cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,279,158 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
puget sound cal fan;842154343 said:

This is great news. The individual effort, and the results, Thom has reported is impressive for each of the freshmen. Moreover, the camaraderie and teambuilding this endeavor is developing with this talented class may be as important to Cal basketball as the strength and conditioning endeavor, itself. Clay in Monty's hands.

Great news and a tribute to all these guys and to Monty for recruiting talented guys with great attitudes.

Can't wait to see them all on the court!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
the works ethics of the other returning bears from last season's 21-12 2nd place pac 12 ncaa tnt team?

scott thom told me "tyrone, justin, ricky, cb, garrett and khalil have all done a sound job of showing up everyday ready to put in work!...everyone's workouts vary because everyone's goals are a little different...for example, justin has a pretty solid strength base so his workouts focused more on balance, foot speed, conditioning, and mobility where's tyrone's workouts focused more on continuing to get stronger, build up his body, and help him become quicker and more explosive"

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#
puget sound cal fan
Yeah, thanks for the reminder that it's not just the freshmen that are teambuilding together through S&C workouts--the returning players are right there alongside the frosh busting their collective hump. Even better!
Shocky1
"things do not happen...things are made to happen"

-john f. kennedy

camelot#
the grind#
summer breezes#
HoopDreams
Shockster is providing the Cal fans a great public service...providing updates and insights about the team during the off season.

I wonder why Cal basketball doesn't do that themselves. With all the social media, the Cal Bears official website, etc, they could certainly do so. I don't know why they couldn't provide some type of update, look, comment, etc. just about every day.

The Shockster seems to be able to do it.

Shocky1;842154704 said:

the works ethics of the other returning bears from last season's 21-12 2nd place pac 12 ncaa tnt team?

scott thom told me "tyrone, justin, ricky, cb, garrett and khalil have all done a sound job of showing up everyday ready to put in work!...everyone's workouts vary because everyone's goals are a little different...for example, justin has a pretty solid strength base so his workouts focused more on balance, foot speed, conditioning, and mobility where's tyrone's workouts focused more on continuing to get stronger, build up his body, and help him become quicker and more explosive"

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#
Big C
Shocky1;842154704 said:

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Speaking of different strength and conditioning goals, is Khalil Johnson's future on the team still seen as a 3/wing, or is he being regroomed as a 3-4 backup combo-forward?
antipattern
Big C_Cal;842155138 said:

Speaking of different strength and conditioning goals, is Khalil Johnson's future on the team still seen as a 3/wing, or is he being regroomed as a 3-4 backup combo-forward?

Monty was quoted as saying something along the lines of "Khalil's future here is at the 4." I cannot remember where I saw this, so citation needed.
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842155138 said:

big c, check out the may 17th post "kahlil Johnson-the time is now" w/john montgomery's comments

one of the fiercely contested battles for pt that will play out this fall is for the 2nd big off the bench behind starters solo & doc kravish and 1st sub k(rooks)

the 3 contenders all have their pluses:

***christian behrens-most height at 6'9" & most experience
***kahlil Johnson-most girth at 225 lbs & best perimeter shooter
***roger moute a bidias-compared by the staff to andre roberson, most upside

there are implications for the 2014 roster with this battle as the bears will likely be bringing in 2 (and maybe 3 if pope commits) more bigs among welsh, diallo, eleraky, pope (could also play a big lineup 3), miller & egi (if he bonds with his new hs pg, amhaad rorie)

potential outcomes for the players not earning the 2013 2nd big off the bench role:
-cb could finish up at cal as a roster player in 2014 & graduate or take a medical retirement after 2 major surgeries in hs & college or transfer in good academic standing to a school like seattle offering pt
-kj could continue at cal as a roster player or transfer in good academic standing to a school offering pt
-roger should then blueshirt to allow for additional s&c growth & also better academically transition as he is currently the least academically developed member of cal's monster class having grown up in cameroon

with foul trouble & injuries all realistically part of the long college bb season, the 2nd big of the bench role will be critical to the bear's depth & ability to compete for a pac 12 title in 2013

they might be giants#
the grind#
summer breezes#
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842155188 said:

big c, check out the may 17th post "kahlil Johnson-the time is now" w/john montgomery's comments

one of the fiercely contested battles for pt that will play out this fall is for the 2nd big off the bench behind starters solo & doc kravish and 1st sub k(rooks)

there are implications for the 2014 roster with this battle as the bears will likely be bringing in 2 (and maybe 3 if pope commits) more bigs among welsh, diallo, eleraky, pope (could also play a big lineup 3), miller & egi (if he bonds with his new hs pg, amhaad rorie)

potential outcomes for the players not earning the 2013 2nd big off the bench role:
-cb could finish up at cal as a roster player in 2014 & graduate or take a medical retirement after 2 major surgeries in hs & college or transfer in good academic standing to a school like seattle offering pt
-kj could continue at cal as a roster player or transfer in good academic standing to a school offering pt
-roger should then blueshirt to allow for additional s&c growth & also better academically transition as he is currently the least academically developed member of cal's monster class having grown up in cameroon

with foul trouble & injuries all realistically part of the long college bb season, the 2nd big of the bench role will be critical to the bear's depth & ability to compete for a pac 12 title in 2013

they might be giants#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Behrens is listed at 225 as well, though I would guess that he has added to that. Depending on matchups he has the height and weight to play some 5 as well as the 4. Experience-wise he doesn't really have much of an advantage with less than 100 min played in his career.

Playing time for Behrens, Johnson, and RMAB might come down to who can rebound and scrap in the paint the best and then not cause too many breakdowns on offense. Any actual positive offensive impact (beyond finishing dropoffs and collecting some garbage points) would be an unexpected bonus.

Hopefully they can get some extended PT in November and December.
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842155188 said:

they might be giants#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Interesting that you would hand the "1st sub" job to Rooks. Behrens may only have 100 minutes game time, but he has been in this system for two years, and has beaucoup knowledge of it, plus practice time, whereas Rooks has neither. Rooks is a one position player, center. Behrens can play center or PF. Rooks might turn out to be the best option off the bench at center, but when Monty needs to sub for Kravish, his best option on paper is Behrens. If he puts Rooks in for Kravish, then Solo moves to PF, and PF is not Solo's best position. I think Behrens or Johnson will be the first sub for Kravish. If Rooks is not ready to sub for Solo, then Kravish moves to center with Behrens or Johnson coming in to play PF. The other option is with Kravish moving to center and going small with Bird or Kreklow playing a PF.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams;842155078 said:

Shockster is providing the Cal fans a great public service...providing updates and insights about the team during the off season.

I wonder why Cal basketball doesn't do that themselves. With all the social media, the Cal Bears official website, etc, they could certainly do so. I don't know why they couldn't provide some type of update, look, comment, etc. just about every day.

The Shockster seems to be able to do it.

The answer may be that for the Shockster, it is a labor of love. The Bear publicists are probably being paid for what they do, and you usually get only what you pay for.

Viva Shocky1! :bravo
R.Hobbs
SFCityBear;842155294 said:

Interesting that you would hand the "1st sub" job to Rooks. Behrens may only have 100 minutes game time, but he has been in this system for two years, and has beaucoup knowledge of it, plus practice time, whereas Rooks has neither. Rooks is a one position player, center. Behrens can play center or PF. Rooks might turn out to be the best option off the bench at center, but when Monty needs to sub for Kravish, his best option on paper is Behrens. If he puts Rooks in for Kravish, then Solo moves to PF, and PF is not Solo's best position. I think Behrens or Johnson will be the first sub for Kravish. If Rooks is not ready to sub for Solo, then Kravish moves to center with Behrens or Johnson coming in to play PF. The other option is with Kravish moving to center and going small with Bird or Kreklow playing a PF.
I'm thinking we may see a lot of 4 out and one in this year.
puget sound cal fan
You may be correct about Behren's potential. Unfortunately, his injuries have limited the amount of PT he's received at Cal, and he has not had the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do. Behrens has the length, and, presumably, the athleticism to contribute to the Bear front line's production this season. The early season will give us a chance to see if his rehab is complete, and if he's ready to contribute.
stu

Behrens can play center or PF ... The other option is with Kravish moving to center and going small with Bird or Kreklow playing a PF.

