cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,277,778 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please tell me this Ken Bone talk is just that. Even for me - a guy who has been somewhat measured about TD - a Ken Bone hire would be a real head scratcher.
Vineyardview
Justin Labagh, CCSF Head Coach

Labagh just completed his eleventh season at the helm of the CCDF Men’s Basketball Program. In his tenure at CCSF, Labagh led the Rams to a State Championship, State Runner-up, nine Coast Conference Championships, three Final Fours, two Final Eight’s and three Sweet Sixteen’s.

Labagh’s winning percentage here at CCSF is a whopping .875 with an overall record of 309-44. The Rams have gone undefeated in conference play for the last 4 years in a row and have also finished the season in the state coach’s poll as #1 four years in a row. Labagh has been voted California JC Coach of the year three times and the program has graduated 36 players to Division I and 23 players to Division II and NAIA schools.

Prior to becoming head coach of the CCSF men’s basketball program, Labagh assisted the Rams for three years under coaches Harry Pantazopoulos and Patrick Springer.

In 2000-2001, he completed an internship under then Texas Tech head coach, Bobby Knight.

Labagh played college basketball at the University of California, Berkeley, where he was coached by Todd Bozeman and Ben Braun, and made two NCAA tournament appearances, including reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 1997.

Former players Labagh played with at Cal were: Shareef Abdur-Rahim of the Sacramento Kings, Sean Marks of the New Orleans Hornets, Francesco Elson of the Denver Nuggets, Michael (Yogi) Stewart of the Atlanta Hawks, Ed Gray of the Atlanta Hawks, Tremaine Folks of the Indiana Pacers, Sean Lampley of the Miami Heat and Tony Gonzalez of the Atlanta Falcons.

The 36 year-old Labagh resides in his hometown of San Francisco with his wife Layla, and their three kids, Steele (6), and Soheila “Soli” (4) and Aidan (1).
tsubamoto2001
tequila4kapp;842304281 said:

Please tell me this Ken Bone talk is just that. Even for me - a guy who has been somewhat measured about TD - a Ken Bone hire would be a real head scratcher.

Monty hired Jay John when he first started. Bone was a good assistant and Wazzu is a tough job. I do like Labagh also. He's young and I can see him doing well at the d-1 level.
stu
What will happen to the CCSF basketball team if CCSF loses its appeal and has its accreditation revoked? I've been following that drama but I have no idea when or how the situation will be resolved.
YO daughters like these type posts?

Seems like you got a real problem.

Check yourself in while your at it.
"I do however see a "dumbazz" who spelled travesty wrong twice in one post."

Ed, the Begger......dumASS, I copied the spelling of the word direct from skockster's post.
89Bear
tsubamoto2001;842304297 said:

Monty hired Jay John when he first started. Bone was a good assistant and Wazzu is a tough job. I do like Labagh also. He's young and I can see him doing well at the d-1 level.

Either one of those guys with TD would be excellent! I would also prefer Labagh and Theo.
Vineyardview
They are each reputed to be excellent basketball tacticians, well connected in the High school & AAU basketball ranks and to be smart with outgoing, upbeat and positive personalities.

That is a great starting point for Cal's next BB Staff.
Chapman_is_Gone
Shocky1;842304223 said:

you don't see anything wrong in 1947's comments because u r a stoopid dumb azz

maybe you 2 should meet for drinks or something

This board is not well served by Shocky having a growing stature here. His pathetic response above, his throwing out charges of racism at the drop of a hat, and the fact that he repeatedly brags about who he dated in high school should tell you all you need to know about the guy.
HoopDreams
the Shockster is one of the biggest Cal basketball fans, and best poster on this site. I think his interesting, funny, and creative commentary is not to be taken totally literally. He doesn't hide behind his handle like most here. He's out there for the entire Cal sports family to see. He not only invites us to attend games with him, but invites anyone to walk up to him after a game to chat.

He provides REAL info to this site, and does so with the blessing of various insiders. He doesn't just post stuff from dark rooms that would upset the insiders he knows. We know his info is credible and his sources are not from Boston Market.

He doesn't disclose any info that would hurt the program. Reading a recent post of his, I wasn't sure if I should feel more or less better about the possibility of Decuire becoming the next coach.

