Every Senate Democrat just voted to block COVID relief bill

7,904 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Su Tando said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

hanky1 said:

Coronavirus relief bill w zero Democrats voting for it. I thought this was the party of the people.
Fake legislators.

They could always write their own bill, but they want the country to suffer so that the Republicans get blamed.
Dems already passed a $3.5 trillion bill
So your position is the country doesn't need another relief bill?
https://time.com/5814076/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-corporate-bailout/
You really don't know what you are talking about. Stuck in a right wing bubble and can't have discussion about what is actually happening in the world.

The $3.5 trillion bill is a subsequent bill. The House passed it months ago. The House Democrats are waiting for the Republican Senate to produce something.
It's not. You're wrong.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/05/13/democrats-included-two-deeply-polarizing-proposals-in-3-trillion-stimulus-proposal/#1249eb474fbe
I'm trying to understand your point here. The House has passed a fairly generous relief bill. Democrats control the House, so of course it has a bunch of stuff in it that Dems want and Republicans don't. No surprise there.

The Senate has attempted to pass a less-generous relief bill (again, no surprise here as the Senate is Republican controlled) but thus far the vote has failed. The Senate has no relief bill of its own to send back to the House and begin negotiations between leadership on what the final bill will contain. So is your argument now that Democrats in the House should start negotiating against themselves and water down their own bill into something they think Republicans could support, even though Republicans have put nothing on the table thus far? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing you love to criticize Obama and the Democrats for doing during his term?
I love how you are completely ignoring how Pelosi keeps trying to remove SALT caps as part of so-called "economic relief"
1. This would represent relief to some group of citizens. You want to argue that it's not targeted in the right way, fine. Even with this the Democrats' relief bill is still far more generous than what Republicans are offering.

2. It still seems like you are blaming the lack of economic relief on Pelosi and Democrats because they put in provisions like this that Republicans won't like, above and beyond any criticism of Republicans for not passing anything at all. So again, you're saying you want Democrats to water down their own bill to try to appease the do-nothing GOP? Sounds like the Obama years all over again.
Lack of economic relief is the fault of all current Congressmen, Senators, and the President. Not one of them deserves re-election, but of course many just reflexively vote for the incumbent or on tribalism or on wedge issues.

So, we should vote for candidates that don't exist? We have a two party system. No matter how much it hurts your feelings, that is what we are stuck with. So we vote for the candidates that we have, not for the ones we wish or pretend we have. But you keep throwing a fit, Yogi. Maybe Bernie will make it in 2024!

hanky1
I thought democrats were all about wealth distribution though. You know...moving money from the rich to the poor.

That's part of what's going on here. Moving money from rich blue states to poor red states.

It's an end result of this but not the primary purpose. The primary purpose is to stop having the FEDERAL govt subsidize high housing prices of the rich by not allowing them to write off LOCAL taxes. It made no sense to begin with.

This is something consistent With progressive ideals. But I guess it's not when it personally hits your wallet right?
sycasey
Su Tando said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

hanky1 said:

Coronavirus relief bill w zero Democrats voting for it. I thought this was the party of the people.
Fake legislators.

They could always write their own bill, but they want the country to suffer so that the Republicans get blamed.
You really don't know what you are talking about. Stuck in a right wing bubble and can't have discussion about what is actually happening in the world.

The $3.5 trillion bill is a subsequent bill. The House passed it months ago. The House Democrats are waiting for the Republican Senate to produce something.
It's not. You're wrong.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/05/13/democrats-included-two-deeply-polarizing-proposals-in-3-trillion-stimulus-proposal/#1249eb474fbe
I'm trying to understand your point here. The House has passed a fairly generous relief bill. Democrats control the House, so of course it has a bunch of stuff in it that Dems want and Republicans don't. No surprise there.

The Senate has attempted to pass a less-generous relief bill (again, no surprise here as the Senate is Republican controlled) but thus far the vote has failed. The Senate has no relief bill of its own to send back to the House and begin negotiations between leadership on what the final bill will contain. So is your argument now that Democrats in the House should start negotiating against themselves and water down their own bill into something they think Republicans could support, even though Republicans have put nothing on the table thus far? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing you love to criticize Obama and the Democrats for doing during his term?
I love how you are completely ignoring how Pelosi keeps trying to remove SALT caps as part of so-called "economic relief"
1. This would represent relief to some group of citizens. You want to argue that it's not targeted in the right way, fine. Even with this the Democrats' relief bill is still far more generous than what Republicans are offering.

