cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,461 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842360668 said:

you go, girl#

mo'ne davis told reporters during the little league world series that someday she would like to play for the perennial national champs women's basketball connecticut huskies

so uconn hc geno auriemma called mo'ne to offer her props & encouragement & now it's been ruled a ncca illegal recruiting contact violation

where's the love?#

Go NCAA! Way to get right on that, way to go after the important offenders.
antipattern
Gonna put forward the opposite point of view: This is a girl that has said she wants to play college basketball, and is obviously a first-class athlete. Auriemma knows perfectly well he'll be recruiting her in a few years, and taking the opportunity to call her as he did was a cynical attempt to create a relationship earlier than he is supposed to. Yes, the NCAA is a joke, but he knew exactly what he was doing and deserves whatever half-assed discipline gets meted out.
Shocky1

brandon sampson is an explosively smooth 6'4" 170 lbs top 40 2015 guard from baton rouge's madison prep that is blowing up this summer on the aau circuit

a pac 12 coach told me that sampson could potentially be 2 & done & that he projects as a strong nba prospect

the biggest decision in this recruitment is whether or not he wants to play at lsu (which is 10 minutes from his house & a former hs teammate jarell martin plays for the tigers) or does he want to maybe get out of the south & experience something new & get a world class education?

pretty sure I know what snoop dogg's decision would be

sampson's 5 official visits will likelly be to cal (huf is his guy), lsu (sept 19th tigers football weekend with mom), st johns (october 17th) and both ucla & usc (has never experienced high levels of air pollution before)

brandon will be officially visiting berkeley the weekend of the sept 26th colorado home football game
http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/brandon-sampson-having-in-homes-will-visit-st-johns/#more-121677

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the south)
Shocky1

http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_26539451/oakland-soldiers-set-tone-college-basketball-recruiting-bay

salute mark olivier#
seasons change#
MoragaBear
Staff
I talked to Sampson's coach the other day and to Sampson tonight (story to come). It really didn't sound to me like LSU has any edge with him. He didn't grow up going to their games and he's not getting much pressure to stay home and go there.

Really likes Cuonzo and Yanni a lot and the fact that they established strong relationships with him before coming to Cal helps a lot. Neither Tennessee or Vandy are in it with him, either.

As for SC and UCLA, he has some interest but he doesn't have any visits set up and doesn't know if he'll visit either school.

He'll be at St. LSU this weekend.
Shocky1
during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

latest update from eugene:

*jaquan lyle, 2.5 gpa & suspended for fighting in high school is no longer listed on the oregon basketball roster because of admissions/eligibility issues

*ray kosongo has been denied admission by the university's special admission board

*mike moser, jason caliste, johnathan lloyd, richard amardi & waverly austin used up their eligiblity...not clear if any of them will ever earn an oregon diploma

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...when confronted by the media, altman claimed he checked austin's background but did not know he raped a girl while at providence...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar, considering transferring & currently not participating in team activities...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed

*dominic artis will be transferring from oregon...dominic attended cal's last pac 12 home game at haas vs usc...i was speaking with his former hs ad at salesian chad nightingale (played wr for the bears) when da came over & said hello, it was clear to me that he wanted to speak privately with chad...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student...dismissed & currently attending contra costa cc as a student while practicing (but not playing) for the bb team

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

bearmanpg
Artis is actually at Diablo Valley College while practicing and not playing.
Shocky1
pete dye's spectacular teeth of the dog in la romana remains the #1 course in the carribean...it ain't got holes next to the ocean, it has 7 holes de la playa

the nicklaus group design at punta espada in cap cana is now my #2 ranked course although a tighter more walkable routing would have made it a stronger world top 100 candidate

la galleria bonita de shocky

la famila de bears#
Shocky1

cal basketball practice#
concordtom
Shocky1;842361210 said:

Good clip, good song!
Memories...
Shocky1
So in "Shocky's World" to go back to BB for a minute, could you give your estimation (and I just would like "your" best guess, call it) of what happens in Cal BB recruiting in the next two to three years:

1) Who do you think we have a "lock on"?

2) Who are we in the top two to three schools on?

3) Who is an outside shot, a surprise so to speak, pleasant at that?

4) What do you see as our greatest disappointment?

