cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,270 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
good to get another confirm on his redshirt, and interesting update on Rooks.

Shockie with the inside scoop!

Shocky1;842119185 said:

good news...travis decuire confirmed to me today that christian behrens will receive a blueshirt for this season & will be a sophmore next year...cb played 7 out of 33 games last season which is fractionally greater than the 20% limit allowed by the ncaa...if cb continues to work hard to become fully healthy, he will have 3 more years playing in the paint for the bears

td also told me that kameron rooks has definitely "lost weight and is heading in the right direction in terms of his physical development"...the staff will focus more on his % of body fat rather than weight initially and once that % is at "an optimal point, we will have a better gage on his playing weight"

did not ask td if kameron kould work out with kim kardashian...

as opinionated in the opening post of this thread, decuire should be the next bb hc at cal...hiring a trendy candidate like brad stevens, shaka smart, chaka khan or even phil jackson just won't work at cal...the recruitment of student athletes with high gpas is significantly more challenging (because of the relatively small talent pool) than just recruiting your typical d1 2.5 gpa baller who's heading to a glorified jc (with a 90+% acceptance rate) like arizona or oregon...as the lead recruiter for the bird, matthews, etc., td has proven that he's more than capable of recruiting elite student athletes to berkeley...a ff/nc by the bears in 2015 wouldn't hurt his prospects for the 1M position...travis, unlike oski, is highly principaled & would not drink on the job or otherwise embarazzz the #1 public university in the world

at that pt, relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb should be promoted to asscoiate head coach & jeff powers to sr wingman for crowd babe watch alert
south bender
HoopDreams;842119192 said:

I also love Shockster's wonderful info and am grateful for it.

However, his notion of turning over to Decuire the head coach position is another matter.

My impression is that there are more misses than hits in promoting an assistant to replace a great head coach. I would rather, when the time comes (and it has not yet come), that Cal find a coach from without with a proven record of head coaching success.

Go Bears!
sluggo_Cal
Roger Moute a Bidias is from Notre Dame Prep. See http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--ncaa-investigating-basketball-powerhouse-prep-school.html
Shocky, isn't this confusing to you?

is Cal becoming Kentucky#
aren't all the hoopsters scholars first#
cognitive dissonance#

Sluggo
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842119192 said:

the daily cal, dan patrick & the national enquirer are all reporting that the ioc (international olympics committee) will be announcing later today a new oiympic sport for the 2016 games in rio de janerio: dad, mom & child 3 person basketball team sport

and the prohibitive early favorite to wear the inaugural rio gold medals?

that's right, 12 year nba veteran sean rooks, all san diego county mvp susie rooks & future pac 12 leading rebounder kameron rooks

if anybody can name a family on planet earth more qualified to win the rio gold medals than the rooks family, please let me know and the shockster will send you one of the following grand prizes:

1) a five guys meal coupon including drink & fries
2) a signed photograph of mr cranky pants watching an aau game
3) a fully paid weekend with kim kardashian at pietro de positano's
cliff hanging resort on italy's sun drenched amalfi coast including
private jetfare & yacht for the daily excursion to capri

please note that ncca rules prohibit any cal bb players from accepting these awards (sorry kameron)

it should be mentioned that sean rooks resigned from the phx sun's developmental league coaching staff this jan...sean working 1 on 1 with his hard working son will only accelerate kr's physical conditioning

rio gold in 2016#
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842119275 said:

Roger Moute a Bidias is from Notre Dame Prep. See http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--ncaa-investigating-basketball-powerhouse-prep-school.html
Shocky, isn't this confusing to you?

is Cal becoming Kentucky#
aren't all the hoopsters scholars first#
cognitive dissonance#

Sluggo

kal>>>kentucky
monty b winnning when coach cal b gon when 2014 b dun
the bird & ivan=nc ringzzzz
shhhhh....bearz don't need NO schoolzz, just show $$$

fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#
SFCityBear
stu;842119176 said:

Are these two so good we should take both? I don't think it's likely either could help us in 2013-14, unless Anderson gets some kind of hardship status or Moute a Bidias comes on faster than expected. In 2014-15 we won't have Cobbs and Solomon, but we will have plenty at SG and SF. Would it be better to wait and take our chances on one or two 2014 PFs?

