cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,268,149 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
when cal's diamonds are forever class (2016) was making their decisions (primarily relying upon the info provided in the cal's monster class thread) to protect the young exploited workers of sierra leone by becoming mentally/educationally limitless true student athletes with social consciences in berkeley, jaylen & ivan both emphasized that they were making independent choices that were the best decisions for themselves & their families

but it's becoming clear that the nba decisions for the roommates will not be independent decisions, that their future professional basketball & academic/basketball progress at the #1 ranked public university (#3 overall) in the world timelines are interwined

eye to eye so alive beautiful like diamonds in the sky

illuminati#
HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Arial Black]Cal of Duty[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congrats to [COLOR="#0000CD"]Jemarl Baker[/COLOR] for making the LA Times All-Star team[/SIZE]

[video=youtube;mLGoy0qt2Rw][/video]

socaltownie
HoopDreams;842673423 said:

[SIZE=6][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Arial Black]Cal of Duty[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Is it just me or would be just about the worst thing to see on the paint ball field is Jordan Mathews drawing a bead on you? I can feel the sting right now. Sam - you want DARK clothes out there. And Jaylen - it is going to HURT when you tagged with pellets on those bare arms.

**** - might be time to dig out from the attic my old set and gear up with my son ;-)
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]props to Cal gymnastics for qualifying for the NCAA Championships![/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Kristine Anigwe [/COLOR]earns 2016 National Freshman of the Year ![/SIZE][/FONT]

Kristine also recorded a conference-record eight Freshman of the Week awards, first team All-Pac-12, Pac-12 All-Freshman and Pac-12 All-Defensive HM
Kristine also was named an All-American HM (only frosh to make the AA team)

Shocky1
arizona basketball program: it was obvious to anybody that followed the wildcats this season that there were major chemistry issues, guys didn't really like each other & key players including zeus often tuned out the donut boy of tuscon

i inaccurately stated during the season that elliot pitts was suspended due to marijuana related issues, that was incorrect information that was intentionally told to me on the golf course by a major arizona donor to mislead me...it is the intent of the cal's monster class thread to present accurate information to the best of my knowledge & when i'm wrong i will own up to those mistakes & set the record straight re: any previous misinformation

elliiot pitts was suspended due to a criminal investigation alleging that he raped the sister of a teammate, he has stated that the sex was consensual & has since departed from the wildcats
GRRAAH
Shocky1;842673663 said:

arizona basketball program: it was obvious to anybody that followed the wildcats this season that there were major chemistry issues, guys didn't really like each other & key players including zeus often tuned out the donut boy of tuscon

i inaccurately stated during the season that elliot pitts was suspended due to marijuana related issues, that was incorrect information that was intentionally told to me on the golf course by a major arizona donor to mislead me...it is the intent of the cal's monster class thread to present accurate information to the best of my knowledge & when i'm wrong i will own up to those mistakes & set the record straight re: any previous misinformation

elliiot pitts was suspended due to a criminal investigation alleging that he raped the sister of a teammate, he has stated that the sex was consensual & has since departed from the wildcats

Sure. If it suits you to further disparage another's reputation, you gleefully chime in. Pathetic.
Shocky1
GRRAAH;842673694 said:

Sure. If it suits you to further disparage another's reputation, you gleefully chime in. Pathetic.

guess what, dumb azz, pitts disparaged his reputation by his actions

this is a real world recruiting thread that is not targeting an out of touch white guy in seattle that never goes to go cal basketball/football games yet has still managed to make 2353 pontificating posts about absolutely nothing
Shocky1
as we visit colleges with shay & taylor, i'm asking a lot of questions re: campus security & requesting numbers re: attacks on females, as a dad i'm consumed with protecting my daughters

it is that outdated rapist enabling attitudes of guys like like grraah that want to sweep the attacks under the rug, let's not damage the reputations of elliot pitts, sean miller of the arizona basketball program, right?

guys like grraah are incapable of emphasizing that there's a female victim in the middle of these rapes
GRRAAH
Shocky1;842673714 said:

this is a real world recruiting thread that is not targeting an out of touch white guy in seattle that never goes to go cal basketball/football games yet has still managed to make 2353 pontificating posts about absolutely nothing

It is your actions that speak volumes. You "teach" little but rude, pompous disparagement to anyone who reads your garbage. And you think recruits and their parents are attracted to Cal because of your constant nonsense? God help us.
Shocky1
GRRAAH;842673738 said:

It is your actions that speak volumes. You "teach" little but rude, pompous disparagement to anyone who reads your garbage. And you think recruits and their parents are attracted to Cal because of your constant nonsense? God help us.

curious why you are still reading the cal's monster class then?
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal football is signing... dare I say ... some [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR="#000080"]MONSTER[/COLOR][/FONT] recruits[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal slams UCLA for their 7th win in a row[/SIZE]

south bender
HoopDreams;842673789 said:

[SIZE=5]Cal slams UCLA for their 7th win in a row[/SIZE]

HD, generally I love your posts, but why football and baseball on this site? They are as relevant here as the BI-family narcissist's posts on golf and on his doings with his daughters.
socaltownie
Shocky1;842673722 said:

as we visit colleges with shay & taylor, i'm asking a lot of questions re: campus security & requesting numbers re: attacks on females, as a dad i'm consumed with protecting my daughters

Great questions -

Here is another (strongly suggest)

1) if they know their majors: Of the required survey courses (those are usually the ones that are numbered either "100s" or the "single/double digits" in the catalogue what percentage of those offered over the past 3-4-5 years (take your pick) were taught by adjuncts and what percentage by tenure-track faculty? You can actually figure this out YOURSELF if they show you the course offerings from 3-4-5 years past but you should make THEM do it....your money and you are the customer.

2) if they don't know major - modify the question for general ed requirements

The dirty little (not so secret) secret in higher ed right now is the decline in tenure track faculty and the rise of adjuncts. Now there is nothing necessarily BAD with adjuncts but good luck in getting a letter of recommendation/internship/career advice from them. One of the little heart breaks I have is when students come to me as an adjunct for recommendations because they have gone four years and have seen just a handful of tenure track faculty.
Shocky1
the cal staff is not targeting australian prospects

with limited resources schools focus upon recruiting areas that play to their strengths & therefore colleges that have an aussie and/or a coach with deep connections to oz are at a significant recruiting advantage

this staff is primarily focusing california & the west coast (including las vegas) along with the midwest
blungld
socaltownie;842673813 said:

Great questions -

Here is another (strongly suggest)

1) if they know their majors: Of the required survey courses (those are usually the ones that are numbered either "100s" or the "single/double digits" in the catalogue what percentage of those offered over the past 3-4-5 years (take your pick) were taught by adjuncts and what percentage by tenure-track faculty? You can actually figure this out YOURSELF if they show you the course offerings from 3-4-5 years past but you should make THEM do it....your money and you are the customer.

2) if they don't know major - modify the question for general ed requirements

The dirty little (not so secret) secret in higher ed right now is the decline in tenure track faculty and the rise of adjuncts. Now there is nothing necessarily BAD with adjuncts but good luck in getting a letter of recommendation/internship/career advice from them. One of the little heart breaks I have is when students come to me as an adjunct for recommendations because they have gone four years and have seen just a handful of tenure track faculty.

Why can't an adjunct with a letter of rec? A good caution, but can you explain?
socaltownie
blungld;842673864 said:

Why can't an adjunct with a letter of rec? A good caution, but can you explain?

Let me elaborate.

I am going to paint with a HUGE brush but lets put adjuncts into 2 categories

First (mine!) are adjuncts that have "day jobs". We teach 1-2 courses a year because we enjoy the classroom and the students and often prepping and doing the classes helps refine our thinking and the class discussions are interesting. But we really don't get a great chance to know the students - except in passing. Perhaps we have office hours but usually it is going to be at our convenience (see day jobs). We might go to a faculty seminar now and again but our interactions around the department just are not that frequent. We might be wired into the grad school game - but not nearly as well as tenure track faculty that are keeping up with the latest rumors of who is going and who is leaving at top 10 schools/departments around the country. We will write you a letter, it will check off a box, but it isn't like we really are likely to have THAT much pull except at perhaps institutions we have a unique relationship with. We are pretty good (if I say so myself) in helping you get JOBS in local labor markets - our day jobs tend to mean we are good networkers by necessity and can help you know who to call to get in the door.

Second are the gypsies of higher ed. Universities have VASTLY over produced PhDs outside of select stem disiciplines in contrast to tenure tract positions. Thus you have a huge labor force that picks up 2-3 classes at 2-3 universities for very low wages. They will write letters but are so overwhelmed that it is just really hard. Even tracking them down after a year or 2 can be tough/hit or miss.

Now that is overgeneralization but I think rightly captures the vast bulk of the adjuct workforce. Lesson to be learned - figure out what it means to be "on the tenure tract" and what it doesn't mean. Develop relationships/take classes from the "full time tenure/tenure tract" faculty when at all possible and all other things being equal. Go to their office hours (even if you "dont need to". Ask questions. Develop relationships with them. And push comes to shove, prioritize the activities just described with those faculty over the same thing done with Adjuncts.
concordtom
GRRAAH;842673694 said:

Yeah, I caught that exact same angle. He presented it like he was being all up front and honest, admitting his having given us mistaken info (like THAT'S never happened before!), but really it was just an opportunity to further slam AZ and Miller. Honestly, because of this, we will be reading about how AZ fosters such activities for years. God, Shocky would be having a field day if YH worked in any other Pac12 city.