I am trying to sort out all the recruits you have shown from time to time, and then equate how Cuonzo and staff are reportedly making a great reputation, to visualize where we might wind up.
That bearing in mind that I loved MM as a game day and practice coach, plus as a communicator, but not as a recruiter. There seems to be an exciting aura around Cal BB right now, and I am
just wondering how grounded that thought is. Yes, you are presenting many of our "possibilities", but what do you see as our reality? I am assuming we are pretty much there with IR, but maybe
in a 50/50 battle with a national powerhouse. How do you see it? And if it helps, I am not suggesting you divulge supposed privileged information (although I would love that too), but to give your
current opinion based on everything you know. Thanks.

odonto, i get it, you wanna know the how the story ends, you wanna read the final pages of the book to see how it turns out but that's not gonna happen, that's not how life works...there are a lot of moving parts

recruiting is like relationships: seasons change, people change & some people are never gonna change

but be assured the cuonzo martin & staff are trying to build the california golden bears basketball program around ivan rabb...cuonzo's 1st in home visit during the november open period was with ivan at bod & martin followed up with another in house visit at the rabb home last wednesday

if this happens, the bears will be potentially competing for a national championship in 2015

this **** is getting live

the time is now#
OdontoBear66
Thanks Shocky. Patience is certainly not one of my virtues. Hope it all plays out as an optimistic look projects.
Shocky1
who really is ivan rabb?

perhaps a clue or two can be found in this ktvu channel 2 video news report
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/bay-area-high-school-preps-basketball-star-future-/nhL2B/

listen to how an articulate, composed & thoughtful young ivee talks about his love, respect & appreciation for his mom often working 2-3 jobs at a time to support their family

tami rabb=mom of the year

salute#
Shocky1
who really is ivan rabb?

bod's team manager/assistant coach last season lucas cortez has a heart defect which is kinda surprising because he seems to have the heart of 10,000 ferocious golden bears

so when the senior (lucas is #14) finally got into a game late in the season, check out the reaction of ivan (#23) when something magical happened

ivan's ecstatic celebration (1st teammate to run onto the court) tells you all you gotta know about him, the dragons all american is unselfish & loves his teammates

so after the ucla game at haas last season, i asked bod hc lou richie (a ucla grad & a tight friend with theo robertson) who brought all his dragons to berkeley if he would introduce me to my idol (lucas, of course...donors can never speak with any potential recruits)...richie introduces me to the man of the hour & i tell an enthusiastic lucas he's got a sweet j & that he's an inspiration to me and everyone...the personable lucas thanks me & then humbly introduces me to the guy he thinks deserves all the credit, his teammate who took the video of this epic event...i tell his teammate that clips from the video are going viral & that he's gonna be a hollywood producer someday riding in stretch limos...all the dragons including ivan are laughing in agreement about that

go dragons#
the unassuming superstar#
HoopDreams

[SIZE=6]Rep the Bay[/SIZE]
Shocky1
gotta give the wildcas props for battling to the end but tuscon is still a dump

tuscon ain't got much to offer other than my favorite golfer

but i enjoyed the midnite drive with the wind in my mind & the tunes cranked up going a million miles a hour with the the top down on a beautiful desert nite on the straighaway i-10 from tuscon back to north scottsdale...a chance to meditate, a chance to reflect
Shocky1
who really is ivan rabb?

ivan attended montera middle school in the oakland public school district & was not academically prepared for the college preparatory schoolwork required at bishop o'dowd...as a freshman big ivee's gpa was 1.8 the 1st semester & 2.8 the 2nd semester as tami rabb's son then started attending tutoring sessions both before & after school...dragons bb hc lou richie & the bod teachers/administration also deserve credit for fostering an intellectual curiousity & a successful academic gameplan for ivan

rabb now carries a very solid 3.15 gpa at the academically rigorous bod in his quest to be well balanced individual, a true student athlete & not just some dumb azz baller

ivan's career interests include becoming a real estate developer (his brother tamarik is interested in architecture) down the road & his academic achievements will further him along this journey

a mind is a terrible thing to waste

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)
Shocky1

brandon, you may be a great teammate with 3 point range to the vip section of the nightclub & a true student athlete but if your cute beauty pageant winning filipina girlfriend can benchpress more than you, then you gotta build up your body with overtime s&c work with nicodemus

your parents & sister are pretty proud of you
http://www.sportsmanias.com/news/california-bears/getting-to-know-brandon-chauca-california-golden-bears/54136d0bf7ed2fed570000d6

hina kachun

cal family#
HoopDreams
It ain't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, the Cal women's basketball team who showed the Nation that Cal can reach the elite level when they went to the Final Four of the NCAA tournament, and continue to recruit top student athletes...

