cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,267,347 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Particularly the article featuring Kameron Rooks and his defensive clogging of the middle was great.

Excited to see him looming in the paint at Haas!

Wonderful to see he takes defending so seriously.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
despite a valiant 28 pts by jr amhaad rorie (cu commit fletch brought his c game) the lincoln abes (22-4) dreams for a state title now belong to the ages after an 86-67 tacoma/seattle civil war in the washington state semifinal playoffs

ar entered the game with season averages of 21 ppg, 5 rpg & 5 apg
Shocky1
the bears monster class actually started with monty & crew outrecruiting tad boyle in an intense down to the wire battle for t-wall

t-wall=3.55 gpa=most infectious enthusiasm known to mankind=fearless golden bear

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
concordtom
could rorie be randle jr?
south bender
Shocky1;842091184 said:

the bears monster class actually started with monty & crew outrecruiting tad boyle in an intense down to the wire battle for t-wall

t-wall=3.55 gpa=most infectious enthusiasm known to mankind=fearless golden bear

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world

Ty is our Magic Johnson!

Go Bears!
antipattern
Shocky1;842091184 said:

Yeah, I had forgotten he was considering Colorado. So glad they don't have him! He'd have a chance to start over Booker, and even if he didn't would take all of Chen's minutes. Needless to say they'd be a lot better, and we'd be a lot worse.
Shocky1
concordtom;842091289 said:

could rorie be randle jr?

yes, taller & stronger w/o the early college headstrong problems (just took a while for rome to grow up)

emerging superstar amhaad rorie scored 29 pts including 4 3 pters as lincoln (23-4) beat franklin 77-69 in the dead president's campaign for 3rd place in the state of washington playoffs

ar is 2014's top pg in the western united states from a cal big board perspective

reasons why ar is a better cal fit despite parker jackson-cartwright of loyola (who commited to arizona over ucla this week) being ranked higher by the "experts"

gpa: amhaad rorie's 3.8 gpa makes him an ideal cal student athlete & bears floor general for monty & co vs parker jackson-cartwright's 2.95 gpa

scoring/shooting skills: not even close particuarly from 3 pt shooting, ar is money & getting better

defense: ar's 6', 170 lbs is preferred over pjc's 5'7" 140 lbs (he is quick)

durability: little guys like pjc get injured more easily, ask dominic artis

distribution: pjc is a more skilled & clever passer at this time with a highber bb iq

offseason goals for ar to post on his wall:

1) continue your strong classroom work...don't slide, be elite in all facets of your life
2) gain 10 lbs of good weight/muscle to become more capable of taking hits when attacking the rack and still finishing
3) develop relationships w/your future potential 2014 bigs including fitzner, diallo, welsh and your boy dorsey
4) start giving away all your freezing cold azz northwest clothing...california dreamin' baby

go abes
Civil Bear
Shocky1;842091319 said:

durability: little guys like pjc get injured more easily, ask dominic artis

I would guess the opposite is true. Just ask every big with a foot or back problem.
Shocky1
Civil Bear;842091326 said:

I would guess the opposite is true. Just ask every big with a foot or back problem.

d1 bb is brutally physical...not too many 140 lb guys can take the pounding from a 6'10" 250 lb knocking you down while you are in the air in the lane

ar is much more muscular & durable than pcj
Shocky1
#24 marked man jordan matthews scored 13 pts on only 4-18 shooting as the santa monica vikings (26-6) invaded & upset el toro 66-56 to claim the southern section division 1a championship at the dizzyland convention center

jm entered the game averaging 24.5 ppg & 8 rpg

#1 2015 ivan rabb scored 25 pts (11-13 fts) with 10 boards as the bod dragons (26-3) fireroasted el cerrito 89-78 to capture the north coast section division III championship
Shocky1
it was a dark and stormy night as the bird scored 20 pts and attacked from every angle including the roof as salesian (30-3) soared over cardinal newman 65-34 to claim the north coast section division IV championship...hc bill mellis dnp c. nightingale because of his inability to learn any plays other than the skinny hook (touchdown bears)
Shocky1
7'3/4" kameron rooks scored 22 pts with 14 boards + 5 blocks as the mission hills grizzlies (27-4) imposed a sd zoo lockdown on the el camino wildcats 52-42 to feast on the cif sd section playoffs championship trophy

the bears monster class knows winning>>>>looosing

Shocky1
what is the current hot/trendy recruiting practice being deployed by cal athletics?

the coaching mob flash recruit visit

sonny dykes loaded up his entire staff for the short drive to hand deliver the ec3 their cal elite jr day invitations in person

monty & co all visited 6'9" 230 lbs, 3.3 gpa idrissa diallo (originally from senegal) in los angeles

after the money game showdown wed nite against stanford, cal will not play until the following thursday in las vegas, therefore monty, travis, gottlieb & john jr will have the opportunity to mob flash bod fri nite and mitty sat nite

montyball baby!
concordtom
Shocky1;842091857 said:

montyball baby!

