Matt Leinart: The hero we need

4,750 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Covid California cases. deaths
Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

Who is getting the disease mostly? Latinos. Here are they getting it from? The data is crappy but we know where hot spots really are- food processing plants, other agriculture, big box warehouses, nursing homes,health care workers, prisons. Mostly from workplaces or instititions, many of which employ undocumented. The spread is initiated here and goes to dense households with little access to healthcare. Why are they catching it? Because they have no f$ckin choice. Are any of these sources being closed or cited? Don't think so because it caters to our more affluent lifestyle

Who are disproportionately dying? Whites, 65 and up; probably nursing homes.

So a lot of the remarks here are from people who are less at risk ( me included) who seek to further manage risk by pontificating about restaurants and small gatherings but these likely have marginal impact. Do you increase your risk: yes? Can the risk be ameliorated or managed to acceptable levels; yes ( though I agree bars are too risky). The problem is to do this requires more than a blanket order and actual epidemiology and legions of people. The state does not have the infrastructure.and they take the path of least resistance. Doesn't mean we should accept this focus on individuals or the running around throwing a net over the world as science. Newsome should recuse himself he is not a person who can longer be trusted.

People are getting sick because they are poor and disenfranchised not from eating out. These decisions need to be much more transparent and democratic.

The other big question is about what is "essential?" I'd say food processing and agriculture are much more essential than restaurant dining. If the food pipeline dried up we'd have really big problems. Both are risky, but there are defensible reasons why one is shut down and the other isn't.
concordtom
Do you really care that Newsom went to a restaurant? Does that disqualify him? I'm not saying I thought it was a good look - it wasn't. But does it disqualify his judgment and leadership on the subject?
bearister
" New Name: Bayareawide Warriors! Tain't nothing wrong with that!"

What's taint?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Do you really care that Newsom went to a restaurant? Does that disqualify him? I'm not saying I thought it was a good look - it wasn't. But does it disqualify his judgment and leadership on the subject?

Absolutely. He is issuing rules he doesn't follow but expects us to follow. His judgment and leadership are not to be taken seriously and are appalling. If he was a mid level public health official or in the military he'd probably resign or be fired.
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

Who is getting the disease mostly? Latinos. Here are they getting it from? The data is crappy but we know where hot spots really are- food processing plants, other agriculture, big box warehouses, nursing homes,health care workers, prisons. Mostly from workplaces or instititions, many of which employ undocumented. The spread is initiated here and goes to dense households with little access to healthcare. Why are they catching it? Because they have no f$ckin choice. Are any of these sources being closed or cited? Don't think so because it caters to our more affluent lifestyle

So a lot of the remarks here are from people who are less at risk ( me included) who seek to further manage risk by pontificating about restaurants and small gatherings but these likely have marginal impact. Do you increase your risk: yes? Can the risk be ameliorated or managed to acceptable levels; yes ( though I agree bars are too risky). The problem is to do this requires more than a blanket order and actual epidemiology and legions of people. The state does not have the infrastructure.and they take the path of least resistance. Doesn't mean we should accept this focus on individuals or the running around throwing a net over the world as science. Newsome should recuse himself he is not a person who can longer be trusted.

People are getting sick because they are poor and disenfranchised not from eating out. These decisions need to be much more transparent and democratic.

The other big question is about what is "essential?" I'd say food processing and agriculture are much more essential than restaurant dining. If the food pipeline dried up we'd have really big problems. Both are risky, but there are defensible reasons why one is shut down and the other isn't.
Yes, he listed food processing- essential, agriculture - essential, big box warehouses - some essential some not, nursing homes - essential, health care workers - essential. prisons - essential. One of those you can possibly limit, but not close down. The others are what they are. People need food, nursing home residents don't disappear, we heed health care workers more than ever, and prisoners don't disappear. That is not because rich people need those things. That is because everyone needs those things. And yes, those workers have no effing choice and that sucks. And you know what helps them? By doing an actual risk benefit analysis and eliminating the activities that have lower benefits - like restaurants because those are the highest risk lowest reward activities. That reduces the spread and makes the essential jobs less risky.