Power Forward is the big need for us, all right. I didn't mean to imply we take both Moute and Anderson. If one looks like a good player, and if it were me, I'd take him. My preference right now would be Moute.

In fact, if it were me, I'd give the remaining schollie to senior Jeff Powers (he has certainly helped, and has paid his dues). If Frid has made humongous strides, we might want to think about locking him up with a schollie.

More realistically speaking, taking only Moute, with Cobbs and Solomon graduating, no one transferring, and Rorie already committed, that would leave us with two scholarships to give for 2014. Enough for your 2 PF's.

By the way, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but Scout.com recently updated their list of Cal prospects to show that Moute a Bidias has been given a Cal offer for 2013.

:gobears:
R90
5s (most college teams don't even have one real 5)
Solomon
Rooks
Frid

4s
Kravish
Behrens
Moute

3s who can defend a post if we need to go small.
Kreklow
Johnson
Powers

I'd be happy with that depth. Moute could climb the depth chart pretty quickly if he develops.
antipattern
If Frid is a real 5 then a lot of colleges have more than one real 5. You clearly know a lot about basketball, but your willingness to indulge your pro-Cal bias makes it harder to take your posts at face-value.

I love the team we have coming in, but I don't see the point in pretending that we don't have major question marks in the front court.
89Bear
R90;842119431 said:

5s (most college teams don't even have one real 5)
Solomon
Rooks
Frid

4s
Kravish
Behrens
Moute

3s who can defend a post if we need to go small.
Kreklow
Johnson
Powers

I'd be happy with that depth. Moute could climb the depth chart pretty quickly if he develops.

One could make an argument that Solomon is still working towards being a 5 and that Frid might never play a meaningful minute of ball and KR is in high school. So Bears don't yet have a 5 either.

I do think Solo will have an excellent season next year. Frid? I'll be pleasantly surprised if becomes enough of a player to play important minutes. KR? Have not seen him. LOVE his size.
Shocky1
early reports on frid: good kid with serious height but needs to work a lot harder to play at this level...not close to seeing the floor at this time

bears will not lock up frid with a scholly at this time...valuable 3 pt shooter & crowd babe watch alert sr wingman jeff powers will likely receive the 13th scholly for 2013

roger is visiting berkelely now on an official with the possiblity of the bears receiving a commitment...if not, then the already active recruitment of juan will accelerate
SFCityBear
Shocky1 asked me to post the profiles of Christian Behrens and his girlfriend, Laura Rayfield.

Here is Christian's:

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/christian_behrens_762818.html

And here is Laura's:

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/laura_rayfield_809879.html

Stay tuned. Shocky1 may follow up with further details and analysis.

:bravo
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842119609 said:

Shocky1 asked me to post the profiles of Christian Behrens and his girlfriend, Laura Rayfield.

Here is Christian’s:

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/christian_behrens_762818.html

And here is Laura’s:

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/laura_rayfield_809879.html

Stay tuned. Shocky1 may follow up with further details and analysis.

:bravo

thx sfcity for posting the above bios

in a perfect world i would have dirt.com assistance from future night club (west la, paris, las vegas, london, scottsdale, milan & nyc) magnate jeff powers but here goes nothing

christian & laura are way too wholesome and happy in these photos...they look like should be signed to a longterm disney show that plays on the nickelodeon channel

on the other hand, maybe i should introduce them to my sherwood cc golf buddy mark burg (he's also charlie sheen's longtime mgr, calls himself the "world's biggest babysitter") and he could cast them for his next saw movie

opening scene: station wagon pulls up to camp friendly pines

mom & dad get out of car: "hi, we are the fernwalt family, this is little jimmy & susie"

christian: "hi jimmmy, i'm the basketball counselor, would you like to shoot baskets with me this afternoon?'

jimmy: "wow, that would be swell, mister!"

laura: "susie, i'm the soccer coach, we have a game in a few minutes, do you want to play?"

