cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,370,228 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sluggo_Cal;842141362 said:

No, he is a phenomenal all-court player. If he knew how many times I have watched this video he would think I was a stalker:

Sluggo

cameron walker has stated he intends to likely stay on the west coast for his college experience, "i just like being closer to home, having my family be able to come to my games and being by my friends too"

imo this will be a cal, ucla & usc battle for this elite student athlete

the bears will hopefully sign a wing with the 2015 class with cw & bennie boatwright, arguably the purest shooter in his class, being the top 2 priorities at the 3

the cal bb coaching staff is absolutely relentlessly building relationships with 2015 & 2016 prospects & their families (an absolute shift in philosophy & activity for recruiting from as recently as a year ago)...td even has a 2017 guard prospect locked in for that class...

summer breezes#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842142913 said:

fitzner canceled his late june unofficial visit to cal

boats against the current#

We seem to have a big pool of bigs for 2014, but it's really looking like may only take one. If Cal likes where it stands with Rabb, then it's not a bad strategy.
Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842142938 said:

We seem to have a big pool of bigs for 2014, but it's really looking like may only take one. If Cal likes where it stands with Rabb, then it's not a bad strategy.

tsub, my take is that the bears would ideally like distributor/facilitator/scorer/2014 monster class ringleader & potential mcdonalds all american pg amhaad rorie to be complemented by 2 bigs from among idrissa diallo, thomas welsh, sami eleraky & tory miller with top 20 talent (when healthy) & quickly academically improving malik pope as the break the bank wildcard

summer breezes#
BC Calfan
Shocky1;842142928 said:

the cal bb coaching staff is absolutely relentlessly building relationships with 2015 & 2016 prospects & their families (an absolute shift in philosophy & activity for recruiting from as recently as a year ago)...td even has a 2017 guard prospect locked in for that class...

Absolutley relentless? Does the head coach ever hit the trail? Find it a little disappointing that Monty's never spotted on the road---always just the assistants. Meanwhile Coach K and Calipari are in Vegas. A couple road trips and some visibility for Monty wouldn't hurt.
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842142928 said:

How would you define the previous approach? What was the previous theory?

Sluggo
Shocky1
BC Calfan;842143029 said:

Absolutley relentless? Does the head coach ever hit the trail? Find it a little disappointing that Monty's never spotted on the road---always just the assistants. Meanwhile Coach K and Calipari are in Vegas. A couple road trips and some visibility for Monty wouldn't hurt.

bc, last night while your were sitting on the sofa & watching the travel channel's informative documentary on the mustelids & harlequin ducks of kootenay national park, mike montgomery was watching in person both cameron walker & chase jeter

mr cranky pants b rollin

the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842143037 said:

How would you define the previous approach? What was the previous theory?

Sluggo

sluggish (not starting early enough), overly analytical (waiting too long to offer), too business like (at the expense of building stronger family relationships) & sometimes the perception of being arrogant
jyamada
BC Calfan;842143029 said:

I saw Monty at Cal State East Bay back in December......he was checking out Bird vs. Gordon! :p
SFBearz
tsubamoto2001;842142938 said:

If they are counting on Rabb to the point of not offering lots of other bigs, that is a bad strategy, especially with the quality of west coast forwards in the 2015 class.
ayetee11
jyamada;842143058 said:

I saw Monty at Cal State East Bay back in December......he was checking out Bird vs. Gordon! :p

I saw Monty watching the Oakland Soldiers back when LeBron was playing.
SFBearz
Shocky1;842143009 said:

tsub, my take is that the bears would ideally like distributor/facilitator/scorer/2014 monster class ringleader & potential mcdonalds all american pg amhaad rorie to be complemented by 2 bigs from among idrissa diallo, thomas welsh, sami eleraky & tory miller with top 20 talent (when healthy) & quickly academically improving malik pope as the break the bank wildcard

summer breezes#

Pope is a top 10 talent if he completely recovers, maybe top 5.
jyamada
ayetee11;842143061 said:

I saw Monty watching the Oakland Soldiers back when LeBron was playing.

Scouting for the Warriors? Like Shocky said....relentless!
ayetee11
jyamada;842143069 said:

Scouting for the Warriors? Like Shocky said....relentless!

No, this was after Lebron's sophomore year. While he was coaching for Stanfurd
Shocky1
SFBearz;842143059 said:

If they are counting on Rabb to the point of not offering lots of other bigs, that is a bad strategy, especially with the quality of west coast forwards in the 2015 class.

