cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,413 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
tenplay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am wondering why those who are unhappy with this thread don't start another one for miscellaneous comments re Cal basketball called "Cal Basketball 2014" or something similar. Just noticed that this thread started in September of 2012 (almost two years ago). No sense complaining when there is a simple alternative.
Shocky1
heading out to a late nite celebration dinner in a few minutes after playing this afternoon as a guest at the seaside kennemer golf club in holland thereby becoming the 1st person to successfully play the current planet golf world top 100 list (i had earlier played the golf magazine 2001 to 2013 world top 100 lists)
http://planetgolfusa.com/index.php?id=55

so we're walking along the canals by the hookers in the windows thru amsterdam's red light district last nite with the aroma of the coffee houses wafting thru the air & live band music blaring thru the open doors of bars when my teenage daughters shay & taylor both high five me with & tell me with mischievous smiles that i'm "the dad of the year"

oh well

just another cal grad finding his way in the world
socaltownie
Shocky1;842332670 said:

you mean like this one?

don't be a dumb azz#

OK. This is way OT but you DO realize, I hope as a dad, that 1) That the picture linked is NOT typical of the physic of 90 to 95% of women; 2) That a host of social ills, including eating disorders, sexual violence, workplace discrimination, just to name a few, have been conclusively shown to correlate (with all the caveats that correlation does not equate to causation) to social norms that encourage the objectification of women and false portrayals of "body image" and, finally, 3) That a bunch of the pictures in this thread likely violate workplace harassment policies and could result in the termination or discipline of readers opening the thread.

Look, I am not a prude. Deathwatch Hottie is a great BI tradition. I can appreciate cheese with the best of you. But the mix and matching in the thread is neither appropriate nor, let me suggest, the best thing for CAL to be putting forward as a supposed welcome card to recruits/commits. That doesn't mean they are joining a monastery. It does mean that if they are coming to cal to meet "hotties" it is a) not really a great way to make a 50 year life decision and b) probably not really a recipe for success in life. I just don't see why Monster Class is made better by the cheese and I can see a lot of reasons why it isn't.

Maybe that, in the end, is my main beef. It isn't the pictures of pretty women. It is the implied position that a big chunk of life should be about doing something (going to cal) which helps equates with dating said hotties which equates to a life fulfilled. That seems superficial to me on a whole host of levels and really isn't a message which should be associated with ANY institution of higher ed - much less the University of California. And no, the fact that 17 year old boys often see the world that way is not an excuse.

Peace out.
south bender
socaltownie;842332779 said:

OK. This is way OT but you DO realize, I hope as a dad, that 1) That the picture linked is NOT typical of the physic of 90 to 95% of women; 2) That a host of social ills, including eating disorders, sexual violence, workplace discrimination, just to name a few, have been conclusively shown to correlate (with all the caveats that correlation does not equate to causation) to social norms that encourage the objectification of women and false portrayals of "body image" and, finally, 3) That a bunch of the pictures in this thread likely violate workplace harassment policies and could result in the termination or discipline of readers opening the thread.

Look, I am not a prude. Deathwatch Hottie is a great BI tradition. I can appreciate cheese with the best of you. But the mix and matching in the thread is neither appropriate nor, let me suggest, the best thing for CAL to be putting forward as a supposed welcome card to recruits/commits. That doesn't mean they are joining a monastery. It does mean that if they are coming to cal to meet "hotties" it is a) not really a great way to make a 50 year life decision and b) probably not really a recipe for success in life. I just don't see why Monster Class is made better by the cheese and I can see a lot of reasons why it isn't.

Maybe that, in the end, is my main beef. It isn't the pictures of pretty women. It is the implied position that a big chunk of life should be about doing something (going to cal) which helps equates with dating said hotties which equates to a life fulfilled. That seems superficial to me on a whole host of levels and really isn't a message which should be associated with ANY institution of higher ed - much less the University of California. And no, the fact that 17 year old boys often see the world that way is not an excuse.

Peace out.

Thank you SCT!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
one of the truly defining characteristics of the collegiate experience at the #1 public university in the world is an open minded tolerance & even appreciation of those with completely different points of view or behavior we consider as unacceptable

south bender & socaltownie are not cal grads

life ain't linear#
Shocky1
the california golden bears are no strangers to adversity & being hurt...consider:

***beloved parent dies from brain cancer
***major injuries to multiple players that require long & painful rehabs
***parents divorced
***academically suspended
***unfavorably compared by scouts to aaron gordon & his non stop motor
***characterized by critics as a "classic overachiever"
***snickered by cynics as too jewish to keep up with pac 12 pgs
***regarded by most d1 colleges as too inexperienced playing bb coming from cameroon
***told by wildcat coaches to be too fat to play as a freshman
***regarded as too skinny to be an effective 4 & rebounder in the pac 12
***passed over for pt by coaches at missouri, minnesota & georgetown for other players
***wasted first 3 yrs of college stubbornly trying to be a stretch 4
***disrespected by other coaches by not guarding his outside shot
***overlooked by cal coaches despite proven ability to let it fly on 3 pters
***compared to cee lo green for failing to hustle back on d
***rejected by hometown ucla for other local guys
***spurned by johnny dawkins for the allen twins
***blasted by fans for sleepwalking in losing to usc
***defeated by dagger to the heart 3 pter in dallas
***turned away by nicky d & his crew
***saddened by farewells to beloved coaches
***mislabeled by the scouting services as a 7' project from england
***dismissed as too short, too filipino, too peruvian to play high d1 basketball
***regarded as not athletic enough to walk on at cal & play pac 12 bb
***ignored by beyonce, rihanna & shakira for sr prom dates

it's true you know, what doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger

so the question remains, will the bears take these life experiences & use them to strengthen themselves into wiser & unbreakable individuals?

will the bears "find a way?"

cal family#
seasons of discovery#
hurt#

when u r hurt, u must find a way
Big C
south bender, do you really feel THAT strongly about the pics to have it warrant "+ 1000000"?

I was going to reply "+ 1/8" or something, but you beat me to it.
stu
Shocky, the girl shots are pretty tame but those golf course photos are truly hard core. I hope you realize that:

1) The pictures you have linked are not typical of 90 to 95% of golf courses.

2) A host of social ills including obsessive behavior, odd attire, violence against small balls, excessive expenditures, and spousal neglect, just to name a few, have been conclusively shown to not only correlate with, but also to be caused by social norms that encourage the perception that a lower score is better.

3) Many of the pictures in this thread are likely to induce violations of workplace travel policies and could result in the termination or discipline of readers unable to resist the temptation.

My problem is the implication that going to Cal will result in playing said courses which will in turn result in a life fulfilled. The fact that 70 year old men often see the world that way is not an excuse.
socaltownie
Shocky1;842332839 said:

one of the truly defining characteristics of the collegiate experience at the #1 public university in the world is an open minded tolerance & even appreciation of those with completely different points of view or behavior we consider as unacceptable

south bender & socaltownie are not cal grads

life ain't linear#

LOL. Go tell that to a lawyer when you get sued for harassment. You clearly do not employ people. You could not have the thread open at a workplace where it would be seen. But I guess the people who wrote those laws are not Cal grads.....oopps...many legislators in Sacto are ;-) Anyway, you will not change and in life one has to take the good with the bad.
UCBerkGrad
socaltownie;842332779 said:

Peace out.

And we shouldn't show pictures of basketball players dunking because 99% of the student body will never be able to dunk a basketball, which may lead to feelings of inadequacy. We have a duty to protect their feelings.
tequila4kapp
stu;842332849 said:

shocky, the girl shots are pretty tame but those golf course photos are truly hard core. I hope you realize that:

1) the pictures you have linked are not typical of 90 to 95% of golf courses.

2) a host of social ills including obsessive behavior, odd attire, violence against small balls, excessive expenditures, and spousal neglect, just to name a few, have been conclusively shown to not only correlate with, but also to be caused by social norms that encourage the perception that a lower score is better.

3) many of the pictures in this thread are likely to induce violations of workplace travel policies and could result in the termination or discipline of readers unable to resist the temptation.

My problem is the implication that going to cal will result in playing said courses which will in turn result in a life fulfilled. The fact that 70 year old men often see the world that way is not an excuse.

+10000000
socaltownie
UCBerkGrad;842332884 said:

And we shouldn't show pictures of basketball players dunking because 99% of the student body will never be able to dunk a basketball, which may lead to feelings of inadequacy. We have a duty to protect their feelings.

Sadly, while Shocky's points are juvenile, yours are actually very sad. I guess you simply refuse to understand or sympathize with some very real issues that confront women in a society that more than ever continues to define their worth by focusing on physical attributes. Become a dad, changes you (all for the better)
mikecohen
From: socaltownie: "Sadly, while Shocky's points are juvenile, yours are actually very sad. I guess you simply refuse to understand or sympathize with some very real issues that confront women in a society that more than ever continues to define their worth by focusing on physical attributes. Become a dad, changes you (all for the better)"

Although the point is well taken, the irony has to be pointed out that Shocky1 has two teen-aged daughters (whom he appears clearly to treasure and respect, and whom he cites as having perhaps even a healthy degree of skepticism toward him). So, people are unique and complex mixtures.
socaltownie
mikecohen;842332916 said:

From: socaltownie: "Sadly, while Shocky's points are juvenile, yours are actually very sad. I guess you simply refuse to understand or sympathize with some very real issues that confront women in a society that more than ever continues to define their worth by focusing on physical attributes. Become a dad, changes you (all for the better)"

Although the point is well taken, the irony has to be pointed out that Shocky1 has two teen-aged daughters (whom he appears clearly to treasure and respect, and whom he cites as having perhaps even a healthy degree of skepticism toward him). So, people are unique and complex mixtures.

