Photo by Twitter / Derek Wilkins
Cal Football

Bears Beat out Top National Comp For Wilkins' Commitment

August 8, 2020
9,682

6-4/250 Santa Margarita Catholic DE Derek Wilkins has been high on the Bears' list of targets from the onset. Today they secured his commitment with his commitment announced via Instagram.

“First off, I’d like to thank God for all the amazing blessings he’s provided me throughout my life. Without him, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

“I’d like to thank my mom and dad for helping me be the man I am today. I love you guys. To the best team I’ve ever had, thank you for sticking with me through all the highs and lows...Thanks to all the coaches who have helped develop me as a player. 

Bear Insider

“Last, I’d like to thank every coach who recruited me throughout he recruiting process. It’s means a lot. 

“With all that being said, I’d like to say that I’ll be continuing my academic and athletic career at The University of California. Go Bears, baby!”

Rated 4 stars (90) by 247 and high 3 stars (5.7) by Rivals, Wilkins has long been tied to prior commits Akili Calhoun‍  and friend Mavin Anderson‍ as well as TE Jermaine Terry‍. Wilkins will team with Calhoun and recent DL commit Myles Williams‍ for what’s looking like a devastating future D-Line for the Bears.

As a junior, Wilkins had 54 tackles, seven sacks, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and three blocked kicks for Santa Margarita Catholic. 

The Bears beat out Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Nebraska and more for Wilkins’ commitment. The commitment over Stanford, who Wilkins had already been admitted to, was the Bears second big head to head victory over the Cardinal after securing 4 star WR J Michael Sturdivant‍ earlier this summer.

WIlkins becomes the 17th commitment in Cal’s 2021 class, currently ranked number 20 in 247 2021 class rankings.

Other stories:

Local De La Salle DB Lu Hearns Commits to Cal

Bears Stay Hot in July, Adding Bishop Alemany DE Myles Williams

Discussion from...

Bears Beat out Top National Comp For Wilkins' Commitment

7,375 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bearly Clad
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ahhhhhh Yeahhhh!!!!


Watch out P12 QBs

Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the Bear Family Mr. Wilkins! Enjoy your big day, I couldn't be happier for you. I'm sure your parents and Grandma (may she rest in peace) are incredibly proud of you today, too. I can't wait to see what's in store for your future, and it's a Great Day to be a Bear; welcome to the University of California!
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An excellent 40 year decision! Welcome!
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Go Bears! Welcome Derek!
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
QBs beware! Can't wait to see this young man get after it. Going to be fun watching him get better.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).

CalBearinLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).




Take a shot!...who else has been waiting for this comment? You always want to act like the smartest in the room, but come off as the most petty. What is your point?
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GREAT GREAT NEWS!

Go Bears!
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Derek welcome to Cal. Wishing you nothing but great success on and off the field. Go Bears!
m2bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stanfurd or Cal.... hmmm

This is how you know Derek is a very smart young man.

Welcome to Paradise, Derek
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow.
CalBearPete
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome Derek. You are going to be part of a terrific defense that will dominate the PAC 12. Memorial Stadium will rock (yes, we'll get through this pandemic and 2021 will be a good year).
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalBearinLA said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).




Take a shot!...who else has been waiting for this comment? You always want to act like the smartest in the room, but come off as the most petty. What is your point?
Well...

I think that my point is accuracy in reporting. When I was writing for this site, I double checked every item that I posted to ensure accuracy. In essence, it is about having pride in your work. Sloppy reporting substantially detracts from the overall quality of the product.

Had the reporter said that neither site had Cal listed in the Top 25, I would have posted that, in fact, 247 Composite has Cal listed #22.

In other words, a reporter's credibility only goes as far as his effort to provide correct information to the readership.
oskirules
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I watched a lot of highlight videos and don't remember seeing one with so many blocked kicks and forced fumbles. He's a player and makes things happen.

GoOoOoOoOoBears!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal, Derek! You now have what I'm guessing is your first Australian fan. I'm thrilled that you chose Cal and wish you nothing but the best on and off the field. Congratulations on your remarkable accomplishments.

Go Derek and GO BEARS!
swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moraga,

Given what a train wreck Rivals has become, it was very politically correct of you to mention the Rival's rating for young Mr. Wilkens. To me, he is a solid 4**** recruit who selected Cal over a hand full of college football blue bloods.
Welcome to Cal Derek.

91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the family, Derek! Go Bears!

Absolutely terrific to get great news at least once a week with all the uncertainty at present (& ahead)!
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

CalBearinLA said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).




Take a shot!...who else has been waiting for this comment? You always want to act like the smartest in the room, but come off as the most petty. What is your point?
Well...

I think that my point is accuracy in reporting. When I was writing for this site, I double checked every item that I posted to ensure accuracy. In essence, it is about having pride in your work. Sloppy reporting substantially detracts from the overall quality of the product.

Had the reporter said that neither site had Cal listed in the Top 25, I would have posted that, in fact, 247 Composite has Cal listed #22.

In other words, a reporter's credibility only goes as far as his effort to provide correct information to the readership.


#20
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
*Wilkins, but yea I agree. Looks like the COVIDs must've finally got me, because I'm looking around at this '21 class and suddenly I'm in football heaven.

It was real cool getting to know you all but I've got no regrets. Crazy to think that if I'd held on just a little bit longer I could have seen KEO join our front-seven too
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearly Clad said:

*Wilkins, but yea I agree. Looks like the COVIDs finally got me, I'm looking around at this '21 class and suddenly I'm in football heaven.

