The Billion-Dollar Disinformation Campaign to Reelect the President

3,876 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...and tRump has the same platform except in favor of corporations and the wealthy.

Though AT&T is earning record profits, spending billions on stock buybacks and is expecting an estimated windfall of $20 billion in savings from Donald Trump's tax reforms, it has continued to lay off workers and outsource jobs in favor of offshore alternatives in countries such as India, the Philippines and Mexico (16,000 employees in US laid of starting in 2011). The Guardian

*Hard to believe that photo isn't fake. Reality more bizarre than fantasy.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

Uhhh that post wasn't in any way responsive to mine. How have the lives of the middle class improved since Obama?

As for home ownership, why did you choose 1960 as opposed to 2005 (when the rate was 70%)?

Anyone can cherry pick random numbers but the reality is that we are nowhere near the 4%+ GDP growth that Trump promised and that his defenders said he would deliver. Yet we have $1T deficits and rising with no end in sight. How much flexibility will that leave us to claw our way out of the next recession? Am I the only one who remembers when conservatives used to claim that deficits matter?

The results we are seeing under Trump are very little different from what we saw under Obama. The big difference is that we massively cut taxes for corporations and rich people, have massively increased our annual deficits and yet have no incremental gains to show for it. 2.3% growth last year with similar prospects for 2020. It's funny how that level of growth was unacceptable under Obama (who did so while reducing the deficit most years) whereas Trump is increasing deficits every year.
I agree with you about the deficit but let's be honest, nobody cares about that issue except small government types and the people who's party is not in power.

Disaffected people have been disproportionately helped by the Trump economy. You've seen the unemployment numbers by race. African American home ownership is up, at an all time high(??). Wages are up. Blue collar employment is up. Manufacturing jobs have come back. That's all real stuff.

The ugly little truth is that when we stop using massive illegal immigration to create a servant class of underpaid labor for ****head corporatists like the Koch brothers wages organically go up for groups who traditionally are undereducated and underemployed. Maybe that's not the middle class you refer to but it's a segment of the population that use to be the domain of one party but may just belong to the President now.
bearister
Who is going to do the work the immigrants did?
Unit2Sucks
Tequla4kapp - that sounds nice but wage growth is slower now than during Obama's last few years in office, per the article I posted above.

I think it's important to distinguish between facts and propaganda.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Uhhh that post wasn't in any way responsive to mine. How have the lives of the middle class improved since Obama?

As for home ownership, why did you choose 1960 as opposed to 2005 (when the rate was 70%)?

Anyone can cherry pick random numbers but the reality is that we are nowhere near the 4%+ GDP growth that Trump promised and that his defenders said he would deliver. Yet we have $1T deficits and rising with no end in sight. How much flexibility will that leave us to claw our way out of the next recession? Am I the only one who remembers when conservatives used to claim that deficits matter?

The results we are seeing under Trump are very little different from what we saw under Obama. The big difference is that we massively cut taxes for corporations and rich people, have massively increased our annual deficits and yet have no incremental gains to show for it. 2.3% growth last year with similar prospects for 2020. It's funny how that level of growth was unacceptable under Obama (who did so while reducing the deficit most years) whereas Trump is increasing deficits every year.
I agree with you about the deficit but let's be honest, nobody cares about that issue except small government types and the people who's party is not in power.

Disaffected people have been disproportionately helped by the Trump economy. You've seen the unemployment numbers by race. African American home ownership is up, at an all time high(??). Wages are up. Blue collar employment is up. Manufacturing jobs have come back. That's all real stuff.

The ugly little truth is that when we stop using massive illegal immigration to create a servant class of underpaid labor for ****head corporatists like the Koch brothers wages organically go up for groups who traditionally are undereducated and underemployed. Maybe that's not the middle class you refer to but it's a segment of the population that use to be the domain of one party but may just belong to the President now.

It's funny how easily people are duped by Trump. Black homeownership isn't at a record high. That's a Trump lie. It peaked in 2004 at 49%. It is currently 44%.

You have to wonder - when will these people stop eating lies with a smile on their face humiliating themselves?
tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

Tequla4kapp - that sounds nice but wage growth is slower now than during Obama's last few years in office, per the article I posted above.