Yes they are. Lets just leave it at that.
OdontoBear66
socaltownie;842332879 said:

LOL. Go tell that to a lawyer when you get sued for harassment. You clearly do not employ people. You could not have the thread open at a workplace where it would be seen. But I guess the people who wrote those laws are not Cal grads.....oopps...many legislators in Sacto are ;-) Anyway, you will not change and in life one has to take the good with the bad.

And you SCT take life way too seriously. Chill and laugh a lot. Good for the soul
CleanGlass
Cal8285;842330641 said:

I would not be surprised in the least that Kidd told this story. I am a little surprised that there is an insider who buys this story lock, stock, and barrel.

Reading the rest of this thread, it doesn't surprise me at all that there is one Cal person who believes this. I think he'd probably believe anything.
socaltownie
OdontoBear66;842332954 said:

And you SCT take life way too seriously. Chill and laugh a lot. Good for the soul

Actually Odonoto - go ahead and open this thread at work and leave it up for 8 hours so that female employees can see it. THen come talk to me. My buddy helps defend companies against said suites. I probably can finagle a comish.
tydog
socaltownie;842332964 said:

Actually Odonoto - go ahead and open this thread at work and leave it up for 8 hours so that female employees can see it. THen come talk to me. My buddy helps defend companies against said suites. I probably can finagle a comish.

Wrong. Someone may sue you for doing this (someone may also sue you for breaking their hand after they punch you in the face), but they won't win. You need more for a sexual harassment or hostile work environment claim in California.
OdontoBear66
socaltownie;842332964 said:

While you are finagling a commission for a sexual harassment suit, let me set you straight as to it is not happening. Number one, I would never be looking at same at work. I retired moons ago. Prior to that I was the selected (I believe for my reputation for integrity, but not sure) by eleven women who worked for us three dentists as the designated "sexual harassment officer", for such was mandated. My approach was that if anyone ever had a complaint about the manner in which the office was acting it would be stopped immediately, this being confidential and appropriate.

Secondly, I have been happily married to the same woman for 50 years (just celebrated with the kids and grandkids in Morro Bay this weekend) who does not put up with any sh*t, but has a great sense of humor. Additionally, I have one daughter and three granddaughters from 13-17 years of age. Were anyone(in the past) to have done anything bad to the former, or in the present to the young ones I would refer you to the solution in John Lescroart's current novel the "Ophelia Cut", and I would be Moses Malone. I put up with no bullsh*t with the ladies that is real and serious in nature.

To put it mildly, I dignify each of them, at every contact, in any way I can. So put your pontificating to bed. Lighten up. Have a moment where you smile, where you might even laugh. And most of all take your legal cr*p and shove it where the sun does not shine. Good God man, life is short. You've got a major stick up your arse on propriety. Women know when they are dignified, and when they are not, and it ain't about pics of good bodies. My wife, daughter and daughter in law laughingly point them out to me on SoCal beaches. Get a life man, and give up your attorney instincts.
Shocky1

jb represented cal at the kevin durant skills academy as one of the top 15 collegiate wings in the nation

even nelly (who looks like my favorite yoga teacher) knows that the bird must fly

HoopDreams
added link to calbears.com story, with quotes from Jabari

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=209575160

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="7"]Represent the Bay
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1;842333015 said:

jb represented cal at the kevin durant skills academy as one of the top 15 collegiate wings in the nation

even nelly (who looks like my favorite yoga teacher) knows that the bird must fly

MiZery
Can we leave this thread alone and let shocky continue talking to himself
OdontoBear66
MiZery;842333029 said:

Can we leave this thread alone and let shocky continue talking to himself

Funny how those who don't like to listen keep showing up for more abuse. I say let the rest of us enjoy the info and enthusiasm he brings to Cal BB. I will admit the image of grandma's butt will be hard to scratch from my memory bank, but those cells will recycle soon enough.
HoopDreams

and first sighting of cole welle

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]Welcome to Cal[/SIZE][/COLOR]
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842333039 said:

and first sighting of cole wells

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]Welcome to Cal[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I apologize for being a liberal; but I am very enthusiastic about the diversity of this team - the whole team -- Of course these three guys are particularly mind blowing taken together.
OdontoBear66
mikecohen;842333096 said:

I apologize for being a liberal; but I am very enthusiastic about the diversity of this team - the whole team -- Of course these three guys are particularly mind blowing taken together.