Food needs to be processed. It doesn't need to be cooked for you and brought to your table with a nice red wine. Maybe processing food is riskier than sitting in a restaurant but food has to be processed. If someone really gave a damn about the people that have no effing choice but to do the food processing job, they would stop pontificating about not being able to have a chef prepare their meal and a waiter bringing it to their table warm. Couching one's first world problem of not having their yuppie whims desired in caring for the less fortunate does not protect the less fortunate.
Anarchistbear
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

Yes, he listed food processing- essential, agriculture - essential, big box warehouses - some essential some not, nursing homes - essential, health care workers - essential. prisons - essential. One of those you can possibly limit, but not close down. The others are what they are. People need food, nursing home residents don't disappear, we heed health care workers more than ever, and prisoners don't disappear. That is not because rich people need those things. That is because everyone needs those things. And yes, those workers have no effing choice and that sucks. And you know what helps them? By doing an actual risk benefit analysis and eliminating the activities that have lower benefits - like restaurants because those are the highest risk lowest reward activities. That reduces the spread and makes the essential jobs less risky.

Food needs to be processed. It doesn't need to be cooked for you and brought to your table with a nice red wine. Maybe processing food is riskier than sitting in a restaurant but food has to be processed. If someone really gave a damn about the people that have no effing choice but to do the food processing job, they would stop pontificating about not being able to have a chef prepare their meal and a waiter bringing it to their table warm. Couching one's first world problem of not having their yuppie whims desired in caring for the less fortunate does not protect the less fortunate.

This is totally idiotic.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.
Why? Seems pretty logical to me.
BearlyCareAnymore
Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.
I'm sure it is as idiotic as thinking that processing food so that people can eat should be governed by the same standard as having Pierre open your 2015 Chateau Lafite at the table so you can determine whether it is to your liking.
Anarchistbear
OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.
I'm sure it is as idiotic as thinking that processing food so that people can eat should be governed by the same standard as having Pierre open your 2015 Chateau Lafite at the table so you can determine whether it is to your liking.

Equally idiotic but thankfully less than your usual 1000 words of bloviating prose. Enjoy your Amazon delivery of essential canned cocktails
Big C
concordtom said:

bearister said:

concordtom said:

And don't even try to compare what the Warriors did to what the Raiders did.
It's actually amazing, now that I think about it, that you praise the Raiders, yet demonize the Warriors.
Is that really so? By your logic, it makes NO sense.
And you are sensible, except for this issue.

Set me straight here, will ya?

You are right about the Raiders, and probably the Warriors too. Oakland has to be a maddening city to make a business deal with. I suppose it can all be excused by "it's just business," since both teams made better deals elsewhere.

I don't like Lacob. He had to be sued twice to pay for the team's share of the Championship Parades and brought to arbitration for the team's share of the arena renovation costs ($50m):

"An arbitrator and a California Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the Coliseum Authority, concluding the Warriors must pay up. In August, a state appeals court panel reaffirmed that decision. Now, the Warriors are asking the state supreme court to take on the matter." Mercury News

The latest is Lacob had a plan to have rapid testing at Chase Center so he could have 50% fan capacity at Warriors' game. The City health officials kabashed it. How much do you really think he cared about fan safety? Do you think the fans were going to be asked to sign a comprehensive Release of Liability that would include a release of liability even if ownership was negligent?

So in other words, IMO, Lacob is greedy and I don't approve of how he does business, which undoubtedly is why he is so successful, because he makes sure he is never on the short end of a business deal.

In conclusion, my hard feelings are based on the old school doctrine that loyalty was worth something. The Warriors and the Raiders each sucked for a solid 20 years and yet they maintained a loyal fan base (much more so than the SF teams during their lean years). The problem is that loyalty has no market value in pro sports. If you can move and do better financially than your loyal fans can go f themselves. That's just the way it is.

*I will always love Klay Thompson, however. It is liberating to watch Raider games and literally not give a sh@it if they win or lose (and they will always manage to gyroscope back to their true mediocre as long as Blond Moe owns the team).
Okay, great, thank you for expanding.
I haven't had an opinion on Lacob, but I agree that the W's should pay for city parties, to the tune of at least 50%. I have no idea how to quantify the expenses and city-wide benefits, so I guess I'd start there. Probably some businesses profited from the party, so I wouldn't put the W's tab at 100%.

