cal's monster class deux

1,376,524 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
ecb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842819020 said:

ecb, you got no spelling skills

ha, very true. Whoops.
HoopDreams
Shocky1

the cal state bakersfield roadrunners are an experienced well coached high energy guard oriented team that is currently 22-9 for the season...coach martin & the staff along with more than half the roster hopefully remember not being mentally prepared to play & getting their azzs handed to them by the roadrunners in december of 2014 although that loss can be primarily attributed to my inexcusable absence at haas pavillon that evening due to a family xmas/new year's holiday trip to cape town & safari tours in south africa, that **** won't happen again

the roadrunners got a 11 player rotation & are led by 6'4" 190 lbs jaylin arlington (14.6 ppg), 6'4" 175 lbs damiyne durham (12.6 ppg), 5'10" l60 lbs senior dedrick basile & 6'6" 190 lbs senior mark smith (10.7 ppg & a team high 6.0 rpg)...arlington is the only guy to play 30+ mpg, the roadrunners substitute frequently & guys are fresh which has resulted in a remarkable 266 steals this season

offensively the bears are gonna have a huge height advantage inside against the mobile but much shorter roadrunners, there will be opportunities for young ivee, sam & the king to post up all nite long & impose their will but will they do so?...who will replace the bird man's production & will charlie continue his terrific last 2 games in the pac 12 tournament after hitting the freshman wall?...will dontae & roman knock somebody on their azzs?...can the wolf of wall street liquidate cal state?...will seniors roman, sammy & stephen confidently attack the basket with no fear?

defensively the bears gotta play with a lot of energy to keep up with the roadrunners guards...bakersfield only shoots 33.5% on 3 pointers, they are not a great perimeter shooting team...the key to the game defensively will be to block out & limit the visitors to only 1 shot per sequence, it could be very challenging for the roadrunners to score tonite in berkeley

there's gonna be a very small crowd (only a couple of thousand seats sold as of last evening) but there's gonna be a lot of love in the building, the true california golden bears fans that love these guys & the pureness of college basketball will be there...if your there come on over & say hello pregame, halftime or postgame, let's talk shop...and yeah everybody can move a couple of minutes into the game to way better seats it's gonna be a free love open seating festival in berkeley

yeah we're the ******* black beetles, were real crowd pleasers haters mad for whatever reasons

this is cal basketball#:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo:woohoo
ccajon
[QUOTE

and that brings us to rugby, a sport played predominantly by white males & coached by the self serving jack clark who is not a friend of the cal basketball program...they compete in some weird azz set up which means that beating life university (a chiropractic school somewhere in the midwest) means you win a national championship that nobody gives a **** about

rugby got letters of commitment/protection from the athletic dept but the program roster should be rightsized in half immediately & then eliminated over time

If Rugby NC's mattered no way in hell would Cal ever be winning them. LOL This was the best State of the Cal AD summation I ever read.

#Shocky for AD
UrsaMajor
Good summary, Shockster; let me add some facts:

Cutting rosters is likely in the cards--football is currently at 135 (50 walk-ons). No need for that--probably the walk-on # should be cut in half. Same with crew and probably T&F. HOWEVER (and it's a big "however"). Even with draconian roster reductions, the estimates are that AT MOST $500K can be saved. In our current situation, that's chump change.

It is unlikely that any women's sports will be cut, because we may need to move to Title IX Prong 1 (I'm not going to go into all of the details of the prongs--look it up), meaning equal %age participation.

Rugby won't be cut. They are more or less self-funded and they win. (sorry, Shocky, the fact that you don't like Jack Clark may be a point in his favor in the eyes of many) s

Another big problem with keeping the # of sports we have is that in order to satisfy Title IX, we need capital improvements (e.g., softball needs a better facility; beach volleyball needs a stadium), not just because it's nice, but because facilities have to be commensurate (Title IX).

Shocky, you didn't mention women's volleyball, but, of course, that's a P12 requirement. They use Haas as well.

