cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,155 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
firm cal commit (thx travis) and potential 2014 mcdonalds all american facilitator/scorer amhaad rorie continues his upward trajectory ascension in leading his northwest (cold azz) panthers to the championship game of the addidas exclusive run tnt in dallas...evan daniels noted ar as a top 5 tnt player that "made shots from mid-range out to three, created for teammates and showed an all around improved game"...did i mention that ar also has a 3.8 gpa?

represent the bay#
2014 bears monster class#
university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842116394 said:

firm cal commit (thx travis) and potential 2014 mcdonalds all american facilitator/scorer amhaad rorie continues his upward trajectory ascension in leading his northwest (cold azz) panthers to the championship game of the addidas exclusive run tnt in dallas...evan daniels noted ar as a top 5 tnt player that "made shots from mid-range out to three, created for teammates and showed an all around improved game"...did i mention that ar also has a 3.8 gpa?

represent the bay#
2014 bears monster class#
university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world

Rorie's a guy that could end up being a lot better than where he is currently ranked (a la Trey Burke, who was ranked in the 80's). He'll probably move up the rankings by end of this summer.
parentswerebears
I think that, while the 13 class is awesome, I think that Rorie is the true program changer. A point that can run the the team in the absence of the coach ( at least that is how I understood Espn's write up)? Wow!
smokeyrover
parentswerebears;842116397 said:

I think that, while the 13 class is awesome, I think that Rorie is the true program changer. A point that can run the the team in the absence of the coach ( at least that is how I understood Espn's write up)? Wow!

Agree as pg is such a key position. Prospective bigs want to know who will be getting them the ball. Rorie's early commit has allowed him to help recruit for a year.

Rorie was the coach on the floor and on the bench for their championship game run -- the NW Panthers coach didn't get cleared for the tournament.

Combined with Telep's quote about his demeanor I like what this is saying about AR's leadership potential.
seattlebear02
parentswerebears;842116397 said:

Agree about Rorie. I really wish he were in this year's class so we could see him sooner and not class of 2014...oh well, patience is a virtue...
Shocky1
seattlebear02;842116424 said:

Agree about Rorie. I really wish he were in this year's class so we could see him sooner and not class of 2014...oh well, patience is a virtue...

seattlebear02, can bears fans count on you checking out one of ar's games this nov/dec at lincoln hs in tacoma or when they play on the road against one of the seattle schools?
seattlebear02
Shocky1;842116479 said:

seattlebear02, can bears fans count on you checking out one of ar's games this nov/dec at lincoln hs in tacoma or when they play on the road against one of the seattle schools?

Unfortunately, I live in the Bay and not Seattle...I need to change my misleading username lol

Trust me, I would love to see Rorie and Lincoln HS face Seattle powerhouses Rainier Beach or Franklin in the 3A state tournament next year!
calumnus
seattlebear02;842116424 said:

True, though thankfully we have Cobbs for another year.
Shocky1
cal myth #1: monty doesn't recruit on the aau circuit

fact: mr cranky pants attended more than a half a dozen aau games this weekend in so cal including ivan the terrible & key priority tx big elijah thomas (who is bonding with travis) from the 2015 class and thomas welsh & evan fitzner from the 2014 class in addition to an in home visit with welsh & his family and also a visit with idrissa diallo & coach middlebrooks

cal myth #2: cal bb doesn't graduate its players under monty

fact: while it is true that monty graduated 95% of his stanford players, mr cranky pants had a ZERO grad rate during his stint with the golden state warriors

the bears student athletes successfully recruited 100% by monty, travis decuire, gregg gottlieb, johnny jr and jay john:

justin cobbs-3.3 gpa@bishop montgomery
tryone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
kahlil johnson-scholastic honor roll@price
jabari bird-3.0+ gpa@salesian
jordan matthews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
amhaad rorie-3.8 gpa@lincoln

other than nba opportunities, all of these bears will likely graduate from cal with a diploma

juan anderson, 3.0 gpa @castro valley is currently being heavily recruited for 2013 since his marquette transfer while the 2014 bigs of idrissa diallo (3.33 gpa), evan fitzner (3.0+ at an academically rigorous school) and thomas welsh (3.7 gpa @loyola) are all solid students