I don't know about and so can't have a quick opinion of the Chase testing 50% seating thing. I mean, that would just be knee jerk of me, and I do enough of that on this forum. I'll accept that you don't like that, or the way he does business.

That said, I do not have a problem with him moving about 8 miles across the bay - not at all. Like the 49ers, they've stayed true to the region, and that, I think, is "everything" as Rachel Nichols on The Jump likes to ask her guests. I have Oakland roots historically and lived there for 5 years as a youth, too, so, I feel my opinion can count here. I don't think the team MUST reside within the geographic boundaries of the City of Oakland! I mean, if they moved to downtown (somehow), then Coliseum locals could complain that they are moving too far away.

And as someone else points out, the Warriors were at the Cow Palace before, and totally abandoned that whole area of businesses and fans, so.... them moving to SF has NO standing in my opinion and that's why I'm busting your chops.

If you are bitter about Lacob moving for more money, just think of it this way - with the team being more profitable, they'll be able to go after better free agents, and if the facilities and aura of the team rock, they'll be more apt to come. THUS, the team won't suck for another 20 years of misery.

Competition is the way of the world. Compete or die.
Think of it, we could be Seattle - no NBA team at all.

Meanwhile, the Raiders SUCK and will ALWAYS SUCK for what they did to Oakland, and northern california, 3 times: twice in leaving and once in returning. They were my team as a kid, and I still have their special logo trash can from xmas as a child and plenty of their football cards! I was #25 Blitnikoff and my brother was #12 Stabler. He still loves them, but I can't support them. Booooo! You suck, Al Davis!! I gave the trash can to my brother. He likes it.

Go Bears! They can't move.

I believe Lacob's plan for 9,000 attendance was that he was going to provide rapid-results COVID testing for everybody entering. He was selling it like he was graciously supplying society with increased testing to combat the pandemic.

Lacob the great humanitarian.

What p!sses me off about the Warriors is that, in the 45-or-something years that they played in Oakland, they never called themselves the Oakland Warriors and tried to get around that by having "The Town" jerseys... and now, after leaving Oakland, they're designing actual Oakland jerseys to wear on occasion to "honor their heritage" (and try not to further alienate East Bay fans).

Lacob can do what he wants with his team, I guess, but I don't have to like it, or root for them anymore. I've always been a fan of Klay and Draymond, but the rest of them can stuff it.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.

Equally idiotic but thankfully less than your usual 1000 words of bloviating prose. Enjoy your Amazon delivery of essential canned cocktails
Thanks for proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are unable to participate in a sustained argument.
BearlyCareAnymore
Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.

Warehouses were the one are I said could be reduced. Please explain how you cut food processing and have a functioning society. Please explain how you cut health care workers in a pandemic. Please explain how you cut nursing homes where people live. Please explain how indoor dining is nearly as essential.

I haven't had any alcohol delivered to my house and you have no idea what my ordering habits are. But you ARE in fact arguing that indoor dining should be opened going against all science. And you are using nursing homes to make your argument

Is ordering takeout really that hard?
Kaworu
OaktownBear said:

hanky1 said:

Can any of you even make an argument supporting the lockdown without yelling "you're killing my grandma!!!"?

People need to stop calling narrowly tailored restrictions that stop specific behaviors that significantly increase spread a massive lockdown. How about you stop being an entitled snowflake and do the many things you can still do, including ordering takeout, instead of whining about your inability to sit at a table being waited on.

And no we won't stop saying your behavior is killing old people because your behavior is killing old people.
Actually, what's mostly killing old people is people coming into long-term care facilities while infected. Maybe those facilities need some stronger protocols.
Anarchistbear
OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

Anarchistbear said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Latino 60% 49%
White 19%. 30%
Asian 6%. . 12%
African American. 4%. 7%

This is totally idiotic.

