cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,367,575 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Geek;842479090 said:

Jaylen:

Someone else posted it was going to be end of April.

If I were Jaylen Brown, I just might wait until June 16

[U]important NBA dates 2015:[/U]

March 1 -- Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
April 15 -- Last Day of 2014-15 Regular Season
April 18 -- 2015 NBA Playoffs begin
April 26 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
May 4 or 5 -- Conference Semifinals begin (possible move-up to May 2 or 3)
May 12-17 -- 2015 NBA Draft Combine (on court portion May 14-15)
May 19 or 20 -- Conference Finals begin (possible move-up to May 17 or 18)
May 19 -- 2015 NBA Draft Lottery
June 4 -- The Finals begin (no move-up)
June 15 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)
June 25 -- 2015 NBA Draft
Shocky1
Shocky1;842478829 said:

arizona's rondae hollis jefferson is the 3rd pac 12 underclassmen to declare for the 2015 nba draft joining ucla's kevon looney & washington's dismissed robert upshaw

bashley becomes the 4th pac 12 underclassmen to declare for the the 2015 nba draft

the shift in power is on#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]dude knows how to use social media
after his career in the NBA he should come (back) to Silicon Valley where people make money so big, that it makes NBA salaries look like minimum wage[/SIZE]

Shocky1;842479082 said:

check out the link below for clues re: jaylen's college destination

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424055-2-overall-recruit-jaylen-brown-uses-epic-trailer-to-show-off-top-8-schools
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Impact]moving on up![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842474397 said:

"had a good time with moms watching my brothers young ivee and humble guy paris putting on a show at the future home!'
-oscar frayer

"focused on a million cash, thats the vision!#RestInPeaceDad"
-oscar frayer
Big C
calumnus;842478869 said:

Yes.

In order of height/weight:
Chauca 5'9" 160
Mathews 6'3" 205
Singer 6'4" 204
Wallace 6'5" 200
Bird 6'6" 198
Moute 6'6" 207
Domingo 6'7" 210
Brown 6'7" 220
Swanigan 6'8" 275
Rabb 6'11" 210
Rooks 7'0" 261
Kingsley 7'1" 254

Listed heights/weights, but Kingsley would stand next to Rooks in warm-ups this past season and it was evident that Rooks is at least an inch taller. Rooks is a big guy (and I think KO's "7-1" height is overstated).
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;IPMFkf-ujpc][/video]
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=7][FONT=Trebuchet MS]All-Star cast[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[video=youtube;B3K3PR75sVY][/video]
UCBerkGrad
HoopDreams;842479203 said:

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=7][FONT=Trebuchet MS]All-Star cast[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[video=youtube;B3K3PR75sVY][/video]

Is the game on TV?
Cal Geek
UCBerkGrad;842479233 said:

Is the game on TV?

Nike Hoop Summit is scheduled to be on ESPN2, this Saturday, April 11, 3pm EDT, 12 noon PDT.
UCBerkGrad
Cal Geek;842479235 said:

Nike Hoop Summit is scheduled to be on ESPN2, this Saturday, April 11, 3pm EDT, 12 noon PDT.

Thanks!
Shocky1
the bears staff has a very narrow window of opportunity with respects to graduate transfers

unlike academically mediocre schools like arizona & oregon (with their 95%+ undergraduate acceptance rates) that will accept virtually any basketball playing graduate from any college in their pursuit of winning more basketball games, the graduate programs at the #1 ranked public university in the world only offer admission to those students that have truly distinguished themselves in the classroom...cal's graduate degree programs are flooded with applications from ambitious students from around the world with outstanding academic achievement/transcripts, these programs are selectively seeking the very best of the best students

therefore it's gonna be a very unique basketball student athlete that will be accepted into one of the graduate programs in berkeley...lengthy lists of potential graduate transfers are kinda myopic re: the probability of admission

case in point, a starter at an academically well regarded acc school with a 2.92 gpa (which is pretty good considering the hours that are invested in playing high level d1 basketball) that reached out this year to the staff re: potentially coming to cal could not gain admission into the targeted grad school...this would not be a problem at arizona or oregon, it's no big deal getting accepted into their grad schools & it's also no big deal if the player drops out of school (which has been the case in eugene) the day after their final game, such schools lack academic accountability & creditability