this leads to the shockster opinion that the bears have successfuly clawed & climbed out of the academic dumb azzzz potty hole dug by ben braun and are now in a position to take an academic silver bullet chance on elk grove's 2014 elite top 25 talent malik pope...malik is currently rehabbing a fractured tibia but before the jr year ending injury shot a stellar 67.8% on fgs, 47.4% on 3 pters in averaging an unselfish (shades of the bird) 15.6 ppg with 1.5 blocks & 6.5 rpg...mp handles like a guard with legit range, next level bounce and crazy quicks

malik shows a mature sense of self awareness in speaking re: the necessity of dialing up his academic efforts to achieve his stated goal of a 3.0 gpa: "i'm off to a rough start but i'm getting there, no worries"

one of pope's stated key college criteria will be early pt which will rule out kentucky, arizona, etc...at 6'7" 183 lbs pope can play the 3 with jb at the 2 when the bears go big and can play the 4 with jb at the 3 when the bears go quick...the bears are in contact at least once a week & scouted several of his games last season

malik's mom wants him to stay grounded & focused on the books

moms know best#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
FrankCohen
Shocky1;842116941 said:

cal myth #1: monty doesn't recruit on the aau circuit

fact: mr cranky pants attended more than a half a dozen aau games this weekend in so cal including ivan the terrible & key priority tx big elijah thomas (who is bonding with travis) from the 2015 class and thomas welsh & evan fitzner from the 2014 class in addition to an in home visit with welsh & his family and also a visit with idrissa diallo & coach middlebrooks

cal myth #2: cal bb doesn't graduate its players under monty

fact: while it is true that monty graduated 95% of his stanford players, mr cranky pants had a ZERO grad rate during his stint with the golden state warriors

the bears student athletes successfully recruited 100% by monty, travis decuire, gregg gottlieb, johnny jr and jay john:

tryone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+ gpa@salesian
jordan matthews-3.55 gpa@santa monica

other than nba opportunities, all of these bears will likely graduate from cal with a diploma

juan anderson, 3.0 gpa @castro valley is currently being heavily recruited for 2013 since his marquette transfer while the 2014 bigs of idrissa diallo (3.33 gpa), evan fitzner (3.0+ at an academically rigorous school) and thomas welsh (3.7 gpa @loyola) are all solid students

this leads to the shockster opinion that the bears have successfuly clawed & climbed out of the academic dumb azzzz potty hole dug by ben braun and are now in a position to take an academic silver bullet chance on elk grove's 2014 elite top 25 talent malik pope...malik is currently rehabbing a fractured tibia but before the jr year ending injury shot a stellar 67.8% on fgs, 47.4% on 3 pters in averaging an unselfish (shades of the bird) 15.6 ppg with 1.5 blocks & 6.5 rpg...mp handles like a guard with legit range, next level bounce and crazy quicks

malik shows a mature sense of self awareness in speaking re: the necessity of dialing up his academic efforts to achieve his stated goal of a 3.0 gpa: "i'm off to a rough start but i'm getting there, no worries"

one of pope's stated key college criteria will be early pt which will rule out kentucky, arizona, etc...at 6'7" 183 lbs pope can play the 3 with jb at the 2 when the bears go big and can play the 4 with jb at the 3 when the bears go quick...the bears are in contact at least once a week & scouted several of his games last season

malik's mom wants him to stay grounded & focused on the books

moms know best#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world

So Cal is recruiting Juan Anderson? Is it an either/or situation with him and Roger Moute a Bidias or would the staff find room for both?
tsubamoto2001
If we take one more guy, it looks like we'll have 2 more rides to offer. From what Shocky is saying, it looks like we're going after possibly 2 bigs, or 1 big and 1 wing/forward.

R. Kreklow
D. Kravish

C. Behrens
T. Wallace
K. Johnson

J. Bird
J. Mathews
S. Singer
K. Rooks
2013 Transfer/Recruit

A. Rorie
2014 Recruit
2014 Recruit
sluggo_Cal
tsubamoto2001;842116998 said:

If we take one more guy, it looks like we'll have 2 more rides to offer. From what Shocky is saying, it looks like we're going after possibly 2 bigs, or 1 big and 1 wing/forward.

