cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,358 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
antipattern
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842280651 said:

reread the 2nd sentence of the matt cimino post above for your answer

if you need additional help with your developing reading skills, there's a couple of really good books that can be recommended to you

go dog go#

If you need additional help developing your hashtag skills, click this: http://mashable.com/2013/10/08/what-is-hashtag/

Here's a sample:

Quote:

For starters, spaces are an absolute no-no. Even if your hashtag contains multiple words, group them all together.

Shocky1
antipattern;842280655 said:

If you need additional help developing your hashtag skills, click this: http://mashable.com/2013/10/08/what-is-hashtag/

Here's a sample:

stoopid advice#
Shocky1
richard midgley from burgess, england was one of the most hard azz & ferociously competitive players to ever wear a california golden bears uniform

midgley set a cal freshmen shooting record by connecting on 44.9% of 3 pters (44-98) including an ice in the veins game winning 3 pter with 3.9 seconds left in overtime to give the bears a 1st round ncca victory over north carolina state 76-74

richard midgley told me "i am married (my wife and i met at cal), living in the east bay and commuting to modesto everyday...i have been coaching/teaching at my old high school modesto christian for the last 4 years (2nd year as head coach)...after graduating from cal in 2006 I played professionally in england for 3 years and then moved back to california"

"my major at cal was social welfare...i was not planning on coaching when i stopped playing but I visited my old high school coach at modesto christian, gary porter, at an open gym just to say hi and as i was there did some skill training stuff with the team...there were a couple of 8th graders at the practice that i thought had some potential and that i would be able to help them so from that session i started doing a couple of practices a week over the summer which then progressed to daily practices when then progressed to me helping coach the team in the season which then progressed to me being hired full time at the school and taking over the program...i couldn't be happier with the way things have gone and i really enjoy trying to influence and motivate high school kids to achieve more in all areas of their lives"

"i consider theo robertson one of my closest friends...he keeps me up to date on everything going on at cal...he has been a great resource for me when i need some coaching ideas or thoughts on how to motivate some of my players...i do not get to as many games as i would like with our high school schedule and cal's schedule but i did get to the cal vs arizona game last week and enjoyed watching the game"

re: ivan rabb who played against modesto christian sat afternoon

"the first thing that comes to my head with ivan is special...he has great length and athleticism and his timing on blocking shots is excellent...he plays without fouling which is rare in high school...he has excellent touch around the basket with both hands and his footwork make him unguardable 1 on 1 on the post"

re: jeff "dr" wu, the shockster's top target for a 2015 cal preferred walk on slot

"jeff wu has an excellent gpa (3.5 or above)...he definitely would be good enough to walk on at cal...he has a few mid major schools showing a lot of interest in him though"

cal basketball coaching tree#
50 yr decision & friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the united kingdom)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842189175 said:

4 time gold medal winner at the 2012 london olympic games, missy franklin

50 yr decision#
the grind#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

"its (cal) been everything i hoped for and more...classes were extremely difficult last semester but i loved them...i was happy with how my grades turned out...i really wanted a school that would challenge me just as much as in the pool...education is such a huge priority for me"

"it's been amazing...i've had so many experiences that i know have already begun to change who i am as an athlete and a person"

-missy franklin, cal student athlete

at the 2012 london olympics the bears had 38 athletes competing in 10 sports winning 17 medals including 11 gold medals

if the university of california at berkeley was a country, then it would have ranked 6th in the world

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including austria)

Shocky1
the 2013/2014 california golden bears are no strangers to adversity & being hurt...consider:

***beloved parent dies from brain cancer
***major injuries to multiple players that require long & painful rehabs
***parents divorced
***academically suspended
***unfavorably compared by scouts to aaron gordon & his non stop motor
***characterized by critics as a "classic overachiever"
***snickered by cynics as too jewish to keep up with pac 12 pgs
***regarded by most d1 colleges as too inexperienced playing bb coming from cameroon
***told by wildcat coaches to be too fat to play as a freshman
***regarded as too skinny to be an effective 4 & rebounder in the pac 12
***passed over for pt by coaches at missouri & minnesota for other players
***wasted first 3 yrs of college stubbornly trying to be a stretch 4
***disrespected by other coaches by not guarding his outside shot
***overlooked by cal coaches despite proven ability to let it fly on 3 pters
***compared to cee lo green for failing to hustle back on d
***rejected by hometown ucla for other local guys
***spurned by johnny dawkins for the allen twins
***blasted by fans for sleepwalking in losing to usc
***ignored by beyonce, rihanna & shakira for sr prom dates

it's true you know, what doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger

so the question remains, will the bears take these life experiences & use them to strengthen themselves into a relentlessly energetic & unbreakable team with an undeniable mental resolve to come together regardless of the circumstances on this trip to the cold azz northwest?

will the bears "find a way?"

cal family#
season of discovery#
no regrets#
hurt#
antipattern
never mind
Shocky1
Shocky1;842265898 said:

ken bone washington hc

kenneth the page from 30 rock

cougin it#
Shocky1

go cougs#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842228799 said:

idrissa diallo, a silent commit since his official visit with his parents & mentor/coach middlebrooks, is officially a california golden bear

at the beginning of this summer the cal coaching staff regarded idrissa diallo as the most athletic with the highest upside, thomas welsh as the most polished and evan fitzner as the most ball skilled

at various points in his recruitment, iddy had actionable offers from ucla, usc, oregon & colorado with significant interest from other major programs

with a solid 3.4 gpa, diallo is a true student athlete too

congratulations to our honest & high character bb staff (particularly gregg gottlieb) for their tireless efforts in iddy's recruitment

idrissa diallo, an impressive young man from senegal, will continue his epic quest to fulfill his dreams at the #1 ranked public university in the world

idrissa diallo is reportedly per frank burlison now 6'10" 260 lbs

iddy (after a quick trip home to see the family + passport stuff in senegal) & ahmaad rorie are gonna love working with s&c guru scott thom this summer in berkeley & seeing the results of their hard work

candy azz soft dudes need not apply to become california golden bears

create greatness#
tenplay
Shocky - Did you ever find out why Cimino's FG% is only 51% when he is 6'10" playing in a Maine prep league? Does it mean that he is pretty much a long-range jump shooter rather than a banger under the boards?
Shocky1
tenplay;842281429 said:

Shocky - Did you ever find out why Cimino's FG% is only 51% when he is 6'10" playing in a Maine prep league? Does it mean that he is pretty much a long-range jump shooter rather than a banger under the boards?

worcester academy plays highly competitive east coast prep teams, this isn't some crappy azz local maine hs league with 5'6" stretch 4s...dan sullivan (the asst hc) told me that most opponents have 1-2 d1 players

so 51% on fgs is actually pretty good (not great)...updated stats will be forthcoming

kinda repeating stuff (read the post re: cimino) but sullivan also told me that cimino is developing a deadly little jump hook in the paint along with taking perimieter shots as a forward facing 4 that can defend 4s & 5s on d
Shocky1
yoga girl

adios pullman#
cal family#
antipattern
Shocky1;842281775 said:

yoga girl

adios pullman#
cal family#

jennifer aniston went to washington state?
Shocky1
original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, ricky "the glue" kreklow, david "what not to wear" kravish", justin "ice in his veins" cobbs, sammy "the gym rat" singer & jordan "the shooter" mathews

the bears are flawed, so ******* what, that's the beauty of these guys (they're just like us)

the palouse ain't paris

merci beaucoup
Shocky1
antipattern;842281792 said:

jennifer aniston went to washington state?

