cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,595 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So when is Poeltl going to decide? Are we still actively recruiting Cimino? Are there any transfer students we know of who could come in and tear down boards and muscle their way through a crowd?
Shocky1
the bears took a break from the grind by playing (like little kids) laser tag in walnut creek & also a much needed team building/air clearing (no more letting offensive miscues affect defensive intensity) meeting after the utah game

wonder if they saw 30 seconds to mars during their team holiday
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=30+secods+to+mars+videos&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=5188C9630E596C2AAD625188C9630E596C2AAD62

cal family#
Shocky1
2017 pg damari milstead scored 19 pts with 2 larcenous steals & 2016 wing oscar frayer scored 12 pts with 11 boards, 3 grand thefts & 4 thunder bolt blocks as the moreau catholic mariners (24-6) nautically navigated by the birdless salesian pride 73-68 in the ncs playoffs

damari milstead

oscar frayer

frank knight's mariners#
Shocky1
Next Tuesday.

Now get cracking on our fab recruit, Sam E.

1947, gonna need a raincheck for our bingo nite tues...gotta get to vegas, baby

will definitely play a round or two at shadow creek

how am i gonna get my morning laps in with all these azzs blocking all the swimming lanes?...vegas pool parties are a pain in the azz

i dunno, maybe the lifeguard at tower #7 that's winking at me can give me some suggestions or something

off to the races#http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lana+del+rey+off+to+the+races&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=44F6102AE773C549415744F6102AE773C5494157
LVBear
Shocky1;842291048 said:

Next Tuesday.

Now get cracking on our fab recruit, Sam E.

1947, gonna need a raincheck for our bingo nite tues...gotta get to vegas, baby

Shocky

How do you like Shadow Creek now compared to the previous lay out? Personally I thought it was more intimate before and I wished they did not get rid of some of the trees/vegetation. But it is still a very nice course

:gobears:
Shocky1

Shocky

How do you like Shadow Creek now compared to the previous lay out? Personally I thought it was more intimate before and I wished they did not get rid of some of the trees/vegetation. But it is still a very nice course

hey lv, i tend to have mixed feelings re: shadow creek

my favorite golf courses in the world are usually links courses with firm & fast playing conditions that are naturally integrated into their seaside environments & that seem ageless in their appearances...they tend to be built more by mother nature & evolve over time than created by an architect

shadow creek is arguably the most artificial & manufactured golf course ever built...the original land site had maybe a foot of elevation from one end of the property to the other yet steve wynn commissioned tom fazio to build a dream landscape with 50 foot elevations & 30,000 mature trees along with ponds & creeks for a reported $50+m

the current minimalism movement in golf course architecture is to chop down trees (most noteably in the bay area at the cal club, pasatiempo, olympic lake & my beloved san francisco golf club) which opens up scenic vistas, creates more sunlight & air circulation for better turf, and strategically allows the wind to affect play which requires creativity in shotmaking

shadow creek was certainly more private & intimate back when it opened (there were hundred of exotic animals & birds on site then) when only a group or two of whales or vips would be on the course per day & steve wynn would personally sign off on every player...i remember the smiling waiter asking me what i desired for lunch (no menus) so i threw out a wild request for a small cup of mushroom soup to be followed by an eclectic request of sushis & a slice of coffee chocolate cake that was promptly prepared & graciously served in minutes

dining at shadow creek is significantly more enjoyable than cafeteria dorm food at cal...the smell of fish night hitting the nostrils 2 blocks away....ahhhhhhhh (time for a slice of blondie's cheese pizza with sprinkles of oregano for dinner)

Shocky1
Shocky1;842289069 said:

richard solomon leads the pac 12 in rebounding at 9.8 rpg & is 6th in shooting fg % at 54.1%

those are serious bb #s

solo has built up his body & improved his skills to the pt where he is on the radar of the nba

rich is on track to graduate hopefully this spring at the #1 ranked public university in the world while balancing his bb obligations

richard solomon=cal student athlete

congratulations pac 12 rebounding leader with a dominating 10.0 rpg, richard solomon

nothing infuses more positive energy into the cal bb team during games than rich fighting for an offensive board & then throwing down a redunkulous slam with a monster scream

that **** is scary
south bender
Shocky,

Perhaps you can provide us a picture of your sitting down to a magnificent meal of crow, on the occasion of Bryce Alford's making first team Pac-12 frosh!

The nepotism of his dad's putting him on the UCLA team was trumpeted far and wide by you on your thread. I bought in to what you were selling, but reality did intrude.

