cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,277,267 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

l to r, roger "the lion defender" moute a bidias, kingsley "upshaw jr" okoroh, jordan "man on fire" mathews, tyrone "2nd half is mine" wallace & "doc" kravish

the bears are flawed, so ******* what, that's the beauty of these guys (they're just like us)

the better conditioned team won tonite, you could see the fatigue/frustration in the eyes of the washington players in the 2nd half...the bears will not be outworked, the nicodemus s&c off season rigors are now paying off, our guys were still fresh at the end

the why i love lorenzo romar dept: cal has around 8 unsuccessful sequences against the athletic swarming washington zone d & lorenzo switches back to a man on man d & the bears score 54 points in the 2nd half

high electricity in the haas tonite, players & fans screaming from the rooftops, having fun together...kinda like an after hours party at the george v in paris

merci beaucoup

cal family#
concordtom
Shocky1;842432915 said:

the "why-i-love-lorenzo-romar" dept:
cal has around 8 unsuccessful sequences against the athletic swarming washington zone D & lorenzo switches back to a man on man d & the bears score 54 points in the 2nd half

No Kidding.
It wasn't broke.
But he fixed it nonetheless.
socaltownie
concordtom;842432934 said:

No Kidding.
It wasn't broke.
But he fixed it nonetheless.

If i remember he switched the first time we found David in the soft spot for a 10 foot baseline jumper. I do see why it would have been bad once Jordan started to find his stroke.
Shocky1
david kravish, the smartest bear of them all, scored 21 points on an efficient 10-16 fgs along with 10 boards, 3 assists & ZERO turnovers in 39 minutes

and yeah, he's also the lead singer for st lucia too

multiple#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842375950 said:

cuonzo martin is personally handling the recruitment of caleb swanigan, a top 10 2015 strongman from fort wayne, indiana...swanigan is known for his relentless rebounding motor & back to the basket power game along with a skillful soft touch from the perimeter with a nba future upside

caleb is 6'8" 275 lbs after losing 75 lbs from his days as a 6'4" 350 lbs middle schooler...at that time he left his family in utah to live with his current guardian roosevelt barnes jr, a former nfl player, who has mentored swanigan's healthier diet & dedicated cardio program

roosevelt barnes jr (also a 4 year player on the purdue basketball team) & cuonzo martin have a strong longtime friendship

swanigan has been offered by virtually every major program in the country including kentucky & local favorite michigan state (which is hedging its bet in the cb sweepstakes via izzo's active recruitment of wisconsin elite 5 henry ellenson)...the only official visit discussed is to surprisingly enough, chicago state, which was the 1st school to offer him back in the day but it has not been scheduled at this time...he is planning on unofficially visiting kentucky for their combine scouting practice on october 10th

dude is a smart guy, by working diligently in the classroom during summer school, swanigan has reclassified from the 2016 to the 2015 class...last season he had a 20 ppg & 12 rpg at homestead hs in fort wayne

caleb played on the usa team in dubai with bay area superstar ivan rabb & shot an unreal 69.6% for the victorious american team...both caleb & ivan have a lot in common from an outside interests (beyond basketball) & social responsibility agenda perspective...these guys will cannot be defined as dumb azz ballers

swanigan's in homes visits to date include cal, michigan state, kentucky, pittsburgh, ucla, arizona, notre dame, purdue, auburn, new mexico, missouri, north carolina state, michigan & alabama...he has recently visited both arizona & kentucky

diamond in the rough#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the midwest)

caleb swanigan scored 35 points with 15 boards as the homestead spartans world seriesed the marion giants 63-55
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][COLOR="#0000CD"]The return of David 'Doc' Kravish...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]shoots 10-16 and grabs 10 rebounds for a double-double[/SIZE]

