Policing and missing the forest for the trees

2,587 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sp4149
LunchTime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was responding to another thread, but thought maybe its own thread would be better: this has been bothering me since a Law Enforcement friend went through the academy, worked until he got off probation, and quit because of the system.

I think that the entire country is missing the forest for the trees in the discussion about policing, because so few people have worked in an environment like it.

The problem isnt choke holds, or when its OK to shoot or beat someone.

The problem is how policing is done from the academy to the interactions between police and other police. The killing of Americans is a symptom, and the symptom is generally all people are talking about.

1. Cockpit Culture: Policing is an extremely hierarchical job. Where are the good cops? Trying not to railroaded by the same system. As an example; Cariol Horne. Look her up. Stopped a fellow officer from beating a person. Fellow officer turns around and beats her. She is charged with interference, fired, and had her pension taken...
- For a more relevant example: One of the 4 cops in Floyd's murder, Officer Lane, had been on his own for 3 days. He just got out on patrol in a new area of the city with new cops around him. Effectively leaving training and starting his real job. He told a two decade veteran to move his knee. He was told, effectively, to STFU. He didnt shut up. He said he was worried about distress (something he learned in training) and was told that the Sr officer had it under control. Despite having no experience he still spoke up twice to a man who had almost two decades on him, plus Military Policing. That is downright courageous. Not enough (clearly, because a man died), but WAY more forward than most people with 3 days on their own when told everything was fine by a superior (and without legal repercussions). He is a good cop who wasnt given the tools to be effective.

For trying to be a good cop, he is charged with aiding and abetting murder. It is a no win situation. The GOOD cops are criminals if they act. Aiding and Abetting if they dont. The culture needs to change, similar to how airline culture has had to. His ONLY options in that scenario would both lead to criminal charges. THAT is where the good cops are.

Here is an article about how this works in another industry that has been working for decades to fix it: Airlines. In organizations where someone has that structured authority over you (and police add in a legal authority as well), sometimes in the moment its better to die than fight it... and that is exactly what happens.

2. Police militarization is NOT the guns and trucks. Its not the cammo and vests. Back when the Marines created Marine Corps Martial Arts, the motto was "One Mind, Any Weapon." Maybe that predates MCMAP, but thats where I learned it. The goal is to teach a mindset. That the person is lethal, not the weapon. What separates the SEALs from the guy who buys the equipment and pretends is the mindset.

And Police have a similar militarized indoctrination. They START in the academy with decades of hard fought and paid in blood lessons on how to get cops home at night. My buddy, mentioned above, was rewarded for being the ONLY guy in his class to identify an ambush when called out for a Car vs Bicyclist injury. A person injured in the street, and because a cop (who knows when, who knows where) didnt go home, we ingrain into cops, with reward and punishment, to watch for a military style ambush. THAT is the militarization of police. Disassociating risk by shifting the risk to civilians.

There is a lot of nonsense about how policing isnt dangerous that always comes with a list of jobs that have higher mortality rates: THIS is why. If the risk is pushed to civilians, cops die less. But that isnt an acceptable outcome. It isnt why we have cops. We have police to take that risk. We compensate them and have benefits for families with that risk in mind. The military can go obliterate a city block to retrieve a body or end a firefight. That is the military mindset that has invaded our departments in the name of getting home safely.

and finally

3. Ordinance violation enforcement: The problem isnt Black people getting killed. It may be the most acute and permanent problem, but it isnt THE problem. If zero black men were killed over the next 5 years, their relationship with cops wouldn't be significantly improved. The problem is that police use ordinance violations to put pressure on citizens. Its why literally NOBODY feels comfortable with a cop pulling up behind them, and black people are disproportionately at risk of being stopped for some minutia.

The most telling part of this, for me, is when cops say how many traffic stops result in arrests for other crimes. Is it a traffic stop or an excuse to stop and frisk? I have had family in Law Enforcement tell me ordinance violations are their "best tool." What the frisk? Its not a tool. Police work is a tool.