It was real cool getting to know you all but I've got no regrets. Crazy to think that if I'd held on just a little bit longer I could have seen KEO join our front-seven too

Wut?!
BearfanEric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That site still only has 1 4 for Cal right now. That is atrocious. Calhoun, Sturdivant, Milner and Anderson in particular are rated as 4s by most other sites.
BearfanEric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like most of your post are downers. Cal has an awesome class right now and there are a few other big fish that can put this class over the top. Let's celebrate.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearfanEric said:

That site still only has 1 4 for Cal right now. That is atrocious. Calhoun, Sturdivant, Milner and Anderson in particular are rated as 4s by most other sites.
The best is 247 Composite. It is a collective review of all major recruiting sites. Cal has five four stars by their reckoning.
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, probably a terrible time to make that joke since it could actually be real. My bad if I confused anyone, and sorry if it's a little insensitive.

But I'm a little surprised to you around here now that you're famous NYC!
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

71Bear said:

CalBearinLA said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).




Take a shot!...who else has been waiting for this comment? You always want to act like the smartest in the room, but come off as the most petty. What is your point?
Well...

I think that my point is accuracy in reporting. When I was writing for this site, I double checked every item that I posted to ensure accuracy. In essence, it is about having pride in your work. Sloppy reporting substantially detracts from the overall quality of the product.

Had the reporter said that neither site had Cal listed in the Top 25, I would have posted that, in fact, 247 Composite has Cal listed #22.

In other words, a reporter's credibility only goes as far as his effort to provide correct information to the readership.


#20

Indeed! The change from 22 to 20 reflects a change in ranking for Hearns. They bumped him from zero to three stars after I posted my comments. Thanks for noticing!
Top_Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love this GIF! That tree just needs a cardinal block letter S to be perfect.

Great to hear Wilkins has committed to Cal. Can't wait to see him on the field mowing down opponents.
RighteousGoldenBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to a number of Santa Margarita games this past season....this guy is a man among kids in his style of play. Glad we got him!! Go Bears!
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).


Based on the above article, I would say that Cal has some influencers in this recruiting class. What do you think?
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CalBearPete said:

Welcome Derek. You are going to be part of a terrific defense that will dominate the PAC 12. Memorial Stadium will rock (yes, we'll get through this pandemic and 2021 will be a good year).


For a while I was a little worried when I noticed so many good Recruits on the Offensive side of the ball
Then came some excellent Defensive players topping them off today with Wilkins.
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome Derek, you are joining a class that is somewhat unprecedented with quality on both offense and defense. So, look forward to playing on teams that will have an unusual balance on offense and defense. In the recent past, Cal went from great offenses, averaging over 40 points a game but with an equally horrible defense that gave up even more to a great defense holding teams to around 20 points a game with an equally awful offense that scored just as little. Furthermore Cal's offense is poised to be truly balanced, with quality and depth at both receiver and RB and a QB that can both run and pass.

Even under Jeff Tedford, the last HC to lead Cal to a conference title (co-champions in 2004 and 2006), Cal really only had balance in the three areas mentioned above during those championship years.

Really the only thing standing in the way is this annoying little invisible thing that catalyzes auto-immune responses in folks with conditions that make them susceptible to disease. I don't think we're going to be able to recruit our way out of that one, unless of course one of you is planning to go into immunology.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).


Based on the above article, I would say that Cal has some influencers in this recruiting class. What do you think?
No. The Bears do not have commitments from any of the Top 150 players in the country.

Quite frankly, a true "influencer" is a rare commodity. Cal would be fortunate to sign one or two a year max. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a handful who were signed by Cal in the last 30 years.

Note: I'm not talking about guys who are just highly ranked. I am talking about guys who are highly ranked and have the ability to turn a program around or drive it to the next level with their play and how they are perceived by their colleagues in the football community.
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).





Regardless of how Rivals ranks Cal-the point is that they have slipped and the quality and depth of their recruiting information is inferior.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NVBear78 said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).





Regardless of how Rivals ranks Cal-the point is that they have slipped and the quality and depth of their recruiting information is inferior.
I agree. That is why I switched to 247 Composite.
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

One correction: Rivals does not list Cal in the Top 25. They currently have the Bears ranked #32 (including the Wilkins commitment).


Based on the above article, I would say that Cal has some influencers in this recruiting class. What do you think?
No. The Bears do not have commitments from any of the Top 150 players in the country.

Quite frankly, a true "influencer" is a rare commodity. Cal would be fortunate to sign one or two a year max. Off the top of my head, I can think of only a handful who were signed by Cal in the last 30 years.

Note: I'm not talking about guys who are just highly ranked. I am talking about guys who are highly ranked and have the ability to turn a program around or drive it to the next level with their play and how they are perceived by their colleagues in the football community.
That is such a vague definition that it is almost impossible to target them. How do you know beforehand who they are? Who are they for 2021 and 2022? Do you know? How many of those 150 ever have the academics to get into Cal? Of those few, how many would rather be coached by a Cal coach than be coached by the best in the country--Guys like Saban, Sweeney etc?

These type of guys know they have what it takes to get to the NFL and make a financial killing. Why do they need a Cal education? You can make enough to last 40 years in just 3 NFL years if you are a top draft pick and you know how to manage money.
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love seeing 'furd ranked 91st in team recruit rankings.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.