cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,367,424 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[COLOR="Blue"]electrifying[/COLOR] performance from Jabari Bird vs the athletic Arkansas

But Bird matched that athleticism with some baseline slashes and wrap around finishes, crashing the boards for 8 rebounds, silky smooth shooting, and monster slam

Jabari !

Shocky1

i dunno, maybe smu means smell my underwear

Shocky1
Shocky1
christian terrell has been offered by usc, washington and gonzaga with cal & ucla also recruiting him hard

but guess what?

christian has described cal as his "dream school"

sacramento mayor/former nba all star/bears starting pg kevin johnson would agree with that assessment

cal family#

http://midmajorhoopsreport.com/2014/03/14/players-corner-64-guard-christian-terrell-sacramento-hs-2016ca/...recent profile of ct

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

a soph ranked in the top 50 in the 2016 class describing cal as his "dream school" is not just some lucky azz good fortune for the bears, it's a direct result of the cal bb staff building early & deep relationships with key targeted prospects

this is cal basketball#
socaltownie
Could we get an update/outline of the dates that are in play? As I understand it (but surely wrong):

http://www.nationalletter.org/

So the next window will be April 16 through May 21th (for our 2014-2015 targets who are:_____&______&________

and then

November 12th through 19th (with likely early verbals) for 2015-2016 targets who are ____&_____& ________&________
Shocky1
socaltownie;842296817 said:

Could we get an update/outline of the dates that are in play? As I understand it (but surely wrong):

So the next window will be April 16 through May 21th (for our 2014-2015 targets who are:_____&______&________

and then

November 12th through 19th (with likely early verbals) for 2015-2016 targets who are ____&_____& ________&________

cal's current bb recruiting is as fluid as a rapidly moving river (and yes, there are dangerous rocks underneath the currents)

fill in the blanks won't work here

with my 2nd favorite austrian who had an actionable arizona offer, american hs preps including the #1 player in the 2015 class & the best player in minnesota along with several elite west coast wings, an amazingly loaded 2016 class with several key top 50 targets describing cal as their dream school, 2 2017 bluechippers already leaning towards the bears, former recruits who might want to discuss transferring back to cal & even perhaps an already identified grad transfer possibility, cal bb is naturally evolving into a dynamic spawning ground

some of these details need to remain not visible (for now) below the pounding currents

this thread was started because of the need for greater energy & transparency with respects to cal bb recruiting...the common connector between all these potential future california golden bears is that they are high gpa/character student athletes that will proudly represent the #1 public university in the river

stoopid dumb azz playahs that want to ball out (and not focus on creating a lifetime of achieving their unique dreams via hard work in the classroom) need not apply (we ain't oregon)

this is cal basketball#
breath of fresh air#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842296844 said:

cal's current bb recruiting is as fluid as a rapidly moving river (and yes, there are dangerous rocks underneath the currents)

fill in the blanks won't work here

with my 2nd favorite austrian who had an actionable arizona offer, american hs preps including the #1 player in the 2015 class & the best player in minnesota, an amazingly loaded 2016 class with several key targets describing cal as their dream school, 2 2017 bluechippers already leaning towards the bears, former recruits who might want to discuss transferring back to cal & even perhaps an already identified grad transfer possibility, cal bb is naturally evolving into a dynamic spawning ground

some of these details need to remain not visible (for now) underneath the pounding current

this thread was started because of the need for greater energy & transparency with respects to cal bb recruiting...the common connector between all these potential future california golden bears is that they are high gpa/character student athletes that will proudly represent the #1 public university in the river

stoopid dumb azz playahs that want to ball out (and not focus on creating a lifetime of achieving their unique dreams via hard work in the classroom) need not apply (we ain't oregon)

this is cal basketball#
breath of fresh air#

LOL. But as Norman Maclean would write, "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy."

So I think my dates are right. Your second favorite Austrian would need to sign in the dates above since he would (correct?) be entering next year. And it seems from your post that you think it is possible, indeed, perhaps correct in a strategic stand point, that the Bears would leave open a scholarship to be able to get a 2017 target.
concordtom
socaltownie;842296817 said:

and then

The spring period is for kids graduating this year, 2014, only. Rabb and any other 2015 grads would sign during your second date range (November 2014), or spring 2015.