only for a while, before both she & courtney cox transferred to nyu & were rommates

who knew
mikecohen
Shocky1;842281814 said:

only for a while, before both she & courtney cox transferred to nyu & were rommates

who knew

So, you mean, it wasn't because of their age and imagined preference for younger men? Oh!
Shocky1

where the monsters are#

l to r, ricky "the glue" kreklow, david "what not to wear" kravish", justin "ice in his veins" cobbs, sammy "the gym rat" singer & jordan "the shooter" mathews

the bears are flawed, so ******* what, that's the beauty of these guys (they're just like us)

the palouse ain't paris either

honestly, david "what not to wear" kravish could learn a few style pts from bruno mars

merci beaucoup

gq#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842279705 said:

ahmaad rorie built up the confidence of his younger teammates & scored 8 pts as the lincoln abes (17-2) declared an act of war at mt tahoma 83-38

hc aubrey shelton's d minded abes have one more game at timberline before it's off to the races in the narrows league playoffs

presidential authority#
stay away from the interns#

ahmaad rorie facilitated/distributed & played tuff d along with scoring 13 pts as the lincoln abes (18-2) vetoed the timberline blazers (led by 23 pts from 2014 washington signee donovan dorsey) 77-59

the abes will play again this fri nite vs wilson (18-2) for the outright 3a narrows league (home of future us open links chambers bay) championship with potentially travis decuire in the house

go abes#
all the marbles#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 253)
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842281775 said:

yoga girl... burrito grill.

Fify
Shocky1
kaileb has started 18 games for sheridan jc (wyoming) while averaging 4.6 ppg on 48.5% fgs & 47.2% fts +3.7 boards per game...it is not known if cj box & joe pickett attend all home games for the 22-5 generals

rodriguez will be attending nevada-reno next season
Shocky1
ivan rabb scored 19 pts w/8 fgs & 3-6 fts in limited time as the bod dragons (19-4) fireballed the mt eden monarchs 85-50

ivan's decision among his 10 finalists (all have offered except duke which is expected to receive a commit from pf chase jeter) is shaping up to be a spring of 2015 battle

tammi matters#
home cooking#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the east bay)

HoopDreams
Love the Cal basketball scene when Haas gets rocking. A lot to like besides the game...

Shocky1

jakob, the last young guy from austria who journeyed to california did all right

the governator#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842279705 said:

ahmaad rorie built up the confidence of his younger teammates & scored 8 pts as the lincoln abes (17-2) declared an act of war at mt tahoma 83-38

hc aubrey shelton's d minded abes have one more game at timberline before it's off to the races in the narrows league playoffs

presidential authority#

ahmaad rorie facilitated/distributed & played tuff d along with scoring 13 pts as the lincoln abes (18-2) vetoed the timberline blazers (led by 23 pts from 2014 washington signee donovan dorsey) 77-59

the abes will play again this fri nite vs wilson (18-2) for the outright 3a narrows league (home of future us open links chambers bay) championship with potentially travis decuire in the house

go abes#
all the marbles#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the 253)

ahmaad rorie scored a game high 22 pts on an efficient 8-14 fgs as the lincoln abes (18-3) were impeached by the wilson rams 69-54 in the league championship game which included an unnecessary chippy scrum by both teams which resulted in a t against lincoln hc aubrey shleton for leaving the bench in his efforts to restore order

black eye affair#

Shocky1

ivan the terrible scored 30 pts as the hungry bod dragons (20-4) enjoyed a late nite snack of the berkeley top dogs (formerly known as the yellowjackets) 99-64 in a national food network broadcast...alice waters dnp for berkeley

bon appetit#
reservations not necessary#

Shocky1

daytrip#
Shocky1

where the monsters are#

l to r, ricky "the glue" kreklow, tryone "let's rumble" wallace, justin "ice in his veins" cobbs, david "get that crap out of here" kravish & jordan "touchdown bears" mathews

something happened today inside alaska airlines arena at the university of washington

the bears started the game with lethargic d, got outrebounded & outhustled on every loose ball & aimlessly passed the ball around the perimeter with the bench as studiously quiet as the cal chess team in a big match vs cal tech...the huskys were up by probably a dozen & threatening to knock the bears stone cold out by halftime...technical knockout, baby

in short, it was a biz as usual start for the bad news bears

then it happened

i could see it clearly from my front row seat (thx jj) 3 feet directly behind theo roberton & gregg gottlieb when a frustrated monty called another time out

but before mike could light the guys up again like he did at usc & santa barbara with them looking back at him like stoned out transients at people's park, an animated richard solomon jumped up off the bench & was the 1st guy on the floor to meet his teammates

and solo showed sr leadership as the guys started talking among themselves, getting fired up, showing some ******* emotion for a change

kabam

action resumes & solomon is demanding the ball in the paint, kravish is ferociously swatting & altering shots, kreklow is relentlessly hounding cj wilcox whose body language continues to deteriorate throughout the game, wallace is attacking the basket like a contender, mathews is shooting the rock & going deep (touchdown bears, goff to treggs), bird throws down a monster dunk, cobbs is looking like a pac 12 mvp , etc.

