cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,890 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842204890 said:

travis decuire told me that "our rotation is still unsolved...competiton has been great which has made it difficult to predict how things will play out"

"richard solomon has been the surprise at this point...he has improved in a lot of areas"

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 206)

16 rebounds & 2 blocks as solo dominates the paint as the mile high club is grounded by solo & kravish (15 pts)

sr leadership#
lets roll#
the grind#
unbreakable#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842216900 said:

"signing my loi tomorro...just want to thank everyone that has supported me"

-ahmaad rorie

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 rated public university in the world (including the 253)
HoopDreams
Rorie verballed early, and is following through. Very cool !

Shocky1;842221342 said:

"signing my loi tomorro...just want to thank everyone that has supported me"

-ahmaad rorie

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 rated public university in the world (including the 253)
GoldenBear1
Really excited about this TEAM.
Went to the game tonight.
Bears look like an unselfish talented team that as the freshman mature can be special.
Love our coaching staff, fired up for LOI day tomorrow.
Excited for Rorie to officially be a Golden Bear. Some bigs join him and the future of California basketball is sky high.

Go Bears!
HoopDreams
after 2 games, seattle times pick the all freshmen team
2 Cal Bears on his list

PAC-12 PRESEASON ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM

F Aaron Gordon .. Arizona

F Rondae Hollis-Jefferson .. Arizona

F- Wesley Gordon .. Colorado

G Jabari Bird . Cal

G Nigel William-Goss . Washington

Honorable mention: Utah's Ahmad Fields, Washington State's Ike Iroegbu, UW's Darin Johnson, UCLA's Zach LaVine, Cal's Jordan Matthews, Utah's Parker Van Dyke and WSU's Que Johnson.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842204890 said:

travis decuire told me that "our rotation is still unsolved...competiton has been great which has made it difficult to predict how things will play out"

"richard solomon has been the surprise at this point...he has improved in a lot of areas"

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 206)

solo's coming out party was last season's physically grinding performance vs syracuse in the ncca tnt

last night was another huge step forward...denver was aware of his presence the entire game

"richard was a beast on the boards...he really was, mostly on the defense but some offense"

-mike montgomery

"i was just putting myself in position to get the rebound...just holding off my man and just going up and getting as high as i can and they just kept coming at me...it's kinda easy when they just fall in your hands"

-richard solomon

cal family#
bears bigs continued development#
the grind#
unbreakable#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842221449 said:

solo's coming out party was last season's physically grinding performance vs syracuse in the ncca tnt

last night was another huge step forward...denver was aware of his presence the entire game

"richard was a beast on the boards...he really was, mostly on the defense but some offense"

-mike montgomery

"i was just putting myself in position to get the rebound...just holding off my man and just going up and getting as high as i can and they just kept coming at me...it's kinda easy when they just fall in your hands"

-richard solomon

cal family#
bears bigs continued development#
the grind#
unbreakable#

Agree with this. I am chalking a ton of this up to his background martial arts. Richard is scary athletic. Not in a bruising sort of way like a bunch of athletic bigs but in respect to body control and positioning "in space". The more open and flowing the offense the more those skills shine.
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842175347 said:

welcome ahmaad rorie, potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/distributor/scorer pg for the #1 ranked hs bb team in the usa & the 1st 2014 signee for the university of california golden bears

kudos to likely future cal hc travis decuire for his honest & longtime recruitment of ahmaad & his mom rhonetta thomas

ahmaad has taken the road less traveled in life traveling from tacoma to a cowfield in florida to purse his quest of becoming the best possible student athlete in preparation for his 2014 summer bridge arrival in berkeley

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842221764 said:

welcome ahmaad rorie, potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/distributor/scorer pg for the #1 ranked hs bb team in the usa & the 1st 2014 signee for the university of california golden bears

kudos to likely future cal hc travis decuire for his honest & longtime recruitment of ahmaad & his mom rhonetta thomas

ahmaad has taken the road less traveled in life traveling from tacoma to a cowfield in florida to purse his quest of becoming the best possible student athlete in preparation for his 2014 summer bridge arrival in berkeley