Gabby Green - 5 star, Mikayla Cowling - 5 star

Shocky1
alex illikainen, a forward facing 4 from minnesota has made a commitment to wisconsin over iowa

illikainen was a priority recruit for gregg gottlieb & made an official visit to cal with his parents for the dramatic arizona upset but was not a key target for the current staff
Shocky1
cuonzo martin is personally handling the recruitment of caleb swanigan, a top 10 2015 strongman from fort wayne, indiana...swanigan is known for his relentless rebounding motor & back to the basket power game along with a skillful soft touch from the perimeter with a nba future upside

caleb is 6'8" 275 lbs after losing 75 lbs from his days as a 6'4" 350 lbs middle schooler...at that time he left his family in utah to live with his current guardian roosevelt barnes jr, a former nfl player, who has mentored swanigan's healthier diet & dedicated cardio program

roosevelt barnes jr (also a 4 year player on the purdue basketball team) & cuonzo martin have a strong longtime friendship

swanigan has been offered by virtually every major program in the country including kentucky & local favorite michigan state (which is hedging its bet in the cb sweepstakes via izzo's active recruitment of wisconsin elite 5 henry ellenson)...the only official visit planned at this time is to surprisingly enough, chicago state, which was the 1st school to offer him back in the day

dude is a smart guy, by working diligently in the classroom during summer school, swanigan has reclassified from the 2016 to the 2015 class...last season he had a 20 ppg & 12 rpg at homestead hs in fort wayne

caleb played on the usa team in dubai with bay area superstar ivan rabb & shot an unreal 69.6% for the victorious american team

swanigan's in homes visits to date include cal, michigan state, kentucky, pittsburgh, ucla, arizona, notre dame, purdue, auburn, new mexico, missouri, north carolina state with michigan & alabama scheduled for this week

the key factor in this recruitment will be for cuonzo to secure an official visit from caleb to berkeley...if that happens, anything is possible at that point

diamond in the rough#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the midwest)
Shocky1
mike montgomery-orinda country club hacker/pac 12 color broadcaster
travis decuire-university of montana head coach
gregg gottlieb-oregon state assistant coach
john montgomery-university of san francisco director of basketball operations
theo roberton-golden state warriors multi tasker
scott thom-washington state strength & conditioning coach

these guys along with jay john led cal basketball to its most successful run in the modern era

seasons in the sun#
off to the races#
Shocky1
there is a buzz around the cal basketball program, something special is going on, something special is being built

now is the time to call 1-800-gobears & have a conversation re: a season tix package that fits your budget & schedule

watching all the games on tv doesn't create any energy at haas or generate any revenues for the program...get emotionally involved & help escalate the roar at haas in person, life is too short to be a detached observer, get your azz off the sofa

there is room for EVERYONE (including fools & dumb azzs like me) in the cal basketball family

if you are under 30, this is your video
if you are over 70, this is your video

this ain't some little private club or something

all you gotta do is roar a little bit

is haas your palace?

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public & most diverse university in the world[
socaltownie
SCT Junior and I will be at

Cal Poly
Zona
@ Fresnick (likely - gotta convince wife it is OK to stop and watch hoops on drive back from inlaws ;-)
@UCLA
@ASU
And likely in Vegas.

Hoping for more - just have to see how youth sports schedules break this year (SCT Junior is starting rugby with the grand hope of his father that a) Jack Clark is still coaching in 10 years and b) Junior gets into UCB and wants to play the sport for the living legend)
Shocky1
check out jabari bird getting challenged by track star (and former bears softball player) khala taylor at cal basketball's student challenge

the best teams play together fearlessly with smiles on their faces like little kids playing basketball

make sure you get out to sproul plaza (which is gonna have a hoop set up) this friday between noon and 1:00 pm & meet the guys while winning some prizes & stuff during the colorado pep rally with the cal band & cheerleaders

so you think you can clownpunk tyrone wallace with your mad basketball skills, this is your chance

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
a 4th walk on (a big from texas) will be joining cole welle, nick hamilton & brenden glapion this season (garrett galvin is no longer on the team) for the california golden bears

the new bear will be arriving shortly

cal family#
Shocky1
many thx to current interim athletic director michael williams for keeping the seat warm for me

negotiations are moving along with chancellor nicky d & his crew in my pursuit of being named the next athletic director at the university of california, berkeley

among the sticking points:

***my financial strategy of restructuring the $400m+ memorial stadium renovation debt via venture capital investments in start ups along with london & manhattan commercial real estate holdings is viewed as too speculative...the next ad needs to be a much stronger hands on fiscal manager, not a super fan traveling 40 weeks of the yr to the women's field hockey match in tulsa in order to cheer on the team

***all cal non revenue sports would need to be 80% financially self supporting via donations/fund raising within the next 5 yrs, no exceptions, or become a club sport...all existing schollys for current student athletes would be honored thru graduation

