cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,278,782 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842271550 said:

congratulations to:

*****mike montgomery
*****travis decuire
*****gregg gottlieb
*****john montgomery
*****theo robertson
*****jay john
*****cal academic tutors

for successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool as evidenced by the bb team's recent apr of 955...with the current roster of true student athletes, this # is likely to escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (honorary team member/current playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln & montverde academy
idrissa diallo-3.4 gpa@cathedral

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

if anyone can document a d1 bb program (other than the programs listed above) that has student athletes as academically gifted as cal, i will donate $10,000 to a university of california (berkeley) educational scholarship program of their choice in their name

#50 yr decision

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate instituions of higher learning with an academic purpose

OFFICIAL LIST OF RULES:

contestants must post the gpas & corresponding evidence on this thread...such official applications will be judged by my fashionista teenage daughters shay & taylor who are esteemed experts on all matters of gpas & academics...submissions will be evaluated based on accuracy, authenticity & documentation...irregular rules & regulations may apply...colleges with lame mascots may potentially not be considered...the judges decisions will be final & there will be no appeals...a final evaluation of all applications will be made public on this thread no later than friday, january 31 by 8:00 pm east coast time

please be notified that due to the judges apparent inability to balance cheerleading, academic obligations & their busy social calendars, the final evaluation of all applications we now be made public no later than monday, february 3, by 8:00 pm east coast time...no additional extensions will be tolerated without extreme consequences such as the temporary loss of personal cell phones

thank you
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842230234 said:

J Bird stays local, allowing his family and friends to enjoy his college journey

Here's his parents watching their son...

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="7"][FONT="Arial Black"]Represent the Bay[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

45 minutes after the asu game, the cleaning crew is systematically working the aisles preparing haas for the next event while i'm talking to smokeyrover

kameron rooks is talking up an attractive girl near the cal bench, jeff powers is walking across the court with his mom & friends, and jabari bird is lounging on the 1st row of the bleachers underneath the cal basket with his family

cal's renowned body language experts will be interested to know that jabari's mom tonya touches her son's shoulders when she talks to him, dad carl uses his hands a lot when he explains something, jb's cute sister with the large cal sweatshirt laughs a lot and jabari is smiling as he is the center of his universe, his family

at the cal tweet up (with jordan mathews, theo robertson, john montgomery & jb) after the washington state game which was well attended by young cal fans, jabari is both humble (in almost a shy sort of way) & articulate

jabari tells the group about his favorite classes at cal, his favorite food places in berkeley, how close he is to his teammates particularly the monster class (they also call themselves "the fab five,") and that "coach is chill"...it is clear to everyone that jabari is truly enjoying the cal experience

most impressively, when asked what his favorite thing is about cal, jabari draws a large laugh & head nods from the audience when he says that "my parents don't have to pay for my college education"...this says so much about his character, what kind of young man thinks about his parents & their sacrifices?

jabari bird is a tremendous athlete but more importantly he is a good person that loves his family & teammates...the basketball court does not define jabari bird

cal family#
after hours#
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842273555 said:

45 minutes after the asu game, the cleaning crew is systematically working the aisles preparing haas for the next event while i'm talking to smokeyrover

kameron rooks is talking up an attractive girl near the cal bench, jeff powers is walking across the court with his mom & friends, and jabari bird is lounging on the 1st row of the bleachers underneath the cal basket with his family

cal's renowned body language experts will be interested to know that jabari's mom tonya touches her son's shoulders when she talks to him, dad carl uses his hands a lot when he explains something, jb's cute sister with the large cal sweatshirt laughs a lot and jabari is smiling as he is the center of his universe, his family

at the cal tweet up (with jordan mathews, theo robertson, john montgomery & jb) after the washington state game which was well attended by young cal fans, jabari is both humble (in almost a shy sort of way) & articulate

jabari tells the group about his favorite classes at cal, his favorite food places in berkeley, how close he is to his teammates particularly the monster class (they also call themselves "the fab five,") and that "coach is chill"...it is clear to everyone that jabari is truly enjoying the cal experience

most impressively, when asked what his favorite thing is about cal, jabari draws a large laugh & head nods from the audience when he says that "my parents don't have to pay for my college education"...this says so much about his character, what kind of young man thinks about his parents & their sacrifices?

jabari bird is a tremendous athlete but more importantly he is a good person that loves his family & teammates...the basketball court does not define jabari bird

cal family#
after hours#

Absolutely great to hear. Thanks so much for sharing shocky.
south bender
Your posts of this nature more than balance the insanity (or is it inanity?) of the golf stuff.

