cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,290,224 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842149725 said:

no more teachers
no more books
no more mr cranky pants dirty looks

ok, schools not actually out forever, but cal's fall semester doesn't start until aug 22nd

todays the final official day of summer bridge

congrats to the cal monster class of jabari, jordan, sam, kameron & roger for successfully completing the 2013 summer bridge program which will hasten their academic and s&c transitions

the grind#
summer breezes#

"walked of the plane and started sweating...what happened to 60 and sunny"

joes stone crabs#
the blue monster#
summer heat#
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842150268 said:

Shocky, what do you know about that Mason Stuteville (sp?) guy that is being mentioned in another thread?

like the shockster, mason has got a wild imagination

let me break it down for you...

ivan rabb has an actionable offer for a scholly to the university of california, berkeley that may be accepted anytime during the next millennium

maston stuteville has an offer for 2 for 1 cds at rasuptin's records in berkeley that is valid thru next thursday

mason stuteville=sacramento state

walter mitty#
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842150407 said:

"walked of the plane and started sweating...what happened to 60 and sunny"

joes stone crabs#
the blue monster#
summer heat#

Two friends of mine just got back from 14 days at St Andrews, playing all the courses there. Temps mostly in the 80's, and humid. The beaches were full, the courses not so full. The course management was worried enough that they sent marshals out bringing water to the golfers throughout the midday. Wear a cap. Stay hydrated.
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842150419 said:

Two friends of mine just got back from 14 days at St Andrews, playing all the courses there. Temps mostly in the 80's, and humid. The beaches were full, the courses not so full. The course management was worried enough that they sent marshals out bringing water to the golfers throughout the midday. Wear a cap. Stay hydrated.

hey sfcity, don't know how to break this to you but your 2 buddies just spent the last 14 days in las vegas mostly hanging out at the topless pool bars...temps in the high 80s at nite & definitely important to stay hydrated

i'm at the glasgow airport right now after a 10 day, 14 walking rounds boondoggle thru scotland...temps have been in the low 60s with only a few light showers & the courses are busy as the global economy rebounds

not sure why they didn't invite you to vegas...but they ain't in scotland

home of golf & bad teeth#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842149841 said:

"my lil bro & backcourt mate @jbird2013 just killed the pro am....mind you he showed up at halftime still had a dub!!!!!"

jc=sr mentor=2013 pac 12 mvp candidate

the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842149725 said:

no more teachers
no more books

ok, schools not actually out forever, but cal's fall semester doesn't start until aug 22nd

congrats to the cal monster class of jabari, jordan, sam, kameron & roger for successfully completing the 2013 summer bridge program which will hasten their academic and s&c transitions

the grind#
summer breezes#

"only 3 missions when i get home 1) roscoes 2) krispy kreme 3) in n out burger"

scott thom is gonna fly down to la & kick jm's azz

leaner, quicker & meaner=pt
fatboy=seat next to monty

rust never sleeps#
the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842150534 said:

"only 3 missions when i get home 1) roscoes 2) krispy kreme 3) in n out burger"

scott thom is gonna fly down to la & kick jm's azz

leaner, quicker & meaner=pt
fatboy=seat next to monty

rust never sleeps#
the grind#
summer breezes#

shockster, what you talkin about, fool?

-cee lo green
Shocky1
Shocky1;842146179 said:

john montgomery told me "theo was in grad school last year which gave him the title of a graduate manager...it was great for him because he could be on the floor with our guys...he has a very bright future in the coaching profession and realized that was what he wanted to do...he wants to put all his focus on coaching so he has been hired in a full time position as director of basketball operations...last year jay john did some of those responsibilities as well as mitch elkins who was an operations intern...jay will focus solely on fundraising and bigger projects and theo and mitch are now both full time as director and assistant director of basketball operations respectively"

full time salaried position>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>starving intern/graduate assistant

the price is right#
the grind#
summer breezes#

who is cal's leading career 3 pt% shooter?

