cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,863 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

[SIZE=5]CBS SPORTS PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE PREDICTIONS (5 man team): [COLOR="#0000CD"]Ivan Rabb, California[/COLOR][/SIZE]

south bender
HoopDreams;842495694 said:

[SIZE=5]CBS SPORTS PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE PREDICTIONS (5 man team): [COLOR="#0000CD"]Ivan Rabb, California[/COLOR][/SIZE]

What about Jaylen?
petalumabear
concordtom;842495315 said:

Hilarious turn of events.

must have been the old payola....
TheSouseFamily
concordtom;842495654 said:

99only.com
7919 E Thomas Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

99only.com
8940 E. Indian Bend Road
Scottsdale, AZ, 85250

www.beararmsaz.com
Shea Scottsdale Shopping Center, 10321 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

www.scottsdalegunclub.com
14860 N Northsight Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ

www.scottsdale-guns.com
9393 N 90th St
Scottsdale, AZ

www.speedycash.com
7202 E McDowell Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

https://www.acecashexpress.com/locations/arizona/scottsdale
1029 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

Bosa Donuts
7444 E McDowell Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

Dunkin' Donuts
www.dunkindonuts.com
2910 N. Hayden Rd
Scottsdale, AZ
or
10629 N. Scottsdale Road
Suite #101, Shea Scottsdale Shopping Center, Scottsdale, AZ

Retirement Communities:

Maravilla Scottsdale
www.srgseniorliving.com
7325 E Princess Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ

...oh god, too many to even try to list...

Unhealthy buffets serving dog food?
Sh*t, Charles Barkley lives in Scottsdale, doesn't he? That settles that one right there.

Lol. You've got way too much time on your hands, friend.
NYCGOBEARS
petalumabear;842495706 said:

Nope. Just good old fashioned fence mending.
Vandalus
Shocky1;842495577 said:

vandy, stone canyon in the catalina foothills is a borderline usa top 100 course, a tighter routing would make walking 18 holes more enjoyable...pictured below is short, drivable par 4 17th hole which is a terrific risk/reward gem

when you say your dad "never" goes into tucson, i believe you

I'll give him your recommendation. I need to get out there to play a round... maybe I'll wait until fall. :p
Shocky1
Shocky1;842473934 said:

i dunno, kinda looks like sean miller needs to quit eating them glazed donuts for breakfast

tuscon is a dump#

coach miller: "rondae, did you eat any of my maples bars during the last time out, if you did i will kick your azz"

rondae (being held back by the ref): "look pudgy boy, i didn't eat your heart attack grenades, do you think i wanna look like you someday?...i'm so out of here after this season"

dude with the purple shirt: "****, i hope nobody rats me out, i thought they were for jeff goodman and jason scheer"

this is arizona basketball#
Vandalus
petalumabear;842495706 said:

The answer lies within... a styrofoam coffee cup.
concordtom
TheSouseFamily;842495712 said:

Lol. You've got way too much time on your hands, friend.

Sad, but true.
One of these days that situation will be rectified and I'm gonna go all SFCityBear on you!
:p
concordtom
HoopDreams;842495694 said:

I have a hard time envisioning a situation where Wallace is not first team all conference. Dude is crazy if he didn't include him.
joe amos yaks
concordtom;842495654 said:

99only.com
7919 E Thomas Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

99only.com
8940 E. Indian Bend Road
Scottsdale, AZ, 85250

www.beararmsaz.com
Shea Scottsdale Shopping Center, 10321 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

www.scottsdalegunclub.com
14860 N Northsight Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ

www.scottsdale-guns.com
9393 N 90th St
Scottsdale, AZ

www.speedycash.com
7202 E McDowell Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

https://www.acecashexpress.com/locations/arizona/scottsdale
1029 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

Bosa Donuts
7444 E McDowell Rd
Scottsdale, AZ

Dunkin' Donuts
www.dunkindonuts.com
2910 N. Hayden Rd
Scottsdale, AZ
or
10629 N. Scottsdale Road
Suite #101, Shea Scottsdale Shopping Center, Scottsdale, AZ

Retirement Communities:

Maravilla Scottsdale
www.srgseniorliving.com
7325 E Princess Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ

...oh god, too many to even try to list...

Unhealthy buffets serving dog food?
Sh*t, Charles Barkley lives in Scottsdale, doesn't he? That settles that one right there.

