Brazen twitter censorship

7,078 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearlyamazing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Twitter taking Trump's video down addressing the Floyd case and the protests is inexcusable. Using the pathetic pretext of an anonymous copyright claim is a joke. They just don't want his message to reach a mass audience.

It's a very good video and it scares them that it might put him in a good light with regard to race relations.

It's certainly a lot better than the tone deaf tweet he sent about bullets flying when violent protests start.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/6/5/21281787/twitter-trump-george-floyd-campaign-video-copyright
okaydo
The Trump campaign has been notorious for violating copyright.

It's simple: Don't violate other people's copyright.

Trump's attitude this entire time is he can do what he wants. Well, sometimes you have to do the extra work when you can't get what you want.

bearlyamazing
okaydo said:

Trump's attitude this entire time is he can do what he wants. Well, sometimes you have to do the extra work when you can't get what you want.

Tell us exactly what copyright law he violated per the anonymous complaint?

If an anonymous copyright complaint was the standard for taking down every video that gets one on twitter, twitter would collapse.

That's a VERY low bar.
okaydo
bearlyamazing said:

okaydo said:

If an anonymous copyright complaint was the standard for taking down every video that gets one on twitter, twitter would collapse.

That's a VERY low bar.

My guess (and just a guess) is that they didn't get permission to use all those photos/videos in the Trump ad.

You need to get permission and, in some cases, pay for use of those photos. Did they put in the work?

It's different when it's not stock photos.

bearister
okaydo said:

Twitter removes Trump campaign tribute to George Floyd claiming copyright complaint | TheHill

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/501270-twitter-removes-trump-campaign-tribute-to-george-floyd-claiming-copyright

This will be yet be another of tRump's shallow protestations that will just fade into the scenery when his personal attorney, Billy Barr Sinister, tells tRump and his dumb son that they engaged in unlawful sampling, AGAIN.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
honestly bearlyamazing you should educate yourself before making these ridiculous claims. I would suggest you look into the DMCA and what it requires Twitter to do in response to claims from copyright owners.

This is totally separate from Section 230 and unless Twitter complies with valid DMCA takedown notices, it would become liable for copyright violations.

bearlyamazing
Unit2Sucks said:

honestly bearlyamazing you should educate yourself before making these ridiculous claims. I would suggest you look into the DMCA and what it requires Twitter to do in response to claims from copyright owners.

This is totally separate from Section 230 and unless Twitter complies with valid DMCA takedown notices, it would become liable for copyright violations.

An anonymous complaint is no legal threshold. If it were, all it would take to take down tons of video on twitter would be an anonymous complaint.

The dominant majority of video of any of the protests would have to come down.

This is just nonsense.
Unit2Sucks
bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

An anonymous complaint is no legal threshold. If it were, all it would take to take down tons of video on twitter would be an anonymous complaint.

This is just nonsense.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you can't explain to me why this wasn't a valid DMCA takedown request, why would anyone listen to you?

You constantly post fake news and have shown that you have no ability to differentiate fantasy from reality. Weeks ago you posted obviously fake news from citizen free press about death rates in NYC that would I (any many others) immediately identified as fake. This is another example that is as clear as day. You may never admit it because you aren't operating in good faith, but anyone who knows anything about the DMCA is reading your posts and shaking their heads.
bearlyamazing
Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

If you can't explain to me why this wasn't a valid DMCA takedown request, why would anyone listen to you?

You constantly post fake news and have shown that you have no ability to differentiate fantasy from reality. Weeks ago you posted obviously fake news from citizen free press about death rates in NYC that would I (any many others) immediately identified as fake. This is another example that is as clear as day. You may never admit it because you aren't operating in good faith, but anyone who knows anything about the DMCA is reading your posts and shaking their heads.
More typical gaslighting
bearister
"Harvard University's Lumen Database, a third-party research group Twitter uses to study cease and desist letters, reviewed the complaint and found it to be valid under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)." The Hill
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GoOskie
tRump's an idiot anyways. Too bad Twitter can't remove his presidency.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

Is gaslighting the new word making the rounds in right wing media or something?
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

Twitter taking Trump's video down addressing the Floyd case and the protests is inexcusable. Using the pathetic pretext of an anonymous copyright claim is a joke. They just don't want his message to reach a mass audience.