theo robertson shot an amazing .487% during the 2008 season & a bears record setting .440% for his career

as a pt of comparison, portland trail blazers sharpshooter alan crabbe shot .348% last season & the bears an abysmal .302%

theo robertson told me "i'm very excited to take this next step in my career...in my new role i will have various responsibilities ranging from team travel, on-campus recruiting, community service, camps, and being the primary liason for opponent communication...the workflow of the office is pretty fluid so i will assist in other areas as well...unfortunately, i can't work with the players while in this role...i will have to wait until i am an assistant coach to get back on the floor"

"i have not seen any workouts as i was not at cal this summer...i would assume that our primary three point threats would be jordan mathews, jeff powers, and ricky kreklow...hopefully, others have worked on their game and we can make 3 pt shooting a strength of our team"

tr=future bears assistant coach

the grind#
summer breezes#
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842151047 said:

who is cal's leading career 3 pt% shooter?

theo robertson shot an amazing .487% during the 2008 season & a bears record setting .440% for his career

as a pt of comparison, portland trail blazers sharpshooter alan crabbe shot .348% last season & the bears an abysmal .302%

theo robertson told me "i'm very excited to take this next step in my career...in my new role i will have various responsibilities ranging from team travel, on-campus recruiting, community service, camps, and being the primary liason for opponent communication...the workflow of the office is pretty fluid so i will assist in other areas as well...unfortunately, i can't work with the players while in this role...i will have to wait until i am an assistant coach to get back on the floor"

"i have not seen any workouts as i was not at cal this summer...i would assume that our primary three point threats would be jordan mathews, jeff powers, and ricky kreklow...hopefully, others have worked on their game and we can make 3 pt shooting a strength of our team"

tr=future bears assistant coach

the grind#
summer breezes#

Bird can make threes, and so can Sam Singer. Justin Cobbs was a three point threat in his sophomore year, shooting threes at a 0.413 clip, but not so good last year. Hopefully, this season he will revert back to his former 40+% level. We could be loaded with three point shooters.

:gobears:
R.Hobbs
SFCityBear;842151056 said:

Bird can make threes, and so can Sam Singer. Justin Cobbs was a three point threat in his sophomore year, shooting threes at a 0.413 clip, but not so good last year. Hopefully, this season he will revert back to his former 40+% level. We could be loaded with three point shooters.

Jordan Matthews can shoot lights out and if healthy, don't forget about Ricky K. The bottom line is that we have a bunch of kids who can fill it up from the outside .
Shocky1
the cal coaches & players are still buzzin about jordan mathew's electrifying 16-25 3 pt sharpshooting performance at a recent practice before summer bridge ended

2013 cal downtown jumpers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2012 bad news bears abysmal .302 3 pt%

the zone#
fireworks#
the grind#
summer breezes#
puget sound cal fan
Mathews prep record indicated he was a skilled guard, who was a dangerous shooter-scorer. With the addition of Singer, Bird and Mathews, the Bears have dramatically improved their scoring capability.
south bender
Does anyone have access to the high school senior year percentages of Mathews, Bird, Singer, and Kreklow?

That might give us some foreshadowing of what they might do in the coming season.

I throw Kreklow in there, since he has not played much in college, so his rather poor 3-point percentages at Cal and Missouri may be a bad sample of what he can do...

Go Bears!
HoopDreams
SFBearz
Here is Mathews from 3 in a last play situation, tied with Loyola:

R.Hobbs;842151075 said:

Jordan Matthews can shoot lights out and if healthy, don't forget about Ricky K. The bottom line is that we have a bunch of kids who can fill it up from the outside .
HoopDreams
isn't 24 Theo Roberson's number?
maybe that's a good sign....