it should also be mentioned that schools like arizona & oregon offer 1 year grad programs, cal's programs are 2 years which requires a different level of academic commitment

dwight tarwater's excelling in the classroom this year & commitment to return for the next academic year to finish his graduate degree is gonna allow the bears staff to potentially make an actionable offer to another graduate transfer...trust me, 99% of the basketball pool of graduate transfers last year did not have a 3.00 gpa in earning an ivy league degree like dwight, he's a one in a million person for a lot of different reasons

shonn miller, a 2 time 1st team all leaguer at cornell with 3.4 gpa at the rigorous st ignatius high school in cleveland is one of those very few student athletes that fits cal's narrow window of opportunity

something is seriously lost in translation for those that want cal to accept dumb azz basketball players that solely wanna play basketball on the basketball court with a basketball...at the #1 public university in the world there must be academic integrity, more than this there is nothing

concordtom
Shocky1;842479241 said:

the bears staff has a very narrow window of opportunity with respects to graduate transfers

Nice post. And brings us all back center to what it means to not only be at Cal and have that degree, but that Masters degree as well. Prestige! (don't call it the "monster" class, therefore; call it the "prestige" class.)

But you failed to circle back to the window. What is the time period one must accept or decline their entrance accepatance into said graduate program by?
socaltownie
Shocky1;842479241 said:

unlike academically mediocre schools like arizona & oregon (with their 95%+ undergraduate acceptance rates) that will accept virtually any basketball playing graduate from any college in their pursuit of winning more basketball games, the graduate programs at the #1 ranked public university in the world only offer admission to those students that have truly distinguished themselves in the classroom...cal's graduate degree programs are flooded with applications from ambitious students with outstanding academic achievement/transcripts, these programs are selectively seeking the very best of the best students

therefore it's gonna be a very unique basketball student athlete that will be accepted into one of the graduate programs in berkeley...lengthy lists of potential graduate transfers are kinda myopic re: the probability of admission

case in point, a starter at an academically well regarded acc school with a 2.92 gpa (which is pretty good considering the hours that are invested in playing high level d1 basketball) that reached out this year to the staff re: potentially coming to cal could not gain admission into the targeted grad school...this would not be a problem at arizona or oregon, it's no big deal getting accepted into their grad schools & it's also no big deal if the player drops out of school (which has been the case in eugene) the day after their final game, such schools lack academic accountability & creditability

it should also be mentioned that schools like arizona & oregon offer 1 year grad programs, cal's programs are 2 years which requires a different level of academic commitment

dwight tarwater's excelling in the classroom this year & commitment to return for the next academic year to finish his graduate degree is gonna allow the bears staff to potentially make an actionable offer to another graduate transfer...trust me, 99% of the basketball pool of graduate transfers last year did not have a 3.00 gpa in earning an ivy league degree like dwight, he's a one in a million person for a lot of different reasons

shonn miller, a 2 time 1st team all leaguer at cornell with 3.4 gpa at the rigorous st ignatius high school in cleveland is one of those very few student athletes that fits cal's narrow window of opportunity

something is seriously lost in translation for those that want cal to accept dumb azz basketball players that solely wanna play basketball on the basketball court with a basketball...at the #1 public university in the world there must be academic integrity, more than this there is nothing

And I hear Shon dominated down low against Yale...and Tommy A. has upped Ivy basketball ;-)

All kidding aside, absolutely agree with your post.
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842479241 said:

unlike academically mediocre schools like arizona & oregon (with their 95%+ undergraduate acceptance rates) that will accept virtually any basketball playing graduate from any college in their pursuit of winning more basketball games, the graduate programs at the #1 ranked public university in the world only offer admission to those students that have truly distinguished themselves in the classroom...cal's graduate degree programs are flooded with applications from ambitious students with outstanding academic achievement/transcripts, these programs are selectively seeking the very best of the best students

I'm surprised that we would pass on a 2.92 ACC kid when I believe that Tarwater was right around there himself. I've seen references to him having a 3.0 GPA at Cornell but I don't see him on the list of all-academic Ivy League players (which, like other conferences, is a list of student-athletes who have achieved a cumulative 3.0. Just the difference between ACC and Ivy?
calumnus
Big C_Cal;842479201 said:

Listed heights/weights, but Kingsley would stand next to Rooks in warm-ups this past season and it was evident that Rooks is at least an inch taller. Rooks is a big guy (and I think KO's "7-1" height is overstated).