Warehouses were the one are I said could be reduced. Please explain how you cut food processing and have a functioning society. Please explain how you cut health care workers in a pandemic. Please explain how you cut nursing homes where people live. Please explain how indoor dining is nearly as essential.

I haven't had any alcohol delivered to my house and you have no idea what my ordering habits are. But you ARE in fact arguing that indoor dining should be opened going against all science. And you are using nursing homes to make your argument

Is ordering takeout really that hard?

You've mischaracterize everything I wrote. I stated that this is a disease of poor and Latino- many of whom work in "essential industries". I didn't. call for the wholesale closing of all these.

Some of these are self-regulating ( hospitals; nursing homes ); others like food processing, home care, are not. We know there have been a lot of superspreader events in meat plants but they aren't the only ones - chips and salsa plant ; packing houses; migrant workers quarters; coffee plants; frozen foods; temp agencies, just some of the California outbreaks. (Confession: I've worked in this area). Also You know what essential processed foods are? Everything in the supermarket including canned cocktails to marshmallows to potato chips. And I don't recommend picking winners and losers

The State didn't begin to regulate this until August. What they are doing has been insufficient. What I am saying is that this industry and there are others are sources that are not being dealt with effectively and where there is a lot of bang and little focus. The state has limited resources they should focus them on things that matter more to the spread of disease not assume everything is important

With regard to restaurants it is a problem of time and space. In March it was much more dangerous; if you reduce capacity per table and per restaurant the risk reduces markedly- this has been modeled, I don't have the citation handy.

The other point is that restaurants in higher socio- economic areas have less transmission than lower socioeconomic. The reason is simple: poorer people have to visit these places more often because they are on the move. Secondly, poorer people are in more crowded restaurants. From this study https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/restaurants-gyms-were-spring-superspreader-sites-occupancy-limits-could-control-spread/

". A larger proportion of people who went to restaurants in low-income areas than high-income neighborhoods were infected, for example. People in lower-income neighborhoods bought their food at smaller, more crowded grocery stores with 59% more people per square foot compared to markets in wealthier neighborhoods where more white people lived. They also visited grocery stores more often and spent 17% more time shopping there.

The risk of Covid-19 infection climbed with the time spent in indoor public spaces. The study's model predicts that setting an occupancy ceiling of 20% of maximum capacity for all these public spaces could cut new infections by more than 80% while reducing the overall number of visits by 42%."

So, indoor dining is complicated but is manageable as I said with risk analysis. That means all aren't the same and maybe some shouldn't open but just as restaurants are rated as to compliance with safety guidelines need to be better defined for Covd than wear a mask.

Peoples livelihoods are at stake. It is easy to sit home drinking canned cocktails sheltering in place while making Olympian judgments that all should be closed because of "science" but the truth is most don't have that luxury and the science is nuanced. Some people can't eat take out all the time. They have to go out.
Kaworu
Anarchistbear said:

Peoples livelihoods are at stake. It is easy to sit home drinking canned cocktails sheltering in place while making Olympian judgments that all should be closed because of "science" but the truth is most don't have that luxury and the science is nuanced.
As much as I've talked about indoor dining, I don't feel like it's at all settled that indoor dining is necessarily safe or unsafe. My position is much more about science is not the guiding factor there.

My bigger concern is for the white collar liberals who sit at home in their single family residences preaching to us about safety and "don't kill the old people" and put zero energy into complaining about the politicians who are far more responsible for the number of infections and deaths because they have not given people a viable financial option to keep their businesses alive and enable them to pay their bills while they wait out this disease. They are quite fine with the people in the meat packing plants and the processed food factories dying because to them, they are fungible, even though they virtue signal on other matters in regards to human rights.

Most of the problems with infection rates come down to several things.

1. Industries that have not been legally compelled to protect the health of their workers.
2. Government officials who through political malpractice are responsible for the deaths of many people in prisons and long-term care facilities.
3. People refusing to wear masks in red states and some parts of blue states (like Southern California).
4. Long-term care facilities not being as careful about who comes and goes in their facilities even if the politicians didn't forcibly put infected and non-infected patients together.

