cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,367,581 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have evolved in my view of Shocky. I find a lot of this thread disttasteful. I find the raging on those of us that watch on TV FROM 494 miles away to be kind the height of hypocrisy. I have a much different value structure than the Shockster when it comes to personal possessions, what I take pride in and what gives me pleasure.

And yet, all that said, the Shockster puts his money where his mouth is. We NEED people that are passionate about Cal sports to step up. He could have stopped this exercise some 300 pages ago. He doesn't need to post info on our recruits HS games. He doesn't need to relentless promote the program. He does. And for that, warts and all, I salute him.

Yes, Shockster has Yoga. I have rereading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance. We all have ways to refind our center.
concordtom
Y'all are crazy.
Ends justifies the means much?

Sorry, but I could turn things around and say that I run a country club, and I want to run a nice clean establishment, see? I don't want any riff raff around here, cause we need people here willing to spend big bucks so our profits go sky high. So, no people with this trait or that trait. We want our customers associating themselves with the right kind of folk.

gee, you know what, all this talk makes me want to break out in song!

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show.
To feel that warm thrill of confusion,
That space cadet glow.
I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
And they sent us along as a surrogate band
We're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of you shot!

...so, bring out the dancing girls! Show us some tit!
Shocky1
caleb swanigan scored 21 points with 9 boards as the homestead spartans (25-2) tea partied the jay county patriots 51-35 somewhere in the absolutely miserable & cold azz midwest

reason big sauce isn't smiling is because his azz is frozen

89Bear
OldBlue1999;842464971 said:

I have to side with Shocky because this is a message board on the internet. If you think he's too arrogant or vain or don't like looking at pictures of scantily-clad women or golf courses block him and don't click on the thread. Problem solved. I personally would never block anyone or let them get into my head too much but everyone is different. But I also have to admit that I admire his willingness to put himself out there publicly behind his mission of trying to push the program forward and hopefully on to new heights, so he's kinda skewed my ability to be impartial towards him. Go Bears!

Well put. We NEED crazy, passionate fans who will step up and do something. If parts of them rub you the wrong way, deal with it!!! Are YOU doing more productive things for the program???
parentswerebears
Any Cal fan is a good Cal fan. Period.
NewYorkCityBear
89Bear;842465069 said:

Well put. We NEED crazy, passionate fans who will step up and do something. If parts of them rub you the wrong way, deal with it!!! Are YOU doing more productive things for the program???

OldBlue1999;842464971 said:

I have to side with Shocky because this is a message board on the internet. If you think he's too arrogant or vain or don't like looking at pictures of scantily-clad women or golf courses block him and don't click on the thread. Problem solved. I personally would never block anyone or let them get into my head too much but everyone is different. But I also have to admit that I admire his willingness to put himself out there publicly behind his mission of trying to push the program forward and hopefully on to new heights, so he's kinda skewed my ability to be impartial towards him. Go Bears!

Please explain how one blocks another's posts. I haven't figured that out yet. It would be awesome to be able to block Shocky, and you, and anyone else who believes it's okay to be a homophobic sexist asshole as long as they're a Cal fan.
NewYorkCityBear
Yeah, right.

Shocky1;842464954 said:

anybody who knows me well with tell you that i'm very clearly not homophobic

Shocky1;842464438 said:

ok, i don't think chapman & nycbear are making solid fashion outfit choices, they can do better than that...pretty sure the cat is kinda unhappy about viewing such as "an embarrassing line up"

these dudes have obviously never been to fashion week in milan...i dunno, maybe they could get matching manbags or something

what not to wear#

89Bear
NewYorkCityBear;842465089 said:

Please explain how one blocks another's posts. I haven't figured that out yet. It would be awesome to be able to block Shocky, and you, and anyone else who believes it's okay to be a homophobic sexist asshole as long as a Cal fan.

Come on. The continued fit you are throwing does not make YOU look very good. State your unhappiness and move on. Getting this bent out of shape is pretty sad. Or just don't hang out here.
NewYorkCityBear
89Bear;842465069 said:

89Bear;842465099 said:

Come on. The continued fit you are throwing does not make YOU look very good. State your unhappiness and move on. Getting this bent out of shape is pretty sad. Or just don't hang out here.

No seriously. How do I block assholes like Shocky and people like you who believe his shameful posts are acceptable. As a long time member of this forum I would love to know.
MisterNoodle

Please explain how one blocks another's posts. I haven't figured that out yet. It would be awesome to be able to block Shocky, and you, and anyone else who believes it's okay to be a homophobic sexist asshole as long as they're a Cal fan.

Good for you, NYCB. I admire you for sticking to your core values.
NYCGOBEARS
MisterNoodle;842465105 said:

Good for you, NYCB. I admire you for sticking to your core values.

+1
Shocky1
+2
OldBlue1999

So I should support the guy who threatens violence instead? And I should lump everyone showing support for you into that little box and assume they're violent brutes too? No thanks, I'd rather have the intellect and perspective to realize there are more reasons for supporting a position than wholesale adoption of a viewpoint.
Go!Bears
NewYorkCityBear;842465100 said:

No seriously. How do I block assholes like Shocky and people like you who believe his shameful posts are acceptable. As a long time member of this forum I would love to know.

