cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,343 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in speaking with multiple guys re: the incoming 2016 recruits, there is unanimous consensus from playing with & against grant mullins during the live scrimmage during his official visit to berkeley that he will be a true impact player next season...our bears told me that mullins is a clever high basketball iq elite shooter with a lethal stroke that is truly unselfish with the ball that will also facilitate his teammates...perhaps a step slow on defense by pac 12 standards, he is experienced enough to intuitively not overplay the ball & is tough enough to fight thru screen packages...i love hearing that he brings a little bit of east coast attitude, this team needs to become significantly mentally tougher next season if it is to achieve its potential deep ncca tournament run & grant mullins will be a very important piece of that puzzle as he is expected to quickly transition into the playing rotation as an impact guard

in playing against dontae coleman, guys told me he is also a very good shooter but is inexperienced & does not fully realize yet the defensive intensity & nonstop motor that is required at this level...coleman is likely to be a role player this upcoming season but has 3 years to achieve his significant upside...he is likable & will fit in well with his new teammates...and yeah dontae is aware of my stipulated 3.0+ gpa requirement in order to be called don by the shockster in the future...what up, dontae?

concordtom
petalumabear;842683166 said:

Nobody wants to "take him down" Tom. I, and perhaps south bender, would like to see less juvenile behavior, less attacking of Cal fans, more celebrstation of what's good without the negativity. Beyond that, I'm sure there are other things each of us individually would like changed - and I've had extensive discussions with Shocky directly about some. So don't read Something into this that isn't there please.

Agreed. As I said, I don't want to, either, and I have employed restraint to not do so.
Just quit the sex kitten imagery and language!
Goddamit, knock it off!

Thank you for sending the same msg.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842680141 said:

young ivee's new roommate

ivan, your new roomie is gonna wanna play paddle board or something with you all the time, is that gonna be problem or not?

jaylen who?#

there is talk at the basketball house that depending on which regular students move in/out that young ivee will be rooming with grant mullins (or potentially roman davis) starting this summer

that's an epic downgrade for ivan but let's be real here maybe grant can actually throw a ******* lob/entry pass to rabb in the low post unlike the rest of his clown teammates
concordtom
Shocky1;842683167 said:

in speaking with multiple guys re: the incoming 2016 recruits, there is unanimous consensus from playing with & against grant mullins during the live scrimmage during his official visit to berkeley that he will be a true impact player next season...our bears told me that mullins is a clever high basketball iq elite shooter with a lethal stroke that is truly unselfish with the ball that will also facilitate his teammates...perhaps a step slow on defense by pac 12 standards, he is experienced enough to intuitively not overplay the ball & is tough enough to fight thru screen packages...i love hearing that he brings a little bit of east coast attitude, this team needs to become significantly mentally tougher next season if it is to achieve its potential deep ncca tournament run & grant mullins will be a very important piece of that puzzle as he is expected to quickly transition into the playing rotation as an impact guard

in playing against dontae coleman, guys told me he is also a very good shooter but is inexperienced & does not fully realize yet the defensive intensity & nonstop motor that is required at this level...coleman is likely to be a role player this upcoming season but has 3 years to achieve his significant upside...he is likable & will fit in well with his new teammates...

With the exception of the final sentence, which I have deleted, this is the best post on this board in weeks, if not months, and why we read your thread.
Thank you!
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1;842682831 said:

oaktown, you make a lot of (inaccurate) assumptions, [/IMG]

A charge we are both guilty of, my friend.

However, when someone talks endlessly about curvy yoga instructors, they open themselves up to the assumption of others that maybe they are more interested in looks than substance. More importantly, when men talk endlessly about curvy yoga instructors, it gives the impression to women, especially younger, less experienced women and girls, that this is the only thing men value in them. I think it is important for men who do in fact see them as more than the result of their yoga classes speak up and let them know that.
Shocky1

my wingman chancellor nicky d & his crew at the banquet (which is unheard of at cal), big d talking passionately about coach martin & the program's recent perfect 1000 apr score

yeah, nicky d kinda looks eintstein but with more fashion forward kicks but not as stylish as fallon & jennifer

let's do this

shoes matter#
Shocky1
several high placed sources have confirmed to me that cal's most important recruit, only behind jordan brown on the big board, joshua has been wait listed but that they are "very optimistic" that he will be cleared

let's do this#
dal9
HoopDreams;842683101 said:

Is there any concern that new graduate transfer Grant Mullins (front and center) will have difficulty getting his shot off against Pac-10 defenses?
Shocky1

dominik olejniczak is athletic enough & got enough foot speed that he could potentially play the 4 in addition to the 5 if he commits to the bears & coach martin opts for a big lineup...he will officially visit berkeley next thursday may 5th

the staff is currently working on tours, activities & a customized recruiting video for olejnickzak...i have made the suggestion to the staff that the video include the following opening introductory comment: prosze przjsc na numer jeden w rankingu uczelni publicanych na swiecie i niech shocky siedziec obok swojego krzwego brutneki jogi dziewczyna nataliia na gamedays

note: natalia (standing next to a slouching dominik) is not signaling his gpa, he's not a dumb azz

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including poland)
Shocky1
dal9;842683238 said:

Is there any concern that new graduate transfer Grant Mullins (front and center) will have difficulty getting his shot off against Pac-10 defenses?

dal9,i asked one of the coaches that exact question, the response was no, that he has played enough elite competition outside of the ivy league in columbia's out of conference games that he will smoothly make the transition to a quicker release vs pac 12 teams

i'm more concerned about the foto above (the little guy ran into shot at the last moment at his moms encouragement) & grant being only 4 feet tall
BeggarEd
Shocky1;842683258 said:

dal9,i asked one of the coaches that exact question, the response was no, that he has played enough elite competition outside of the ivy league in columbia's out of conference games that he will smoothly make the transition to a quicker release vs pac 12 teams

i'm more concerned about the foto above (the little guy ran into shot at the last moment at his moms encouragement) & grant being only 4 feet tall

Shocky that's great that your Mom helped you work up the courage to jump into that group shot. Print that one out and put it on the fridge 'lil buddy.
OldBlue1999
There is some serious irony and a major disconnect in the few of you who see professional modeling photos as offensive objectification of women on a website that has as its raison d'tre the objectification of young adults. These hypothetical female victims you dream of coming to the defense of are, for the most part, figments of your paternalistic imaginations. Get over yourselves. Women are fully capable of making their own decisions; they don't need your help or protection unless they ASK YOU FOR IT. Do you worry about the psyche's of all the young boys who visit this site to read about Goff and Brown and Rabb but will never even make their HS team because they're not physically able to compete? Because I never see you complain about it the way you do with girls. Let. It. Go. You're embarrassing yourselves.
Shocky1
BeggarEd;842683262 said:

Shocky that's great that your Mom helped you work up the courage to jump into that group shot. Print that one out and put it on the fridge 'lil buddy.

ed, i'll try to remember to tip you better next time i walk 36 holes at the o club

sorry about that, my wallet was in your girlfriend's car or something

BeggarEd
Shocky1;842683267 said:

ed, i'll try to remember to tip you better next time i walk 36 holes at the o club

sorry about that, my wallet was in your girlfriend's car or something

LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842683237 said:

several high placed sources have confirmed to me that cal's most important, only behind jordan brown on the big board, joshua has been wait listed but that they are "very optimistic" that he will be cleared

let's do this#

Shocky, who is joshua here? (I'm drawing a blank)
TheSouseFamily
OaktownBear;842683230 said:

However, when someone talks endlessly about curvy yoga instructors, they open themselves up to the assumption of others that maybe they are more interested in looks than substance. More importantly, when men talk endlessly about curvy yoga instructors, it gives the impression to women, especially younger, less experienced women and girls, that this is the only thing men value in them. I think it is important for men who do in fact see them as more than the result of their yoga classes speak up and let them know that.

All true. Their identities should not be based solely on their efforts in the yoga studio. I'm sure many of them also do Pilates.
philbert
Cornish is out...

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 10m10 minutes ago
Jordan Cornish told @CBSSports that he is reopening his recruitment. Initially committed to Cal. Played last season at UNLV.
TheSouseFamily
philbert;842683287 said:

Cornish is out...

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 10m10 minutes ago
Jordan Cornish told @CBSSports that he is reopening his recruitment. Initially committed to Cal. Played last season at UNLV.

