The Off Topic Board is not a free for all

8,405 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by oski003
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Our conduct and posting policies apply here. No personal attacks, no intentional trolling and no inappropriate content

helltopay1
Dear Greg: Flagging 'personal attacks" is a worthy endeavor. i.e. calling another poster vile names, etc. if I were a moderator, I would even consider calling someone a 'racist, sexist, homophobe, white supremacist, privileged white, etc name calling because the intent of these name-callings is to stifle and end debate rather than to encourage and expand it.
'intentional trolling" is more difficult to define, because unless you know the persons' intellect, character and personality, how do you separate "trolling"from positions which are honest expressions of a persons' feelings, thoughts, policies and knowledge.?
In the final analysis, I do appreciate your site, and I will even try my best to hide my sarcasm and irritation from some of my tormentors on this site. helltopay1.
helltopay1
greg: How do I place someone on "ignore.'? Thanks
Yogi37
helltopay1 said:

I'll teach you if you take the Political Compass Test and tell us what your score was.
https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
smh
helltopay1 said:

not greg (duh), but easy peace-y: open any thread, click on miscreants handle (mine for instance), select a duration, and you're done:
> How long do you want to ignore this user?
> 24 hours One week Permanently Cancel

happy trails

trick: click on the icon to the left of a blocked handle's post gives a peek at post's contents
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
BearForce2

Play nice.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
concordtom
Yogi37 said:

helltopay1 said:

I'll teach you if you take the Political Compass Test and tell us what your score was.
My kids came to me with this last year. I did it.
Everyone should do it and post it in their Profile.
BearForce2
concordtom said:

Yogi37 said:

helltopay1 said:

My kids came to me with this last year. I did it.
Everyone should do it and post it in their Profile.

Everyone should also try to determine what gender they are.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
concordtom
DiabloWags
Sadly, there is no active or consistent Moderation here.
It's literally non-existent.

I mean how many times have we seen a specific poster make unsubstantiated claims like how the "2020 Election was Stolen" and nothing happen with such a post?

oski003
Awful name-calling and bullying post removed.
Unit2Sucks
BearGreg said:

Our conduct and posting policies apply here. No personal attacks, no intentional trolling and no inappropriate content

This board is failing like Hemingway described bankruptcy - gradually then suddenly.

For years it mostly featured a mix of healthy conflict and unhealthy conflict but it's morphed into a sort of parallel universe with a lot of (what I imagine to be) 4chan elements having conversations along side normal people.

At this point I would guess that more than half of the posts would constitute "intentional trolling" and most of that is coming from a small handful of posters who you have previously banned but who are more determined to be disruptive here than you are to provide a place for genuine conversation which probably requires someone to manage the conduct and posting policies.

I don't have any answers (other than providing moderation powers to someone I consider magnanimous like Sycasey or Big C) and understand that you have better things to do than continuously ban annoying people who are determined to thwart your authority and return to a place where they are both unwelcome and unappreciated but here we are.
BearHunter
DiabloWags
Greg, show the University some respect and shut down the OT Forum.

This cesspool is beyond Embarrassing.

Seriously.

Goldener Bar
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGreg said:

This board is failing like Hemingway described bankruptcy - gradually then suddenly.

For years it mostly featured a mix of healthy conflict and unhealthy conflict but it's morphed into a sort of parallel universe with a lot of (what I imagine to be) 4chan elements having conversations along side normal people.

At this point I would guess that more than half of the posts would constitute "intentional trolling" and most of that is coming from a small handful of posters who you have previously banned but who are more determined to be disruptive here than you are to provide a place for genuine conversation which probably requires someone to manage the conduct and posting policies.

I don't have any answers (other than providing moderation powers to someone I consider magnanimous like Sycasey or Big C) and understand that you have better things to do than continuously ban annoying people who are determined to thwart your authority and return to a place where they are both unwelcome and unappreciated but here we are.
DiabloWags
More trolling by a serial troll.
Pathetic.

Easter Bunny again finds way to upset a black basketball star | Bear Insider
oski003
DiabloWags said:

More trolling by a serial troll.
Pathetic.

Easter Bunny again finds way to upset a black basketball star | Bear Insider

This isn't trolling. I don't like Biden, and I posted a factual negative news story about him. It should be okay to bash POTUS here. Your response to it is actually trolling. Thanks.
AunBear89
You posted it twice. First, in the Breaking News thread. Then, because you weren't getting the attention you desperately need, you started a new thread with the same post.

Trolly trolls gonna troll.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

You posted it twice. First, in the Breaking News thread. Then, because you weren't getting the attention you desperately need, you started a new thread with the same post.

It was because you shifted the topic to flame-throwing personal attacks and insults, and I was hoping to discuss POTUS' actions. Obviously, you followed it and continued the same, showing zero board etiquette.
DiabloWags
AunBear89 said:

Bingo.
This place has become a joke.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

It was because you shifted the topic to flame-throwing personal attacks and insults, and I was hoping to discuss POTUS' actions. Obviously, you followed it and continued the same, showing zero board etiquette.
Upon further review, my previous response has been overruled.
DiabloWags

There isnt even the slightest posturing of "moderation" on this forum.
That's why I will be leaving on Independence Day.
The trolls have taken over.

Look for a troll post to follow in 3.... 2.....1.

BearHunter
oski003
DiabloWags said:

The board will be much more civil when you leave, although I will miss your input on finances and markets. Take care and please be more respectful on other forums and in person.
DiabloWags
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

The board will be much more civil when you leave, although I will miss your input on finances and markets. Take care and please be more respectful on other forums and in person.

So says yet another "Holier than Thou" troll.
As if you "know" anything about me on other social media forums or in person.
You're one of the reasons why OT is an embarrassment to the University of California.

oski003
DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

You're one of the reasons why OT is a total cesspool.

Ok.
DiabloWags
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Ok.

I was a contributing reporter to Bearinsider when Chris Avery owned the platform.

I covered Cal Track & Field and the terrific run that Alysia Johnson had enroute to her NCAA 800m Championship in 2007.

You have no idea who I am.
And your claim to know otherwise (in person) goes to show just how sophomoric you are.

oski003
DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Ok.

I was a contributing reporter to Bearinsider when Chris Avery owned the platform.

I covered Cal Track & Field and the terrific run that Alysia Johnson had enroute to her NCAA 800m Championship in 2007.

You have no idea who I am.
And your claim to know otherwise (in person) goes to show just how sophomoric you are.

That's great. I sincerely hope you conduct yourself better in person and in other forums than you do here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.