Bryce is a player and crow should be on your menu! Enjoy!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
justin labagh graduated from cal after playing with abdul shareef rahim & tony gonzalez, interned under bobby knight, recruits relentlessly during the off season (once told me that 20 of his wins each season take place on the recruiting trail), sends more guys to college with schollys than any other jc hc in california because of his emphasis upon academics & is the winningiest hc in college bb history at 87.6%

justin labagh=another cal guy creating greatness

cal family#

justin labagh's ccsf rams (29-2) were pushed off a rocky outcropping in seacliffe by the fast & furious cabot gladiators (25-7) 101-94 denying ccsf another state championship opportunity at this week's calif jc final four

sami eleraky scored 3 pts in his final jc game before he heads to stockton to become a uop tiger...cal's upwardly trending bb recruting is targeting higher level prospects than 2 yrs ago but this does not diminish waldo's tireless travels in pursuit of his dreams

No bingo.................No Sam E.
OdontoBear66
1947;842291321 said:

No, I would agree. Three points, no bingo. Not sure we really needed to go there. Marginal at best, I think, but have to admit I have not seen him in person. Now one could make the claim what other options do we have, but that does not make him a "good option".
Shocky1
1. california institute of technology (cal tech)
2. university of oxford
3. harvard university
4. stanford university
5. massachusetts institute of technology (mit)
6. princeton university
7. university of cambridge
8. university of california, berkeley (cal)
9. university of chicago
10. imperial college london
11. yale university

per the 2013/2014 times higher education world university rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking/range/001-200

50 yr decision#

jakob is the guy in the upper far left that is sitting in the front row with the good looking montgomery women

jakob, ja, it is true, cal is the #1 ranked public university in the world

the university of utah is ranked #143 which is pretty good if you want to become the lead singer in salt lake city's mormon choir someday
Shocky1
taking the oakland airport rental car center shuttle to the terminal after the colorado victory i saw a guy wearing a cal hat so i asked him how he returned his car so quickly since i basically burned rubber in my red (sigh) avis mustang after sprinting out of haas

he laughed & doug mitchell, the successful bb hc at bishop montgomery, told me that like myself he flew in & out to celebrate the sr day festivities for his 2 former knights, justin cobbs & richard solomon...he's proud of both guys (even though solo transferred for his sr yr to price because of a disagreement...both rich & his dad disagreed with mitchell's assessment that solo was a 5, they felt he would be more effective as a stretch 4 or even a big shooting wing 3) & respects their academic achievements...doug mitchell gets it, he's not some dumb azz street agent trying to hook his players up at bb factories (where they are used up like equipment & discarded with shaky futures)

doug mitchell told me that 6'3" 2015 shooting guard stephen thompson jr has a 4.5 gpa (he is competing to become class valedictorian) & has shot 42% on 3 pters & 72% on fts this season for the 24-6 knights...he says stephen is a high character young man & needs to make s&c strides to reach his vast potential

both travis decuire & gregg gottlieb are running pt on thompson's recruitment who has offers from vanderbilt, usc, gonzaga, creighton, asu, san diego state, colorado, boston college, etc.

thompson's dad was a star at syracuse & later played in the nba (guys who played in the league understand that the nba is a cruel biz & that a player's career can end in a split second injury)

because of the thompson's family huge emphasis upon academics, mitchell thinks that at the end of the day this will be a cal vs stanford decision

personally, if sam e. can stand upright.. .............i say ................take him......oh wait....it's too late...we've lost another one............no bingos for what's his name........?
Shocky1
1947;842291321 said:

1947 & ob66, both of you need to get your ancient azzs to vegas...if you can't drive anymore, take greyhound...you're never too old to take care of biz in vegas, baby

you guys can crash at my suite...just don't trip on the golf clubs, bags & shoes or the yoga mats or the bathing suits, ok?

you can go in the limo with me & my buddy and hang at the shadow creek clubhouse or play all the bingo (they call it keno these days) you want or maybe make some new friends or something

cal family#
sluggo_Cal
Omigod. Stevie Thompson's son. For those who do not remember the Crenshaw legend, perhaps the top high school player from LA in the 80s other than Hot Plate Williams, he was too short, too thin, could not shoot to save his life, but man, what an athlete. One of my all-time favorite players ().

If you look at earlier video and then this one () you can see the younger Thompson is improving at a fast rate.

Sluggo
Shocky1
south bender;842291215 said:

Shocky,

Perhaps you can provide us a picture of your sitting down to a magnificent meal of crow, on the occasion of Bryce Alford's making first team Pac-12 frosh!

The nepotism of his dad's putting him on the UCLA team was trumpeted far and wide by you on your thread. I bought in to what you were selling, but reality did intrude.