R. Kreklow
D. Kravish

C. Behrens
T. Wallace
K. Johnson

J. Bird
J. Mathews
S. Singer
K. Rooks
2013 Transfer/Recruit

A. Rorie
2014 Recruit
2014 Recruit

I would classify Behrens one class up. I suppose it is possible that he gets a redshirt for last year, but my understanding is that he does not qualify as he played in 7 games out of 33, which is more than 20 percent (not sure how they do rounding).

Sluggo
smokeyrover
sluggo_Cal;842117003 said:

I would classify Behrens one class up. I suppose it is possible that he gets a redshirt for last year, but my understanding is that he does not qualify as he played in 7 games out of 33, which is more than 20 percent (not sure how they do rounding).

Sluggo

Behrens states here that he'll "get a redshirt" and "won't lose a year." Haven't seen any further confirmation.

tsubamoto2001;842116998 said:

R. Kreklow
D. Kravish

C. Behrens
T. Wallace
K. Johnson

J. Bird
J. Mathews
S. Singer
K. Rooks
2013 Transfer/Recruit

A. Rorie
2014 Recruit
2014 Recruit

In 2014 with Kravish, Behrens, and Rooks the only posts, I think 2 of those 3 open spots go to bigs unless Frid becomes Thurman-like by his sophomore year.

If they take Anderson or Moute a Bidias this year, that would seem to rule out taking another wing in 2014 unless Pope wants to come on board (or possibly Zylan Cheatham).

2014 bigs -- Diallo, Eleraky(?), Fitzner, Welsh.
Shocky1
there's a popular radio segment here in the valley of the sun that my daughters shay & taylor like to listen to in the morning during our drive to school called war of the roses

basically some suspicious gf/wife calls in and then the radio personality surreptitiously calls her bf/husband offering a free romantic getaway to a "new" resort in sedona, they just need to say who they would like to invite for booking purposes...sometimes they say the gf/wife but sometimes they say "tiffani" (or whoever) which really pisses of the gf/wife when she comes on the air

usually the busted stooopid guy says he meant to say his relationship woman but it is true in life that the 1st thing out of your mouth is most often the truth

so what college did 2015's #1 player on planet earth mention 1st when recently asked regarding his collegiate leaders?

"california"

ivan rabb is remarkably well spoken & articulate and well grounded: "i will be looking at not only the basketball but the academics...i work hard on the court but i also work hard every year to get better in the classroom...it is not just about basketball, it's about academics too...i want to have something to fall back on in case basketball doesn't work out"

ivan is definitely no shabazzzzzzzzzzzzz

what schools are recruiting him the hardest?

"cal, ucla, arizona, north carolina state and ohio state"

monty personally attended several of ir's aau games this weekend and travis will be watching the oakland solidiers when they travel to virginia in what is shaping up to be the most INTENSE recruitment in cal bb history

family matters#
fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public university in the world
socaltownie
That is an absolutely EVIL radio segment ;-)

Oh but bad news...it may not be real (eeeechhh...hope Ivan is)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Roses_(radio_show)
Shocky1
socaltownie;842117597 said:

That is an absolutely EVIL radio segment ;-)

Oh but bad news...it may not be real (eeeechhh...hope Ivan is)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Roses_(radio_show)

socal, totally agree that the show is probably staged most of the time

isn't it highly unusual that the guy always answers the phone?...they never get a voice recording, busy signal, a secretary etc.

and the guy never answers the phone with his last name as is a common biz practice on a weekday at 8:00 am, it is always "hey, this is bob"

hmmmmmm.......
concordtom
Shocky1;842117453 said:

there's a popular radio segment here in the valley of the sun that my daughters shay & taylor like to listen to in the morning during our drive to school called war of the roses

basically some suspicious gf/wife calls in and then the radio personality surreptitiously calls her bf/husband offering a free romantic getaway to a "new" resort in sedona, they just need to say who they would like to invite for booking purposes...sometimes they say the gf/wife but sometimes they say "tiffani" (or whoever) which really pisses of the gf/wife when she comes on the air

usually the busted stooopid guy says he meant to say his relationship woman but it is true in life that the 1st thing out of your mouth is most often the truth

You mean like this?
(I've been listening to this over and over for 15 years, at least)
concordtom
smokeyrover;842117019 said:

Behrens states here that he'll "get a redshirt" and "won't lose a year." Haven't seen any further confirmation.

