Story Poster
Photo by UC Berkeley
Cal Basketball

The future of Cal Athletics is in question

December 3, 2023
30,545

Cal holds a unique place in the world as an institution of higher learning, a catalyst for societal change, and a magnet for world-class students and teachers.   

There’s no doubt that the ethos of the University of California lies in its intellectual and academic brand.   And while that brand can be amplified and reinforced by success in athletics, such success has to occur in a manner consistent with that brand.

This article is not intended to evolve Cal into something it simply never has been or ever will be.   Instead, it’s a wake-up call that what the University wants and arguably needs from athletics is at existential risk. 

We start with the presumption that Cal, as the flagship of the UC system and the most renowned and respected public institution of learning in the world, sees value in offering students the ability to compete at the very highest levels of athletic competition.   And that through athletics, not only do those students who participate have their experience at Cal enriched but a sense of permanent community and connection is created with the broader student population.   And given that Cal increasingly relies on private donations to fund itself, the athletic teams that represent the University are essential to ongoing alumni and donor engagement.

With that belief in place, one has to admit the reality that all of Cal’s athletic programs exist and are enabled only through the revenue generated by the football program.  Men’s basketball can and usually does contribute a small amount of profit and other sports through endowments are somewhat self-sufficient, yet the Athletic Department as a whole exists because of football. 

Football contributes between $25 and $35M annually to the Athletic Department, after paying 100% of its own expenses.  If that money were to go away or be seriously mitigated, it’s not simply that sports would have to be cut, the infrastructure that supports any remaining programs would be seriously tested.   And far more importantly in the long term, Cal without football that matters would almost certainly lead to the loss of connection students and alumni have with the University, easily costing the school billions of dollars in future donations. 

Despite the above, Cal has never prioritized football much less seen the obvious ROI in investing in the program.  In fact, they have ignored the fiscal realities embraced by virtually every other major university over the last several decades and chosen to do just the opposite.   Starting roughly in 2007, Cal’s then Athletic Director Sandy Barbour made the decision to take all donations made to football above a certain dollar threshold and reallocate those dollars to balance the broader athletic department budget.  Let’s be very plain about this - donors were being intentionally misled and critical dollars needed for football to keep the team competitive, fill Memorial Stadium, and catalyze broader donations and giving to the University were being spent elsewhere.  At another institution, it's not hard to imagine that this kind of financial chicanery would have resulted in multiple people being fired once it came to light.   

That practice continued unabated until an exiting administrator shared these details with a group of donors which led to the creation of the Championship Caliber Fund, which places football donors in a separate auditable fund tracked by donors to ensure it is spent only on football and at the discretion of the head football coach.   A fund whose existence was fought against by the school until it was clear that donors would simply stop giving without it.   Decades of inadequate funding put the football program in a position where not only were its relative revenues declining but it was in the bottom quartile of Pac-12 programs with its operating budget, effectively eliminating it from being consistently competitive.    In addition, fan and donor support had slipped to the point that Cal came within a single vote from North Carolina State of not existing -  at least not in a form that would have any chance of continuing to support the University’s mission of athletic diversity and long-term alumni engagement. 

It’s now the end of 2023, Cal has been given a lifeline via admission into the ACC.   As a result of timely and effective fundraising and organizational administration catalyzed by donors and specifically the Bear Insider community, Cal created an NIL program that has allowed Cal football and men’s basketball to be competitive.   Yet the future of the NIL collective is uncertain as its momentum is stymied by a decade-plus of the school’s willful failure to make the institutional commitment and investment necessary for football.

If Cal truly does want to have a viable athletic program, the way forward is clear.   The leadership of the Chancellor, the Athletic Director, and the head football coach have to be committed to a consistently winning football program and they have to be capable of executing against that goal.   Further, Cal needs to either see a meaningful shift in the approach of its existing large donors to athletics or very quickly catalyze a new generation of athletic philanthropists.   

It starts with the Chancellor.  The search is underway to replace Carol Christ and the Regents have to decide whether they believe in and care to support the value of Cal having a strong athletic program.  If they do, the new Chancellor must have a background and understanding of today's college football landscape and be prepared to be a change agent, evaluating and as necessary evolving every aspect of the Athletic Department:  How it is led and run, and the critical importance of supporting and investing in the football program.   If you care about athletics at Cal, if you believe in the value that it provides the University, then you need to be laser-focused on the search for a new Chancellor.  One cannot overstate the importance of hiring the right person for this role for the future of Cal athletics. 