Some police departments have ended minor traffic stops to improve relations. Walnut Creek is one I know of. They will make a traffic stop for more serious infractions, but they decided years ago their focus would be on other things. I dont know the empirical results, but they seem to think it is going ok.

Cops using ordinance violation to round people up just subjects certain groups to founded harassment. We can try to put in safeguards like Oaklands attempt to balance police stops against race, but that is ridiculous. If a race needs more tickets, give them more tickets. But leave it at tickets. The additional "investigation" leads to cops getting shot, cops getting into dangerous chases, civilians distrusting cops, etc. You dont use a minor meter violation to search the car, background check the owner, etc.

Anyway, those are my three steps. Maybe I am over simplifying or missing a bigger or smaller picture. But balancing being law and order focused, growing up with horrible law enforcement in Berkeley and Oakland, having plenty of friends and family in law enforcement, AND being libertarian leaning, those are what I notice the most when I see breakdowns in strategy and trust.
kelly09
From a Red State article responding two those two fat Vermont ice cream makers

The murder of George Floyd was the result of inhumane police brutality that is perpetuated by a culture of white supremacy. What happened to George Floyd was not the result of a bad apple; it was the predictable consequence of a racist and prejudiced system and culture that has treated Black bodies as the enemy from the beginning. What happened to George Floyd in Minneapolis is the fruit borne of toxic seeds planted on the shores of our country.
This is the language we normally see attached to the messaging of ''Systemic racism''. The problem, however, is one of location. While it sounds great to attribute Floyd's death to the racism built into the culture, what few are willing to do is analyze that culture. So why don't we look into the system where this crime took place?
To start, you have as the city Mayor, Jacob Frey, an avowed leftist who follows a string of Democratic liberal leaders. The last time a Republican was elected to run the city was 1957. The police chief of Minneapolis is Medaria Arradondo, a black police official. The federal representative for the city, in Washington, is the famed female POC Ilhan Omar, and the top cop for the state is another POC and former head of the DNC, Attorney General Keith Ellison. Are these the leaders perpetuating the culture of white supremacy?
Just to add to the list, you have Minnesota headed by Democrat Tim Walz, the state is served by two Democrat senators, including Amy Klobuchar who spent years as an acting state attorney in a few offices, and even the sister city of Saint Paul has as its Mayor, Melvin Carter, another POC leader. These would be the people operating the ''racist and prejudicial system and culture''. Looking over these names, note how few have incurred the wrath and blame over the past week, while President Trump has been pointed at as responsible.
Toxic seeds planted on the shores of our country in Jamestown in 1619, when the first enslaved men and women arrived on this continent. Floyd is the latest in a long list of names that stretches back to that time and that shore. Some of those names we know Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Oscar Grant, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Emmett Till, Martin Luther King, Jr. most we don't.
I need to list other names they apparently do not know.
Justine Ruszczyk Damond. The 40-year-old white woman was killed by black police officer Mohammed Noor, who was convicted of murder last year for her shooting.
Emmanuel Aranda. He is the 24-year-old black man who grabbed a 5-year-old white boy and threw him off of a third-story railing at the Mall of America. After long treatment, the boy recovered from the forty-foot drop.
Adding to this was the number of victims who, last summer, were targeted by groups of Somali residents. These are not just cherry-picked examples of inter-race violence to ''balance out'' the ledger. All of these examples are from Minneapolis. If this racism is built-in, if the system is supposedly inspiring tragedies like the death of George Floyd, how is it that black on white violence is just as pervasive, if not more so?
The officers who murdered George Floyd, who stole him from those who loved him, must be brought to justice. At the same time, we must embark on the more complicated work of delivering justice for all the victims of state sponsored violence and racism.
Justice is, in fact, taking place. Officer Chauvin has already been arrested and charged with murder. US Attorney General Barr is overseeing the investigation, which is moving faster than anyone could expect. This is what makes the calls in the streets for 'justice' perplexing. It is, in fact, happening. Where the uncomfortable aspect arrives is in this concept of alleged ''state-sponsored violence and racism''.
kelly09
kelly09
https://allnewspipeline.com/US_Intelligence_Agencies_Need_Purging.php?utm_source=whatfinger
LMK5
kelly09 said:

Greats posts kelly. Fortunately some, at least on this board, weren't played and maybe others can learn from it. On the upside, a few who went along are now in the "fool me once shame on you ... fool me twice shame on me" camp.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
calbear93
LunchTime said:

I was responding to another thread, but thought maybe its own thread would be better: this has been bothering me since a Law Enforcement friend went through the academy, worked until he got off probation, and quit because of the system.

I think that the entire country is missing the forest for the trees in the discussion about policing, because so few people have worked in an environment like it.

The problem is how policing is done from the academy to the interactions between police and other police. The killing of Americans is a symptom, and the symptom is generally all people are talking about.

1. Cockpit Culture: Policing is an extremely hierarchical job. Where are the good cops? Trying not to railroaded by the same system. As an example; Cariol Horne. Look her up. Stopped a fellow officer from beating a person. Fellow officer turns around and beats her. She is charged with interference, fired, and had her pension taken...
- For a more relevant example: One of the 4 cops in Floyd's murder, Officer Lane, had been on his own for 3 days. He just got out on patrol in a new area of the city with new cops around him. Effectively leaving training and starting his real job. He told a two decade veteran to move his knee. He was told, effectively, to STFU. He didnt shut up. He said he was worried about distress (something he learned in training) and was told that the Sr officer had it under control. Despite having no experience he still spoke up twice to a man who had almost two decades on him, plus Military Policing. That is downright courageous. Not enough (clearly, because a man died), but WAY more forward than most people with 3 days on their own when told everything was fine by a superior (and without legal repercussions). He is a good cop who wasnt given the tools to be effective.

For trying to be a good cop, he is charged with aiding and abetting murder. It is a no win situation. The GOOD cops are criminals if they act. Aiding and Abetting if they dont. The culture needs to change, similar to how airline culture has had to. His ONLY options in that scenario would both lead to criminal charges. THAT is where the good cops are.

Here is an article about how this works in another industry that has been working for decades to fix it: Airlines. In organizations where someone has that structured authority over you (and police add in a legal authority as well), sometimes in the moment its better to die than fight it... and that is exactly what happens.

2. Police militarization is NOT the guns and trucks. Its not the cammo and vests. Back when the Marines created Marine Corps Martial Arts, the motto was "One Mind, Any Weapon." Maybe that predates MCMAP, but thats where I learned it. The goal is to teach a mindset. That the person is lethal, not the weapon. What separates the SEALs from the guy who buys the equipment and pretends is the mindset.

And Police have a similar militarized indoctrination. They START in the academy with decades of hard fought and paid in blood lessons on how to get cops home at night. My buddy, mentioned above, was rewarded for being the ONLY guy in his class to identify an ambush when called out for a Car vs Bicyclist injury. A person injured in the street, and because a cop (who knows when, who knows where) didnt go home, we ingrain into cops, with reward and punishment, to watch for a military style ambush. THAT is the militarization of police. Disassociating risk by shifting the risk to civilians.

There is a lot of nonsense about how policing isnt dangerous that always comes with a list of jobs that have higher mortality rates: THIS is why. If the risk is pushed to civilians, cops die less. But that isnt an acceptable outcome. It isnt why we have cops. We have police to take that risk. We compensate them and have benefits for families with that risk in mind. The military can go obliterate a city block to retrieve a body or end a firefight. That is the military mindset that has invaded our departments in the name of getting home safely.

and finally

3. Ordinance violation enforcement: The problem isnt Black people getting killed. It may be the most acute and permanent problem, but it isnt THE problem. If zero black men were killed over the next 5 years, their relationship with cops wouldn't be significantly improved. The problem is that police use ordinance violations to put pressure on citizens. Its why literally NOBODY feels comfortable with a cop pulling up behind them, and black people are disproportionately at risk of being stopped for some minutia.