Sure was nice to listen to this interview.
Even more, he sure seems like a nice guy!
I'm suddenly a Richard Behrens fan!
south bender
concordtom;842117899 said:

Sure was nice to listen to this interview.
Even more, he sure seems like a nice guy!
I'm suddenly a Richard Behrens fan!

I felt the same way, CT.

Can't help but root for the guy, so sweet and unpretentious.

I hope his luck with his body goes well and he can live out his basketball dreams.

Go Bears!
stu
Christian Behrens?
south bender
Christian Behrens.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842105599 said:

for those of you with a new totally hot gf (or bf, whatever) that you met at pietro de positano on italy's sun drenched amalfi coast on the hotel's private boat on the way over to capri during spring break, here's an overview for them re: your bears

who is oski?

oski is a cranky, sometimes socially insensitive, slightly overweight bears icon who stomps around haas pointing & glaring at the refs

how is this oski different than monty?

no difference

oski=monty except he also has a classy wife sarah and very cute daughter anne

after ben braun's academic slide into the abyss (shades of jt's final years), is monty recruiting better student athletes?

bears starting line up:

alan crabbe-3.39 gpa@price
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
6th man ricky kreklow-3.72@rocky bridge
potential 1st big off the bench christian behrens-3.5@tahoma

bears monster class:

jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan matthews-3.55 gpa@santa montica

did monty fully understand the unique challenges of recruiting student athletes to cal when he first arrived in berkeley?

no and mistakes were made...organizational personnel changes have addresssed this past liability

how strong is the bears current recruiting team?

travis, gottlieb & monty jr under jay john's watchful eye are relentless & work as hard as any staff on the west coast

monty is a good closer but not interested in watching 200 aau games every summer

will there be any player roster changes (plural) this offseason?

yes-most likely

what is the worst case scenario for alan crabbe?

mpl (maximum potential loss) is ac being drafted in the 2nd round (which means no guaranteed money), getting cut and then playing in the development league or playing abroad (remember this is a guy who until this last year went home to la every summer rather than stay in berkeley), becoming burned out with the ruthless grind and then being a 25 year old guy looking for work with no diploma

who are the key recruits for 2014?

pg faciilitator/distributor amhaad rorie is blowing up nationally and his strong relationship with decuire is key

diallo-3.3 gpa devon hardin jr
fitzner-3.0+ gpa ryan anderson jr
welsh-3.8 gpa blue collar guy

denmark's 7' sami eleraky continues to make academic progress

loyola's max hazzard 2015 pg is likely a key target-describes cal as "a dream school" and will play for the oakland soldiers this summer

2015 #1 ivan rabb is critical

what college would ir select if he had to sign today?

based upon his growing direct relationship with mr cranky pants, the proximity of home to berkelely and his grandfather being a longtime bears fan, ir would be a golden bear imo...but today ain't nsd

how abysmal was the bears 3 pt shooting in 2012/2013?

the bears .302 places them around #300 among d1 teams and the bottom of the pac 12

the bears best 3 pt shooter ac shot .348 which does not place him among the top 100 in d1 (or even the top 20 in the pac 12)

will the bears monster class improve this weakness?

aubrey shelton, amhaad rorie's hs hc, sent me an email today advising that ar shot 45% this season

bird, singer & matthews are also excellent shooters

justin cobbs wore out as the season progressed which impacted his jumper but with less minutes likely played next season due to the incoming high quality depth he will be fresher down the stretch

ricky kreklow needs to get 100% healthy and shoot the rock like he did in hs when he was named mr missouri basketball

t-wall will work on his shooting and perhaps his mechanics with the staff

if the bears were such lousy shooters in 2012/2013 how did they finish 2nd in the pac 12 and win 21 games including a ncaa tnt game?

the bears played stingy d and led the pac 12 in fg % defense with .393..if the players adopt a tougher mental resolve to take charges and chase down loose balls like their hair is on fire, then even more d improvement is possible in 2013/2014

wouldn't it make sense for the bears to recruit a big with inside scoring post moves rather than improving their 3 pt shooting?