And don't forget the reason he started the Monster Class thread was to get some positive buzz around the Cal program for fans, recruits, and the team. My guess is the Monster Thread sets a record for the longest standing post in BI history.

It's all for the good of the program.

Now if you find some of his posts over the line, you could engage in a respectful conversation with him at the season opener. He lives in another state, but I think he will be there rooting on the new coaching staff and team.

Shocky1;842304134 said:

it would be a travisty of epic proportions to not rightfully name travis decuire as the head basketball coach at the #1 ranked public university in the world

sandy barbour is on board with this opinion, just a couple more cooks in the kitchen need to approve the cake before the cool icing melts in the dark & we never have this recipe again
parentswerebears
Shocky was the first contact I had here on the site and has been one of the most reliable sources of info here, the biggest pumper of the team, the most entertaining poster (although his Rise style poetry wasn't even close to the original verse- dude was an avant-garde genius), and a really cool guy on a personal level. Does he go a little over the top sometimes? Yes. I agree wIth Hoop Dreams, talk to him. He is no monster.
DrDanger
HoopDreams;842304354 said:

the Shockster is one of the biggest Cal basketball fans, and best poster on this site. I think his interesting, funny, and creative commentary is not to be taken totally literally. He doesn't hide behind his handle like most here. He's out there for the entire Cal sports family to see. He not only invites us to attend games with him, but invites anyone to walk up to him after a game to chat.

He provides REAL info to this site, and does so with the blessing of various insiders. He doesn't just post stuff from dark rooms that would upset the insiders he knows. We know his info is credible and his sources are not from Boston Market.

He doesn't disclose any info that would hurt the program. Reading a recent post of his, I wasn't sure if I should feel more or less better about the possibility of Decuire becoming the next coach.

And don't forget the reason he started the Monster Class thread was to get some positive buzz around the Cal program for fans, recruits, and the team. My guess is the Monster Thread sets a record for the longest standing post in BI history.

It's all for the good of the program.

Now if you find some of his posts over the line, you could engage in a respectful conversation with him at the season opener. He lives in another state, but I think he will be there rooting on the new coaching staff and team.

Agree 100%.
Shocky walks the walk.
If you are offended, it is probably because you take yourself too seriously, or he found a flaw in your "Fandom". Get over it. He has!
OldBlue1999
I'm firmly on the Shocky bandwagon too. I may not agree with everything he posts, but I don't need to. It's clear he's doing what he can to try to help the program, and that's all that really matters.
Shocky1
89Bear;842304244 said:

Who is Blaine Taylor?

blaine taylor is a very important person in travis decuire's life both as a mentor & as a friend

td was an all big sky player for bt at montana & later was an assistant coach for him at old dominion

taylor has had an impressive 380-210 record as a hc & also served as an assistant coach under mike montgomery at stanford...he went to a 28 day rehab center in 1995 after being arrested for a dui twice the legal limit...taylor was fired during the 2012 season with a 2-20 record by the old dominion adminstrators 2 weeks after he acted bizzarely & incoherently on his local norfolk radio show

although taylor is a respected bb mind, he is too old (56), lacks west coast recruiting connections & potential personal challenges do not make him good fit for the associate hc position at cal

both justin labagh (40 minutes of hell uptempo style, 87.5% winning percentage, cal grad) & ken bone (strong knowledge of how to gameplan vs pac 12 opponents) are both viable candidates not only from a xxx's & ooo's standpoint but also their charismatic & approachable personalities to balance out the quiet & intense personalities of td & the rest of the staff

labagh's ccsf pension & bone's wsu buy out provisions in his contract are issues that would need to be addressed if they are offered the bear's associate hc position
Shocky1
played this week with bubba watson (the 6 foursomes all played 3 holes with him) at the tpc scottsdale stadium course in a corporate outing

bubba joins our group on the par 5 13th tee & during my pre shot routine of turning 3 times with the driver behind my back he says "woah, woah, what's that all about?"

so i tell him (with the cameras rolling, his round was recorded by a camerman & mic person along with a gopher) that "some of us do yoga, so that way when we play the 10th hole at augusta national we hit it in the fairway instead of 60 yards to the right deep into the woods" (watson won the 2012 masters with a miraculous recovery shot on the 10th hole after a crooked drive)

then i proceed to drop my driver and do a 30 second headstand on the tee box...polite applause from bubba

next tee bubba asks me as i'm moving into my tee shot, "you got a cal hat, are you a hippie?"

