petrograd.

I'm thinking about a major investment in my sock drawer this winter
Hahahahaha
I'm thinking you should consider a major investment in college. Clearly the first one didn't take.
Then please educate me on how my sock drawer "investment" affects GDP
Guys, I'm not an econ major and watching the two of you throw out a bunch of jargon and formulas so you can compare the size of your...er...educations isn't the most elucidating and frankly I've just tried to skim for relevance so forgive me if I missed the point, but is this focus on someone putting savings in a mattress or a sock drawer really a relevant part of the discussion. Does any sizable portion of the money actually go there? Practically speaking isn't savings just money that is given to a bank who then turns around and invests it?
Yep. Unfortunately, dajo moved the goalposts, called me a fraud, and somehow still feels entitled to me responding to him. It's his problem that he can't accept that water is wet.

Moving the goalposts = I can't answer dajo's straightforward question about savings that are clearly not investments.
Dude, you already got called out by Oaktown for talking about putting money under a mattress. Take your loss and move on with your life. Being wrong isn't the end of the world, but you need to learn to accept it.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

In the modern context, no, money put into a bank is not necessarily invested. A bank could hold reserves or invest in secondary markets (buying a stock or bond in the secondary market is not an investment in the GDP sense).

Just stop - You're like Trump. Just repeat things boldly enough and people who don't know better will think you have a clue.

"When calculating the GDP, investment does NOT mean what we normally think of in the case of individuals. It does not mean buying stocks and bonds or putting money in a savings account. When calculating the GDP, investment means the purchases made by industry in new productive facilities, or, the process of "buying new capital and putting it to use"

http://mindtools.net/testgdp2/Soft-Project-3_print.html
American Vermin
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Just stop - You're like Trump. Just repeat things boldly enough and people who don't know better will think you have a clue.

"When calculating the GDP, investment does NOT mean what we normally think of in the case of individuals. It does not mean buying stocks and bonds or putting money in a savings account. When calculating the GDP, investment means the purchases made by industry in new productive facilities, or, the process of "buying new capital and putting it to use"

Do you even bother to read the links you post or do you just Google for snippets that sound good?

From the above link:

Now, let's look at the role played by personal savings. The Money Flow diagram indicates that personal savings (what we normally call "investment") is actually a source of revenue for industry. This is because the money you put in the bank is loaned to businesses so that they can put it to work. Money NOT circulated in this way -- the money you stuff in a mattress -- would actually be subtracted from the GDP. For the most part, however, people do not put money in mattresses and the bank system uses the personal savings of individuals to give industry its reservoir of money to work from. This is why economists say that the amount of Savings is always going to be approximately equal to the amount available for Investment.

From another source:

https://mises.org/library/saving-bad-economy

"Production of goods ready for consumption requires the use of capital goods, that is, of tools and of half-finished material. Capital comes into existence by saving, i.e., temporary abstention from consumption."

Through money, people channel real savings, which permit economic activity to take place. Thus, the saving of money by one individual supports the production of another individual, who in turn, by exchanging his produce for money, supports a third individual. Likewise, when a company issues stocks or bonds, the money received for these financial instruments enables the company to buy real savings goods and serviceswhich will enable it to pursue planned objectives.

In this way, money enables real savings to permeate across the economy and lift the pace of production of goods and services. Contrary to popular thinking, saving doesn't weaken aggregate spending; on the contrary, it reinforces it. On this, Henry Hazlitt, in his "Economics in One Lesson," wrote:

When money is saved and then invested it is used to buy or build capital goods. Any of these projects puts as much money into circulation and gives as much employment as the same amount of money spent directly on consumption. Saving in short in the modern world, is only another form of spending.

And since I know the above will lead to another pissing contest on Austrian economics, perhaps we should consider whether the Federal Reserve is enough of a reputable source for you.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/page1-econ/2012/05/01/wait-is-saving-good-or-bad-the-paradox-of-thrift/

However, in the long run, the accumulated money from individual savers is available for capital investment, a situation where businesses borrow to purchase capital (e.g., machinery and technology). Thus, an increase in the saving rate increases capital investment (e.g., investment in machinery for production). Such increases in capital stock ultimately lead to higher levels of business productivity and growth. Because economists are largely concerned with long-run growth and economic theory notes the positive aspects of increased saving, the paradox of thrift remains a controversial concept. So ultimately, it is OK to save for that big purchase since future consumption benefits both you and society.

