cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,271,367 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
as been explained here several times, the bears are all in with ivan rabb

this staff has not recruited chase comanche, alex illikainen does not have an actionable offer & is considered a minnesota lean, caleb swaningan is a longshot probable michigan state commit & josh sharma ain't gonna come to berkeley if ivan stays home in berkeley

another senior transfer graduate is more likely than a hs big imo

christian is progressing, kameron is gonna be a load inside & kingsley needs this year to develop a bad azz playing style

life ain't linear#
no easy solutions#
SFCityBear
I love your optimism about Behrens, Rooks and Okoroh. I’m too jaded re the modern bb player/game and the propensity for injuries to be optimistic about 13 scholarship rosters, which make it so tough to get 8-10 healthy bodies to show up night after night.

I guess you are saying we are not going to pursue any bigs except Rabb. So do we know of any potential transfer bigs who are out there, and when do these names usually become public? Before the end of the season or later?
HoopDreams

Shocky1

failure to watch the following instructional video will result in adverse consequences for cal basketball players & recruits

ignore at your own risk

you're welcome

dr shock#
friday night in hollywood#
SFBearz
SFCityBear;842343335 said:

At the end of this season, it's a fact that our best front line player, David Kravish and another likely major contributing big, Keith Tarwater will graduate. What we will have coming back for the 2015-16 season, as true bigs, will be current freshman Kingsley Okoroh, the oft-injured Christian Behrens, the currently injured Sean Rooks, and the undersized at 6'-7", 204 lb Cole Welle. The returning bigs in 2015 are, on paper at least, not as formidable as the bigs we have on the current roster. Going forward, it looks to me that we have guards and shooters out the wazzou, but not quite enough up front, which has been an ongoing problem for some time. We need to address that need for bigs right now for the 2015 class.

Getting Rabb would be a big step forward, but with the unknowns regarding the current bigs as to their abilities (Okoroh and Welle) or their health (Behrens and Rooks), we need at least one more quality big besides Rabb in the 2015 class. And since Rabb's commitment is no sure thing, or even close to it, we need to pursue two more quality bigs, and sign at least one for the 2015 class, IMO. We have offered 6'-10" Chance Comanche, Alex Illikainan, 6'-11" Josh Sharma, and the undersized 6'-7" Juwan Morgan. Let us hope we can land either Rabb and one of these four, or if not Rabb, then two of the remaining four. There is no time to lose.

+ 100 Exactly.
Shocky1
SFBearz;842343476 said:

+ 100 Exactly.

not gonna happen

one love#
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jy6u_bread-aubrey_music
Vineyardview
Adam Zagoria reports that - Prince Ali to UCLA impacts other recruitments.

They are now out of it for Brandon Sampson Tyler Dorcey & Malik Beasley. Now UCLA will focus on wings.

Cal's chances improve as other top ranked elite players make their commitments.
HoopDreams
Getting it done for the U.S.

Shocky1

"i am thrilled for roger to have the opportunity to represent the cal family on the pac 12's all star tour of china...it will be great to see him compete against some of the best basketball programs in china and face former bear max zhang...roger will have a great educational experience"

-cuonzo martin

"roger grew up in cameroon, speaks fluent french, is attending college in the united states and will be traveling to china...some serious **** is gonna be lost in translation"

-anonymous stoopid dumb azz cal fan
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lost+in+translation+more+than+this+video&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=42E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF042E8AAE7EAFCFC803CF0

the pac 12 team practiced for 2 days starting on aug 7th in san francisco & now is heading to china for 4 games in shanghai

ni hao

lost in translation#
spiritual gangster#

watch the video, roger is articulate, enthusiastic, intellectually curious about the opportunity to visit china's great wall & tiananmen square...and yeah, he's clearly put some time in with the nicodemus s&c program
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209608060&DB_OEM_ID=30100
Shocky1
the california golden bears are no strangers to adversity & being hurt...consider:

***beloved parent dies from brain cancer
***major injuries to multiple players that require long & painful rehabs
***parents divorced
***academically suspended
***unfavorably compared by scouts to aaron gordon & his non stop motor
***characterized by critics as a "classic overachiever"
***snickered by cynics as too jewish to keep up with pac 12 pgs
***regarded by most d1 colleges as too inexperienced playing bb coming from cameroon
***told by wildcat coaches to be too fat to play as a freshman
***regarded as too skinny to be an effective 4 & rebounder in the pac 12
***passed over for pt by coaches at missouri, minnesota & georgetown for other players
***wasted first 3 yrs of college stubbornly trying to be a stretch 4
***disrespected by other coaches by not guarding his outside shot
***overlooked by cal coaches despite proven ability to let it fly on 3 pters
***compared to cee lo green for failing to hustle back on d
***rejected by hometown ucla for other local guys
***spurned by johnny dawkins for the allen twins
***blasted by fans for sleepwalking in losing to usc
***defeated by dagger to the heart 3 pter in dallas
***turned away by nicky d & his crew
***saddened by farewells to beloved coaches
***mislabeled by the scouting services as a 7' project from england
***dismissed as too short, too filipino, too peruvian to play high d1 basketball
***regarded as not athletic enough to walk on at cal & play pac 12 bb
***steamrolled by opponents during a nightmare 2-26 season in the ivy league
***ignored by beyonce, rihanna & shakira for sr prom dates

it's true you know, what doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger

so the question remains, will the bears take these life experiences & use them to strengthen themselves into wiser & unbreakable individuals?

will the bears "find a way?"

cal family#
seasons of discovery#
hurt#

when u r hurt, u must find a way
Vineyardview
Meanwhile proving Shocky's point about Altman & Oregon

Adam Zagoria ‏tweets " Hard to know where @RayKasongo32 ends up at this point. Source says 2 other Big Ten schools can get him admitted."
Shocky1
too many academic issues w/not enough time to resolve them to officially trip/offer kasongo to berkeley

due diligence#
Shocky1

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-meet-top-2015-recruit-ivan-rabb/

bay area's finest#
sounds of summer#
Shocky1
the bears staff is very interested in attacking 6'4" 175 lbs 2015 canadian combo guard jalen poyser of leafy mississauga, ontario (which is also home of the vastly underrated toronto golf club which is the 3rd best course in canada after st georges & cabot links) who attended findlay prep (nevada)

poyser's recruitment is blowing up after making the all tournament team representing team canada at the nike global challenge in chicago:

game 1: 17 pts in 29 minutes
game 2: 17 pts in 26 minutes
game 3: 23 pts in 29 minutes
game 4: 25 pts in 37 minutes
42.5% fg
74% fts
32% 3 pters

jalen's only confirmed official visit at this time is to hawaii (sept 6th) & is also considering trips to cal, unlv, oklahoma, rhode island & dayton...more high majors will be contacting poyser as he has played himself into elite 4 star status

the combo scorer/distributor has made is clear that academics, his relationships with prospective college coaches & weather will be factors in his collegiate decision

cal family#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including canada)
Vineyardview
Quoting Mr. Fumble from his previous thread - the following is a more accurate representation of Jalen Poyser's prep BB backstory responding to the question " What did he accomplish at Athlete Institute in Orangeville, Ontario - What was the level of competition?

Mr. Fumble wrote, "He was highly heralded in Canada even before his partial year at Findlay. At Father Henry Carr in Mississauga (Toronto suburb) he was part of a very good team (with Dillon Brooks, who may be Oregon bound). NorthPoleHoops had him as the #5 Cdn in the Class of 2015.

When a spot opened up at Findlay he went down partway through the 12/13 year and had an up and down season.

From what I read he left Findlay at the end of the season for several reasons, including: 1) concerns that he wasn't getting the academic prep he needed (his Dad, who coached Tristan Thompson and Anthony Bennett, among others at the AAU level, is a teacher and seems to place a lot of emphasis on academics); 2) a coaching change at Findlay; and 3) being recruited over by new Findlay coach JYD (coincidentally, his former Mississauga HS teammate and long-time AAU teammate Dillon Brooks was one of JYD's first recruits at Findlay).

Anyway, AI was just starting up, in an effort to stem the increasing tide of top Cdn HS talent to the US, and he and Jamal Murray (top Cdn in Class of 2016) were the first two notable players to go there.