SFBearz;842151446 said:

Here is Mathews from 3 in a last play situation, tied with Loyola:

Shocky1
aubrey shelton, hc for the lincoln abes in tacoma, told me that amhaad rorie shot 45% from behind the hs 3 pt line last season as a jr

presidential authority#
SFCityBear
R.Hobbs;842151075 said:

Not forgetting Ricky. Just adding some names to Theo's list of three point shooters. And after seeing Jabari knock down threes last night in the SF pro Am Championships, I feel even more confident that 3 point shooting will be a strength of this year's Cal team.

puget sound cal fan
It's looking like Solomon, Johnson, Kravish and Rooks will have room to operate in the paint on offense, which will open the court for lane penetration. Unlike recent years, Cal may have a variety of capable shooter -scorers that will give Monty multiple ways to attack the defense. That prospect underscores the need for the Bears to land a couple of skilled bigs to continue that scheme.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842130606 said:

name: thomas welsh

class: 2014

gpa: 3.7 (at an academically rigorous hs)

height: 7'

weight: 240 lbs

position: 5

hs: loyola cubs (los angeles)

hs coach: jamal adams

aau: la rockfish

cal unofficial: june 17, 2013-1st visit to cal

cal official: tbd

cal connection: bears recruiting teammate max hazzard

family: bro henry is a 6'8" sophomore cubs teammate

college leaders: cal (offer)
stanford (unofficial june 15/16)
usc (offer)
ucla (offered by previous staff)
arizona
asu (offer)

welsh quotes: "he's (mr cranky pants) a great guy...i love talking to him...he talked about the double post system they have and about the campus and school...i've talked to cal probably the most...i'm looking for the best combination of academics and athletics possible"

shockster opinion: welsh is absolutely blowing up this summer & is the fastest rising big man on the west coast...as an elite student, i doubt he seriously considers schools with less than stellar academic reputations

stanford (dawkins will likely be fired after 2014) & usc (will the trojans guards share the ball like smooth facilitator/distributor amhaad rorie?) are his favorites along with the bears...cal offers the best combination of elite academics & a double post system that will showcase welsh's soft touch & hustle around the basket

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

thomas welsh on an unofficial visit to ucla today

add notre dame to the list of college leaders above
Shocky1
are you serious?

fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot & jc will only be out 6-8 weeks, well before the bears 1st game against cop-a-feel state nov 8th

justin cobbs=2013 pac 12 mvp

the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
bears night club hero/skilled wingman/volume scorer (yeah, baby) jeff powers is starting a well written blog at calbears.com re: his summer

highlights of mr 25 hr energy drink's summer: internship at kgo, statistics class @foothill jc, developing along w/david kravish (of what not to wear fame) a spring semester class @cal entitled "basketball analysis 101" and of course, chillaxing at cabo wabo

and of course "i always managed to come back to the gym everyday"

hopefully monty will unleash jp on nov 12 vs his old school, denver...draining 3 pters from the vip section, haas will be electric

justin cobbs=2013 pac 12 mvp player
jeff powers=2013 pac 12 mvp playah

50 yr decision#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842146346 said:

ucla coach: hey iddy, how's it going?

idrissa diallo: real good, coach, how are you?

ucla coach: man, it's been crazy around here, sorry i haven't called in a while...we don't have a single point guard on the roster for 2014 and if josh perkins bails on us, we are gonna have a real problem

idrissa diallo: hmmm...

ucla coach: if that happens we might lose to cal poly at pauley again and then i'll be coaching at northern idaho...say, would you follow me to northern idaho if that happened?

idrissa diallo: geez coach, i'm not sure, i'd have to think about that

ucla coach: no worries, so how's that busted kneecap doing?

idrissa diallo: actually it's a broken elbow and its definitely getting better

ucla coach: good, good...how's coach muddlebrook doing?

idrissa diallo: coach middlebrooks is doing great, i'll tell him you said hello

ucla coach: thanks, how's the family back in kenya?

idrissa diallo: actually my family is from senegal which is...

ucla coach: (interrupts)...yeah, i knew that...hey iddy, i gotta grab this other call but i can't wait to see you wearing a bruins uniform

click

end of phone call

this is ucla basketball#

with no pgs on the roster for 2014, the bruins pg recruiting under alford is going nowhere fast

