cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,167 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. california institute of technology (cal tech)
2. university of oxford
3. harvard university
4. stanford university
5. massachusetts institute of technology (mit)
6. princeton university
7. university of cambridge
8. university of california, berkeley (cal)
9. university of chicago
10. imperial college london
11. yale university

per the 2013/2014 times higher education world university rankings
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking/range/001-200

shelton, cuonzo martin & the cal bb coaching staff are looking forward to your official visit later this week to the #1 (#8 overall) public university in the world

vanderbilt is ranked #88 in the world & missouri is ranked #301-350 in the world

basketball (particularly the nba) is a cruel game, every player is one split second play, one violent play from your basketball days being over forever...and then you need your college education to help you achieve your dreams in life

50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including charlotte)
Shocky1
shelton mitchell is an elite 4 star lefty pg (top 75 player in the 2014 class) that stands 6'3"+ barefoot & 180 lbs that defends & is a playmaker in the j kidd style

shelton, his sister, mom april & dad malik lived in vancouver, washington & portland, oregon before moving to charlotte, north carolina when shelton was 13

as an 8th grader, mitchell played varsity ball at covenant day

cuthbertson hs hc mike helms said "shelton is the hardest working kid i've ever coached" referring to mitchell's daily grind of waking up at 5:45 am & practicing his shooting until school started in the morning

despite actionable offers from arizona, illinois, connecticut, tennessee (cuonzo & staff) & other national powers, mitchell ended his recruitment during his jr season with a commitment to wake forest

shelton attended the famed oak hill academy for his sr season & suffered a torn acl which sidelined him for 2 months

mitchell made a decommitment from wake forest when hc jeff bzdelik was fired with the stipulation that he could not sign with an acc school which eliminates north carolina & duke for the strong student athlete

shelton graduates from oak hill on may 17th & will then visit missouri (the next day), cal on may 19-20th & then vanderbilt (another yanni recruit, they're everywhere)

shelton's intent is to attend the 1st session of the selected college's summer school

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

spoke with mike helms, shelton mitchell's hs bb coach (until mitchell attended the oak hill academy for his sr yr) at cuthbertson hs (north carolina)

helms told me that shelton is an "exceptional young man" with the "highest work ethic of any player" he's ever coached...mike believes that mitchell has a very high ceiling & that he will fully realize his potential due to his coachability & work ethic

helms says mitchell while at cuthbertson would regularly work out 4 times a day: arriving at 6:00 am with the custodian letting him into the gym for his private shooting drills, a 6:30 work out with the team until 7:30 am...practice after school, then going home, doing homework & dinner and later an evening workout

helms describes the shelton family as supportive but not overly involved...dad played ball in college & knows the game

defensively mitchell uses his length & tenacity to hound opposing pgs

offensively he is unselfish with exceptional court vision & a reliable floater in the lane...he shot 35% on 3 pters as a jr...helms told me that mitchell has shortened up his stroke at oak hill which will improve his accuracy & that shelton wanted to show him his "new" stroke 2 weeks ago when he visited charlotte

academically, helms told me that shelton is "a good student but could always do better" & that the smaller class sizes & strong academics at the oak hill academy will prepare mitchell for the transition to college
Shocky1
welcome stephen domingo and his parents kirsten bibbins-domingo & patrick domingo to the cal family

at a late in the season meb fund breakfast (i did not attend but other meb guys kept me updated) mike montgomery indicated that stephen domingo was an identified transfer prospect & that jakob poeltl was basically a silent commit (still needed to complete the necessary cal international student application process)

domingo was rated as a top 30 prospect & had actionable offers from arizona, louisville, harvard (yanni), stanford, etc. after blowing up in summertime aau ball...his blue chip offer lists suggests elite potential talent & skillsets

the family's decision to forego their only child's sr yr of hs to enroll at georgetown surprised the st ignatius staff as they were not consulted & there were questions re: how he could matriculate in college after 3 yrs in hs