NYCGOBEARS
Nietzsche v Kierkegaard this ain't.
Yogi14
NYCGOBEARS said:

Nietzsche v Kierkegaard this ain't.
More like Tyson vs. Spinks.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Do you even bother to read the links you post or do you just Google for snippets that sound good?

From the above link:

Now, let's look at the role played by personal savings. The Money Flow diagram indicates that personal savings (what we normally call "investment") is actually a source of revenue for industry. This is because the money you put in the bank is loaned to businesses so that they can put it to work. Money NOT circulated in this way -- the money you stuff in a mattress -- would actually be subtracted from the GDP. For the most part, however, people do not put money in mattresses and the bank system uses the personal savings of individuals to give industry its reservoir of money to work from. This is why economists say that the amount of Savings is always going to be approximately equal to the amount available for Investment.

From another source:

"Production of goods ready for consumption requires the use of capital goods, that is, of tools and of half-finished material. Capital comes into existence by saving, i.e., temporary abstention from consumption."

Through money, people channel real savings, which permit economic activity to take place. Thus, the saving of money by one individual supports the production of another individual, who in turn, by exchanging his produce for money, supports a third individual. Likewise, when a company issues stocks or bonds, the money received for these financial instruments enables the company to buy real savings goods and serviceswhich will enable it to pursue planned objectives.

In this way, money enables real savings to permeate across the economy and lift the pace of production of goods and services. Contrary to popular thinking, saving doesn't weaken aggregate spending; on the contrary, it reinforces it. On this, Henry Hazlitt, in his "Economics in One Lesson," wrote:

When money is saved and then invested it is used to buy or build capital goods. Any of these projects puts as much money into circulation and gives as much employment as the same amount of money spent directly on consumption. Saving in short in the modern world, is only another form of spending.

And since I know the above will lead to another pissing contest on Austrian economics, perhaps we should consider whether the Federal Reserve is enough of a reputable source for you.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/page1-econ/2012/05/01/wait-is-saving-good-or-bad-the-paradox-of-thrift/

However, in the long run, the accumulated money from individual savers is available for capital investment, a situation where businesses borrow to purchase capital (e.g., machinery and technology). Thus, an increase in the saving rate increases capital investment (e.g., investment in machinery for production). Such increases in capital stock ultimately lead to higher levels of business productivity and growth. Because economists are largely concerned with long-run growth and economic theory notes the positive aspects of increased saving, the paradox of thrift remains a controversial concept. So ultimately, it is OK to save for that big purchase since future consumption benefits both you and society.

The amount AVAILABLE for investment is not the same thing as investment.

The reason I call you a fraud is your penchant for citing Austrian economics like Mises whose whole reason for existence is to disprove the economic policies of people like Bernie Sanders.

Choose 2
Support Sanders
Support Mises
Have a coherent argument
American Vermin
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

From the above link:

From another source:

The reason I call you a fraud is your penchant for citing Austrian economics like Mises whose whole reason for existence is to disprove the economic policies of people like Bernie Sanders.

Choose 2
Support Sanders
Support Mises
Have a coherent argument
You continually wholly prove yourself unable or unwilling to actually address the content of what I post. This is why you are Cal 88 2.0 and why I prefer to just ignore you.
NYCGOBEARS
Please take your schlong measuring contest to PM, gentlemen
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

I think they can even include d pics in those.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Anarchistbear
Moderators, move this to the socks and c$cks forum.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

From the above link:

From another source:

Choose 2
Support Sanders
Support Mises
Have a coherent argument
You continually wholly prove yourself unable or unwilling to actually address the content of what I post. This is why you are Cal 88 2.0 and why I prefer to just ignore you.

I have addressed everything you wrote except for the Austrian economics garbage, which is conservative claptrap. You dont even know that you are arguing an economic theory that tries to disprove Sanders policies. You dont know the definition of investment in a GDP sense. You are wrong.

If you were right, there would have been an investment boom after the Trump tax cuts.
American Vermin
dajo9
NYCGOBEARS said:

Holy cow, lighten up guys.

Where else can you argue the nuances of S=I vs. S=Available for I but on the later pages of a tired thread in an off topic forum of a website for a mediocre sports program of a great academic institution?