[SIZE=6][COLOR="#0000CD"]...and Jordan 'Wyatt' Mathews[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]shoots from all over the court to notch 31 points
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]The gunslingers run the #21 Washington team out of town[/SIZE]

going4roses
only you shock lol

Go bears ... great way to bounce back
Shocky1
Shocky1;842343084 said:

knocked in a clutch 6 footer for par on the 18th hole at cypress point this morning as slim wadie & i halved our match with former cal golfer ken lloyd & cal's legendary golf coach steve desimone...we collected $ from des after our afternoon victory at spyglass hill...dude hates to lose

in my travels around the globe as one of a dozen individuals (and the youngest) to fully complete playing the golf magazine world top 100 courses list, cypress point remains an emotionally soaring ethereal & spiritual golfing experience...the visual senses are enlightened with an incomparable beauty reminiscent of the 1st time you saw a true love...not sure if the tears in my eyes are from the monterey peninsula mist or something else
[video=youtube;tEGFuXGHMdY][/video]

coach desimone has been named the national coach of the year and inducted into the ncga hall of fame after tirelessly building against all odds cal golf from a club sport with zero schollys into a national powerhouse (despite operating without a full complement of schollys, thx sandy) with a 2004 ncca championship trophy & the 2013 bears team that is considered the greatest team in the history of college golf after winning a ncaa record 12 tournaments (the old record was oklahoma state's 10 tournament wins)...steve is respected for graduating guys from cal's challenging world ranked undergrad haas biz school (my background) & launching bears into the professional golfing ranks

desimone is a former cal basketball player (deadly outside shooter) & good friends with mike & sarah montgomery...steve told me a year ago during a match at peninsula cc with sango that he strongly suspected that last season would be mike's final swan song & the private reasons behind his retirement

gotta love des

as part of my season long efforts to be part of the attendance solution (every bears basketball fan should try to bring at least 1 person with them to each home game at haas to do their part in building the cal fan base), i invited & sat by steve desimone last night as we battled washington

steve is very enthusiastic re: his opportunity to coach true freshman cal golf sensation sebastian crampton...dude shot a 66 in us open qualifying at harding park at age 16 & turned down stanford (unlike some dumb azz who became the world's #1 player before his life fell apart)...des thinks crampton could be as good as anybody who's ever played for cal if he can improve his wedge play with an unlimited collegiate & professional future

yeah, sebastian kinda looks like christian behrens but pretty sure cb can't launch drives 306 yards over fairway bunkers & lake...on the other hand, pretty sure sebastian (at 6' 160 lbs) can't take a huevos grande haas crowd explosion charge (truly my favorite play in cal basketball when cb goes beast mode & takes one for his teammates)

82gradDLSdad
Thanks Shocky. I seem to recall a golfer who never improved his wedge play and yet became the #1 golfer of all time. No, not TW...Jack Nicklaus. Great to hear about Cal golf continuing its winning ways. I was actually on the Cal golf team for 1 week in 1977...just before they cut the entire program. Great to see it now flourishing.

Shocky1;842433033 said:

as part of my season long efforts to be part of the attendance solution (every bears basketball fan should try to bring at least 1 person with them to each home game at haas to do their part in building the cal fan base), i invited & sat by steve desimone last night as we battled washington

steve is very enthusiastic re: his opportunity to coach true freshman cal golf sensation sebastian crampton...dude shot a 66 in us open qualifying at harding park at age 16 & turned down stanford (unlike some dumb azz who became the world's #1 player before his life fell apart)...des thinks crampton could be as good as anybody who's ever played for cal if he can improve his wedge play with an unlimited collegiate & professional future

yeah, sebastian kinda looks like christian behrens but pretty sure cb can't launch drives 306 yards over fairway bunkers & lake...on the other hand, pretty sure sebastian (at 6' 160 lbs) can't take a huevos grande haas crowd explosion charge (truly my favorite play in cal basketball when cb goes beast mode & takes one for his teammates)

