clickbait lead: "what antifa is..

1,915 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?

.. according to favorite novelist's bloviating..
https://whatever.scalzi.com/2020/06/01/five-things-june-1-2020
Quote:

Trump wants to label "antifa" as a terrorist group. Well, except for the issue that antifa isn't an actual group, it's a descriptor and shorthand for "anti-fascist." And while it would be, shall we say, bold for Trump to publicly say that being anti-fascist is terroristic, I think it's more to the point to say that Trump and his administration are trying to use "antifa" as a general umbrella for "any left-wing group of people we don't like for any reason." Which is also bold, and stupid, and bound to make more headaches for this dim-witted administration than anything else.

As I noted on Twitter, I am personally and politically adamantly anti-fascist, and I think that not only is that a non-controversial thing to say, it should bluntly be a foundational part of any American's political philosophy. Someone noted that no one says that they're fascist; they call themselves "patriots" or "real Americans" or whatever. Which is true enough, but as in all things, the thing one keeps one eye on is not what people say but what they do. It's not that hard to see who is leaning into their fascist tendencies these days, both in government and out of it.
double barreled bonus..

1) nyt article, likely paywalled
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/us/what-antifa-trump.html

2) cnbc item from by a midwestern state governator.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/trump-making-george-floyd-turmoil-worse-governors-say.html
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
BearForce2
ANTIFA sympathizers. NYT describe them like this:

Quote:

Rather, antifa is more of a movement of activists whose followers share a philosophy and tactics.

These "activists" are also motivated by lofty goals to argue their ideas.

Quote:

Supporters generally seek to stop what they see as fascist, racist and far-right groups from having a platform to promote their views, arguing that public demonstration of those ideas leads to the targeting of marginalized people, including racial minorities, women and members of the L.G.B.T.Q. community.

How nice and a benign picture to boot. They look so cute with their grown up Halloween costumes.

And that's why NYT is fake news.
BearForce2
Meanwhile, National Security Adviser and his take on the riots and ANTIFA.

Notice how George is trying to deflect by wanting to bring in far right wing extremism to the discussion. This weekend had nothing to do with them, otherwise, ABC and everyone else would gladly show the footage. This wasn't Berkeley 2017 when right and left wing nut jobs clashed.

smh
mostly unrelated, but good for a citizen to remember..

Anarchistbear
This Aunty Fa woman is amazing. In a week she is able to organize mass protests in dozens of cities all over America without any organization, money or media. Meanwhile in three years of Trump and the fake resistance there have been almost no mass demonstrations.

She deserves a seat at the table- maybe Biden could make her VP; or Trump could make her his point person to African Americans
bearister
smh said:

mostly unrelated, but good for a citizen to remember..

This is a public service announcement
With guitar
Know your rights
All three of them
Number one
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime
Unless it was done
By a policeman
Or an aristocrat
Oh, know your rights
And number two
You have the right to food money
Providing of course
You don't mind a little
Investigation, humiliation
And if you cross your fingers
Rehabilitation
Know your rights
These are your rights
Hey, say, Wang
Oh, know these rights
Number three
You have the right to free speech
As long as
You're not dumb enough to actually try it
Know your rights
These are your rights
Oh, know your rights
These are your rights
All three of 'em
Ha!
It has been suggested in some quarters
That this is not enough
Well
Get off the streets
Run
Get off the streets
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Joe Strummer / Mick Jones / Paul Simonon / Topper Headon
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
chazzed
A white nationalist group posing as antifa:
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/twitter-takes-down-washington-protest-disinformation-bot-behavior-n1221456
smh
one of several versions on YT. bears might wanna keep a copy of bearister's hard copy handy j.i.c. of, you know, hearing issues?

