RIP Eddie Van Halen

4,797 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chazzed
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was also going to throw out Jimmy Page (#3) and Stevie Ray Vaughn (#12) and Pete Townsend (#10), but I nailed #1 with my first guess.
Eddie landed #8 on this list by Rolling Stone in 2015.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/
Yogi21
No offense to this list (Rolling Stone critics get tons of stuff wrong all the time, but Page, Keith Richards, and Chuck Berry in no way belong above Van Halen. The others it's a matter of taste. I'd even hesitate with Clapton, but when a guy is God for years, you sort of have to leave him up there even if there is nothing revolutionary about his playing.
wifeisafurd
Matthew Patel said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

chazzed said:

Matthew Patel said:

The most influential guitar player that ever lived or will ever live and it's not close

Not even close? Hendrix, Page, etcetera...

Any way, may EVH rest in peace. As I am a hard rock and metal fiend, I really enjoyed his art.
Not even close. EVH literally changed the way the guitar was played.
One of the more influential white guys maybe. Maybe you need a lesson in social justice Yogi.

Without Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry and BB King there is no R&B, rock, etc. And jazz folks will tell you about Wes Montgomery.

For hard rockers, EVP was an inspiration with his techniques and support devices. In fact brilliant. But his style is limited. As for playing hard rock riffs during that era, I will take Slash and Young thank you.
Well, that's because you're:

A) Ignorant as hell
B) Don't know that EVH wasn't white
C) Never played guitar in your life and don't realize what an absolute bombshell Van Halen was to rock guitar

All in all, you're just a dumb ass fscking Trump voter and that's all you'll ever be.

Yogi, you stupid twit.

The point is you said influential, and you ignored the black guitarists who laid the very foundation of R&B, Jazz and Rock. You don't know crap about the history of rock music, and you dishonor music by even talking about it. I know very well that EVH's mother was not of white ancestry, and his father was. All you had to do was read the thread, you stupid twit.

You stupidly said influential, and that is not how well did EVH play per se. You need to read what I said more carefully. One of many things that a make you a stupid twit Yogi, is that if you talk to guitarist they talk about how he impacted how guitars were built, not really how he played technically. They will tell you that there are a lot of guitarists who can play WAY more technical things than EVH, starting with Hendricks. (EVH probably was better in providing entertainment value).

To be "the greatest" at something you have to be able to back up your claim with some objectively evaluable criteria. You are drooling over a guy whose music was limited to '80s hard rock guitar work. He defined hair metal guitar playing, and he probably personally killed disco for which he deserves a noble prize and a parking space at Cal. And he inspired literally generations of imitators. So what, lot's of guys did that? If you look essentially every list of GOAT, EVH doesn't even make top 5. I'm sorry the guy is gone, he but he didn't do crap outside his narrow genre. His concert solos didn't change in 20 plus years. I went to some. Once you get past Eruption, there is not anything that changed much. Technically his style is unorthodox, which is fine, so was Hendrix, but unlike other unorthodox guys, he doesn't tie well into any kind of music theory or sound. He's also not the kind of guy that can play with just anybody or jam. He does his own thing and couldn't really do other stuff. Pretty much every guy mentioned in The Rolling Stones top 25 lists would kick EVH's arse in a contest to play different styles. The reason EVH didn't collaborate much was because he couldn't. I tried playing his stuff and the reality is once you get past the harmonic squeals, bar dive hits and finger tapping (none of which was new), it is really not that great technically when you actually play the strings. (One exception if you can do it, is he did this symetrical scale thing which plays like two guitars - I couldn't do it). As a former garage band guy, one thing is we kept a singer around until he went off to grad school- Eddie was so wasted and had his head up rear so much he couldn't, and he diminished his ability to continue to grow and innovate, along with his band. He dominated a narrow niche for arguably a decade (I would argue Young was better), and never really progressed other than in terms of innovating guitar making (which is something). That is not GOAT material.

I have not heard one reason out of you why EV is the GOAT, AND THAT IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO ACTUALLY SAY. ALL YOU DO MUTTER ABOUT EVERYONE BEING IGNORANT WHICH IS YOU MO SINCE YOU NEVER HAVE ANYTHING SUBSTANTIVE TO SAY.

BTW, EVA said Allan Holdsworth is the GOAT, and I can rest assured you have no freaking clue who that is you stupid twit. My former neighbor Mike, thinks the GOAT probably is Jeff Beck. You can see what he says that in the Rolling Stone summary, you stupid twit.