I've only seen Behrens a bit, but I remember him playing more outside than inside and not looking like much of a rebounder. But I think you're right about the 4-out, with either Kravish or Bird bringing more to the 4 spot and Kravish being fine at 5.
SFCityBear
stu;842155422 said:

I've only seen Behrens a bit, but I remember him playing more outside than inside and not looking like much of a rebounder. But I think you're right about the 4-out, with either Kravish or Bird bringing more to the 4 spot and Kravish being fine at 5.

You are right about Behrens playing more outside than inside. I saw him in a scrimmage at Cal, and he looked very good rebounding the ball. He slashes to the basket really well, either to score or rebound. My main concern about him (other than the knee) is can he play defense? I'd like to see him shoot more jump shots, to see how good he is at that part of the game.

I'd play Kreklow at the 4 before I'd play Bird there. Both are listed at 6'-6", but Kreklow is 20 pounds heavier at 210 lbs. He's a better rebounder and much better defender, from what little I've seen of both. Bird can certainly sky, and before he is done at Cal, he should become an excellent rebounder and good defender. I'd be really interested to see a lineup of four out, with Kravish or Solo inside and the four out being Bird, Kreklow, Mathews and Cobbs, along with the other options of Wallace and Singer. Bombs away!

:gobears:
Shocky1

gregg gottlieb told me "all of our post players have shown improvement and changed/improved physically...we hope that david and richard make a jump to being able to provide a little more offense than they have in the past but that has to be proven in games against other good players"

"we like rooks...he has a chance to be very good..he is not a great athlete but has tremendous size and good hands"

"christian behrens is still not cleared to play live basketball but we anticipate him being ready to play when the season starts...he will be given every opportunity to prove he can help us!"

real talk#
the grind#
summer breezes#
HoopDreams
interesting quotes from Coach
Thx Shockter!

Shocky1;842156051 said:

gregg gottlieb told me "all of our post players have shown improvement and changed/improved physically...we hope that david and richard make a jump to being able to provide a little more offense than they have in the past but that has to be proven in games against other good players"

"we like rooks...he has a chance to be very good..he is not a great athlete but has tremendous size and good hands"

"christian behrens is still not cleared to play live basketball but we anticipate him being ready to play when the season starts...he will be given every opportunity to prove he can help us!"

real talk#
the grind#
summer breezes#
HoopDreams
...In terms of bigs, I'll go center Thomas Welsh over Abdul-Malik Abu. Last summer, I slapped a mid-level grade on Welsh. This time around he looks like a lock of a top-100 prospect to me.
calumnus
R.Hobbs;842155302 said:

I'm thinking we may see a lot of 4 out and one in this year.

Me too, essentially a lot of Kreklow, Johnson, Moute, or Powers at the 4.

In order of listed height/weight:

Powers 6'7" 223
Johnson 6'7" 206
Moute 6'7" 200
Kreklow 6'6" 210

I know I've said this before, but I don't think it is wise to overlook Powers as a 4 off the bench in that 4 out and 1 in offense and possible first "4" off the bench, especially if the injury hampers Behrens. He is the biggest/strongest of the players under consideration (after Behrens I mean). He is a 5th year senior with 4 years playing/practicing (and weight training under Monty (and well drilled at De La Salle). He has game experience (including some at the 4 last year) and is has the best three point percentage of our returning players (essential in that 4 out offense).

I hope the younger/less experienced players overtake him, but I would not be surprised to see Monty rely on his 5th year senior if he is going to go with an undersized player in that role.
calumnus
HoopDreams;841941269 said:

I think there was a question somewhere asking whether Theo can recruit, and the answer was yes

Theo himself said that as the grad assistant he could not go on the road and recruit, but would be very active once the recruits were on campus for a visit. My question was if that restriction restricted his ability to show up at Soldiers (his old AAU club) games and talk with the coaches, etc.

