cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,275,768 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[SIZE=5]junior guard [COLOR="#0000CD"]Sam Singer[/COLOR] getting more assertive and stronger, with improved shooting
loved how he attacked the baskets on fast breaks and finished strong
absolutely plays for the success of the TEAM[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal and Pac12 POY [COLOR="#0000CD"]Allen Crabbe[/COLOR] is killing it in the League

Tonight he had 18 points on 57% shooting
in games he played for 30+ minutes he's scoring 16 points/game[/SIZE]

Shocky1

shay & i walked/roamed downtown portland tonite with small bites at 2 tasty food trucks, voodoo donuts (shared one of the crazy guy chocolate glazed treats) & powell's bookstore before heading back to our corner room at the nines

you cannot visit the pacific northwest without a stop at voodoo, just ask homer (and alan)

portlandia#
concordtom
Shocky1;842630055 said:

shay & i are flying to portland to check out the downtown food truck scene (and maybe share a voodoo donut) tonite, she really enjoyed the insane energy at the st marys game at haas & is looking forward to yelling for the bears tomorrow nite vs oregon state in corvallis with her crazy azz dad

yeah, shay & me are real friends

I approve of this post, and wish you both a wonderful time!
Awesome for you to spend this time with your kids. Congrats!
Shocky1
utah (12-4/1-2) edged colorado (12-4/1-2) 56-54 despite the buffs getting a game high 21 points from the best guy in the pac 12 you've never heard of george king
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582692 said:

team: oregon state beavers

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 6th place

coach: wayne "who's your daddy" tinkle

what you need to know about tinkle: wayne's daughter elle plays at gonzaga & daughter joslyn plays at stanford

what up in corvallis?: the beavs return everybody including senior point guard gary payton ii (13.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg & 3.2 apg), malcolm dunvivier (10.7 ppg & 3.5 apg), victor robbins (10.3 ppg), berkeley's langston morris-walker (9.3 ppg & 4.6 rpg), jarmal reid (8.3 ppg) & olaf schaftenaar (7.8 ppg) plus tinkle's son tres & assistant coach stephen thompson's son jr (whose recruitment wisely ended by the cal staff when dad took the job in corvallis), both are top 100 2015 recruits...the beavs play fundamentally sound defense but their abysmal team rebounding (other than payton) will hold them back, osu is gonna be tough when the final score for both teams is in the 50s & 60s

what this means for the bears: cal will need to push tempo vs the methodical osu, the new 30 second clock rule will not help the deliberate beavs

oregon state is 10-3/1-1 including a 70-53 victory over rival oregon at gill coliseum last sunday, they are a cohesive well coached team

the beavers live & die with 6'3" 180 lbs gary payton ii (16.8 ppg with only 32% on 3 pointers, 8.1 rpg, 5.2 apg & 2.4 spg) who along with t-wall are the players with the most diversified skill sets in the pac 12...osu also got freshman coach's son 6'8" 220 lbs tres tinkle (11.9 ppg with only 29% on 3 pointers & 4.9 rpg), freshman assistant coach's son 6'4" 170 lbs stephen thompson jr (9.6 ppg with a team high 41.5% on 3 pointers), 6'10" 240 lbs drew eubanks (8.5 ppg with a lethal 62.3% on fgs & 4.7 rpg), 6'10" 235 lbs olaf schaftennar (7.8 ppg & 3.7 rpg0, 6'2" 210 lbs malcolm dunvivier (7.1 ppg) & former berkeley high school 6'5" 215 lbs langston morris-walker (6.8 ppg & 3.5 rpg)

the gameplan for the bears is simple, cal can win this game if they pound oregon state on the boards & attack the basket while matching gpii's energy

let's do this#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842629353 said:

oregon state is #159 in the nation in rebounding margin at +1.5 rebounds per game (37.3 per game vs 35.8 by opponents)

cal is #18 in the nation in rebounding margin at +9.5 rebounds per game (41.7 per game vs 32.2 by opponents)

the beavers leading rebounder by a wide margin is 6'3" 180 lbs gary payton at 8.0 rpg, they are vulnerable on the boards

if young ivee & jaylen can stay out of foul trouble (gotta be smart & pick your moments), they will have significant posting up & lob pass opportunities against less athletic defenders...t-wall, j mat & the bird should also be able to attack the basketball like stanford in exploiting the beavers lack of athleticism other than payton

the bears can win saturday nite's battle by pounding the beavers on the boards & attacking the basket, this is not complicated

are the mute sorry broken down candy azz soft bears or the angry bad azz bears gonna compete in corvallis?