i look bubba in the eye and ask him "bubba, being from the south and all, do you think hippies should be allowed to vote?"

flicker of recongition in bubba's eyes that he doesn't have enough game to keep up with me when it comes to trash talking

since everybody else is in golfcarts, bubba & i walked the 3 holes together and i learned the following info:

***he's never had sushi
***he confirmed he resigned from whisper rock because his wife angie, a 3 handicpap & college bb player, never felt welcomed there
***belongs to estancia in north scottsdale, shot a 61 there the day before
***records his non tour rounds & is a +7.6 handicap
***majored in economics at georgia
***was interested in my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 courses...his favorite course on tour is muirfield village

bubba went eagle, birdie & eagle for the 3 holes

so as we finish up on the island green par 5 15th hole, he asks me in front of the cameras, "hey shocky, i was 5 under for those holes, what were you yoga boy?"

burn

namaste#

bubba watson isn't my favorite golfer...not even close

when bubba's wife angie recovered from an enlarged pituitary gland, the watsons made the decision to adopt caleb their beloved son

during the phx open when most pga tour players were chillaxing in their suites at the princess resort, bubba & his family enlisted other local families (including a dumb azz or two) to help box meals for a downtown food shelter for the homeless

bubba watson=better person than a golfer

2 green jackets#
Shocky1

bears looking to sign an explosive wing with ball skills
Shocky1
6'10" rim protector eric moreland has declared for the nba draft

craig robinson's osu beavers have now lost the 4 leading scoers from this season's 16-16 team in moreland, roberto nelson, devon collier & angus brandt

ruh roh#
tequila4kapp
Shocky1;842304533 said:

6'10" rim protector eric moreland has declared for the nba draft

craig robinson's osu beavers have now lost the 4 leading scoers from this season's 16-16 team in moreland, roberto nelson, devon collier & angus brandt

ruh roh#

Just think how much worse the team and transfers would be if their HC wasn't AA and able to relate to the players...
HoopDreams
Wow, that's a lot of talent to lose in one year.
I thought the season just ended, was going to be the year that OSU made their move. Nelson and Brandt were rare talents, and Moreland was an athlete. Collier was a solid starter.

Their only returning starter, Cooke was not impressive, and their sixth man, Walker (who Cal recruited) is just a defender.

Looks like they drop to bottom on the Pac

Shocky1;842304533 said:

ruh roh#
BeggarEd
Shocky1;842304223 said:

you don't see anything wrong in 1947's comments because u r a stoopid dumb azz

maybe you 2 should meet for drinks or something

r u tryin 2 rite like a teenage gurl all the time or wat?

socaltownie
OldBlue1999;842304366 said:

I'm firmly on the Shocky bandwagon too. I may not agree with everything he posts, but I don't need to. It's clear he's doing what he can to try to help the program, and that's all that really matters.

I have 2 problems with Shockster. One, he objectifies women. He and I have talked often in PM about that. He notes he is not "writing for me". That said, I think still think it is over the top and he should take one step back and reflect on whether he is part of the problem in a society that does that far too much. Two, I dislike how he privileges his definition of fandom. Especially over the top is condemning what Shockster calls "TV Fans" - especially those with kids/outside of the Bay Area. Everyone's life is different. Priorities have to be made. Some of us are more affluent than others. When it costs $1200 to fly a family of 4 to Berkeley from So Cal it seems fairly asinine to throw sarcastic comments around like they are cheap types on a key board. And as an aside - he really does come from a different generation - where there was nothing wrong with men taking off hours/days at a time and leaving the kids with the wife. My golf game (sadly) knows that many of us live in a different time and so if we go to the Bears game it isn't "solo" but with the brood in tow and if we go to the golf course for 7 hours on a saturday you damm well know we are babysitting on Sunday while the wife goes to the spa (and even then we are going to be hearing about it for a month)

Now all that said, Shockster donates to Cal (good), follows High School hoops obsessively (more good) and provides I think solid props to the program (even more good). People don't really change but it would be so much more enjoyable to come to the site if we didn't see as much objectification of women and we toned down the self righteousness (and braggadocios "look at me" kind of posts).
Shocky1
BeggarEd;842304545 said:

r u tryin 2 rite like a teenage gurl all the time or wat?