I really appreciate these kinds of posts about our players, Shocky.

Great going.

Go Bears!
OdontoBear66
south bender;842273637 said:

Your posts of this nature more than balance the insanity (or is it inanity?) of the golf stuff.

I really appreciate these kinds of posts about our players, Shocky.

Great going.

Go Bears!

Bender, if you enjoy the game of golf, the shockster is equally great there. Don
't know what to say, but I can understand how some find him elitist, but that is a Cal board. He knows his golf, he knows his courses, and for those who care he has experienced most people's dreams.

If I had to, I could do without the golf speak (although I hope it doesn't go away), for I love the insight on players, games, experiences with Cal BB at home and away that I do not get anywhere else.
Shocky1
christian terrell (2016) scored 25 pts including a sizzling 5-9 3 pters & 3 assists, 4 steals + 3 blocks as the sacramento dragons (18-3) smoked the burbank "not to be remembered" titans 81-77

terrell has been offered by usc, washington and yesterday, gonzaga

but guess what?

christian has described cal as his "dream school"

sacramento mayor/former nba all star/bears starting pg kevin johnson would agree with that assessment

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

Shocky1

Shocky1;842242686 said:

marinating with a chassie

his grandmother

tickling aaron rodgers' moustache

beast mode runs

cal family#
bay areas finest#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oaktown)

marshawn ain't got no time for the dumb azz media & their questions

best quote from yesterday: "i don't run to get tackled"

problem ain't marshawn, the nfl just needs better reporters

check out the beast mode interview with deion sanders:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000319056/Lynch-I-m-just-about-that-action
Shocky1
there are probably some recruits & their families who are wondering: how did the beast mode stay eligible at the #1 public university in the world?

answer: despite an abysmal 2.5 gpa at oakland tech, lynch entered cal with a commitment to work harder in the classroom

so marshawn listened to his tutors & academic advisors, he attended his classes & usually sat in the 1st row, he actively participated in tutoring sessions without anybody having to track him down

result: marshawn was academically eligible all 3 yrs at cal before he entered the nfl draft

the university of california, berkeley is perhaps the most diverse university on this planet & there is always room for aspiring student athletes with a sincere interest in pursuing their dreams

but you gotta work hard, there is no room for lazy dumb azz ballers
Shocky1

california golden bears welcome the #1 ranked arizona wildcats fans from charming tuscon to the cosmopolitan bay area for tonight's game

Shocky1
Shocky1;842273162 said:

bubba watson isn't my favorite golfer this month...not even close

received an email from my new buddy bubba watson who would like to meet up with me again today or tomorrow (before the phx open starts thurs at the tpc scottsdale) at the practice range ("inside the ropes") and/or a quick lunch at the clubhouse

since bubba told me he's never had a golf lesson in his life, it's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to hang with me for my analysis of his swing

most likely bubba realizes he lost the trash talking contest with me last time & now has some well rehearsed & snarky comments about guys who do yoga & cal grads being hippies

bring it on

the shockster was wrong

met with bubba watson earlier this week inside the ropes at the practice facility at the tpc scottsdale & we did not trash talk at all (almost)...he did ask me if you need a square head in order to do a headstand (apparently bubba does not know any guys that can do a headstand, remember he's from the south and all)

we talked about family stuff & nutrition and he signed a bunch of stuff for my princesses hs's next charity fundraiser

bubba promised me (i can be relentlessly persuasive) that if he wins the phx open this week he will say "go bears" during the congratulatory interview on the 18th green in front of a billion tv viewers before the networks switch over to the super bowl

bubba is tied for 1st place after the opening round with a 7 under par 64 which included a birdie 2 at the raucous partytown par 3 stadium 16th hole

go bears#

Hi Bears Fans!!!

Mom told us to tell you that the real reason that Bubba Watson wanted to meet with Dad was because he wants him to help him with his charity which Dad agreed to do.

Dad likes to pretend he trash talks all day but he really doesn't although he does tell us and our friends all the time in a weird and encouraging way not to be lazy dumb azzs.