It's a very good video and it scares them that it might put him in a good light with regard to race relations.

It's certainly a lot better than the tone deaf tweet he sent about bullets flying when violent protests start.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/6/5/21281787/twitter-trump-george-floyd-campaign-video-copyright

Warning: This poster has a history of posting material sourced from an organization funded by the Russian government that has been forced by the Trump administration to register as a foreign agent.
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

No, in typical fashion, a few liberal posters who often engage in that practice, have been accusing us of doing so in the past. What is your problem is the term if it's accurate?
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

okaydo said:

That's a VERY low bar.

It was not an anonymous complaint. It wasn't released to the public, but Twitter knows who issued the complaint. That may be a fair criticism but it isn't the same. The copyright holder could not demonstrate their claim without identifying themselves
calbear93
okaydo said:

Why do you think it doesn't fall within the doctrine of fair use?
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

No, in typical fashion, a few liberal posters who often engage in that practice, have been accusing us of doing so in the past. What is your problem is the term if it's accurate?

If you wish to gaslight us with accusations of gaslighting in threads where no one is gaslighting and then gaslight by responding to non-gaslighting by continuing to gaslighting and accusing others of gaslighting in response and then gaslight us about where you are getting the term gaslighting, you can feel free to go on gaslighting.

Something about virtue signaling. Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Gaslight
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

okaydo said:

Why do you think it doesn't fall within the doctrine of fair use?

I can't comment about the specifics of the claim, but fair use does not mean you can just use everybody's stuff. You tubers who make a living are very careful not to violate copyright.

Not claiming the video violated copyright but if it used other people's pictures or video it would likely be subject to the claim. Frankly, I suspect that they rightly think many of their followers will think people just post stuff all over you tube because they don't understand how it works.
Unit2Sucks
OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

okaydo said:

That's a VERY low bar.

It was not an anonymous complaint. It wasn't released to the public, but Twitter knows who issued the complaint. That may be a fair criticism but it isn't the same. The copyright holder could not demonstrate their claim without identifying themselves
I don't think bearlyamazing is informed enough to be able to gaslight about this topic. Rather, he posted a link to a fairly reasonable Recode article and completely misinterpreted the issue because he is both unfamiliar with the DMCA and unwilling to do 5 minutes of google legwork.

Add this to the mountain of evidence that bearlyamazing isn't here to engage in good faith. If he were, he would read up on the DMCA and come back and either acknowledge he is wrong (like he sort of did when he posted the faked graphic from citizen free press although he still managed to shamble his way into saying it wasn't his fault) or he should explain to us why we are wrong about the DMCA. To be clear - he won't be able to do the latter because we're not wrong. He won't do the former because he's a bad faith poster.

Perhaps he learned the term "gaslighting" from me because I've used it numerous times to accurately characterize his statements. I would suggest he google that as well to learn what it means.
bearlyamazing
OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Warning: This poster has a history of posting material sourced from an organization funded by the Russian government that has been forced by the Trump administration to register as a foreign agent.
Warning: This poster has a history of trying to discredit posters with views he doesn't share with spurious accusations. RT wasn't the only poster of the video I posted of Biden's quid pro quo crime in a single post of probably 1,000 or so posts here.

Anyone who's not a dimwitted stooge and has read even 10% of my posts will know that you, Unit2 and blungld's pathetic, pathological attempts to follow me around and try to discredit me with your gaslighting don't fool anyone with a brain. And yes, I'm using the word gaslighting today because you clowns hope if you continue to try and perpetuate the same lies over and over again, maybe people will start to believe you. Newsflash: No one with a brain will fall for it.

It's hilarious how threatened you snowflake clowns are by me bursting your little lefty bubble of lies. I'm just one single person. Imagine if more of the conservative posters on the board had the tolerance level and thick skin to call you clowns out, too? You'd be ready for the rubber room.
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

If you wish to gaslight us with accusations of gaslighting in threads where no one is gaslighting and then gaslight by responding to non-gaslighting by continuing to gaslighting and accusing others of gaslighting in response and then gaslight us about where you are getting the term gaslighting, you can feel free to go on gaslighting.

Gaslight
See, now you are being an ass. Without showing where we were wrong about accusation of gaslighting, you choose to be snide.