susie: (shyly) "ok, that sounds like fun"

fernwalt parents: "by kids, have a great summer" while waving goodbye and camera cuts to dirt kicking up as they drive out the front gate of camp friendly pines

cut to midnight scene: christian & laura running around the forest with chainsaws after jimmy & susie (along with movie audience) all screaming

did i mention then that christian & laura would probably be paid $1m+, plus residuals and a sag card (which would improve their chances of receiving future oscar tixs)?

my guess is that cb would probably win an oscar which would then lead to future roles on both broadway & nbc prime time pilot shows

like i said, they are a good looking couple
Shocky1
Shocky1;842119306 said:

kal>>>kentucky
monty b winnning when coach cal b gon when 2014 b dun
the bird & ivan=nc ringzzzz
shhhhh....bearz don't need NO schoolzz, just show $$$

fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

sluggo, roger is academically cleared

3.0 gpa 1300 sat 21 act (thx mb)...impressive for a young man who has only been in the united states for a couple of years learning a new culture & language

cal monster class expansion#
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842119662 said:

sluggo, roger is academically cleared

3.0 gpa 1300 sat 21 act (thx mb)...impressive for a young man who has only been in the united states for a couple of years learning a new culture & language

cal monster class expansion#

All the players at Kentucky and all the other schools that you look down on are academically cleared as well. 3.0 at a diploma mill is not that impressive. Those tests scores are fine at eligibility U, but not so good at the best public school in the country.

Look, I think players should get paid and not have to go to class at all. But for now, just admit that Cal is no different than anywhere else.

Sluggo
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842119680 said:

All the players at Kentucky and all the other schools that you look down on are academically cleared as well. 3.0 at a diploma mill is not that impressive. Those tests scores are fine at eligibility U, but not so good at the best public school in the country.

Look, I think players should get paid and not have to go to class at all. But for now, just admit that Cal is no different than anywhere else.

Sluggo

do you think that cal should apply the same academic entrance standards for a young person who grew up in a 3rd world country & then moves to the usa trying to improve themselves & their opportunities for the future as a trust fund applicant from bel aire?

did you know that half of the kentucky team the last 2 years has sub 2.5 gpas led by star dumb azz nerlens noel & his 2.1 gpa?

are you aware of the gpas of the current cal bb team?

sluggo=stooopid
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842119689 said:

do you think that cal should apply the same academic entrance standards for a young person who grew up in a 3rd world country & then moves to the usa trying to improve themselves & their opportunities for the future as a trust fund applicant from bel aire?

did you know that half of the kentucky team the last 2 years has sub 2.5 gpas led by star dumb azz nerlens noel & his 2.1 gpa?

are you aware of the gpas of the current cal bb team?

sluggo=stooopid

I may be stupid, but you are a hypocrite. If another school recruited a player from a diploma mill, then that would prove that they are not serious about education. When Cal does, then it proves something about the American way.

Of course I don't know gpas. I think that is private and it is kind of weird if you do know them. What I do know is that Cal will take players as long as they are eligible, even if their background is sketchy. I mean, how sketchy does a high school have to be to get notice from the NCAA?

Below is an excerpt from the yahoo article.

Sluggo
==============================================

While Hurd defended NDP, interviews both on and off the record with numerous former players as well as their parents paint a picture of a prep school with minimal academic standards and unconventional business practices.

In the past, Hurd had some members of the basketball program pay their tuition (upwards of $12,000 annually for non-scholarship payers) directly to his own personal bank account rather than the school itself.
south bender
Is it necessary to insult one another?

A lot of that has been going around lately. Seems to me more than usual.

What is the point of it?

No one's perspective is made more compelling thereby.

Go Bears!
89Bear
sluggo_Cal;842119680 said:

Sluggo

"Cal is no different than anywhere else."

Boy, if you believe that you should have someone you trust educate you about the current situation in regards to athletes, academics and the current experience of being a student-athlete at the University.

You are not coming across as knowing what you are talking about.
sluggo_Cal
89Bear;842119730 said:

"Cal is no different than anywhere else."

Boy, if you believe that you should have someone you trust educate you about the current situation in regards to athletes, academics and the current experience of being a student-athlete at the University.