Interesting, why would Cal list them differently?--FWIW, I thought Kingsley looked taller as reported by Cal.

However, here is a picture with them standing next to each other to scrutinize: LINK
Cal Geek
calumnus;842479340 said:

Interesting, why would Cal list them differently?--FWIW, I thought Kingsley looked taller as reported by Cal.

However, here is a picture with them standing next to each other to scrutinize: LINK

It's hard for me to tell from that high camera angle. Plus, Rooks and Kingsley are not standing exactly side by side, one if slightly closer to the camera.
LACalFan
Cal Geek;842479347 said:

It's hard for me to tell from that high camera angle. Plus, Rooks and Kingsley are not standing exactly side by side, one if slightly closer to the camera.

I don't know. On second look, the dude in the center looks taller than Rooks or Kingsley.

LOUMFSG2
FWIW, here is a tweet from Rooks earlier this month:

Kameron Rooks ‏@KameronRooks Apr 2

I know it's not everyday you see a 7'2 basketball player, but damn I never knew it was that hard to ask for a pic

So Rooks may well be 7'2" now . . .
Shocky1
Shocky1;842472957 said:

today indiana's governor mike pence signed behind closed doors (which is ironic in itself) the religious freedom restoration act which will allow discrimination based upon religious views & sexual orientation, it is a slap in the face to those of us that embrace diversity & civil rights

a similar piece of legislation is pending in michigan

big sauce, are you tired of living in the freezing azz cold & the socially azz backwards midwest?...do you really want to waste your college experience at purdue or michigan state?

the university of california, berkeley was at the epicenter of america's social awakening in the sixties, does that appeal to you?...do you want to grow as a person & become truly an enlightened citizen of the world?

caleb, the san francisco bay area is truly a melting pot of people from all walks of life, it's up to you & your personal values system if you wanna get on the love train

ask ivan#
shocky is a mutt#

caleb, if you go to michigan state & get injured, your michigan state degree is gonna set you up nicely for a career at the steak n' shake on coldwater...man, them chilly macs are sure tasty...plus you can get top dollar at pawn shops in lansing for them final 4 rings if you gotta make your car payment or something when you're 25 or 30 when basketball is done with you

pretty sure ivan & jaylen are gonna get the most out of their educations, they know if you go to an academically mediocre school & get injured, you are ******

"i will announce which college i will be going to at the nike summit next week"
-caleb swanigan

caleb, my current 1st wife kat (an asu grad) took this foto of you in your resplendent fuchsia shirt at haas pavilion...she thinks its kinda funny & inaccurate that some of the body language interpretation analysts/ bears fans thought you weren't enjoying your visit, i dunno maybe you don't like smiling at frowny people...that's ok, in berkeley you can be whoever you wanna be, your unique individuality will be celebrated

let's do this#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842479392 said:

"i will announce which college i will be going to at the nike summit next week"
-caleb swanigan

caleb, my current 1st wife kat (an asu grad) took this foto of you in your resplendent fuchsia shirt at haas pavilion...she thinks its kinda funny & inaccurate that some of the body language interpretation analysts/ bears fans thought you weren't enjoying your visit, i dunno maybe you don't like smiling at frowny people...that's ok, in berkeley you can be whoever you wanna be, your unique individuality will be celebrated

let's do this#

All were quite frowny hanging with the septuagenarian arm crossers club.
calumnus
LOUMFSG2;842479354 said:

FWIW, here is a tweet from Rooks earlier this month:

Kameron Rooks ‏@KameronRooks Apr 2

I know it's not everyday you see a 7'2 basketball player, but damn I never knew it was that hard to ask for a pic

So Rooks may well be 7'2" now . . .