The history of Cal athletics and football as it has existed for 100 years is no longer relevant to the present or future.  Disappointment, regret, and hand-wringing on both how Cal has handled donor relations in the past as well as how college athletics at large have evolved with the large amounts of money now involved, doesn’t change the reality of where things sit today.   Cal cannot complain its way to success or even survival.  It needs to adapt to the facts on the ground as every other team competing at this level has done and is doing.  Once Cal accepts this reality it must solve the problem of how Cal, with its unique place in the universe of higher learning, finds a way to not only survive but to thrive given the new reality.   Instead of being a victim of the changed circumstance, Cal can be a leader to help resolve the difficult puzzle of reconciling conference realignment, student-athlete well-being, and how to blend the profit motive of the NCAA, TV networks, and the conferences into a more reasoned and practical foundation for the future. 

Once a Chancellor is in place who is awake to the current situation and equipped to tackle the inherent challenges, Cal’s most critical decision is to ensure that Cal has an Athletic Director who embraces and enables the prioritization of football with a near-term goal of ensuring Cal survives the next round of conference musical chairs.   

That Athletic Director has to be a big-picture thinker.  Someone who cares less about being a risk mitigator and more about investing against and solving for the opportunities and challenges that ensure Cal can have a vibrant and successful athletic program a decade from now.  They need to truly understand and create plans for fan and donor engagement, including making former student-athletes continue to feel like part of the Cal family.  They need to hire administrators who realize their job is to support and enable the football program rather than find ways to continuously block every innovation that could lead to success.  It is undeniable that Cal has institutionally empowered a group of mid-level bureaucrats who see their sole job to say “no” to whatever question is put in front of them.  They are continuously rewarded and promoted for doing so.  This cultural failure, as much as anything, lies at the root of many of Cal’s challenges in achieving success in its revenue sports.  And Cal desperately needs strong leaders at both the Chancellor and the Athletic Director level who can help to shift this paradigm.     

Balancing the budget, which has occupied the majority of the current administration’s focus for several years, is an insufficiency and becomes criminal when it requires under-investing in the program which the entirety of the department relies on for revenue.  Cal’s Athletic Director has to see their primary job as removing roadblocks from the Bears having a winning football program and hiring and then holding the head football coach accountable for success. 

Again, let’s be clear.  You can have academic integrity, enjoy the value of high-character student-athletes be part of Cal’s unique culture, and still win football games.   This is not a zero-sum game.   Stanford, Cal’s arch-rival, had a top 10 program nationally for nealry a decade in the very recent past.    

An expertise in football, a background in marketing, and the ability to think holistically about Cal amid a challenging and dynamic landscape are essential skills for the Athletic Director. 

It is not easy to be the head football coach at Cal.  Sonny Dykes success at TCU underscores that success comes not simply from the leader of the football program as much as the institutional support behind them.   That said, the head coach has to be a willing fundraiser, someone who can catalyze donor support.  They have to have an almost misguided level of confidence that they can win at Cal and a near ruthless resolve to make decisions using the simple lens of what will help this team win football games. 

They cannot be afraid of pushing back on the Athletic Director, the Chancellor, and the University.  Upsetting the apple cart and occasionally breaking glass has to be part of the job description.   Cal’s historical problem has often been that it has been too deeply rooted in the acceptance of mediocrity and solving for things other than how best to support football. 

Lastly, the donor base has to educate itself and wake up to the reality of today's college athletics landscape.  The transfer portal, NIL, conference re-alignment, etc.   If they truly want Cal to have a vibrant athletic program into the medium-term future, they need to not only step up with their wallets, they need to hold accountable the Chancellor, the AD, and the head football coach in a way that frankly has not historically felt comfortable for this group.  There has been, and continues to be, far too much focus from our donor community on either the grievances of the past or some idealized conceptualization of what college athletics “should” be.  The reality is that college athletes can now earn money, much as every other college student has always been able to do.  Decrying this phenomenon does not change the reality.  We either need to live with this or we need to abandon the pretense that we are competing at the highest level.  And candidly concerns over the soul of athletics by those who have stood by, and often facilitated, more and more money pouring into coaching staffs and facilities rings hollow. Money is part of athletics.  It always has been.   

