SCOTUS CONFIRMATION HEARING

28,387 Views | 372 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearlyamazing said:

Dude, just stop. Brennan was confirmed after the election, not before. The elections were in '56 and '60. He was confirmed in '57 so quit depending on or misinterpreting your incorrect sourcing and including him in your argument.

As for McConnell's statement and Kennedy, I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

What about "filled a vacancy ARISING in an election year" isn't clear to you? When did the vacancy arise? In mid 1987. Was 1987 an election year? No, it wasn't. It was a year and a half ahead of the election. That fact doesn't get erased just because Reagan was forced to then put someone else forward after Bork.

You will find exactly zero examples of a vacancy arising and being filled in an election year when a president of the opposite party holding the majority in the senate is in power without going back to the 1800s.

Brennan was named to the U.S. Supreme Court through in 1956, shortly before the 1956 Presidential election. A Democrat Senate was in place before the election and also after. It later confirmed him. That it happened in 1957 is true, but immaterial. They could have blocked the appointment in 1956 and did not. That was tacit approval. The fact that they later voted to confirm 47-1 proves that. Do you think if Eisenhower had lost they would not have confirmed him? He was popular with the Democrats!

That is exactly one example.

In fact, that precedent should have been followed with Amy Coney Barrett. Trump could give her a recess appointment and then let the incoming Senate confirm her. However, Mitch doesn't want to take his chances on that.

As for Kennedy, sure the vacancy was not in an election year but the confirmation was. What is important is not that a vacancy arose in an election year but that a confirmation occurred when the opposite party had a chance to win the Presidency less than a year later. They could have sat on the confirmation like Mitch did but they didn't.

Mitch is just using wordplay and misdirection. What he said is all TECHNICALLY true, but is actually deceptive. It does not lend any creedence to his argument that it is common practice that Supreme Court justices are not appointed and confirmed when elections are looming if the opposite party holds the Senate. Thats just not true not matter how he twists the truth.

It has not been a common occurence since 1888 and when it has happened the President in power has had a justice of his choosing appointed and confirmed even if the opposite party held the Senate. That's all that really matters. The one time that didn't happen was with Garland. Mitch wasn't following a precedent. He set one. You know it. I know it.

I am done with this topic. Peace.

dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Supreme Court is an authoritarian institution staffed by the hacks of the two parties to do their bidding. The idea that our rights are surrendered to nine people with no accountability is astonishing enough but the idea that these old fogies are peeing into the 18th century mind to tell us what they think about corporate speech and gay wedding cakes is not only astonishing but a mind blowing surrender of individual freedom to autocracy.

The Court has always been reactionary and trampled more rights than they recognized. Although the Warren Court is heralded as the great facilitator of black equality, those rights were won in the street ( MLK) and by the people (LBJ)

Don't reform it. End or neuter it.
This is idiotic and a total misunderstanding of the role of the court. As I said elsewhere, without the Supreme Court as a back stop, the bill of rights becomes a mere suggestion that no one has to actually follow.

It is extremely annoying how stupid Americans are about their own government. Almost all of the things that the Supreme Court gets blamed for are not primarily their fault. They are laws that were passed by state or federal government.

The Supreme Court will never make abortion illegal. They only say whether or not the states can do that. If it were not for the Supreme Court, abortion would have been illegal in much of the country for decades.

The Supreme Court will never make gay marriage illegal. They only say whether or not the states can do that. If it were not for the Supreme Court, much of the country would not have gay marriage.

The Supreme Court never made segregation law of the land. For too long it did not stop states from making it the law of the land. The Supreme Court was the first branch of government to end segregation and it was years before the Civil Rights Act was then passed.

I may not be fond of the current view of Search and Seizure rules by the court, but they don't set the law. They set the floor. Without the court, many places would be far worse. Communities can on their own have rules and laws that are more protective than what the court provides, and many do. But they can't do worse than the court. The court does no harm.

The Court's role is to REVIEW LAWS THAT ARE PASSED BY CONGRESS/WHITE HOUSE OR THE STATES. In almost every case IT IS THOSE LAWS THAT ARE THE PROBLEM. The Supreme Court didn't create segregation. States did. The Supreme Court never made segregation the law of the land or made segregation worse. For a long time it did not overturn those laws, but it was the laws themselves that were the fundamental problem and the Supreme Court was the only avenue to overturn them.

As for the ACA, the Democrats could have expanded Medicare to cover everyone and the Supreme Court would have nothing to say about it. Because the hoops they jumped through to get moderates on board and the way they wanted to sell the ACA, they structured the law in a way that made it susceptible to Supreme Court review.

The Supreme Court basically upholds individual rights. In most cases, for those that care about individual rights would see the Supreme Court at worst does nothing and at best protects individual rights. In some cases, like Citizen's United, that may give you a result you don't like. I would gladly accept Citizen's United in exchange for all the protections the Supreme Court provides.

Nothing is won in the street. Ask Hong Kong or Tian An Men what is won in the street. It is won at the ballot box. It is won in the state legislatures and governors' houses. It is won in the Congress and the White House. And sometimes it is won in the Supreme Court. Marching around in the streets does nothing until those institutions decide to make a change. Frankly, if liberals were more interested in voting than running around yelling, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You're doing a lot of lawyering here but you sound like George Will defending the designated hitter out if some allegiance to the purity of the game

Supreme Court justices are vetted and selected based on party loyalty, who they clerked for, their decisions, etc. The idea that they are calling "balls and strikes" is naive. They have been acting as an extension of their party masters.

Was Bush vs Gore about the law? No it was about the candidates.

Was overturning case law in Citizens about the law? No it was allowing corporations to spend money in ways that undermine democracy. Whose interest is that? The constitution's?

When you say that the courts never made segregation worse do you think Plessy vs Ferguson didn't maintain and legitimize segregation? It set the country back 70 years. Wasn't the 14th amendment relevant then?

Whose balls? Whose strikes?
This is the problem of having people talking about stuff they don't know anything about. Like most internet mouthpieces, you laud or criticize the Court, according to our viewpoints, solely without understanding or reference to the Court's own history and the legal doctrine and decisions, the basis on which court decisions are more often than not based: federalism, substantive due process (and level of scrutiny), and the like.