As for monetizing the stadium, while the MOA with the Hills folk was unfortunate, the amount of $$ potentially generated by large-scale events at the stadium is probably not that high. There are relatively few huge stadium-type concerts in the Bay Area each year. We would be competing with the Coliseum, AT&T, and Levi's for these, and we would generally be 4th choice, since access and parking are far worse here than at the other 3 venues. I'd be surprised if we got more than 1-2 "blockbuster" concerts a year, if that. The campus needs to come up with other ways to multi-use the stadium so that it isn't entirely a burden on IA.
Jeff82
I agree with you about the women's facilities. The fiasco with field hockey brought that issue into stark relief. That implies additional cuts to male sports, in order to cut female sports that have new facility requirements. It means on the female side, you maybe only end up with enough sports to counterbalance the size of the football roster and meet the numerical prong of Title IX. If football ever starts generating significant revenue, you use that to offset non-intercollegiate-athletic costs, such as the intramural program, rather than to add to the number of sports. Essentially, the primary mission of sports maybe ends up being connecting alumni to the school for the purpose of academic contributions, and enough money to support a much smaller athletic program, nothing else.
BeggarEd
Shocky1;842818990 said:

...baseball players are a bunch of mostly white middle class kids that are doing poorly in the classroom & on the field

...country which is basically a bunch of skinny white kids running in circles & **** like that.

...women's lacrosse & field hockey are a bunch of bitchy high maintenance self entitled rich kids from prep schools back east

...and that brings us to rugby, a sport played predominantly by white males

I think you need a therapist to sort out your issues with white people... odd considering that you're a pretty damn light-skinned dude yourself.
Shocky1
ed, i love white people (ok, maybe not jack clark but that's besides the point, gotta give him props for building up his fake model mythology status out of nothing) particularly my fellow mutts of mixed descent like olivier sarr & justice sueing jr

and make no mistake about it, cole welle is my friend

we are the ******* black beetles (wear black tonite at our haas)#:crazy
Shocky1
SFBear2012;842819137 said:

Do the UT coaches always have to wear that clown suit?

yes, the racist faction of redneck white fans in the south require you to dress like a failed used car lot salesman on game days, just be one of the good ol' boys, otherwise they are gonna sign petitions & require you to hire private security to protect your family

the dark ages (bruce pearl is our kinda guy)#
Shocky1
ursa your "at most $500k" savings number is not even close to reality, that's the misinformed propaganda touted by soon to be impacted coaches & their small bands of supporters tout as reasons to not change anything (stick their heads in the sand), to not do ****

financial analysis will tell you that there are soft & indirect costs (such as facility maintenance/construction, rising medical/dental expenses for athletes, significant academic/tutoring expenses & streamlining the athletic dept support staff) in addition to the hard costs (schollys, coaching salaries including generous university pensions & team travel expenses including airfares, hotels, transportation & meals) that would result in at least $5+ million & upwards of $10 million a year in savings plus the lost opportunity cost for fiscal reinvestment in the football & basketball profit/revenue centers that bring current & future donors to berkeley on gamedays

last year the athletic department's expenses were $88.1m in continuing expenses, interest payment on debt service for the retrofit of memorial stadium was an additional $18.5m...total revenues were $86.3m...this is financially unsustainable, thinking otherwise is a fool's errand

there's also the real estate component/opportunity of repurposing evans diamonds & potentially edwards stadium too

when rugby says they are paying their own way, that's a non factual statement intended to fool those that failed accounting 1 & that can't read financial statements

UrsaMajor
You misread (or I miswrote). the $500K refers to cutting rosters, not cutting sports. And that figure is hard (financial analysis from outside the AD). Cutting sports is a totally different matter (and likely to happen). Example: cutting 35 walk-ons from football doesn't save a penny in scholarships, as they don't have any. Nor does it save anything in travel $, since we are limited by NCAA rules in terms of how many players can travel. What is saved is the cost of equipment and to some degree added burden on ancillary services.

Right now the athletic department should thank their stars that we have the stadium debt. If not, the push to drop out of Div-1 might be unstoppable.
SBGold
Isn't baseball also fully endowed because of Stu Gordon? I know I donated some money a few years ago when Barbour threatened to cut without the endowment in place.

UrsaMajor;842819089 said:

Good summary, Shockster; let me add some facts:

Cutting rosters is likely in the cards--football is currently at 135 (50 walk-ons). No need for that--probably the walk-on # should be cut in half. Same with crew and probably T&F. HOWEVER (and it's a big "however"). Even with draconian roster reductions, the estimates are that AT MOST $500K can be saved. In our current situation, that's chump change.