When Dad asks about our GPAs all the time, we just ask him why he was waitlisted and eventually rejected at Harvard.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of love,

Shay & Tay
Shocky1
Shocky1;842257782 said:

check out the seriously unhappy dude with his hands on his head in the ugly yellow shirt in the upper left center of the photo

fun times for mr black jacket in the center of the photo who's about to hurl into his right hand

also gotta love the cute brunette duck cheerleader pumping her pom poms in support of justin cobb's ice in his veins buzzer beating game winner...i dunno maybe she's just smiling cuz she's checking out david kravish's package (real talk, that's how the real world works, hot girls from dumb azz schools try to date & marry cal guys when they leave school, cal grads hold all the cards)

view to a kill#
this is cal basketball#

justin cobbs=ice in his veins

this **** is getting live

Shocky1
original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, christian "fast & furious" behrens, tyrone "the grind" wallace, justin "ice in his veins" cobbs , richard "the time is now" solomon & david "what not to wear" kravish

if christian behrens doesn't take the monster block, then the dump off dunk by aaron gordon counts & the cats go up by for 4 & the game changes

even rhianna loves monsters
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rhianna+and+enimenem+monster+song&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842234561 said:

alex illikainen of grand rapids minnesota (not michigan) is a fiercely competitive (sound familiar?) 6'9" 210 lbs 2015 big man with a 3.5 gpa...alex is aware of cal's reputation as the #1 public university in the world

gregg gottlieb offered illikainen this july to go along with his more than dozen offers including midwest powers indiana, minnesota, creighton & nebraska

alex has 3 ice hockey playing sisters with 2 playing collegiately at dartmouth & providence so there's a family track record of going away for better academic opportunities

the key in the bears recruitment will the coordination of a visit for the illikainen's family to the san francisco bay area

and maybe meet alex's older brother, david kravish...

deja vu all over again=bear territory

cal family#
minnesota winters are cold azz#
minnesota summers are nasty humid with mosquitos#
california dreamin'#

alex illikainen will be officially visiting cal this weekend along with a # of key cal prospects unofficially visiting for sat's arizona game

welcome to the bay area, alex

alex, what did you think of the cal coaching staff's utilization of david kravish as a forward facing 4?...kravish finished with 14 pts on 7-16 fgs, 11 boards, 4 assists & 4 redunkulous blocks (including the game winning d stand wildcat rejection letter)...btw, kravish is also pre med & a true student athlete

do you want to wear shorts all winter, build 50 yr friendships with fun & high character teammates & be coached up by gregg gottlieb at the #1 public university in the world?

unofficial visits tonite to the bears' epic win included moreau catholic's dynamic duo of damari milstead (2017) & oscar frayer (2016) and also chance comanche, a top 50 2015 recruit from view park (los angeles) who is visiting with his mom melissa mcgee, a former all american at long beach state

cal family#
Shocky1

2015's #1 ranked player ivan rabb scored 31 pts including 13-17 fgs + 5-6 fts along with 9 boards, 5 blocks, 2 assists & 1 steal & lockdown d on michigan commit dj wilson as bod kicked the capital christian cougs to the curb 86-60 at haas in front of mike & john montgomery along with theo robertson...travis decuire scouted ivan on friday nite at berkeley hs

as has been stated here for more than a yr, ivan is a mama's boy like many of the current bears particularly pac 12 mvp candidate justin cobbs, ahmaad rorie & the shockster...the happiest & often most successful guys in the world are those with close loving relationships with their mothers...hey, you only get 1 mom in your life, celebrate your time with her

cal family#
seasons in the sun#

ivan rabb scored 24 pts as bod (15-4) went on the road to fireball sacramento (18-4) with christian terrell limited to 10 pts by a final of 103-66

ivan tweeted his 12 college finalists: "arizona, cal, ucla, duke, georgetown, kansas, kentucky, louisville, unc, north carolina state, ohio state, usc"

former bod star brandon ashley's season ending broken foot tonite is yet another sobering reminder that basketball is a physical & sometimes violent game...in a split second, your career can be over in a flash of an eye...bam, your bb career is done & you have to move forward doing something else to achieve your dreams in life

if you want to be a night shift boarder control agent in nogales, arizona is a great choice

if you want to be a wildly successful real estate magnate in the bay area, cal is a great choice

50 yr decision#
tower of power#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public university in the world (including the border towns of el paso, tuscon & nogales)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842168578 said:

name the player that finished in the top 10 of 2012 pac 12 total blocked shots that had the least number of turnovers last season?