Bryce is a player and crow should be on your menu! Enjoy!

Go Bears!

Shocky1;842175363 said:

bryce alford tweeted: "i'm a pg, that's what i do"

mystery solved, nobody wants to compete with the coach's son for pt at pg at ucla...velma, daphne, shaggy, scooby & gang can go to bed now

rorie=cal
jackson-cartwright=arizona
cartwright=stanford
perkins=gonzaga
mclaughlin=usc
snider=illinois

therefore the bruins currently will not have a pg on the roster except bryce, the slowest pg in d1 bb

with no pg, 20+ losses is a definite possibility for the once storied ucla program in 2014

i dunno, maybe thomas welsh is being recruited as a 7' pg...

this is ucla basketball#
ruh roh#

did you see the notice placed in this weekend's los angeles times?

University of California Los Angeles is seeking a point guard for its men's intercollegiate basketball team.

Qualified applicants will be:

1) In possession of a GED or better educational background
2) Be taller than 5'6" as measured in basketball shoes
3) Willing to perform back up duties relative to a key employee's son
4) No felony convictions

Applicants that have thrown chairs at their coaches and/or reneged on current LOI's to other NCAA institutions will not be disqualified.

Successful candidate will receive parking privileges and be eligible for the Sam Gilbert financial compensation package.

Smog mask not included.

this is ucla basketball#
ruh roh#

southbender, where did i ever say bryce alford was not a decent bb player at the 2?

what i have stated is that bryce alford's presence has prevented the bruins from recruiting a pg for 2014

which is 100% true

rapist enabler steve alford is gonna be in deep **** next season in westwood with no pg on the roster, both anderson & lavine definitely gone to the nba (they are being cross checked by nba organizations after quietly advising of their intentions), the wear twins graduating & adams on the fence about returning to a ucla team that could lose 20+ games next season in front of 5,000 fans at pauley

ruh roh#
Shocky1
the bears took a break from the grind by playing (like little kids) laser tag in walnut creek & also a much needed team building/air clearing (no more letting offensive miscues affect defensive intensity) meeting after the utah game

wonder if they saw 30 seconds to mars during their team holiday
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=30+secods+to+mars+videos&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=5188C9630E596C2AAD625188C9630E596C2AAD62

cal family#

da bares inn lost vegas

curfew check#

(this is NOT a foto of tyrone wallace)
socaltownie
Shocky1;842291406 said:

did you see the notice placed in this weekend's los angeles times?

University of California Los Angeles is seeking a point guard for its men's intercollegiate basketball team.

Qualified applicants will be:

1) In possession of a GED or better educational background
2) Be taller than 5'6" as measured in basketball shoes
3) Willing to perform back up duties relative to a key employee's son
4) No felony convictions

Applicants that have thrown chairs at their coaches and/or reneged on current LOI's to other NCAA institutions will not be disqualified.

Successful candidate will receive parking privileges and be eligible for the Sam Gilbert financial compensation package.

Smog mask not included.

this is ucla basketball#
ruh roh#

southbender, where did i ever say bryce alford was not a decent bb player at the 2?

what i have stated is that bryce alford's presence has prevented the bruins from recruiting a pg for 2014

which is 100% true

rapist enabler steve alford is gonna be in deep **** next season in westwood with no pg on the roster, both anderson & lavine definitely gone to the nba (they are being cross checked by nba organizations after quietly advising of their intentions), the wear twins graduating & adams on the fence about returning to a ucla team that could lose 20+ games next season in front of 5,000 fans at pauley

ruh roh#

Bryce is a Frosh (right) so he starts next year. Not great but not HORRIBLE and then have 3 bigs coming in. IN 2015 Rivals has Aaron Holiday as being signed. So that would mean you would have Holiday as a Frosh as Bryce as a Junior. I think it simply depends on your faith of Bryce as a serviceable pg. Kid did have 2.8 APG playing 23 minutes.

What am I missing?
Bobodeluxe
socaltownie;842291447 said:

Bryce is a Frosh (right) so he starts next year. Not great but not HORRIBLE and then have 3 bigs coming in. IN 2015 Rivals has Aaron Holiday as being signed. So that would mean you would have Holiday as a Frosh as Bryce as a Junior. I think it simply depends on your faith of Bryce as a serviceable pg. Kid did have 2.8 APG playing 23 minutes.

What am I missing?