I googled it and looked at the top few responses. Every one of them show wages higher under Trump than Obama. They also show massive debt increases under Obama, which runs directly contrary to the claim you made more than once that deficits decreased under Obama - or perhaps there's a way to increase national debt while decreasing the annual deficit. The data I see show several categories where Trump's economy is a continuation of goodness at the end of Obama's 2nd term, a few that are better and a few that are comparable. The article you linked was by Bloomberg. You'll excuse me for dismissing that source as inherently biased. The unemployment rate is one of the categories that shows as a continuation. However, I remember in my freshman college Econ class being told 4.0 was basically 0 so I personally give credit to the current rate as being more than a mere continuation.
tequila4kapp
dajo9 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It's funny how easily people are duped by Trump. Black homeownership isn't at a record high. That's a Trump lie. It peaked in 2004 at 49%. It is currently 44%.

You have to wonder - when will these people stop eating lies with a smile on their face humiliating themselves?
Perhaps you missed the "??" adjacent to the all time high statement. I wasn't clear about the stat I had seen. That was meant to be a qualifier acknowledging I could be wrong. All that considered, your characterization of me seems a little harsh. Now that I'm forced to think about it more I believe the statistic I heard /saw may have been that AA home ownership was up 2% to 46%. But again, I could be misremembering a particular detail that IMO is unrelated to the overall story that the economy - as evidenced in part by home ownership rates - has been good for AA's.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I googled it and looked at the top few responses. Every one of them show wages higher under Trump than Obama. They also show massive debt increases under Obama, which runs directly contrary to the claim you made more than once that deficits decreased under Obama - or perhaps there's a way to increase national debt while decreasing the annual deficit. The data I see show several categories where Trump's economy is a continuation of goodness at the end of Obama's 2nd term, a few that are better and a few that are comparable. The article you linked was by Bloomberg. You'll excuse me for dismissing that source as inherently biased. The unemployment rate is one of the categories that shows as a continuation. However, I remember in my freshman college Econ class being told 4.0 was basically 0 so I personally give credit to the current rate as being more than a mere continuation.

Lol, yes there is a way to increase the debt while reducing the deficit. You are talking about things you don't understand. You don't understand rates of change and absolute levels.

Here's a hint for you:. Every President in American history can brag about record high wages. Only Trump supporters fall for that idiocy.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

dajo9 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Perhaps you missed the "??" adjacent to the all time high statement. I wasn't clear about the stat I had seen. That was meant to be a qualifier acknowledging I could be wrong. All that considered, your characterization of me seems a little harsh. Now that I'm forced to think about it more I believe the statistic I heard /saw may have been that AA home ownership was up 2% to 46%. But again, I could be misremembering a particular detail that IMO is unrelated to the overall story that the economy - as evidenced in part by home ownership rates - has been good for AA's.

You repeat a Trump lie, you own it. After 17,000 documented lies you don't get a pass because of a question mark. Take some responsibility. Know who is lying to you.
tequila4kapp
dajo9 said:

tequila4kapp said:

dajo9 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You repeat a Trump lie, you own it. After 17,000 documented lies you don't get a pass because of a question mark. Take some responsibility. Know who is lying to you.
Whatever. I thought this was a message board, not that I was writing a disertation that required citations and peer review. Give me a freaking break.
Unit2Sucks
Tequila - Obama started with super high deficits as we clawed our way out of Bush's financial crisis. He cut the deficit by more than half during his time in office. Obama managed to generate (slow) growth while reducing the deficit (by almost $1t from 2009 to 2015 before rising in 2015) and Trump has managed to generate (slow) growth while greatly increasing the deficit (by 50% from 2016 to 2019 and expected to continue to rise).

As dajo noted, wages of course are higher than under Obama but real wage growth has slowed. Real wage growth is the best way to assess the financial progress of the middle class. It's certainly not stock market performance given that 80% is held by the top 10% and most households own less than $5k worth. If you were a Fox News viewer you would have been intimately familiar with these data points during Obama's term when they regularly criticized the economy but mysteriously everything changed in January 2016. All of the sudden unemployment numbers mattered again and Trump stopped claiming that some people said the unemployment rate was as high as 42% (and yes he actually claimed that when the real rate was 5%).

Don't fall for the propaganda.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

Tequila - Obama started with super high deficits as we clawed our way out of Bush's financial crisis. He cut the deficit by more than half during his time in office. Obama managed to generate (slow) growth while reducing the deficit (by almost $1t from 2009 to 2015 before rising in 2015) and Trump has managed to generate (slow) growth while greatly increasing the deficit (by 50% from 2016 to 2019 and expected to continue to rise).