All of those are far more important than whether we have indoor dining at reduced capacity or not. And as long as those 4 things above remain true, you can keep opening and closing restaurants throughout the next year and it won't matter until there's a herd immunity brought on by either a vaccine or brute force culling of the herd.
Anarchistbear
Kaworu said:

Anarchistbear said:

Peoples livelihoods are at stake. It is easy to sit home drinking canned cocktails sheltering in place while making Olympian judgments that all should be closed because of "science" but the truth is most don't have that luxury and the science is nuanced.
As much as I've talked about indoor dining, I don't feel like it's at all settled that indoor dining is necessarily safe or unsafe. My position is much more about science is not the guiding factor there.

My bigger concern is for the white collar liberals who sit at home in their single family residences preaching to us about safety and "don't kill the old people" and put zero energy into complaining about the politicians who are far more responsible for the number of infections and deaths because they have not given people a viable financial option to keep their businesses alive and enable them to pay their bills while they wait out this disease. They are quite fine with the people in the meat packing plants and the processed food factories dying because to them, they are fungible, even though they virtue signal on other matters in regards to human rights.

1. Industries that have not been legally compelled to protect the health of their workers.
2. Government officials who through political malpractice are responsible for the deaths of many people in prisons and long-term care facilities.
3. People refusing to wear masks in red states and some parts of blue states (like Southern California).
4. Long-term care facilities not being as careful about who comes and goes in their facilities even if the politicians didn't forcibly put infected and non-infected patients together.

All of those are far more important than whether we have indoor dining at reduced capacity or not. And as long as those 4 things above remain true, you can keep opening and closing restaurants throughout the next year and it won't matter until there's a herd immunity brought on by either a vaccine or brute force culling of the herd.

Agree. I would add to your risk the lack of health care access for people at the sharp end of the business- not working or laid off - that are disproportionately dying while the gated community- working at home, not going out, taking no risks- complains about individual behavior with the classic- "we are all in this together". No we are not!.

This is the truth of it via Chris Arnade

Pandemic classes
1) Very wealthy: In mansions making annoying as **** videos. Some sing in them
2) Upper class professionals: In vacation homes in rural towns they have infected
3) Aspirational professionals: Back with parents in above. Or stuck in NYC apartment with weed stash

4) Middle class: Stuck in smaller home with kids, grandparents, & an odd hanger on they picked up along way. Most still have to work daily & are being exposed to virus. Lots of bills coming due
5) Lower Middle Class: Same. But smaller home.
6) Working class: Working bringing stuff to all of above. On farms, in factories producing food, in trucks delivering food. As janitors in hospitals, as cops, as firefighters, at post office. Keeping **** running. Getting exposed every day. Come home to house filled
7) Poor: Trying to work, but nothing. Trying to quarantine, maybe. But they got little space, lots of obligations & tons of bills coming. 5th floor walk up with one bathroom & 9 people. **** getting frustrating. Bodega running low & over-priced anyhow. Can't stock up. **** this

Chris Arnade Turtle
@Chris_arnade

Mar 27
8) Very poor: In shelters, public housing, on streets, or section 8. Everything closing & no place to go to hang and get warm or clean up. Or place to escape the ****ing crap going down in the shelter. Walk outside and it is martial law. Cops with masks. End times are coming.
concordtom
bearister said:

" New Name: Bayareawide Warriors! Tain't nothing wrong with that!"

What's taint?

It's a southern word. Goes with y'all.
Those are probably the only one I ever use.
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

concordtom said:

It's actually amazing, now that I think about it, that you praise the Raiders, yet demonize the Warriors.

You are right about the Raiders, and probably the Warriors too. Oakland has to be a maddening city to make a business deal with. I suppose it can all be excused by "it's just business," since both teams made better deals elsewhere.

I don't like Lacob. He had to be sued twice to pay for the team's share of the Championship Parades and brought to arbitration for the team's share of the arena renovation costs ($50m):

"An arbitrator and a California Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the Coliseum Authority, concluding the Warriors must pay up. In August, a state appeals court panel reaffirmed that decision. Now, the Warriors are asking the state supreme court to take on the matter." Mercury News

The latest is Lacob had a plan to have rapid testing at Chase Center so he could have 50% fan capacity at Warriors' game. The City health officials kabashed it. How much do you really think he cared about fan safety? Do you think the fans were going to be asked to sign a comprehensive Release of Liability that would include a release of liability even if ownership was negligent?