I don't think this is gonna come as a surprise to MoragaBear.
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842683292 said:

I don't think this is gonna come as a surprise to MoragaBear.

cornish caught the staff by surprise with his twitter announcement, he wasn't cleared yet by cal admissions

his gpas in high school & at unlv weren't going to gain him admission to the #1 ranked (#3 overall) university in the world

jordan is still ok, he can stay at unlv with the new coaching staff or make a move elsewhere, good luck to him

gpas matter (unless you work for rivals)#
mikecohen
OldBlue1999;842683265 said:

There is some serious irony and a major disconnect in the few of you who see professional modeling photos as offensive objectification of women on a website that has as its raison d'tre the objectification of young adults. These hypothetical female victims you dream of coming to the defense of are, for the most part, figments of your paternalistic imaginations. Get over yourselves. Women are fully capable of making their own decisions; they don't need your help or protection unless they ASK YOU FOR IT. Do you worry about the psyche's of all the young boys who visit this site to read about Goff and Brown and Rabb but will never even make their HS team because they're not physically able to compete? Because I never see you complain about it the way you do with girls. Let. It. Go. You're embarrassing yourselves.

+ alot
BearlyCareAnymore
OldBlue1999;842683265 said:

I don't think I've ever read a more pedantic, self serving, sanctimonious defense of men being jerks in my life. Yes men looking at cheesecake photos is an act of feminism. Let's all stand up for women's rights to be ogled. I hear that is women's number one concern. Fight against the opressors who would ask for respect for a woman's intelligence and personality when obviously women just want us to admire their best traits. Their asses and their breasts.

I really don't care about you looking at pictures of women who have specifically chosen to pose for said pictures and no one is trying to protect THEM. However, 1. There is a time and a place for it. Like on a hottie thread. And there is a degree. This is a recruiting thread. A little boys will be boys is one thing, but the obsessive bullshyte is annoying as hell.

2. Are the models asking for help? No. And I'm not offering. They want to pose, that is there business. You want to look? That is your business. Wouldn't have it any other way. What is annoying is the constant drumbeat that guys only care about snagging some hot babe and that a Cal degree means hot girls from dumbass schools will be diving at your feet. It is disrespectful to both men and women and particularly harmful to girls and young women. I find the juxtaposition of these posts and talking about a teenage daughter jarring.

While there certainly are women who have been ogled on the Internet, and asked for the behavior to stop (see Alison Stokke) paternalistic defenses of models is not what this is about. It is about using these pictures as a jumping off point for a message that is completely disrespectful to all women. And maybe you haven't heard it, but many women are asking for our help.

I'm just presenting the opposite point of view. That many of us guys don't think the number 1 criteria in a girlfriend or wife is being a curvy yoga female. Because that is what the (ad nauseum) message is here. Not that curvy yoga females are best to look at on the Internet. The message is come to Cal and find a girl like this. And the message is to women that this is what we value them for. Which I find particularly ironic considering that Cal is about the best place to find a super intelligent woman.

Sorry, but someone who constantly bangs this message is massively shallow. And the assumption that everyone is as shallow as they are is tiresome adolescent male bullshyte.

I add two points.

1. The objectification of women displayed on the thread is not analogous at all to the reason this board exists. The football and basketball players we discuss have devoted a large portion of their lives to developing their skills in their sports. Discussing that is not objectifying them. Most people would like to be analyzed based on the things that are most important to them and the things they have chosen to develop in themselves. It is a large part of the substance of who they are. Whether the NCAA treats them fairly or "objectifies them" is a separate issue.

2. Yeah, with the we are so offensively paternalistic argument. Tell you what. You want to say with a straight face that if you showed all of Shocky's posts and all of my posts to a large group of women that more would be offended by mine than his, be my guest. No one is going to buy that. I'm laughing at that. Let's just say I don't think you'd make the argument to a room full of women.
mikecohen
OaktownBear;842683404 said:

I don't think I've ever read a more pedantic, self serving, sanctimonious defense of men being jerks in my life. Yes men looking at cheesecake photos is an act of feminism. Let's all stand up for women's rights to be ogled. I hear that is women's number one concern. Fight against the opressors who would ask for respect for a woman's intelligence and personality when obviously women just want us to admire their best traits. Their asses and their breasts.

I really don't care about you looking at pictures of women who have specifically chosen to pose for said pictures and no one is trying to protect THEM. However, 1. There is a time and a place for it. Like on a hottie thread. And there is a degree. This is a recruiting thread. A little boys will be boys is one thing, but the obsessive bullshyte is annoying as hell.

2. Are the models asking for help? No. And I'm not offering. They want to pose, that is there business. You want to look? That is your business. Wouldn't have it any other way. What is annoying is the constant drumbeat that guys only care about snagging some hot babe and that a Cal degree means hot girls from dumbass schools will be diving at your feet. It is disrespectful to both men and women and particularly harmful to girls and young women. I find the juxtaposition of these posts and talking about a teenage daughter jarring.