Re scheduling, I think they played a mix of Ontario high schools and US prep schools (they took several exhibition tours to the US). At one point there was talk of scheduling Findlay and Huntington, but I am not sure if that ended up happening. I just checked AI's website, but couldn't find any scheduling info or stats from last year.

His stock fell during the 13/14 season. Partly because the US services don't consider, or don't highly consider, kids playing HS ball in Canada, and partly b/c he just didn't play that well.

Then this summer he had a very good showing at Peach Jam, Adidas, the CIA Bounce exposure camp, and now the Nike Global Challenge. And he has gone from being offered by Idaho and Northern Arizona to (reportedly) Cal and Oklahoma."

His intention to visit Cal bas been acknowledged by Jaylen, his coach, his father, countless internet pundits, Rivals, and Cals staff.
HoopDreams
Cal knows who Haanif Cheatham is
Haanif Cheatham is visiting Cal this week
Haanif Cheatham knows who Cal is

But ESPN hasn't updated their database since July, and it doesn't list Cal
ESPN does list a who's who of college basketball

Haanif Cheatham is an elite basketball player

welcome to Cal
stu
Shocky1;842344110 said:

jalen's only confirmed official visit at this time is to hawaii (sept 6th) & is also considering trips to cal, unlv, oklahoma, rhode island & dayton

the combo scorer/distributor has made is clear that academics, his relationships with prospective college coaches & weather will be factors in his collegiate decision

Academics in Hawaii? In Las Vegas? Maybe if you major is dancing in leis or dancing on tables. Come to Cal for an education!
Shocky1
stu;842344146 said:

Academics in Hawaii? In Las Vegas? Maybe if you major is dancing in leis or dancing on tables. Come to Cal for an education!

stu, what are you talking about, dude?

there are lots of terrific career opportunities for unlv & hawaii grads

marquette grads also do pretty well too...wojo may call you 15 times a day while he's recruiting you but that doesn't mean employers are gonna do the same when you graduate from the harvard of milwaukee

the global economy is a fiercely competitive workplace that tremendously favors well educated & hard working individuals

don't be a dumb azz

no ****, sherlock#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
HoopDreams
shocky

You're always making big claims about Cal being one of the elite universities, even at the global level
but where's your proof?
How do you back up such lofty claims?

Shocky1;842344150 said:

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

oh, never mind...

Shocky1
new 2014 center for world university rankings:

1) harvard university
2) stanford university
3) massachusetts university of technology
4) university of cambridge
5) university of oxford
6) columbia university
7) university of california, berkeley
8) university of chicago
9) princeton university
10) yale university

http://cwur.org/2014/

don't be a dumb azz#

Shocky1
the global economy is a fiercely competitive marketplace that favors well educated & hard working individuals

guys who don't work hard end up with ****

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1

summer breezes in berkeley, california
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209607098

working out ain't fancy, who knew that, i knew that, i do dat, gonna put my name in bold

the grind#

the grind, episode two
http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209611213&DB_OEM_ID=30100
Shocky1
the bears staff is actively scouting 6' 155 lbs 2016 top 100 player jordan ford a fiery pg from folsom (sacramento) & an oakland soliders teammate of oscar frayer

jordan is from a close family as dad cuezar played baseball at uc santa barbara, mom ann encourages his strong academic work in the classroom & sister jennifer who is 3 years older used to kick his azz in basketball games

ford scored 22.6 ppg, 3.6 apg, 4.2 rpg & 2.4 spg in leading folsom to a 32-3 record...the bulldogs lost 63-54 in the division ii championship game at sleepy train arena to st john bosco despite 20 pts from their uber competitive leader

after a strong summer starting for the soliders, ford's recruitment is starting to pick up velocity with offers from numerous mid majors including pepperdine...with a strong academic profile, an undeniable will to compete & an unselfish approach to the game, and a tight family that attends all of his games, a potential future offer from the local #1 ranked public university in the world might be a simple solution to jordan's collegiate decision

cal family#
salute#
OdontoBear66
Wow. Obviously he gets the job done, but six feet and 155 pounds----hard to believe that works at the next level. Not speaking of the recruit, per se, who seems to have very good credentials, but sizing. Wow.
NYCGOBEARS
OdontoBear66;842344618 said:

Wow. Obviously he gets the job done, but six feet and 155 pounds----hard to believe that works at the next level. Not speaking of the recruit, per se, who seems to have very good credentials, but sizing. Wow.