2. It still seems like you are blaming the lack of economic relief on Pelosi and Democrats because they put in provisions like this that Republicans won't like, above and beyond any criticism of Republicans for not passing anything at all. So again, you're saying you want Democrats to water down their own bill to try to appease the do-nothing GOP? Sounds like the Obama years all over again.
Lack of economic relief is the fault of all current Congressmen, Senators, and the President. Not one of them deserves re-election, but of course many just reflexively vote for the incumbent or on tribalism or on wedge issues.
If that is your actual point, maybe don't lead with a post like this:
Quote:

Fake legislators.

Let's follow the argument here. First you said Democrats didn't write their own bill. After people said they actually did pass their own bill out of the House, you criticized them for not writing ANOTHER bill that might be able to by fully passed. I'm not sure how else to read this argument other than to assume you are saying they should re-write the bill to appease Republicans and get something done. Except then you go on to argue that the Democratic plan is not "legislation for the people" because it has things like removing the SALT cap that will benefit higher earners. But if the bill is to be re-written to make Republicans happier I guarantee you that it will not contain more things to help low-income people. Republican bills rarely do.

So this argument seems fully circular at this point: it's the Democrats' fault if they don't pass a bill, it's still their fault if they do but it's not progressive enough, but then it's also their fault that it's not something Republicans will support. Meanwhile, no Republican relief plan has passed any house of Congress or been supported by the President, but for some reason the focus is on Democrats' inadequacies, trying to paint them as equally culpable (or worse) on this issue. I have to say I don't understand why you're making this argument, other than just to troll a predominantly liberal forum.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

Su Tando said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

hanky1 said:

Fake legislators.

It's not. You're wrong.

If that is your actual point, maybe don't lead with a post like this
https://www.newsy.com/stories/democrats-republicans-refuse-to-negotiate-covid-19-bill/
Unit2Sucks
hanky1 said:

I thought democrats were all about wealth distribution though. You know...moving money from the rich to the poor.

That's part of what's going on here. Moving money from rich blue states to poor red states.

It's an end result of this but not the primary purpose. The primary purpose is to stop having the FEDERAL govt subsidize high housing prices of the rich by not allowing them to write off LOCAL taxes. It made no sense to begin with.

This is something consistent With progressive ideals. But I guess it's not when it personally hits your wallet right?
LOL this is moving money from affluent blue state people to affluent red state people. I'm not surprised you don't know the difference. The idea that this was about subsidization of housing prices was laughable, they could have targeted it so many ways. For example - there is a limit on the size of mortgage (which they also reduced in the TJCA) but not on the amount of interest itself that you can deduct. The only reason the SALT cap happened was to enable the Republicans to deliver a bigger tax cut to their donor class. Imagine if Biden/Pelosi/Shumer pass a new tax bill in 2021 that removes the SALT cap and the cap on mortgages and pays for it by raising taxes on the highest income brackets. The outrage from red state republicans would be fierce.
sycasey
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

Su Tando said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

sycasey said:

Roxie Richter said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

hanky1 said:

Fake legislators.

It's not. You're wrong.

If that is your actual point, maybe don't lead with a post like this
https://www.newsy.com/stories/democrats-republicans-refuse-to-negotiate-covid-19-bill/
Is this shallow report supposed to refute anything I said? Yes, news reports like this love to present the usual "both sides" narrative, but the fact remains that Democrats have passed something and Republicans haven't.
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

LOL this is moving money from affluent blue state people to affluent red state people. I'm not surprised you don't know the difference. The idea that this was about subsidization of housing prices was laughable, they could have targeted it so many ways. For example - there is a limit on the size of mortgage (which they also reduced in the TJCA) but not on the amount of interest itself that you can deduct. The only reason the SALT cap happened was to enable the Republicans to deliver a bigger tax cut to their donor class. Imagine if Biden/Pelosi/Shumer pass a new tax bill in 2021 that removes the SALT cap and the cap on mortgages and pays for it by raising taxes on the highest income brackets. The outrage from red state republicans would be fierce.