It is unlikely that any women's sports will be cut, because we may need to move to Title IX Prong 1 (I'm not going to go into all of the details of the prongs--look it up), meaning equal %age participation.

Rugby won't be cut. They are more or less self-funded and they win. (sorry, Shocky, the fact that you don't like Jack Clark may be a point in his favor in the eyes of many) s

Another big problem with keeping the # of sports we have is that in order to satisfy Title IX, we need capital improvements (e.g., softball needs a better facility; beach volleyball needs a stadium), not just because it's nice, but because facilities have to be commensurate (Title IX).

Shocky, you didn't mention women's volleyball, but, of course, that's a P12 requirement. They use Haas as well.

As for monetizing the stadium, while the MOA with the Hills folk was unfortunate, the amount of $$ potentially generated by large-scale events at the stadium is probably not that high. There are relatively few huge stadium-type concerts in the Bay Area each year. We would be competing with the Coliseum, AT&T, and Levi's for these, and we would generally be 4th choice, since access and parking are far worse here than at the other 3 venues. I'd be surprised if we got more than 1-2 "blockbuster" concerts a year, if that. The campus needs to come up with other ways to multi-use the stadium so that it isn't entirely a burden on IA.
UrsaMajor
No. Baseball raised enough money to guarantee funding for 5 years. It is nowhere near fully funded.
Shocky1
another option on the table is converting evans diamond into a yoga/meditation studio for coach nic

yeah i know the headstand is crooked azz, pitcher's mounds are circular, life is not linear

midnite hotel de paris (monaco) plan#:bravo
Shocky1

so who's in slightly better shape for tonite's battle at the barricade, who's got a dedicated yoga/meditation practice & a flat stomach, rowdy the roadrunner or oski the calfornia golden bear?

ruh roh (the tigers come at nite)#
Shocky1
are you gonna drive in your car, hitchhike, take bart, ride a bicycle, fly in a fueled up uber helicopter or steal a car from the valet stand at the fairmont to support oski & them california golden bears tonite at haas pavilion at 8:15 pm tonite or what?

trust me, watching the game on tv isn't gonna help oski, he/she/it needs your walk up support at the battle at the barricade

throw caution/your linear schedule to the wind (lots of great seats available at haas tonite)#

Shocky1;842818574 said:

rowdy the roadrunner is one seriously scary looking mascot, oski better not call him a bitch azz male stripper

Beardog26
Without resorting to insults, let's just set the record straight:

Cal Rugby pays 100% of its operating costs, including but not limited to travel, equipment, administration, coaching, etc.

The program also pays 100% of its indirect costs, including but not limited to its share of insurance premiums, medical costs below deductibles, salaries and benefits for media relations and athletic trainers, fundraising, and all other assignable costs.

Cal Rugby does not offer or provide scholarships to any of its players.

Additionally, Cal Rugby pays $150,000 towards two women's sports teams annually.
89Bear
Shocky1;842819247 said:

are you gonna drive in your car, hitchhike, take bart, ride a bicycle, fly in a fueled up uber helicopter or steal a car from the valet stand at the fairmont to support oski & them california golden bears tonite at haas pavilion at 8:15 pm tonite or what?

trust me, watching the game on tv isn't gonna help oski, he/she/it needs your walk up support at the battle at the barricade

throw caution/your linear schedule to the wind (lots of great seats available at haas tonite)#

Is Ivan sitting next to you tonight???
Shocky1
Beardog26;842819248 said:

Without resorting to insults, let's just set the record straight:

Cal Rugby pays 100% of its operating costs, including but not limited to travel, equipment, administration, coaching, etc.

The program also pays 100% of its indirect costs, including but not limited to its share of insurance premiums, medical costs below deductibles, salaries and benefits for media relations and athletic trainers, fundraising, and all other assignable costs.

Cal Rugby does not offer or provide scholarships to any of its players.