You are not coming across as knowing what you are talking about.

You are right. I am exaggerating. How about saying Cal is not so pure that fans should be throwing stones at other schools? The Moute situation highlights this.

By the way, I did teach athletes as a graduate student at Cal. At the time (early 90s) in my subject the basketball players were C students and the football players D/F. It was not pretty. Given the APR situation in football, has anything really changed?

Sluggo
89Bear
sluggo_Cal;842119735 said:

You are right. I am exaggerating. How about saying Cal is not so pure that fans should be throwing stones at other schools? The Moute situation highlights this.

By the way, I did teach athletes as a graduate student at Cal. At the time (early 90s) in my subject the basketball players were C students and the football players D/F. It was not pretty. Given the APR situation in football, has anything really changed?

Sluggo

I agree that we should not be throwing stones at other schools. We do have things to improve upon and unfortunately we waited until JT was let go to take things even more seriously. Currently, it appears that things are shaping up more positively. Many schools out there are behind the curve and some are ahead. Here's hoping we can be leaders!!
bearchamp
How can a 1300 SAT qualify for CAL? I am thinking 2000 and better. Anyone know?
Bobodeluxe
bearchamp;842119785 said:

Yeah, that'sright. $

antipattern

Because he's good at basketball.

From past discussions on this board, I believe the deal is that the basketball program (as well as other sports) can get the admissions department to ignore the usual requirements as long as certain minimum standards are met. Cal probably does this less than other schools -- although whether this is by choice or by rule is unknown -- but they still do it.

I don't think any school likes to talk about this kind of stuff, and so I'm not sure there's much official information out there about what the rules are, and how it is determined if an exception can be made. My guess is it's flexible, and depends on how much we need a guy, and how hard Monty fights for it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure exceptions are made for other types of applicants as well, such as accomplished musicians, children of big donors, famous people, etc.
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842119646 said:

like i said, they are a good looking couple

We need to find a photo of the two of them together. He is 6'-8". She is 5'-6".

When I was at Cal, one of my good friends was Camden Wall, the Bears' starting center, who was 6'-10". We went to a party together, and spotted a couple of hot looking chicks. The one who was about 4'-10" ran off with Cam after a couple of dances, and I, at 5'-10", was left with the 6-footer. Charles McCabe said it best, "Tall Girls are Grateful", and wrote a book on the subject.

OdontoBear66

I don't think athletes (FB and MBB) need the 2000+ that other students need to enter, but I also did not think it was 1300, either. I do understand Moute's background gives some consideration, but I have seen no answers as to what type an SAT or ACT score a FB or BB player must have to enter and hope to have any chance at success.
Shocky1
let's examine sluggo's statement "cal is no different than anywhere (kentucky, etc.) else"

cal's current & future players:

alan crabbe: 3.3 gpa@price (awaiting nba draft)
justin cobbs: 3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
tyrone wallace: 3.5 gpa@bakersfield
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
chritian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
kahlil johnson-scholastic academic honor roll@price
jabari bird-3.0+ gpa@salesian
jordan matthews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
amhaad rorie-3.8 gpa@lincoln

the walks on:
jeff powers-excellent student & astutue eyes for the women
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa
robert frid-3.5 gpa

the 2014 prospects:
idrissa diallo-3.33 gpa
evan fitzner-3.0+ gpa
thomas welsh-3.7 gpa

not a single player with the cal bb program had a hs gpa under 3.0...furthermore, we can expect every player listed above to leave cal with a diploma and/or a roster spot on a nba team (and hopefully those players will return like shareef to eventually graduate)

of the 300+ ncaa d1 teams excluding the ivy league & service academies, cal is among the top 5 schools for academically elite bb student athletes alongside duke, stanford, northwestern & vanderbilt

if anyone can document a college with better academic bb student athletes than cal (other than the other 4 schools listed above), i will donate $5,000 to the university of california educational scholarship of your choice in your name

kentucky, on the other hand, is in the bottom 10% of d1 300+ schools with half of the last two year's dumb azz ballers with sub 2.5 gpas led by star nerlens noel & his 2.1 gpa

sluggo, check out the football board and the "cal recruiting great students" thread where i have listed the gpa of almost every cal fb commit for the last 2 years

there is a direct correlation imo between hs gpas and students successfully graduating from the university of california, berkelely