While there certainly are women who have been ogled on the Internet, and asked for the behavior to stop (see Alison Stokke) paternalistic defenses of models is not what this is about. It is about using these pictures as a jumping off point for a message that is completely disrespectful to all women. And maybe you haven't heard it, but many women are asking for our help.

I'm just presenting the opposite point of view. That many of us guys don't think the number 1 criteria in a girlfriend or wife is being a curvy yoga female. Because that is what the (ad nauseum) message is here. Not that curvy yoga females are best to look at on the Internet. The message is come to Cal and find a girl like this. And the message is to women that this is what we value them for. Which I find particularly ironic considering that Cal is about the best place to find a super intelligent woman.

Sorry, but someone who constantly bangs this message is massively shallow. And the assumption that everyone is as shallow as they are is tiresome adolescent male bullshyte.

I respectfully submit that Shocky is massively weird, incongruous and quite the reverse of much of the stupidity that constitutes a substantial part of his Shtick; and that (along with a lot of charming creativity) is what makes him a great artist. Great artists are often notoriously bad people. I don't think for a minute that Shocky is a bad person. He just plays one on TV - I mean, on this Board.
oskidunker
Red redington
Shocky1
cornish is not gone, he never arrived
Shocky1
Shocky1;842636683 said:

coach jones is coaching up both k(rooks) & the king, checkmate

the king got 4 critical blocks & defended the basket with a commanding presence, he's doing a better job of anticipating & establishing a strong defensive position

yeah, the king could be the pac 12's next robert upshaw (without all the dope), he's got guts

the king of darby (god save the queen)#

happy 21st birthday, king

taylor thinks you got a great smile...i think you could lead the pac 12 in blocks next season

hope you will speak today with your sister janet, bros ugo & francis & moms florence and dad professor michael...but i hope you don't stuff your face with classic bangers & mash, coach christopher will not approve that heart attack, that's not gonna happen

i dunno maybe nick will get you a strawberry kale salad or something

taylor (pictured above) & i visited last nite at the banquet with the king & his cheerful curvy brunette yoga female friend (gf?) victoria

so i ask kingsley how his brother is a competitive weight lifter (is that even a profession?) & if he can outlift him, he says no & that his brother is a doctor just like his sister

and that's when i unleash the dogs of war against the king, how come you only got a 3.0+ gpa in high school given your family's intellect with your sibling as doctors & your dad a professor at the university of darby (i told kingsley i really enjoyed the nearby notts golf club, the home or robin hood)?

kingsley gets all embarrassed & laughingly admits he didn't work his azz of in high school in america but that he's mentally limitless now with academic ambition

told the king that my yoga buddy padraig in north scottsdale who worked with kingsley at westwind prep high school once told that if okoroh ever finds his inner bad azz that then he's gonna be somebody special

while that is true from a basketball perspective, the genuinely affable sir kingsley okoroh is already special doing the hang with a curvy brunette yoga female

long live the king (i mean it man)#
Shocky1
OaktownBear;842683230 said:

i'm more egalitarian than you think, my friend...it's also very important for males to have flat stomachs & a sense of humor too
SFBearz
mikecohen;842683432 said:

I respectfully submit that Shocky is massively weird, incongruous and quite the reverse of much of the stupidity that constitutes a substantial part of his Shtick; and that (along with a lot of charming creativity) is what makes him a great artist. Great artists are often notoriously bad people. I don't think for a minute that Shocky is a bad person. He just plays one on TV - I mean, on this Board.

Lol, when did you become that lost about art?
south bender
SFBearz;842683574 said:

+1
NYCGOBEARS
SFBearz;842683574 said:

Remember when Nagel was considered by some a great artist?
Shocky1
taylor & i conversed with nick & steve kerr for 10 minutes in an empty haas pavilion while the rest of the crowd socialized & boozed it up in the lounge prior to the banquet

steve & i talked about where he lived in scottsdale & his favorite local restaurants when he coached the phx suns but more importantly we conversed re: our yoga practices (his studio is in berkeley), his favorite pose is the pigeon in that it helps him release his lower back

this was my 1st conversation with nick & he told me that he will serve as a graduate assistant next season for the bears while he completes his 2nd year of the public health graduate program

nick & i had a remarkable conversation in which we discussed why ivan rabb was underutilized in the low post, the passing challenges of this year's team & why the cal basketball team underachieved this season...nick is refreshingly candid & absolutely brutal in his assessments but he also got potential solutions...i'm not going to discuss the specifics of our conversation but i'm very optimistic that nick will share his thoughts with the coaches & the players, he had an up close view of the strengths & problems facing the cal basketball program this season

i've visited with quite a few nba scouts & coaches and i can tell you with confidence that nick kerr has an advanced basketball mind & a unique ability to strategize what steps need to be taken in the future to coach up this team's shortcomings

it will be very important for nick to remain edgy and outspoken & for coach martin & the older coaches to listen to kerr's input, he will be the hardest working graduate assistant in the united states, you can bank of that

mikecohen
NYCGOBEARS;842683577 said:

Remember when Nagel was considered by some a great artist?