American Vermin
wifeisafurd
Back on topic, here is an article by Rick Lowery, which I'm putting here not because I agree with it, but it does raise some points. Lowry is editor of the National Review, who plays nice with liberals (he is the right on NPR's Left, Right and Center) and was in a major pissing fight with Trump during the GOP primaries (he is one of those Republicans, like George Will, that hates Trump and has left the party as a result).

What's behind Liz Warren's humiliating retreat on 'Medicare for All'? https://nypost.com/2019/11/18/whats-behind-liz-warrens-humiliating-retreat-on-medicare-for-all/?

The problems he raises about salami slicing is a legit issue. I much prefer the transparency of Warren's we have to work for single payor (or whatever you call it). Other nations do this, they make everyone pay, and it always took some time to implement. My problem with salami slicing continues to be you get a half pregnant system, like Obamacare, that doesn't work (sorry Mr. Biden). At least with a public option you have a program that can be developed somewhat quickly, that people can use and conclude, this doesn't have all the horrible consequences we were worried about (or told about). And like the English and Aussie systems, you still have a private sector that has to compete and people can opt to use private providers if they so choose (and it usually is more expensive). This isn't salami cutting, it is a first step.

Lowry is usually good at recognizing political trends (thought he certainly got Trump wrong). Sure, he is right that Trump and the GOP will raise a stink about single payor, but it is one of those battles worth fighting. Even conservatives, if they pay attention, will appreciate that you can develop a system which in the long run will be more efficient, inclusive and less costly if done right. Americans and their employers pay way too much of their income to the medical system.

calbear93
wifeisafurd said:

Back on topic, here is an article by Rick Lowery, which I'm putting here not because I agree with it, but it does raise some points. Lowry is editor of the National Review, who plays nice with liberals (he is the right on PPR's Left, Right and Center) and was in a major pissing fight with Trump during the GOP primaries (he is one of those Republicans, like George Will, that hates Trump and has left the party as a result).

What's behind Liz Warren's humiliating retreat on 'Medicare for All'? https://nypost.com/2019/11/18/whats-behind-liz-warrens-humiliating-retreat-on-medicare-for-all/?

The problems he raises about salami slicing is a legit issue. I much prefer the transparency of Warren's we have to work for single payor (or whatever you call it). Other nations do this, they make everyone pay, and it always took some time to implement. My problem with salami slicing continues to be you get a half pregnant system, like Obamacare, that doesn't work (sorry Mr. Biden). At least with a public option you have a program that can be developed somewhat quickly, that people can use and conclude, this doesn't have all the horrible consequences we were worried about (or told about). And like the English and Aussie systems, you still have a private sector that has to compete and people can opt to use private providers if they so choose (and it usually is more expensive). This isn't salami cutting, it is a first step.

Lowry is usually good at recognizing political trends (thought he certainly got Trump wrong). Sure, he is right that Trump and the GOP will raise a stink about single payor, but it is one of those battles worth fighting. Even conservatives, if they pay attention, will appreciate that you can develop a system which in the long run will be more efficient, inclusive and less costly if done right. Americans and their employers pay way too much of their income to the medical system.

Even as someone who is open to a single payor system where everyone has some skin in the game and has to pay at least something for each service to avoid overuse of the services, I just don't have confidence that our government can get it done right.

I would much prefer a public option to force the government and the private sector to compete with each other. If expanded Medicare and the government truly are the better option, we will eventually move to a single payor system anyway.

Let's let the government prove itself in this industry before we hand over something like healthcare and medical services to the government as the only option.
LudwigsFountain
Glad to see we're back on topic. A while back I raised some issues that I haven't seen addressed. That may be because I skimmed and ignored most of the thread when it was dueling over mattress stuffing.

Anyway, my three big concerns with Warren's Medicare for all are:

1. As far as I can tell the proposal does not address the 40 trillion odd dollars of unfunded liability the current Medicare system bears. Fixing that issue is going to require additional taxes on the same order of magnitude that the expansion requires. Where are the funds to fix this issue coming from?

2. With some exceptions (Kaiser, for example) Medicare operates under a fee-for-service system with a utilization control system that is far, far less stringent than that employed by private insurance. In my experience these factors lead to a lot of unnecessary procedures and outright fraud. There's been some improvement in the fraud area lately, but I just don't have faith that you can effectively address this issue when there's little if any direct financial incentive to do so.