BearForce2
chazzed said:

A white nationalist group posing as antifa:
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/twitter-takes-down-washington-protest-disinformation-bot-behavior-n1221456

ANTIFA posing as ANTIFA.

smh

next day followup from the same blogger (site logo above)..
https://whatever.scalzi.com/2020/06/02/five-things-june-2-2020

[url=https://whatever.scalzi.com/2020/06/02/five-things-june-2-2020][/url]
Quote:

Trump gassing peaceful protestors to walk to a photo op I think we're all used to the president being appallingly tone deaf, but this one seems destined for the top ten collection (I'm hesitant to rank it any higher at the moment simply because there are at least eight months left in his presidency, and he's going to be more desperate as he goes along). The fact that the tear-gassing begun during his "Oh boy I sure wanna do me some martial law" speech, and then the president walked over to the church and held up a Bible like a cudgel, surely did give the event symbolism. Just not the symbolism he was aiming for, and definitely not the symbolism history will provide it.

The topper, of course, is that the Church was neither told he was coming nor wanted him to be there. As the Bishop Mariann E. Budde noted:
Quote:

"He did not pray. He did not mention George Floyd, he did not mention the agony of people who have been subjected to this kind of horrific expression of racism and white supremacy for hundreds of years. We need a president who can unify and heal. He has done the opposite of that, and we are left to pick up the pieces."
Mind you, gassing protestors and wielding the Word of God like a club makes the president's base of racists and Really Bad Christians happy, and he wants them happy with him because no one else is, or will be. Trump is not the anti-Christ, but I tell you what, if a Democratic president did exactly the same things Trump is doing now, the same Very Bad Christians who are oozing with joy over Trump would be tossing the term around with impunity. But that hypothetical president wouldn't be the anti-Christ, either. Just a very very very very very bad president.

.. ..
Crazy Rich Asians: I eventually maxed out on reality last night and decided to indulge in some escapism, which involved..

you're welcome.

BearForce2
okaydo
Obviously its fake news because it's the FBI.

BearForce2
okaydo said:

Obviously its fake news because it's the FBI.

Antifa stayed home to watch American Housewife.

Anarchistbear

Round up the usual suspects.

"The FBI's Washington Field Office "has no intelligence indicating Antifa involvement/presence" in the violence that occurred on May 31 during the D.C.-area protests over the murder of George Floyd, according to an internal FBI situation report obtained exclusively by The Nation.

That same day, President Donald Trump announced on Twitter that he would designate "Antifa" a terrorist organization, even though the government has no existing authority to declare a domestic group a terrorist organization, and antifa is not an organized group.

"The FBI report, however, states that "based on CHS [Confidential Human Source] canvassing, open source/social media partner engagement, and liaison, FBI WFO has no intelligence indicating Antifa involvement/presence." The statement followed a list of violent acts like throwing bricks at police and the discovery of a backpack containing explosive materials, which were flagged by the FBI under a "Key Updates" section of the report. The FBI has been issuing such reports daily since the weekend, according to a Bureau source, who added that none of these documents contained any evidence of Antifa violence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenation.com/article/activism/antifa-trump-fbi/tnamp/
SRBear
So, since this looks like one incident report, it appears the protesters are responsible themselves for their reprehensible actions.
smh

https://whatever.scalzi.com/2020/06/04/five-things-june-4-2020
^^ third days' over-share of the week source^^

btw, scalzi's blog also has a comment section, left open for a couple day's reader Thinky Bits / feedback.

James Mattis stabs Trump in the eye: And courageously says what everyone already knows, which is that Trump is awful and divisive and wants to use the military on American civilians so he can feel big and tough. And yes, I'm giving Mattis a bit of stick here -- his insight here is not, shall we say, a new or surprising one -- but it does matter that Trump's former Secretary of Defense is saying it and that in doing so, he's giving cover for other military folks to come forward and say the same thing (usually when retired). And it has at least put up a roadblock for Trump siccing the military on civilians without pushback, so that's something. And of course Trump's petulant response on Twitter takes him look even smaller, if possible. On that score: Mission accomplished, General Mattis.

New York Times writers revolt over Tom Cotton's op-ed: You know, the one where he, like the good soldier he is, supported Trump's position on unleashing the military on civilians to make President Trump feel big and strong. I would say that Cotton, a graduate of Harvard Law and a former US Army captain with a Bronze Star, should know better, but if the (heh) cogent example of Ted Cruz shows us anything, being educated and knowledgable takes a back seat when lickspittlery, and early positioning for a presidential run, is involved. At the very least Mattis' comments stuffed Cotton's op-ed into the trash where it belongs.