Citizens United was a foregone conclusion when in 1978 a majority consisting primates of liberal justices decided money equals speech (the opinion was per curium, but was primarily written by Brennan according to insiders). There were several SCOTUS cases that followed this case; nevertheless, you don't like Citizens United since greedy corporations get rights, so it must not be based on legal principles. Whine as you may, when you go get your law degree instead of repeating Vox, you can play the game. Until then I suggest people read you for the primary purpose of finding out what names you can make-up, and leave views on what the Supreme Court does to posters like Oak. I'm reminded by someone positing a stupid Vox article that said SCOTUS was going to overrule Roe one week after Kavanaugh's nomination was approved. I wonder who posted that? The reality is the Roe decision of Justice Blackman doesn't exist today. It was basically overruled (other than in name only) in 1992 when Blackman's tri-semester balancing test was simply rejected and replaced with a different standard. Then came cases that said Congress could ban some types of abortion procedures, varying cases on what limits or restrictions state laws could place on abortion procedures. In fact, abortions can't be obtained in a good portion of the country, and even Planned Parenthood in its briefs admits that the number of abortions has plummeted due to birth control, education, etc. The reality is that SCOTUS rarely overturns any decision explicitly as Oak is trying to tell you. They just interpret the earlier rulings a lift differently, see what happens, and let society evolve. Look at the cases on gay marriage. It took several cases and a huge change in society's view of gay rights They rarely get out in front. Want to change things, win elections. The court is not designed to meet your political whims. That most cases are decide by huge majorities consisting of judges from different ideological backgrounds should tell you that, assuming you even knew that or had the grey matter to understand the significance of the same. Stick to inventing names

One thing I can't abide is the "you're not qualified to have this discussion" argument. I can't believe I am saying this, but when anarchist says the Supreme Court is made up of political hacks, he is generally correct. I know I'm not qualified to say that but my go-to source of information on the Supreme Court is constitutional law professor, Eric Segall (oh no, he is only a Professor at Georgia State - I guess he isn't qualified either).

Segall wrote the book, "Supreme Myths: Why the Supreme Court Is Not a Court and Its Justices Are Not Judges", making the argument that Supreme Court Judges are "politicians in robes" who essentially fabricate prior law reasoning to reach their personal conclusions. I know I'm not qualified, but that's essentially what I see happening.

Segall's solution is to greatly reduce the power of the Court by reducing it to 8 Justices with 4 appointed by each party. I don't think that is politically feasible so I just believe the Judicial balance should be in-line with the people. I support a 13 seat Supreme Court to balance things out.

https://law.gsu.edu/profile/eric-j-segall/

https://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Myths-Court-Justices-Judges/dp/0313396876
Go!Bears
OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Nothing is won in the street. Ask Hong Kong or Tian An Men what is won in the street. It is won at the ballot box. It is won in the state legislatures and governors' houses. It is won in the Congress and the White House. And sometimes it is won in the Supreme Court. Marching around in the streets does nothing until those institutions decide to make a change. Frankly, if liberals were more interested in voting than running around yelling, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Seriously? There are so many reasons you are wrong. Ask Czechs what was won in the streets, or Filipinos, Indians, or the French... the list is long and I believe includes Dr. King. I understand your affection for the court but believe it is misplaced. We have gotten lazy and allow our democracy to operate within the constraints the Court allows. Relying on the ballot box is futile. Our democracy has been rigged so a majority cannot win. Even with a victory at the ballot box, anti majoritarian institutions impede a popular will expressed In an election (filibuster, Electoral College)

There are countries who enjoy liberty without an all powerful court. They do not wait for crumbs to fall from the table of the elite, their legislature decides what will be. Ours does not. (See McCain-Feingold or the Voting Rights Act) We could be one of those countries. But we may have to go into the streets to get there. I think you have it backwards: "Marching around in the streets does nothing until those institutions decide to make a change." Those institutions won't change until there are people marching in the streets. I wish we could ask Dr. King what he thinks, though I think his actions give a hint.
I didn't say the court was responsible for everything or the court should be all powerful (the notion that it is in our country is moronic). Essentially I said nothing is won in the streets unless the government decides it is. I was referring to the United States. So to be clear, if people in the streets can overthrow their government, than things can be decided in the streets. Good luck with that in the United States.

MLK would agree with me. His movement was absolutely reliant on action in the courts and in lobbying voters and lobbying politicians. Marching in the streets is a tool and the point of that tool in America is to convince the levers of Democracy to change. If you march around and don't vote and don't lobby and don't get the government to agree with you, marching is useless. And too many of the people marching in the streets do not do a modicum of what is necessary on the political side of things to actually effectuate change. Marching is easy bullshyte if you don't follow up. No one cares if you are mad.

Demonstration works best when the country is either ill informed about an injustice or is finally ready to address it. Yes, the Civil Rights movement, WITH THE APPROPRIATE POLITICAL FOLLOW THROUGH, was a useful TOOL to get the government to change the laws. (Make no mistake, though Brown was a huge influence brought about by 9 people in 1954 before the Civil Rights movement was making any inroads). Divestiture in the 80's was a good example of awareness. On the flip side, Anti-war protests were going on for years and mainly had an impact when people were just tired of the war. The Occupy movement who specifically refused to back any politician or put up their own candidates were completely useless.

Conservatives through the Tea Party and otherwise have put in place an electoral system where the Democrats have to win by like 5% to actually hold office. They didn't do that by marching. They did that by running to control school boards and town councils that no one cared about. By running for state legislatures and redrawing district lines. That is how our political system works.

I would also point out that BLM has to date done nothing tangible. Now, it is a process, and the movement has a chance to make change, but until that happens at the ballot box and laws are passed, the marching has not accomplished anything.

The government is not going to be overthrown by violence like in France, or by people taking advantage of a crumbling Soviet system to kick out politicians who were half way out the door. We have a stable political system. That isn't changing. There is a clear way to work in that system. March if you feel like it, but frankly, 95% of liberal marching and yelling is nothing but an emotional release signifying nothing. Until the left realizes that they need to make change in every political venue, from city to federal, the marching is useless

And you know what? Liberals have been far to complacent relying on the Supreme Court to fix everything. If you want abortion to be legal, you don't need to ask the court to make it so. You can vote. Abortion will never be illegal if laws are not passed making it illegal.
"Nothing is won in the street. Ask Hong Kong or Tian An Men what is won in the street." "I was referring to the United States." I am sure there is some insulting hyperbolic characterization I could make about that, but I am not sure how that improves the discussion, so I will resist the temptation.

Of course there is a difference between the dynamic in a democratic as opposed to an authoritarian context. You were the one who placed it in an authoritarian context, but let's talk about the democratic context. First, Dr. King did not start in the courts, or the Congress and that is not what he was doing at the end, in Memphis. There is a reason John Lewis kept returning to the Edmund Pettus bridge, even long after he became a leading figure in Congress. Congress and the legislative process needs a push for big change and that push often comes first from the street. Check the polling on public support for policies to address systemic racism. Do you really think that shift happens without people in the streets? Louisville's termination of no-knock warrants. There was no election that intervened to bring that change. And let's talk about France. You seem to think I meant 1789. No, I was referring to the Gilets-Jaunes. They went into the streets and the President of France backed down.