Kids can give VERBAL at any time and at any age/grade, but it's not official until they sign during the periods of their senior year. A 2015 grad cannot sign, making it binding, until next November. A 2016 grad cannot sign until Nov 2015. If a student doesn't sign during the November period, he must wait until the following spring period. You cannot sign as a junior, whether fall or spring period.

Back to verbal... A school may have 3 scholarship slots available, and they may offer to several more than that, on a first-come first-serve basis. These are the dangerous rocks underneath the flowing waters that Shocky mentioned. Offers can disappear if a new recruit shows up, if others give their verbal before you do, or if some other situation develops (behavior, on-court disappointing performance, etc.)

As players try to figure out the best situation for them, based on many factors (academics, location, teammates, coaches, etc.) it can be important not to dilly-dally and let actionable offers disappear.

If a kid gives a verbal outside of the official signing date ranges, a coaching staff will honor that and not have an actionable offer disappear come the official signing day.

First-come First-serve, therefore, rules the day. Wait too long in hopes of something seemingly better, or because you are simply not yet sure, and you run the risk of missing out. It's a delicate dance on both sides. Coaching staffs only have so many scholarships to offer up each year, so receiving an offer for one is not to be taken for granted.

...did I read that correctly that the Austrian "had" an actionable AZ offer, but since it's written in past tense that he no longer "has" an actionable offer? Ouch! There may be no better response than to get revenge against them on the court in conference play 2 times a year!
concordtom
socaltownie;842296848 said:

.... the Bears would leave open a scholarship to be able to get a 2017 target.

I don't know why you are worried about 2017 slots now. We still have 1 2014 slot available, and all of 2015 and 2016 to deal with. Yes, you want to have balanced class sizes year over year, but there is much to play out before we worry about 2017 filling up.
socaltownie
concordtom;842296879 said:

I don't know why you are worried about 2017 slots now. We still have 1 2014 slot available, and all of 2015 and 2016 to deal with. Yes, you want to have balanced class sizes year over year, but there is much to play out before we worry about 2017 filling up.

Hey - I am just going off the monster thread's original author who noted targets in the 17 class.
LOUMFSG2
concordtom;842296879 said:

I believe right now there are two 2014 slots available (remember, we are only using 12 currently after K. Johnson left). The question is whether we plan to use both in 2014, or save one for an additional player in the 2015 class.
parentswerebears
Question is: how many of the 15s are for real and is the transfer a graduate? That would be the ideal. Get one and the transfer and have his scholly available for 15.
concordtom
Shocky1;842296844 said:

Pretty photo. I wonder where it is.
I think I can even see a bear fishing for salmon down there.
Too bad it's not a golden bear, as the last one was apparently seen in the Santa Cruz mountains in 1936. Damn! Let's get some Cal bio sciences grad to steal some DNA off a pelt on display somewhere and bring the thing back to life, like they are talking about doing with the wholly mammoth or the Tasmanian devil.

I mean, Oski is cool and all, but I would support retiring him in favor of a real live golden bear mascot, just like Bevo or that Colorado buffalo. Our guy would kick their a$$, not to mention donald duck in Eugene.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842296746 said:

i dunno, maybe smu means smell my underwear

the dallas a listers showed up tonite including former potus george w. bush & first lady laura (smu grad), tony romo & cowboys hc jason garrett among the sold out 7,000 frenzied fans including the student section which was passing around pitchers of beer (the texas legal drinking age is apparently 12)

sat with jay john (a bush lookalike) & watched an undersized california golden bears team relentlessly compete (unlike the earlier road games at usc & santa barbara this season) vs a very good smu team

smu's campus in affluent highland park is only a few minutes north of the the dallas skyline so i drove downtown after the game for a late nite drive with the windows down along jfk's route in 1963...i found a r&b oldies station on my rental radio & listened to marvin gaye's "what's going on" with images of the zapruder film in my head

we can't change history but we can learn from our life experiences & boldly move forward with nothing to fear

cal family#
concordtom
Shocky1;842297256 said:

I drove downtown after the game for a late nite drive with the windows down along jfk's route in 1963...i found a r&b oldies station on my rental & listened to marvin gaye's "what's going on" with images of the zapruder film in my head

But were you wearing socks?