I suspect you don't mean it, but it is easy. Click on his handle, view profile. Once there select "Add to Ignore List"

Or, you could just stay away from this thread. After 373 pages, we all know what it is going to be like. You come here, you can't be surprised at what you'll find.
HoopDreams

[SIZE=5]okay, this confirms that Ivan likes Nike[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]All PAC 12[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Congrats Ty![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
NewYorkCityBear
89Bear;842465069 said:

Go!Bears;842465121 said:

I suspect you don't mean it, but it is easy. Click on his handle, view profile. Once there select "Add to Ignore List"

Seriously, thank you. Post of the day. Thank you for this!!!
Shocky1

Big C
Go!Bears;842465121 said:

Or, you could just stay away from this thread. After 373 pages, we all know what it is going to be like. You come here, you can't be surprised at what you'll find.

Seriously. It's no wonder we can't beat other teams: We're too busy beating on each other. People ought to save a little of this hostility for the REAL enemies, like Stanfurd. Or ___________ (fill in the blank, with names of actual dumb azzes).

Go Bears!
NewYorkCityBear
89Bear;842465069 said:

Big C_Cal;842465156 said:

Seriously. It's no wonder we can't beat other teams: We're too busy beating on each other. People ought to save a little of this hostility for the REAL enemies, like Stanfurd. Or ___________ (fill in the blank, with names of actual dumb azzes).

Go Bears!

Both of my parents went to Stanford. They were neither homophobic nor sexist. They were fine people who never debased anyone.
Big C
NewYorkCityBear;842465173 said:

Both of my parents went to Stanford. They were neither homophobic nor sexist. They were fine people who never debased anyone.

Some of my best friends went to Stanford (as the saying goes). The third week in November every year, I debase them with impunity. It's not personal; it's about the rivalry.

I may not love the sh!t out of every person who went to Cal, but they're my Golden Bear brothers and sisters. We're all on the same team.
Shocky1
the bears are actively targeting 6'4" 175 lbs 2015 shooting guard tyson jolly from putnam city west hs in oklahoma city...jolly is an active defender with a strong handle & a reliable shooting stroke

around a year ago last february tyson was rushed to the hospital for what turned out to be blood clots on his lungs & the doc told him he would never play basketball again...yeah, both he & coach martin probably aren't big fans of hospital beds or giving up

dude is unbreakable both mentally & physically...jolly is arguably the fastest rising senior in the 2015 class with a 20 point & 9 rebounds average and is expected to be rated as a top 100 player in the final class rankings

huf is talking to tyson daily & it's expected that he will officially visit cal along with a couple of other colleges on his other quickly expanding schools list after his season is over...tyson is a pretty good student with a 3.1 gpa & is coachable both on & off the court

unlike a lot of elite players that myopically think they are gonna just ball out for 10 minutes in college before heading to the nba, tyson fully understands that basketball can be taken away from you at any point, that your playing days can be over in a blink of an eye injury...boom, you're done playing basketball forever & then you gotta use your education to still reach all your dreams in life

yeah, jolly is the mentally tough kinda guy the cal basketball program is gonna build around & his offer from the staff is an actionable one...tyson's last 12 months have been a real rollercoaster but the gates to his unlimited future are wide open

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public university in the world (including freezing azz oklahoma)
Bobodeluxe
Km
Shocky1;842465204 said:

the bears are actively targeting 6'4" 175 lbs 2015 shooting guard tyson jolly from putnam city west hs in oklahoma city...jolly is an active defender with a strong handle & a reliable shooting stroke

around a year ago last february tyson was rushed to the hospital for what turned out to be blood clots on his lungs & the doc told him he would never play basketball again...yeah, both he & coach martin probably aren't big fans of hospital beds or giving up

dude is unbreakable both mentally & physically...jolly is arguably the fastest rising senior in the 2015 class with a 20 point & 9 rebounds average and is expected to be rated as a top 100 player in the final class rankings

huf is talking to tyson daily & it's expected that he will officially visit cal along with a couple of other colleges on his other quickly expanding schools list after his season is over...tyson is a pretty good student with a 3.1 gpa & is coachable both on & off the court

unlike a lot of elite players that myopically think they are gonna just ball out for 10 minutes in college before heading to the nba, tyson fully understands that basketball can be taken away from you at any point, that your playing days can be over in a blink of an eye injury...boom, you're done playing basketball forever & then you gotta use your education to still reach all your dreams in life

yeah, jolly is the mentally tough kinda guy the cal basketball program is gonna build around & his offer from the staff is an actionable one...tyson's last 12 months have been a real rollercoaster but the gates to his unlimited future are wide open

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public university in the world (including freezing azz oklahoma)

He might want to stay at home and bask in the local upsurge in Southern Culture.
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842465207 said:

Km

He might wasn't to stay at home and bask in the local upsurge in Southern Culture.