***amhaad rorie-commit to cal
***parker jackson-cartwright-commit to arizona
***josh perkins-parted ways with ucla today, heavy gonzaga lean (hc mark few attended all of his aau games this summer in person)
***robert cartwright-ignored by alford until too late, now waiting on stanford acceptance
***quentin snider-onetime louisville commit is an extreme ucla longshot thats indicated he's likely to stay close to home (ky)
***jordan mclaughlin-bruins safety dance pg is now a san diego state lean w/usc a close 2nd

apparently alford's riveting stories of playing under bobby knight 100 yrs ago isn't resonating very well with most 17 yr old recruits

hey but apparently there's a 5'7" pg at santa barbara cc that is very interested in starting for the bruins at pg in 2014...

this is ucla basketball#
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842152485 said:

with no pgs on the roster for 2014, the bruins pg recruiting under alford is going nowhere fast

***amhaad rorie-commit to cal
***parker jackson-cartwright-commit to arizona
***josh perkins-parted ways with ucla today, heavy gonzaga lean (hc mark few attended all of his aau games this summer in person)
***robert cartwright-ignored by alford until too late, now waiting on stanford acceptance
***quentin snider-onetime louisville commit is an extreme ucla longshot thats indicated he's likely to stay close to home (ky)
***jordan mclaughlin-bruins safety dance pg is now a san diego state lean w/usc a close 2nd

apparently alford's riveting stories of playing under bobby knight 100 yrs ago isn't resonating very well with most 17 yr old recruits

hey but apparently there's a 5'7" pg at santa barbara cc that is very interested in starting for the bruins at pg in 2014...

this is ucla basketball#

Apparently, Alford thinks his son Bryce is UCLA's PG of the future and it wouldn't surprise me if that's had an effect on the 2014 PG recruiting. I haven't seen Bryce play, so I have no opinion. Steve better hope his son is the PG version of Doug McDermott.
Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842152505 said:

Apparently, Alford thinks his son Bryce is UCLA's PG of the future and it wouldn't surprise me if that's had an effect on the 2014 PG recruiting. I haven't seen Bryce play, so I have no opinion. Steve better hope his son is the PG version of Doug McDermott.

wonder if thomas & idy share that view of bryce alford's pg skillset...

this is ucla basketball#
cody hawkins#
SFBearz
tsubamoto2001;842152505 said:

Well Jordan Adams seems to be really high on B. Alford, including his passing ability. I'd expect him to do well unless its hard to play for his dad.
HoopDreams
WOW, Basketball 101. Wish they had that class when I was at Cal !

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209080960

Shocky1;842152220 said:

bears night club hero/skilled wingman/volume scorer (yeah, baby) jeff powers is starting a well written blog at calbears.com re: his summer

highlights of mr 25 hr energy drink's summer: internship at kgo, statistics class @foothill jc, developing along w/david kravish (of what not to wear fame) a spring semester class @cal entitled "basketball analysis 101" and of course, chillaxing at cabo wabo

and of course "i always managed to come back to the gym everyday"

hopefully monty will unleash jp on nov 12 vs his old school, denver...draining 3 pters from the vip section, haas will be electric

justin cobbs=2013 pac 12 mvp player
jeff powers=2013 pac 12 mvp playah

50 yr decision#

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842152525 said:

WOW, Basketball 101. Wish they had that class when I was at Cal !

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209080960

no pictures of jp's roadtrip to cabo?

i dunno, kind of seems like shoddy journalism...

tmz: no pictures, no story#
Shocky1
SFBearz;842152519 said:

Well Jordan Adams seems to be really high on B. Alford, including his passing ability. I'd expect him to do well unless its hard to play for his dad.