let's do this#

the cal coaching staff is apparently gonna skip all team meetings today & instead just sleep in until noon and then text everybody this cal's monster class gameplan

makes sense to me
oskidunker
Shockys the man!
ibelieveNyou
Shocky1;842630055 said:

shay & i are flying to portland to check out the downtown food truck scene (and maybe share a voodoo donut) tonite, she really enjoyed the insane energy at the st marys game at haas & is looking forward to yelling for the bears tomorrow nite vs oregon state in corvallis with her crazy azz dad

yeah, shay & me are real friends

Just have fun - And remember it's GO BEARS
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]if Berkeley is at the center of the universe, where is Corvallis?
[/SIZE]

CalAlumnus13
Shocky1;842630172 said:

shay & i walked/roamed downtown portland tonite with small bites at 2 tasty food trucks, voodoo donuts (shared one of the crazy guy chocolate glazed treats) & powell's bookstore before heading back to our corner room at the nines

Did you pick up some with sprinkles for your boy Sean Miller?
Shocky1
CalAlumnus13;842630339 said:

Did you pick up some with sprinkles for your boy Sean Miller?

what do you think?

jumbo multi assortment gift box, baby

the donut boy of tucson (36 inch waist)#
Shocky1
shay got gameday ready at benefit located in the historic macys building next door, we're ready to roll now (just need some sushi, maybe a beef anago tenderloin roll)

the bear's don't gotta play perfect basketball, that's not gonna happen (and that's not necessary)...t-wall gotta provide senior leadership & keep his guys loose playing like little kids playing basketball on the playground with their best friends...this team plays its best when everybody (including the coaches, staff & players-the entire bench) is loud & having fun

i dunno make kam could do so sponge bob square pants imitations or something on the bus ride to gill coliseum

laughing is a good thing (unless you got toilet paper hanging from your azz)#:headbang
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]The Pac12 has the No.2 RPI
9 Pac12 teams are in the top 50 RPI
Every game is a war
The conference is a dog fight[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Crabbe supporting the Bears, and his former teammate, Tyrone[/SIZE]

ThesePretzels
He's really embraced that Pacific Northwest, lumberjack look.

At least it's better than Westbrook's attire.

HoopDreams;842630645 said:

[SIZE=5]Crabbe supporting the Bears, and his former teammate, Tyrone[/SIZE]

OdontoBear66
Not a very pretty loss tonight, unless you like individual players doing super things. We have tons of talent, much less so as far as "team" is concerned. Not a pretty product on the court.

I just do not see the ratings we have on some of our players. Biggest for instance is that Jaylen Brown is so good, such a beast, but he does so many things poorly for his "rating", if you will. Free throw stats are no longer one game, but mounting. Driving into trouble and trying to do too much is a huge negative. Yes, the counter is look at what he does well, but yes, he is supposed to be the #2 recruit out of HS. I can't imagine these mistakes will be taken lightly by the league. You can't play out of control (that can be learned), but if your game is driving the hoop, you better be able to shoot over 50% FTs. Ty Wallace shows many of his own warts, but is absolutely amazing in some of the stuff he does.

So what am I trying to say, or point out. Look on the other side. I saw GP II play a consistent, even game---not out of control, not missing FTs, etc. And all three of the players are NBA ready for next year?????
CalEnviroLaw
OdontoBear66;842630666 said:

Not a very pretty loss tonight, unless you like individual players doing super things. We have tons of talent, much less so as far as "team" is concerned. Not a pretty product on the court.

I just do not see the ratings we have on some of our players. Biggest for instance is that Jaylen Brown is so good, such a beast, but he does so many things poorly for his "rating", if you will. Free throw stats are no longer one game, but mounting. Driving into trouble and trying to do too much is a huge negative. Yes, the counter is look at what he does well, but yes, he is supposed to be the #2 recruit out of HS. I can't imagine these mistakes will be taken lightly by the league. You can't play out of control (that can be learned), but if your game is driving the hoop, you better be able to shoot over 50% FTs. Ty Wallace shows many of his own warts, but is absolutely amazing in some of the stuff he does.

So what am I trying to say, or point out. Look on the other side. I saw GP II play a consistent, even game---not out of control, not missing FTs, etc. And all three of the players are NBA ready for next year?????