No one, except you, is talking about over-throwing the government. I am talking about pushing the current 'minoritarian' government to recognize the will of the majority. Our current institutions do not allow majority rule and so reliance on the ballot box will not be enough. Peaceful protest is a catalyst for change that I think could be used more frequently and to greater effect.

You want to talk about the power of the Supreme Court? Well, if I could get Furd's permission... I would be happy to.

Go!Bears
OaktownBear said:

If the Supreme Court doesn't have the power of judicial review, you can kiss freedom of speech, search and seizure, civil rights, freedom of religion, gay marriage, all of it, good bye. This is not George Will bullshyte. That is our system. Not understanding the protection the Supreme Court affords is effing ignorant
The British system does not have a court that can over-turn Parliament, yet they have those things. The German Court, the French Court, they have no where near the power of our court, yet they have those things. We could have a different system.
wifeisafurd
Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Seriously? There are so many reasons you are wrong. Ask Czechs what was won in the streets, or Filipinos, Indians, or the French... the list is long and I believe includes Dr. King. I understand your affection for the court but believe it is misplaced. We have gotten lazy and allow our democracy to operate within the constraints the Court allows. Relying on the ballot box is futile. Our democracy has been rigged so a majority cannot win. Even with a victory at the ballot box, anti majoritarian institutions impede a popular will expressed In an election (filibuster, Electoral College)

There are countries who enjoy liberty without an all powerful court. They do not wait for crumbs to fall from the table of the elite, their legislature decides what will be. Ours does not. (See McCain-Feingold or the Voting Rights Act) We could be one of those countries. But we may have to go into the streets to get there. I think you have it backwards: "Marching around in the streets does nothing until those institutions decide to make a change." Those institutions won't change until there are people marching in the streets. I wish we could ask Dr. King what he thinks, though I think his actions give a hint.
I didn't say the court was responsible for everything or the court should be all powerful (the notion that it is in our country is moronic). Essentially I said nothing is won in the streets unless the government decides it is. I was referring to the United States. So to be clear, if people in the streets can overthrow their government, than things can be decided in the streets. Good luck with that in the United States.

MLK would agree with me. His movement was absolutely reliant on action in the courts and in lobbying voters and lobbying politicians. Marching in the streets is a tool and the point of that tool in America is to convince the levers of Democracy to change. If you march around and don't vote and don't lobby and don't get the government to agree with you, marching is useless. And too many of the people marching in the streets do not do a modicum of what is necessary on the political side of things to actually effectuate change. Marching is easy bullshyte if you don't follow up. No one cares if you are mad.

Demonstration works best when the country is either ill informed about an injustice or is finally ready to address it. Yes, the Civil Rights movement, WITH THE APPROPRIATE POLITICAL FOLLOW THROUGH, was a useful TOOL to get the government to change the laws. (Make no mistake, though Brown was a huge influence brought about by 9 people in 1954 before the Civil Rights movement was making any inroads). Divestiture in the 80's was a good example of awareness. On the flip side, Anti-war protests were going on for years and mainly had an impact when people were just tired of the war. The Occupy movement who specifically refused to back any politician or put up their own candidates were completely useless.

Conservatives through the Tea Party and otherwise have put in place an electoral system where the Democrats have to win by like 5% to actually hold office. They didn't do that by marching. They did that by running to control school boards and town councils that no one cared about. By running for state legislatures and redrawing district lines. That is how our political system works.

I would also point out that BLM has to date done nothing tangible. Now, it is a process, and the movement has a chance to make change, but until that happens at the ballot box and laws are passed, the marching has not accomplished anything.

The government is not going to be overthrown by violence like in France, or by people taking advantage of a crumbling Soviet system to kick out politicians who were half way out the door. We have a stable political system. That isn't changing. There is a clear way to work in that system. March if you feel like it, but frankly, 95% of liberal marching and yelling is nothing but an emotional release signifying nothing. Until the left realizes that they need to make change in every political venue, from city to federal, the marching is useless

And you know what? Liberals have been far to complacent relying on the Supreme Court to fix everything. If you want abortion to be legal, you don't need to ask the court to make it so. You can vote. Abortion will never be illegal if laws are not passed making it illegal.
"Nothing is won in the street. Ask Hong Kong or Tian An Men what is won in the street." "I was referring to the United States." I am sure there is some insulting hyperbolic characterization I could make about that, but I am not sure how that improves the discussion, so I will resist the temptation.

Of course there is a difference between the dynamic in a democratic as opposed to an authoritarian context. You were the one who placed it in an authoritarian context, but let's talk about the democratic context. First, Dr. King did not start in the courts, or the Congress and that is not what he was doing at the end, in Memphis. There is a reason John Lewis kept returning to the Edmund Pettus bridge, even long after he became a leading figure in Congress. Congress and the legislative process needs a push for big change and that push often comes first from the street. Check the polling on public support for policies to address systemic racism. Do you really think that shift happens without people in the streets? Louisville's termination of no-knock warrants. There was no election that intervened to bring that change. And let's talk about France. You seem to think I meant 1789. No, I was referring to the Gilets-Jaunes. They went into the streets and the President of France backed down.

No one, except you, is talking about over-throwing the government. I am talking about pushing the current 'minoritarian' government to recognize the will of the majority. Our current institutions do not allow majority rule and so reliance on the ballot box will not be enough. Peaceful protest is a catalyst for change that I think could be used more frequently and to greater effect.

You want to talk about the power of the Supreme Court? Well, if I could get Furd's permission... I would be happy to.

Oak did a very good summary of how the Supreme Court operates and its limitations. If the nut jobs here want to make wild comments about how the Court will change based on their non-understanding of how the Court works, they are welcome to provide their uninformed comments, but realize they are discounted by any of us who went to law school. As for some rumination of a random law professor or Salon or Vox authors, it is reminiscent of the few scientists who claims there is no global warming. The legal community actually gets how SCOTUS operates. Sure the court listens to the tone of the public, but they still limit their authority and case analysis is based on established precedent. And the rarely, directly overturn prior precedence. Again, almost all SCOTUS decisions are with vast majorities that include judges nominated by Presidents of both parties. The nut jobs don't get any of that.