this **** is getting live

the bears played their best bb of the season...my new buddy jason rose, travis decuire's dad (3 sport all state athlete) & the shockster are loudly roaring from behind the cal bench as the bad azz bears are playing (actually a better word would be celebrating) with criminally insane energy...life is good

and it all started with rich imposing his will upon the game

i enjoyed conversing with amhaad rorie & also the amazing decuire friends & family (not gonna repeat td's hs gpa but let's just say travis today might not recruit the travis of yesterday)

it's a thoroughly defeated washington crowd as we do the bear territory chant during the last minute of the game

beautiful moments after the game as sam (happy b-day to the gym rat) is posing for fotos with his parents, tryone is interviewing (with me & jason rose photobombing in the background) with the yoga body tv sideline reporter, ricky is answering questions from the cal radio team & the extended decuire family (which includes a 2017 top 25 national player with a 3.5 gpa, dad is a coach & mom enforces a no grades/no play policy) is celebrating a bears victory with td in the middle

did i mention it was drizzly azz cold in the northwest flying in & out of sea tac from the desert today?

will the bears bring criminally insane energy again vs ucla?
being crazy ain't all bad

cal family#
bad azz bears#
Shocky1
tyrone "let's rumble" wallace is the only california golden bear that is always mentally & physically prepared to play at the start of every game

t-wall scored 20 pts (he is literally unstoppable when he attacks the basket rather than just settling for open perimeter shots) on an efficient 6-14 fgs + 7-9 fts along with 8 boards, 4 assists, a block & most importantly, lockdown d

so it was uncharacteristic of wallace to not hustle back on d after fumbling the ball in the lane during the 1st minute

funny moment when mike gets up & tells the bench "it's ok to make a mistake but that doesn't mean you need to cry about it"

apparently montgomery agrees with the shockster that sometimes the bears play like soft candy azz bitches

cal family#
bad azz bears#
off to the races#

Shocky1
bishop odowd's 4 yr team manager lucas cortez who has a heart defect challenge finally got into the dragon's fri nite game vs berkeley

check out this video to see what happened
http://www.contracostatimes.com/high-school-sports/ci_25154789/bishop-odowd-basketball-senior-team-manager-lucas-cortez

lucas cortez=man of steel

ivan rabb's reaction (#23) tells you a lot about his character & his mad love for his teammates

theo, can you get lucas (and his teammates) to another cal game this season & show this video on the big screen?

go dragons#
Shocky1

no news from austria

my favorite austrian#
Shocky1
"i like cal, i like cal a lot...that's really a home school for me because i'm from oakland, i'm from that area...that'a home away from home for me"

-cameron oliver

the 6'7" 205 lb oliver has offers from asu, oregon, oregon state, utep & gonzaga...cameron does not have an actionable offer from cal right now subject to improved grades & test scores

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)
Shocky1

ahmaad rorie scored a game high 22 pts on an efficient 8-14 fgs as the lincoln abes (18-3) were impeached by the wilson rams 69-54 in the league championship game which included an unnecessary chippy scrum by both teams which resulted in a t against lincoln hc aubrey shleton for leaving the bench in his efforts to restore order

black eye affair#

ahmaad rorie facilitated/distributed & scored 12 pts along with lockdown d as the lincoln abes (19-3) vetoed the hazen highlanders 66-47 in the 1st round of the playoffs

conversed with ahmaad (received prior clearance from the cal staff, fans/donors should never communicate with prospects, rorie is a signed commit) during halftime of the washington game