Today it was announced Theo has been promoted to Director of Basketball Operations LINK However, I think that position is still restricted from going on the road and recruiting?
Shocky1
christian behrens & ricky kreklow?

scott thom told me "cb and ricky's rehab programs are coming along smoothly...barry the trainer takes the kudos for all that, my goal is to just keep them them improving on the exercises barry and i agree on using with them from week to week...they both have put in a ton of work, i'm really excited to see them get back on the court getting after it"

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#
mikecohen
calumnus;842156381 said:

Me too, essentially a lot of Kreklow, Johnson, Moute, or Powers at the 4.

In order of listed height/weight:

Powers 6'7" 223
Johnson 6'7" 206
Moute 6'7" 200
Kreklow 6'6" 210

I know I've said this before, but I don't think it is wise to overlook Powers as a 4 off the bench in that 4 out and 1 in offense and possible first "4" off the bench, especially if the injury hampers Behrens. He is the biggest/strongest of the players under consideration (after Behrens I mean). He is a 5th year senior with 4 years playing/practicing (and weight training under Monty (and well drilled at De La Salle). He has game experience (including some at the 4 last year) and is has the best three point percentage of our returning players (essential in that 4 out offense).

I hope the younger/less experienced players overtake him, but I would not be surprised to see Monty rely on his 5th year senior if he is going to go with an undersized player in that role.

To exaggerate for effect: I don't recall seeing Powers play inside the 3-point line almost at all; and I haven't seen him catch fire from 3, as stories have suggested he has the spirit to do.
mikecohen
Shocky1;842156390 said:

christian behrens & ricky kreklow?

scott thom told me "cb and ricky's rehab programs are coming along smoothly...barry the trainer takes the kudos for all that, my goal is to just keep them them improving on the exercises barry and i agree on using with them from week to week...they both have put in a ton of work, i'm really excited to see them get back on the court getting after it"

create greatness#
the grind#
summer breezes#

If, a year after his injury, Kreklow's rehab is just "coming along smoothly", and keeping improving week to week on the exercises he is given, even after having put in a ton of work, what does that mean for Cobbs who has the same injury? For Cobbs' benefit, should a medical redshirt be considered if possible?
antipattern
mikecohen;842156399 said:

If, a year after his injury, Kreklow's rehab is just "coming along smoothly", and keeping improving week to week on the exercises he is given, even after having put in a ton of work, what does that mean for Cobbs who has the same injury? For Cobbs' benefit, should a medical redshirt be considered if possible?

It's the same injury? When did that information come out? Kreklow had surgery and a screw in his foot. I didn't think Justin had anything like that. I think they said surgery was possible in the only official statement I saw, but that also said he'd be out 16 weeks at most. How is it that you just turned that into a year? Damn, Mike, cheer up!
mikecohen
antipattern;842156436 said:

It's the same injury? When did that information come out? Kreklow had surgery and a screw in his foot. I didn't think Justin had anything like that. I think they said surgery was possible in the only official statement I saw, but that also said he'd be out 16 weeks at most. How is it that you just turned that into a year? Damn, Mike, cheer up!

5th Metatarsal fracture -- If I remember correctly, Kreklow had the same prognosis at the beginning, 6-8 weeks, and it was hoped surgery would not be necessary. I also remember that Kreklow, like Cobbs, is noted for his toughness. I also admit that my memory is not perfect, and I know that there is a wide range of possible seriousness of any fracture, although my imperfect memory also seems to contain the notion that 5th metatarsal injuries tend to be more troublesome than they should be - maybe particularly among high functioning athletes who are putting the most major pressure on their bodies. I'm actually pretty cheerful; and I understand that unforeseen injuries and other things like academic ineligibility and personal foibles probably need to be folded into any season. I.e., you're lucky if none of those things happen. I just am interested in the truth. If medical red-shirting was looked into: (1) It would take away the temptation to push Cobbs too fast for his future; and (2) It would set up a truly monster team next year.
calumnus
mikecohen;842156394 said:

To exaggerate for effect: I don't recall seeing Powers play inside the 3-point line almost at all; and I haven't seen him catch fire from 3, as stories have suggested he has the spirit to do.

Well we are talking about playing "4 out one in" in the first place. The keys for playing that role are knowing the offense, being able to hit the 3 and importantly guarding the other team's 4--and Powers is the biggest/strongest of the guys we are talking about doing that.