Shocky1
Shocky1;842432589 said:

bad news: wannah bail has been declared academically ineligible leaving the bruins now with 8 scholly players

good news: even more shots for bryce now...in ucla's recent loss to alabama the final sequence as designed by dad steve was a kobe like jacked up off balance 25 footer with 3 opponents draped all over him while several bruins teammates were ignored despite being wide open...yeah, the shot missed the mark & the bruins lost their 5th game of the season

this is ucla basketball#

bad news: the let's fire stevie fan club keeps growing among bruins fans with ucla's 6th loss of the season to colorado

good news: bryce was able to jack up 16 shots as a shoot 1st pass 2nd point guard...yeah, making only 2 of the 16 and missing all 9 3 pointers is kinda besides the point

ruh roh#

bearsandgiants
82gradDLSdad;842433098 said:

Thanks Shocky. I seem to recall a golfer who never improved his wedge play and yet became the #1 golfer of all time. No, not TW...Jack Nicklaus. Great to hear about Cal golf continuing its winning ways. I was actually on the Cal golf team for 1 week in 1977...just before they cut the entire program. Great to see it now flourishing.

Imagine how many more majors the Golden Bear would have won on steroids.
82gradDLSdad
The Bear was not a steroids kind of guy...

bearsandgiants;842433165 said:

Imagine how many more majors the Golden Bear would have won on steroids.
NVGolfingBear
82gradDLSdad;842433098 said:

Jack didn't have a great wedge game but it wasn't bad...18 majors, etc.
HoopDreams
Cal 2016 commit, Oscar Frayer was at Haas watching the Bears beat the Huskies

Shocky1
went to the cal's women's game this afternoon as the bears won their pac 12 opener vs utah 67-49

pretty sure that new zealander penina davidson (who scored a career high 15 points with a skillful inside/outside game) is some kinda relative of mine

i dunno maybe i should move to auckland someday with its perfect moderate climate, friendly people & relaxed lifestyle...afterall the chief of the maori tribe told me at the kauri cliffs haka dance pictured below that i definitely got warrior blood in me

would definitely join titirangi golf club, an alistair mackenzie gem (the pasatiempo of new zealand)...just gotta remember to convert the meters to yards for clubbing purposes

the conversion rate from the us dollar to new zealand currency is pretty favorable so i'd probably get a pretty nice crib near the harbor

yeah, then all i would need is a yoga teacher

cal degree opens doors (worldwide) in life#
don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842399116 said:

the california golden bears 2016 class is gonna be led by uber athletic oscar frayer of moreau catholic & the oakland soliders & hopefully santa monica's jonah mathews too...this class will likely have a strong nor cal & california (and hopefully nevada too) presence of guys that are gonna be howlin' at the moon in berkeley at the #1 ranked public (#3 ranked overall) university in the world

salute#

jonah mathews will be visiting berkeley for sunday's washington state game at haas...jonah is a huge cal recruiting target priority

yeah, jonah's gotta big bro who can play a little basketball too

Shocky1
kendall smith (deer valley running mate of marcus lee) is transferring from unlv to cal state earthquake
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2015/01/smith-to-northridge.html
Shocky1
the cougars are led by the dynamic duo of #25 6'4" 210 lbs davonte lacy (16.6 ppg with .352 3 point% & 2.4 apg) & #24 6'10" 245 lbs josh hawkinson (15.3 ppt & 10.8 rpg), these guys can flat out play...if either one goes off, the bears could be in trouble

also expect off the charts energy from huge load #15 6'7" 240 lbs junior longus from bishop o'dowd

the cougs are a pretty good road team with wins at both rice & missouri state

the bears will have an opportunity to dominate the boards which would facilitate the up tempo transition fast break...the cougs are not a great shooting team so bears guards & wings gotta box out & chase down long rebounds

the washington victory won't mean **** if cal (and that includes its fans) doesn't absolutely bring it this afternoon

dgong
I'll be there and taking my brother, also a Cal grad and former assoc. director of the Pacific Film Archives when it was on Bancroft. Shocky, where are you sitting this time?
Shocky1
dgong;842433463 said:

I'll be there and taking my brother, also a Cal grad and former assoc. director of the Pacific Film Archives when it was on Bancroft. Shocky, where are you sitting this time?

i dunno, probably on my azz for pregame but then probably standing & screaming the rest of the time with the rest of the crazies that bleed blue & gold

let's be honest here, unless you incarcerated in san quentin or the sunday brunch chef at the claremont, there's absolutely no reason for you to not be at haas this afternoon...you didn't plan to go?...well change your ******* plans, live a little...watching the game on tv & posting on a game thread is for silly little bitches, don't be a silly little bitch

haas is your palace

roar like a bear#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]Mr. Lacy, meet Mr. Moute a Bidias[/SIZE]

Shocky1
down the street from central park is the radio city music hall, the site of the 2015 nba draft

jarnell stokes was the 35th pick overall of the memphis grizzlies in the 2014 nba draft

jordan mcrae was the 58th pick overall of the philadelphia sixers in the 2014 nba draft

cuonzo martin & his tennessee staff coached up both of these guys as volunteers on the long road to becoming nba draft choices...cuonzo (a former nba baller himself) is a terrific role model/mentor for young men wishing to work hard in fulfilling their nba & academic dreams

together we attack (both on the court & in the classroom)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
Shocky1
usc lost its 5th game of the season by 21 points this afternoon to colorado 86-65

while assistant coaches tony bland & jason hart are smooth recruiters with great storylines, there is zero evidence thus far that head coach andy endfield is even an average game day coach with 26 losses now during his year+ reign in south central

what about the promised dunk city excitement?...usc is likely gonna be the national leader among major conferences with the WORST attendance in ncaa men's basketball...it's true, nobody gives a **** about usc basketball in los angeles

next wednesday nite at 8:00 pm will be an opportunity to turn the usually empty galen center into bear territory...no doubt cal fans in so cal are gonna turn out in bear packs...yeah, you don't exactly have to call the usc ticket office about tix availability

this is usc basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842433462 said:

the cougars are led by the dynamic duo of #25 6'4" 210 lbs davonte lacy (16.6 ppg with .352 3 point% & 2.4 apg) & #24 6'10" 245 lbs josh hawkinson (15.3 ppt & 10.8 rpg), these guys can flat out play...if either one goes off, the bears could be in trouble

also expect off the charts energy from huge load #15 6'7" 240 lbs junior longus from bishop o'dowd

the cougs are a pretty good road team with wins at both rice & missouri state

the bears will have an opportunity to dominate the boards which would facilitate the up tempo transition fast break...the cougs are not a great shooting team so bears guards & wings gotta box out & chase down long rebounds

the washington victory won't mean **** if cal (and that includes its fans) doesn't absolutely bring it this afternoon

did not account for jordan railey scoring 17 points or the inside duo of bailey & hawkinson scoring 35 points vs the 3 bears bigs totaling only 9 points

love & respect what coach is doing with the program but when fighting for every point offensively, we can't afford any more technicals this season...discipline starts with the leader

off to los angeles, the 2 day gap between the usc & ucla games will be a + for a depth challenged bears squad

regroup#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842433832 said:

did not account for jordan railey scoring 17 points or the inside duo of bailey & hawkinson scoring 35 points vs the 3 bears bigs totaling only 9 points

love & respect what coach is doing with the program but when fighting for every point offensively, we can't afford any more technicals this season...discipline starts with the leader

off to los angeles, the 2 day gap between the usc & ucla games will be a + for a depth challenged bears squad

regroup#

Given the brain fart T the Cougs pulled and then the make up call on the other end I think everything balanced out there.
MisterNoodle
socaltownie;842433843 said:

Given the brain fart T the Cougs pulled and then the make up call on the other end I think everything balanced out there.

A player having a brain fart in the waning seconds of a close game when they havent won on the road in conference in two years is not at all surprising. The head coach brain fart was much worse.