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#

"ahmaad has been committed to us for a long time and we are excited about him becoming a golden bear...he is a terrific young man with a great future...he will come in and help us with the departure of justin cobbs next season...ahmaad is an unselfish player...he is a very good passer who also has the ability to make shots"

-mike montgomery

http://www.calbears.com/ViewImage.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&PHOTOID=211515176
Shocky1
Shocky1;842221129 said:

steve alford's decade late apology as mandated by the ucla ad from this april:

"at that time i instinctively and mistakenly came to (pierece's) defense before knowing all the facts...i wanted to believe he was innocent and in response to a media question i publicly proclaimed his innocence before the legal system had run its course"

"that was inappropriate, insensitive and hurtful especially for the young female victim and i apologize for that"

"i have learned and grown from that experience and now understand that such proclamations can contribute to an atmosphere in which similar crimes go unreported and victims are not taken seriously"

why did alford wait over a decade to apologize?
does he feel any responsibility for the 2nd rape by pierce of another young lady?
what does this say about alford's character?

"i'm looking for a place where i could fit in well and a place where i can develop and continue to improve as a basketball player, student and as a human being"

-thomas welsh

how does ucla match up with tw's criteria?

**alford is running a 5 wild wings offense with no pg unless you consider his son bryce a pac 12 caliber pg
**ucla does not offer an undergraduate business major which is tw's stated preference for academic study
**alford is a documented enabler of a rapist all in the name of winning a few more bb games...and his apology a decade later seems pretty insincere
HoopDreams
Cal point guard of the future!

Shocky1
Shocky1;842206124 said:

"i always respect single mothers a lot...particularly my own"

mom matters#
cal family#

"sent my mom pics of me signing...she said it brought tears to her eyes...doing everything for her"

-ahmaad rorie

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842221986 said:

Cal point guard of the future!

it is fascinating & gratifying to see our golden bear recruits & players make signficant strides in their personal growth with the mentoring of our honest & high character cal coaching staff

ahmaad rorie used to have a twitter account until nov of 2010 that reflected a somewhat lost street kid with a lack of focus

enter travis decuire who has coached up ahmaad rorie in many ways that extend far beyond basketball...according to john foletta's interview with ahmaad, ar & td speak literally EVERY day...rorie's current twitter account reflects that maturity & appreciation for his unlimited opportuntites

td is building a potential guard recruiting pipeline to the seattle area:

*****ahmaad rorie (2014), tacoma
*****dejounte murray (2015), rainier beach
*****isiah brown (2016), lakeside
*****jaylen nowell (2017), garfield

there is growing support among the bears donor community & cal athletic dept that someday travis decuire will be the next bb coach at the university of california, berkeley

but make no mistake about it, we are loving every minute & season that monty coaches our golden bears

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 206 & 253)

Shocky1
oscar frayer (2016 alan crabbe jr) & damari milstead (2017 top ranked pg in nor cal) made unofficial visits to berkeley for monday night's bears mauling of denver

oscar & damari also played in an informal pick up game with many of the current bears at the rsf prior to the ohio state fb game in sept

both play for moreau catholic (18-10 last season with a predominantly underclassmen team) & hc frank knight (former all state guard at oakland fremont)

knight is building something special at mc (hayward) with his high expectations for his players both academically & athletically...like justin labagh at ccsf, many of frank knight's players will be well qualified to earn schollys if they work hard & follow his principles of success

"if you want to do something transformative and want to be challenged in the classroom and on the court, then moreau would be a good fit"

-frank knight

go mariners#
cal family#
bay areas finest#
the grind#
unbreakable#

oscar frayer

damari milstead

Big C
Shocky1;842220682 said:

"no hustle, no attitude, no defense, no crowd, no coach...pathetic all the way around...dawkins sitting on the bench during the last seconds completely stoic and just blinking his eyes wildly...muir (the stanford ad) sitting by himself in the middle of the vip section with his chin in his hand...byu fans much louder than ours...people streaming out with 11 minutes to go...i may not be able to take it any more"

this is stanford basketball#
adios johnny#

Gotta agree to disagree on this issue. A Stanford turnaround is just over the horizon. If not this season, then certainly next. Their AD needs to be patient and give Dawkins a bit more time.
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842222403 said:

Gotta agree to disagree on this issue. A Stanford turnaround is just over the horizon. If not this season, then certainly next. Their AD needs to be patient and give Dawkins a bit more time.

agreed...ad muir should contractually lock up jd for the next 5 seasons
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842222404 said:

agreed...ad muir should contractually lock up jd for the next 5 seasons

They should add another 5 just cuz he's such a nice guy and a swell representative of their university and make it 10 seasons.
Shocky1
NYCGOBEARS;842222414 said:

They should add another 5 just cuz he's such a nice guy and a swell representative of their university and make it 10 seasons.

with another 5 yr mandated extension if stanford bb continues to outdraw ladies night at the sunnyside east palo alto retirement home
Shocky1
documentation re: how girls from mediocre dumb azz schools act when they are around cal guys

mrs degree#
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842222438 said:

documentation re: how girls from mediocre dumb azz schools act when they are around cal guys

mrs degree#

Which fine educational institution do those (ahem) ladies represent?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842206377 said:

cal standout & currently professional beach volleyball player morgan beck

married to olympic gold medalist skier bode miller

cal family#

the best thing about volleyball are the very cool super secret finger plays given out behind the back

my therapist (my current 1st wife mrs shockster) says i can apparently see sexual cues in just about anything...

like that's a bad thing

cal family#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842203684 said:

idrissa seeking greatness#
cal family#

one of the significant benefits of signing in the fall period vs the spring period is the implicit insurance policy that a loi creates contractually between the player & the school

let's say a player blows out their knee during their sr season in hs...bb can be a violent & cruel sport that can (and has thousands of times) end a star prospect's career during a split second play

so let's walk thru a scenario where a star prospect tears their acl in a career ending injury:

if the player has not signed a loi during the fall period, then he is essentially a free agent & realistically unlikely to receive a bb scholly to any college at that pt...that could mean student loans of $150,000-$200,000

if the player has signed a loi during the fall period, then he reports to his selected school with the other incoming freshmen...once it is medically determined that the player cannot compete anymore, the ncaa guidelines stipulate that the player & school agree to a reasonable time period (probably 4 yrs) for the player to graduate & the school then pays all expenses under a medical retirement scholly (which does not count against the college's 13 active scholly cap)

50 yr decision#
bearchamp
Does anybody consider whether the parents of recruits review this board and whether such parents will be favorably disposed to the juvenile cheesecake pictures and commentary?
socaltownie
Yeah - I have to say. Shockey, time to start marking these threads NSFW.
OldBlue1999
bearchamp;842222748 said:

Does anybody consider whether the parents of recruits review this board and whether such parents will be favorably disposed to the juvenile cheesecake pictures and commentary?

Yeah I'm sure 17 year old males will be horrified to learn there might be coeds like Morgan running around Berkeley.
Shocky1
bearchamp;842222748 said:

bearchamp=javert
Shocky1
Shocky1;842222438 said:

mrs degree#

it ain't harvard...
OldBlue1999
Shocky1;842222808 said:

it ain't harvard...

They're not acting very presidential.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842221969 said:

"i'm looking for a place where i could fit in well and a place where i can develop and continue to improve as a basketball player, student and as a human being"

-thomas welsh

how does ucla match up with tw's criteria?

**alford is running a 5 wild wings offense with no pg unless you consider his son bryce a pac 12 caliber pg
**ucla does not offer an undergraduate business major which is tw's stated preference for academic study
**alford is a documented enabler of a rapist all in the name of winning a few more bb games...and his apology a decade later seems pretty insincere

how does stanford match up with tw's criteria?