100% agreed that with attractive offers from a multitude of colleges, it does not make sense for the cal staff to count on ir and/or have his recruitment influence the bears offering of other bigs

yet with ivan's recent impressive academic achievements at bod coupled with his true love for his mom, dad & family, there is a sense that over time ir is slowly (and naturally) realizing that like jason kidd he can achieve all his dreams at cal

like rabb, jason kidd was the best hs player in the usa & he decided to play his college ball locally in front of his mom, dad, family & friends at the #1 ranked public university in the world before moving on to make $200+m in nba earnings

"yet with ivan's recent impressive academic achievements at bod coupled with his true love for his rmom, dad & family, there is a sense that over time ir is slowly (and naturally) realizing that like jason kidd he can achieve all his dreams at cal"

Golly Shockster, with all the inside skinny you done got, I sure would hate for you to be wrong on this one!
south bender
Shocky1;842143175 said:

100% agreed that with attractive offers from a multitude of colleges, it does not make sense for the cal staff to count on ir and/or have his recruitment influence the bears offering of other bigs

yet with ivan's recent impressive academic achievements at bod coupled with his true love for his mom, dad & family, there is a sense that over time ir is slowly (and naturally) realizing that like jason kidd he can achieve all his dreams at cal

like rabb, jason kidd was the best hs player in the usa & he decided to play his college ball locally in front of his mom, dad, family & friends at the #1 ranked public university in the world before moving on to make $200+m in nba earnings

By virtue of having Monty as his coach and with the seeming upturn in Monty's recruiting, Rabb has a significantly better chance to play deep into the NCAA tourney and outdo Kidd's 2-2 postseason record.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
per ar's twitter

gpa-"3.6"
why commit to cal so early?-"dream school"
2014 recruits in contact-"kameron chatman, idrissa diallo and malik pope"
dejounte murray (2015 from wa) getting cal offer-"that's my dude and he's good"
best wa bb middle schooler-"jalyn nowell"
heading to monteverde academy-"august 12"
summer trip to italy-"best experience i've had"
best day in life-"when i won state freshman year"
how old-"17"
b-day-"sept 15th"
if not bb-"tennis"
ppg as a jr-"25"
most pts in game-"55"
most 3 pters in game-"9"
1st dunk-"8th grade summer at the rec"
best dunk-"eastbay sometimes"
favorite nba player-"derrick rose"
nba team hate-"heat"
favorite nba team-"chicago bulls"
nba someday-"yessss"
height (no shoes)-"6'1""
shoe size-"13"
bench-"235"
back squat-"100"
lift weights-"rarely"
days work out a week-"7"
hrs in gym per day-"like 2-3 hours"
shots per day-"200"
part of game work on most-"pull up"
what makes you different-"work ethic"
favorite music-"trap music"
favorite song-"chief keef macaroni time"
favorite food-"stuffed crust cheese pizza from pizza hut"
favorite drink-"raspberry lemonade"
favorite movie-"stomp the yard"
balancing school with bb/travel-"turn in a lot of work ahead of due date"
you seem humble stay that way-"that's how my mother raised me"
mama's boy?-"hell yeah"

mom (rhonetta thomas) matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#

SFBearz
Shocky1;842143175 said:

Rabb had Calipari, Pitino, Donovan, Miller and many more at his game last night.
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842143374 said:

per ar's twitter

gpa-"3.6"
why commit to cal so early?-"dream school"
2014 recruits in contact-"kameron chatman, idrissa diallo and malik pope"
dejounte murray (2015 from wa) getting cal offer-"that's my dude and he's good"
best wa bb middle schooler-"jalyn nowell"
heading to monteverde academy-"august 12"
summer trip to italy-"best experience i've had"
best day in life-"when i won state freshman year"
how old-"17"
b-day-"sept 15th"
if not bb-"tennis"
ppg as a jr-"25"
most pts in game-"55"
most 3 pters in game-"9"
1st dunk-"8th grade summer at the rec"
best dunk-"eastbay sometimes"
favorite nba player-"derrick rose"
nba team hate-"heat"
favorite nba team-"chicago bulls"
nba someday-"yessss"
height (no shoes)-"6'1""
shoe size-"13"
bench-"235"
back squat-"100"
lift weights-"rarely"
days work out a week-"7"
hrs in gym per day-"like 2-3 hours"
shots per day-"200"
part of game work on most-"pull up"
what makes you different-"work ethic"
favorite music-"trap music"
favorite song-"chief keef macaroni time"
favorite food-"stuffed crust cheese pizza from pizza hut"
favorite drink-"raspberry lemonade"
favorite movie-"stomp the yard"
balancing school with bb/travel-"turn in a lot of work ahead of due date"
you seem humble stay that way-"that's how my mother raised me"
mama's boy?-"hell yeah"