what up, eddie?...im p/u my 2 teenage girlz shay + taylor @2 pm from skool to fly to sf cuz we gonna c chance the rapper @8 pm tonite @the warfield

chance played coachella yday w/justin bieber joining wit 2 songs

r u gonna b there 2 tonite?

cocoa butter kisses#
concordtom
Shocky1;842304590 said:

what up, eddie?...im p/u my 2 teenage girlz shay + taylor @2 pm from skool to fly to sf cuz we gonna c chance the rapper @8 pm tonite @the warfield

cocoa butter kisses#

You may be about as polarizing as Sarah Palin.
tequila4kapp
I'm a little late to the Shocky scene... I did get a chuckle out of the objectifying women comment though...all I've seen are pictures of women who voluntarily choose to publicly display their bodies in a sexual manner elsewhere, almost certainly in front of way more people than will ever see it here (NBA cheerleaders, SI swimsuit models, etc.). Unless I've missed something that changes that equation I say no harm, no foul.
UCBerkGrad
Wait. Objectifying women is not a compliment?
oski003
socaltownie;842304568 said:

I have 2 problems with Shockster. One, he objectifies women. He and I have talked often in PM about that. He notes he is not "writing for me". That said, I think still think it is over the top and he should take one step back and reflect on whether he is part of the problem in a society that does that far too much. Two, I dislike how he privileges his definition of fandom. Especially over the top is condemning what Shockster calls "TV Fans" - especially those with kids/outside of the Bay Area. Everyone's life is different. Priorities have to be made. Some of us are more affluent than others. When it costs $1200 to fly a family of 4 to Berkeley from So Cal it seems fairly asinine to throw sarcastic comments around like they are cheap types on a key board. And as an aside - he really does come from a different generation - where there was nothing wrong with men taking off hours/days at a time and leaving the kids with the wife. My golf game (sadly) knows that many of us live in a different time and so if we go to the Bears game it isn't "solo" but with the brood in tow and if we go to the golf course for 7 hours on a saturday you damm well know we are babysitting on Sunday while the wife goes to the spa (and even then we are going to be hearing about it for a month)

Now all that said, Shockster donates to Cal (good), follows High School hoops obsessively (more good) and provides I think solid props to the program (even more good). People don't really change but it would be so much more enjoyable to come to the site if we didn't see as much objectification of women and we toned down the self righteousness (and braggadocios "look at me" kind of posts).

1) Women are objectified on this site by more than just Shocky. It happens all over the internet, especially on a male-dominated sports board. Not sure what the answer is for those offended by it, but I don't mind it. I just have to be mindful that my fiance is not right next to me when I open up certain threads.

2) Be comfortable with yourself and your level of support with the program. If you go to a game in L.A. each year and make a strong effort to attend one other game, be it at Haas or Las Vegas, that's pretty darn good for a Cal alum in So Cal. You shouldn't let it bother you.

3) Shocky is what he is, interesting and annoying with a unique perspective. He gives me insight that I otherwise wouldn't have even though I have to take a lot with a grain of salt and sift through a lot of junk. I'd rather have him here than not here.
socaltownie
oski003;842304650 said:

1) Women are objectified on this site...

Wait till you have a daughter....especially a pre-adolescent daughter - and how our society's perspective seeps down into what they think about themselves. I used to be right there with the (male) crowd. Being a dad to a feisty girl opens up ones eyes.
concordtom
I concurred with socal's comment about objectification of women being a no-no.

oski003;842304650 said:

1) Women are objectified on this site by more than just Shocky. It happens all over the internet, especially on a male-dominated sports board. Oh, okay, so let's just continue to do that then!(Surely you don't have any daughters, do you.)

oski003;842304650 said:

1)Not sure what the answer is for those offended by it, but I don't mind it. I just have to be mindful that my fiance is not.

Just as I thought, no daughters....

By the way, Shocky has 2 teenage daughters, and I just don't know if he understands that he reduces them to T&A every time he posts like that, which he says THEY post. They must be thinking there's value in that sort of thing if their dad posts it.

I'm trying to raise my daughters to not see themselves, either thru their own eyes or others' eyes, for the merits of their bodies but their minds. So, I don't have room for the opposite message. Unfortunately, it is EVERYWHERE! And where the good sons-in law are going to come from I don't know either. They are polluted by nature (it's what makes the human race continue), moreso by society's ever-laxing norms.