The most telling part of this, for me, is when cops say how many traffic stops result in arrests for other crimes. Is it a traffic stop or an excuse to stop and frisk? I have had family in Law Enforcement tell me ordinance violations are their "best tool." What the frisk? Its not a tool. Police work is a tool.

Some police departments have ended minor traffic stops to improve relations. Walnut Creek is one I know of. They will make a traffic stop for more serious infractions, but they decided years ago their focus would be on other things. I dont know the empirical results, but they seem to think it is going ok.

Cops using ordinance violation to round people up just subjects certain groups to founded harassment. We can try to put in safeguards like Oaklands attempt to balance police stops against race, but that is ridiculous. If a race needs more tickets, give them more tickets. But leave it at tickets. The additional "investigation" leads to cops getting shot, cops getting into dangerous chases, civilians distrusting cops, etc. You dont use a minor meter violation to search the car, background check the owner, etc.

Anyway, those are my three steps. Maybe I am over simplifying or missing a bigger or smaller picture. But balancing being law and order focused, growing up with horrible law enforcement in Berkeley and Oakland, having plenty of friends and family in law enforcement, AND being libertarian leaning, those are what I notice the most when I see breakdowns in strategy and trust.

This is a helpful post. Unlike many takes here, I actually learned from reading your post.
LunchTime
calbear93 said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

This is a helpful post. Unlike many takes here, I actually learned from reading your post.
Personally, I think #1 is the most confounding and least well known issue.

That time when two 747s collided and killed over 500 people, a crew member tried to tell the superior officer they werent cleare, and the superior disregarded him. His inability to navigate the the structure of the cockpit killed him and 500+ other people. It wasnt for lack of will. It is social pressure and regulation conspire to cause some off behavior (like even stopping your own death).

"On hearing this, the KLM flight engineer expressed his concern about the Pan Am not being clear of the runway by asking the pilots in his own cockpit, "Is he not clear, that Pan American?" Veldhuyzen van Zanten emphatically replied "Oh, yes" and continued with the takeoff"

583 people died due, in part, to the same odd dynamic of not allowing questions.
blungld
LunchTime said:

and finally

Some good points in there, but one of the biggest factors you didn't address and that everyone stays away from like hot potato is the real truth beneath it all that we have celebrated and cultivated a violent society.

We have not as a society decided to embrace empathy and collectivism and pacifism as a guiding principle. We have tied capitalism to independence, rugged individualism, survival of the fittest, pLssing contests, and might makes right. Competition and winners and losers in every facet of your life all day long.

Until we think that a greater good and healthy economy is a healthy middle class and not flashy billionaires (who need to suppress the lower classes and limit their power and exploit a culture of violence). Until we don't see egregious wealth as an anathema and an anti-social pathology of greed and avarice, then we will continue to elect and follow displays and (HERE'S THE BIG ONE) that continue to support a sick misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment that is the embodiment of capitalism I described above in the cold form of a piece of killing metal, then we we will see this continue.

When Joe Redneck feels that living in America is 24/7 competition against everyone and his manhood is at stake at all times and he can't win on financial, economic, or even hot girlfriend terms, he grabs a gun as a vicarious victory and an assertion of status. For that minute with the ability to kill in his hand he is virile, strong, equal to any man.

So we have psychologically messed up people (and criminals) wielding weaponry in the populace and attract the same messed up people to the police who are ironically afraid (after they support NRA) that so many people have guns and that this arrest is dangerous or that person could be packing. The level of paranoia, ego, desperation, and weapons everywhere create this climate.The boogeymen criminals are out there and if the good people give up their guns the criminals will just start shooting, or the evil government (again ironic that the gun nuts have no problem with an actual authoritarian threat) will come get us. There are ways to address income inequality and disarm the violence but Republicans have faithfully blocked these attempts for decades. They are all in on the violence and income inequality and won't discuss it let alone try to fix it.