DARK Blue and Gold glasses
Shocky1
congrats to david "doc" kravish for finishing #9 in the pac 12 in rebounding this season with 7.7 rpg...david & josh scott (8.8 rpg) are the only 2 players among the top 10 that will be returning next season so its possible the bears will have the pac 12 rebounding champion 2 yrs in a row (solo led the conference this yr with 10 rpg)

david also finished #3 in the pac 12 in blocked shots with 1.94 rejections per game...with both jordan bachynski & omar "unibrow" oraby out of eligibility, kravish is the clear cut favorite to lead the conference in blocks next season

dk also finished #10 in the pac 12 in fg shooting with a highly accurate .529%

if kravish can put another 10-12 lbs of muscle on this offseason working with scott thom & also start dressing better too, he will be an unstoppable player next season

kravish got game#

david kravish & richard solomon=monsters in the middle
Shocky1
socaltownie;842291447 said:

What am I missing?

aaron holiday is a shade under 6' with a scorer's mentality...a very good athlete, he looks for his shot 1st & is prone to selfishness...he is a 2015 combo guard with a pg size & a 2 mindset

bryce alford is gonna be his daddy's pg in 2014

ruh roh#
Shocky1
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842291587 said:

Have fun!
Shocky1

at halftime of the santa barbara game i went over to the lady that was yelling "let it fly, ricky...let it fly, ricky" every time he passed up open shots & told her i agreed with her sentiment

i introduced myself & asked her if she was mrs kreklow... she laughed & said "no"...so i asked her who is her favorite bear...she smiled & said "my son justin"

justin's mom julanda brown told me that her son will only have 4 more classes to complete this spring in order to earn a degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world...to say she is proud of her son would be a massive understatement

i spoke with justin at the santa barbara airport on sat morning & told him about his mom's pride in his academic achievements...justin told me he will be speaking to profs about completing his necessary final classes online & by email in order to attend the nba scouting combines after the season (it should be noted that our honest & high character bears bb staff passionately encourages our student athletes to graduate from cal while still pursuing their professional goals, jt & staff failed in this regards as guys dropped out of school in order to work out & prepare for the nfl combines)

i asked justin about an incident during a timeout when he lit up one of his teammates & what he was trying to accomplish...cobbs told me he is trying to better control his emotions & treat all his teammates the same...i told jc that maybe he should do the opposite of that, he can tell his childhood buddy solo to get his head out of his azz but he can't do that to the freshmen (they look up to him so his criticism would just be discouraging)...justin nodded in agreement & we fist bumped adios as we headed to different gates with my parting comment, "hey justin, trust me, when you have kids some day you'll better understand why you gotta treat them differently depending upon their personalities"

justin cobbs=man of steel=true student athlete

cal family#
moms are the rock#
do the right thing#

congrats to justin cobbs on being named to the pac 12 1st team as voted upon by the pac 12 coaches (coaches cannot vote for their own players)

richard solomon received honorable mention status with 3 votes & probably cost himself a couple of votes with his whining with the refs & negative body language despite leading the pac 12 in rebounding

hopefully both justin & rich will push themselves to finish their cal degrees this spring (and not down the road) while balancing both classwork & the nba draft combines/workouts

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including los angeles)
Shocky1
the pac 12 coaches voting arizona's nick johnson the pac 12 mvp might actaully weaken the wildcats next season

like alan crabbe last season, johnson is a questionable 1st round selection but winning the pac 12 mvp trophy reinforces the idea that he's ready & that there's not much to play for the following yr

gordon is already 100% gone, bashely will return due to the injury, zeus is on the fence (arizona deep run in the ncaa tnt could seal the deal) & hollis-jefferson will return
Shocky1

bis bald jakob poeltl

academics:
***university of utah: 143rd ranked university in the world, 82.6% acceptance rate
*****university of california, berkeley: #1 ranked public university in the world

career opportunities after basketball:
***university of utah: lead singer in the mormon choir
*****university of california, berkeley: anything, anywhere, anytime on planet earth (international business)

street in salt lake city, utah

street in san francisco bay area, california

utah centers
*****dallin bachynsiki, junior, 7' 258 lbs
*****jeremy olsen, sophomore, 6'10" 232 lbs
*****marko kovacevic, junior, 6'11" 217 lbs

california centers
*****richard solomon, senior (graduating), 6'10" 235 lbs pac 12 rebounding leader w/10 rpg
*****kameron rooks, freshmen (injured for rest of season), 7' 258 lbs

utah girls

california girls
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdoo7w_katy-perry-featuring-snoop-dogg-cal_music

50 year decision#

tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842291764 said:

the pac 12 coaches voting arizona's nick johnson the pac 12 mvp might actaully weaken the wildcats next season

like alan crabbe last season, johnson is a questionable 1st round selection but winning the pac 12 mvp trophy reinforces the idea that he's ready & that there's not much to play for the following yr

gordon is already 100% gone, bashely will return due to the injury, zeus is on the fence (arizona deep run in the ncaa tnt could seal the deal) & hollis-jefferson will return