I will choose your word of choice. How many times have you used the word "empathy," going on some false compassion tour as if your delusions reflect some heightened sensibility?

You must be able to empathize with those who do not want to empathize with posters who gaslight and have no empathy but use the term empathy as if that makes them empathetic. If you have no empathy yourself for anyone while pretending to empathize but really are just mistaking as empathy your delusions of grandeur for no apparent reasons other than some random posters have starred your prior post in this all too important forum, then you really need to have empathy for others who show no patience for that type of stupidity and falsity.

But I empathize why you would like others to empathize with your attempt to show a veneer of empathy because quite frankly, what else do you have?

Oh, let's not forget that you desire to show empathy to the black community by letting the black community know that if all white people were like you, this would be a better world for them and that you understand why they loot despite the fact that looting was done by all races.

Oh and something about redneck, RWNJ, white privilege, and fascism.

And empathy.
Unit2Sucks
bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Anyone who's not a dimwitted stooge and has read even 10% of my posts will know that you, Unit2 and blungld's pathetic, pathological attempts to follow me around and try to discredit me with your gaslighting don't fool anyone with a brain. And yes, I'm using the word gaslighting today because you clowns hope if you continue to try and perpetuate the same lies over and over again, maybe people will start to believe you. Newsflash: No one with a brain will fall for it.

Because you asked for it, I'm going to continue dunking on you.

Although you are thoroughly unfamiliar with DMCA takedowns, I will tell you who isn't: Trump's campaign.

If you click on the link (which you probably won't) and read it, you would see that it describes the Trump campaign accusing someone of violating their intellectual property rights and that the subject company immediately took down the content. That's how DMCA takedowns work and exactly what happened with Twitter (and now FB and IG for the same infringing content). You will also note that the person whose content was taken down challenged the company and had the challenge denied and then worked with an outside group to challenge it again and the company was convinced to host the content again. That same thing could happen here if Trump's campaign could rightfully make a claim that their use is permitted and not actually a copyright violation. They haven't made any such claim however. I suspect that the campaign will remove the infringing content and re-post the cleansed video.

I'm more than willing to have an argument on the merits here, but bearlyamazing is throughly uninterested in doing so because he isn't here to engage in a good faith discussion.

So if my posts in this thread have been a pathetic, pathological attempt to discredit you with gaslighting, it should be exceedingly easy for you to present substantive arguments in your favor. You have yet to do so. And, let's be honest, you won't do so because you have no idea what you are talking about.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

Gaslight
See, now you are being an ass. Without showing where we were wrong about accusation of gaslighting, you choose to be snide.

I will choose your word of choice. How many times have you used the word "empathy," going on some false compassion tour as if your delusions reflect some heightened sensibility?

You must be able to empathize with those who do not want to empathize with posters who gaslight and have no empathy but use the term empathy as if that makes them empathetic. If you have no empathy yourself for anyone while pretending to empathize but really are just mistaking as empathy your delusions of grandeur for no apparent reasons other than some random posters have starred your prior post in this all too important forum, then you really need to have empathy for others who show no patience for that type of stupidity and falsity.

But I empathize why you would like others to empathize with your attempt to show a veneer of empathy because quite frankly, what else do you have?

Oh, let's not forget that you desire to show empathy to the black community by letting the black community know that if all white people were like you, this would be a better world for them and that you understand why they loot despite the fact that looting was done by all races.

And empathy.

Seriously, I don't know what triggered you. It seems to be my point about empathy. If that is what it is, I apologize. I tried to make amends. But the bottom line is sycasey is right. I have had the same experience where you are great to talk to for a good while and then you become triggered and lose it. I like talking with you when you are calm. No one is trying to gas light you or insult you. Just having a conversation

I'm sorry that when you flipped out this time that I responded in kind. I'all try to remember next time to disengage. Honestly spending this much time this angry with people on the internet is not good for you.

Peace.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is just nonsense.

More typical gaslighting

Gaslight

And empathy.

By the way, empathize is not a synonym for sympathize.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Warning: This poster has a history of trying to discredit posters with views he doesn't share with spurious accusations. RT wasn't the only poster of the video I posted of Biden's quid pro quo crime in a single post of probably 1,000 or so posts here.