that would be doc kravish...dk finished #5 in the pac 12 with an impressive 56 rejected shots coupled with only 32 turnovers

to put that in perspective, the top 2 guys in 2012 pac 12 blocked shots bachynski of asu & moreland of osu had 63 & 64 turnovers

david kravish=way smarter than your average bear

david kravish is 4th (richard solomon is 6th) in the pac 12 in blocked shots this season but nobody had a more timely & critical one than doc's rejection letter to arizona during cal's final d stand

get that **** out of here#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842248331 said:

during halftime of the santa barbara game i introduced myself to solo's dad, richard jr... he is a very enthusiastic, good guy who along with his wife sheryl are very proud of their son's achievements...richard jr. told me that solo has less than 15 units remaining to earn his cal degree & that he's very hopeful the final classes will be completed this spring semester while juggling both nba combines/workouts with graduation...solo's sister am're is also a cal grad & a professional volleyball player

i asked richard jr re: the roots of solo's preference for offensively playing on the perimeter during his first 3 yrs in berkeley...he asked me "do you really want to know the truth?'...i said "yes" and he told me that "the truth is that richard is an excellent outside shooter" & that he's a "stretch 4"

this week i visited with a nba front office executive & asked him for his thoughts...i also mentioned that solo showed the best footwork of his career down low this past sat (imo his syracuse ncaa breakout game last season was more about relentless rebounding & fiery finishing than crafty footwork)...he chuckled (which is his way of letting me know that i'm a dumb azz), pressed a few buttons, printed out & showed me a scouting report for the fresno state game asking me with a grin, "is this the game you're talking about?"

the nba is a billion dollar biz with virtually unlimited dollars spent on scouting prospects...the in depth detail of the evaluation process & cross checking is truly mind boggling...every time solo snares an offensive rebound or receives an entry pass under the basket and then takes a fadeaway shot, his nba stock goes down...his outside shooting is considered "average"

how well do nba stretch 4s shoot the ball?

dirk nowitzki is a .878 career nba ft shooter & cal's ryan anderson is a .859 career nba ft shooter...richard solomon is a .581 career collegiate ft shooter...a ft is an unguarded open 15 ft shot...solo is "30 basis points" behind nba pure shooters who are stretch 4s

i asked if it is possible that any team might consider solomon a stretch 4

he said "no"

my point is that as parents the worst thing we can do is not 100% support our children's dreams & visions...at the same time there needs to be a very fine balance with real talk too

cal family#
they might be giants#
get paid#

pictured above: the $ move

richard solomon is leading the pac 12 in rebounding (david kravish is #8) & is the only player in the conference with a double digit rebounding average...not bad for a guy who wasted almost 3 yrs of his collegiate career practicing 20 footers during workouts, practices & pregrame warmups instead of interior power post moves (it's ok to screw up in life as long as we learn from those mistakes)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/21/stat/rebounds/pac-12-conference

solo relentlessly worked his azz off this summer & his physical strength to go along with his nba caliber vj are the reasons for his continued development

imo one of the key factors in whether this season's bears will be a good (the team's current position) or great team is whether or not solomon will take the next steps to lead his team on the road

the next steps include relentlessly finishing around the basket thru contact (stefan nastic of stanford is 6'11", 245 lbs who averages only 2.7 rpg but is gonna iniate brute contact with solo to try to throw him off his game (foul trouble) & maintaining a positive demeanor throughout the game (solo's whining to the refs demoralizes his teammates particularly the younger guys, energizes his opponents who then think he's their candy azz bitch & lowers his nba scouting evaluations for being mentally weak)

if solo can finish 8-10 dunks with fired up monster screams, the bears will be great

rich, your time is NOW...it's really that simple

cal family#
the fast & furious#

heading into galen center for the usc game, i bumped into bearents richard jr & sheryl solomon

after introducing myself, rich's dad says "i know who you are, we've talked before"

ruh roh

i apologized for quoting him during our santa barbara game discussion

richard jr says "no problem" & sheryl smiles at me and says hello

richard solomon is very fortunate to have such loving & supportive parents

solo is one of a handful of d1 players (including kentucky's julius randle) with double digit averages for both points & rebounds...there were 20+ nba scouts at haas last nite who noted rich's dominating play in the 1st half

but more importantly, solo is a great teammate:

"it's a team game...i can't be worried about what happens to me...if i'm not in the game, then the best thing i can do is cheer my teammates on and make sure everyone is tuned into the game and just provide that energy off the bench"

a season of discovery#

petalumabear
Shocky1;842274333 said:

alex illikainen will be officially visiting cal this weekend along with a # of nor cal prospects unofficially visiting for sat's arizona game

welcome to the bay area, alex

alex, what did you think of the cal coaching staff's utilization of david kravish as a forward facing 4?...kravish finished with 14 pts on 7-16 fgs, 11 boards, 4 assists & 4 redunkulous blocks (including the game winning d stand wildcat rejection letter)...btw, kravish is also pre med & a true student athlete

do you want to wear shorts all winter, build 50 yr friendships with your fun & high character teammates & be coached up by gregg gottlieb at the #1 public university in the world?

unofficial visits tonite to the bears' epic win included moreau catholic's dynamic duo of damari milstead (2017) & oscar frayer (2016) and also chance comanche, a top 50 2015 recruit from view park (los angeles) who is visiting with his mom melissa mcgee, a former all american at long beach state

cal family#

Great game last night Shocky. The atmosphere was perfect for all of us long waiting Bears fans and had to blow the minds of the recruits who were there. We walked out with Sonny and the Missus, who was excitedly talking to my wife about the game, the atmosphere, the effort, concentration and heart displayed by the Bear hoopsters. Funny thing, she just thought she was speaking to a very nice gal who loved the game as much as she did. It was only later that I told her who she had been talking to. Sonny was replying to Cal fans who were saying Hi and encouraging him based on the game we'd all just watched. I told him we were behind him, hoping he'd finish recruiting strong, and be ready for ge next season. Interestingly, for as friendly as his wife was in the moment, Sonny gave the impression of wanting to run out of Haas but was slightly peeved at being held up by the throngs of excited and joyous Bear fans still in the moment.

When we entered Haas, we stopped to greet Ed Gordon - a friend I was with knows him - and followed Chance Comanche in along with other very tall young men. The future is so bright I've gotta wear shades!

Fantastic, memorable night. In the Monty era, its right there with the night Jorge blew up in front of us leading the Bears back against Stanfurd in Haas during his freshman year.
Shocky1
petalumabear;842274478 said:

Great game last night Shocky. The atmosphere was perfect for all of us long waiting Bears fans and had to blow the minds of the recruits who were there. We walked out with Sonny and the Missus, who was excitedly talking to my wife about the game, the atmosphere, the effort, concentration and heart displayed by the Bear hoopsters. Funny thing, she just thought she was speaking to a very nice gal who loved the game as much as she did. It was only later that I told her who she had been talking to. Sonny was replying to Cal fans who were saying Hi and encouraging him based on the game we'd all just watched. I told him we were behind him, hoping he'd finish recruiting strong, and be ready for ge next season. Interestingly, for as friendly as his wife was in the moment, Sonny gave the impression of wanting to run out of Haas but was slightly peeved at being held up by the throngs of excited and joyous Bear fans still in the moment.

When we entered Haas, we stopped to greet Ed Gordon - a friend I was with knows him - and followed Chance Comanche in along with other very tall young men. The future is so bright I've gotta wear shades!

Fantastic, memorable night. In the Monty era, its right there with the night Jorge blew up in front of us leading the Bears back against Stanfurd in Haas during his freshman year.

chance comanche in an elite 6'11" prospect at the 5 with offers from many of the collegiate powerhouses (athletically not academically)...will this be a pure bb or well rounded student athlete decision?

chance started receiving letters from the cal bb coaching staff while in the 9th grade & monty scouted comanche at one of his hs games during the bear's recent roadtrip to smogsville

chance's mom melissa mcgee was an all american at long beach state & understands the recruiting process and will help her son filter thru the barrage of promises from different bb coaches

s&c guru scott thom could be the x factor in chance's recruitment

Shocky1
cj anderson, denver broncos

brandon mebane, seattle seahawks

marshawn lynch, seattle seahawks

1 or 2 more california golden bears gonna be blinging super bowl rings tonite

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including seattle & denver)
cal football program=#5 ranked college with most current players in the nfl
Shocky1

Shocky1
one last look at the celebration before turning the page

beat stanford#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842274301 said:

original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, christian "fast & furious" behrens, tyrone "the grind" wallace, justin "ice in his veins" cobbs , richard "the time is now" solomon & david "what not to wear" kravish

if christian behrens doesn't take the monster block, then the dump off dunk by aaron gordon counts & the cats go up by for 4 & the game changes

even rhianna loves monsters
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rhianna+and+enimenem+monster+song&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD0D4FB569EF0D6849F9CD

this is cal basketball#

rhianna loves monsters

HoopDreams
The Cal Monster Class had a major role in rocking the #1 Arizona Wildcats.