Other note: apologies to Anarchist, I thought I was responding too Yogi. Ignore the quips re: picking names. I often find myself agreeing with your points, though not here.
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

The Supreme Court is an authoritarian institution staffed by the hacks of the two parties to do their bidding. The idea that our rights are surrendered to nine people with no accountability is astonishing enough but the idea that these old fogies are peeing into the 18th century mind to tell us what they think about corporate speech and gay wedding cakes is not only astonishing but a mind blowing surrender of individual freedom to autocracy.

The Court has always been reactionary and trampled more rights than they recognized. Although the Warren Court is heralded as the great facilitator of black equality, those rights were won in the street ( MLK) and by the people (LBJ)

This is idiotic and a total misunderstanding of the role of the court. As I said elsewhere, without the Supreme Court as a back stop, the bill of rights becomes a mere suggestion that no one has to actually follow.

It is extremely annoying how stupid Americans are about their own government. Almost all of the things that the Supreme Court gets blamed for are not primarily their fault. They are laws that were passed by state or federal government.

The Supreme Court will never make abortion illegal. They only say whether or not the states can do that. If it were not for the Supreme Court, abortion would have been illegal in much of the country for decades.

The Supreme Court will never make gay marriage illegal. They only say whether or not the states can do that. If it were not for the Supreme Court, much of the country would not have gay marriage.

The Supreme Court never made segregation law of the land. For too long it did not stop states from making it the law of the land. The Supreme Court was the first branch of government to end segregation and it was years before the Civil Rights Act was then passed.

I may not be fond of the current view of Search and Seizure rules by the court, but they don't set the law. They set the floor. Without the court, many places would be far worse. Communities can on their own have rules and laws that are more protective than what the court provides, and many do. But they can't do worse than the court. The court does no harm.

The Court's role is to REVIEW LAWS THAT ARE PASSED BY CONGRESS/WHITE HOUSE OR THE STATES. In almost every case IT IS THOSE LAWS THAT ARE THE PROBLEM. The Supreme Court didn't create segregation. States did. The Supreme Court never made segregation the law of the land or made segregation worse. For a long time it did not overturn those laws, but it was the laws themselves that were the fundamental problem and the Supreme Court was the only avenue to overturn them.

As for the ACA, the Democrats could have expanded Medicare to cover everyone and the Supreme Court would have nothing to say about it. Because the hoops they jumped through to get moderates on board and the way they wanted to sell the ACA, they structured the law in a way that made it susceptible to Supreme Court review.

The Supreme Court basically upholds individual rights. In most cases, for those that care about individual rights would see the Supreme Court at worst does nothing and at best protects individual rights. In some cases, like Citizen's United, that may give you a result you don't like. I would gladly accept Citizen's United in exchange for all the protections the Supreme Court provides.

You're doing a lot of lawyering here but you sound like George Will defending the designated hitter out if some allegiance to the purity of the game

Supreme Court justices are vetted and selected based on party loyalty, who they clerked for, their decisions, etc. The idea that they are calling "balls and strikes" is naive. They have been acting as an extension of their party masters.

Was overturning case law in Citizens about the law? No it was allowing corporations to spend money in ways that undermine democracy. Whose interest is that? The constitution's?

When you say that the courts never made segregation worse do you think Plessy vs Ferguson didn't maintain and legitimize segregation? It set the country back 70 years. Wasn't the 14th amendment relevant then?

This is the problem of having people talking about stuff they don't know anything about. Like most internet mouthpieces, you laud or criticize the Court, according to our viewpoints, solely without understanding or reference to the Court's own history and the legal doctrine and decisions, the basis on which court decisions are more often than not based: federalism, substantive due process (and level of scrutiny), and the like.

Citizens United was a foregone conclusion when in 1978 a majority consisting primates of liberal justices decided money equals speech (the opinion was per curium, but was primarily written by Brennan according to insiders). There were several SCOTUS cases that followed this case; nevertheless, you don't like Citizens United since greedy corporations get rights, so it must not be based on legal principles. Whine as you may, when you go get your law degree instead of repeating Vox, you can play the game. Until then I suggest people read you for the primary purpose of finding out what names you can make-up, and leave views on what the Supreme Court does to posters like Oak. I'm reminded by someone positing a stupid Vox article that said SCOTUS was going to overrule Roe one week after Kavanaugh's nomination was approved. I wonder who posted that? The reality is the Roe decision of Justice Blackman doesn't exist today. It was basically overruled (other than in name only) in 1992 when Blackman's tri-semester balancing test was simply rejected and replaced with a different standard. Then came cases that said Congress could ban some types of abortion procedures, varying cases on what limits or restrictions state laws could place on abortion procedures. In fact, abortions can't be obtained in a good portion of the country, and even Planned Parenthood in its briefs admits that the number of abortions has plummeted due to birth control, education, etc. The reality is that SCOTUS rarely overturns any decision explicitly as Oak is trying to tell you. They just interpret the earlier rulings a lift differently, see what happens, and let society evolve. Look at the cases on gay marriage. It took several cases and a huge change in society's view of gay rights They rarely get out in front. Want to change things, win elections. The court is not designed to meet your political whims. That most cases are decide by huge majorities consisting of judges from different ideological backgrounds should tell you that, assuming you even knew that or had the grey matter to understand the significance of the same. Stick to inventing names

One thing I can't abide is the "you're not qualified to have this discussion" argument. I can't believe I am saying this, but when anarchist says the Supreme Court is made up of political hacks, he is generally correct. I know I'm not qualified to say that but my go-to source of information on the Supreme Court is constitutional law professor, Eric Segall (oh no, he is only a Professor at Georgia State - I guess he isn't qualified either).

Segall wrote the book, "Supreme Myths: Why the Supreme Court Is Not a Court and Its Justices Are Not Judges", making the argument that Supreme Court Judges are "politicians in robes" who essentially fabricate prior law reasoning to reach their personal conclusions. I know I'm not qualified, but that's essentially what I see happening.