What does that have to do with being liberal. I am moderately conservative (fiscal basis) and I think the diversity is great as well. I love some of the compartmentalizing.
BeachedBear
OdontoBear66;842333142 said:

What does that have to do with being liberal. I am moderately conservative (fiscal basis) and I think the diversity is great as well. I love some of the compartmentalizing.

I hate to muck with Shocky's weblog, but Odonto beat me to the punch here Mike. I think you are mis-using the term liberal here - at the risk of offending both liberals and conservatives alike.

The english speaking term evolves from legislative politics of the last couple of centuries and reflects one side pushing for CHANGE with respect to an issue versus the other side pushing to remain the same (Conservatives). Albeit - it has evolved to a mushy term that reflects neither in modern times.

I don't think either side of any of the relevant issues would argue that diversity in this case is a bad thing :p

Oh - and thanks for apologizing!

Signed Beachedbear - social liberal, fiscal centrist, political radical, educational re-constructionist, musical eclectic, artistic wannabee and religious paleo-psycho-babblist.

:rollinglaugh:
mikecohen
BeachedBear;842333155 said:

I hate to muck with Shocky's weblog, but Odonto beat me to the punch here Mike. I think you are mis-using the term liberal here - at the risk of offending both liberals and conservatives alike.

The english speaking term evolves from legislative politics of the last couple of centuries and reflects one side pushing for CHANGE with respect to an issue versus the other side pushing to remain the same (Conservatives). Albeit - it has evolved to a mushy term that reflects neither in modern times.

I don't think either side of any of the relevant issues would argue that diversity in this case is a bad thing :p

Oh - and thanks for apologizing!

Signed Beachedbear - social liberal, fiscal centrist, political radical, educational re-constructionist, musical eclectic, artistic wannabee and religious paleo-psycho-babblist.

:rollinglaugh:

Can it be denied that the push for change of our country's racist past came (and continues to come) from the left?
tuckerbear1
Depends on how you define left. The New England Republicans were quite socially liberal in the 60's and 70's. The South was nearly all Democrat but a very different breed of Dem than we have today. LBJ, a Texas Dem, was far more socially liberal than JFK. California was no where near as "liberal" as it is today.

Labels are dull. The great thing about the current younger generation is they don't even think about color. Maybe one of these days we can retire the political animosity where 2 labels are supposed to define the entire populace and the polarization that comes with it.
NVGolfingBear
tuckerbear1;842333202 said:

Depends on how you define left. The New England Republicans were quite socially liberal in the 60's and 70's. The South was nearly all Democrat but a very different breed of Dem than we have today. LBJ, a Texas Dem, was far more socially liberal than JFK. California was no where near as "liberal" as it is today.

Labels are dull. The great thing about the current younger generation is they don't even think about color. Maybe one of these days we can retire the political animosity where 2 labels are supposed to define the entire populace and the polarization that comes with it.

Amen to this!

Wait, can I say that?
Shocky1
there is room for EVERYONE (including fools & dumb azzs like me) in the cal basketball family

if you are under 30, this is your video
if you are over 70, this is your video

this ain't some little private club or something

all you gotta do is roar a little bit

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public & most diverse university in the world
mikecohen
tuckerbear1;842333202 said:

Far out. One might even say you are in denial
NVBear78
Yes, that is very debatable beginning with the fact that Republican votes pushed through LBJ's Civil Rights Act when Southern Democrats were blocking it.

mikecohen;842333175 said:

Can it be denied that the push for change of our country's racist past came (and continues to come) from the left?
R.Hobbs
It be great to have that kind of Congress again , where our representatives would cross party lines .
Shocky1
donovan mitchell, a 6'8" 195 lbs highly athletic 2016 leaper from buchanan hs (clovis) unofficially visited cal & met with the bears bb staff

the aau chaos fast emerging prospect has focused on volleyball in the past & is from a successful sports family as both of his parents are former professional athletes...mitchell is continuing to grow as he's shot up 4 inches in the last yr

as a freshman at clovis, donovan had 7.7 ppg, 8.9 rpg & 4.4 apg in 21 games

with his quick feet & vertical jumping ability, donovan prefers to play the 2 or 3 at the next level...the bears staff is watching mitchell closely this summer as part of the potential offer process...imo donovan could be the next marcus lee (mike & his staff should've built earlier relationships with the family, not waiting until late in lee's jr yr)

donovan's long term goals?

"go to a good school, get my degree, have a family and work hard every day so one day i have a chance to make it big!"

cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the central valley)
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.