Lol... Seriously, though... Cobbs is clearly our POY, and you are clearly FOY. Congratulations, Watson. You are our envy. May a handful of birdies greet you in the AM. I do tip my cap to you.
Shocky1
jay john

george w bush

Shocky1
the dallas a listers showed up tonite including former potus george w. bush & first lady laura (smu grad), tony romo & cowboys hc jason garrett among the sold out 7,000 frenzied fans including the student section which was passing around pitchers of beer (the texas legal drinking age is apparently 12)

sat with jay john (a bush lookalike) & watched an undersized california golden bears team relentlessly compete (unlike the earlier road games at usc & santa barbara this season) vs a very good smu team

smu's campus in affluent highland park is only a few minutes north of the the dallas skyline so i drove downtown after the game for a late nite drive with the windows down along jfk's route in 1963...i found a r&b oldies station on my rental & listened to marvin gaye's "what's going on" with images of the zapruder film in my head

we can't change history but we can learn from our life experiences & boldly move forward with nothing to fear

cal family#

one of the most rewarding opportunities with world travel is to follow in the footsteps of history to gain a better appreciation

we should all make an effort to know what's going on

Shocky1

the answer might surprise u

"well, as disappointing as it is to be one shot away from going to new york, i was really proud of these guys and the effort they put forth...we were obviously a little short handed in some ways...i thought we really competed...i thought we played unselfishly...we shared the ball...guys making shots because they got in a rhythm and felt good"

"i thought we really responded...it was really a high level basketball game...we shoot 51 percent against a team that's 4th in the country in field goal (defense) perecentage...so we're obviously doing some things well...it's just sad to see it end but you can't fault the effort of these guys"

-mike montgomery
Shocky1
the following press release was issued by the stanford ad bernard muir:

"after considerable analysis in conjunction with the stanford economic department (we do not have an undergraduate business major) it is clear after reviewing supply (an overabundance of empty seats) vs demand (declining) that the men's basketball team's home game revenues are not being optimized at this point"

"therefore effective immediately all preseason stanford basketball games will be played at south park hs (seating capacity 392) in an effort to create a cozy, loud home court advantage"

"while it is undeniably true that playing the pac 12 slate at a predominantly empty maples pavilion will create a home court advantage for visiting pac 12 institutions, the fiscal impact and influx of capital generated by predominantly affluent and good looking cal fans cannot be ignored and its signficant impact upon the palo alto economic footprint"

"i would also like to take this opportunity to 100% reaffirm my support for johnny dawkins...there will be no further comment from this office regarding coach dawkins and his contractual employment with this department until the cardinals are once again mathematically eliminated from the ncaa field of 65 teams tournament"

this is stanford basketball#
adios johnny#

congratulations johnny dawkins on leading his cards to the sweet sixteen with his 1st ncca team during his 6 yrs in palo alto

dawkins is considered a good guy but a questionable x's & o's guy particularly with under 5 minutes less in a game but this season proves he deserves a multi yr (at least 10) contract from ad muir

there is zero doubt now that johnny will return the cards to the ncca tnt again during the next 6 yrs

hola johnny#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842297256 said:

smu's campus in affluent highland park is only a few minutes north of the the dallas skyline so i drove downtown after the game for a late nite drive with the windows down along jfk's route in 1963...i found a r&b oldies station on my rental radio & listened to marvin gaye's "what's going on" with images of the zapruder film in my head

cal family#

Quite beautiful . . . Kind of like "There Was a Time", by James Brown. I wouldn't have expected that level of poetry from Shocky.
R.Hobbs
"There was a time" ...what a great song. not particularly meaningful lyrics as the title suggests but it gets you moving..
HoopDreams
as they say, the biggest jump for basketball players are when freshmen become sophomores