I wouldn't be worried about Arizona, Shocky. I don't see anyone other than Gordon and NJ leaving. NJ is good, but Gabe York and Pitts will likely play better and more free with increased PT. Don't forget about Stanley Johnson, either. The draft will be deep and Tarczewski will likely be told to stay in school as the 2015 pool looks to be much weaker, especially with the looming age limit possibly being increased by a year.
Shocky1
buzz in vegas is that ken bone will be out as the cougars hc & that announcer/former duck hc ernie kent will be hired as the next cougs hc

wsu boosters should hide their daughters
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842291897 said:

buzz in vegas is that ken bone will be out as the cougars hc & that announcer/former duck hc ernie kent will be hired as the next cougs hc

wsu boosters should hide their daughters

Just when you thought his coaching career was over...

Honestly, Wazzu is between a rock and a hard place. They could go for an "up and coming" mid-major guy, but there's no one that stands out. Randy Bennett ain't leaving Moraga for Pullman. And the last thing they want is another Ken Bone. If they go for a high-major assistant, they'll get a guy with no track record. Kent does have a track record, as mixed as it is, but I just don't see him being successful up there. You need to be a great evaluator, as you won't beat out the bigger programs for recruits and you probably need to be a little unorthodox in terms of playing style. Tony Bennett had these qualities and they lucked out with him, however short his stay was.
Shocky1

how am i gonna get my morning laps in with all these azzs blocking all the swimming lanes?...vegas pool parties are a pain in the azz

i dunno, maybe the lifeguard at tower #7 that's winking at me can give me some suggestions or something

off to the races#http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lana+del+rey+off+to+the+races&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=44F6102AE773C549415744F6102AE773C5494157

the california golden bears are waking up in vegas, baby
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=waking+up+in+vegas+katie+perry&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=9DBA997882952011D22C9DBA997882952011D22C
Shocky1
like virtually all organized athletic teams, there are chemistry & leadership challenges with this year's california golden bears

while our players, coaches & staff are all hard working high character individuals with a desire to excel, they are also very reserved (like moffitt library quiet) & stoic during games...other than matt "the human eraserboard" scherbenske who is the 1st guy to energize guys coming off the floor, our players, coaches & staff seem constipated, frustrated & not having much fun (sort of like a lot of the uptight fans on message boards)...the cal bench should not be as quiet as the cal chess club, it should be as ******* loud as a bunch of on the loose bank robbers driving in a stolen van to lake havasu city for a desperado spring break

smile a little bit, get a piece here & there...i have never met anyone who had lots of sex, an active yoga practice & a good short game that wasn't totally happy in life

the 2013/2014 california golden bears need to remember that bb is a game, a celebration played with friends, this ain't life & death...relax a little bit, channel your inner little kid, remember the good times & fun you had when you were a little kid playing basketball without a care in the world

maturity is overrated#
the world according to shocky#

the door is closing on my flight back to the desert but all i saw this afternoon at haas was little kids having fun playing basketball with mad love for each other & without a care in the world

it must have been really foggy in the san francisco bay area because there wuz a lot of mist in my eyes as the bears srs were introduced one final time with their families

i truly love all of these ******* california golden bears

cal family#

sure hope td help the california golden little kids pour their milk into their cereals so they don't make a mess at breakfast this morning & that gregg makes sure everyone's shoelaces are safety tied & that johnny makes sure nobody gets left behind in those cool mgm elevators

what time is the game?...can we get snow cones after the game?...how come k(rooks) always get to change the channel to sponge bob square pants?
sluggo_Cal
Good time to let this thread die. This class so far has been anything but monster. When things got serious at the end of the year, none of them contributed. Sure they will get better, they are freshmen, blah blah blah, but they are just a middle-of-the-road class with three out of five not currently able to play at a pac12 level. It does not do any good to pretend they are something that they are not.

Sluggo
Bobodeluxe
sluggo_Cal;842292445 said:

Good time to let this thread die. This class so far has been anything but monster. When things got serious at the end of the year, none of them contributed. Sure they will get better, they are freshmen, blah blah blah, but they are just a middle-of-the-road class with three out of five not currently able to play at a pac12 level. It does not do any good to pretend they are something that they are not.

Sluggo

Well, at least they can all probably read.

HoopDreams
The Monster Class doesn't let setbacks defeat them. The Monster Class will use this for motivation to get better.

Cal basketball will be back
It's just the beginning

First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.