Photo by Gabe Mayberry-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Football

Ashtyn Davis Will Miss Bowl Game

December 13, 2019
4,393

Safety Ashtyn Davis, one of the leaders of the Cal defense and a second team All-Pac-12 performer, will not play in the Redbox Bowl against Illinois Dec. 30 at Levi’s Stadium.

After the Bears’ first pre-bowl practice Friday afternoon, head coach Justin Wilcox disclosed that Davis, a senior, recently underwent “a procedure” that would keep him of the game.

“It was a minor procedure but it was something he needed to have done,” Wilcox said. “A guy like that is such a competitor and loves the team, it’s really difficult. It is something small but it had to happen. I am not sure it was avoidable.”

Wilcox was unequivocal in his belief that Davis really wants to play in the game. Some notable collegiate players in recent years have passed up their team’s bowl games in order to avoid injury that would hurt their prospects as pros. Wilcox said he knew of no current Bears who intend to exercise that option. 

The most obvious candidate is All-American linebacker Evan Weaver, but he has said publicly he will play on the 30th.

The other Bears who have been on the shelf recently. Including wide receiver Kekoa Crawford and defensive back Jaylinn Hawkins, are expected to be healthy enough to play. “We anticipate having them back,” he said. 

Wilcoix has a lot on his plate these days, bowl game preparation, recruiting (early signing period starts Wednesday) and hiring a new offensive coordinator as Beau Baldwin departs to become head coach at Cai Poly. 

Wilcox said there is no shortage of candidates. “There are a lot of good football coaches out there, a lot of interest in the job,” he said. “That’s how it goes. I am probably going to have to change my phone number, but that’s a good thing. People are interested.”

Wilcox declined to be specific about what traits he wants in his new OC.

“There are certain criteria we are looking for,” he said, “We will find somebody who fits our program who fits our players well, treats them well and fits in with our staff.

“I won’t talk about the hiring process publicly. I appreciate the interest. I know it matters to a lot of folks. Part of my job is being prepared for moments like this. They are dynamic, things change. We will get somebody very good who will fit in well, be a great coach and a great person.”

The players had not been on the field since the UCLA game Nov. 30. Wilcox said the layoff showed. “They looked like they have been off for a couple of weeks,” Wilcox said. “Their energy was good. We just haven’t been out here running routes, pushing the sled or striking people. There is that process to get back into it. But it will come quickly.”

O-line antics: The offensive linemen, who have a history of bizarre behavior as a group (remember they all showed up for fall camp wearing coveralls) are at it again. Each man’s hair color on Friday was not the one he was born with. 

“I bought like a 12 dollar kit at Safeway,” said Valentino Daltoso. “It is a little orange today but I am going to do it one more time, so it will be a little more blonde.”

When asked why the O-line pulls such stunts, he said. “It’s kind of funny,” he said. “I think it more just camaraderie.

Related:

Redbox Press Conference: Wilcox Praises Departing Baldwin





 

Discussion from...

Ashtyn Davis Will Miss Bowl Game

3,704 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Fyght4Cal
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's unfortunate. Good luck in the pros!
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.
Cal8285
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.
He was clearly injured on the final defensive play against UCLA. He was in pain on the bench while others were celebrating victory. I was worried at the time, will this injury prevent him from playing in the bowl. And you want to presume that Davis simply doesn't want to play and risk injury?

This team never discloses squat about injuries, but Davis clearly got injured. Is it conceivable that he wasn't injured enough to prevent him from playing? Sure. But it is also conceivable that he had surgery and shouldn't play, given that there is ZERO doubt he was hurt on that last play. Seems unfair to one of our guys who goes out there and gives his all for the team to now presume he could play in the bowl if he wanted.
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.

Wow. You really DO think you have all the answers. You must be TONS of fun at parties.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal8285 said:

GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.
He was clearly injured on the final defensive play against UCLA. He was in pain on the bench while others were celebrating victory. I was worried at the time, will this injury prevent him from playing in the bowl. And you want to presume that Davis simply doesn't want to play and risk injury?

This team never discloses squat about injuries, but Davis clearly got injured. Is it conceivable that he wasn't injured enough to prevent him from playing? Sure. But it is also conceivable that he had surgery and shouldn't play, given that there is ZERO doubt he was hurt on that last play. Seems unfair to one of our guys who goes out there and gives his all for the team to now presume he could play in the bowl if he wanted.
I support Davis skipping a dumb exhibition when he otherwise could play. It's the smart move.