The fact you believe this is a tax break for the rich shows how delusional some people with TDS can be.

16 million people claimed the SALT deduction for the 2018 tax year, which is down from 44.3 million households in the 2017 tax year.

That's a staggering ~28 million people who are paying MORE in taxes. Let me break that down for you: 44-16= 28. Did you follow? Those 28 million are Almost exclusively in the upper income bracket (top 30%) of income earners in the US.
Unit2Sucks
hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

The fact you believe this is a tax break for the rich shows how delusional some people with TDS can be.

16 million people claimed the SALT deduction for the 2018 tax year, which is down from 44.3 million households in the 2017 tax year.

That's a staggering ~28 million people who are paying MORE in taxes. Let me break that down for you: 44-16= 28. Did you follow? Those 28 million are Almost exclusively in the upper income bracket (top 30%) of income earners in the US.
You are pretty clueless. Fewer people filed for SALT in 2018 because the TJCA increased the standard deduction. The argument you are making now goes against your earlier argument, not that anyone has ever accused you of making sense or being consistent. The vast majority of those 28 million benefited from taking the standard deduction rather than itemizing, in part because of the cap on SALT. If you understood what you were talking about, you would realize that this is self-evident.

You should get back to making up things about COVID - like when you said the mortality rate was less than 0.1%. At least when you do that it's presidential.
AunBear89
hanky1 said:

I thought...

Well, there's your problem.
dajo9
Hanky really, really doesn't want to talk about the inability of Senate Republicans to pass Covid relief
American Vermin
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

You are pretty clueless. Fewer people filed for SALT in 2018 because the TJCA increased the standard deduction. The argument you are making now goes against your earlier argument, not that anyone has ever accused you of making sense or being consistent. The vast majority of those 28 million benefited from taking the standard deduction rather than itemizing, in part because of the cap on SALT. If you understood what you were talking about, you would realize that this is self-evident.

You should get back to making up things about COVID - like when you said the mortality rate was less than 0.1%. At least when you do that it's presidential.

Yes that is the entire point - to take the standard deduction. Lol someone is having an aneurysm today. The deduction totals significantly less than the SALT. It's not even close.
Unit2Sucks
hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Yes that is the entire point - to take the standard deduction. Lol someone is having an aneurysm today. The deduction totals significantly less than the SALT. It's not even close.
So "the entire point" you are making is irrelevant to the conversation about the SALT cap? Sounds about par for the course with you.
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

So "the entire point" you are making is irrelevant to the conversation about the SALT cap? Sounds about par for the course with you.

There is a mountain of objective evidence that SALT cap raises taxes overall on the wealthy. Fact.
Yogi35
hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

There is a mountain of objective evidence that SALT cap raises taxes overall on the wealthy. Fact.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/opinion/salt-tax-deduction-cut.html

Yogi38
dajo9 said:

When are the Senate Republicans going to pass a Covid relief bill like the House Democrats have?
They did. The CARES Act. The one you were so proud of until others pointed out to you what a corporate handout it was because you are not very smart or informed.
hanky1
SALT caps is one of those rare instances where traditional Republican ideals are aligned with traditional progressive ideals.

It's progressive because it eliminates a tool rich pool use to get a tax break.

It's aligned with Republican ideals because it reduces the scope of the Federal govt by not having the Feds subsidize local taxes.

This is one thing everyone should agree on if they stick to their ideals. Of course no one does...only money matters.
Unit2Sucks
hanky1 said:

SALT caps is one of those rare instances where traditional Republican ideals are aligned with traditional progressive ideals.

It's aligned with Republican ideals because it reduces the scope of the Federal govt by not having the Feds subsidize local taxes.

This is one thing everyone should agree on if they stick to their ideals. Of course no one does...only money matters.
You are just doubling down on your misunderstanding. They capped SALT so they could lower the top line income tax rates. It was a transfer of wealth pure and simple. If they wanted to tax wealthy people more, why would the largest income tax cuts be for the high income earners? A married couple making $500k-$600k saw their marginal rate drop from 39.6% to 35%.