Go back to gotchas on changing positions, that all is you know how to do you incompetent piece of ecrement.

Yogi21
wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

chazzed said:

Matthew Patel said:

The most influential guitar player that ever lived or will ever live and it's not close

Any way, may EVH rest in peace. As I am a hard rock and metal fiend, I really enjoyed his art.
One of the more influential white guys maybe. Maybe you need a lesson in social justice Yogi.

Without Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry and BB King there is no R&B, rock, etc. And jazz folks will tell you about Wes Montgomery.

For hard rockers, EVP was an inspiration with his techniques and support devices. In fact brilliant. But his style is limited. As for playing hard rock riffs during that era, I will take Slash and Young thank you.

A) Ignorant as hell
C) Never played guitar in your life and don't realize what an absolute bombshell Van Halen was to rock guitar

All in all, you're just a dumb ass fscking Trump voter and that's all you'll ever be.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xThta3L3cPrHwJZsL6/giphy.gif
Yogi, you stupid twit.

The point is you said influential, and you ignored the black guitarists who laid the very foundation of R&B, Jazz and Rock. You don't know crap about the history of rock music, and you dishonor music by even talking about it. I know very well that EVH's mother was not of white ancestry, and his father was. All you had to do was read the thread, you stupid twit.

You stupidly said influential, and that is not how well did EVH play per se. You need to read what I said more carefully. One of many things that a make you a stupid twit Yogi, is that if you talk to guitarist they talk about how he impacted how guitars were built, not really how he played technically. They will tell you that there are a lot of guitarists who can play WAY more technical things than EVH, starting with Hendricks. (EVH probably was better in providing entertainment value).

To be "the greatest" at something you have to be able to back up your claim with some objectively evaluable criteria. You are drooling over a guy whose music was limited to '80s hard rock guitar work. He defined hair metal guitar playing, and he probably personally killed disco for which he deserves a noble prize and a parking space at Cal. And he inspired literally generations of imitators. So what, lot's of guys did that? If you look essentially every list of GOAT, EVH doesn't even make top 5. I'm sorry the guy is gone, he but he didn't do crap outside his narrow genre. His concert solos didn't change in 20 plus years. I went to some. Once you get past Eruption, there is not anything that changed much. Technically his style is unorthodox, which is fine, so was Hendrix, but unlike other unorthodox guys, he doesn't tie well into any kind of music theory or sound. He's also not the kind of guy that can play with just anybody or jam. He does his own thing and couldn't really do other stuff. Pretty much every guy mentioned in The Rolling Stones top 25 lists would kick EVH's arse in a contest to play different styles. The reason EVH didn't collaborate much was because he couldn't. I tried playing his stuff and the reality is once you get past the harmonic squeals, bar dive hits and finger tapping (none of which was new), it is really not that great technically when you actually play the strings. (One exception if you can do it, is he did this symetrical scale thing which plays like two guitars - I couldn't do it). As a former garage band guy, one thing is we kept a singer around until he went off to grad school- Eddie was so wasted and had his head up rear so much he couldn't, and he diminished his ability to continue to grow and innovate, along with his band. He dominated a narrow niche for arguably a decade (I would argue Young was better), and never really progressed other than in terms of innovating guitar making (which is something). That is not GOAT material.

I have not heard one reason out of you why EV is the GOAT, AND THAT IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO ACTUALLY SAY. ALL YOU DO MUTTER ABOUT EVERYONE BEING IGNORANT WHICH IS YOU MO SINCE YOU NEVER HAVE ANYTHING SUBSTANTIVE TO SAY.

BTW, EVA said Allan Holdsworth is the GOAT, and I can rest assured you have no freaking clue who that is you stupid twit. My former neighbor Mike, thinks the GOAT probably is Jeff Beck. You can see what he says that in the Rolling Stone summary, you stupid twit.

Go back to gotchas on changing positions, that all is you know how to do you incompetent piece of ecrement.
Wow. This dude is bitter, angry, and utterly wrong all at the same time.
wifeisafurd
Cool Ice said:

No offense to this list (Rolling Stone critics get tons of stuff wrong all the time, but Page, Keith Richards, and Chuck Berry in no way belong above Van Halen. The others it's a matter of taste. I'd even hesitate with Clapton, but when a guy is God for years, you sort of have to leave him up there even there is nothing revolutionary about his playing.
Why is it that recently dead artists are alway better? I will give you Rolling Stone is biased a lot by commercial success. However, if you talk to actual guitarists, they would differ with you about Page, Berry and Clapton. No one should argue about Beck and Hendricks if they ever played guitar. GOAT encompasses many things, and EVH's portfolio is way to narrow to say that he Is GOAT. I'm still wondering why a hair guitarist who didn't evolve much is not discussed for changing what guitars looked like. He also was an excellent songwriter. GOAT for guitar, no way.
wifeisafurd
Cool Ice said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

chazzed said:

Matthew Patel said:

A) Ignorant as hell

Yogi, you stupid twit.