Hopefully the potential recruits that Shocky writes for will be enlightened by this discussion.
BeggarEd
Shocky1;842304590 said:

cocoa butter kisses#

Glad to see you are a dedicated Chance the rapper fan, and not just a dumbazz "radio fan" who just downloads a few MP3s and never sees him live. I just got back from 4 days in Tahoe so I'll be working late tonight to get caught up.

No Warfield tonight for me. Watch your step outside the venue tonight as I walk by there every morning on the way to work, and those piles of poop on the sidewalk ain't from dogs.

#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842304590 said:

cocoa butter kisses#

Do you charter a jet or do you have your own?
OldBlue1999
Townie I'm on your bandwagon too even though I don't agree with everything you post either. I love your passion; I love Shocky's passion. The two of you just express yourselves differently. I think I get what each of you is trying to say/do when you post, and I think overall things are better here because we have both of you doing what you do. I also get that you have bigger issues with some of the stuff Shocky posts than I do, which I respect.
oski003
concordtom;842304672 said:

I concurred with socal's comment about objectification of women being a no-no.

Just as I thought, no daughters....

By the way, Shocky has 2 teenage daughters, and I just don't know if he understands that he reduces them to T&A every time he posts like that, which he says THEY post. They must be thinking there's value in that sort of thing if their dad posts it.

I'm trying to raise my daughters to not see themselves, either thru their own eyes or others' eyes, for the merits of their bodies but their minds. So, I don't have room for the opposite message. Unfortunately, it is EVERYWHERE! And where the good sons-in law are going to come from I don't know either. They are polluted by nature (it's what makes the human race continue), moreso by society's ever-laxing norms.

Hopefully the potential recruits that Shocky writes for will be enlightened by this discussion.

Keep on the good fight. I suppose you ban / never read Sports Illustrated because they have a swimsuit issue.

Hey, I don't post pics of scantily clad women and choose not to do so. However, I feel that too many Cal fans are straight out of PCU. One of the most annoying things is those people that can't stand when we rip on another school. They feel compelled to "expose" all of our shortcomings because, well, it's only fair to be unbiased. Cast stones, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, maybe my viewpoint will change if and when I have daughters. Even so, I'm not sure I would protest Shocky's posts. Rather, I'd ignore him and not open this thread.
Shocky1
nigel-williams goss will be returning for his soph season in the drizzy northwest

with the departures of all pac 12 cj wilcox, starting center perris blackwell, slated starting forward desmond simmons transfering & 6'11"" 255 lbs robert upshaw who was kicked out of fresno state now flunking out of uw, washington (17-15, t8th place, missed ncaa tnt 3 yrs in a row) continues their downward slide into oblivision

the washington bb program jumped the shark when lorenzo romar (who is a good guy) allowed future convicted rapist & pimp overton to continue to play for the huskies instead of suspending him

the return of nigel-williams goss will ensure that washington doesn't lose 20+ games next season
socaltownie
oski003;842304728 said:

Keep on the good fight. I suppose you ban / never read Sports Illustrated because they have a swimsuit issue.

Hey, I don't post pics of scantily clad women and choose not to do so. However, I feel that too many Cal fans are straight out of PCU. One of the most annoying things is those people that can't stand when we rip on another school. They feel compelled to "expose" all of our shortcomings because, well, it's only fair to be unbiased. Cast stones, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, maybe my viewpoint will change if and when I have daughters. Even so, I'm not sure I would protest Shocky's posts. Rather, I'd ignore him and not open this thread.

Here is a sentiment that I think sums up my feelings on this pretty well. Read it and reflect.

http://www.today.com/moms/dads-letter-daughter-forget-makeup-your-beauty-inside-2D12111554
oski003
socaltownie;842304734 said:

Here is a sentiment that I think sums up my feelings on this pretty well. Read it and reflect.

http://www.today.com/moms/dads-letter-daughter-forget-makeup-your-beauty-inside-2D12111554

thank you for the link. I don't like how society undervalues a woman's intelligence, confidence, and inner-beauty. I gree that the pervasiveness of sexifying women contributes to this. However, I still don't agree with the need to complain about sexy photos of women on a sports board.

Regardless, I give up
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.