3. Our physicians, nurses and allied health personnel earn substantially more than their counterparts in the systems which have lower costs. (The comparisons are made after adjusting for difference in per-capita GDP.) We aren't going to bring our costs in line unless we reduce the compensation of these groups. I don't see that happening. In fact, I think the recent endorsement of Sanders by one of the largest nurse unions shows that they believe the regulatory capture that characterizes the current system would continue.

As I said before there are lots of problems with the current system. But I fear Medicare for all can only go one of two ways -- a far more expensive than proposed system that provides the same degree of access as Medicare does currently or lower costs accompanied by a devolution into Medicaid for all, with access issues those of you not familiar with that system can only imagine.

Again, I am in now way trying to pick a fight. But I would like to understand how the many thoughtful proponents of single payer here think these issues will be addressed. Or even if they think these are issues.

Yogi14
LudwigsFountain said:

Glad to see we're back on topic. A while back I raised some issues that I haven't seen addressed. That may be because I skimmed and ignored most of the thread when it was dueling over mattress stuffing.

Anyway, my three big concerns with Warren's Medicare for all are:

1. As far as I can tell the proposal does not address the 40 trillion odd dollars of unfunded liability the current Medicare system bears. Fixing that issue is going to require additional taxes on the same order of magnitude that the expansion requires. Where are the funds to fix this issue coming from?

2. With some exceptions (Kaiser, for example) Medicare operates under a fee-for-service system with a utilization control system that is far, far less stringent than that employed by private insurance. In my experience these factors lead to a lot of unnecessary procedures and outright fraud. There's been some improvement in the fraud area lately, but I just don't have faith that you can effectively address this issue when there's little if any direct financial incentive to do so.

3. Our physicians, nurses and allied health personnel earn substantially more than their counterparts in the systems which have lower costs. (The comparisons are made after adjusting for difference in per-capita GDP.) We aren't going to bring our costs in line unless we reduce the compensation of these groups. I don't see that happening. In fact, I think the recent endorsement of Sanders by one of the largest nurse unions shows that they believe the regulatory capture that characterizes the current system would continue.

As I said before there are lots of problems with the current system. But I fear Medicare for all can only go one of two ways -- a far more expensive than proposed system that provides the same degree of access as Medicare does currently or lower costs accompanied by a devolution into Medicaid for all, with access issues those of you not familiar with that system can only imagine.

Again, I am in now way trying to pick a fight. But I would like to understand how the many thoughtful proponents of single payer here think these issues will be addressed. Or even if they think these are issues.
1. Forgive me, but I'm no expert on health care. I'm not entirely sure what you're mentioning here with the unfunded liability - could you elaborate some on what that is?

2. I wonder how much out and out fraud there is out there. I'm sure studies have been done, but I'm not aware of what they're saying.

3. I wonder a lot about this one. On the one hand, if the people in the health care industry aren't making as much as they did before, that will tend to encourage some of the people who might otherwise become doctors and nurses to seek employment in other sectors which would lead to somewhat of a brain drain. On the other, even with some wage disparity, the overall health outcomes for a lot of these countries is higher. My guess is that it can work, but we need to study how some of the other countries with working systems do it to do it so that we can adopt a more-or-less proven methodology.

But on the other hand, universal health care isn't happening with a Republican majority in the Senate so it's all mental masturbation to some extent.
sycasey

3. I wonder a lot about this one. On the one hand, if the people in the health care industry aren't making as much as they did before, that will tend to encourage some of the people who might otherwise become doctors and nurses to seek employment in other sectors which would lead to somewhat of a brain drain. On the other, even with some wage disparity, the overall health outcomes for a lot of these countries is higher. My guess is that it can work, but we need to study how some of the other countries with working systems do it to do it so that we can adopt a more-or-less proven methodology.
Yeah, I wonder about this. How many of those other countries actually face doctor shortages? Do doctors have to pay less to go to school in the first place? (That's another thing that could maybe be reformed.) Are they happier even with less pay because they don't have to deal with insurance companies?