The transfer portal opens tomorrow.  There’s a real chance that Cal’s most exciting and dynamic football talent over the past ten years will leave the Bears because another school has shown they care more about football and him than does Cal.   For the Cal Legends Collective to have anything close to the level of sufficient resources for the Bears to have a winning football program in 2024, at least one large cornerstone donor has to immediately be found.. 

The status quo is simply not tenable.  A 6-6 regular season and minor bowl isn’t going to lead to new season ticket sales and increased donations to football.  If resources aren’t found, more good players are going to leave and Cal will be unable to compete in the transfer portal to find competitive replacements.   

TIme is running out.

Discussion from...

The future of Cal Athletics is in question

25,065 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by juarezbear
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nofado said:

Bring back another Chancellor Tien
> Tien died in Redwood City, California at the age of 67. A brain tumor had forced him into hospitalization two years earlier; while hospitalized, he suffered a stroke from which he never fully recovered. He was survived by his wife Di-Hwa..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang-Lin_Tien
touchdownbears43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where's the info about Ott leaving?
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bencgilmore said:

Torres is the clear leader. The MWC commish is also a Cal alum and has significant experience, albeit slightly different than a straight AD.

We need Torres though, she appears to be a rockstar


Why? How does she stand out?
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
touchdownbears43 said:

Where's the info about Ott leaving?
Third to last paragraph.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
UrsineMaximus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

UrsineMaximus said:

So whom does BI recommend/endorse as the next Chancellor? Is BI suggesting that Wilcox is not fully engaged in fundraising? Lastly, is "the talent", in fact, Ott?


Who else would you classify as the most exciting player in the last 10 years that is still currently with the team?
This is the second opinion piece from BI in the last week. There has been a lot of "speaking in tongues" in these pieces. e.g. Spav "had to go"? Suggestion that the HC isn't actively involved in fund raising. Along w/ other things.
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsineMaximus said:

Econ141 said:

UrsineMaximus said:

So whom does BI recommend/endorse as the next Chancellor? Is BI suggesting that Wilcox is not fully engaged in fundraising? Lastly, is "the talent", in fact, Ott?


Who else would you classify as the most exciting player in the last 10 years that is still currently with the team?
This is the second opinion piece from BI in the last week. There has been a lot of "speaking in tongues" in these pieces. e.g. Spav "had to go"? Suggestion that the HC isn't actively involved in fund raising. Along w/ other things.


The one before this one was a real head scratcher. I don't know what it's purpose was. Then it was followed by this one which basically confirms that another school has an offer out on Ott (probably illegal) ... he's gone, the slow leak is to prevent us all from going bonkers when he says "once a bear always a bear."
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover said:

bencgilmore said:

Torres is the clear leader. The MWC commish is also a Cal alum and has significant experience, albeit slightly different than a straight AD.

We need Torres though, she appears to be a rockstar


Why? How does she stand out?
Well she's an alum. She has almost 6 years experience at SDSU. She was a proponent of getting a new stadium. There are youtube videos of her promoting athletics nearly speaking identically to some of the points made by the original poster of this thread. I'm sure she's not the only one that would be considered. But I think she probably represents a potential pick that is closest to home.
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Econ141 said:

UrsineMaximus said:

So whom does BI recommend/endorse as the next Chancellor? Is BI suggesting that Wilcox is not fully engaged in fundraising? Lastly, is "the talent", in fact, Ott?


Who else would you classify as the most exciting player in the last 10 years that is still currently with the team?
This is the second opinion piece from BI in the last week. There has been a lot of "speaking in tongues" in these pieces. e.g. Spav "had to go"? Suggestion that the HC isn't actively involved in fund raising. Along w/ other things.