Making the dream reality

socaltownie
That is a foul committed on Bird. They need to call that consistently (which they are not)
Shocky1
solomon young played relentless lockdown d (he is arguably the best young defender in nor cal) & scored 20 pts on 8-11 fgs + 4-5 fts & 3 blocks with only 1 to in playing half a game as the sacramento dragons (13-3) fireballed the valley vikings 87-32...teammates christian terrell dished out 9 assists + 3 steals & trey finch scored 13 pts

solomon young is out the rest of this season with a torn mcl to his left knee

this is an opportunity for solomon to focus upon s&c work & classwork (maximize your gpa)
Shocky1
CALiforniALUM;842271596 said:

I will submit the Bucknell Bisons Division I basketball team. According to the Bucknell Athletics Media Guide (Linked Below: Page 126 of 128) in the Spring of 2013 the Bucknell men's basketball team not only captured the Patriot League Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament, but the 15 student-athletes on the squad combined for a stellar 3.49 grade-point average. Led by guard Ryan Frazier, who has the team's highest cumulative GPA, nine Bison made the Dean's list with a GPA of at least 3.50 and a league-high 11 made the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll with a 3.2 or better.

http://issuu.com/bucknellathletics/d...5359963#search

http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArt...CLID=209035367

As far as the mascot goes, you can't get any more American than the bison, except for maybe the Bear. GO BEARS!

Runners up: American, Belmont, Denver, Eastern Washington, Indiana State, Kentucky, UL Monroe, Louisville, Mercer, Rice, South Dakota State, Southern Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah, Western Michigan, William & Mary and Youngstown State.

cal alum has submitted a proposal for the bucknell bison

us news ranks bucknell #32 among national liberal arts colleges

the average gpa for the 2016 class is 3.5 which is quite a bit less than the cal incoming gpa of 3.91 (and 3.77 transfers)

it should be noted that this proposal does not include the required hs gpas of the current bucknell bison bb team

cal alum makes a compelling argument that the documented team gpa of 3.49 suggests high academic standards & achievement

the judges are also applying bonus pts for the "very cool" bison & bear foto in the application
Shocky1
atoms;842271843 said:

Okay! Here's my submission, copied from the other thread:

[U]Northwestern Wildcats[/U]

Northwestern is a D-I program (like Cal, and unlike Bucknell or some of the other possible candidates, they're even in a power conference, the Big Ten!), it's not an ivy league school or service academy, and it's not Duke or Stanford. Here's their current roster:

G/F Sanjay Lumpkin(3.6 GPA @ Benilde St. Margaret's High honor roll student, National Honor Society member, Student Recognition Award winner)
F Nathan Taphorn (3.49 GPA @ Pekin)
F Aaron Liberman (3.4 GPA @ Valley Torah)
G Dave Sobolewski (Honor roll student, Named Chicago Tribune Scholar-Athlete, National Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society member @ Benet Academy. 4.3 GPA @ Benet Academy, 31 ACT score.)
C Alex Olah (His HS teammate at Traders Point was denied admission to Northwestern despite a 4.0 GPA, due to poor grades at his previous school in Croatia. Presumably Olah was doing well both in his native Romania and at Traders Point, where he was an honor roll student. Olah seems to be doing well at Northwestern)
G James Montgomery III (He was a walk-on, so he was admitted normally to NU. He is a mechanical engineering major)
G Tre Demps (National Honor Society member & All-Academic team honoree @ Ronald Reagan HS)
F Kale Abramson (Recipient of CIML basketball academic award all four years, Honor roll student @ Valley HS. Offers from schools like Boston College, Creighton, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, Wake Forest)
G JerShon Cobb Honor roll student @ Columbia HS
G/F Drew Crawford - 3.4 GPA as an economics major @ Northwestern, NCAA Academic All-American

I couldn't confirm a specific GPA for everyone, but I think you can see based on the GPAs of the guys I could find, and the fact that almost all of them are honor roll students in some way, that on average, they are at least as good in the classroom as our guys. None of the guys whose GPAs I could find, either from high school or at Northwestern, had a number below 3.4, which is pretty darn impressive.