It's hilarious how threatened you snowflake clowns are by me bursting your little lefty bubble of lies. I'm just one single person. Imagine if more of the conservative posters on the board had the tolerance level and thick skin to call you clowns out, too? You'd be ready for the rubber room.

bearlyamazing
Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Although you are thoroughly unfamiliar with DMCA takedowns, I will tell you who isn't: Trump's campaign. If you click on the link (which you probably won't) and read it, you would see that it describes the Trump campaign accusing someone of violating their intellectual property rights and that the subject company immediately took down the content. That's how DMCA takedowns worst. You will also note that the person whose content was taken down challenged the company and had the challenge denied and then worked with an outside group to challenge it again and the company was convinced to host the content again. That same thing could happen here if Trump's campaign could rightfully make a claim that their use is permitted and not actually a copyright violation. They haven't made any such claim however. I suspect that the campaign will remove the infringing content and re-post the cleansed video.

I'm more than willing to have an argument on the merits here, but bearlyamazing is throughly uninterested in doing so because he isn't here to engage in a good faith discussion.

So if my posts in this thread have been a pathetic, pathological attempt to discredit you with gaslighting, it should be exceedingly easy for you to present substantive arguments in your favor. You have yet to do so. And, let's be honest, you won't do so because you have no idea what you are talking about.
"Continue dunking on me?" If that doesn't sum up your delusional, self-inflated ego here, I don't know what does.

You know as well as me that DMCA is not even remotely but rather selectively enforced by twitter. There are thousands, if not millions, of videos that use other people's images without their permission that stay up if they don't offend the wrong sensibilities.

Why don't you just admit that this was a great video that the left is terrified black and undecided voters will see and might understand that Trump's not the racist that chumps like you make him out to be?

And speaking of black voters, another Rasmussen poll came out today saying black support of Trump now tops 40%. But because I'm discerning, I know Rasmussen polls tend to be outliers so I'm not buying it. But it is a strong indication that black support of Trump is growing much more than the left cares to admit. It's certainly nowhere near 8% anymore. And that has people like you terrified.
bearlyamazing
OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

I try to discredit you because you constantly post lies as fact from terrible sources and then don't stand behind it. Your opinion are yours. That is fine. Making accusations about people based on ridiculous conspiracy theories you find on the internet is not fine. Lying about people's reputations is not fine.

You promised you would apologize in 6 months if the accusations you posted based on a YouTube video from a literal Russian propaganda organization did not lead to consequences. Apologize like you said you would and I'll stop.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

You literally posted Russian propaganda.
bearlyamazing
OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

I literally didn't, you knucklehead. That was a compilation of clips of Biden's quid pro quo admission, news reports and commentary,none of them Russian sourced. Just because you don't like who aggregated them doesn't make them Russian propaganda, you gaslighting clown. And as I said, they weren't the only ones who posted it, just like RT were one of many who posted the standalone Biden quid pro quo admission but that doesn't invalidate his admission or guilt, either. But by all means, keep this nonsense up and keep making yourself look smaller by the day.
Unit2Sucks
bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Although you are thoroughly unfamiliar with DMCA takedowns, I will tell you who isn't: Trump's campaign. If you click on the link (which you probably won't) and read it, you would see that it describes the Trump campaign accusing someone of violating their intellectual property rights and that the subject company immediately took down the content. That's how DMCA takedowns worst. You will also note that the person whose content was taken down challenged the company and had the challenge denied and then worked with an outside group to challenge it again and the company was convinced to host the content again. That same thing could happen here if Trump's campaign could rightfully make a claim that their use is permitted and not actually a copyright violation. They haven't made any such claim however. I suspect that the campaign will remove the infringing content and re-post the cleansed video.

"Continue dunking on me?" If that doesn't sum up your delusional, self-inflated ego here, I don't know what does.

You know as well as me that DMCA is not even remotely but rather selectively enforced by twitter. There are thousands, if not millions, of videos that use other people's images without their permission that stay up if they don't offend the wrong sensibilities.

Why don't you just admit that this was a great video that the left is terrified black and undecided voters will see and might understand that Trump's not the racist that chumps like you make him out to be?