How much of the high doctor pay in the US is for specialists (surgeons) when what we really need are more generalists and pediatricians (who don't get paid as much)? Perhaps this is a necessary correction.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Back on topic, here is an article by Rick Lowery, which I'm putting here not because I agree with it, but it does raise some points. Lowry is editor of the National Review, who plays nice with liberals (he is the right on PPR's Left, Right and Center) and was in a major pissing fight with Trump during the GOP primaries (he is one of those Republicans, like George Will, that hates Trump and has left the party as a result).

Even as someone who is open to a single payor system where everyone has some skin in the game and has to pay at least something for each service to avoid overuse of the services, I just don't have confidence that our government can get it done right.

I would much prefer a public option to force the government and the private sector to compete with each other. If expanded Medicare and the government truly are the better option, we will eventually move to a single payor system anyway.

Let's let the government prove itself in this industry before we hand over something like healthcare and medical services to the government as the only option.

I like the idea of a public option the private sector has to compete with as well
American Vermin
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

Yeah, I wonder about this. How many of those other countries actually face doctor shortages? Do doctors have to pay less to go to school in the first place? (That's another thing that could maybe be reformed.) Are they happier even with less pay because they don't have to deal with insurance companies?

How much of the high doctor pay in the US is for specialists (surgeons) when what we really need are more generalists and pediatricians (who don't get paid as much)? Perhaps this is a necessary correction.
This is antidotal. I found out that I had an inner ear issue when on boats while out on the Great Barrier Reef after the Cal/Hawaii game in Sidney. They actually have a form of pubic-private option (i.e., a hybrid system). The trip medical insurance had me see a public generalist in Cairnes who diagnosed the condition, but had to have ruled out certain things before clearing me for travel, that required seeing a neurologist. The wait to see a neurologist in the area was over 30 days, unless it was an emergency, and my travel plans did not constitute that. So the insurer was forced to send me a private neurologist (trained in the US btw), who in two minutes cleared me to fly home. In my discussion with him on the medical system, he said there was a significant shortage of public specialists outside the major cities (note Australia in general has a labor shortages), but you usually can get into to see a generalist. So the system works for minor stuff quite efficiently and well, which has the overall population healthier. Study ranks Australian healthcare system among world's best https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-17/australian-healthcare-ranked-second-best-in-developed-world/8716326 via @ABCNews.

The system if you read the article does not do well on equity. The problem is that the public generalists also don't want take on extra risk given how much they are paid, so they often don't treat outside their area, which forces patients to go private for specialists who charge more, or at least that is what the doctor said. The alternative is to get admitted to a public hospital if the matter is urgent, and then see a public specialist in a pubic hospital, all of which requires forms and approvals galore. So there is self-rationing element in their system, and also private doctors who do make more money (there also is private insurance for private doctors and private hospitals). As I said in the original post, there is no perfect system. In 2014-2015 government fiscal year, private health insurance expenditures represented 8.7 percent of all health spending, and a little under 50% of the population does pay for private insurance.

There is a 2% levy on income to pay for the public health care (which they call Medicare) and most people use Medicare for general ailments. There are out of pocket costs in the general system so even the poor have some skin in the game. Most Aussies like their system. Medicare ahead by a mile in popularity stakes https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/medicare-ahead-by-a-mile-in-popularity-stakes-20140510-zr8pm.html via @smh
LudwigsFountain
The unfunded liability is the present value of future projected cost less future projected revenue (the Medicare tax and Part B premiums). It's calculated annually as part of the Trustee's report on Medicare.

Incidentally, I once looked at the ten year cost projections from several ten year old reports and found that the actual costs were higher by a 15 to 20% margin, so I tend to think the projected liability is actually larger.

wifeisafurd
LudwigsFountain said:

The unfunded liability is the present value of future projected cost less future projected revenue (the Medicare tax and Part B premiums). It's calculated annually as part of the Trustee's report on Medicare.

Incidentally, I once looked at the ten year cost projections from several ten year old reports and found that the actual costs were higher by a 15 to 20% margin, so I tend to think the projected liability is actually larger.

Two comments to your good point.