Yeah, we look like an AAU all-star team, which is kind of what we are, actually. Tough job for coach Martin to make a team out of these guys.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6]throw it down, throw it down[/SIZE]
[SIZE=7]goodness gracious, this guy is spectacular[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#00FF00"][COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]http://es.pn/1OYWJqA[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Shocky1
the bears competed tonite with a mentally courageous comeback but could not overcome the 13 point deficit that resulted from turnovers (16 for the game vs only 8 for gpis's beavers) caused by too much dribbling & not enough passing, scoring opportunities down low were not exploited

shay & i sat by the original cal's monster class player alan crabbe & were impressed with his genuine graciousness with those seeking selfies with him, that's an admirable quality to extend yourself to others...unfortunately the bears on the court did not facilitate each other enough to win the game, guys gotta make each other better

if you want to support the cal basketball program, i would encourage you to start planning & get tix(s) for the stanford game in palo alto on thursday january 14th at 8:00 pm...this team plays much better at haas pavilion (1-5 away from home) & needs our positive energy to win this road battle before returning home...are you gonna help turn maples pavilion into bear territory, every voice matters

diamonds sometimes need polishing before they truly sparkle

offensive stagnation is fatal#
Shocky1
sean miller's worst defensive team in ages resulted in arizona (13-3/1-2) losing to upstart usc (14-3/3-1) 103-101 in quadruple overtime in front of 6,854 mostly wildcat fans in south central

pac 12 1st place washington (11-4/3-0) knocked off rival washington state (9-6/1-2) 99-95 in overtime in the palouse

arizona state (10-6/0-3) remains winless after losing at pauley pavilion 81-74 to ucla (11-6/2-2)

virginia (12-3/1-2) lost another acc road game 68-64 to georgia tech
Shocky1
Shocky1;842630773 said:

sean miller's worst defensive team in ages resulted in arizona (13-3/1-2) losing to upstart usc (14-3/3-1) 103-101 in quadruple overtime in front of 6,854 mostly wildcat fans in south central

pac 12 1st place washington (11-4/3-0) knocked off rival washington state (9-6/1-2) 99-95 in overtime in the palouse

arizona state (10-6/0-3) remains winless after losing at pauley pavilion 81-74 to ucla (11-6/2-2)

virginia (12-3/1-2) lost another acc road game 68-64 to georgia tech

st marys (14-2) dropped a game vs pepperdine at nobu malibu, the gaels aren't as good when not playing in their tiny crack house in moraga
Shocky1
oscar frayer on his 1st official visit to dan majerle's grand canyon antelopes in west phoenix this weekend

salute#
Shocky1
the squad is flying from eugene back home to the bay area in a couple of hours after 6 long days in cold azz oregon, everybody's gonna benefit from sleeping in their own beds tonite

but this team is at a fork in the road, is this year's uniquely talented california golden bears basketball team gonna be defined by selfish play?...are t-wall & jaylen just gonna dribble the ball into turnovers with tunnel vision & little awareness of open teammates?...is j mat gonna brood in a grand funk while on the court when things don't go his way?...is young ivee gonna let an ugly azz punk like eubanks push him around in the paint so that he never establishes his position down low in the post?...are kam & king gonna continue to grab azz with their hands & get fouls called on them or are they gonna move their feet & just raise their hands in a solid defensive position?...is bird gonna smile & lose the whole woe is me self defeating mindset?

let's be real here, i love all these guys but i can tell you right now they are not playing like little kids on the playground playing basketball with their best friends for the joy of the game

right now they're playing like uptight & selfish dumb azzs, kinda like a bunch of moody shemales

let's get some ******* sleep & be ready to roll in practice on monday after some serious self introspection

let's do this

don't be a shemale#
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842630781 said:

the squad is flying from eugene back home to the bay area in a couple of hours after 6 long days in cold azz oregon, everybody's gonna benefit from sleeping in their own beds tonite

but this team is at a fork in the road, is this year's uniquely talented california golden bears basketball team gonna be defined by selfish play?...are t-wall & jaylen just gonna dribble the ball into turnovers with tunnel vision & little awareness of open teammates?...is j mat gonna brood in a grand funk while on the court when things don't go his way?...is young ivee gonna let an ugly azz punk like eubanks push him around in the paint so that he never establishes his position down low in the post?...are kam & king gonna continue to grab azz with their hands & get fouls called on them or are they gonna move their feet & just raise their hands in a solid defensive position?...is bird gonna smile & lose the whole woe is me self defeating mindset?