But no one wants to put both guns and our materialism on trial, or make a cultural shift. Just go further. Dig deeper into macho gun land and Monopoly board billionaires. It all works together.
LMK5
blungld said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

Some good points in there, but one of the biggest factors you didn't address and that everyone stays away from like hot potato is the real truth beneath it all that we have celebrated and cultivated a violent society.

We have not as a society decided to embrace empathy and collectivism and pacifism as a guiding principle. We have tied capitalism to independence, rugged individualism, survival of the fittest, pLssing contests, and might makes right. Competition and winners and losers in every facet of your life all day long.

Until we think that a greater good and healthy economy is a healthy middle class and not flashy billionaires (who need to suppress the lower classes and limit their power and exploit a culture of violence). Until we don't see egregious wealth as an anathema and an anti-social pathology of greed and avarice, then we will continue to elect and follow displays and (HERE'S THE BIG ONE) that continue to support a sick misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment that is the embodiment of capitalism I described above in the cold form of a piece of killing metal, then we we will see this continue.

When Joe Redneck feels that living in America is 24/7 competition against everyone and his manhood is at stake at all times and he can't win on financial, economic, or even hot girlfriend terms, he grabs a gun as a vicarious victory and an assertion of status. For that minute with the ability to kill in his hand he is virile, strong, equal to any man.

So we have psychologically messed up people (and criminals) wielding weaponry in the populace and attract the same messed up people to the police who are ironically afraid (after they support NRA) that so many people have guns and that this arrest is dangerous or that person could be packing. The level of paranoia, ego, desperation, and weapons everywhere create this climate.The boogeymen criminals are out there and if the good people give up their guns the criminals will just start shooting, or the evil government (again ironic that the gun nuts have no problem with an actual authoritarian threat) will come get us. There are ways to address income inequality and disarm the violence but Republicans have faithfully blocked these attempts for decades. They are all in on the violence and income inequality and won't discuss it let alone try to fix it.

But no one wants to put both guns and our materialism on trial, or make a cultural shift. Just go further. Dig deeper into macho gun land and Monopoly board billionaires. It all works together.
This is a good post. The bolded paragraph is especially spot on. I would add something else: I think America's glorification of smoking, drugs, and alcohol have been at least as damaging as our love of guns.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
kelly09
LMK5 said:

blungld said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

This is a good post. The bolded paragraph is especially spot on. I would add something else: I think America's glorification of smoking, drugs, and alcohol have been at least as damaging as our love of guns.
Pllus 1
calbear93
blungld said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

I think we agree that a lot of what we view as societal issues are economic issues. Even the systematic racism is mostly pronounced in economic terms. While we may disagree on how to get a stronger middle class or the cause of the income disparity (don't believe the income disparity comes from tax policies but from too much liquidity form the Feds, growth of high value tech companies and defined contribution plans), we all agree that a strong middle class is necessary for the health of our country. However, with the way the tech and automation is going, unless we start focusing on shifting the skill set, we will have an even weaker middle class and richer tech and VC employees. Not sure what the answer is short of slowing technological progress.
calbear93
LunchTime said:

calbear93 said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

Personally, I think #1 is the most confounding and least well known issue.

That time when two 747s collided and killed over 500 people, a crew member tried to tell the superior officer they werent cleare, and the superior disregarded him. His inability to navigate the the structure of the cockpit killed him and 500+ other people. It wasnt for lack of will. It is social pressure and regulation conspire to cause some off behavior (like even stopping your own death).