the 6'6" domingo played hs ball at 190 & is now 206 lbs but still needs significant s&c strength to play in cuonzo martin's up tempo intense d/rebounding system

stephen is considered a likeable high character young man who was successful in hs speech contests & also earned a 3.4 gpa at the academically rigorous si

domingo is a pure scorer & will benefit from the blueshirt yr in building up his body, restoring his shooting confidence & practicing in a team concept (he focused more on aau ball than hs ball & then didn't play much at georgetown)

stephen is finishing up his coursework in washington, d.c. & will then arrive home this summer to begin the transition of becoming the bear's newest player

yeah, the san francisco native will also get more of mom's home cooking too

city by the bay#

"georgetown was just not the right basketball opportunity for me...i'm going forward and cal will be a place i can flourish and show what i can do...coach martin said i'll be able to use my length and athleticism on the defensive end and i can be a matchup problem on offense"

-stephen domingo

"we're very excited to have stephen come home and join our basketball family...stephen has the skill and length to be a good all around player at both ends of the floor"

-cuonzo martin

Shocky1
missouri hc kim anderson blinks 1st

mizzou is gonna hedge their bets in the shelton mitchell recruiting sweepstakes by accepting a commitment from cocky graduate transfer pg keith shamburger

shamburger averaged a productive 9.3 ppg & 5.4 apg last season at hawaii while running the show

the confident shamburger (basically a cheeseburger w/o the monterey jack at whataburger) explains the mizzou staff's reasoning for recruiting him to be next season's starting pg as follows:

"mizzou is the school that i felt the most connection with and i'm going to get a good opportunity there...i'm going to try to lead as much as i can and help other players get better...i've always been a leader wherever i've been...i plan on being a leader there and just help people as much as i can...i can get assists and i'll score when i need too"

9 "i"s in one paragraph

wow

no wonder kim anderson luvs keith shamburger

hold the ketchup#
Shocky1
who is arguably the best hs defender in nor cal despite being only 15 yrs old?

solomon young, 2016 big 3/small 4 from sacramento hs (kevin johnson, cal all american, nba all star & current mayor of sacramento) missed part of this season with a torn mcl to his left knee

solomon young is a protypical cuanzo martin recruit with his rugged style of play & elite strength (dude is a soph in hs but has the build of a high d1 player already)...young plays hard azz d & can knock down open 3 pters

expect the bears staff to make the short drive to sacramento to heavily target solomon young & christian terrell and keep a close eye on tre finch

check out kevin mccarthy's always informative nor cal bb blog for an impressive solomon young (#33) video
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/

the university of california , berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)
HoopDreams
Hail to the King

Shocky1
ahmaad rorie has indicated he will make his college selection this weekend

*washington: has a relationship with lorenzo romar but does he want to back up nigel williams-goss the next 1-2 yrs & then compete with his cousin david crisp (which would be very uncomfortable) & jahmel tayor for the huskys' starting pg position?...if robert upshaw does not suit up next season & washington loses 20+ games thereby missing the ncca tnt for the 4th straight yr, will romar be retained given the financial pressures upon the ad by the renovation of the football stadium?...average school academically for the exceptional/classroom motivated ahmaad (3.6 gpa)

*washington state: ernie kent has explained that the cougs starting pg position is wide open with returner ike iroegbu coming off an unproductive freshman season & lightly recruited tramaine isabell the competitors...does ahmaad want to live in the non urban palouse?...below average school academically but definitely better than a ged

*oregon state: will the beavs hire damon stoudamire as the hc & then travis decuire as the associate hc?...can ahmaad beat out jc all american gary payton jr?...does ahmaad want to live in non urban corvallis?...below average school academically but definitely better than a ged

*wichita state: last minute offer from the kansas mid major powerhouse...everyone wants to be a shocker, right?