And speaking of black voters, another Rasmussen poll came out today saying black support of Trump now tops 40%. But because I'm discerning, I know Rasmussen polls tend to be outliers so I'm not buying it. But it is a strong indication that black support of Trump is growing much more than the left cares to admit. It's certainly nowhere near 8% anymore. And that has people like you terrified.
The fact that you talk about Twitter enforcing the DMCA proves you have no idea what you are talking about. Twitter must comply with valid DMCA takedown requests, not "enforce" the DMCA. The whole point of the DMCA takedown process is that Twitter isn't obligated to sua sponte take down content that might be infringing. If you had any interest in this topic or in understanding what was actually happening, you would already know this.

Show me evidence of Twitter not responding to thousands, let alone millions, of DMCA takedown requests based on "sensibilities" or political bias or whatever else you think is going on.

Show your work. No one has any reason to believe your unverified speculation that they are selectively enforcing.

If you can prove me wrong, I will gladly acknowledge it in this thread* and unlike you I won't welch.

* following your apology to OTB for the Biden accusations you made not coming through and following you entering into the bet with blungld that you originally offered.
Blueblood
bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

Khoroshaya rabota, tovarishch, vy zlite ikh i rasstraivayete ikh pravitel'stvo!
bearlyamazing
Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

The fact that you talk about Twitter enforcing the DMCA proves you have no idea what you are talking about. Twitter must comply with valid DMCA takedown requests, not "enforce" the DMCA. The whole point of the DMCA takedown process is that Twitter isn't obligated to sua sponte take down content that might be infringing. If you had any interest in this topic or in understanding what was actually happening, you would already know this.

Show me evidence of Twitter not responding to thousands, let alone millions, of DMCA takedown requests based on "sensibilities" or political bias or whatever else you think is going on.

Show your work. No one has any reason to believe your unverified speculation that they are selectively enforcing.

If you can prove me wrong, I will gladly acknowledge it in this thread* and unlike you I won't welch.

* following your apology to OTB for the Biden accusations you made not coming through and following you entering into the bet with blungld that you originally offered.

Anxiously awaiting you obsessively continuing to follow me around with more of your silly challenges like you and your OCD compatriots here oaktown and blugld have taken to do in your pathetic attempt to shout me down or run me off.

What do you know about this supposed DMCA request and it it was legit, proven or even actually occurred? How do you know they're just not censoring content they're scared will win the hearts and minds of people who are looking for hope in these troubled times?

You don't. So get off your high horse and stop assuming you have all the answers and shooting the messenger.
Blueblood
bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Anxiously awaiting you obsessively continuing to follow me around with more of your silly challenges like you and your OCD compatriots here oaktown and blugld have taken to do in your pathetic attempt to shout me down or run me off. (Oh, this is a shame. I bet you have hearing problems and a bad leg? No wonder you're angry!)

What do you know about this supposed DMCA request (We wonder the same about you?) and it it (Oh my...and you studder too?) was legit, proven or even actually occurred? How do you know they're just not censoring content they're scared will win the hearts and minds of people who are looking for hope in these troubled times? (I'm looking for hope too...hope that you will just blow away!)

You don't. So get off your high horse and stop assuming you have all the answers and shooting the messenger. (Oh c'mon, you're mad because you haven't been invited to ride on his high horse too? Ain't that the truth?)
Unit2Sucks
bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearlyamazing said:

OaktownBear said:

bearlyamazing said:

Anxiously awaiting you obsessively continuing to follow me around with more of your silly challenges like you and your OCD compatriots here oaktown and blugld have taken to do in your pathetic attempt to shout me down or run me off.

What do you know about this supposed DMCA request and it it was legit, proven or even actually occurred? How do you know they're just not censoring content they're scared will win the hearts and minds of people who are looking for hope in these troubled times?

You don't. So get off your high horse and stop assuming you have all the answers and shooting the messenger.
What are you a messenger of - pathetically uninformed hysterical right-wing conspiracy theories? You don't even pretend to have any substantive response. You haven't negated a single argument I've made in this thread. You have no idea how the DMCA takedown process works and continue to double down on baseless complaints. I honestly feel sorry for you if you think anyone is dumb enough to believe this stuff.

On the other hand, I suppose you could pass for presidential material given the state of the party you shill for. So, congrats?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.