First, Medicare has issues controlling costs on specialty drugs with very high price tags. These are some big ticket meds that cost far less outside the country that Medicare has to pick up the tab for once people burn through the donut and max coverage (so appreciate that someone has already paid approx 18K). in some cases, talking a couple hundred thousand a year per patient The irony is that the drug companies have set up rebate plans for private insurers that otherwise would not cover the drugs,, while Medicare pays huge dollars (basically Medicare is funding the rebate programs for non-medicare patients). These few drugs account for 35% of all money spent per the Congressional Budget Office. As new drugs come on the market, the number gets larger. Some legislative reform is needed (but won't happen due to lobbyist efforts), or that deficit will continue to grow.

Second, Medicare intentionally keeps premiums low, using a pay as you go approach. No business would do this if it knew its costs were increasing because of more projected users, but there you have it. They should start building reserves.

So yes, there was that qualification about a properly run plan. If you want good medical coverage, you pay for it. In fact, most countries have found everyone has to pay for it.
Another Bear
...and there's this...

Almost Half Of Men In The U.S. Are Uncomfortable With A Female President
golden sloth
Another Bear said:

...and there's this...

I found this sentence more surprising:

Quote:

It seems like a promising time for women in politics, yet a survey published Tuesday found that just 49% of men and 59% of women in the U.S. would feel "very comfortable" with a woman as the head of government.
I'm kind of surprised the difference between men and women is only 10%. Why does that 41% not trust their own gender?
wifeisafurd
golden sloth said:

Another Bear said:

...and there's this...

Quote:

It seems like a promising time for women in politics, yet a survey published Tuesday found that just 49% of men and 59% of women in the U.S. would feel "very comfortable" with a woman as the head of government.
I'm kind of surprised the difference between men and women is only 10%. Why does that 41% not trust their own gender?
Aslo strange that in the index, the US came in third in terms of women succeeding. Something doesn't connect. Maybe a good portion of those polled are not comfortable with anyone being President.
Yogi14
LudwigsFountain said:

TYVM for the explanation.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

Another Bear said:

...and there's this...

Quote:

Aslo strange that in the index, the US came in third in terms of women succeeding. Something doesn't connect. Maybe a good portion of those polled are not comfortable with anyone being President.
I'm a little skeptical about the reporting here. When it quotes the survey it keeps using the term in quotes "very comfortable" then it flips to language of "comfortable" and "uncomfortable" not in quotes. Normally a survey would ask "very comfortable", "comfortable", "uncomfortable", "very uncomfortable". The opposite of "very comfortable" is not uncomfortable as this article implies. Normally you would combine respondents saying "very comfortable" and "comfortable" into an overall "comfortable" category. If the survey only gives the option to say "very comfortable" it is skewing the results.

It would also be better to see the numbers asking the question about men for a comparison.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

Back on topic, here is an article by Rick Lowery, which I'm putting here not because I agree with it, but it does raise some points. Lowry is editor of the National Review, who plays nice with liberals (he is the right on NPR's Left, Right and Center) and was in a major pissing fight with Trump during the GOP primaries (he is one of those Republicans, like George Will, that hates Trump and has left the party as a result).

I have to point out that in the last two weeks in the realclearpolitics average of national polls, Warren has lost 3.6% points to Biden, 3.8% to Bernie and 2.9% to Buttigieg. Her support has gone down 2.1% while the others have gained. I think that confirms my theory about why you saw the big backtrack on healthcare from her campaign.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I have to point out that in the last two weeks in the realclearpolitics average of national polls, Warren has lost 3.6% points to Biden, 3.8% to Bernie and 2.9% to Buttigieg. Her support has gone down 2.1% while the others have gained. I think that confirms my theory about why you saw the big backtrack on healthcare from her campaign.
Interesting. The reason I picked Warren to win a while back is because I think she is more where the party is moving (apparently that is somewhat an overstatement presently). Like it or not, the Democratic Party is one built largely around issues of identity. As such, it seemed unlikely to me that party voters will ensure that a 70-something white man is the next President. This means that both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are disqualified. So far the polls suggest otherwise with respect to Biden, and in particular, he has wide support from black voters. Warren on the other hand, can still excite women voters. Warren and Bernie are thought to have supporter overlap. If Bernie were to drop out of the race, it's likely Warren who would gain his supporters. As those two candidates snipe over Medicare for all I'm not so sure they are on the same page. Warren has smartly made enemies with the tech industry - that sells in a lot of places. The media likes her - since her campaign announcement, she has remained in the news, getting a steady flow of articles written about her. No so with Sanders.