*cal: will shelton mitchell make a geography (vanderbilt is within driving distance of his family's home in charlotte) or a basketball/academic decision?...ahmaad still lists himself as a cal commit on his twitter page

as the world turns#
50 yr decision#
south bender
How can he still be a Cal commit on Twitter (other than through not updating correctly) when Moraga Bear has said that his parting with Cal and Martin was a mutual decision?

Or do I simply (as Roger Clemens so eloquently put it) misremember?

Go Bears!
Shocky1
http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Cal-s-Cuonzo-Martin-gets-rave-reviews-from-former-5472647.php

Shocky1
that would be cal standout qb, aaron rodgers, 3.6 gpa/1300 sat

the green bay packers & rodgers agreed on a 5 yr $110m contract extension making aaron the highest paid per season player in nfl history

cal ain't the easiest school around but there are serious reward$ for those willing to take on the challenge

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including wisconsin)

calumnus
south bender;842315820 said:

How can he still be a Cal commit on Twitter (other than through not updating correctly) when Moraga Bear has said that his parting with Cal and Martin was a mutual decision?

Or do I simply (as Roger Clemens so eloquently put it) misremember?

Go Bears!

My understanding from the articles is the releasing from his LOI is the "mutual" part. That allows him to "play the field" and see what else is out there, but Cal/Cuonzo still has a scholarship available for him? Thus he can still call himself a Cal verbal "commit" even though that is non-binding on all parties. I think he is still considering, maybe even leaning toward, Cal, and I don't think we have stopped recruiting him, but we are looking at other PGs too.
CalAlumnus13
Shocky1;842315923 said:

that would be cal standout qb, aaron rodgers, 3.6 gpa/1300 sat

the green bay packers & rodgers agreed on a 5 yr $110m contract extension making aaron the highest paid per season player in nfl history

cal ain't the easiest school around but there are serious reward$ for those willing to take on the challenge

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including wisconsin)

Someone posted this on the FB forum. He's not doing too bad in the lady department, either...

Shocky1
cal has spent the last week working to put together a financially attractive compensation package for 30+ yr old recruiting superstar yanni hufnagel

if this comes to fruition, will be interested in the feedback from sam singer (who turned down a harvard offer for cal)

a cal bb staff with 4 relentless recruiters?

this **** is getting live

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/yanni_hufnagel_846621.html

"yanni's strong passion for the game has correlated to success wherever he has been...we share the same goal in developing champions on the basketball court, in the classroom and in the community...i am thrilled for the opportunity to have yanni join the staff here at cal"

-cuonzo martin
Shocky1
what up with former cal standout qb, aaron rodgers, 3.6 gpa/1300 sat?

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including chico & wisconsin)

cal ain't the easiest school around but there are significant benefit$ in life for those willing to take on the challenge

don't be a dumb azz#
SFBearz
PG Tramaine Isabell asked for and received his release from Wash St. clearing a path for Rorie to start next year, but I suspect one of these two will end up at UW.
BC Calfan
Hold your proverbial horses, saw a tweet that decuire is now a candidate for Corvallis.
Shocky1
who is isabell?...is that the name of your golden retriever?

if you're talking about wsu's starting pg last season that would be ike iroegbu...consider these stats:

5.5 ppg with an abysmal fg shooting % of .357
45 assists to 41 turnovers & 40 personal fouls

can almost guarantee you that ernie kent would start ahmaad rorie over ike irogbu next season as the cougs pg

there is zero chance that ahmaad is gonna beat out nigel williams-goss at washington & there's no guarantee that he could beat out his cousin david crisp who is quicker than him in future yrs

ahmaad's best opportunity for pt is vs a relatively inexperienced sam singer as cal's starting pg next season

roll over, isabell, that's a good girl...

ahmaad ain't a dog#
50 yr decision#

tramaine isabell has been given a release from his wsu loi as it has become obvious to ernie kent & the cougs staff that tramaine will not academically qualify for wsu, the harvard of the palouse

isabell is in the dog house for failing to do hs homework

of course, sfbearz already knew that
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crazy+gnarls+barkeley+concert+video&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=590C610B44EFE32503DE590C610B44EFE32503DE
SFBearz
Shocky1;842316284 said:

who is isabell?...is that the name of your golden retriever?