mom (rhonetta thomas) matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Do you expect to start as a freshman or soph at Cal, or are you ok coming off the bench for a ..."I'm gonna start"
Shocky1
ggg is in toronto this weekend because:

a) there is a 5th grader with a sweet pull up j along with 97% spelling scores & perfect attendance in 4th grade that is already fluent in french

b) he's gonna check out the magnificent panoramic revolving views from the cn tower (you can see niagara falls on a clear day) & take pictures for the annual cal bb staff holiday card

c) pursuing his longtime secret ambition to join the illustrious rcmp (royal canadian mounted police)...gottlieb apparently loves their uniforms

d) scouting canadian elite big man 6'9" 215 lb chris egi who is transferring from toronto (ontario) st andrews to florida's montverde academy where he will play with bear's pg commit amhaad rorie...egi is an outstanding student athlete with a 95 schoolwork avg (basically a straight a student by usa standards) and serious interest from big time programs nationwide including louisville & florida (offer)...says he is being currently recruited hardest by washington, stanford & harvard but that could change if the bears take his recruitment to the next level as travis decuire has already scouted egi the last few weeks...egi is currently a 2015 prospect but academically capable of reclassifying potentially to 2014...ar could be the wildcard in egi's recruitment

ggg worldwide watch#
the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
SFBearz;842143453 said:

Rabb had Calipari, Pitino, Donovan, Miller and many more at his game last night.

pitino just offered ivan rabb

"academically speaking, i want to major in business or real estate development...i want to go to a school with good academics overall...not everyone is going to the nba so i need something to fall back on"

"i want to decide early...i think it will be late junior year or early senior year"

50 yr decision#

Shocky1
another song thx to shay & taylor, love those girlz

most people they got big dreams and big plans
end up as a big flock of sacrificial lambs
a single achiever
can make a billion believers
look at the children they're all willing and eager
like when i was a kid and i watched jordan play
and dreamed of being up on the nba court one day
realized early that i didn't have it
that don't mean that there ain't people that took that stab at it
like my man every day practice shooting baskets
dreaming about playing for the magic or mavericks
high school star a 30 point a night average
4 year college starter alright average
didn't get drafted
still he could see the dream
now he's 35 playing for some european team
knees f***** up constantly throbbing
now he's popping oxycontin
and it's becoming a problem
had to move back with his mom
and she want him to get a job
but he doesn't have the qualities they need
can't put 3 man weave drills
under specialty skills
more and more he eats pills
prescription refills
he still sees that dream that vision and it haunts him
a voice inside his head and it taunts him
his mom thinking that's he's on something
and she right
as he screams in the middle of the night

-wax ("we can't all be heroes")

nba is a cruel biz#
50 yr decision#
the grind#
summer breezes#
SFBearz
Shocky1;842142914 said:

diallo intends to officially visit cal (hopefully for the ohio state fb weekend with buddy amhaad rorie), ucla & usc

Looks like a Cal, ucla, sc battle for Welsh and Diallo with Welsh the first choice though ucla is also after M Humphrey.
Shocky1
SFBearz;842144185 said:

Looks like a Cal, ucla, sc battle for Welsh and Diallo with Welsh the first choice though ucla is also after M Humphrey.

stanford (along with notre dame) will also be a player for thomas welsh but with johnny dawkins on the hot (muy caliente) seat after failing to make the ncca tnt during his 5 yr tenure, his days in palo alto are likely dwindling as the losses mount up & attendance declines with fan apathy

the next hc in palo alto could be harvard's tommy amaker...does tw want to potentially play in a hybrid princeton weave offense?
Shocky1
the bruins are targeting 2 bigs (just like cal) for their 2014 class & are targeting elite prospects nationwide...thus far the alford message has not been well received with zero commitments thus far for the 2014 class despite the fact the bruins do not currently have a single pg on the roster for 2014 (kenny anderson's dad has confirmed that his son will declare for the draft after the upcoming season)

ucla has gone all in with josh perkins at pg (alford recruited him at nm) but with upcoming visits to kentucky (no offer) & connecticut (offer) along with minnesota (offer) & wildcard gonzaga (offer, hc mark few "attends all of his games") as his final 5 schools, this risky strategy may backfire as the backup pg recruit jordan mclaughlin is not impressing this summer & robert cartwright's recruitment just started recently (much to the annoyance of his family & coach benezra)

would be pretty funny to see alford start a walk on (or his son bryce a sg) at pg in 2014

the ucla bigs war board:

1) myles turner, 6'11" 225 lbs euless, tx
2) kevin looney, 6'9" 220 lbs milwaukee, wi
3) craig victor, 6'8" 220 lbs henderson, nv
4) leon black, 6'7" 210 lbs memphis, tenn
5) reid travis, 6'7" 235 lbs minneapolis, minn
6) isaac haas 7'2" 275 lbs piedmont, al
7) michael humphrey 6'10" 210 lbs phoenix, az
8) thomas welsh 7' 240 lbs, los angeles, ca
9) chinanu onuaku 6'10" upper marlboro, md
10) idrissa diallo 6'11" 230 lbs, los angeles, ca

will thomas and idrissa wait around for steve's potential last minute westwood prom invitation(s)?

meanwhile in berkeley both thomas welsh & idrissa diallo have been huge recruiting priorities for mike montgomery & staff (particuarly gregg gottlieb)...

safety dance#
Mr. Frumble
Shocky1;842144579 said:

the ucla bigs war board:

1) myles turner, 6'11" 225 lbs euless, tx
2) kevin looney, 6'9" 220 lbs milwaukee, wi
3) trey lyles, 6'10" 245 lbs indianapolis, in
4) craig victor, 6'8" 220 lbs henderson, nv
5) leon black, 6'7" 210 lbs memphis, tenn
6) reid travis, 6'7" 235 lbs minneapolis, minn
7) isaac haas 7'2" 275 lbs piedmont, al
8) michael humphrey 6'10" 210 lbs phoenix, az
9) thomas welsh 7' 240 lbs, los angeles, ca
10) chinanu onuaku 6'10" upper marlboro, md
11) idrissa diallo 6'11" 230 lbs, los angeles, ca

Lyles dropped UCLA (and Duke) a couple weeks ago, and is down to Kentucky, Louisville, Florida, and Butler.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130718/SPORTS02/307180071/Louisville-Kentucky-basketball-recruit-Trey-Lyles-will-commit-before-November-signing-period?nclick_check=1
Shocky1
Mr. Frumble;842144831 said:

Lyles dropped UCLA (and Duke) a couple weeks ago, and is down to Kentucky, Louisville, Florida, and Butler.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130718/SPORTS02/307180071/Louisville-Kentucky-basketball-recruit-Trey-Lyles-will-commit-before-November-signing-period?nclick_check=1

ucla is still reaching out to lyles but overall agreed & corrected
puget sound cal fan
Even if Lyles has dropped UCLA, we shouldn't try dissuading Alford from wasting his time on the recruit.
SFBearz
Mr. Frumble;842144831 said:

Same with Isaac Haas- ucla not in his final five.
Shocky1
SFBearz;842144983 said:

Same with Isaac Haas- ucla not in his final five.

college bb war boards are based on a program's recruiting priorities, not a player's latest/greatest schools list...17 yr olds have been known to change their minds

example: top 30 flyer kameron chatman of long beach poly original schools list did not include cal...he remained on the bear's war board & he recently indicated that the bears are back in the mix (aj diggs is one of his coaches @lbp)...i have not profiled kc in this thread because i don't think he's a good cal fit/probability but obviously the bears coaching staff feels otherwise

ucla is still actively recuiting isaac haas & will continue to do so until he shuts down his recruitment

safety dance#
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842145116 said:

college bb war boards are based on a program's recruiting priorities, not a player's latest/greatest schools list...17 yr olds have been known to change their minds

example: top 30 flyer kameron chatman of long beach poly original schools list did not include cal...he remained on the bear's war board & he recently indicated that the bears are back in the mix (aj diggs is one of his coaches @lbp)...i have not profiled kc in this thread because i don't think he's a good cal fit/probability but obviously the bears coaching staff feels otherwise

ucla is still actively recuiting isaac haas & will continue to do so until he shuts down his recruitment

safety dance#

Chatman moved back to Portland.
Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842145134 said:

Chatman moved back to Portland.

smart move out of a messy situation

chatman was ruled ineligible for his jr season by the cif southern section because since he played for a travel team that his coach metoyer was affiliated with, kc was therefore ineligible to follow him to his new hs (lbp)...that fact that kc is metoyer's godson did not change the cif's ruling

so during lbp's final game of the yr vs mater dei, coach metoyer played kc during the final minute much to the amazement & applause of the jackrabbits fans as a form of protest after having his players warm up with t-shirts inscribed #FREEKAM

berkeley loves protests#
peace, love & understanding#
Shocky1
name: malik pope

class: 2014

gpa (current): 2.9

gpa (old): 2.5 (too much video gaming)

gpa (targeting): "3.2-3.3" for next semester per ryan gorcey

summer school: world history

height: 6'8"

weight: 205 lbs

position: 3 (could slide to 4)

jersey: #21 (blackjack, baby)

hs: laguna creek (elk grove)

hs coach: paul casey

aau team: team superstar

aau coach: lerohn dodson (malik is "coachable, he likes his teammates, he has fun")

cal official: tbd

cal unofficial: tbd

cal connections:
1) friends with amhaad rorie
2) strong relationship with gregg gottlieb
3) played in cal team camp june 2012

malik on cal: "cal is close to home and they fit...i've seen them on tv and they fit pretty much my style of play"

family: very tight
mom-nicole (6'2")-aspires to start an inner city after school enrichment program...actually benched malik from several showcases after his soph yr because his grades did not meet her standards
dad-remle sr (6'6")-parents separated 6 yrs ago leaving kids homeless for a while
older bros-remle & emmanuel
younger bro-tabarri

injury update: fractured fibula caused mp to miss most of his jr season...full recovery is expected

colleges: recently narrowed list to 9
cal
kansas (nov 4th official)
arizona
ucla
usc
san diego state (oct 8th official)
gonzaga (sept 27th official)
oregon
washington

mom's college preference: "stay local"

malik's weather preference: "i'm a shorts guy...weather is definitely a consideration"

malik quote: "it (the injury) lets me focus on school more"

pope's outward personality: quiet & humble

shockster opinion: malik pope is a top 10-15 talent when fully healthy...willowly & smooth wing (shades of george gervin) with explosive hops & guard like handle...outside shoot & s&c strength are areas of potential improvement...excellent vision & plays unselfishly...unlimited upside...if malik is willing to work as hard in the classroom as the bb court to continue his maturity into a well rounded student athlete, then cal would be a strong local fit...can you imagine malik pope teaming with jabari bird on the perimeter with amhaad rorie feeding them the rock for the bears???...fireworks, baby

mom (nicole) matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#

antipattern
Shocky1;842145417 said:

aau coach: lerohn dodson (malik is "coachable, he likes his teammates, he has fun")

cal unofficial: targeting august

cal connections:

malik on cal: "cal is close to home and they fit...i've seen them on tv and they fit pretty much my style of play"

mom-nicole (6'2")-aspires to start an inner city after school enrichment program...actually benched malik from several showcases after his soph yr because his grades did not meet her standards
dad-remle sr (6'6")-parents separated 6 yrs ago leaving kids homeless for a while
younger bro-tabarri

injury update: fractured fibula caused mp to miss most of his jr season...full recovery is expected

cal
kansas
arizona
ucla
usc
san diego state
gonzaga
oregon
washington

malik's weather preference: "i'm a shorts guy...weather is definitely a consideration"

shockster opinion: malik pope is a top 10-15 talent when fully healthy...willowly & smooth wing (shades of george gervin) with explosive hops & guard like handle...outside shoot & s&c strength are areas of potential improvement...excellent vision & plays unselfishly...unlimited upside...if malik is willing to work as hard in the classroom as the bb court to continue his maturity into a well rounded student athlete, then cal would be a strong local fit...can you imagine malik pope teaming with jabari bird on the perimeter with amhaad rorie feeding them the rock for the bears???...fireworks, baby

mom (nicole) matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Thanks for the continued updates, although I should mention that, based on this thread, I have come to believe you are more or less completely insane.
HoopDreams
dude got skills

Shocky1;842145417 said:

cal unofficial: targeting august

cal connections:

younger bro-tabarri

cal
kansas
arizona
ucla
usc
san diego state
gonzaga
oregon
washington

mom (nicole) matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#

First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.