YO-Semite Towering Sequoias

579 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back In 1970 I was a seasonal ranger in Yosemite.
Surprisingly most of the couple of million visitors that summer knew how to pronounce Yosemite.
Until the end of summer when we got busloads of NYC kids whose parents had put them
on a bus to see the country from sea to shining sea. By that time they hated everything; their next stop was LA and they were really anxious to get home and away from all these idiots who occupied the rest of the country. And they didn't even want to try and learn how to pronounce anything in California, and POTUS is no different than those obnoxious brats fifty years ago. Why he was talking about Yosemite, I wasn't quite sure, but mangling the name, that would be expected.

Hopefully the speech writer who put together that sentence POTUS mangled so badly has been summarily executed. Maybe it is the Trump disease that is contagious among his speech writers, but there are no Sequoias in Yosemite Valley; towering granite walls forming the valley but no sequoias. Only somebody who really hated POTUS would put two words he had no hope of pronouncing, Yosemite and Sequoia in a short sentence; he was probably smiling as he was led to the firing squad.

The glaciers that carved out Yosemite Valley wiped out all sequoias that might have been living there. Only in pockets of the forest not covered by glaciers with very deep soil were the sequoias able to survive. Most visitors never see the handful of sequoias surviving close to Yosemite Valley, park visitors have to go next to the distant southern entrance to see the Wawona Grove of Sequoias. The 'real' towering sequoias are in Redwood National Park and the largest groves of the shorter but more massive Giant Sequoias are in Sequoia National Park.
smh
preach brother.
Yosy though, reminds of the time [1988] me'n my dirt biker bro went on his first/last 4 day sierra pack. Condensed version: trailhead L-Tenaya, nap top of slim Clouds Rest, a lonesome early brunch on Half Dome, chased fat mama bear away from svea white gas burner (above lil Y valley), and coasting out Cathedral basin. # humble brags
Farewell breakfast view [not our snaps]..
sp4149
Along the east side of Cathedral Lake there are several ponds along the trail. I was surprised to find they were salt water with brine shrimp swimming in them, all at nearly 10,000 feet. Fifty years ago this month, on a LONG day hike from the valley to Tuolumne Meadows.
bearister
" And they didn't even want to try and learn how to pronounce anything in California, and POTUS is no different than those obnoxious brats fifty years ago."

There is only one problem with the "hatred of California prevents me from pronouncing words properly theory" and that is tRump is non discriminatory when it comes to butchering pronunciation. There can be several reasons for this among them:
1. He is not a reader so there are thousands of words he is seeing for the first time when they appear before him;
2. The poor lad is clearly not a rocket scientist.

A brief history of Donald Trump expertly mispronouncing things | JOE.co.uk

https://www.joe.co.uk/politics/brief-history-donald-trump-mispronouncing-201547

*Last week it was clear that "plasma" was another exotic word that he was learning about for the first time.

**My Dad's father was an Irish immigrant (as were all my grandparents) that was a sailmaker in Baltimore, Ireland. When my Dad was growing up (1920's-30's) his family would spend summers in Yosemite because my grandfather worked making and repairing the large canvas tents (in places like Camp Curry). During WWII my grandfather transferred his skills to Mare Island Naval Base working on canvas materials aboard ships. He contracted mesothelioma as a result but still survived until he was 88. He never smoked so the disease didn't trigger until late in his life.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.