or if he is not nearly quick enough to play pg in the pac 12

jordan adams ain't stoopid, never a wise strategy to publicly criticize the boss/hc's son

on the other hand, adams may bail after this season anyways so the potential 2014 ucla pg debacle won't be his problem

kyle campanelli#
this is ucla basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842149725 said:

no more teachers
no more books

the grind#
summer breezes#

high honors for the entire cal monster class...oski, sadly again, not so much

john montgomery told me "they all passed their classes which is good and they did a great job in the weight room and on the court...kameron rooks left at 256 which is great progress...jordan and sam got a lot stronger and are at good playing weights...jabari is up to 190 and is trying to get closer to 200 for the year...roger got a late start but is closer to 195...we can't wait to get started in a couple weeks"

men of distinction#
the grind#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
justin labagh, the winningiest hc in college bb history at 87.6%, once told me that for his sfcc teams "20 wins come between march and september"

so who is the most important (and also least appreciated) person in the bears basketball program during the summer?

that would be scott thom, the bb s&c coach & former bb hc at vintage hs in napa for 7 yrs

scott thom told me "this summer has been filled with non stop getting after it in the haas wt rm with my basketball players...we have been lifting 4 days a week and conditioning 2 days a week for the past 8 weeks...they'be been working tremendously hard and if i had to give a mvp, i'd give it to all of them!"

"the bigs david and rich have been using these past weeks to continue to build muscle and improve lateral quickness as well as improved overall conditioning...for rooks it was very different as he came into summer workouts a little out of shape and with no real background on the type of workouts we do...his workouts were geared towards keeping his heart rate up and working on his overall body mechanics to help build a base of conditioning, they were brutal but he got after it everday with a smile on his face!...once the base was set then i started increasing the weights and strength building exercises...he went from 272 to 257 by the time he left for home...david is now a solid 230 and rich a solid 240, both up 10 lbs since last season"

scott thom=100% focused energy

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842152181 said:

are you serious?

fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot & jc will only be out 6-8 weeks, well before the bears 1st game against cop-a-feel state nov 8th

justin cobbs=2013 pac 12 mvp

the grind#
summer breezes#

check out the seriously unhappy dude with his hands on his head in the ugly yellow shirt in the upper left center of the photo

fun times for mr black jacket in the center of the photo who's about to hurl into his right hand

also gotta love the cute brunette duck cheerleader pumping her pom poms in support of jc's ice in his veins buzzer beating game winner...i dunno maybe she's just smiling cuz she's checking out david kravish's package (real talk, that's how the real world works, hot girls from dumb azz schools try to date & marry cal guys when they leave school, cal grads hold all the cards)

thx to my current 1st wife mrs shockster (asu) for it support

view to a kill#
this is cal basketball#
HoopDreams
I posted this link to his game winning shot on a separate thread, but that picture is so awesome, it's worth posting this video again...

Shocky1;842153945 said:

check out the seriously unhappy dude with his hands on his head in the ugly yellow shirt in the upper left center of the photo

fun times for mr black jacket in the center of the photo who's about to hurl into his right hand

also gotta love the cute brunette duck cheerleader pumping her pom poms in support of jc's ice in his veins buzzer beating game winner...i dunno maybe she's just smiling cuz she's checking out david kravish's package (real talk, that's how the real world works, hot girls from dumb azz schools try to date & marry cal guys when they leave school, cal grads hold all the cards)

thx to my current 1st wife mrs shockster (asu) for it support

view to a kill#
this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
the work ethics of hs all american & starter from day 1 @cal jabari bird and the bears monster class?

scott thom told me "the rest (kameron discussed in part i) did an amazing job working hard, being coachable, and improving every week during summer bridge..jabari, sam, jordan and roger have all changed their bodies and are much stronger and in better condition than when they started...they're a really fun group to work with, they want to win, very competitive and are willing to put in the work!...jabari has been amazing, continuing to show up for workouts this week even though they aren't mandatory, that tells you a lot about motivated he is to get better!"

create greatness#
fly with the bird#
the grind#
summer breezes#
puget sound cal fan
This is great news. The individual effort, and the results, Thom has reported is impressive for each of the freshmen. Moreover, the camaraderie and teambuilding this endeavor is developing with this talented class may be as important to Cal basketball as the strength and conditioning endeavor, itself. Clay in Monty's hands.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.