Their mascot Willie the Wildcat sure seems to think it's worth around of applause:

Coincidentally, that number on his jersey reflects the number of trips Northwestern has had to the NCAA men's basketball tournament in its entire history. Thank goodness they're putting in the work in the classroom, because they'll probably be needing that degree for their day jobs.

Northwestern is also a serious and well-respected academic institution. They rank #12 on the USNWR university ranking (Cal, the top public university, is #20 because their system is biased toward private schools). Northwestern is #30 in this ranking and #22 in this one. Not too shabby. Certainly not comparable to a place like Kentucky or Arizona, which are full of what Shocky likes to call "dumb azz ballers"

atoms has submitted a proposal for the northwestern wildcats

us news ranks northwestern an impressive #12 among national universities

the average gpa for incoming northwestern students is 3.85 while accepting 26% of 25,013 students

atoms does an excellent job of selectively documenting the gpa & academic achievements of some but not all of the the bb team as required in the contest rules & regulations

the judges are applying some bonus pts for school colors being purple and also the "cheerful" mascot but i'm deducintg pts for the wildcats beating the bears in the fb season opener this yr at memorial
atoms
So... what's the verdict, then? Does that mean nobody wins?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842271550 said:

congratulations to:

*****mike montgomery
*****travis decuire
*****gregg gottlieb
*****john montgomery
*****theo robertson
*****jay john
*****cal academic tutors

for successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool as evidenced by the bb team's recent apr of 955...with the current roster of true student athletes, this # is likely to escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (honorary team member/current playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln & montverde academy
idrissa diallo-3.4 gpa@cathedral

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

if anyone can document a d1 bb program (other than the programs listed above) that has student athletes as academically gifted as cal, i will donate $10,000 to a university of california (berkeley) educational scholarship program of their choice in their name

#50 yr decision

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate instituions of higher learning with an academic purpose

OFFICIAL LIST OF RULES:

contestants must post the gpas & corresponding evidence on this thread...such official applications will be judged by my fashionista teenage daughters shay & taylor who are esteemed experts on all matters of gpas & academics...submissions will be evaluated based on accuracy, authenticity & documentation...irregular rules & regulations may apply...colleges with lame mascots may potentially not be considered...the judges decisions will be final & there will be no appeals...a final evaluation of all applications will be made public on this thread no later than friday, january 31 by 8:00 pm east coast time

OFFICIAL RESULTS:

while neither proposal from cal alum or atoms clearly fulfills the contest rules & regulations of listing every bb team member's hs gpa, there can be no doubt that both bucknell & northwestern have high academic achievement student athletes that might reasonably be considered comparable (but in a slightly lesser sort of way) to cal's current team

therefore, it is fully proclaimed that both cal alum & atoms are winners in every sense of the word...they are both truly masters of the universe & their names should be included among the brightest minds ever associated with the #1 ranked public university in the world along with bronze statues of them that should be erected at the front of sather gate

in recognition of my losing this contest, i therefore spoke with jay john this afternoon & have donated $10,000 usd to the "montgomery excellence in basketball fund" per the original terms of this contest...i specifically requested that the $ donated be utilized on hiring someone (like my favorite yoga teacher desiree, rihanna or beyonce) significantly more attractive than scott thom to stretech the bears before each game...i also requested that cal development intern allison stokke call me for my credit card information (if i have offended her with my earlier fotos of her as some have suggested here, this is gonna get real expensive when she starts shopping at prada with my card)

if atoms or cal alum would like to attend a cal game with me this season, please send me a private message & i'll check with jay john to see if he can't hook us up with floor seats or something...this offer also includes a soft drink & cheese slice with oregano at blondies prior to tip off

thank you
HoopDreams
Rorie must love the fact that Cal has [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]THREE Pac12 POY GUARDS[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Randle, Gutierrez, Crabbe

and that doesn't include Justin Cobbs, current Pac12 POW (2nd time this year)
Percy of the Seattle Times says Anderson, Carson and Cobbs are Pac-12 MVP candidates

