Comments from the front lines of the ICU

1,533 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yogi04
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friend that works at the Covid unit of the ICU of a large state academic health center (so you can kid of guess fro someone in LA where that is) in an e mail sent out to all friends. His wife who is a nurse, is not working and is at home with their kids - he has not left the hospital in the last 7 days:

1) What's impossibly hard is that patients are presenting in very atypical ways, yesterday someone who was admitted for 14 days with no suspected covid tested positive then subsequently coded and died.

2) Our center is starting to see covid cases rise at an exponential rate. We know anecdotally that ICUs across the country are seeing the same, but we don't know this on a state or country level due to insufficient data sources and collaboration. We also don't have clear understanding of who will get critically ill; based on what we are seeing it's not just those with comorbidities or those who are old and frail.

3) It has been difficult keeping up with the staggering amount of information that is coming our way. Our email boxes are filled with 50+ covid updates every day not to mention published literature.

3)What I can tell you is that public health and infection control experts are allowing covid positive healthcare providers to work in the healthcare system with appropriate monitoring and PPE. That tells me that in the coming weeks as we learn more and let this crisis settle down we will likely be able to safely relax some social distancing. The challenge we will have is that American's don't follow rules well (as compared to let's say Japenese) and it's going to be an ongoing challenge to make policies to protect everyone, while giving enough leeway to those who can effectively self monitor and wash their hands singing happy birthday twice every single time. Hopefully all of our efforts towards infection control are not in vain.

Yogi17
wifeisafurd
Professor David Romer said:

Because idiot politicians is where internet professors get their information on medical issues.
LMK5

Forgive us if we're not comforted by that crew.
Cal88
I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say, especially wrt their economic package, but not going to invest 2 hours into that. It would be good to have a summary,
Yogi17
LMK5 said:

I know. Much more comforting to get your information from Donald Trump.
Yogi17
wifeisafurd said:

Because idiot politicians is where internet professors get their information on medical issues.
Are all politicians idiots WIAF?
LMK5

LMK5 said:

It is for me. Not sure why you'd look for inspiration from people who hate America but whatever blows your pant-leg up.
Yogi17
LMK5 said:

LMK5 said:

It is for me.
Yes, but I don't trouble myself with worrying about what the morons are doing. My hope is that you follow every last piece of medical advice he gives you.
LMK5

LMK5 said:

LMK5 said:

It is for me.
Yes, but I don't trouble myself with worrying about what the morons are doing. My hope is that you follow every last piece of medical advice he gives you.
Out of all the possible people to listen to, you are drawn to (squad -1)? Nancy won't be happy.
Yogi17
LMK5 said:

LMK5 said:

LMK5 said:

It is for me.
Out of all the possible people to listen to, you are drawn to (squad -1)? Nancy won't be happy.
Nancy's happiness has never been of interest to me. Nor Hillary's.
wifeisafurd

wifeisafurd said:

when it comes to relying on then for medical information they are when compared to medical professionals non the front line.
Yogi04
wifeisafurd said:

wifeisafurd said:

when it comes to relying on then for medical information they are when compared to medical professionals non the front line.
Well given that you haven't watched the video and I haven't told you what they talked about, you really have no idea what they said.

But I'm glad to hear that you think that Joe Biden, Gavin Newsom, Donald Trump, and all Republicans are idiots on medical information.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.