Can't actually articulate the issues with actual discussion points Yogi? Going through life as a fraud with fake names is really pathetic.
Anarchistbear
These lists go to what music you enjoy. It's personal. I like blues. I think Van Halen and his ilk are uninteresting and the music unlistenable. The Brits are essentially blues manque as Clapton, Page and Richard would freely admit. They are all good but they know their place

The music began between Memphis and Vicksburg- BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Mance Lipscomb, Robert Johnson Elmore James, John Hurt, Freddie King. Others aren't from there but live it: Johnny Winter, Stevie Vaughn, Dickie Betts. Derek Trucks, Hendrix ( when he plays Hey Joe, you know he understands where it started.)

sycasey
Cool Ice said:

No offense to this list (Rolling Stone critics get tons of stuff wrong all the time, but Page, Keith Richards, and Chuck Berry in no way belong above Van Halen. The others it's a matter of taste. I'd even hesitate with Clapton, but when a guy is God for years, you sort of have to leave him up there even there is nothing revolutionary about his playing.

The RS list is about "greatest" but your original claim was about "most influential." For rock guitar I don't think anyone tops Berry for influence. Yes, he has the advantage of being first, but that's the point. He influenced everything that came after.
dimitrig
Anarchistbear said:

These lists go to what music you enjoy. It's personal. I like blues. I think Van Halen and his ilk are uninteresting and the music unlistenable. The Brits are essentially blues manque as Clapton, Page and Richard would freely admit. They are all good but they know their place

The music began between Memphis and Vicksburg- BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson, Mance Lipscomb, Robert Johnson Elmore James, John Hurt, Freddie King. Others aren't from there but live it: Johnny Winter, Stevie Vaughn, Dickie Betts. Derek Trucks, Hendrix ( when he plays Hey Joe, you know he understands where it started.)

Yes, it is all subjective. Steve Vai is an excellent technical player but he doesn't get the love of George Harrison because his bands have been terrible and quite frankly that is a reflection on his songwriting skills and style. However, as a technical player everyone I know who plays electric guitar (I don't) considers him an excellent player they envy.

Eddie Van Halen was a great guitar player and musician. As WIAF notes, he was also a genius guitar builder. However, he couldn't read music. How does a guy born into a musical family who played several instruments, including classical piano, not know how to read sheet music? It boggles the mind.

My list of top guitar players would have guys like Prince and Kurt Cobain or even Lindsay Buckingham on it over virtuosos like Stevie Ray Vaughn that you couldn't pay me to listen to but then that gets into style and songwriting skills which is why a guy like Vai isn't appreciated as much despite almost definitely being a better technical player than Cobain.

Yogi38
wifeisafurd said:

Cool Ice said:

Why is it that recently dead artists are alway better?
Why is it that you can't spell? You did go to college didn't you? Or are you one of those uneducated Trump voters?
Yogi38
dimitrig said:

Eddie Van Halen was a great guitar player and musician. As WIAF notes, he was also a genius guitar builder. However, he couldn't read music. How does a guy born into a musical family who played several instruments, including classical piano, not know how to read sheet music? It boggles the mind.
Because reading music is irrelevant for playing the guitar.
Yogi21
wifeisafurd said:

Cool Ice said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

wifeisafurd said:

Matthew Patel said:

chazzed said:

Matthew Patel said:

A) Ignorant as hell

https://media.giphy.com/media/xThta3L3cPrHwJZsL6/giphy.gif
Yogi, you stupid twit.

Can't actually articulate the issues with actual discussion points Yogi? Going through life as a fraud with fake names is really pathetic.
Nah, you're just so laughably wrong that it's obvious to all. Like most everything else you ever thought, said, or did.
bearister
Garou said:

dimitrig said:

7 Famous Musicians Who Can't Read MusicThe Music Studio

https://www.themusicstudio.ca/blog/2017/11/909/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
Garou said:

dimitrig said:

"How does a guy born into a musical family who played several instruments, including classical piano, not know how to read sheet music?