"On hearing this, the KLM flight engineer expressed his concern about the Pan Am not being clear of the runway by asking the pilots in his own cockpit, "Is he not clear, that Pan American?" Veldhuyzen van Zanten emphatically replied "Oh, yes" and continued with the takeoff"

583 people died due, in part, to the same odd dynamic of not allowing questions.
Bureaucracy and seniority are performance blockers in almost every organization. There are a lot of factors in play, including people afraid of making a mistake, afraid of changing something that seems to be working, culture, or unions and other evaluation factors beyond performance and merit.
okaydo
kelly09 said:

To start, you have as the city Mayor, Jacob Frey, an avowed leftist who follows a string of Democratic liberal leaders. The last time a Republican was elected to run the city was 1957. The police chief of Minneapolis is Medaria Arradondo, a black police official. The federal representative for the city, in Washington, is the famed female POC Ilhan Omar, and the top cop for the state is another POC and former head of the DNC, Attorney General Keith Ellison. Are these the leaders perpetuating the culture of white supremacy?
Just to add to the list, you have Minnesota headed by Democrat Tim Walz, the state is served by two Democrat senators, including Amy Klobuchar who spent years as an acting state attorney in a few offices, and even the sister city of Saint Paul has as its Mayor, Melvin Carter, another POC leader. These would be the people operating the ''racist and prejudicial system and culture''. Looking over these names, note how few have incurred the wrath and blame over the past week, while President Trump has been pointed at as responsible.

I'll repost what I posted in the other thread about why reform-minded politicians and police chiefs run into a brick wall:

The problem is that police unions are powerful. They're opposed to any kind of reform, even screening.

Cops could easily ruin a mayor's life by making him look bad or threatening his personal safety.

That's why Bill de Blasio, who's passionately hated by the NYPD, has been sticking up for them the past few days. He even initially defended the NYPD's right to run over protesters.

Case in point: The NYPD union boss posted de Blasio's daughter's address on Twitter 2 days ago.

When de Blasio's Democratic New York City Mayor successor David Dinkins proposed police reforms in 1992, including an independent panel looking into police abuse, off-duty NYPD officers rioted -- led by Rudy Giuliani -- and on-duty NYPD officers didn't really try to stop them.

Yes, police riot.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/17/nyregion/officers-rally-and-dinkins-is-their-target.html

The same thing happened in Minneapolis. A reform-minded police chief came in and was met with resistance.

But he has to contend with a powerful Minneapolis police union boss who has been called racist.

Remember cops are powerful: Remember what happened in San Francisco when public defender Jeff Adachi died.

Also remember: It's hard to fire cops. They could do absolutely sh*tty things. It took 5 years to fire the NYPD who killed Eric Garner. And if they lose their jobs or quit under controversy, they'll easily find a job at another police department.

Like this guy:

BearForce2
LMK5 said:

blungld said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

Good post? Capitalism, Income inequality, celebration of violence, individualism, competition, gun violence, rednecks with hot girl friend envy, dysfunctional police, Republicans, billionaires. It all coming together, this makes perfect sense now.
Anarchistbear
It's a failure of liberalism. The urban multi-racial elites who govern these cities have created playgrounds for the affluent and development while marginalizing the urban poor and more recently the middle class who are exiled to burbs. To provide stability and peace of mind to their benefactors they give unfettered power and budgets to their police while pocketing money from developers for their campaigns and turning what were once diversified (in the correct sense where classes and cultures lived side by side) into mono cultures.

Imagine you are a poor likely unemployed youth this week who when confronting power in your supposedly "urban, multiracial, dynamic" city instead comes to grip with what looks like an occupying army in Fallujia complete with every battle gear known to man. How do they garner such riches in such desperate times! Consider also that rather than defuse a tinderbox, many of these idiots escalate it by firing rubber bullets or tear gas at their own citizens, again like an occupying army. Consider also that the elected liberal mayors, council people and prosecutors always preaching tolerance and justice do nothing to stop or control or condemn this and instead let the police dictate rules of engagement while funding them without restraint for decades . Consider also that many young urban and suburban whites are also seeing for the first time how power in these places is wielded, who really has power and who are the victims of this power. Consider this and know that thousands of have been radicalized this week and it's not to Joe Biden or Donald Trump or their inept leaders they will look to for answers.
GoOskie
kelly09 said:

US Attorney General Barr is overseeing the investigation,
Oh, boy. This isn't good.
BearForce2
GoOskie said:

kelly09 said:

US Attorney General Barr is overseeing the investigation,
Oh, boy. This isn't good.