Additionally, Cal Rugby pays $150,000 towards two women's sports teams annually.

jack clark reached out to me this afternoon & we had a heated but respectful conversation on several matters

i expressed my concerns re: a confidential matter involving the cal basketball program & he shared with me his perspective on that issue...i now better understand his point of view & i will not attack him in any manner in the future

we also discussed the rugby program's costs & clark provided me with several sources re: fact finding of key financial information, i will follow up on his suggestions, it is never my intent to say anything on the monster class that is not factually accurate
Shocky1
89Bear;842819282 said:

Is Ivan sitting next to you tonight???

sat with young ivee's high school coach/mentor lou richie along with former cal great/current nba scout for the atlanta hawks richard midgley...sitting 2 seats over, future potential 1st round quarterback davis webb told me he loves berkeley & will always be proudly saying he's a product of cal during future nfl introductions

visited with roxy after the game, he does over 100+ sporting events as an espn broadcaster (will also cover some ncca baseball for them this season) & told him his fashionista 4th grade daughter berklee brightens up any room

before leaving haas to close out this campaign shot baskets with my friend cole welle's sister (who can flat out shoot the rock) & little brother...told cole he's gotta take the open 3 pointer, he played with energy & passion tonite
HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Don Coleman is like a one-man-wrecking crew ... when he attacks the basket, bodies fly in every direction.
No need for Coach to remind him to Attack the Basket.
No sir. That's in his DNA.
Tonight, with his team short-handed and down big early, he took it upon himself and took on the entire roadrunner defense.
When #5 went off for 16 pts in the first half, it was Coleman who defended him (plus Grant and Domingo) who shut him down in the second half to give the Bears a shot.

TWENTY SIX POINTS, including 11-16 free throws and 4 rebounds[/SIZE]

Shocky1

contrary to the viewpoints of cal's tv fan base, the sky is not falling in berkeley

the cal basketball program is currently a top 3rd program in the pac 12 but quite frankly that's not enough for either coach martin or myself

cal's go all the way up class (2017) includes an infusion of highly talented immediate contributors that can flat out shoot the basketball & marcus lee told me before the game he's relentlessly worked with coach nic in the s&c program to a current 222 lbs (he weighed 211 lbs at the 2016 nba combine), there's a lot of upside to next season

but we're also at the fork in the road, is mike williams & his staff going to facilitate our program organically growing to the next level?

one path in the road is to maintain the status quo, if that's the case both coach martin & myself are probably gone...i saw every second of cal basketball live in person (despite living in north scottsdale) this season & cal's monster class is the most actively read thread (with almost 3 million views) in college basketball nationwide with a dedicated readership of targeted high school prospects, i'm not going to do that in the future (this might come as good news to the uptight critics of my work) if we're not going to build the necessary foundation for potential future championships

the other path in the road is for mike willliams along with his team of ashwin puri & jeremy wang to ensure the upward trajectory of the cal basketball program by enabling coach martin to win championships

3 things need to happen now:

1). ground breaking of the dedicated basketball practice facility within the next 12 months...we are very fortunate to have a generous lead donor but perhaps the scope of the facility needs to be downsized from its current projected construction costs of $27 million to get this going now...in any case, coach martin & me are done with the schematics & architectural plans, shovels need to be in the ground as the next step...the time of talking is ******* over, elite 5 star recruits wanna work on their nba development skills in a dedicated practice facility...period

2). arizona utilizes charter flights for all of its games away from tucson...our team usually flys on commercial flights which signficantly lengthens the time of road trips for our true student athletes at the #1 public (#3 overall) university in the world & takes away precious time from their studying/classwork obligations...the athletic dept management needs to guarantee that the team flys on charter flights to all future road games

3). the recruiting budget needs to be materially increased particularly with respects to charter flights at times for coach martin & his coaches, our recruiting budget is near the bottom of the pac 12...it's absolutely unacceptable that meb donor money is being inappropriately used for this fundamental expense, meb money is raised with the expectation that it's gonna be used for special program enhancements, not basic operating costs like recruiting

misinformed sources will tell you that we need to lower academic standards for incoming recruits, that's not true...the remarkable (both athletically & academically) cal's go all the way up class (2017) & the current strong recruitment of 2018 superstar jordan brown are proof that cal's worldwide recognized academic reputation is a plus not a minus

the future of the cal basketball program is now in the hands of mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang...are they gonna make the financial commitment/allocation of athletic department resources in taking the necessary steps in enabling coach martin to build a nationally elite basketball program or what?