Segall's solution is to greatly reduce the power of the Court by reducing it to 8 Justices with 4 appointed by each party. I don't think that is politically feasible so I just believe the Judicial balance should be in-line with the people. I support a 13 seat Supreme Court to balance things out.

see my comment above.
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

As for some rumination of a random law professor or Salon or Vox authors, it is reminiscent of the few scientists who claims there is no global warming.
None of us are qualified unless we agree with WIAF

Eric Segall - https://law.gsu.edu/profile/eric-j-segall/
Quote:

His articles on constitutional law have appeared in, among others, the Harvard Law Review Forum, the Stanford Law Review On Line, the UCLA Law Review, the George Washington Law Review, the Washington University Law Review, the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, the Northwestern University Law Review Colloquy, and Constitutional Commentary among many others.
Segall also frequently writes on the website dorfonlaw.org hosted by Cornell law professor Michael Dorf
https://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/faculty/bio_michael_dorf.cfm
Quote:

A graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School, Professor Dorf . . . After law school, he served as a law clerk for Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and then for Justice Anthony M. Kennedy of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Also Cornell law professor Sherry Colb
https://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/faculty/bio_sherry_colb.cfm
Quote:

She clerked for Judge Wilfred Feinberg of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and for Associate Justice Harry A. Blackmun of the United States Supreme Court.
Despite your career in law, all these people are eminently more qualified than you to discuss the topic of the Supreme Court
Anarchistbear
OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

You simply do not understand how the court works and it's place in the system. I never said they aren't political or they don't make bad decisions. I never said they shouldn't be criticized. I said they are in the position of either validating or overturning laws. If the law doesn't exist the court has nothing to uphold.

Plessy was a terrible decision. Please explain how you think it set things back 70 years. It did not create new law. It upheld the status quo. If there was no court with any power as you are suggesting the law would have been the same. The court didn't make the law. It incorrectly failed to strike it down. And then in 1954, long before anyone else acted, it struck it down.

If the Supreme Court doesn't have the power of judicial review, you can kiss freedom of speech, search and seizure, civil rights, freedom of religion, gay marriage, all of it, good bye. This is not George Will bullshyte. That is our system. Not understanding the protection the Supreme Court affords is effing ignorant

Plessy took an obscure local law and enshrined separate but equal as Constitutional. Consequently it spread to all aspects of African American life- schools, restaurants, swimming pools, transport, etc. in an entire region of the country It also gave Congress an excuse to not be further involved. So, yes, no SCOTUS would have been preferable for African Americans.
bearlyamazing
dimitrig said:

bearlyamazing said:

Dude, just stop. Brennan was confirmed after the election, not before. The elections were in '56 and '60. He was confirmed in '57 so quit depending on or misinterpreting your incorrect sourcing and including him in your argument.

As for McConnell's statement and Kennedy, I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

What about "filled a vacancy ARISING in an election year" isn't clear to you? When did the vacancy arise? In mid 1987. Was 1987 an election year? No, it wasn't. It was a year and a half ahead of the election. That fact doesn't get erased just because Reagan was forced to then put someone else forward after Bork.

You will find exactly zero examples of a vacancy arising and being filled in an election year when a president of the opposite party holding the majority in the senate is in power without going back to the 1800s.

Brennan was named to the U.S. Supreme Court through in 1956, shortly before the 1956 Presidential election. A Democrat Senate was in place before the election and also after. It later confirmed him. That it happened in 1957 is true, but immaterial. They could have blocked the appointment in 1956 and did not. That was tacit approval. The fact that they later voted to confirm 47-1 proves that. Do you think if Eisenhower had lost they would not have confirmed him? He was popular with the Democrats!

That is exactly one example.

In fact, that precedent should have been followed with Amy Coney Barrett. Trump could give her a recess appointment and then let the incoming Senate confirm her. However, Mitch doesn't want to take his chances on that.

As for Kennedy, sure the vacancy was not in an election year but the confirmation was. What is important is not that a vacancy arose in an election year but that a confirmation occurred when the opposite party had a chance to win the Presidency less than a year later. They could have sat on the confirmation like Mitch did but they didn't.

Mitch is just using wordplay and misdirection. What he said is all TECHNICALLY true, but is actually deceptive. It does not lend any creedence to his argument that it is common practice that Supreme Court justices are not appointed and confirmed when elections are looming if the opposite party holds the Senate. Thats just not true not matter how he twists the truth.

It has not been a common occurence since 1888 and when it has happened the President in power has had a justice of his choosing appointed and confirmed even if the opposite party held the Senate. That's all that really matters. The one time that didn't happen was with Garland. Mitch wasn't following a precedent. He set one. You know it. I know it.

I am done with this topic. Peace.

I'm glad you're done with it because every additional response is just wrong. You've went from saying McConnell's a liar over and over again, to saying he's twisting the truth when your case against him is that dems didn't try and hold a supreme court vacancy open from Powell's retirement in June '87 till March of '89, which is likely the earliest the new president could get someone confirmed. That's nearly two years. It's an apples and oranges situation to Garland's and has zero precedent. The seat opened 8 months earlier than Scalia's seat. As for Brennan's original appointment in '56, it was a recess appointment. The dems couldn't have blocked it. They only could've blocked it when he was renominated in '57 after the election. You can't call that precedent. It was the exception.

130 years and not once has a president from a party other than the senate majority nominated a supreme court justice in an election year and seen them approved. Not once.

When the president of the same party as the one who controls the senate has nominated a supreme court justice in an election year in the past, 8 of 9 times they were confirmed.

Facts are facts and precedents are precedents, inconvenient though they may be. Schumer's crying that this is the darkest day in the history of the senate is laughable.
Yogi48
dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

All this hypocritical, self-righteous democratic and leftist caterwauling is classic.

Does anyone with a shred of objectivity think for a millisecond the dems wouldn't have added their own nominee to replace both justices, just like the republicans did?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b462d92ef167acfbc27f97a3b278fe86/tenor.gif?itemid=16967331
To me that isn't the issue. The issue is the Supreme Court has now been constructed by minority governance to impose their will on the American people for the next 30 years. Tyranny of the minority. The Constitution has checks and balances and one of the checks against the Supreme Court is that Congress gets to "ordain and establish" it.

Government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

But the Supreme Court is for a lifetime and the makeup of the Congress changes over time. Seems like a big flaw in the "by the people, for the people" rule. Why not just have an equal number of right/left judges and one libertarian/centrist continually?
Part of the issue there is that the definitions of "right/left" change over time. And for a lifetime appointment that could be an issue.

But I think there is a good argument for term limits on SCOTUS. Lifetime appointments clearly can become political deathmatches, but if you know you're getting regular turnover on the court then it's not so much.
I think the best solution would be 9 Judges with 18 year terms. A President picks a new Justice every 2 years. We also need to add states like Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. to eliminate the Senate imbalance with the people. Would be good to break California in two also - dare to dream.

But since term limits would require a Constitutional amendment, I think we should just have a 13 Justice Supreme Court. Easiest way to rebalance the Court with the American people.
I think you're a typical Democratic Party moron who, per usual, doesn't see the long term consequences of what would be a stupid decision.

What the Dems need to do over the next four years is win the Senate majority and then pull every dirty trick in the book to confirm as many judgess that identify with their social agenda (because the corporate agenda is the same for both parties) and find a way to fsck the Republicans very very hard on everything they care about. Don't be a pvssy like Obama and look for some consensus that isn't there.