if you're talking about wsu's starting pg last season that would be ike iroegbu...consider these stats:

5.5 ppg with an abysmal fg shooting % of .357
45 assists to 41 turnovers & 40 personal fouls

can almost guarantee you that ernie kent would start ahmaad rorie over ike irogbu next season as the cougs pg

there is zero chance that ahmaad is gonna beat out nigel williams-goss at washington & there's no guarantee that he could beat out his cousin david crisp who is quicker than him in future yrs

ahmaad's best opportunity for pt is vs a relatively inexperienced sam singer as cal's starting pg next season

roll over, isabell, that's a good girl...

ahmaad ain't a dog#
50 yr decision#

tramaine isabell has been given a release from his wsu loi as it has become obvious to ernie kent & the cougs staff that tramaine will not academically qualify for wsu, the harvard of the palouse

isabell is in the dog house for failing to do hs homework

of course, sfbearz already knew that
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crazy+gnarls+barkeley+concert+video&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=590C610B44EFE32503DE590C610B44EFE32503DE

I see you've finally done a little research....but only a little....
SFBearz
BC Calfan;842316274 said:

Hold your proverbial horses, saw a tweet that decuire is now a candidate for Corvallis.

Yes, so is Musselman apparently. I'd hire either over Stoudamire.
Shocky1
final examinations at the #1 ranked public university in the world are an undeniable pain in the azz

finish strong, iron man#
don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1

after a rocky start to the brooklyn season, hc jason kidd led the nets to the eastern conference semifinals

the bear would not quit, the bear would not die#
Shocky1
cuanzo martin & staff have extended an actionable offer to brandon chauca, a 5'9" 150 lbs pg

please note that this foto does not depict brandon's actual size

brandon is from greenville, south carolina & played this season at the 22 feet academy

chauca missed half of this season with mono & is only now getting his health back together after blowing up at the pittsburgh jam fest april 25-27 with several electrifying 3 pt shooting performances

dude is a lefty & has former pac 12 mvp jerome "rome around the world" nba range

brandon is visiting ernie kent & washington state this weekend with virginia tech (visited unofficially last weekend but did not meet hc buzz williams) & missouri also in the running

cal monsters come in all sizes

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 rated public university in the world (south carolina)
manus
Chauca's a lefty. Mitchell's a lefty. Hm-m-m-mmm.
Shocky1
cal's dip in the mens bb apr from a solid 955 to a mediocre 939 reflects the classroom efforts of the 2012-2103 team

adios kaileb rodriguez

no more dumb azzs#
south bender
Shocky1;842316889 said:

cal's dip in the mens bb apr from a solid 955 to a mediocre 939 reflects the classroom efforts of the 2012-2103 team

adios kaileb rodriguez

no more dumb azzs#

Are you saying everyone else was fine and the dip came from K alone?

Go Bears!
Shocky1
mitchell's current plan is to visit missouri on may 18/19, then vanderbilt may 20/21 with a final decision on thursday may 22

as the world turns#
Shocky1
ahmaad rorie has indicated he will make his college selection this weekend

*washington: has a relationship with lorenzo romar but does he want to back up nigel williams-goss the next 1-2 yrs & then compete with his cousin david crisp (which would be very uncomfortable) & jahmel tayor for the huskys' starting pg position?...if robert upshaw does not suit up next season & washington loses 20+ games thereby missing the ncca tnt for the 4th straight yr, will romar be retained given the financial pressures upon the ad by the renovation of the football stadium?...average school academically for the exceptional/classroom motivated ahmaad (3.6 gpa)

*washington state: ernie kent has explained that the cougs starting pg position is wide open with returner ike iroegbu coming off an unproductive freshman season & lightly recruited tramaine isabell the competitors...does ahmaad want to live in the non urban palouse?...below average school academically but definitely better than a ged

*oregon state: will the beavs hire damon stoudamire as the hc & then travis decuire as the associate hc?...can ahmaad beat out jc all american gary payton jr?...does ahmaad want to live in non urban corvallis?...below average school academically but definitely better than a san quentin education

*wichita state: last minute offer from the kansas mid major powerhouse...everyone wants to be a shocker, right?