So in other words, IMO, Lacob is greedy and I don't approve of how he does business, which undoubtedly is why he is so successful, because he makes sure he is never on the short end of a business deal.

In conclusion, my hard feelings are based on the old school doctrine that loyalty was worth something. The Warriors and the Raiders each sucked for a solid 20 years and yet they maintained a loyal fan base (much more so than the SF teams during their lean years). The problem is that loyalty has no market value in pro sports. If you can move and do better financially than your loyal fans can go f themselves. That's just the way it is.

*I will always love Klay Thompson, however. It is liberating to watch Raider games and literally not give a sh@it if they win or lose (and they will always manage to gyroscope back to their true mediocre as long as Blond Moe owns the team).
I haven't had an opinion on Lacob, but I agree that the W's should pay for city parties, to the tune of at least 50%. I have no idea how to quantify the expenses and city-wide benefits, so I guess I'd start there. Probably some businesses profited from the party, so I wouldn't put the W's tab at 100%.

I don't know about and so can't have a quick opinion of the Chase testing 50% seating thing. I mean, that would just be knee jerk of me, and I do enough of that on this forum. I'll accept that you don't like that, or the way he does business.

That said, I do not have a problem with him moving about 8 miles across the bay - not at all. Like the 49ers, they've stayed true to the region, and that, I think, is "everything" as Rachel Nichols on The Jump likes to ask her guests. I have Oakland roots historically and lived there for 5 years as a youth, too, so, I feel my opinion can count here. I don't think the team MUST reside within the geographic boundaries of the City of Oakland! I mean, if they moved to downtown (somehow), then Coliseum locals could complain that they are moving too far away.

And as someone else points out, the Warriors were at the Cow Palace before, and totally abandoned that whole area of businesses and fans, so.... them moving to SF has NO standing in my opinion and that's why I'm busting your chops.

If you are bitter about Lacob moving for more money, just think of it this way - with the team being more profitable, they'll be able to go after better free agents, and if the facilities and aura of the team rock, they'll be more apt to come. THUS, the team won't suck for another 20 years of misery.

Meanwhile, the Raiders SUCK and will ALWAYS SUCK for what they did to Oakland, and northern california, 3 times: twice in leaving and once in returning. They were my team as a kid, and I still have their special logo trash can from xmas as a child and plenty of their football cards! I was #25 Blitnikoff and my brother was #12 Stabler. He still loves them, but I can't support them. Booooo! You suck, Al Davis!! I gave the trash can to my brother. He likes it.

I believe Lacob's plan for 9,000 attendance was that he was going to provide rapid-results COVID testing for everybody entering. He was selling it like he was graciously supplying society with increased testing to combat the pandemic.

What p!sses me off about the Warriors is that, in the 45-or-something years that they played in Oakland, they never called themselves the Oakland Warriors and tried to get around that by having "The Town" jerseys... and now, after leaving Oakland, they're designing actual Oakland jerseys to wear on occasion to "honor their heritage" (and try not to further alienate East Bay fans).

Lacob can do what he wants with his team, I guess, but I don't have to like it, or root for them anymore. I've always been a fan of Klay and Draymond, but the rest of them can stuff it.
Wow. I've heard people refer to Oakland as the lesser sibling to SF many times, along with the chip on the Oakland shoulder because of that, but this post would seem to be a great example of that.

You know, they've also not called themselves the San Francisco Warriors (except I think at the start). The Golden State name harkens to the fact that they did move locations and it refers to all of California (minus the Lakers). Before the Kings came to Sac, they were the only team in NorCal.

I dunno -- who cares. The SF Giants and the 49ers played in South San Francisco when at Candlestick - were they disrespecting San Francisco?

Does NJ have a problem with their teams that play at the Meadowlands?
The Washington Redskins haven't played in DC in many years.
The California Angels.
The Dallas Cowboys don't actually play in Dallas.
It goes on and on....