As dajo noted, wages of course are higher than under Obama but real wage growth has slowed. Real wage growth is the best way to assess the financial progress of the middle class. It's certainly not stock market performance given that 80% is held by the top 10% and most households own less than $5k worth. If you were a Fox News viewer you would have been intimately familiar with these data points during Obama's term when they regularly criticized the economy but mysteriously everything changed in January 2016. All of the sudden unemployment numbers mattered again and Trump stopped claiming that some people said the unemployment rate was as high as 42% (and yes he actually claimed that when the real rate was 5%).

Don't fall for the propaganda.
You're a tough customer, but I'll give it another shot. All Fed "propaganda" below, and the first one is your favorite--real wages:

Real wages up: Real wage growth
Discretionary spending is also up: Personal expenditures-durable goods
Personal savings is also up: Personal savings rate
Home ownership rate is also up: Home ownership rate
Real disposable personal income up: Real disposal personal income
Unemployment lowest since 1969: US unemployment rate
Cal88
bearister said:

The 2020 Election Will Be a War of Disinformation - The Atlantic

And who do you think will be the beneficiary of disinformation on FB in 2020?

Cal88
bearister said:

Who is going to do the work the immigrants did?
Locals will, once the companies exploiting illegal immigrants raise their wages. "Locals" of course includes the tens of millions of people who came into the US as illegals and got status, and their children.

Meat processing plants in MS and AR have been paying illegals $6-7/hr and using mostly illegals. The ones that got busted ended up having to double that wage and replaced their underpaid illegal workforce with minorities making $15/hr. This resulted in a price increase of around $0.25/chicken, which didn't affect their bottom line much but which helped the local economy, and the welfare of local minorities and their families.

The calculus of those who espouse neoliberal free trade ideology does not take into account the economic and social externalities of lower wages and outsourcing that come with open borders and free trade. That ideology has been deeply rooted in the American mindset on both sides of the isle through academia, think tanks and the MSM, but it is one that the rest of the world doesn't abide by, with good reason.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

You're a tough customer, but I'll give it another shot. All Fed "propaganda" below, and the first one is your favorite--real wages:

You don't seem to understand that none of these things are evidence of anything Trump has done. These are all up and to the right graphs. If I removed the time scale there is no chance you could pinpoint when Trump took office or when Trump enacted some legislation or policy that moved the needle. Some of these are even flat - like personal savings rate which is back to where it was from 2014-2016.

This isn't a trick question. I'm asking you to point out how something Trump has done (through policy, legislation or otherwise) has created a positive economic benefit for the middle class. Simply pointing to a chart without tying it to some action Trump has specifically taken is not good enough.

By the way, for convenience I've attached each chart you referenced without the time scale so please feel free to point to these when you show me what Trump has done (each of them started during Obama's term and ends at the present).

LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

You don't seem to understand that none of these things are evidence of anything Trump has done. These are all up and to the right graphs. If I removed the time scale there is no chance you could pinpoint when Trump took office or when Trump enacted some legislation or policy that moved the needle. Some of these are even flat - like personal savings rate which is back to where it was from 2014-2016.

This isn't a trick question. I'm asking you to point out how something Trump has done (through policy, legislation or otherwise) has created a positive economic benefit for the middle class. Simply pointing to a chart without tying it to some action Trump has specifically taken is not good enough.

By the way, for convenience I've attached each chart you referenced without the time scale so please feel free to point to these when you show me what Trump has done (each of them started during Obama's term and ends at the present).

You mean I'm showing you Federal Reserve data on 6 real outcomes for real Americans, including the data on real wages you covet, and now I have the added burden of proof to demonstrate that a specific Trump policy was the impetus for each outcome? I guess you alone would also get to decide on the weight of the evidence also, right? Pretty high-and-mighty of you wouldn't you say? Wouldn't it be a little more gentlemanly for you to show some hard data proving how Trump had nothing to do with the data presented?
Cal88

Vintage Bernie:

bearister
Cal88 said:

tRump again of course. That is where my tRump supporting Evangelical golfing buddies get all their bizarro tRump world beliefs. tRump will protect Zuckerberg. Nice try, though.
Cal88
bearister said:

Cal88 said:

tRump again of course. That is where my tRump supporting Evangelical golfing buddies get all their bizarro tRump world beliefs. tRump will protect Zuckerberg. Nice try, though.

Bizarro Evangelical golfers are going to generate and consume their own content and vote Trump regardless, It's the FB feeds of the less committed voters that will get "nudged" by Zuckerborg's algorithms.