Btw coach has been on the floor all year. It was a matter of time before he got T'd up.
socaltownie
MisterNoodle;842433847 said:

A player having a brain fart in the waning seconds of a close game when they havent won on the road in conference in two years is not at all surprising. The head coach brain fart was much worse.

Btw coach has been on the floor all year. It was a matter of time before he got T'd up.

As Monty said he probably WANTED to get t'ed to light a fire under the Bears. David was hacked on the play. I don't have a problem with the T. Though of course in retrospect it meant we lost by 1 rather than 3.
MisterNoodle
socaltownie;842433849 said:

Though of course in retrospect it meant we lost by 1 rather than 3.

Not necessarily. The endgame plays out differently if we don't give up those two points. You think we foul Lacy with 1.1 seconds if Jordan has just tied the game with a layup?
Shocky1
last season james harden attended the fresno state game & sat on the floor with his ferret faced steroid bodyguard wearing his balco black leather jacket standing directly behind harden's chair in order to protect the 6'5" 240 lbs nba baller from 4' little kids trying to get autographs or maybe beat him up or something

sat tonite next to klay thompson who brought along a couple of his wsu buddies...thompson took time to talk to his little fans & even posed for a cool selfie with my cute & spunky smiling machine niece bailee...at the end of the game, thompson told me he wanted the coug free throw shooter to intentionally brick the final free throw with 1.1 seconds which would've eliminated the accurate singer pass to mathew's for the desperation 40 footer at the buzzer...kinda funny how former cal catcher & current a's manager bob melvin also sat a couple of feet away & was ignored by the throng of fans (pretty sure bob doesn't worry about stuff like that)

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842427463 said:

herb sendek's days at asu are almost over (which is a shame because he's a good guy) after tonite's brutal 5th loss of the season in triple overtime 84-81 to the mediocre lehigh mountain hawks (5-5) at home

sun devils recruits should note that any offers from herbie are almost null & void at this point

sorry

herbie death watch: asu loses 6th game of the season to arizona

a sun devil basketball scholly offer is about as useful as a kardashian library card

sorry

south bender
Shocky1;842433936 said:

.at the end of the game, thompson told me he wanted the coug free throw shooter to intentionally brick the final free throw with 1.1 seconds which would've eliminated the accurate singer pass to mathew's for the desperation 40 footer at the buzzer.

I agree with the proposed strategy of intentially missing the free throw. I said exactly that to my son at the game.
concordtom
I agree with south bender
Hard to envision a rebound and full court basket in 1.1 second.
Didn't matter though.
concordtom
Shocky1;842433948 said:

herbie death watch: asu loses 6th game of the season to arizona

a sun devil basketball scholly offer is about as useful as a kardashian library card

sorry

these poor girls are anorexic. Reminds me of SDSU culture. Sad. Not sexy. Well, maybe the one getting her clothes pulled off in the first picture, then reduced to the background in the second. She's got some meat on the thigh. maybe that one in the background with her is her twin. But still...
sluggo_Cal
concordtom;842433995 said:

I agree with south bender
Hard to envision a rebound and full court basket in 1.1 second.
Didn't matter though.

This is a good strategy IF the other team does not have a timeout. Cal had one and called it, as they would have on a rebound. After a miss, they would have had a sideline out of bounds play that would allow them to get a shot, and they would have won if this shot went in. The right strategy was to make the shot.

Sluggo
concordtom
sluggo_Cal;842434144 said:

This is a good strategy IF the other team does not have a timeout. Cal had one and called it, as they would have on a rebound. After a miss, they would have had a sideline out of bounds play that would allow them to get a shot, and they would have won if this shot went in. The right strategy was to make the shot.

Sluggo

This is a bit of idiot's delight, b/c WSU was going to win in any case after we failed to steal the inbounds pass and fouled with 1.1 left.
So, let's say he misses the shot, we grab it, and call TO. How many tenths of a second are coming off the clock?
And then it's not the NBA where you advance the ball to midcourt.
I hadn't considered a TO, so I'll side with you on this one. But the game was lost either way.
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.