But now you want the Oakland Warriors instead of GS? Else they are disrespecting Oakland?
heartofthebear
concordtom said:

Leinart is an idiot.
Cancer is not contagious like coughing on someone, or passively breathing in their presence.
Covid left unchecked could kill a couple million people.
But he wants to go to dinner and dance.

Nice...
Yeah, I think covid is just about the most contagious thing we've had in this country in quite some time.
Cancer selects it's victims based on genetics, environmental exposure and health factors, it is not going to jump from one person to another based on proximity like this thing. While less lethal than cancer, it is far scarier in the sense that you just never know when and/if you might get it. And then you have to hope it is a mild form or that there is an open hospital bed for you.

Folks concerned about cancer should be doubly concerned about covid, because there may not be a bed for you when you need it, thanks to covid.
sycasey
concordtom said:

I dunno -- who cares. The SF Giants and the 49ers played in South San Francisco when at Candlestick - were they disrespecting San Francisco?

Not true, Candlestick Park was within San Francisco city limits.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Kaworu said:

Anarchistbear said:

Agree. I would add to your risk the lack of health care access for people at the sharp end of the business- not working or laid off - that are disproportionately dying while the gated community- working at home, not going out, taking no risks- complains about individual behavior with the classic- "we are all in this together". No we are not!.

This is the truth of it via Chris Arnade

Pandemic classes
1) Very wealthy: In mansions making annoying as **** videos. Some sing in them
2) Upper class professionals: In vacation homes in rural towns they have infected
3) Aspirational professionals: Back with parents in above. Or stuck in NYC apartment with weed stash

4) Middle class: Stuck in smaller home with kids, grandparents, & an odd hanger on they picked up along way. Most still have to work daily & are being exposed to virus. Lots of bills coming due
5) Lower Middle Class: Same. But smaller home.
6) Working class: Working bringing stuff to all of above. On farms, in factories producing food, in trucks delivering food. As janitors in hospitals, as cops, as firefighters, at post office. Keeping **** running. Getting exposed every day. Come home to house filled
7) Poor: Trying to work, but nothing. Trying to quarantine, maybe. But they got little space, lots of obligations & tons of bills coming. 5th floor walk up with one bathroom & 9 people. **** getting frustrating. Bodega running low & over-priced anyhow. Can't stock up. **** this

Chris Arnade Turtle
@Chris_arnade

Mar 27
8) Very poor: In shelters, public housing, on streets, or section 8. Everything closing & no place to go to hang and get warm or clean up. Or place to escape the ****ing crap going down in the shelter. Walk outside and it is martial law. Cops with masks. End times are coming.
So what I'm hearing here is that the government hasn't done enough to support people working "essential jobs" in industries that aren't providing adequate safeguards, nor has enough been done to support those on the lower end who have lost work during the pandemic. No argument on either point from me. We definitely need to do more to help these folks, as that's where outbreaks are most likely to happen.

That's still not an argument for why indoor dining should be kept open, though. I'll note that this subject is not coming up because I'm raising it, rather it's because people like hanky (and Matt Leinart, I guess) are complaining about restaurant closures. I never tried to claim it was the first priority, only that it was was a logical and reasonable decision to stop indoor dining.
Kaworu
sycasey said:

That's still not an argument for why indoor dining should be kept open, though. I'll note that this subject is not coming up because I'm raising it, rather it's because people like hanky (and Matt Leinart, I guess) are complaining about restaurant closures. I never tried to claim it was the first priority, only that it was was a logical and reasonable decision to stop indoor dining.
It's coming up because having these places close because they have no financial safety net is bad for the economy, for the people who run these businesses, and for the community at large. Some food works a lot better for takeout than others. It doesn't matter to me where I eat my pizza, but something like eating at the House of Prime Rib simply doesn't function well as takeout.
sycasey
Kaworu said:

sycasey said:

It's coming up because having these places close because they have no financial safety net is bad for the economy, for the people who run these businesses, and for the community at large. Some food works a lot better for takeout than others. It doesn't matter to me where I eat my pizza, but something like eating at the House of Prime Rib simply doesn't function well as takeout.
Agreed, those workers and businesses need to be compensated.
bearister
When the Warriors moved from SF and the Cow Palace to Oakland and the arena, they did not call them the Oakland Warriors because they knew San Francisco fans would go bat guano crazy to have the name of the town they hate attached to the team. So they slapped the Golden State label on the team.