I don't support JW lying about it.
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.

Wow. You really DO think you have all the answers. You must be TONS of fun at parties.




+1,000,000. What a barrel of fun....not
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You are Disrespectful.


Thank you Ashtyn
Go Bears
southseasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

Cal8285 said:

GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.
He was clearly injured on the final defensive play against UCLA. He was in pain on the bench while others were celebrating victory. I was worried at the time, will this injury prevent him from playing in the bowl. And you want to presume that Davis simply doesn't want to play and risk injury?

This team never discloses squat about injuries, but Davis clearly got injured. Is it conceivable that he wasn't injured enough to prevent him from playing? Sure. But it is also conceivable that he had surgery and shouldn't play, given that there is ZERO doubt he was hurt on that last play. Seems unfair to one of our guys who goes out there and gives his all for the team to now presume he could play in the bowl if he wanted.
I support Davis skipping a dumb exhibition when he otherwise could play. It's the smart move.

I don't support JW lying about it.
"Lying?" Davis has had injury issues this year. What makes you think JW is lying?
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

A little procedure. Right.

He didn't want to play and risk injury. It's cool JW, you aint gotta lie to kick it.
What a duechebag comment.
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
l actually get it, JW is protecting his players from negative perceptions about AD. I just figured it'd be so obvious he wouldn't bother.
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal fans can't fathom a Cal player putting their career before a bowl game lmao. AD has that right. More power to him.
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

Cal fans can't fathom a Cal player putting their career before a bowl game lmao. AD has that right. More power to him.
I don't understand why you think your guess is the truth. I do agree some players protect themselves from injuries and don't play in the bowl game. Wilcox could have said Davis is doubtful to play an no one would have ever known. I think Davis needed the procedure now to be able to train for the combine. He would have lost almost 4 weeks if he didn't.
Northside91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who gives a crap either way? The bottom line is he's not playing. There's no way to know what the motivation is, good, bad or other, assuming one can be bothered to make those kinds of judgments at all.

And the coach speak is part and parcel of the modern day sports media experience. Hank Stram was a million years ago, and guys like Monty are an exception. In the vast majority of cases, the public comment is going to be completely lacking in content. It's only interesting when an inane question gets on someone's last nerve and they flip out, and even then the flip outs are usually not very creative.
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goobear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cal fans can't fathom a Cal player putting their career before a bowl game lmao. AD has that right. More power to him.
I don't understand why you think your guess is the truth. I do agree some players protect themselves from injuries and don't play in the bowl game. Wilcox could have said Davis is doubtful to play an no one would have ever known. I think Davis needed the procedure now to be able to train for the combine. He would have lost almost 4 weeks if he didn't.
that's protecting himself, which I support. He doesn't need the procedure, but is doing it to prepare for his career.
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

Goobear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cal fans can't fathom a Cal player putting their career before a bowl game lmao. AD has that right. More power to him.
I don't understand why you think your guess is the truth. I do agree some players protect themselves from injuries and don't play in the bowl game. Wilcox could have said Davis is doubtful to play an no one would have ever known. I think Davis needed the procedure now to be able to train for the combine. He would have lost almost 4 weeks if he didn't.
that's protecting himself, which I support. He doesn't need the procedure, but is doing it to prepare for his career.


"He doesn't need the procedure"....?

Mmmm.... ok sure.
Cal8285
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life said:

Goobear said:

GBear4Life said:

Cal fans can't fathom a Cal player putting their career before a bowl game lmao. AD has that right. More power to him.
I don't understand why you think your guess is the truth. I do agree some players protect themselves from injuries and don't play in the bowl game. Wilcox could have said Davis is doubtful to play an no one would have ever known. I think Davis needed the procedure now to be able to train for the combine. He would have lost almost 4 weeks if he didn't.
that's protecting himself, which I support. He doesn't need the procedure, but is doing it to prepare for his career.
If you are his doctor, then you are violating HIPAA. If not, then you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Which is it?
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I listened to his interview a second time, and I am positive that JW confirmed that the previously injured JEREMIAH Hawkins will be available to play in the bowl game, along with Kekoa Crawford.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.