The Republicans took their opportunity, played dirty, and won both times because they figured there would be no long-term consequences. Packing the Court starts a very slippery slope where the Court gets even more politicized than it already is and the Dems aren't going to have the Senate and President every four years. Take the opportunity you're gonna have over the next two years and fsck them hard in other areas. Maybe they get lucky and a spot unexpectedly comes available in the next 2-4 years.
You're attacking me for not playing hardball - except for the area where I want to play hardball. Consistency, my friend. Consistency.
Because you're too stupid to see that expanding the Court means that someday when the Republicans are able to do it, they'll do the same exact thing. The other stuff is different. In all the time that the Republicans have tried to change the court, that's one piece of escalation they hadn't tried. If they do that, it'll come back to bite them later just like other things they have done that sounded good in the short term, but punished them later.

Expanding the court is a can of worms that sounds good in the short term, but probably is not a good long-term plan.
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

As for some rumination of a random law professor or Salon or Vox authors, it is reminiscent of the few scientists who claims there is no global warming.

Quote:

His articles on constitutional law have appeared in, among others, the Harvard Law Review Forum, the Stanford Law Review On Line, the UCLA Law Review, the George Washington Law Review, the Washington University Law Review, the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, the Northwestern University Law Review Colloquy, and Constitutional Commentary among many others.
Segall also frequently writes on the website dorfonlaw.org hosted by Cornell law professor Michael Dorf
Quote:

A graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School, Professor Dorf . . . After law school, he served as a law clerk for Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and then for Justice Anthony M. Kennedy of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Quote:

She clerked for Judge Wilfred Feinberg of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and for Associate Justice Harry A. Blackmun of the United States Supreme Court.
Despite your career in law, all these people are eminently more qualified than you to discuss the topic of the Supreme Court
so how is that overturn of Roe by the Kavanaugh cut doing for you?
dajo9
Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

All this hypocritical, self-righteous democratic and leftist caterwauling is classic.

Does anyone with a shred of objectivity think for a millisecond the dems wouldn't have added their own nominee to replace both justices, just like the republicans did?

To me that isn't the issue. The issue is the Supreme Court has now been constructed by minority governance to impose their will on the American people for the next 30 years. Tyranny of the minority. The Constitution has checks and balances and one of the checks against the Supreme Court is that Congress gets to "ordain and establish" it.

But the Supreme Court is for a lifetime and the makeup of the Congress changes over time. Seems like a big flaw in the "by the people, for the people" rule. Why not just have an equal number of right/left judges and one libertarian/centrist continually?
Part of the issue there is that the definitions of "right/left" change over time. And for a lifetime appointment that could be an issue.

But I think there is a good argument for term limits on SCOTUS. Lifetime appointments clearly can become political deathmatches, but if you know you're getting regular turnover on the court then it's not so much.
I think the best solution would be 9 Judges with 18 year terms. A President picks a new Justice every 2 years. We also need to add states like Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. to eliminate the Senate imbalance with the people. Would be good to break California in two also - dare to dream.

But since term limits would require a Constitutional amendment, I think we should just have a 13 Justice Supreme Court. Easiest way to rebalance the Court with the American people.
I think you're a typical Democratic Party moron who, per usual, doesn't see the long term consequences of what would be a stupid decision.

What the Dems need to do over the next four years is win the Senate majority and then pull every dirty trick in the book to confirm as many judgess that identify with their social agenda (because the corporate agenda is the same for both parties) and find a way to fsck the Republicans very very hard on everything they care about. Don't be a pvssy like Obama and look for some consensus that isn't there.

The Republicans took their opportunity, played dirty, and won both times because they figured there would be no long-term consequences. Packing the Court starts a very slippery slope where the Court gets even more politicized than it already is and the Dems aren't going to have the Senate and President every four years. Take the opportunity you're gonna have over the next two years and fsck them hard in other areas. Maybe they get lucky and a spot unexpectedly comes available in the next 2-4 years.
You're attacking me for not playing hardball - except for the area where I want to play hardball. Consistency, my friend. Consistency.
Because you're too stupid to see that expanding the Court means that someday when the Republicans are able to do it, they'll do the same exact thing. The other stuff is different. In all the time that the Republicans have tried to change the court, that's one piece of escalation they hadn't tried. If they do that, it'll come back to bite them later just like other things they have done that sounded good in the short term, but punished them later.

Expanding the court is a can of worms that sounds good in the short term, but probably is not a good long-term plan.
The current version of the Republican Party is dying off. The worst Democratic map here still gets them 208 electoral college votes. The worst map for the Republicans gets them 21 electoral college votes - and that group will be an increasing share of the vote every year for a long time.
BearlyCareAnymore
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

I don't see this as a matter of being qualified. Frankly, it is frustrating to some of us, yes probably mostly lawyers, that Americans ignore or forget what is taught in any high school civics class.

You guys seem to think I'm speaking out of a deep reverence for the Supreme Court. I'm not. Any remaining shreds of that I might have had, and they were few, believe me, went out the window with Bush v. Gore. (I have no doubt if the fact pattern was flipped in that case that George Bush would have won by the exact same vote). If people think we go to law school and are taught that the sun shines out of every orifice of the Supreme Court, that is not correct.

The Supreme Court absolutely is a political body made up of political actors. Now, 1. Most cases are not very political and 2. I do believe that they have more personal restraint on their politics then a President or legislator. But yes, they make political decisions. Sometimes extremely political decisions.

My point here is not reverence for the court. It is quite simply that people do not seem to understand procedurally where the court fits in the process. For the sake of my argument, you could have 9 of the most nakedly political people on the court. They do not make laws. They do not EVER infringe on the rights of an individual. Not because they are good and pure. Because they can't. The Supreme Court quite simply interprets laws for constitutionality. The Supreme Court can be complicit in abridging rights, but they cannot do it without another government entity passing laws to abridge those rights.

In a nutshell the Supreme Court:

1. Reviews federal, state and local laws to determine whether they unconstitutionally infringe on individual rights that are embodied in the constitution.
2. Review federal laws to determine whether they are within the limited powers defined in the Constitution with respect to the states
3. Review state laws to determine whether they are interfering with powers given to the federal government by the Constitution. (and within this, whether those state laws conflict with federal law)

That is about 99% of it. So in the area of free speech, for instance, no Supreme Court decision by itself limits speech. A law is passed, normally by a state or local government that seeks to restrict speech in some way. Somebody sues and takes it up to the Supreme Court. The court either rules 1. It is an impermissible restriction and the Court has protected speech. or 2. It is permissible and the law stands. In the second case, the members of that community are free to repeal the law. No other community has to adopt that law. The court didn't make the law. The court only says whether somebody can or cannot make that law. We may think they should have said they cannot. But the bottom line is, the court's only role in that case is to either provide more free speech protection than the law at issue, or to provide the same protection as the law at issue. That is what I mean when I say in many cases they do no harm. You could have 9 Hitlers on the Supreme Court, and in that case they could do no harm. That is most cases that involve individual rights.