rorie is respectful, thoughtful & somewhat soft spoken (shades of justin cobbs & last yr's pac 12 mvp, alan crabbe)...we talked about his experience with the #1 nationally ranked montverde academy (all the guys including ben simmons are "humble") & the upcoming playoffs (ahmaad was not part of the altercation vs wilson)

one of his best friends is dejounte murray, a 2015 6'4" high flying guard from rainier beach with an actionable offer from travis decuire, who will be checked out by kentucky this week & is also being scouted by damon stoudamire from arizona

ahmaad is very much looking forward to graduating from hs & arriving in berkeley for summer bridge this june

one of the decuire family members lives in tacoma & when asked about rorie's game his eyes lit up & he told me "the thing about amhaad is that he can really, really shoot the ball from distance"

yeah, i'm predictable, i asked ahmaad about his gpa too...

ahmaad rorie=perfect cal fit as a student athlete

go abes#
presidential authority#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842276718 said:

sami is averaging 5.9 boards per game but not much offensive production for justin labagh's #1 ranked ccsf (15-1) in their quest for another state championship
http://www.cccaastats.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/players/sammielerakyv02c?view=gamelog

it's important to have a lot of game to become a california golden bear

justin labagh told me that sami is continuing to develop & that he's becoming more aggressive in rebounding, averaging 2 blocks per game (and forcing opponents to adjust other shots) in conference play & shooting fts much better

eleraky's last game might have been his best performance with the rams...he scored 14 pts on 4-7 fgs & 6-7 fts along with 4 boards & 4 blocks as ccsf blew the doors off canada 134-90

gregg gottlieb will scout sami again in the near future

sami eleraky had one of his best games of the season as he scored 12 pts on 3-6 fgs & 6-9 fts (which has been an adventure but improving lately) + 4 boards + 3 blocks in reclaiming his starting role as justin labagh's ccsf rams (24-1) horned las positas 90-58

where's waldo#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842269689 said:

sitting behind the bench at the santa barbara game, it was disappointing to observe that the guys behind the first 7 players were not actively participating & mentally engaged during the team's timeout discussions

they looked like stoned out transients from people's park looking lost in space...to their credit, none of them were incoherently mumbling to themselves about dudes from mars stealing their stuff

they could learn from the then injured ricky kreklow last season who got his broken down azz (and foot) into the middle of every timeout while enthusiastically pumping up his teammates & actively listening to the coaches outline strategies (taking important mental reps)

ricky kreklow is gonna be a wildly successful hc and/or multi millionaire rainmaker in biz someday, he's always gonna have a good looking gf (or wife) that adores him, he's gonna have loving kids that respect him, he's gonna achieve his dreams because he is 100% physically & mentally engaged at all times with his full buy in commitment to excellence...ricky gets it

funny thing is that some guys are always gonna say that ricky is "lucky"...wrong, ricky kreklow is engineering his "luck" in life

i get it, sitting on the bench isn't fun (life is tough, get over it)...the solution isn't to mentally check out/throw a pity party for your sorry azz but rather to grind harder & be mentally tougher

so who are these guys?

*****sam singer-brings passing skills...a gym rat, sam needs to practice a 1000 3 pters a day/night so that when his name is called he will let it fly without hesitation with nothing to fear

*****kameron rooks-brings size...kameron needs to develop a reliable seal & finish move around the basket

*****roger moute a bidias-brings energy...roger needs to work hard with the s&c program & knock down open 10-12 footers

*****jeff powers-brings 3 pt shooting skills...imo the staff is undervaluing jeff's ability to shoot the bears back from losing situations when the starters are off their games

*****christian behrens-brings length & ball skills-christian needs to get 100% healthy

the bears 8 thru 10 roles are still wide open...pt is available

so knock off the dumb azz lost in space crap during timeouts, ok?

cal family#
boats against the current#
the grind#
unbreakable#

why did the bears lose to the trojans at the galen center?