I'm not personally as outraged as others are about the Times publishing the Cotton piece because I think one of the purposes of the op-ed pages are to let people make fools of themselves in public so you can't say later on that you didn't know who they showed themselves to be. However, I also acknowledge I am a straight white dude who isn't out protesting -- or reporting on the protests -- in an era where the police have declared open season on both protestors and journalists. I'm perfectly happy to cede that I'm probably not the one to be listening to on this particular matter. There's the theory of how op-ed pages work, and there's a practical matter of what effect an op-ed will have in the real world. The NYT journalists are rather reasonably concerned about the latter.

It's hot and humid and our air conditioning is on the fritz: Because of course it is, why wouldn't it be. The diagnostic guy was here and apparently our outside unit is leaking coolant and they won't be able to fix it until a week from today, and between now and then we have a bunch of days in the mid/high 80s and low 90s, with humidity to go along with it. This is not great, and also a reminder that the vast majority of humanity had to live without air conditioning and I honestly don't know how they managed. I wouldn't do it. Heat sucks. Heat with humidity sucks the will to live.

2020 Time Travel: The first one, which came out a little over a month ago, has comedian Julie Nolke visiting her January self from April. The second one (which came out earlier today) has her April self visited by her June self. Both are worth your time, but if you have to pick just one to watch, watch the second. You'll have enough context to go on.

smh

last of week 1 scalzi blog "five things" pitched..

Here's today's five for you:

It's a police riot: Or so Jamelle Bouie says in the New York Times, and there's certainly been enough evidence in the last week to show that the police working the protests aren't exactly treating the folks protesting the death of George Floyd with the same tender care and respect as they treat, say, a bunch of white dudes with semi-automatics screaming about their desire for a haircut. Greg Doucette has been collecting up video of the police in various places not exactly keeping order; currently he's above 300, which makes it difficult for even the most persistent "#NotAllPolice" to keep finding excuses for them all. Or as Kumail Nanjiani notes:

I've written before about how and why it is I don't fear the police, and indeed usually feel they are serving me well. But I also know that lack of fear, and positive experience with them, is strongly rooted in my whiteness, and that my lived experience isn't the lived experience of so many of the people I know and care about. As Kumail notes, what's happening now is lot of other people who like me have gotten the benefit of being on the white side of policing, are getting their faces rubbed into fact that policing is systematically racist and also concerned with its own perpetuation. All these videos, at least, make it much harder for police to argue against the first of those.

(Plus now the police have pissed off journalists by going after them, too. Yeah, that's going to be remembered by the press for a long time, folks.)

Is Trump losing the evangelicals? Lol, I'll tell you what, I'll believe that when we get the exit polling in November and it shows either some significantly larger percentage of evangelicals voting Democratic (which I find deeply unlikely), or just staying home because they can't bear to vote for Trump a second time (somewhat more likely, but still deeply unlikely). I suspect evangelical disapproval of Trump is like Susan Collins' disapproval, i.e., a scrunching of the face to express concern, and then voting exactly the way Trump wants her to. Evangelicals have hitched their wagon to Trump; I suspect he's going to run them right off a cliff. They will deserve it if he does.

Cate Blanchett vs. a Chainsaw: The result may surprise you! (Spoiler: It won't. She's fine. If she had done herself a serious harm, you wouldn't be hearing it from me first, now, would you.) Personally Ms. Blanchett's misadventure just reconfirms my general choice to avoid all serious machinery. I know my dexterity stats, and I want to keep all my limbs if at all possible (and also my head).

Space Force and trademarks: Okay, this is interesting to me Netflix has beaten the United States government to trademarking the term "space force" around the world and the ramifications of that are discussed in the linked article. Like the writer of the article, I don't suspect people are going to confuse the show with the military branch, but if I walk around with a Space Force t-shirt, someone might reasonably wonder if I'm promoting the show or showing enthusiasm for the military. I personally would have thought the government would have dealt with that, but then again, I was also surprised that Paramount hadn't trademarked the term "Redshirt," thus giving me free reign to use it for my book. So, I don't know. Maybe I expect too much out of large organizations as regards their potential intellectual property.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.