Then there are other issues where we may not like the results but it doesn't make it an incorrect decision. Citizen's United is a good example. I think as law, that is a disaster. But WIAF is probably right. Constitutionally it is probably the right decision even if I don't like the effect. And honestly, if you went through the elements and thought about other things it might apply to, you very well might agree that you wouldn't trade the restrictions on your speech that you would have to accept in other cases to get the result you want in Citizens United. Had the founding fathers wanted to limit speech with respect to elections, they could have written that into the first amendment. Had they wanted to limit the speech of groups or associations (which would be a terrible idea) they could have put that in as well. If we now want to limit speech with respect to elections we can do so by passing an amendment. There is a process for that. It is hard, I know (and the founding fathers could have made it easier, but they didn't). The fact that we can't get the votes do make that exception is not the fault of the Supreme Court. There are many things I would change in the Constitution if I could (I think that state and local governments not having the free reign to regulate weapons as the community sees fit is a horrible idea, but if I'm on the court my response is, nothing I can do about it. Go get an amendment).

It is a constant that people yell at the Supreme Court for not striking down stupid laws that federal and state governments pass when the federal and state government had every right to pass the stupid law. The court does not opine on the wisdom of the law, merely the right of the government to pass it. If you don't like the ACA, blame Obama. Not the court if they uphold the ACA.

And there is so much expansion of individual rights that the court is entirely responsible for in interpreting the Bill of Rights. Our entire right to freedom of speech has been created by the court. The first amendment means virtually nothing without the court's interpretation. In fact, in the early days of our country many interpreted the first amendment as merely a restriction on prior restraint of speech. In other words, the government could not stop you from saying whatever you want, but once you said it, the government could arrest you for saying it. The court said no, that would have a chilling impact on speech. That may seem obvious now, but it wasn't until the court said it was. There is no law explaining what free speech rights we have. It could have easily been limited to only political speech. It could easily have been limited by whether it enhances discourse (so "Trump/Obama is a dumbass" wouldn't be protected). There is no reason the government could not have been able to regulate movies or television. The restrictions on the government are all developed by the court from the words "Congress shall make no laws abridging the freedom of speech". Oh yeah, and they could have limited it to the federal government and let the states do what they want. Today, you can walk through the LA County courthouse with a jacket that says "******* the Draft" because the court said you can and for no other reason. That is all on the court.

Miranda rights and the requirement you be read them are an invention of the court interpreted out of the Bill of Rights. (and by the way, in the UK, the rights they are read say something like "you don't have to answer any question but if you don't your failure to answer such question can be used against you at trial". The fact that ours differs substantially from that is all the Supreme Court)

It used to be common practice in America when somebody came to the police station and said "A Black guy mugged me" to go and round up every Black guy in the town or neighborhood and interrogate them, often enhanced, until someone confessed. The Court is the one that interpreted that out of the Bill of Rights.

Let me be straight here. If you are a liberal, you should love the Supreme Court. Not necessarily the current makeup of the Supreme Court. Not every decision they make. And no not their politics. Yes, the Supreme Court is generally more little c conservative. But in the large majority of their cases, they have 2 options, be more liberal than the law they are reviewing or be as conservative as the law they are reviewing. Yes, there are cases, like affirmative action, or Citizens United, where they have the ability to strike down something liberals like. But in most cases that liberals care about they are in a position to either strike down a law that may be infringing individual rights or leave the state to do what it wants.

Same sex marriage is a perfect example. The movement was lobbying states one by one to pass laws legalizing it. The Supreme Court never would have overturned one of those laws because it had no ability to do so. However, the movement did get the court to overturn laws restricting same sex marriage. That gave that right in many states that would never have given that right. Had the court held the other way, the only result was going to be that the movement went back to lobbying states one by one. The Supreme Court was a no lose situation for same sex marriage.

There are just exceptionally few occasions where liberal positions are struck down by the court because liberal policies are rarely constitutionally questionable, and if they are, they can normally be fixed.

This is basically like saying "I want a big shield and if I can't get it, screw the smaller shield, I'll take no shield". The court is a shield against the arrows shot at us by our government. The politics of the court determines how big the shield is. While we most certainly can criticize the size of the shield, we always need to understand that the problem is the arrows, not the shield. And throwing down the shield is not the solution.

BearlyCareAnymore
Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

It is only not the right plan if you trust the other side not to do it when they need to. If you think the other side will do it, you do it when you have a chance. IMO, the Republicans absolutely will do it when it suits them. I also don't think the Republicans will take all three of President, House, and Senate again anytime soon.

Unwritten rules don't get followed. If the political calculation is that the voters won't be mad if you do it, do it. If you think it will bite you, don't. it is that simple at this point.

To that end, I've said, see what the public thinks about adding two on the argument that the Republicans started this with Garland and you are just correcting that wrong. Adding 4 is probably a political overreach.
dajo9
OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

It is only not the right plan if you trust the other side not to do it when they need to. If you think the other side will do it, you do it when you have a chance. IMO, the Republicans absolutely will do it when it suits them. I also don't think the Republicans will take all three of President, House, and Senate again anytime soon.

Unwritten rules don't get followed. If the political calculation is that the voters won't be mad if you do it, do it. If you think it will bite you, don't. it is that simple at this point.

To that end, I've said, see what the public thinks about adding two on the argument that the Republicans started this with Garland and you are just correcting that wrong. Adding 4 is probably a political overreach.
I think you are correct that if the Democrats do balance the Court (longshot considering how timid they usually are) they will only add 2 (because that would be the more timid approach). I think they should add 4.

The first thing to do would be add 2 states and 4 Senators so we don't have to rely on faux Democrats like Manchin.