**dawkins is running the diamond offense for the 1st time in his career...stanford's starting center nastic returns next season
**stanford does not offer an undergraduate business major which is tw's stated preference for academic study
**johnny dawkins is a good person but after missing the ncaa tnt all 5 yrs & with a 39-51 pac 12 record, ad muir has made it clear the cards must make the ncaa tnt if jd is to be retained beyond this season

how does cal match up with tw's criteria?

**monty has successfully run a two post iniated offense for yrs...gregg gottlieb was the 1st major program coach to recognize tw's potential & build a relationship...welsh would likely replace solo in the starting line up next yr
**cal's haas undergraduate business school is the#2 ranked b-school in the nation...an undergrad biz degree from haas eliminates the need for an additional 2 yrs of schooling to earn a mba upon graduation
**mike montgomery is one of the greatest & most successful coaches in the history of college basketball

50 yr decision#
HoopDreams
...and this man is going to help do the same to Cal's next opponent...

GoldenBear1
TW would be an instant fan favorite if he picks Cal over ucla and furd.
On top of the best coaching staff, a strong team with great group of guys and #1 University that point has to put California over the top!

Go Bears
concordtom
Shocky1;842223027 said:

how does cal match up with tw's criteria?

**monty has successfully run a two post iniated offense for yrs...gregg gottlieb was the 1st major program coach to recognize tw's potential & build a relationship...welsh would likely replace solo in the starting line up next yr
**cal's haas undergraduate business school is the#2 ranked b-school in the nation...an undergrad biz degree from haas eliminates the need for an additional 2 yrs of schooling to earn a mba upon graduation
**mike montgomery is one of the greatest & most successful coaches in the history of college basketball

50 yr decision#

I like this part of your post the best. If I'm sick of negative recruiting, I'm pretty much sure the Welsh family is as well. How many posts do we need about Alford's son or some rapist from long ago do we need in order to get the guy to like Berkeley?

Take the high road. It leads to Grizzley Peak.

antipattern
concordtom;842223222 said:

I like this part of your post the best. If I'm sick of negative recruiting, I'm pretty much sure the Welsh family is as well. How many posts do we need about Alford's son or some rapist from long ago do we need in order to get the guy to like Berkeley?

Agree! I read some of those Alford posts and had to check if they were written by Shocky or TheRise.
concordtom
I was at this same location in the hills a couple weeks ago and was thinking I wanted to find a large private lot (in the hills, where you can't own/build) and put my dream house there. It is the best view ever! And I've lived in some places with views!

For my next house, I would like to have one huge screen with a Live Cam image posted over, simulating a window with this view. I would want to be able to see it live, so as the weather changes, I see the weather change, even though I am far away. Maybe I could have that view facing the west. I would pick another favorite view of mine from DC, 2 blocks from the Iwo Jima looking East across The Mall from on high. That was pretty cool, just because of everything that was happening down there - if not the "view" itself.

I suppose the Bahamas beach view was pretty choice as well.
The Spanish Mediterranean is like home away from home.
And while I have never lived in the Rockies, I could take one from there, or Tahoe, too. Maybe somewhere in Europe. Interlaken?

Wherever your favorite views are, I bet they all started with Grizzley Peak. But no telling what you did there!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
concordtom;842223222 said:

tom, i doubt the two young ladies who are now in their mid 30's, would agree with your preference to forget about "some rapist from long ago"

if any of your daughters were violated by some scum of earth & their enabler(s), would you be willing to forget about it a decade later?

congratulations, tom, you are the dad of the year

in my travels i have observed that the most hopeless places on earth are those places where females and the very young are not protected by society from violent predators...idrissa diallo knows what i'm talking about

like joe paterno, steve alford used his position as head basketball coach at the university of iowa to enable a rapist to continue his path of destruction causing lifetimes of pain for these young ladies & their families...that's not ok with me

the cal experience has taught me to tolerate other points of view...it is possible that steve alford's unremorseful attitude toward his crimes will not be a deal breaker for thomas welsh & his family

but as the father of 2 carefree high school daughters, justice would be served if both pierce & alford shared a prison cell together for a long time

peace

First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.