let's be real here, i love all these guys but i can tell you right now they are not playing like little kids on the playground playing basketball with their best friends for the joy of the game

right now they're playing like uptight & selfish dumb azzs, kinda like a bunch of moody shemales

let's get some ******* sleep & be ready to roll in practice on monday after some serious self introspection

let's do this

don't be a shemale#

Thank you. Could not agree more. Love the talent, not the performance except the highlight clips. Ain't no "I" in "team"
Shocky1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5415[/ATTACH]
click for larger image
Shocky1
stanford (9-6/2-2) got out rebounded -16 (22 boards for the cards vs 38 boards for the ducks) as dana altman's fightin' criminals defended their oregon (13-3/2-1) home court 71-58
Shocky1
"we didn't play hard at all, we played a selfish brand of basketball"

-coach martin
Shocky1
arizona's leading scorer (14.8) & unremorseful gunner (refused to pass the ball to ivan & jaylen in the high school all star games) allonzo trier will be out 4 to 6 weeks with a broken right hand
Shocky1
elliot pitts, de la salle high school star with a strong gpa, had an actionable offer from the #1 ranked public university in the world from the prior staff but his mom didn't like telegraph avenue so she sent her son to tucson

now pitts is a pot head in tucson & it's not clear if he'll ever wear a wildcats uniform again, his career is up in smoke

but that arizona diploma is gonna serve him in the near future as a shift supervisor at the arbys in concord, thanks mom

50 year decision (don't be a dumb azz)#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]singer is really stepping up for the Bears
shooting in rhythm, playing defense, aggressively attacking the basket and finishing...
...moving the ball, playing team ball...[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Jabari started off the game attacking the basket
but his shot isn't falling right now
but it wasn't long ago that he hit the clutch 3 to beat the hot St Marys team
Jabari's got the talent. It's all about confidence.
He'll be okay, he'll be back

Jabari Bird, one of my fav players...[/SIZE]

mikecohen
Shocky1;842631158 said:

"we didn't play hard at all, we played a selfish brand of basketball"

-coach martin

The following is a serious question in response to the above, to which I truly do not know the answer (or answers), but I suspect that it may have something to do with coaching, either macro (by repeating over and over that getting defense is the sine qua non, and offense will just happen by itself, instead of by actually, like, instituting an offense program as intensive as the defense program), or micro (i.e., not making the necessary in-game adjustments, or setting insightful game plans for the particular opponent - and it's obvious from what Cuonzo says, that he is in fact very knowledgeable about the particular strengths and weaknesses of the particular opposing teams), or maybe just that it takes a certain amount of time to set the culture of winning and the pattern of everything - keeping in mind that neither Coach K nor Coach Wooden, for examples, were instant successes by any means, but, by the time they got it set, they were extremely unlikely (and, in Coach Wooden's case it was against the law) to lose any games. And the question is: "Whose fault is that?"
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842631172 said:

[SIZE=5]singer is really stepping up for the Bears
shooting in rhythm, playing defense, aggressively attacking the basket and finishing...
...moving the ball, playing team ball...[/SIZE]

So there's something to be said for multi-year college experience [see GP2's development trajectory along the same lines also]
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842631173 said:

[SIZE=5]Jabari started off the game attacking the basket
but his shot isn't falling right now
but it wasn't long ago that he hit the clutch 3 to beat the hot St Marys team
Jabari's got the talent. It's all about confidence.
He'll be okay, he'll be back

Jabari Bird, one of my fav players...[/SIZE]

FWIW [and I don't count my basketball knowledge and insight very high]: It seems to me that some of our team's most successful moments have come with pull-up mid-range jumpers, which Jabari is particularly suited for because of his world-beating hops. In a reversal of roles kind of way, it seems to me that going for and establishing that from the get-go could make it easier to thrive by the drive, because the main detriment to that for all of the guys on our team who are capable of living by it (including also Jaylen, Singer, Wallace and Mathews) is the finishing at the rim is becoming particularly difficult, all around, as of late, because of the development of posse defense at the rim (which, by the way, we could have benefitted from more than we did in the last game), and the realistic threat of a quasi-automatic two from a short-range jumper could maybe make it significantly harder for that posse to form.
First Page Last Page
Page 265 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.