I think you only get one shot at the apple. The Democrats will take the same Republican Fox News attack whether they add 2 or 4 or 10. At least by adding 4, they are balancing the Court with the people (7-6) and protecting individual rights for a generation.
wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

By the way, 10,000 plus law review articles saying what Oak said are wrong. You are the scientist that disagrees there is global warming.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

Pack the court - lose the Senate. Long term demographic changes suggest if the Dems are patient, it won't matter. Also, I think people will realize that even with the present court, very little of what the Dems pass will be knocked out. There is huge deference at the SCOTUS level to the other branches of govermment Why waste the political capital?
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Go!Bears said:

OaktownBear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

By the way, 10,000 plus law review articles saying what Oak said are wrong. You are the scientist that disagrees there is global warming.
1. I'm not sure what you are referencing with your Kavanaugh comment

2. OaktownBear agrees with me
Quote:

The Supreme Court absolutely is a political body made up of political actors.
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

Pack the court - lose the Senate. Long term demographic changes suggest if the Dems are patient, it won't matter. Also, I think people will realize that even with the present court, very little of what the Dems pass will be knocked out. There is huge deference at the SCOTUS level to the other branches of govermment Why waste the political capital?
The 2022 Senate map is actually very favorable to Democrats. There is maybe 1 vulnerable Democrat (more if Dems win in Arizona and Georgia this year). OTOH, Republicans will have to defend 5 seats (more if they win in Arizona and Georgia this year).

Add 4 Democratic seats with Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. statehood and the Democrats find themselves in a very strong position to govern with the full backing of the American people, which would be a nice change of pace for our country.
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

The 2022 Senate map is actually very favorable to Democrats. There is maybe 1 vulnerable Democrat (more if Dems win in Arizona and Georgia this year). OTOH, Republicans will have to defend 5 seats (more if they win in Arizona and Georgia this year).

Add 4 Democratic seats with Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. statehood and the Democrats find themselves in a very strong position to govern with the full backing of the American people, which would be a nice change of pace for our country.
I think you are underestimating how unpopular these moves will be seen, particularly adding the new statehoods to packing the court.
AunBear89
Unpopular among your crowd, but not so with the majority of Americans. Suck it up, buttercup: the days of the corrupt and hypocritical GOP are numbered.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

I think you are underestimating how unpopular these moves will be seen, particularly adding the new statehoods to packing the court.
I only hope we find out
bearlyamazing
If packing the court, which even Biden said was stupid for FDR to try, was a popular idea with the electorate, the dems would be using that as one of their key platforms, yet they're doing everything they can to hide from it every time when asked. Biden himself said the country doesn't deserve to know what he'll do and they'll find out after the election. Ditto for DC and PR statehood. They won't say word one about it outside of fundraising and donor meetings.

Those are not popular ideas across the electorate and are extreme reactions born of frustration.
dajo9
bearlyamazing said:

If packing the court, which even Biden said was stupid for FDR to try, was a popular idea with the electorate, the dems would be using that as one of their key platforms, yet they're doing everything they can to hide from it every time when asked. Biden himself said the country doesn't deserve to know what he'll do and they'll find out after the election. Ditto for DC and PR statehood. They won't say word one about it outside of fundraising and donor meetings.

Those are not popular ideas across the electorate and are extreme reactions born of frustration.
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about
smh
dajo9 said:

The first thing to do would be add 2 states and 4 Senators so we don't have to rely on faux Democrats like Manchin.
bingo
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

I'm not sure adding DC and PR as states would be unpopular at all.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

Adding to the Supreme Court does not appear to be popular. Adding the two statehoods is, though once the Republicans scream I'm sure many of those on that side that support it now will fall in line. Regarding the statehood, doesn't matter. The political benefit short and long term far outweighs the blow back.

And I'll say this. In my mind this is not even about Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative. The rural vote has far too outsized power. It isn't fair. It has never been fair. We've let it slide. However, if they are going to use that power to put in idiots like Trump, urban and suburban college educated voters can't let it slide anymore. We are staring at an election where the Democrat could win the popular vote by 8% and still be sweating out the electoral college. That is bullshyte. DC and Puerto Rico will not make up for the inequity, but it is probably enough.

You also underestimate the fact that if the Democrats do not have the balls to fight back after the last four years and at minimum pass DC statehood, they are useless and they will lose a lot of us. This isn't even about policy. It is about protecting us from the most dangerously incompetent complete menace that has ever been in the White House. The stakes are higher than difference in tax policy or abortion.
smh
dajo9 said:

"As.. You.. Wish.." Featuring a bearly out of diapers Buttercup sighting, and SPOILERS
^ Repeating line from decades ago classic Princess Bride [skip ahead ~2 mins]
dajo9
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Kid Quick said:

dajo9 said:

Yogi Dont Pay said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

bearlyamazing said:

We are staring at an election where the Democrat could win the popular vote by 8% and still be sweating out the electoral college. That is bullshyte.
This part is stunning. Reagan won by 9% in 1980. Could you imagine if the Electoral College seated Jimmy Carter after that election? That could be what happens this year.

In that scenario, I would rather drop my support for the U.S. Constitution and government than submit to that.
BearForce2
smh said:

dajo9 said:

bingo

Pack the U.S.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearlyamazing
Biden won't win the popular vote by anything even approaching 8%, if at all.
smh
bearlyamazing said:

dajo9
BearForce2 said:

smh said:

dajo9 said:

bingo

Pack the U.S.

BacK tO 13 STatEs nOw
bearister
bearlyamazing said:

Biden will win the popular vote by a minimum of 5 million, lose the Electoral College, and then the orange tub of guts can spend millions in tax payer money investigating it for voter fraud.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Go!Bears
wifeisafurd said:

Oak did a very good summary of how the Supreme Court operates and its limitations. If the nut jobs here want to make wild comments about how the Court will change based on their non-understanding of how the Court works, they are welcome to provide their uninformed comments, but realize they are discounted by any of us who went to law school. As for some rumination of a random law professor or Salon or Vox authors, it is reminiscent of the few scientists who claims there is no global warming. The legal community actually gets how SCOTUS operates. Sure the court listens to the tone of the public, but they still limit their authority and case analysis is based on established precedent. And the rarely, directly overturn prior precedence. Again, almost all SCOTUS decisions are with vast majorities that include judges nominated by Presidents of both parties. The nut jobs don't get any of that.

Other note: apologies to Anarchist, I thought I was responding too Yogi. Ignore the quips re: picking names. I often find myself agreeing with your points, though not here.
You lawyers are funny. You think you know so much. Your arrogance is boundless. You live in a world that was created by the US Supreme Court (Marbury v. Madison) and you imagine that that world is the only one possible. What do you think you learned in Law school or in years of practice of law? You learned how the current system works - and you may be expert at that. You seem to be clueless about alternatives.

You also seem to be clueless about politics. It is politics that created the court, politics that sustains it and politics that will bring reform. People who criticize the court are generally making political not legal arguments and hence your criticism of them is pointless. Yet you think it is brilliant. Maybe if you had advanced degrees in the study of politics you would understand. I guess I shouldn't expect too much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.