Sounds likely!
Big C
calumnus;842479340 said:

I dunno, our seats are behind the north basket (and up a bit). I first noticed this around mid-season and, after that, it kept catching my eye: From where we were, Rooks looked unquestionably taller.
jyamada
Big C_Cal;842479464 said:

I dunno, our seats are behind the north basket (and up a bit). I first noticed this around mid-season and, after that, it kept catching my eye: From where we were, Rooks looked unquestionably taller.

An inch or two.....it might be what Rooks needs to dunk now! :p
Shocky1
former mcdonalds all american & last season's pac 12 assists leader nigel williams-goss, a 6'3" 180 lbs true point guard from henderson, nevada announced today that he is transferring from the university of washington

husky's head coach lorenzo romar is a high character good man but with declining fan attendance/student apathy along with not making the ncca tournament since 2011 & a freshmen dominated but talented team with no rebounding/interior defense expected to struggle next season, his run in seattle is almost done

last season for the huskies williams-goss averaged 15.6 points per game, a pac 12 leading 5.9 assists per game & 4.7 rebounds per game...like tyrone wallace at the 1, nigel needs to relentlessly work on his 3 point shooting (an abysmal 25.6% last season) in order to maximize his future nba opportunity

nwg is an outstanding student athlete with a 4.0 gpa at findlay prep in las vegas & currently has a 3.74 gpa at washington in psychology/communications

williams-goss would be a perfect cal fit with his strong academic profile & ability to follow t-wall (assuming tyrone returns next season) at the 1 for the 2016 season before most likely graduating from cal & pursuing his nba opportunities with a true safety net, a degree from the #1 public university in the world

at that point the door would still be open for the bears staff targeted howlin' at the moon class 2016 recruiting priorities at the 1: derryck thornton of findlay prep (if tyus jones declares for the nba, he is expected to reclassify to 2015 & sign with duke), devearl ramsey of sierra canyon & jordan ford of folsom

huf & head coach tommy amaker almost successfully recruited nigel out of high school to harvard...yeah, seasons change, williams-goss is gonna change but who knew that huf is the lead singer for future islands?

concordtom
jyamada;842479468 said:

An inch or two.....it might be what Rooks needs to dunk now! :p

What if Rooks comes with a completely newly rebuilt body. All ready to crush his 7'2" self on the rest of the pac.
He and Okoroh would give Rabb and Swanigan some good height to "practice" against.
antipattern
Shocky1;842479472 said:

former mcdonalds all american & last season's pac 12 assists leader nigel williams-goss, a 6'3" 180 lbs true point guard from henderson, nevada announced today that he is transferring from the university of washington

husky's head coach lorenzo romar is a high character good man but with declining fan attendance/student apathy along with not making the ncca tournament since 2011 & a freshmen dominated but talented team with no rebounding/interior defense expected to struggle next season, his run in seattle is almost done

last season for the huskies williams-goss averaged 15.6 points per game, a pac 12 leading 5.9 assists per game & 4.7 rebounds per game...like tyrone wallace at the 1, nigel needs to relentlessly work on his 3 point shooting (an abysmal 25.6% last season) in order to maximize his future nba opportunity

nwg is an outstanding student athlete with a 4.0 gpa at findlay prep in las vegas & currently has a 3.74 gpa at washington in psychology/communications

williams-goss would be a perfect cal fit with his strong academic profile & ability to follow t-wall (assuming tyrone returns next season) at the 1 for the 2016 season before most likely graduating from cal & pursuing his nba opportunities with a true safety net, a degree from the #1 public university in the world

at that point the door would still be open for the bears staff targeted howlin' at the moon class 2016 recruiting priorities at the 1: derryck thornton of findlay prep, devearl ramsey of sierra canyon & jordan ford of folsom

huf & head coach tommy amaker almost successfully recruited nigel out of high school to harvard...yeah, seasons change, williams-goss is gonna change but who knew that huf is the lead singe for future islands?

Howling at what? Huh?

I've basically had no idea what you're talking about since around 2012.
Shocky1
antipattern;842479503 said:

Howling at what? Huh?