7' guys with inside scoring post moves that have strong academic profiles are as common as big foot or shareef abdur-rahim who graduated from cal recently with a 3.8 gpa

what are the most stoooopid comments made about the cal bb team?

"why doesn't monty just recruit a jc or international big?"

msf was a rare diamond who worked both academically and conditioning (lost 40 lbs) to compete and graduate from cal

monty isn't going to recruit a total db like transfer tony woods, oregon's starting center, who was asked to leave wake forrest after he beat the crap out of his live in gf (he is 6'10" 250 lbs) causing her serious spinal injuries...btw, monty has clownpunked the ducks for 11 consecutive victories in a row which will be extended next season even with one & dumb ag rolling like a shabazzz

if you feel compelled to mention another dumb azz player that "monty should have recruited," try including the player's gpa and academic profile too, ok?

where is the cal bb program positioned today in the pac 12?

arizona is outrecruitng everybody but in key games with comparable talent sean miller will be worked cuz he don't know xxx's and ooo's

ucla has major chemistry problems and needs a new hc...with larry drew & shabazz departing westwood, if kyle anderson declares for the draft (his meddling dad was a ben howland supporter), jordan adams mends slowly from his broken right foot and fatboy tony parker transfers back to georgia, the bruins might not win 10 games next season

colorado under tad boyle is doing everything the right way but as long as the bears outrecruit him for guys like wallace, kravish & matthews the bears will be ok vs the buffs

oregon's dana altman is a as sleazy but more successful kevin oneill with his transfers and non-academic playahs but with no rebounding next season his smoke & mirrors of cutting corners will crash & burn

washington is imploding with gaddy, ndiaye and suggs all graduating...if wilcox declares for the draft, then the huskies will win 7-8 games next season...lorenzo romar is a solid family man with admirable values but his inexplicable decision to not suspend venroy overton when he was first charged with pimping underage girls has resulted in his recruiting to drop off the map

stanford will be strong next season but then their 6 key srs will graduate and then the cards will be the worst team in the pac 12 the following year & mr personality johnny dawkins will be fired

bottom line, during the last 5 years under monty's guidance, the bears have won more leagues games than any other school in the pac 12, have made the big dance 4 times & produced 3 pac mvps while also cleaning up ben braun's academic nightmare

what will be the bears best roadtrip in 2013/2014?

other than true wingman powers scoping out the desert babes, maui baby!

can the bears win a national championship with monty?

if the bears can sign ivan rabb, then the 2015/2016 bears will start:

ivan rabb (fr)-future lottery pick
jabari bird (jr)-future lottery pick
kameron rooks (jr)-if he progresses like his dad sean...you can't teach soft hands, shooting skills and strength (sorry ml)
back up bigs among diallo (so), fitzner (so), welsh (so) and maybe sami (jr)
2 guards among: wallace (sr), matthews (jr), singer (jr) and rorie (so)

that's an elite 8 team or better imo

if they all return in 2016/2017 (other than t-wall graduating), then the bears will have the elite physical talent with big game experience coupled with the necessary gameday coaching/planning to potentially win a ncaa national championship in d1 basketball

with ag to az & jerrett to the nba, roberson to the nba, dedmon to the nba and starks transfering, my updated pac 12 program rankings are as follows:

az (most talent) & cal (best coaching) still at the top...sm is going to go crazee next year watching ag jack up missed 3 pters in his effort to showcase his outside game to nba scouts rather than scoring 25 ppg in the paint during his 1 and dumb stint in tuscon

stanford will have a strong season with powell and the 6 srs & then lose in the 1st round of the ncaas due to medicore johnny dawkins xxx's and ooo's ...in any case, jd will be fired after the 2014 season when the cards lose 20 games in front of 1378 fans per game at maples

colorado's chances of winning the pac 12 flew out the window with roberson's nba declaration but tad boyle will contiue to restock the buffs program

ucla will continue to suffer from chemsitry problems and a lack of d & interior rebouding

oregon...3 talented guards...loooosing the ag sweepstakes killed the ducks

washington...wilcox not declaring for the nba and goss coming to town will keep the huskies relevant one more season but lorenzo is in trouble

asu...carson might be the pac 12 mvp next season but limited supporting cast

usc...some talent but nobody walks in la & nobody cares about trojan bb

utah, oregon state & washington state...cry me a river
socaltownie
Shocky1;842117851 said:

socal, totally agree that the show is probably staged most of the time

isn't it highly unusual that the guy always answers the phone?...they never get a voice recording, busy signal, a secretary etc.

and the guy never answers the phone with his last name as is a common biz practice on a weekday at 8:00 am, it is always "hey, this is bob"

hmmmmmm.......