the most significant factor was the complete lack of energy & mental engagement from the cal bench...after the epic passion during victories in palo alto, eugene & corvallis, the bad newz bears reverted back to their santa barbara stoned out transients from people's park lost in space bs

in all seriousness, i noticed sitting 6 feet from the cal bench that ricky (usually the bears leader/mvp for team energy), sammy, roger, garrett, jabari, jeff, christian & kameron spent the first 10 minutes of the game mutely gazing at the usc cheerleaders who were preening literally inches away from the last seat on the cal bench

there was a total lack of focus & vocal support for their teammates, these guys were not mentally locked into the game...i dunno, maybe christian behrens needs to hand out some beast mode skittles before the ucla game to get guys sugared up

ricky, sammy, roger, garrett, jabari, jeff, christian & kameron-try this crap again vs ucla & i'm gonna be screaming at you to get your head out of your azz

and i will relentlessly yell at you until probably security comes over & asks me if there's a problem

then i'll slide them a benjamin or two, tell them to go get some coffee & then i'll continue screaming at you guys even louder

don't make me go ballistic on you & embarazz you in front of sarah & anne montgomery...honestly, if you aren't 100% enthused about playing the ucla bruins at pauley pavilion, you should turn in your california golden bear uniform & transfer your sorry broken down azz down to cal state earthquake & enroll in their hugely popular traffic lights repair service major

i totally get that the bears coaches are locked into the game so it's pretty much the responsibility of true cal fans (you know, the ones that actually go to the games) to make sure the bench is fired up...this is a basketball game, not moffitt library

ok, so here's the gameplan to ensure a successful visit to pauley pavilion:

***justin cobbs feeds richard solomon in the 1st offensive set for a slam dunk with a monster scream from solo to get everybody off their azzs & the blood boiling...knees will be bouncing with energy

***2nd set david kravish receives an entry lob for an interior post move basket

***the bears fight for boards & knock (cleanly) the candy azz soft stretch 4 wear twinz on their azzs

***tyrone wallace uses his length to prevent kyle anderson from facilitating the bruins offense

***alford then adjusts & goes to a compact zone d...this spacing allows jabari bird, jordan mathews & jeff powers to "let it fly" from behind the 3 pt line

***kameron rooks outmuscles tony parker

***christian behrens brings slashing cuts to the basket & energized interior d

***sam singer outplays bryce alford

***roger moute a bidias makes life hell for jordan adams harassing him on the wing

***garrett galvin clownpunks the bruins for a couple of closing baskets in front of his family

***the bears (coaches not included) then hook up with the emotionally needy ucla cheerleaders after the game before the flight back to the bay area

the time is NOW

let's roll#
no regrets#
off to the races#http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lana+del+rey+off+to+the+races&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=44F6102AE773C549415744F6102AE773C5494157

the time is NOW for bears fans to roar & create criminally insane energy at haas vs ucla

being a tv fan makes you as worthless as shabazzzz...forget about all your sorry broken down dumb azz excuses & live in the moment

i'm flying to new york city right now for a biz meeting & then heading home tonite (cal haas b-schools undergrads make **** happen), i've flown to sydney for a round of golf, getting to berkeley shouldn't be a major complication for most of you (unless you are incarcerated)

nothing worthwhile in life is ever gonna happen unless you make it happen...this dumb azz thread was started because i thought cal bb recruiting needed greater transparency & a little more enthusiasm & most importantly a celebration of this interesting & high character collection of true student athletes each with a unique backstory

our time on planet earth is finite...the possibilities of how we spend that time are endless

let's roll, baby

cal family#
off to the races#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842282646 said:

ivan the terrible scored 30 pts as the hungry bod dragons (20-4) enjoyed a late nite snack of the berkeley top dogs (formerly known as the yellowjackets) 99-64 in a national food network broadcast...alice waters dnp for berkeley

bon appetit#
reservations not necessary#

ivan rabb barely broke a sweat (shades of marcus lee this season) in limited pt & scored 11 pts w/3 fgs & 5-6 fts as the bod dragons (21-4) made the san leandro pirates walk the plank 78-34...dennis dixon dnp for the pirates

lou richie's dragons are definitely peaking at the right time & are off to the races for a california open division run

ivan is gonna be at haas wed nite...where you gonna be?

bay meadows finest#
First Page Last Page
Page 65 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.