*cal: ahmaad still lists himself as a cal commit on his twitter page

as the world turns#
50 yr decision#

update:

*missouri: last minute offer...mizzou now has pg offers out to shelton mitchell, brandon chauca & ahmaad rorie...hc kim anderson's 2014 scholly offers & commits will determine whether there will be an available scholly for ricky kreklow (graduating from cal this summer) next season

*washington state: tramaine isabell released from his loi because of academic ineligibility issues

*oregon state: has named doug stewart the interim hc which basically means that 2014 recruiting is gonna be trashed...td is interviewing & considered a candidate for both the hc & associate hc positions

national 2014 pg wild recruiting scramble#
manus
Shocky1;842316916 said:

mitchell's current plan is to visit missouri on may 18/19, then vanderbilt may 20/21 with a final decision on thursday may 22

as the world turns#

So, it's down to a two way race for the kid?
Shocky1
south bender;842316893 said:

Are you saying everyone else was fine and the dip came from K alone?

Go Bears!

apr is calculated for each scholarship player with one pt earned for staying eligible & one pt earned for progressing toward graduation per semester

other than kaileb rodriguez, who was asked to leave the cal bb program & then attended sheridan jc in wyoming with cj box/joe pickett & will be attending nevada reno next season, the 2012 cal bb team got it done in the berkeley classrooms

alan crabbe told me at the oak airport last fall that he did the right thing & returned to berkeley to correctly withdraw from school last spring to focus upon the nba workouts/combines thereby protecting the program's apr

with respects to the 2013 apr, it still is not clear to me if both justin cobbs & richard solomon also correctly withdrew (vs failing their classes) from cal...both left berkeley shortly after the smu game in dallas to focus upon their professional bb careers & neither will be graduating this spring despite being on track to do so

50 yr decisions#
Shocky1
cuanzo martin & staff have extended an actionable offer to brandon chauca, a 5'9" 150 lbs pg

brandon is from greenville, south carolina & played this season at the 22 feet academy

chauca missed half of this season with mono & is only now getting his health back together after blowing up at the pittsburgh jam fest april 25-27 with several electrifying 3 pt shooting performances

dude is a lefty & has former pac 12 mvp jerome "rome around the world" nba range

brandon is visiting ernie kent & washington state this weekend with virginia tech (visited unofficially last weekend but did not meet hc buzz williams) & missouri also in the running

23.1 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.1 rpg, 3.7 spg, 90% fts, 64% fgs& 49% 3 pters

wow, even snoop dogg is impressed
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=californai+girls+katie+perry&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=9DD8B81467FCB5EF40F09DD8B81467FCB5EF40F0
SFBearz
Shocky1;842317163 said:

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 rated public university in the world (including south carolina)

23.1 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.1 rpg, 3.7 spg, 90% fts, 64% fgs& 49% 3 pters

wow, even snoop dogg is impressed
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=californai+girls+katie+perry&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=9DD8B81467FCB5EF40F09DD8B81467FCB5EF40F0

Missouri is not in the running. He cancelled his visit there after they took a transfer. It's between Wazzou and Cal.
Vandalus
SFBearz;842317244 said:

Missouri is not in the running. He cancelled his visit there after they took a transfer. It's between Wazzou and Cal.

Hopefully academics can be a positive here. I like this kid's game.
Shocky1

go cougs#

washington state university=#1 ranked public university in the world for mid mgmt fertilizer salespeople recovering from aa related issues
Shocky1
yoga girl

cougin it#
adios pullman#
manus
WSU: a bit out of the way, but a good school.
First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.