Richard Lee has an extra E in his name that he will trade for a T.
Vineyardview
Recent tweet from Jordan Mathews‏ - That's the way to represent!!

@Jaymathews24

Just found out I won ocean league MVP! #forthebelt #bestweekendever
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842092053 said:

@Jaymathews24

great news...wonder if the ocean league mvp trophy comes with a date with a couple of hottie lifeguards?

go bares

congrats jm (jonah will have his chance in the near future too...)
concordtom
Vineyardview;842092053 said:

@Jaymathews24

Congrats!
I've got to think that the son of a coach understands that there are so many ways, besides scoring, that a player can impact the outcome of a game. I imagine that Jordan could have had even higher point averages if he was not a coach's kid. I look forward to seeing his "complete game" in Berkeley next year.
sluggo_Cal
concordtom;842092270 said:

Congrats!
I've got to think that the son of a coach understands that there are so many ways, besides scoring, that a player can impact the outcome of a game. I imagine that Jordan could have had even higher point averages if he was not a coach's kid. I look forward to seeing his "complete game" in Berkeley next year.

Jordan was not shy about shooting the ball. Not should he be as by far the best player on his team. His game is scoring. With his strength and athletic ability I imagine he will become a good defender. He certainly won't get pushed around.

Sluggo
Vineyardview
Who is Cal following, recruiting or given an offer?

Zylan Cheatham 2014 SF 6'7"185 Pheonix
Idrissa Diallo 2014 PF 6'9" 230 Los Angeles 3 star
Evan Fitzner 2014 PF 6'10" 210 San Diego
Jordan McLaughlin 2014 G 5'11 160 Etwanda 4 star
Thomas Welsh 2014 C 7'0 210 Los Anfeles

Tyler Dorsey 2015 SG 6'4" 180 Bellflower 5 star
Charles Mathews 2015 SG 6'4" Chicago 5 star

Ivan Rabb 2015 PF 6'9 195 Oakland 5 star
Diamond Stone 2015 C 6'10" 253 Milwaukee 5 star
Elijah Thomas 2015 PF 6'9" 235 Dallas 4 star
Stephen Zimmerman 2015 Center 6'10" 202 Las Vegas 5 star
Vineyardview
Things are coming apart for the Az Wildcats. Just lost out to UNC for their priority recruit Justin Jackson.

He just announced: Justin Jackson‏ "I have decided to attend the University of North Carolina!!"

Will A. Gordon also see the hand writing on the wall, Az. empty suit - coaching vacuum.
OdontoBear66
Vineyardview;842092323 said:

Who is Cal following, recruiting or given an offer?

Zylan Cheatham 2014 SF 6'7"185 Pheonix
Idrissa Diallo 2014 PF 6'9" 230 Los Angeles 3 star
Evan Fitzner 2014 PF 6'10" 210 San Diego
Jordan McLaughlin 2014 G 5'11 160 Etwanda 4 star
Thomas Welsh 2014 C 7'0 210 Los Anfeles

Tyler Dorsey 2015 SG 6'4" 180 Bellflower 5 star
Charles Mathews 2015 SG 6'4" Chicago 5 star

Ivan Rabb 2015 PF 6'9 195 Oakland 5 star
Diamond Stone 2015 C 6'10" 253 Milwaukee 5 star
Elijah Thomas 2015 PF 6'9" 235 Dallas 4 star
Stephen Zimmerman 2015 Center 6'10" 202 Las Vegas 5 star

Ya' gotta love "Diamond Stone" at 6'10" and 253 lbs. And then to have him be a 5* to boot....How many carats?
pnaidu
If we win the PAC 12 tournament, would that almost clinch getting Aaron Gordon? When does he have to sign?
parentswerebears
I hate this, playing the AG waiting game. We aren't on his list, yet our coaching staff is still talking to him. Are we still in play or not? I kind of wish he would just commit already. Every time he is mentioned, I get a sense of hope, and yet- the realist in me says that all of the signs point to no.
concordtom
I like this angle - rooting for the recruiting failures of our opponents! I know we like the Pac12 to be strong, but at the same time, I like it. (chuckle)