He's 15 or 16? He'll fill out.
Shocky1

"dude, what are you talking about?"
-jerome randle, 2010 pac 12 mvp

"the heart knows things that the mind cannot begin to understand"
-dumb azz cal fan

cal family#
its a small world#
tsubamoto2001
OdontoBear66;842344618 said:

He hasn't even started his senior season. These kids are still growing and filling out. They're not in their late 20's. Most of them don't seriously lift weights yet. Once they do, they'll start to put on the pounds.
bearmanpg
tsubamoto2001;842344622 said:

He hasn't even started his senior season. These kids are still growing and filling out. They're not in their late 20's. Most of them don't seriously lift weights yet. Once they do, they'll start to put on the pounds.

He hasn't even started his JUNIOR season. I've seen him three times and he never disappoints. That game against St. John Bosco was against a team with not only Tyler Dorsey but Vance Jackson and UConn freshman Daniel Hamilton. He more than held his own against that competition.
Shocky1
bearmanpg;842344636 said:

He hasn't even started his JUNIOR season. I've seen him three times and he never disappoints. That game against St. John Bosco was against a team with not only Tyler Dorsey but Vance Jackson and UConn freshman Daniel Hamilton. He more than held his own against that competition.

bearmanpg, can you elaborate on ford's current skillset?
Shocky1

you go, girl#
stu
Shocky1;842344792 said:

you go, girl#

Print version:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/21/sports/being-a-girl-gives-mone-davis-an-edge-at-little-league-world-series.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSumSmallMediaHigh&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
bearmanpg
Shocky1;842344730 said:

bearmanpg, can you elaborate on ford's current skillset?

The skill set is there already........he is a good passer, outside shooter and can take the ball to the hole. He obviously needs to gain weight (get stronger) but he is still very young. The fact that he started for the Soldiers has to impress anyone who knows about AAU ball. I go to probably 25 to 30 high quality high school games a year and he was by far the best sophomore point I saw last year. One more thing......he doesn't force things or make the wrong decision very often.......a trait not seen with many sophomores.
ayetee11
Jordan Ford's highlights make him a must get. Especially when you realize he's only going into his junior year
Shocky1
took my blair waldorf fashionista daughters shay & taylor to the interpol concert at the marquee theatre in tempe tonite (school nite too, dad of the year)...shaylor live concert rules applied meaning dad can't stand by them unless invited to do so...oh well

interpol lead guitarist daniel kessler is an amazing talent that i've enjoyed watching perform in several countries...dude just connects with his guitar & the music

look, i don't wanna complain about my life but driving home with the top down thru the warm summer desert nite & the music still buzzing in my ears, i contemplated my life & its direction and came to the following realization

if cal is such a "dream school," how come i'm not the lead guitarist for interpol?

studying in school & learning **** is a total waste of time...i'll bet daniel kessler never even went to college

let's face facts:

***am i pro golfer?...nope, a good day at the links might generate a couple of hundred dollars

***can i do a handstand?...not even close, just a headstand...my yoga muse thinks i'm a hopeless crooked toed wildebeest

***has the cal monster class thread convinced ivan to become a bear?...not even gonna answer that one

***am i the lead guitarist for interpol?....**** no

throw away all your schoolbooks & follow your dreams

the university of california, beserkly=#1 rated public university in the world (for losers who lack the talent & vision to become the lead guitarist for interpol)

turn out the bright lights#
SFBearz
ayetee11;842344862 said:

Jordan Ford's highlights make him a must get. Especially when you realize he's only going into his junior year

This Sunday would be a good time to check out Jordan Ford in person, at the Nor Cal Clash. Rabb is scheduled to play as is Ben Kone, Carlos Johnson (now at El Cerrito), Paris Austin, Christian Terrell, and other Cal prospects.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.