Shocky1;842673714 said:

1) Welcome back from Asia! :p He's baaaaackk....
2) Why bring race into it? No, seriously, why bring race into it?

Shocky1;842673722 said:

it is that outdated rapist enabling attitudes of guys like like grraah that want to sweep the attacks under the rug, let's not damage the reputations of elliot pitts, sean miller of the arizona basketball program, right?

guys like grraah are incapable of emphasizing that there's a female victim in the middle of these rapes

Oh, so now Graahh is akin to a "rapist enabler" because he's calling you out on your "correction/announcement"? Please. Are you trying to spin it that the reason you posted the Pitts story was to protect young women from the undesired advances of men? Really? You want to go there now, considering the OPHD issue going on?
No, the only time you discuss women as it relates to sex is to point out (photos included) how a Cal grad can get a hot curvy blond. This is laughable.

...Sorry, I have told myself to leave this alone many time, but I have a hard time with the truth being ignored and turned into something else.
If you want to have a Monster Recruiting Thread that does not keep getting off track with this crap, just stick to the facts. Don't bring sex and criminality into it - just stick to basketball. That would be a start. Follow that up with ceasing the attacks on other BI'ers.
concordtom
south bender;842673808 said:

HD, generally I love your posts, but why football and baseball on this site? They are as relevant here as the BI-family narcissist's posts on golf and on his doings with his daughters.

My guess? A move back to SPORTS and away from politics and other such undesirables...
HoopDreams
Charleston Cougars guard Canyon Barry, the son of former NBA great Rick Barry, will graduate this summer and transfer elsewhere for his final season of eligibility.

The 6-foot-6 Barry, who averaged 19.7 points per game before a season-ending shoulder injury in January, will graduate with a 4.0 GPA. He redshirted his freshman season.

Barry will be eligible to play next season as a graduate transfer student and likely will be pursued by numerous high-major schools.

"Decisions of this magnitude are never easy and today is bittersweet for me," Barry said in a statement. "I informed Coach [Earl] Grant and my teammates that I plan on graduating from the College of Charleston this summer and pursue a master's degree in nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering or physics. I am hoping to use my last season of basketball eligibility to start work on my master's program."

Barry's finalists: [COLOR="#0000CD"]Cal[/COLOR], Florida, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, Northwestern, Ole miss.

Cal8285
HoopDreams;842673935 said:

Charleston Cougars guard Canyon Barry, the son of former NBA great Rick Barry, will graduate this summer and transfer elsewhere for his final season of eligibility.

The 6-foot-6 Barry, who averaged 19.7 points per game before a season-ending shoulder injury in January, will graduate with a 4.0 GPA. He redshirted his freshman season.

Barry will be eligible to play next season as a graduate transfer student and likely will be pursued by numerous high-major schools.

"Decisions of this magnitude are never easy and today is bittersweet for me," Barry said in a statement. "I informed Coach [Earl] Grant and my teammates that I plan on graduating from the College of Charleston this summer and pursue a master's degree in nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering or physics. I am hoping to use my last season of basketball eligibility to start work on my master's program."

Barry's finalists: [COLOR="#0000CD"]Cal[/COLOR], Florida, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, Northwestern, Ole miss.
I'd like to see Canyon use some teaching skills to help the other guys learn how to shoot free throws underhanded so they can all bump up their FT%.

Yes, yes, I know it will be a cold day in hell before you'll get anyone besides a son of Rick Barry to take the abuse that comes with underhanded FT's, even if it really will help boost the FT% of anyone who shoots under 80%.
concordtom
Wow.
I've got a spread out family, but I had to check this out, a 28 year gap from first son to last son.
(My step-dad has a 42 gap from first daughter to his last daughter, my half-sister, 20 years my junior!)

Ricky Barry
Born March 28, 1944 (age 72)
Elizabeth, New Jersey
He has four sons with his first wife Pam: Scooter, Jon, Brent and Drew, all of whom were professional basketball players. He has one daughter, Shannon. He also has a son named Canyon with his third wife, Lynn Barry. Canyon plays for the College of Charleston Cougars men's basketball team.

Barry grew up in Roselle Park, New Jersey and was an All-American basketball player for the University of Miami, where he starred for three seasons. While at Miami, Barry met his wife Pamela, the daughter of Hurricanes head coach Bruce Hale. As a senior in the 1964–65 campaign, Barry led the NCAA with a 37.4 points-per-game average.