Coach Miller calls for delivery from LaMar's Donuts, Phoenix, AZ.

http://www.lamars.com/
Big C
OaktownBear;842495614 said:

You would think a reporter would be careful about using the word "slander". Very specific legal meaning that anyone in the media should be very familiar with and should be very careful about throwing around.

For instance, accusing a reporter of slander when they didn't slander anyone could be slander.

The incident that Nam Le is referring to was not remotely slander. It was opinion that was open to criticism, but it was not slander.

Yeah, that whole incident reeked of someone who thought they might have a 10% chance of getting into her pants (% chance overestimated twenty-fold) and then, maybe, if he were to come to her defense like a knight in shining armor, maybe his chances might go up almost to 20%.

Wait... Oh ****: Did I just commit slander?!?
GMP
Big C_Cal;842495854 said:

Yeah, that whole incident reeked of someone who thought they might have a 10% chance of getting into her pants (% chance overestimated twenty-fold) and then, maybe, if he were to come to her defense like a knight in shining armor, maybe his chances might go up almost to 20%.

Really poor take. Many people thought the "reporterette" comment was sexist and in poor taste. I was outspoken about it, as were others. That does not mean I wanted to "get in her pants". I've never even met her. That does not mean Nam wanted to "get in her pants", either. It means he saw something inappropriate and commented on it, much to his short-term detriment.

Edit to add: We all make mistakes and say things that we wish we hadn't. I have no idea if Moraga regrets his comment, but I certainly don't hold the comment against him, either way. I'm not sure why some seem to hold Nam's stance against him. Granted, his legal definition of "slander" is off the mark, and his tweet is what dredged this conversation up.
beeasyed
Big C_Cal;842495854 said:

no, just plain ol' stupidity on the internet.
Cal Geek
Not sure slander, but certainly inappropriate.
EDIT: Inappropriate comments in this thread.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842488105 said:

sammy is considered a gym rat, he's gonna be fine

sam told me at the team banquet that the washington 3 point game winning moneyball on the relief changed everything, lifted a huge weight off his shoulders...he assured me he's gonna knock down at least 70%+ on free throws next season & "that's absolutely necessary at the end of games"

singer will go home to miami for a few weeks after finals & then return to berkeley for the team activities prior to the australia trip in mid august

dude is a bb player, just leave him some gym keys for his nighttime workouts...sam singer will not be outworked

the grind#

make no mistake about, singer is always gonna be a raider, a ransom everglades raider

raiders bear (kinda like ivan & fallon)#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842496008 said:

make no mistake about, singer is always gonna be a raider, a ransom everglades raider

raiders bear (kinda like ivan & fallon)#

raiders bear. The name of this recruiting class is, raiders bear.

All lower case

🙈😜😘
Holmoephobic
grandmastapoop;842495864 said:

Really poor take. Many people thought the "reporterette" comment was sexist and in poor taste. I was outspoken about it, as were others. That does not mean I wanted to "get in her pants". I've never even met her. That does not mean Nam wanted to "get in her pants", either. It means he saw something inappropriate and commented on it, much to his short-term detriment.

Edit to add: We all make mistakes and say things that we wish we hadn't. I have no idea if Moraga regrets his comment, but I certainly don't hold the comment against him, either way. I'm not sure why some seem to hold Nam's stance against him. Granted, his legal definition of "slander" is off the mark, and his tweet is what dredged this conversation up.

+1 Thanks for capturing my thoughts and saving me the time.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842494542 said:

there is a top secret document (those who have seen it are sworn to secrecy & gotta learn confidential codes & **** like that) that details coach martin's plan for the upcoming season's 13 schollys

be assured that nobody is gonna be run off, coach martin's family approach involves transparency & compassion for those involved

even oski has not been allowed to review this plan, some may think its very existence is a myth (like the loch ness monster or jabari bird playing defense) but trust me, it exists

this document is referenced in the inner circle of the cal basketall program as "the lisbon plan"

today's twitter by arizona grad & dumb azz andy schmidt are just speculation on his part, he has not seen the lisbon plan

andy schmidt=dan dakich=joe davidson
BearlyCareAnymore
grandmastapoop;842495864 said:

My issues with Nam at the time were:

1. It was pretty patronizing - Lindsay can take care of herself
2. He didn't just comment. He went off. He completely blew the thing out of proportion. The comment would have barely registered if he didn't come in on his white horse. I also didn't think it was one of Moraga's more thought out comments, but the way Nam handled it, he gave Moraga no way to walk it back. There were many ways Nam could have dealt with the situation diplomatically, gotten his point across, and maybe they all walk away smiling. He could have used humor. He could have used tact. Instead he acted like someone had just called his sister a ho and he needed to take it outside to avenge her honor. His heart may have been in the right place, but his response was very immature.