Today, the Cal Monster class officially become sophomores
The future is here

Shocky1
jay john told me after halftime when we returned to our seats behind the cal bench that he tried to get a selfie taken with bush jr but he was told that ain't gonna happen by the secret service, navy seals, etc. protective service detail

i dunno, jj probably make a strategic mistake in telling george's bodyguards that he's the non biological step brother of the former potus...hello?... crazytown

i would've just slipped the armed guys with earpieces a couple of benjamins & told them to go get some coffee or something while i talked with the man

national security#
Shocky1
2011 pac 12 mvp jorge gutierrez's legacy includes being one of the greatest teammates in cal bb history

his road from mexico to berkeley (with a degree) to brooklyn to his next nba roster spot is a tale of relentless perserverance regardless of the odds...and this remarkable story's chapters are still being written daily...

sam singer had better play with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind if he's gonna wear #2

cal family#
the grind#

jorge has signed a multi year contract (next season not guaranteed) with j kidd's brooklyn nets making him the 3rd califronia golden bears along with ryan anderson & alan crabbe on nba rosters

gutierrez is gonna need the $ after being fined $15k by the commish for a hard (deemed flagrant) foul while on his last 10 day contract paying $28,874 before taxes

if a hard azz hombre from mexico who later attended an academically mediocre hs in colorado can graduate from cal in 4 yrs by taking full advantage of cal's passionate academic support staff & resources, then the #1 ranked public university in the world has achieved their mission statement of creating wildly successful opportunities for those from disadvantaged backgrounds that wanna make their dreams come true

this is cal basketball#
un******* unbreakable#
mikecohen
R.Hobbs;842297725 said:

"There was a time" ...what a great song. not particularly meaningful lyrics as the title suggests but it gets you moving..

And it moves you emotionally as well as physically. That's the poetic mystery of that song. The words are almost so simple as to be virtually meaningless (i.e., back in the old days, we used to dance and have fun); but, by some magic, the song carries an overwhelming nostalgic sadness. I don't know, maybe something about James' voice. I mean, half the time, even with great songs, the lyrics (even when intelligible) have almost nothing to add to the great music. I don't know of another song like this where utterly simple lyrics combine with ostensibly frivolous dance music to produce a powerful emotional effect. Maybe Gretchen at the Spinning Wheel by Schubert.
Shocky1
nurse wicked says k(rooks) suffered a microfracture in his foot during the arizona game while banging inside against zeus yet played thru the pain & is done for this season

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

unbreakable#

nurse wicked says that k(rooks) & spongebob squarepants will be ready for action by mid april (cast off april 14th) as long as they avoid the krusty krab & their krabby patty burgers

marine biology#
Shocky1

sorry jakob, you're now my 3rd favorite austrian

applications#
HoopDreams
Defense does count in the NBA....

Jorge Gutierrez helped lay the foundation for the Cal Monster class

Shocky1
"congrats to my man jorge on signing a multi year deal with the nets...much deserved"

-alan crabbe

Shocky1
congrats to jay john's son trevor (signed with cal poly for next season) on scoring 23 pts including 6 3 pters as the monte vista mustangs (32-1) galloped to a d1 state championship over the centennial (corona) huskies 66-55
HoopDreams
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842298148 said:

congrats to jay john's son trevor (signed with cal poly for next season) on scoring 23 pts including 6 3 pters as the monte vista mustangs (32-1) galloped to a d1 state championship over the centennial (corona) huskies 66-55

Thanks for this information about someone in the Cal family. This is more proof that if there is anything worth knowing about Cal basketball, you can find it on the Monster thread!

And Trevor will be going to a school which already has NCAA tournament experience.

(I have been having trouble lately remembering whether it is Jay John or John Jay, and you have cleared that up for me as well)

Gracias, amigo.

Go Bears (and their family members)
Shocky1
SFCityBear;842298238 said:

Thanks for this information about someone in the Cal family. This is more proof that if there is anything worth knowing about Cal basketball, you can find it on the Monster thread!

And Trevor will be going to a school which already has NCAA tournament experience.

(I have been having trouble lately remembering whether it is Jay John or John Jay, and you have cleared that up for me as well)

Gracias, amigo.