I've basically had no idea what you're talking about since around 2012.

that's ok, cal's monster class isn't for everyone

Shocky1
Shocky1;842477903 said:

tyrone, i introduced myself & visited with your mom michelle & your younger sisters/brothers before the fresno state game at the save mart arena in the central valley...your family had made the short drive over from bakersfield & was very excited to see you play...you should have seen their exuberant smiles after you led your team to an exciting victory over the bulldogs

neice told me about the amazing influence you have upon the little ones, how you consistently call home & ask each of them if they are doing their homework and emphasizing to them the importance of getting it done in the classroom to ensure bright futures for them

t-wall, my love for you & the cal basketball program transcends far beyond wins & losses on the basketball floor, it is **** like that makes supporting you & your teammates special and truly magical for me, you are an amazing person...yeah, it was fun stormin' the court after your ice in the veins 3 point moneyball vs the university of spoiled children with .4th of a second left in the game (see the foto below of your poised deadly shooting form with the clearly good luck fuschia shoelaces & me getting ready to do the stormin' thing in my purple villebrequin linen dress shirt)

and now you are at the crossroads...are you gonna drop out of college & throw your name in the nba draft or will you return for your senior season & earn a cal degree?

with defenders smothering you all season you shot 42.5% on field goals & 31.8% on 3 pointers from behind the college line along with an undefended 60.6% on free throws...you also got abused & outplayed defensively by marginal nba prospects chasson randle & tj mcconnell...it is highly unlikely you would be drafted in the 1st round in this year's nba draft which ensures a guaranteed contract which means you would be a 2nd round draft choice or a free agent

the nba development league is a brutal biz, paying many of its players around $30k while they compete for maybe one open spot on the parent team roster...it's a lot of long bus rides & fiercely competing with guys that really don't want to share the ball because they know they need attention grabbing stats to make an impression upon the front office...there's absolutely nothing glamorous about the nba development league, ask richard solomon about it, it's a day to day highly stressful life with no safety net for those without a college degree

or you can return to cal & play with the potential diamonds are forever class (2015) with improved shooting spacing because of the elite talent...you can become more of a vocal leader at point guard & better impose your will upon your teammates that are looking to you for direction...and most importantly, you can serve as a tremendous role model to your younger sisters & brothers & finish your academic goals with a diploma from cal

you know at some point basketball is gonna be done with you, are you gonna be just another college dropout on the streets then trying to financially support your hard working mom & family?...or are you gonna be a graduate from the #1 public university in the world with a million career opportunities & an unlimited future?

marco harris once told me that men take care of their business & jennifer hunter told me you are exceptionally bright & a very conscientious student

t-wall, i get it, the lure of potentially quick $ to help your family is strong but how are you gonna accomplish that goal?...what is the best strategy both in the short & long run?...you know the answer in your heart, you gotta love it not hate it

"i think tyrone is still weighing his options, which is fine...he'll assess how it goes...who's going in the draft, who's returning to school...he's still in the air"

"he doesn't have a timetable...(april) 26th is the deadline, for me there's no timetable because this is a very important decision...i think you owe it to a young man to take his time and make the right decision"
-coach martin to mike vernon

50 year decision#
HoopDreams

First Practice:
http://www.usab.com/basketball/media/videos/2015/04/april-8-nike-hoop-summit-practice.aspx

NVBear78
Ivan listed at 6'8" and Caleb at 6'9".......
HoopDreams

[SIZE=5]"It's a blessing to have that U-S-A across your chest," he continued. "It's not like we're going to fight a war; we're going to play basketball and do something that we love. Whenever we're on the court we want to go as hard as we can and definitely represent our country the right way."[/SIZE]

[FONT=Impact][COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=7]Represent USA[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"][video]http://video-embed.oregonlive.com/services/player/bcpid1949055967001?bctid=4161646160001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAPLpuSqE~,a1DdoZJH5WQo4iWaJj1w_CktvJfhQVVG[/video]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=4]“It’s an honor and a big achievement to be on such a prestigious Nike Hoop Summit team and play for my country,” said Brown. “I have been watching the game for the last three or four years and I’m excited to represent the U.S. and go for victory.”[/SIZE][/COLOR]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]watch this video from the McDonald's All-American game very closely
especially the end[/SIZE]

[video=youtube;f38mN21riLc][/video]
Shocky1
"i just advise people to spend more time with people that you KNOW care about you!"
-ivan rabb

diamonds are forever#
First Page Last Page
Page 174 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.