My issues now are:

1. I can't believe this much later he is patting himself on the back for his clumsy response. And as you point out, all it did was dredge up the conversation, which might be what he wants.

2. Seriously, his using the term slander to describe another reporter makes me think that as a reporter he is a lightweight who doesn't understand the implication of the word. That is a big deal and I struggle with the concept that anyone reasonably trained in journalism would use that term so loosely. It was in no way slander, not in a legal definition or any other definition.
gobears725
OaktownBear;842496074 said:

2. He didn't just comment. He went off. He completely blew the thing out of proportion. The comment would have barely registered if he didn't come in on his white horse. I also didn't think it was one of Moraga's more thought out comments, but the way Nam handled it, he gave Moraga no way to walk it back. There were many ways Nam could have dealt with the situation diplomatically, gotten his point across, and maybe they all walk away smiling. He could have used humor. He could have used tact. Instead he acted like someone had just called his sister a ho and he needed to take it outside to avenge her honor. His heart may have been in the right place, but his response was very immature.

My issues now are:

1. I can't believe this much later he is patting himself on the back for his clumsy response. And as you point out, all it did was dredge up the conversation, which might be what he wants.

2. Seriously, his using the term slander to describe another reporter makes me think that as a reporter he is a lightweight who doesn't understand the implication of the word. That is a big deal and I struggle with the concept that anyone reasonably trained in journalism would use that term so loosely. It was in no way slander, not in a legal definition or any other definition.

between that and i mean this is the exact definition of throwing stones in a glass house. every guy on this board has said something sexist before if not quite often and a lot of times in front of and to our significant others. the comment walks the line of guy talk, though probably a little out of line.
GMP

My issues now are:

I don't disagree with what you've said. I just don't think Big C's post was in good taste
Shocky1
big sauce, when you officially visited arizona in october 2014, did coach miller tell you that:

"Cal can win the national championship"?

this **** is getting live

http://pac-12.com/videos/cuonzo-martin-talks-future-cal-basketball

the magic of haas#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842490415 said:

you are ok going to an academically mediocre university that will not adequately prepare you to compete in today's fiercely competitive global economy that favors those with exceptional educations...but there's nothing wrong with being a dumb azz, we're not here to judge...somebody's gotta clean my pool, thx trevor (an arizona grad)

coach cal is all business (he doesn't even pretend he's interested in any personal relationship with you) & emphasized the following key factors of the kentucky nba development factory during the official visits for jaylen & ivan:

*****playing 14-19 minutes per game will prepare you for the nba & coming off the bench cold
*****sharing playing time & one basketball with a dozen mcdonald all americans that all ruthlessly want your valuable playing time is an authentic replication of the cruel nba biz...the strongest predators will win out in the long run
*****the uber lux kentucky basketball dorms which are designed to minimize a player's unnecessary interactions with college students...if you wanna see students, you'll see them bundled up & lining up in the snow 3 hours before your games at rupp
*****an unlimited # of twitter followers & groupies
*****the state of the art kentucky basketball std health clinic which is open 24/7
*****seminars on important nba topics like the proper stowing of firearms in your vehicle for your personal safety
*****a reaffirmation that "reading books and **** like that is a total waste of time" in preparing yourself for the nba draft
*****financial advice re: the economic dangers of giving back too much to your high school & community instead of funneling money into your lavish nba cribs mansion with a tricked out game room
*****criminal defense firm near campus with experienced barristers "in case some bitch gets out of line"...you are legally entitled to a strong pimp hand at the trap house
*****the benefits of distance (2,382 miles from oakland to lexington) in order to "block out distractions like your mom & younger brother"

coach cal is the man#

big sauce, let's compare kentucky vs cal, ok?