Regarding AG and the coaching staff still going to visit his games - hey, you've GOT to do that, even if the chances are super slim. It's their job!
Shocky1
miami vice/keeping up with the kardashians update: spoke with ransom everglades bb hc claude grubair re: sam singer's final game in the florida state finals...sam does not want this out there (claude & i feel otherwise) but ss had a severely sprained right wrist from the university game...on the 2nd play of his final game, his middle finger of his shooting (right) hand was also dislocated...ss didn't complain and did the best he could as a true gamer but ended up missing all 6 fts (for the year he shot fts at 78%)

ss is currently sporting a cast which will be removed in the near future

sam is already focused on his training prior to his arrival in berkeley this summer & looking forward to working with his new teammates...as unselfish a player as ss, he will seasmlessly fit into the bears program

should be mentioned that after sam commited to cal, tommy amaker was the 1st coach to call and congragulate ss (not all of the other coaches were as classy in speaking with coach grubair)

singer ended up his ransom everglades career with 2135 pts

as for trey manning, amIII, he has told his coach that if there is any school that would be a favorite other than georgetown, it would be cal because of his friendship with sam...the ball is in monty's court now

amIII is still growing and might be 7' for his season year and can run the floor...cal's fast pace down court after rebounds style of play might be a real plus vs the hoyas more deliberate game

amIII is an elite student too with an eye on international business & a 3.6 gpa...the haas biz school's #3 ranking in the us is a plus for the bears

go raiders (and joes stone crabs)
puget sound cal fan
Great update on Sam Singer, who I think will shine at Cal. His game already sounds pretty well-rounded, besides his deadly marksmanship, and he has leadership qualities that will only become more evident as the competition intensifies. The note about his teammate, amIII, is certainly tantalizing, too.
OdontoBear66
Also very nice to find that his seeming reversal in his final game was due to valid injury, directly relating to shooting touch. But even more important that he is made of fiber not to use same as an excuse. Sounds like one very good student/athlete to be at Cal. Thanks for the report Shocky----it just adds to his luster.
SFBearz
Shocky1;842091857 said:

what is the current hot/trendy recruiting practice being deployed by cal athletics?

the coaching mob flash recruit visit

sonny dykes loaded up his entire staff for the short drive to hand deliver the ec3 their cal elite jr day invitations in person

monty & co all visited 6'9" 230 lbs, 3.3 gpa idrissa diallo (originally from senegal) in los angeles

after the money game showdown wed nite against stanford, cal will not play until the following thursday in las vegas, therefore monty, travis, gottlieb & john jr will have the opportunity to mob flash bod fri nite and mitty sat nite

montyball baby!

Diallo is an intriguing player and there will be lots of competition for him. Last week he visited Ucla and they offered on his visit.
parentswerebears
concordtom;842092861 said:

Regarding AG and the coaching staff still going to visit his games - hey, you've GOT to do that, even if the chances are super slim. It's their job!

Too true! Hoping all of the stars line up!
R90
Had #14, #12, #10, #9 and #7 on this collection of the top-15 plays in February:

Also had an impressive honorable mention and provided the blocked shot that led to #15 for another guy.

Jabari Bird had an honorable mention.
concordtom
Here's a video of a recent game by JORDAN MATHEWS at Santa Monica HS. He's #24 in White. You might want to fast forward to the start of the game at 13:30 rather than wait thru the finish of the prior game and warm ups. Then Jordan starts getting involved in the game right from the get go.

concordtom
Here's a complete game video of Ahmad Rorie, wearing #14 in dark blue jersey, coming to Cal in 2014-5.
Rorie hits 2 3's in the first minute or so of action. Nice. See you in Berkeley in a few hours!

Shocky1
ocean league mvp jordan matthews lit it up for 37 pts as the santa monica vikings (27-6) invaded narbonne 73-68 in the so cal d1 regional playoffs...nnamdi dnp for the gauchos

7'3/4" kameron rooks scored 16 pts with 9 boards but most importantly made the game's final 2 deciding pts with 2 clutch fts with 21.3 seconds left as mission hills flippered the dana point dolphins 56-55 in the so cal d1 regional playoffs...kr's hc curtis hofmeister said, "those are the most pressurized free throws in kameron's life...tonight he was the right guy at the right time"

7' vastly improving blue collar thomas welsh scored 20 pts (6-6 fts) & 15 boards as loyola (23-7) tormented the taft toreadors 76-68 in the so cal d1 regional playoffs
Shocky1
senior night (hey, did anybody remember to post coach gottlieb's bail tonight?)

bak bak-his eyes have seen the atrocities of humankind yet he has survived and will graduate with a diploma from the #1 ranked public university in the world

brandon smith-god fearing point guard leader that the phrase high character doesn't even begin to describe

thurminator-our berkelely based super hero...gonna name our family's next halo rescue dog after him

will the resist the urge next week to rent a maserati in lv and will instead take a yoga class or two and play shadow creek...vegas baby

namaste
Vineyardview
Mission Hills C Kameron Rooks was named the CIF San Diego Section player of the year.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.