agreed, there's a lot to love about charming oklahoma & the beautiful midwest/south these days

but i dunno, he might like california better, who knows
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842465209 said:

agreed, there's a lot to love about charming oklahoma & the beautiful midwest/south these days

but i dunno, he might like california better, who knows

Obviously, another blizzard of Northern Aggression.
parentswerebears
Tyson, Oklahoma sucks. I won't even think about moving there to be with family. California is so much better.
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842465228 said:

Tyson, Oklahoma sucks. I won't even think about moving there to be with family. California is so much better.

uhhh, tyson already lives in oklahoma city
concordtom
NewYorkCityBear;842465100 said:

One way of dealing is to ignore injustices, slights, and just go away.
But that isn't very Berkeley, is it?
We just celebrated the 50th anniversary of Selma and crossing that bridge. Those protectors didn't look the other way. They protested something clearly wrong.
Perhaps you could come on here and destroy the monster thread with various posts until you got the recant and apology that is, I think, deserved.
You're not alone in being bothered. Shocky gets tons of praise for his very real tangible AND vocal support of our team! But he is a mess when it comes to certain aspects of his approach.

Shocky, I challenge you to simply apologize and say you were wrong and won't do it again. I recently made a post that you informed me via PM could be construed as racist. I thanked you and quickly took down the pun before it could be replied to and saved forever in the thread. Why not just take the high road and be done with it? Maybe your followers will see the wisdom in doing the same. We can be all the following at the same time: Cal basketball fans, interesting reading for recruits and their families, and responsible citizens to all classes of people.
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842465231 said:

He might want to stay and study States Rights as a major.
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842465231 said:

So does my brother in law. I feel sorry for all of them.
OldBlue1999
It says a lot more about some of you than it does Shocky that you see that photo as incontrovertible proof that he's a homophobe. Shocky never commented on the sexual orientation of the men in the photo. To the contrary, Bobo chided him to stick to fashion and his commentary was exclusively about their fashion. Is it possible he was alluding to their sexual preference? Certainly. But it's also possible that he was simply talking about fashion. So who's the true homophobe, the person who posts a photo of two men and critiques their outfits or the person who reacts with threats of violence to the very possibility of being associated with them because he perceives it to "question [his] manhood"? Are homosexual males not men? Can they not be, in one person's view, stylish or unstylish? Are these men in the photo homosexuals? Can we know that simply by looking at a photo???? And most importantly, if sitting on a rug by a fire drinking wine in turtlenecks and moccasins automatically makes you a homosexual then doesn't the same hold true for wearing a fuchsia (not pink) shirt to multiple basketball games?

Moving on to the bikini pictures, it strikes me as exceedingly paternalistic to level accusations of sexism arising simply from the posting of women in sparse clothing. From what I have seen, Shocky has only posted photos of consenting adult women that he found on the internet and/or knows personally. Can adult women be exploited for their sexuality and victimized by that exploitation? Certainly. Does that make every single photo you deem "debased" to be exploitative. Hardly. Some women feel empowered by their sexuality and enjoy leveraging it to their personal gain. Might that be a mistake for some? Sure. But it's their mistake to make. To draw another analogy, many young men from impoverished backgrounds have historically turned to boxing in an effort to improve their (and their families') living conditions. Can boxers be exploited for their physical talents? Certainly. Does that mean every person who's ever stepped inside the ropes has been exploited? I don't think so. Have some boxers improved their and their families' lives even at great personal physical expense. Undoubtedly.

What I support is the right to free expression and choice within the law. I recognize that this is a private forum so there is room for some leeway in policymaking, but also that this private autonomy is rooted in and constrained by the laws of the land. I vehemently object to the attempts by some on this forum to bend its content to their moral values, even if in some cases I may share those values personally. And I LAUGH at the attempts to couch this crusade for censorship as the righteous, progressive point of view.
NewYorkCityBear
Big C_Cal;842465177 said:

We're all on the same team.

People who make homophobic 'jokes' and I are not on the 'same team' no matter where they went to school. Same for racists, anti-semites, and anyone else trying to put down others based on their color, creed or orientation. One of my roommates in my fraternity at Cal was gay, though no one else in the house knew. My fraternity brothers made 'fag' jokes all the time, not realizing one of their best-liked 'brothers' was homosexual. I almost knew how he felt because I went to a Catholic high school and though I wasn't raised Jewish my father was. I heard every disgusting Jewish joke in the book, because I didn't have a Jewish last name. Finally I let out that I was part Jewish. One night, some of my classmates painted a giant Star of David on our front lawn in shaving cream. This wasn't the deep south. This was Southern California in the 1980's. There's no place in civilized society for such behavior and there's no place on my 'team' for it, and there shouldn't be a place on a Cal message board for it either.
Bobodeluxe
They are building my new truck this Monday.
89Bear
Bobodeluxe;842465307 said:

They are building my new truck this Monday.

Is it fuchsia????
mikecohen
89Bear;842465333 said:

Is it fuchsia????

And who are "they"?
First Page Last Page
Page 160 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.