teammates:
kentucky-talented basketball players that wanna play basketball on a basketball court with a basketball
cal-ivan & jaylen

coaches:
kentucky-coach cal is outstanding, basketball facilities (not those for academics) are 1st class
cal-coach wyking & coach martin are gonna demonstrate/grind with you on the court & coach nicodemus knows his **** & his enthusiasm is off the charts

weather:
kentucky-nasty hot & humid in the summer, freezing cold azz in the winter
cal-year round outdoor cali weather, just ask ivan

diversity:
kentucky-not much unless you count rednecks
cal-bay area is the melting pot of the universe

academics:
kentucky-if you get injured, a degree will set you up nicely to return to ft wayne to become a shift supervisor at the steak & shake on coldwater
cal-#1 ranked public university in the world will open an infinite number of doors once basketball is done with you

national championship:
kentucky-will compete for the final four in 2015
cal-will compete for the final four in 2015
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842496142 said:

big sauce, let's compare kentucky vs cal, ok?

teammates:
kentucky-talented basketball players that wanna play basketball on a basketball court with a basketball
cal-ivan & jaylen

coaches:
kentucky-coach cal is outstanding, basketball facilities (not academic) are 1st class
cal-coach wyking & coach martin are gonna demonstrate/grind with you on the court & coach nicodemus knows his **** & his enthusiasm is off the charts

weather:
kentucky-nasty hot & humid in the summer, freezing cold azz in the winter
cal-year round outdoor cali weather, just ask ivan

diversity:
kentucky-not much unless you count rednecks
cal-bay area is the melting pot of the universe

academics:
kentucky-if you get injured, a degree will set you up nicely to return to ft wayne to become a shift supervisor at the steak & shake on coldwater
cal-#1 ranked public university in the world will open an infinite number of days once basketball is done with you

national championship:
kentucky-will compete for the final four in 2015
cal-will compete for the final four in 2015

Getting soft, Shocky! How could you forget to mention that Kentucky recently placed 50th in a Gallup survey for best states for physical and emotional well-being?
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Tony Gonzalez[/COLOR] was added to the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame

He was a two-star athlete at Cal

In basketball, he lead the team to the Sweet Sixteen, and in football he earned first-team All-American

He went to the NFL and was the greatest tight end in the history of the league smashing all records in receiving and yards and touchdowns[/SIZE]

Shocky1

cal guys often get the girl of their dreams

yeah, october does yoga 6 days a week...she's not on the dunkin' donuts diet like sean miller

fat friend drives a mini van#
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842496146 said:

Getting soft, Shocky! How could you forget to mention that Kentucky recently placed 50th in a Gallup survey for best states for physical and emotional well-being?

souse, let's be real here, nobody every confused california with kentucky...unless they were at a trap house in lexington

HoopDreams

Shocky1
Shocky1;842460528 said:

i've noted numerous times in this cal's monster class thread that the upward trajectory of this season's california golden bears is limited by the lack of alpha males, an edginess, a **** *** attitude...the guy with the toughest mental mindset can't be the head coach (or some dumb azz fan), it's gotta be a fearless leader on the court

davon dillard is taking an official visit to cal this weekend along with fellow indianan big sauce & young ivee, he could be one of those alpha males

dillard is a late emerging 3 star 6'5" 205 lbs wing from our savior american school in new york but his mom kaliah baker (davon's dad died in 2005, check out his son's honorary tat in the foto above) is raising his 2 younger sisters & 1 younger brother back home in gary, indiana...his blue chip finalists include cal, creighton (scheduled to take an official visit), indiana, purdue & pittsburgh...davon's lead recruiter for the bears is coach webster who grew up with davon's mom in illinois

davon is an aggressive, athletic wing that plays in a relentless basket attacking mode that also facilitates his teammates with creative passes & knocks down open 3 pointers...his physical style of play would bring a different & necessary element to the bears wings, he would complement (and push) jabari & jordan

the bears coaching staff has throughly checked out dillard after a bloody altercation with another player during his junior year...he's a good kid that would benefit from coach martin & coach webster's mentorship in becoming a man that takes care of his business in the right way...davon has a 3.0+ gpa & hopes to be a role model to his younger sisters & brother in becoming the 1st person in his family to graduate from college

like coach martin growing up in east st louis, davon grew up in tough circumstances with food stamps in gary

dillard's offer from the cal staff is actionable, he's a key priority for 2015 along with mcdonalds all americans rabb, swanigan & brown

davon's other collegiate finalists all got miserable cold azz weather, he's gonna find out this weekend that cali isn't heavy jacket weather

cal family#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public (#3 overall) university in the world

the cal staff is working to resolve davon's clearance with the ncca...the academic holdup is twofold:

1) there are questions re: the academic credibility of our savior new american school in new york
2) transcripts challenges with 3 different high schools

dillard is a key member of cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) & these issues predate caleb swanigan's decommitment from michigan state

it is probably not in davon's best interests to miss a significant portion of the preseason next year like brandon chauca did this year...if that is the case, dillard could reclassify to 2016

it is fully expected that davon dillard will become a california golden bear & graduate from the #1 public university in the world

patience/determination#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842425141 said:

hey boalt, you're not gonna believe it but there's a story behind them bad sneakers

following conversation at a street corner near union square in the city during a cal football weekend late this fall with shaylor (shay & taylor):

taylor: dad, do you really want the diamonds are forever class to happen at cal?

me: of course i do, sweetie

shay: then let's go to yves st laurent now

me: why would we do that?

taylor: you have no fashion sense, you need to get the kanye sunglasses, skinny jeans & boots at yves st laurent, how else will ivan know you're really serious about him going to cal

me: wow

shay: right, don't you always tell us to follow our dreams?...to never let any obstacles get in the way of achieving our goals?...to outwork everyone?

me: right, why then do i have the feeling you guys are plotting against me right now?

taylor (ignoring my comment): then let's go to yves st laurent right now, dad, the time is now

shay: plus kim kardashian will know you're serious about her too

taylor (winking at shay): kim will want to go to yoga class with you all the time if you get the outfit

me: really?

shay: (winking at taylor): and kim will probably want you to teach her how to play golf too...everyone knows she's done with kanye, you'll be the next kanye

me: and you guys don't want anything at the store, right?

taylor: well, now that you mention it, we both could use new jackets

shay (batting her eyelashes): but only if you love us. daddy

me: whatever

shay: does this mean you're all in for cal basketball?

me (with a sigh): yes

taylor (grinning at shay): let's do this!

shay: go bears!

taylor: let it fly!

shay: dad, trust me, ivan's going to be very excited

taylor: we always knew that you weren't a dumb azz

shay & taylor (loudly singing): diamonds are forever, diamonds are forever and evaaaah!!!

and they proceeded to link arms with me as we briskly walked up geary street to ysl (with my credit cards)

ambushed (trap game)#

kayne is trying to hold off kim from dropping his sorry broken down azz for me

a honorary doctorate from the chicago institute of arts is a good start, dr west

well educated, well respected#
Beardog26

My issues now are:

Very well said, OTB. Nam has gone out of his way on separate occasions spread over a couple years to make himself look first silly, then petty and ignorant.
MoragaBear
Staff
I apologized to her in person later that week after a Cal practice and told her I never should've commented on her.

I completely understand how my "reporterette" comment was perceived by those that took offense to it. I tried to explain in that thread that it was a term used amongst the media to describe Scout's marketing strategy of hiring a lot of attractive young reporters in an attempt to draw out recruits in interviews and it's been largely successful. I thought she still worked with Scout but apparently that was a short stint.

I also went on to describe in that thread the high level of respect I have for women in sports media. They bring a different perspective than men do and it's always good to hear other styles and voices in sports media.

What inspired me to make the ill-advised comment was some of the events that took place at Pac-12 media day earlier that week but I never should've said anything at all, especially using a term that in many people's minds would come across as sexist. It's an inappropriate term.

It's been my policy ever since mixing it up with AW Prince with Rivals years ago to never comment on Cal scout and rivals writers and outside of that incident, I never have, in chat or on the boards. There's just nothing good that can come from it. That includes veiled references, etc.

The need to make the whole Top 5 decision tweet a couple years later? Okay, whatever. This could've all been dealt with offline and I would've removed my comments, no question.

Whatever the case, on my end of the equation, I was wrong.
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842496192 said:

souse, let's be real here, nobody every confused california with kentucky...unless they were at a trap house in lexington

Love that photo of the Lyon steps. I used to live at the bottom. Some of my best memories were in that neighborhood.
Shocky1

First Page Last Page
Page 193 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.