yeah coach martin & me are a package deal...the cal basketball program is either gonna be supported with an all in manner or we're out

the time is now for everything#:gobears:
Shocky1
2018 off the charts superstar jordan brown scored 23 points along with 17 boards, 7 blocks & an unselfish 6 assists as his woodcreek timberwolves roamed the badlands 51-46 over them de la salle spartans

the university of california, berkeley (yeah it's under 100 miles from roseville):tree:tree:tree:tree
Shocky1
jemarl baker scored 16 points in leading his roosevelt mustangs to a deadly 61-56 range shooting of the taft toreadors (what's a toreador, is that like tostitios for fat azzs or something?)...roosevelt will now play arch rival corona centennial for a bizarre 5th time this season saturday nite for the so cal division 1 championship at the pyramid

cal's go all the way up class (2017) can lethally shoot a basketball (and that's a very good thing)#:horse
Shocky1

my favorite black & somoan mutt of mixed descent justice sueing jr scored 15 points as his mater dei monarchs were poor role models 63-57 for the st augustine saints...mater dei will now play bishop montgomery saturday nite for the so cal open championship

don't tell bad azz justice sueing sr but life is not always a walk on the beach on hawaii's north shore

comes & goes in waves (turtle bay food trucks)#:wave:wave:wave:wave
ccajon
Shocky1;842819566 said:

jack clark reached out to me this afternoon & we had a heated but respectful conversation on several matters

i expressed my concerns re: a confidential matter involving the cal basketball program & he shared with me his perspective on that issue...i now better understand his point of view & i will not attack him in any manner in the future

we also discussed the rugby program's costs & clark provided me with several sources re: fact finding of key financial information, i will follow up on his

suggestions, it is never my intent to say anything on the monster class that is not factually accurate

I, too did not mean to demean any of Rugbys NC's by saying they didn't count. Of course, I am thrilled as hell when any Cal teamwins a NC in any sport. I also am tickled to death when I hear about our yearly beating of the furds rugby team. Knowing that theteam is fully self sufficient and pays for itself changes my opinion of them. Too bad some of our other sports can't be self suffient. I also just wish
that any NC's a schools wins count towards the NCAA total. If that were the fact, we'd have more NC's then the furds do. (Well almost).
Shocky1
update: lorenzo romar will be relieved of his duties at head coach of washington this afternoon

Shocky1;842817350 said:

lorenzo romar will be retained next week if he agrees to make changes (less micromanaging & bringing in a x&o assistant coach like ken bone), otherwise the $ is available for his buyout in seattle but not enough $ to buyout an existing head coach to become the huskies future leader
SBGold
Shocky1;842819660 said:

update: lorenzo romar will be relieved of his duties at head coach of washington this afternoon

whoa, young Porter to Cal?
oskidunker
Why do you say that? Was Cal his second choice?
Shocky1
[video=youtube;dvqbivk7M_s][/video]

no excuses (stand up guys)#
parentswerebears
I would think that Daejon Davis would be more likely. Or Jaylen Nowell. I don't ever remember Porter being linked to us.
Shocky1
missouri athletic director jim sterk & executive athletic director brian white interviewed coach martin sunday in the bay area & have extended an actionable offer for the tigers head coaching position
MoragaBear
Staff
ccajon;842819657 said:

I, too did not mean to demean any of Rugbys NC's by saying they didn't count. Of course, I am thrilled as hell when any Cal teamwins a NC in any sport. I also am tickled to death when I hear about our yearly beating of the furds rugby team. Knowing that theteam is fully self sufficient and pays for itself changes my opinion of them. Too bad some of our other sports can't be self suffient. I also just wish
that any NC's a schools wins count towards the NCAA total. If that were the fact, we'd have more NC's then the furds do. (Well almost).

It's not only that rugby's completely self-sufficient and contributes significantly to two women's programs, but rugby has some big donors, too, so the overall cost of eliminating rugby as a varsity sport would be a major issue in lost donations.

And has been mentioned before, Clark's willing to reduce roster size significantly, not to mention fully fund and staff a women's rugby team if it's part of a comprehensive plan to get title ix numbers into balance if they eliminate any other non-self sufficient sports.

Clark's most certainly a friend of Cal Athletics. In a major way.
Shocky1
mb, i had never talked to clark before (interesting he was able to obtain my cell phone # presumably from a cal athletic dept individual) but he did confirm he was willing to do his part with respects to the upcoming athletic department deficit initiatives by reducing his rugby roster
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.