***a cal bb alumni game featuring jason kidd, kevin johnson, shareef abdur rahim, jorge gutierrez, ryan anderson, tony gonzalez, leon powe, max zhang, leonard taylor, sean lampley, alan crabbe, russ critchfield, jerome randle, patrick christopher, yogi stewart, sean marks, al grigsby, richard midgley, michael chavez, ayinde ubaka, joe ship, mark mcnamara, carl bird, theo robertson, keith smith, harper kamp, francisco elson, jamal boykin, larry friend, phil chenier, darall imhoff, matt beeuwsaert, butch hays, gene ransom, charles johnson, roy fisher, michael pitts, ryan forehan kelly, brian wethers, ed gray, lamond murray, jackie ridgle, ansley truitt, jon wheeler, kevin singleton, monty buckley, doug vilotti, devon hardin, richard butler, dennis gates, doug true, brian hendrcks, aj digs, robert thurman, prentice mcgruder, monty buckley, justin labagh & the 1959/1960 final four teams would be played at a sold out haas in 2015...assistant coach slots on the bench would be sold for $10,000 donations, marshawn lynch would be the game's only ref & there would be a halftime musical performance by the souls of mischief in conjunction with the cal band...the game would also be aired on the pac 12 network

cal bb has an untapped goldmine of potential donor support from its highly successful bb alumni group because of its inability to stay connected with former players, that needs to change...every former bear needs a personal phone call welcoming them back to berkeley, that's what great organizations do to ensure a strong legacy (and that's the essence of the recruiting message to ivan, "what do you want your legacy to be?")

***the costly & unsuccessful baseball team program would be discontinued immediately with evans diamond converted into a short game practice area with putting greens & bunker areas (designed by bill coore) for the men's & women's golf teams (and myself)

***oski would be my 2nd in command as the deputy associate athletic director once he gets out of rehab

***my commitment to assist with the recruiting of qualified student athletes for the dance & cheerleading squads has been labeled as "inappropriate" behavior for an ad...asu would be the model, everyone knows the sun devils have the smartest, best looking & most athletic women on planet earth...adios diane milano, you can start packing up your stuff now

***current efforts to secure a cypress point membership for me have proven unsuccessful...this is a non negotiable point as part of my compensation package, not gonna leave the desert w/o a cypress bag tag...an annual pass at top golf ain't gonna cut it

***the rebranding of cal athletics...all cal uniforms, facilities, letterhead, etc. would clearly state the athletic department's new mission statement for the university of california, berkeley: "don't be a dumbazz"

this **** is gonna be live

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Vineyardview
Brandon Sampson's official starts Friday. Speculation has it that Tyler Dorsey might join him on campus this weekend. Will he (they) arrive in time to make an appearance at Sproul Plaza and be encouraged to join the Bears?

Shocky1;842364734 said:

check out jabari bird getting challenged by track star (and former bears softball player) khala taylor at cal basketball's student challenge

the best teams play together fearlessly with smiles on their faces like little kids playing basketball

make sure you get out to sproul plaza (which is gonna have a hoop set up) this friday between noon and 1:00 pm & meet the guys while winning some prizes & stuff during the colorado pep rally with the cal band & cheerleaders

so you think you can clownpunk tyrone wallace with your mad basketball skills, this is your chance

this is cal basketball#
oskihasahearton
Put sousaphone players on scholarship and recruit 12 strong.
MoragaBear
Staff
Vineyardview;842364814 said:

Brandon Sampson's official starts Friday. Speculation has it that Tyler Dorsey might join him on campus this weekend. Will he (they) arrive in time to make an appearance at Sproul Plaza and be encouraged to join the Bears?

That's not going to happen. It will just be Sampson.
Vineyardview
rumor seem creditable - what happened?
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842364938 said:

rumor seem creditable - what happened?

not all of huf's strategic recuiting plans are gonna unfold exactly as planned

life ain't linear#
ccajon
Shocky1;842363979 said:

alex illikainen, a forward facing 4 from minnesota has made a commitment to wisconsin over iowa

illikainen was a priority recruit for gregg gottlieb & made an official visit to cal with his parents for the dramatic arizona upset but was not a key target for the current staff

Funny how in the world according to Shocky, when one of our targeted recruits commits elsewhere, as have all of them so far, they were suddenly not a key target of the current staff. What's the excuse going to be in late spring when we still don't have a single commit, and Rabb commits to Kentucky. lmao..what a cluster **** this thread is.
bonsallbear
Don't be a dumbazz
MoragaBear
Staff
Well Illikainen really wasn't recruited by this staff and didn't have an offer from them, so there's that.

Re Dorsey, unless something changes later this week, he won't be here this weekend but will stick to his planned official in October.
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.