Yeah - supposedly the give away is that the FCC rules REQUIRE that you inform the person on the phone that it is being taped for radio broadcast. Now PERHAPS so idiots are dumb enough to say "well my wife NEVER listens to the radio" but I doubt that. So staged. Fun bit though. They do a good job in finding folks to ad-lib.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842115688 said:

tom, both tmz & the star are reporting that k kardashian dumped kris and will dump kanye for kameron

kount on it

go kal

maybe kim kardashian & kameron kould work out together with trainers

kount on it

go kal

somewhere susie rooks is just shaking her head...
Shocky1
south bender;842115196 said:

Sounds so good!

Go Bears!

monty & co are working to expend the final 2013 scholly on roger moute a bidias from notre dame prep in mass and originally senegal...the challenge in this recruitment is the ncaa deeming notre dame an academically fradulent diploma papermill with the students sleeping in classes with no course guides and just playing basketball...2 recent nd grads were denied d1 bb eligibility by the ncaa...roger is a good kid and hopefully his academic work prior to nd will get him cleared by the ncaa...there is mutual interest between him & cal and he will likely officially visit berkeley in the near future...roger could also reclassify to 2014...kudos to relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb for unearthing this unpolished gem several months ago

juan anderson is also being actively recruited and will likely receive a scholly offer if roger doesn't sign with the bears...imo bidias offers a rebounding upside while anderson offers a skillset already matched by t-wall...i would rather the bears staff continue to work with t-wall on his perimeter shooting during the next 3 yrs rather than commit to a 3 yr scholly with juan-both guys are highly athletic d focused guards with undeveloped outside shooting skills...after last season's abysmal team shooting (last in the pac 12 from 3 pt land), mr cranky pants is pretty leery of any more jacked up bricks

rebounding matters#
represent the bay#

Civil Bear
Thought Anderson was a forward? Didn't he even play some 4 for Marquette?
tsubamoto2001
Civil Bear;842118928 said:

Thought Anderson was a forward? Didn't he even play some 4 for Marquette?

Yeah, Anderson is a 3 that can play some 4. He handles the ball like a guard, though. Good vision and feel for the game. He was in a role that didn't really bring out those skills, though, IMO. Shocky is right that he's basically a taller version of Wallace.
Shocky1
behrens rocked a 3.5 gpa (he ain't stooped) & served on the school leadership team at tahoma hs in washington before bringing his 30' vj & 80' wingspan to berkeley

what you may not know about christian behrens is that his dad bj died at their maple valley home following a 16 month battle against brain cancer in the early hours of feb 19, 2010...he had turned 53 the month prior

christian has said of his father "i know he's looking down at me...i know he's proud and that's what i'm trying to do every day in what i do, make him proud"

there can be no doubt that bj, mom andrea & sister rachel are very proud of christian who has also fought back from 2 serious knee surgeries

next time you're at a bears game, make sure that you recognize and celebrate christian behrens & the road less traveled he's taken in life

cal family#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 public university in the world (including the drizzly northwest)
SFCityBear
tsubamoto2001;842118932 said:

Yeah, Anderson is a 3 that can play some 4. He handles the ball like a guard, though. Good vision and feel for the game. He was in a role that didn't really bring out those skills, though, IMO. Shocky is right that he's basically a taller version of Wallace.