Do you think for 5 seconds that POS Lacob is going to worry about the feelings of the loyal Oakland fans and keep the name Golden State?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
bearister said:

When the Warriors moved from SF and the Cow Palace to Oakland and the arena, they did not call them the Oakland Warriors because they knew San Francisco fans would go bat guano crazy to have the name of the town they hate attached to the team. So they slapped the Golden State label on the team.

Wasn't it also because they played some home games in San Diego?
Kaworu
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Wasn't it also because they played some home games in San Diego?
Initially yes
Big C
concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

concordtom said:

Wow. I've heard people refer to Oakland as the lesser sibling to SF many times, along with the chip on the Oakland shoulder because of that, but this post would seem to be a great example of that.

You know, they've also not called themselves the San Francisco Warriors (except I think at the start). The Golden State name harkens to the fact that they did move locations and it refers to all of California (minus the Lakers). Before the Kings came to Sac, they were the only team in NorCal.

The California Angels.
It goes on and on....

But now you want the Oakland Warriors instead of GS? Else they are disrespecting Oakland?

I never really had a problem with the term "Golden State". I respect that Lacob wanted to take his team "big time" and move to a fancy arena in SF: He bought the team and was instrumental in its turnaround. It didn't please me that they went to SF, but whatever.

It pissed me off a tiny bit that they have ALREADY worn "San Francisco" jerseys, after never having worn "Oakland" jerseys for 45+ years. It pisses me off a bit more that they are now planning on occasionally wearing an "Oakland" jersey, after never having done so before and then moving out of Oakland. Eff that.

I was once a Warriors fan, but my heart just isn't there anymore. Kinda like the Raiders (grew up a huge Raider fan). I am not losing any sleep over this, though. Not even close. The only teams I care about now are Cal Football and Basketball and, to a lesser extent, the Giants. Well, Stanfurd, too: I care that they lose. I like sports a lot, in general. I just don't care who wins, except for the aforementioned.
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

Not true, Candlestick Park was within San Francisco city limits.

Okay, thanks.
But you get my point.
Tons of teams don't play in their names city. Pistons, auburn hills is another that comes to mind.
concordtom
bearister said:

Do you think for 5 seconds that POS Lacob is going to worry about the feelings of the loyal Oakland fans and keep the name Golden State?

I think the GS name will continue, no?
Besides, who cares,
Montesquieu, Capulet, what's it a name?

I don't hold onto any SF vs Oakland rivalry. We are one big Bay Area family.

When my great grandfather arrived circa 1912 from MN, he bought a house on Mandana and commuted via the Key and Ferry to Main St, SF. His company did underwater welding on the Bay Bridge. One big region. No problem!
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

concordtom said:

The California Angels.
It goes on and on....

I never really had a problem with the term "Golden State". I respect that Lacob wanted to take his team "big time" and move to a fancy arena in SF: He bought the team and was instrumental in its turnaround. It didn't please me that they went to SF, but whatever.

It pissed me off a tiny bit that they have ALREADY worn "San Francisco" jerseys, after never having worn "Oakland" jerseys for 45+ years. It pisses me off a bit more that they are now planning on occasionally wearing an "Oakland" jersey, after never having done so before and then moving out of Oakland. Eff that.

I was once a Warriors fan, but my heart just isn't there anymore. Kinda like the Raiders (grew up a huge Raider fan). I am not losing any sleep over this, though. Not even close. The only teams I care about now are Cal Football and Basketball and, to a lesser extent, the Giants. Well, Stanfurd, too: I care that they lose. I like sports a lot, in general. I just don't care who wins, except for the aforementioned.

Okay, but
You are peddling a shade of mistruth.
I grew up playing baseball and generally hanging around Oakland parks. When the warriors came out with their Oakland parks logo Floor and Jersey, I immediately recognized and loved it.

This was on every trash can.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.