Like I said, you should stick to your lane and go back to making things up about topics where you can't be easily fact-checked.
Krugman Is A Moron
Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

You are just doubling down on your misunderstanding. They capped SALT so they could lower the top line income tax rates. It was a transfer of wealth pure and simple. If they wanted to tax wealthy people more, why would the largest income tax cuts be for the high income earners? A married couple making $500k-$600k saw their marginal rate drop from 39.6% to 35%.

Like I said, you should stick to your lane and go back to making things up about topics where you can't be easily fact-checked.
You should admit that you got owned on this subject and move on
dajo9
Garou said:

dajo9 said:

Garou said:

hanky1 said:

Fake legislators.

I'm just going to let you argue this one with yourself
American Vermin
dajo9
Garou said:

dajo9 said:

When are the Senate Republicans going to pass a Covid relief bill like the House Democrats have?
They did. The CARES Act. The one you were so proud of until others pointed out to you what a corporate handout it was because you are not very smart or informed.

So which side of your argument are you on Garou?
American Vermin
hanky1
Nancy rejects a bill conceived by a committee of 25 Ds and 25 Rs in favor of her own. The vanity!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-snaps-back-reporter-smaller-coronavirus-relief-bill.amp
sycasey
hanky1 said:

Nancy rejects a bill conceived by a committee of 25 Ds and 25 Rs in favor of her own. The vanity!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-snaps-back-reporter-smaller-coronavirus-relief-bill.amp

25 of the most conservative Democrats who do not actually represent the middle ground of the House membership.
dajo9
hanky1 said:

Hanky, how come the Senate Republicans haven't passed a bill?
American Vermin
hanky1
sycasey said:

hanky1 said:

25 of the most conservative Democrats who do not actually represent the middle ground of the House membership.
25 Ds and 25 Rs brave enough to stand up to their leadership and try to get something done rather than play politics.
BearForce2
Matthew Patel said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

The ad-hominem move didn't work.
Tap out U2sucks before you get hurt!
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Is that considered a sound scissoring?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

The ultra-wealthy do benefit from the SALT deductions, but these are clearly deductions meant to help the middle-class.

The ultra-wealthy do pay property tax, but property tax is not a significant portion of their living expenses.

They generally do not have mortgages so there is no interest to deduct.

They do pay state income tax, but most of their income is capital gains taxes and not ordinary income.

Further, filers with incomes over $500K were greatly affected, but their loss in deductions was offset by the decrease of the top federal income tax rate (from 39.6% to 37%), the doubling of the estate tax deduction,and the cutting of the capital gains rate.

The reality is that middle-class ($100-300K per year) residents of California, D.C., Massachusetts, Illinois, Maryland, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey were the most impacted which is why the GOP had no problems capping it even thought it impacted Republicans in those states as well.

We recognize it for what it was and I personally am still fuming about it!
AunBear89
Another informative and informed post, filled with facts and details wasted on the GOP voter and our Righteous friends in BI.
Yogi8
AunBear89 said:

Another informative and informed post, filled with facts and details wasted on the GOP voter and our Righteous friends in BI.
LOL, you wouldn't know a fact if it smacked you in the forehead.
hanky1
Democrats, the party of government, are torn over coronavirus relief

Internal struggles burst into open as moderates threaten revolt over Pelosi's COVID-19 aid stance

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/09/21/democrats-party-of-government-torn-coronavirus-relief-trump/

Honestly I think the best thing for the country is just to have another government shutdown. Just let the whole thing burn.
hanky1
dajo9 said:

hanky1 said:

Because they're too busy figuring out who the next Superior Court justice will be.
dimitrig
hanky1 said:

dajo9 said:

hanky1 said:

Because they're too busy figuring out who the next Superior Court justice will be.

Superior Court? First the President was a TV celebrity and now the Justices will also be!

Superior Court

Yogi11
Matthew Patel said:

Unit2Sucks said:

hanky1 said:

More SALT cap ownage
hanky1
Someone needs to come take their beating and drink their medicine re: SALT Caps

Look at this quote from Business Insider which cites a study by the Tax Foundation

Furthermore, the study concluded that if Democrats win back the Senate, therefore taking majority control in Congress, then the Biden administration will be in position to pass legislation that would remove the $10,000 cap on state and local tax deductions. This would help reduce the tax rates for high-income earners.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-k-shaped-tax-plan-201403048.html

hanky1
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.