Uh huh, if we only had a black Attorney General things would be well.

heartofthebear
LunchTime said:

and finally

Thank you for not only posting an excellent piece but for stimulating some excellent follow up comments. I'll add a few:
  • See the highlighted portions above for specifics.
I guess all I really have is a question:
Do you think part of the problem is the way folks are promoted to start with?
Hierarchy becomes 10 times worse when it is corrupted by bad leadership. The culture of violence we have in this country could be a symptom of that poor leadership.
MLK once said that nonviolence is not for any practical purpose. It is a leadership doctrine. What would the last 50 years have been like had he lived and his ideas been promoted? Of course he got gunned down by the military as a "national security threat". That has been admitted to in court.
LunchTime
blungld said:

LunchTime said:

and finally

That is part of #2 AND #3, in my estimation.

Really #3 tends to lead to the use of #2, but sometimes #2 exists on its own. #2 also includes things like no knock warrants, etc. The Mindset of an occupying military, not a civil police force.
Unit2Sucks
I wasn't aware that there was an officer who tried to stop the murder. Based on LT's quite informative original post, it certainly seems like officer Lane should be treated differently. And it would also make me think that this supports to upgrade in charge to Chauvin.

A+ thread would read again. Perhaps bonus points for the mixture of thoughtful replies with unhinged and non-responsive replies.
Yogi3
LunchTime said:

and finally

Wanted to say two things.

First, these thought were so good that I shared them in a different forum. Thank you for some intelligent discourse on topic.

Secondly, because the best kind of Nazi is a grammar Nazi.
https://www.thoughtco.com/contractions-commonly-used-informal-english-1692651
smh
Lucas Lee said:

Secondly, because the best kind of Nazi is a grammar Nazi.
https://www.thoughtco.com/contractions-commonly-used-informal-english-1692651
lucas - grammar is not a smh family tradition. like, last year of high school mom flunked 3 english classes in the same term, at least 2 of 'em do-overs. but thats not important right now. rather.. seems like there's no such thing as a good nazi, grammerly or not. th th thats all folks.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
sp4149
When this is all said and done, which will be after an election and possibly a coup remove the current Attorney General; we will likely find that some of those police tear gassing protesters were never really police.

In defiance of Congress, DOD contractors have been required to provide security forces when requested by the Contracting Officer. This had been the practice overseas, but after 9/11 this provision was added to domestic DOD contracts. Congress routinely prohibits outsourcing security forces in the annual appropriations bill, but the contracts are enacted and renewed during times of continuing resolutions; after the previous funding bill (and the prohibitions) had expired. Eric Prince and other security contractors (mercenary armies) have made billions filling this contractual need.

Much has been made about the Attorney General ordering the clearing of the street to allow Trump to have a photo op at St. John's across from the White House. Media coverage reported that the 'officers' clearing the street did not have badges or name tags to identify them or their police agency. Contract mercenaries cannot legally wear law enforcement badges and do not have to wear name tag IDs and aren't an 'official' police agency. These are not mall cops; the Bush Administration used Blackwater mercenaries armed with machine guns to control the victims of Hurricane Katrina seeking Federal aid. If Barr's mercenary army kills someone, rest assured his DOJ will not prosecute.

The death of Federal Security Guard David Underwood in Oakland was reported by the media as a killing of a police officer.
Security guards do not have police authority or the same training and qualifications requirements. While on duty contract guards must have line of sight supervision by a Federal law enforcement officer. In practice this is hard to achieve.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.