Jommy Dore with some good insights:

Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You mean I'm showing you Federal Reserve data on 6 real outcomes for real Americans, including the data on real wages you covet, and now I have the added burden of proof to demonstrate that a specific Trump policy was the impetus for each outcome? I guess you alone would also get to decide on the weight of the evidence also, right? Pretty high-and-mighty of you wouldn't you say? Wouldn't it be a little more gentlemanly for you to show some hard data proving how Trump had nothing to do with the data presented?
I've been consistent in my request and you've consistently been unable to provide any evidence.

Here's my hard evidence: the charts above all begin during the Obama era and continue today. None of them evidence any new trends that started under Trump. If you think the economy is great now, how do you think it was different under Obama? The biggest difference is that one was accomplished with decreasing government stimulus (eg deficit reduction) and one was accomplished with increasing government stimulus.

At this point I'm done with conversation since it's obvious you are more interested in pretending that you have won as opposed to actually trying to convince anyone that Trump has done anything for the middle class, other than take credit for trends that began under Obama. I hope you have benefited by those trends whether you credit Obama, Trump or no one.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I've been consistent in my request and you've consistently been unable to provide any evidence.

Here's my hard evidence: the charts above all begin during the Obama era and continue today. None of them evidence any new trends that started under Trump. If you think the economy is great now, how do you think it was different under Obama? The biggest difference is that one was accomplished with decreasing government stimulus (eg deficit reduction) and one was accomplished with increasing government stimulus.

At this point I'm done with conversation since it's obvious you are more interested in pretending that you have won as opposed to actually trying to convince anyone that Trump has done anything for the middle class, other than take credit for trends that began under Obama. I hope you have benefited by those trends whether you credit Obama, Trump or no one.
If you think the Democrats are going to win by using the economy as an issue you are dreaming. All the data show that people are better off today than they were in 2016, and that's what counts. It doesn't matter if it was because of Trump or Obama. Incumbents don't get bounced on the economy when all the indicators are up, regardless of whether they had anything to do with it. You'll admit that much won't you? Voters just see their circumstances better than they were, and regardless of who made it happen, the data all point upward. They don't analyze whether the administration orchestrated it or if a rising tide raised all boats. Voters aren't that sophisticated. That's why candidates talk in broad platitudes, not numbers. This is elementary stuff.

The Democrats must attack Trump's lack of integrity to win. That's all they've got. If they can't exploit that vulnerability--and it's a big one--then they're clowns.
bearister
...but know POTUS with a good economy has ever had this level of moral decay...and that may trump tRump.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

If you think the Democrats are going to win by using the economy as an issue you are dreaming. All the data show that people are better off today than they were in 2016, and that's what counts. It doesn't matter if it was because of Trump or Obama. Incumbents don't get bounced on the economy when all the indicators are up, regardless of whether they had anything to do with it. You'll admit that much won't you? Voters just see their circumstances better than they were, and regardless of who made it happen, the data all point upward. They don't analyze whether the administration orchestrated it or if a rising tide raised all boats. Voters aren't that sophisticated. That's why candidates talk in broad platitudes, not numbers. This is elementary stuff.

The Democrats must attack Trump's lack of integrity to win. That's all they've got. If they can't exploit that vulnerability--and it's a big one--then they're clowns.

I would agree that the economy is generally a strength for Trump if things stay as they are now (that's a big if) and that most voters won't draw a big distinction.

That is not the argument Unit2 has been making, though. He's talking about actual economic cause and effect, not voter behavior.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I would agree that the economy is generally a strength for Trump if things stay as they are now (that's a big if) and that most voters won't draw a big distinction.

That is not the argument Unit2 has been making, though. He's talking about actual economic cause and effect, not voter behavior.

This thread was started to point out that Trump was going to use disinformation to win. After hamfisted attempts to pretend that Trump actually helped people, it's come full circle and now LMK5 has acknowledged that all that matters is that people feel like their economic position has improved. Which is the whole point of the disinformation campaign.

It's pretty clear that no matter what the world looks like, Trump will use every propaganda outlet he has available (Fox News, false campaign ads on FB, confessional Medal of Honor winner Rush Limbaugh - unless he's dead by then), Sinclair, Falan Gong, etc. to convince people that this is the best economy ever and that he's solely responsible. He will convince them that he didn't put his own casinos out of business by being dumb enough to build his own competition, that he didn't defraud through his charity, that he didn't send Rudy to Ukraine (except when he admits that he did), etc.

It's 1984 except the GOP was smart enough to realize they only needed to con 40% of the country. Everyone else is eyes wide open and either doesn't care or is a Democrat at this point.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.