As for 3 point shooting, here are last year's percentages for our guards/forwards:
Powers .375
Crabbe .348
Johnson .333
Cobbs .325
Kreklow .278
Wallace .224

I am really hopeful for Johnson, and people claim Kreklow is a good shooter though he hasn't demonstrated that at Cal or Missouri yet. It would be best for the program if one of those guys steps up, but Powers has consistently been able to hit the three so I think Monty will not hesitate to play his fifth year senior if the other guys don't step up.
calfanz
mikecohen;842156537 said:

5th Metatarsal fracture -- If I remember correctly, Kreklow had the same prognosis at the beginning, 6-8 weeks, and it was hoped surgery would not be necessary. I also remember that Kreklow, like Cobbs, is noted for his toughness. I also admit that my memory is not perfect, and I know that there is a wide range of possible seriousness of any fracture, although my imperfect memory also seems to contain the notion that 5th metatarsal injuries tend to be more troublesome than they should be - maybe particularly among high functioning athletes who are putting the most major pressure on their bodies. I'm actually pretty cheerful; and I understand that unforeseen injuries and other things like academic ineligibility and personal foibles probably need to be folded into any season. I.e., you're lucky if none of those things happen. I just am interested in the truth. If medical red-shirting was looked into: (1) It would take away the temptation to push Cobbs too fast for his future; and (2) It would set up a truly monster team next year.

1- Same Bone, different mechanism. Ricky's was a stress fracture, probably to an area with marginal blood supply

2-Both had screws placed, both were put on the same rehab schedule.

3- Hopefully JCobbs has better luck and better protoplasm than ricky.

#gobears
HoopDreams
Shocky1
"i just said goodbye to my mom...it was the most bittersweet moment ever...i love her more than life itself"

amhaad rorie traveled today 2938 miles from tacoma to lake county florida & the montverde academy for his sr yr of hs...ar will play for the school's nationally ranked bb team & also benefit from the rigorous academic preparation (montverde students have a 100% college acceptance rate & 85% college of 1st choice acceptance rate)

montverde will best prepare ar both athletically & academically for his transition to cal during the summer of 2014...but it also means he needed to leave his family & friends in the 253

selfless & loving decision by amhaad's mom, rhonetta thomas, to support him on his quest

mom matters#
the grind#
summer breezes#
Big C
mikecohen;842156537 said:

This is already Cobb's 5th year. A medical redshirt for him would be one of those "almost unheard of 6th years" like Al Grigsby had. Not entirely sure, but I think a 6th year is only granted in the case of both extra years (after 4) being due to injury... and even then it's pretty rare, requiring special review.
puget sound cal fan
..and he remains committed to Cal--bless him. He'll be exposed to tough prep school competition, and, rigorous academic preparation, too. The thing I worry about is the exposure Monte Verde hoops receives to the top college teams in the country and the intensity of recruiting that entails. Maybe he'll recruit for the Bears.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842151047 said:

who is cal's leading career 3 pt% shooter?

theo robertson shot an amazing .487% during the 2008 season & a bears record setting .440% for his career

as a pt of comparison, portland trail blazers sharpshooter alan crabbe shot .348% last season & the bears an abysmal .302%

theo robertson told me "i'm very excited to take this next step in my career...in my new role i will have various responsibilities ranging from team travel, on-campus recruiting, community service, camps, and being the primary liason for opponent communication...the workflow of the office is pretty fluid so i will assist in other areas as well...unfortunately, i can't work with the players while in this role...i will have to wait until i am an assistant coach to get back on the floor"

"i have not seen any workouts as i was not at cal this summer...i would assume that our primary three point threats would be jordan mathews, jeff powers, and ricky kreklow...hopefully, others have worked on their game and we can make 3 pt shooting a strength of our team"

tr=future bears assistant coach

the grind#
summer breezes#

u red it heer furst
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
Rorie and his Mom (as he leaves for Florida)

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842156814 said:

Rorie and his Mom (as he leaves for Florida)

two roads diverged in a wood, and i-
i took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference

-robert frost

50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.