Shocky1
ja, jakob poeltl (class of 2014) from austria will be officially visiting cal midweek for the stanford game

poeltl is 212 cms (7') & is 18 yrs old (11-15-95 dob in vienna) and plays for arkadia...this season in 15 games he is averaging 12.1 ppg with a high of 28 pts vs furstenfeld along with 7.5 rpg & 2.1 bpg

the true 5 is a highly efficient shooter with a soft touch & good shot selection as evidenced by his unreal 73.5% fgs...poeltl has made 2 of 4 3 pters & shoots a respectable 68.4% on fts

kudos to johnny montgomery for scouting poeltl who also has interest several schools nationally including pac 12 rivals arizona, utah & oregon...never underestimate the attraction of oregon's internationally well regarded truck stop mgmt program (and outplacement as a shift supervisor at the medford all nite truck stop)

jakob's development would be hastened by working with cal's s&c guru scott thom

the shockster is currently making inquiries with the austrian minister of education to ascertain jakob's gpa...stay tuned

bis bald jakob poeltl

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including austria)
HoopDreams
winning the Super Bowl qualifies Lynch and Mebane to get a special mention on the Monster thread...

Shocky1
Shocky1;842271589 said:

jb is receiving excellent medical treatment but it should be mentioned that his nurse wicked's left arm has some scary azz deal on it, who knows what's up with that...

unbreakable#

nurse wicked has cleared ricky kreklow for action

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842238174 said:

bears fans should check out sami eleraky running the court for justin labagh's rams this season:

http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/educational-programs/school-and-departments/school-of-health-and-physical-education/physical-education-and-dance/athletics/mens_basketball/schedule_and_results.html

labagh graduated from cal after playing with abdul shareef rahim & tony gonzalez, interned under bobby knight, recruits relentlessly during the off season (once told me that 20 of his wins each season take place on the recruiting trail), sends more guys to college with schollys than any other jc hc in california because of his emphasis upon academics & is the winningiest hc in college bb history at 87.6%

justin labagh=cal guy on a mission in life

cal family#

justin labagh, the winningiest hc in college bb history (should we set up another deal like the gpa contest to confirm this fact?), is leading his city college of san francisco's rams to 21 consecutive wins after losing their opener to yuba 81-78 (missing 18 fts) & running the tables in the competitive coast conference

the california jc state championship games will be played march 15-16 at cerritos jc

more importantly, labagh will be sending a minimum of 5 more guys to full schollys next yr...justin gets it

justin told me that he recruited pac 12 newcomer of the year delon wright thru his barber who is the same guy who was also styling then golden state warriors dorell wright's hair too...dorell is a a 10 yr nba veteran (now a teammate of alan crabbe with the portland trailblazers) & he hooked up labagh with his little bro from la

delon "played the same way at city college as he is now playing with utah" for ccsf & only had d1 offers (labeled as too skinny) from cal state bakersfield & cal state fullerton until labagh got him connected with utah...now delon is a legit nba early entrant prospect

for those of you wondering, no, delon academically was not a good fit for cal

go rams#
just say no to supercuts#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842244818 said:

sami eleraky's stats don't stand out in justin labagh's successful heavy rotation system that relentlessly breaks down opponents...for instance utah's standout newcomer delon wright ppg avg this season is 16.0, last season at ccsf his ppg avg was slightly under 10.0...don't get totally caught up in stats when evaluating ccsf players, ok?

denmark's eleraky is just a shade under 7" & can really run & jump along with a physical style of play...the physical skills are all there, he has a chance to be good if he can put it all together (which he hasn't done yet)...in that sense, sami eleraky's potential is a work in progress like kameron rooks

the bears staff is still evaluating eleraky & he is considered a cal lean if continues to improve & graduate from ccsf this spring

go rams#

the university of california's berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including aalborg & san francisco)

sami is averaging 5.9 boards per game but not much offensive production for justin labagh's #1 ranked ccsf (15-1) in their quest for another state championship
http://www.cccaastats.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/players/sammielerakyv02c?view=gamelog

it's important to have a lot of game to become a california golden bear

justin labagh told me that sami is continuing to develop & that he's becoming more aggressive in rebounding, averaging 2 blocks per game (and forcing opponents to adjust other shots) in conference play & shooting fts much better

eleraky's last game might have been his best performance with the rams...he scored 14 pts on 4-7 fgs & 6-7 fts along with 4 boards & 4 blocks as ccsf blew the doors off canada 134-90

gregg gottlieb will scout sami again in the near future
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.