Yogi21
dimitrig said:

Garou said:

dimitrig said:

"How does a guy born into a musical family who played several instruments, including classical piano, not know how to read sheet music?
I guess he must not have had a typical piano teacher. Ask Stasys Kalvaitis.
wifeisafurd
Anarchistbear said:

Nice to see somebody that can provide an informed opinion, uncle Yogi. Full agreement on your comments. Hey Joe for those old enough to know. was the last song Hendrix performed at the Woodstock festival and as such, it was he final song of the whole festival. Most people feel the Hendrix's performance at the Monterrey Festival 2 year earlier may have been the greatest guitar performance every (including Hendrix burnins his guitar after Wild Thing).
Yogi38
wifeisafurd said:

Anarchistbear said:

Nice to see somebody that can provide an informed opinion, rather than shout out you are wrong and uniformed. Betts is particular favorite, and very under appreciated IMO.
Oh you stupid arrogant cvnt.

You really want to know all the stupid things you said?
Quote:

You stupidly said influential, and that is not how well did EVH play per se.
I said it on purpose, you stupid twat. Because I know more about practically every subject than you do. You are stupid on multiple levels.
Quote:

You need to read what I said more carefully. One of many things that a make you a stupid twit Yogi, is that if you talk to guitarist they talk about how he impacted how guitars were built, not really how he played technically.
Quote one you ignorant fsck. I fscking dare you to come up with anyone who says he didn't impact how the guitar was played.

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/steve-vai-remembers-eddie-van-halen/
Quote:

They will tell you that there are a lot of guitarists who can play WAY more technical things than EVH, starting with Hendricks. (EVH probably was better in providing entertainment value).
Literally how fscking dumb are you to not be able to spell Jimi Hendrix's name. Why should anyone take anybody seriously that makes such simple mistakes over and over? You must have been the worst CEQA lawyer in history.

Quote:

To be "the greatest" at something you have to be able to back up your claim with some objectively evaluable criteria. You are drooling over a guy whose music was limited to '80s hard rock guitar work.

Seriously, stop talking about subjects you know nothing about. The world will thank you for just shutting the fsck up forever.

Quote:

Pretty much every guy mentioned in The Rolling Stones top 25 lists would kick EVH's arse in a contest to play different styles.I l
I eagerly look forward to Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, and BB King showing us how simple it is to play Van Halen's style. I already showed you his versatility, which should have shut you up for eternity.
Quote:

The reason EVH didn't collaborate much was because he couldn't.

Quote:

I tried playing his stuff
Oh bullshyt you did. You never came close and you know it. I doubt you could even tell me what a standard tuning of a guitar is without looking it up.

Quote:

I didn't say he was the greatest, moron. I said he was the most influential, which he was.
Yogi38
wifeisafurd said:

BTW, EVA said Allan Holdsworth is the GOAT, and I can rest assured you have no freaking clue who that is you stupid twit.
https://www.facebook.com/AllanHoldsworthArchives/posts/1638919486281938
bearister
Jack White Gives a Nod to Eddie Van Halen in Crushing 'SNL' Set Variety

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/jack-white-saturday-night-live-eddie-van-halen-tribute-1234800297/
Anarchistbear
dimitrig said:

Anarchistbear said:

Yes, it is all subjective. Steve Vai is an excellent technical player but he doesn't get the love of George Harrison because his bands have been terrible and quite frankly that is a reflection on his songwriting skills and style. However, as a technical player everyone I know who plays electric guitar (I don't) considers him an excellent player they envy.

My list of top guitar players would have guys like Prince and Kurt Cobain or even Lindsay Buckingham on it over virtuosos like Stevie Ray Vaughn that you couldn't pay me to listen to but then that gets into style and songwriting skills which is why a guy like Vai isn't appreciated as much despite almost definitely being a better technical player than Cobain.

You ever see the old Walter Hill movie, Crossroads?. Kind of a re-enactment of the Robert Johnson story. Vai is prominently featured at the end dueling licks for the Devil's favor. Ry Coodet scored it.
bearister
dimitrig
Anarchistbear said:

dimitrig said:

Anarchistbear said:

You ever see the old Walter Hill movie, Crossroads?. Kind of a re-enactment of the Robert Johnson story. Vai is prominently featured at the end dueling licks for the Devil's favor. Ry Coodet scored it.

I had never seen nor heard of it until now, but you didn't mention that Vai's opponent in the duel is Ralph Macchio!

LOL!
bearister
B.A. Bearacus
chazzed
bearister said:

That group of musicians that the Stray Cats invited on stage is nuts.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.