Scooter Barry
Born August 13, 1966 (age 49)
San Francisco, California - Dad played 1965–1967, San Francisco Warriors

Jon Barry
Born July 25, 1969 (age 46)
Oakland, California - Dad played 1968–1970, Oakland Oaks / Washington Caps (ABA)

Brent Barry
Born December 31, 1971 (age 44)
Hempstead, New York - Dad played 1970–1972, New York Nets (ABA)

Drew Barry
Born February 17, 1973 (age 43)
Oakland, California - Dad played 1972–1978, Golden State Warriors

Lynn Norenberg Barry
Personal information
Born 1959, St. Petersburg, Florida
Listed height 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Career information
High school Lakewood
(St. Petersburg, Florida)
College William & Mary (1977–1981)
Position Guard
Career highlights and awards
Conference player of the year (1978)
VAIAW champion (1979)
3 VAIAW All-State Team
3 VAIAW State All-Tournament Team
Jersey number retired (#22)

Canyon Barry
Birth Date: January 7, 1994 (Age 22)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO

concordtom
Cal8285;842673949 said:

I'd like to see Canyon use some teaching skills to help the other guys learn how to shoot free throws underhanded so they can all bump up their FT%.

Yes, yes, I know it will be a cold day in hell before you'll get anyone besides a son of Rick Barry to take the abuse that comes with underhanded FT's, even if it really will help boost the FT% of anyone who shoots under 80%.

He shot nearly 85% FT's this past season, with 19.7 points per game.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61892/canyon-barry
Shocky1
richard midgley's modesto christian's christian ellis has made a commitment to southern illinois edwardsville with head coach jon harris & assistant coach terrance crump (former cal assistant director of basketball operations)

i remember hosting midgley at haas pavilion 2 seasons ago when i noticed coach harris staring us down right before tip off...i asked richard what's up with that & he said jon had visited him the day before in modesto

small world#
Shocky1
coach martin is gonna hire a consultant as selected by me to conduct a comprehensive harassment educational class for all current players & prospective recruits tentatively titled "common sense in the 21 century: don't be a ******* dumb azz"

yeah, fans with season tix(s) will get 1st priority to also attend too, do you got your tix(s) renewed?

DrDanger
He missed a lot of games with a shoulder injury.
Shocky1
DrDanger;842674078 said:

He missed a lot of games with a shoulder injury.

yeah, well if was working with coach nicodemus s&c's cross training world class program this offseason, his developing yoga practice would eliminate shoulder injuries plus them curvy brunette yoga females like guys with practices too

just ask jaylen

dr shock's principles to a balanced life#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]probably one of the greatest national championship game in history
but as I watched the game there were moments that reminded me of this Cal team
our team got the players, grinded everyday to get better and stronger, and grew together as a team and a family
the team finished strong, blowing out eventual an eventual #1 seed, taking out ranked teams, losing on last second shots to another #1 seed and to other top 10 ranked teams
It was clear to the Committee and anyone following the Pac 12 that Cal was good. Very good, and we earned a number 4 seed in the tournament[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]And I saw in Cal many of the elements of the Champion Villanova team

Big plays, like the chase down block at the end of the first half - it reminded me of how Jaylen Brown never gave up on plays, and make several huge blocks on what appeared to be gimme layups

clutch last second shots, like Jabari Bird's ice-in-the-veins trey to beat St Marys

Tough defense from man 1 all the way down the bench

Senior PG who took charge and sometimes put the team on his back to win games

Elite Athletes who grabbed rebounds, slammed home dunks, and blocked shots

A players coach who has a bond with his players, and is cool under fire. A leader of men

Yeah, this Cal team could play with just about any team in the tournament, and win[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
curry is always practicing his no look passing skills ...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15134545&ex_cid=espnapi_internal
Shocky1
happy b-day, dontae coleman, you're gonna love your trip to your new home on the west coast this weekend

yeah, you're gonna put atlanta on your back, fell in the sun no surprise

california#
Shocky1
coach martin is involved in conversations with arkansas transfer 6'4" 173 lbs jimmy whitt, the razorbacks have provided whitt with a limited release (can't transfer to a sec school) & he will have 4 years to play 3 after sitting out the 2016/2017 season

cal recruited the top 70 player out of hickman high school in columbia, missouri before he made his commitment to arkansas...whitt started the 1st 10 games for the razorbacks & finished the season with 6.1 ppg including 37.5% on 3 pointers & 79.2% on free throws

whitt has got tremendous length (a 7" wing span) & can relentlessly attack the basket & rebound like t-wall...other schools in the mix include nc state, kansas, oklahoma & wisconsin, those are all academically mediocre schools in freezing azz locations that don't got cali sweater weather

[video=youtube;zpwfY1TFhfU][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including missouri)
Jeff82
It's just a shame that the season ended the way it did. We had the pieces to make a run in the tournament, I think, but no team could survive the loss of two starters and key scorers, particularly losing one of them an hour before tip. Hopefully, Brown and Rabb realize there's unfinished business, and decide to return for one more year, to see how far the team can go at full strength.
First Page Last Page
Page 307 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.