The nomination field is quite crowded. The emergence of a major frontrunner especially one as flawed as Joe Biden who I admittedly support is unlikely for some time. A consensus forming around any one candidate will take time unless someone gains momentum from actually winning primaries, not polls. It is this time that Warren the best shot at the nomination, as I think the Dems go more left in response to the Senate basically blowing off impeachment, SCOTUS supporting Trump on variety of issues like DACA, and Trump being Trump. I could be very wrong.

Anarchistbear
The Democrats are three groups-
1. professional class, mostly white
2. The remnants of the traditional white union working class
3. Minorities, also mostly working class

The first group is more socially liberal and ironically more identify focused. The second is economically liberal and socially conservative. The third group is also economically liberal and more socially liberal than number two but less so than number 1.

Biden's strength is 2 and 3. Warren's is 1. Sanders is mostly 2 and 3. Buttigieg is 1.

If Warren falters, Buttigieg may gain but how he does after Iowa and New Hampshire are key- he has significant problems with minorities and it just isn't that they don't know him.

Sanders supporters are most loyal and he will never quit the race. Oddly he may benefit greatly by the Warren- Buttigieg-Biden tussle. If Buttigieg actually surges, he may pick up strength from Warren's constituency and be the "progressive" standard bearer.

Iowa and New Hampshire are very important for Buttigieg and Warren. Warren can't afford to finish third in both. Buttigieg has to at least finish second in one or both to build momentum. Sanders and Biden will soldier on. Biden will win South Carolina- barring a miracle- and the big industrial states and the south will be good for him. Sanders will be stronger in Nevada than people think and also strong like last time in the industrial Midwest.
wifeisafurd
Anarchistbear said:

The first group is more socially liberal and ironically more identify focused. The second is economically liberal and socially conservative. The third group is also economically liberal and more socially liberal than number two but less so than number 1.

Biden's strength is 2 and 3. Warren's is 1. Sanders is mostly 2 and 3. Buttigieg is 1.

If Warren falters, Buttigieg may gain but how he does after Iowa and New Hampshire are key- he has significant problems with minorities and it just isn't that they don't know him.

Sanders supporters are most loyal and he will never quit the race. Oddly he may benefit greatly by the Warren- Buttigieg-Biden tussle. If Buttigieg actually surges, he may pick up strength from Warren's constituency and be the "progressive" standard bearer.

Iowa and New Hampshire are very important for Buttigieg and Warren. Warren can't afford to finish third in both. Buttigieg has to at least finish second in one or both to build momentum. Sanders and Biden will soldier on. Biden will win South Carolina- barring a miracle- and the big industrial states and the south will be good for him. Sanders will be stronger in Nevada than people think and also strong like last time in the industrial Midwest.
I get where you are gong, and this is not a bad way to generalize the Dems.. Let me give you another distinction. The gender gap means a lot more Dems are women. You keep thinking women would be doing better as candidates, but they are not. I keep thinking identity politics matter and should help Warren at the lead woman candidate in the field. Maybe not in the polls yet, but in the ballot box. Again, watch me proved wrong.

I agree Sanders has staying power, but if he can't gain more traction, does he blow out and defer to Warren?
Another Bear
golden sloth said:

Another Bear said:

...and there's this...

Quote:

My guess: internalized sexism, traditional gender roles and old fashion self-hate...off the internalized sexism. Just think Sarah Pailin or any other woman who is anti-woman. That 41% sounds like Trump's base or the Tea Party, extreme Christian right. Sexism runs deep, very deep.
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

The white working class is the most invested in identity politics and they mostly vote Republican.

White men give them a pass on their identity politics because the identity they like is white men.

Example below
|
|
V
American Vermin
Anarchistbear
wifeisafurd said:

Anarchistbear said:

I get where you are gong, and this is not a bad way to generalize the Dems.. Let me give you another distinction. The gender gap means a lot more Dems are women. You keep thinking women would be doing better as candidates, but they are not. I keep thinking identity politics matter and should help Warren at the lead woman candidate in the field. Maybe not in the polls yet, but in the ballot box. Again, watch me proved wrong.

I agree Sanders has staying power, but if he can't gain more traction, does he blow out and defer to Warren?

Warren, Harris and Buttigieg all vie for the professional class constituency which is more identity conscious. This will sort itself out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.