Remember when Van Gogh (and countless others) weren't?
Shocky1
SFBearz;842683574 said:

i dunno probably after i got an a+ in art history: the works of leonardo da dicaprio and the beauty of the curvy brunette yoga female at the viper room

Shocky1
young ivee told me that he thinks he will be more comfortable vocally demanding the ball next season, that it doesn't happen just naturally for him due to his personality...he did make some progress in this area during the final 10 games

coach christopher told me at the banquet that rabb currently weighs 219 lbs & that he will ideally play at 228-230 lbs next season

ivan's goal should be to be selected as the #1 player in the 2017 nba draft, he's got that potential if he can average 15+ shots a game next season in exploiting other teams

impose your will (demand the ******* ball)#
89Bear
Shocky1;842683591 said:

young ivee told me that he thinks he will be more comfortable vocally demanding the ball next season, that it doesn't happen just naturally for him due to his personality...he did make some progress in this area during the final 10 games

coach christopher told me that rabb currently weighs 219 lbs & that he will ideally play at 228-230 lbs next season

ivan's goal should be to be selected as the #1 player in the 2017 nba draft, he's got that potential if he can average 10+ shots a game next season in exploiting other teams

impose your will (demand the ball)#

The entire team should be punished with extra running next year for any game Rabb gets less than 14 shots off!!
concordtom
OaktownBear;842683404 said:

I add two points.

1. The objectification of women displayed on the thread is not analogous at all to the reason this board exists. The football and basketball players we discuss have devoted a large portion of their lives to developing their skills in their sports. Discussing that is not objectifying them. Most people would like to be analyzed based on the things that are most important to them and the things they have chosen to develop in themselves. It is a large part of the substance of who they are. Whether the NCAA treats them fairly or "objectifies them" is a separate issue.

2. Yeah, with the we are so offensively paternalistic argument. Tell you what. You want to say with a straight face that if you showed all of Shocky's posts and all of my posts to a large group of women that more would be offended by mine than his, be my guest. No one is going to buy that. I'm laughing at that. Let's just say I don't think you'd make the argument to a room full of women.

If the website administrators won't ask Shocky to tone down the messaging as we've requested, maybe they could install an instant sandwich delivery button, cause I'd like to buy you lunch.

Well said.
Thank you.

My step-mother worked at high levels in corporate America in the 60's and 70's at a time when they were seen more as coffee getters than leaders. I recall her coming home tired and complaining about the double standard and the glass ceiling. Make chauvinist pig was a repeated expression. I heard that, took it to heart and was raised to understand that women were capable of having the same successful careers as men, that they should be given equal opportunity as men.

When I was at SDSU, I was both turned on and off by the body culture that existed. Young women who had rockin' bods would routinely sun themselves by the pool in bikinis. And walking around campus was a yummy visual treat. But I made friends with some gals and so me and another guy got an apt with 3 girls. I learned from these "sisters" how concerned chicks are with having the right body. It was sad. Us Neanderthal guys are admiring their T&A, while they are stressing about having their T&A just right. It goes way beyond "does this make me look fat?" We horny body worshipping men therefore are creating a culture where women stop thinking about their successes in the world and instead about how they are visually accepted. It's a low level of existence.

Now that I have my own team of daughters, I constantly tell them to not buy into the beauty body conscious world we live in. It's a false idol. Ignore attention people give you for your looks, don't advertise your wares, and make them respect your brain, not your booty. Pick a mate that "gets" that.

These are some of the stories and values behind why I fight Shocky with his pushing of the body culture. Shocky, rather than just being an azzhole, posting more women and that chimp who mocks me with your message of I Don't Care, why not just listen and have a heart. This is a public forum and you're insulting to me and others. It's not too late to change. We like your basketball posts. Keep them coming.

Go Bears.
First Page Last Page
Page 319 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.