"cal is no different than anywhere else"

nahhh...i don't think so

peace

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
hey sluggo, just showed this thread to my 2 teenage daughters shay & taylor

according to them, the hs debate team scoring would be as follows:

sluggo-16
the shockster-491,469

sorry
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842119916 said:

hey sluggo, just showed this thread to my 2 teenage daughters shay & taylor

according to them, the hs debate team scoring would be as follows:

sluggo-16
the shockster-491,469

sorry

I already conceded I was exaggerating. Still have not figured out how Moute's 3.0 from a diploma mill figures in. Or the football team facing probation because of such a low APR. I am moving Sluggo up to 100,016.

Sluggo
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842119922 said:

I already conceded I was exaggerating. Still have not figured out how Moute's 3.0 from a diploma mill figures in. Or the football team facing probation because of such a low APR. I am moving Sluggo up to 100,016.

Sluggo

to be honest with you, my daughters feel that i should have signficant punitive pt reductions for name calling

damn kidz....
jyamada
Shocky1;842119927 said:

to be honest with you, my daughters feel that i should have signficant punitive pt reductions for name calling

damn kidz....

Smart Kidz.....:p
south bender
Shocky1;842119927 said:

damn kidz....

Who better than our kids to show us the way!

Congrats to both of you guys for your turn to civility!

Go Bears!
south bender
Shocky1;842119906 said:

let's examine sluggo's statement "cal is no different than anywhere (kentucky, etc.) else"

cal's current & future players:

alan crabbe: 3.3 gpa@price (awaiting nba draft)
justin cobbs: 3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
tyrone wallace: 3.5 gpa@bakersfield
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
chritian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+ gpa@salesian
jordan matthews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
amhaad rorie-3.8 gpa@lincoln

the walks on:
jeff powers-excellent student & astutue eyes for the women
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa
robert frid-3.5 gpa

the 2014 prospects:
idrissa diallo-3.33 gpa
evan fitzner-3.0+ gpa
thomas welsh-3.7 gpa

not a single player with the cal bb program had a hs gpa under 3.0...furthermore, we can expect every player listed above to leave cal with a diploma and/or a roster spot on a nba team (and hopefully those players will return like shareef to eventually graduate)

of the 300+ ncaa d1 teams excluding the ivy league & service academies, cal is among the top 5 schools for academically elite bb student athletes alongside duke, stanford, northwestern & vanderbilt

if anyone can document a college with better academic bb student athletes than cal (other than the other 4 schools listed above), i will donate $5,000 to the university of california educational scholarship of your choice in your name

kentucky, on the other hand, is in the bottom 10% of d1 300+ schools with half of the last two year's dumb azz ballers with sub 2.5 gpas led by star nerlens noel & his 2.1 gpa

sluggo, check out the football board and the "cal recruiting great students" thread where i have listed the gpa of almost every cal fb commit for the last 2 years

there is a direct correlation imo between hs gpas and students successfully graduating from the university of california, berkelely

"cal is no different than anywhere else"

nahhh...i don't think so

peace

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

Wow!

Really impressive!

Great info!

Go Bears!
BeachedBear
Can we let this thread die. It seems to have morphed into dozens of tangents.

Have some mercy....

Please.....

:rant
Shocky1
BeachedBear;842120111 said:

Can we let this thread die. It seems to have morphed into dozens of tangents.

Have some mercy....

Please.....

:rant

"it seems to have morphed into dozens of tangents"

bleached, thx for the terrific compliment

reality (life) is not linear#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842120122 said:

"it seems to have morphed into dozens of tangents"

bleached, thx for the terrific compliment

reality (life) is not linear#

bleached: quick quiz

1) are all your socks sorted by color & size?

2) do you drive to work (school) on the same route every day?

3) would you ever kiss a girl that had not recently brushed & flossed her teeth?

4) when at sporting events, do you look around to see if you are making too much noise thereby potentially emabarassing yourself?

hmmmm.................
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.