Go Bears (and their family members)

sfcity, the top rated morning radio dj here in the valley of the sun is a dude named john jay so i also sometimes transpose jay john too

that's why i cal him jj...dummy proof, right?

jay told me that a few yrs ago trevor went to him & asked if he would work with him on his bb development...you gotta appreciate that major arizona donors that i play golf with regard jj as the braintrust during lute's incredible run in tuscon

jay told trevor he would work with him under one condition, that he would treat him like a prospect, not his son with real talk all the time even if it hurt his feelings...trevor agreed & jj transformed his son from a kid with modest bb skills (his future in baseball was actually brighter) into a mid level d1 sharpshooting prospect with a full ride scholly to a ncca tnt team

among the reasons cal's monster class is going to rapidly accelerate are the genuine trust/friendships they have built with each other & the team but also the honest mentoring/feedback (which has been a problem with some bears in the past) they are receiving from their families with bb backgrounds at the nba, college & coaching levels

real talk#
transparency#
Shocky1
taking the oakland airport rental car center shuttle to the terminal after the colorado victory i saw a guy wearing a cal hat so i asked him how he returned his car so quickly since i basically burned rubber in my red (sigh) avis mustang after sprinting out of haas

he laughed & doug mitchell, the successful bb hc at bishop montgomery, told me that like myself he flew in & out to celebrate the sr day festivities for his 2 former knights, justin cobbs & richard solomon...he's proud of both guys (even though solo transferred for his sr yr to price because of a disagreement...both rich & his dad disagreed with mitchell's assessment that solo was a 5, they felt he would be more effective as a stretch 4 or even a big shooting wing 3) & respects their academic achievements...doug mitchell gets it, he's not some dumb azz street agent trying to hook his players up at bb factories (where they are used up like equipment & discarded with shaky futures)

doug mitchell told me that 6'3" 2015 shooting guard stephen thompson jr has a 4.5 gpa (he is competing to become class valedictorian) & has shot 42% on 3 pters & 72% on fts this season for the 24-6 knights...he says stephen is a high character young man & needs to make s&c strides to reach his vast potential

both travis decuire & gregg gottlieb are running pt on thompson's recruitment who has offers from vanderbilt, usc, gonzaga, creighton, asu, san diego state, colorado, boston college, etc.

thompson's dad was a star at syracuse & later played in the nba (guys who played in the league understand that the nba is a cruel biz & that a player's career can end in a split second injury)

because of the thompson's family huge emphasis upon academics, mitchell thinks that at the end of the day this will be a cal vs stanford decision

sharpshooter stephen thompson jr lasered the nets for 20 pts along with 4 assists, 3 steals & 2 blocks as the much more experienced bishop montgomery knights (28-6, all losses to open teams) led by lord doug mitchell jousted 85-44 the young moreau catholic mariners (27-7) to capture the california d4 championship
Shocky1
damari milstead (cal offer, td loves this guy) scored 9 pts & oscar frayer (close to a cal offer, needs to work harder in the classroom) scored 10 pts with 6 boards & 3 blocks in the state championship game

damari is a freshman & oscar is a sophomore and both are considered national top 50 players in their classes

when i was a freshman i asked the prettiest girl at my hs if she wanted to go steady with me...she tells me she is flattered by my interest, that she already has a boyfriend & that she hopes we will still continue to talk all the time & that i make her laugh...basically she tells me no, epic failure

so that afternoon at baseball practice while shagging balls in the outfield i tell my best friend what went down

brusati is shaking his head & tells me "shock, you are seriously the most ****** up dude on earth...she's a senior, we're freshmen...you can't even drive yet...she already has a boyfriend, he's the starting quarterback and he drives a bitchin' camaro...and knowing you, it probably never even occurred to you that she was gonna say no"

right

fast forward 7 yrs & i'm getting ready to graduate from the cal undergraduate haas b-school with phi beta kappa honors & have firm actionable career offers in london, new york city & san francisco...she tracks me down thru my parents & asks me if we could start dating

damari & oscar, don't ever let nobody tell you nothing that you're just a young man, ok?

tower of power#

First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.