Does this mean that Anderson does not shoot very well? Shooting is one of the hardest things to teach at the college or pro level, and takes years to learn. Jason Kidd is one of the few successful examples, but he did not master the three until well into his NBA career. We already have some players who do not shoot well, and are projects in that sense. We need players who can shoot.
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842118971 said:

as the video clearly reveals, cb is a highly articulate & engaging true student athlete

cb had 3.5 gpa & served on the school leadership team at tahoma in the drizzly northwest before bringing his 30' vj & 80' wingspan to berkeley

what you may not know about cb is that his dad bj died at their maple valley home following a 16 month battle against brain cancer on feb 19, 2010

christian has said of his father "i know he's looking down at me...i know he's proud and that's what i'm trying to do every day in what i do, make him proud"

no doubt, bj & mom andrea are very proud of their exceptional son, a true golden bear student athlete

cb's gf is the cute laura rayfield of the oregon state soccer program...warning: very dangerous when bears & beavers cross pollinate across species

family matters#
fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 public university in the world

Thanks for your post. I am very high on Behrens. I hope we get to see him at full go this season, so he can show us what he can do and bring to the team. He will be needed.

:gobears:
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842119021 said:

Does this mean that Anderson does not shoot very well? Shooting is one of the hardest things to teach at the college or pro level, and takes years to learn. Jason Kidd is one of the few successful examples, but he did not master the three until well into his NBA career. We already have some players who do not shoot well, and are projects in that sense. We need players who can shoot.

juan anderson is an elite athletic defender (think syracuse) but shot only 28% 3-pters & 56% fts as a soph at marquette
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842119084 said:

juan anderson is an elite athletic defender (think syracuse) but shot only 28%3 pters & 56% fts as a soph at marquette

The numbers are what they are, but last offseason he was on the shelf -- wasn't able to get up 3pt shots over the summer. Also wasn't able to get stronger, which could have improved his overall fg% (missed shots in the paint). FT% -- playing limited minutes hard to get much of a rhythm/confidence at the line (case in point Richard Solomon's improvement this past year).

With a year off to lift and shoot, his numbers should improve.
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842119084 said:

juan anderson is an elite athletic defender (think syracuse) but shot only 28%3 pters & 56% fts as a soph at marquette

Ouch! Cal shot 29% on threes last season, and 56% of FTs is well below average. I like the all around upside of Moute a Bidias a little better, from a physical standpoint, but he hasn't played much basketball at all. If Anderson is a shut down defender, and can rebound, maybe we take him. Not much to choose from this late in the process.
stu
SFCityBear;842119169 said:

I like the all around upside of Moute a Bidias a little better, from a physical standpoint, but he hasn't played much basketball at all. If Anderson is a shut down defender, and can rebound, maybe we take him.

Are these two so good we should take both? I don't think it's likely either could help us in 2013-14, unless Anderson gets some kind of hardship status or Moute a Bidias comes on faster than expected. In 2014-15 we won't have Cobbs and Solomon, but we will have plenty at SG and SF. Would it be better to wait and take our chances on one or two 2014 PFs?
Shocky1
good news...travis decuire confirmed to me today that christian behrens will receive a blueshirt for this season & will be a sophmore next year...cb played 7 out of 33 games last season which is fractionally greater than the 20% limit allowed by the ncaa...if cb continues to work hard to become fully healthy, he will have 3 more years playing in the paint for the bears

td also told me that kameron rooks has definitely "lost weight and is heading in the right direction in terms of his physical development"...the staff will focus more on his % of body fat rather than weight initially and once that % is at "an optimal point, we will have a better gauge on his playing weight"

did not ask td if kameron kould work out with kim kardashian...

as opinionated in the opening post of this thread, decuire should be the next bb hc at cal...hiring a trendy candidate like brad stevens, shaka smart, chaka khan or even phil jackson just won't work at cal...the recruitment of student athletes with high gpas is significantly more challenging (because of the relatively small talent pool) than just recruiting your typical d1 2.5 gpa baller who's heading to a glorified jc (with a 90+% acceptance rate) like arizona or oregon...as the lead recruiter for the bird, matthews, etc., td has proven that he's more than capable of recruiting elite student athletes to berkeley...a ff/nc by the bears in 2015 wouldn't hurt his prospects for the $1m position...travis, unlike oski, is highly principaled & would not drink on the job or otherwise embarazzz the #1 public university in the world

at that pt, relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb should be promoted to asscoiate head coach, theo robertson rehired as a fulltime asst coach & jeff powers to sr wingman for crowd babe watch alerts
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.