The one before this one was a real head scratcher. I don't know what it's purpose was. Then it was followed by this one which basically confirms that another school has an offer out on Ott (probably illegal) ... he's gone, the slow leak is to prevent us all from going bonkers when he says "once a bear always a bear."
Well, based on NIL collective data/valuation, Jaydn Ott is ranked 22nd for running backs. Two running backs ranked ahead of him are not even in college yet. He is ranked 199th overall across all positions. The website is on3.com. Shows his valuation declined by about $50k. Not sure why it declined. Does a player look at this and say, "well, its time for me to find greener pastures"? I guess I'll prepare myself for the worst. Unfortunate.
kirklandblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the Chancellor(or next one) and the Regents (or any others in the academic realm possessing influence) can read this, substituting "Berkeley" for each "Cal", and get it to sink in, perhaps there can be productive change. In the end, they are one and the same.
bledblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big Dog said:

She;s been at Cal 7 years, which is about average for a Uni leader. She is ~80 years old. She is not resigning, she is retiring.

That said, disappointed that she didn't take the opportunity to clean the Athletic House, so to speak, before the new Chancellor takes over. But then, it will require months of study, planning and negotiations, and after obtaining a lifeline from the ACC, I could make the case that there is not enough time left to prepare a plan for future athletics.
Maybe. EVERYONE needs to send Carol an email, demanding that Knowlton be fired immediately! She doesn't seem to listen to the handful of donors who want him fired with cause ( based on the swimming issues).

Give it a try! Maybe 2-3k emails will change things.

cchrist@berkeley.edu

Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bledblue said:

Big Dog said:

She;s been at Cal 7 years, which is about average for a Uni leader. She is ~80 years old. She is not resigning, she is retiring.

That said, disappointed that she didn't take the opportunity to clean the Athletic House, so to speak, before the new Chancellor takes over. But then, it will require months of study, planning and negotiations, and after obtaining a lifeline from the ACC, I could make the case that there is not enough time left to prepare a plan for future athletics.
Maybe. EVERYONE needs to send Carol an email, demanding that Knowlton be fired immediately! She doesn't seem to listen to the handful of donors who want him fired with cause ( based on the swimming issues).

Give it a try! Maybe 2-3k emails will change things.

cchrist@berkeley.edu




For the love of God don't do this. I've done this and it will only piss off those that do. You write a heartfelt, thoughtful letter and then get the standardized canned response. It will piss you off to get that and then because there is ZERO transparency at Berkeley, you will have no clue whether your email made a difference. There is zero transparency, zero urgency at this University for athletics. Yes I am Eeyore but this university has done ZERO to give me hope. The realignment fiasco and the fact we have no idea what Carol or Knowlton's role was speaks volumes to how little an email will do.
bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The phrase we all fear: "With that being said…."
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
touchdownbears43 said:

Where's the info about Ott leaving?

There isn't any. It's speculation.
JimSox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Where's the info about Ott leaving?

There isn't any. It's speculation.


And Mendoza says he's staying, so there's that.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JimSox said:

sycasey said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Where's the info about Ott leaving?

There isn't any. It's speculation.


And Mendoza says he's staying, so there's that.

The speculation is reasonable, given what's said in the article. But it's still just speculation.
MrGPAC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are stuck waiting on christ to retire. Whoever takes over will want a say in who we pick for ad as balancing the sports budget will be a priority for them.

The timing is really bad. We don't have a year to wait on the decision but it's what is going to happen. I just hope that cleaning up this mess is a question being asked during the interview process and that whoever we get has a damned good plan from the get go.
hbear777
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bockrath told Snyder when his contract was up - no raise, don't like it , then leave, I found you, I'll find another Bruce Snyder. So he left to ASU-took Jake the snake and others and staated after leaving" the school that scares the hell outta me is CAL-thee a sleeping Giant" (he made them a giant and a TD away v Wash from Bears sharing the NC w/ Colo instead of WASH)
Bockraith- ego- then went to ALA and ruined their Fball program with terrible hires.
We hired the tremendous OC from Wash, ran our exact playbook, Gilbertson, but zero discipline. I new John Welborn's dad, OT, he told his dad that he is a playas coach...except the players run the team and Fat Gilby is just a fat buddy of the players,, driving his pink caddy he bought on Tekegraph when he signed. The guy that is a great X O's but doesn't fit into the command role.
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Cal ready to dump 10 sports? Ready to axe academic support, tantra coach, nutrition coaches, DEI (unless UC pays for it), Assistant Director of This, That, and Other? Ramp down salaries for others, and get used to frequent staff turnover?
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hbear777 said:

Bockrath told Snyder when his contract was up - no raise, don't like it , then leave, I found you, I'll find another Bruce Snyder. So he left to ASU-took Jake the snake and others and staated after leaving" the school that scares the hell outta me is CAL-thee a sleeping Giant" (he made them a giant and a TD away v Wash from Bears sharing the NC w/ Colo instead of WASH)
Bockraith- ego- then went to ALA and ruined their Fball program with terrible hires.
We hired the tremendous OC from Wash, ran our exact playbook, Gilbertson, but zero discipline. I new John Welborn's dad, OT, he told his dad that he is a playas coach...except the players run the team and Fat Gilby is just a fat buddy of the players,, driving his pink caddy he bought on Tekegraph when he signed. The guy that is a great X O's but doesn't fit into the command role.


Cal alum Dave Maggard was the Cal AD from 1972 to 1991 when he took the AD job at Miami. Bockrath was hired as his replacement in 1991 and left in 1993.

It does not absolve him of the crime of not extending Snyder in a timely manner, or once losing him, not promoting Mooch, who would likely have kept the offensive recruits in the fold and was cut out to be a college HC, instead of hiring UW's Gilby.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cal's monster class exclusive update:

the cal athletic department has borrowed $11,000,000 from the central campus instead of cutting teams/rightsizing the internal bureaucracy

cfo tom lowry has responded to my public information requests with the following statement:

"In FY 22, Cal Athletics borrowed $11M from Central Campus to help offset short term revenue losses, and properly characterized the loan for NCCA and external audit reporting. Campus agreed to provide an $11M interest only/forgiveable loan (FY22), with a 29 year loan (FY22-FY51), interest/payment free for ten years (FY22-32), at a 3% interest rate."

question for greg richardson: is secretly borrowing money from the central campus instead of reducing costs/cutting sports a financially sustainable course of action?
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover said:

Is Cal ready to dump 10 sports? Ready to axe academic support, tantra coach, nutrition coaches, DEI (unless UC pays for it), Assistant Director of This, That, and Other? Ramp down salaries for others, and get used to frequent staff turnover?


Here is a first pass:

1. The ACC only requires 4 sports: football. Men's and women's basketball, and either women's soccer or women's volleyball. I'd go with women's soccer. ACC is a great women's soccer league and volleyball is good out West.

2. All other sports (including woman's volleyball should be in the Big West competing in California against other UC's. We can probably convince Stanford to do the same but can still compete with them (and a few ACC teams) anyways. This will greatly reduce non/revenue sports travel expenses.

3. The remaining Olympic sports, now played in the Big West, may have to go to an Ivy "no scholarship, only financial aid" model. Apart from scholarships created by donors. The key draw is the admission slot to Cal and the provision of facilities and coaching.

4. I would outsource management of the 4 teams in the ACC to an alumni ruin non-profit that would market the teams, build a fan base in the East Bay and pay coaches and the players' NIL. Generally run these teams like a business.

5. This would allow Cal to slash athletics administration positions and salaries as they would only be running Olympic sports in the Big West.

6. Once all the above measures are taken, each sport can be reviewed for elimination, with particular attention to the men's teams due to Title 9 concerns. Every men's team needs to find itself and the deficit on a women's team or face elimination. As much as possible, combine men's and women's teams into essentially a single co-ed team that competes separately as we have done in swimming.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hbear777 said:

Bockrath told Snyder when his contract was up - no raise, don't like it , then leave, I found you, I'll find another Bruce Snyder. So he left to ASU-took Jake the snake and others and staated after leaving" the school that scares the hell outta me is CAL-thee a sleeping Giant" (he made them a giant and a TD away v Wash from Bears sharing the NC w/ Colo instead of WASH)
Bockraith- ego- then went to ALA and ruined their Fball program with terrible hires.
We hired the tremendous OC from Wash, ran our exact playbook, Gilbertson, but zero discipline. I new John Welborn's dad, OT, he told his dad that he is a playas coach...except the players run the team and Fat Gilby is just a fat buddy of the players,, driving his pink caddy he bought on Tekegraph when he signed. The guy that is a great X O's but doesn't fit into the command role.
No, Bockrath had Haas waiting to pay Snyder and then Chancellor num-nuts refused the Haas money because no coach should make more than the highest paid professor. Besides being rather naive, it demonstrated why in a market economy, what drives salaries are market forces, not artificial ideals. Look at coach salaries today versus professor salaries. Same with player income, which apparently has to be explained to Chancellor no nuts.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:



update re: yesterday's zoom call between knowlton & the acc commish

the acc commish is encouraging cal to play more west coast teams in non conference play particularly mid majors during the middle of acc conference play

the commish fully understands (unlike the con artist) the importance of the sec football scheduling model of a-c-c-d games to ensure bowl eligibility

right now the bears for 2024 got an "a" game at auburn, a "b" game hosting san diego state & a "d" game hosting uc davis

it's absolutely critical that in cal's inaugural 2024 season in the acc that bowl eligibility is achieved from both a recruiting & fan base energy standpoint...there's gonna be another round of conference realignment in the future & if the bears aren't a perennial bowl team we're gonna be left behind, the mountain west is a death blow...reality is that cal is the acc because of the lobbying efforts of stanford's condeleezza rice & notre dame's jack swarbrick, it got nothing to do with jim or carol who wuz sitting on the sidelines with their hands in their pockets eating popcorn

so that's why not signing the oregon state and/or washington state future football game contracts that are sitting on knowlton's desk awaiting his signature should never be executed, the con artist is awaiting both schools dropping their lawsuits against the departing pac 12 schools

oregon state is a nationally ranked team that could mean cal is not bowl eligible in 2024, the bears got zero recruits from oregon in the current high school class & the fan base got zero interest in traveling to a drizzly azz truck stop town like corvallis anymore

the bears will be playing the irish in the future but not until the current notre dame/stanford series is done in 2025 & the nd tv deal with nbc is finalized...right now it's looking like 3 to 5 games during the next 12 years

the acc comish is working to replace the big 10 in the rose bowl, he's already got deals in place with the holiday bowl & the la bowl (which would be a huge boost for cal recruiting in so cal with usc & ucla games never happening again) for acc teams

not surprisingly at the end of the zoom, knowlton made a cheap shot comment about larry & george as pac 12 commishs which is ironically disingenuous coming from the worst/least qualified athletic director in the nation who plays dodgeball with every interview request

yeah the con artist is continuing his degradation of cal revenue sports, the 4th out of conference game for 2024 is absolutely critical with respects to the upward trajectory of the cal football program...he's made in clear he's not gonna cut any sports or reduce any of his massive infrastructure of worthless bureaucrats like himself & markeisha, financial comprehension/responsibility is not in his tool kit

only a dumb **** would schedule oregon state for 2024 (or extend mark fox's contract)

cap
cal's dumb as **** athletic director has signed the 2024 oregon state contract as 1st reported here, knowlton's clueless enablers will tell you the beavers are a beatable team but reality is that they've been a nationally ranked team the last 2 years & with martinez returning at rb they will be a 50/50 game for the bears next season

james arthur knowlton signed the oregon state contract despite the acc commish telling him to schedule a mid major mid season to ensure as many acc teams as possible are bowl eligible
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1 said:


Quote:



update re: yesterday's zoom call between knowlton & the acc commish

the acc commish is encouraging cal to play more west coast teams in non conference play particularly mid majors during the middle of acc conference play

the commish fully understands (unlike the con artist) the importance of the sec football scheduling model of a-c-c-d games to ensure bowl eligibility

right now the bears for 2024 got an "a" game at auburn, a "b" game hosting san diego state & a "d" game hosting uc davis

it's absolutely critical that in cal's inaugural 2024 season in the acc that bowl eligibility is achieved from both a recruiting & fan base energy standpoint...there's gonna be another round of conference realignment in the future & if the bears aren't a perennial bowl team we're gonna be left behind, the mountain west is a death blow...reality is that cal is the acc because of the lobbying efforts of stanford's condeleezza rice & notre dame's jack swarbrick, it got nothing to do with jim or carol who wuz sitting on the sidelines with their hands in their pockets eating popcorn

so that's why not signing the oregon state and/or washington state future football game contracts that are sitting on knowlton's desk awaiting his signature should never be executed, the con artist is awaiting both schools dropping their lawsuits against the departing pac 12 schools

oregon state is a nationally ranked team that could mean cal is not bowl eligible in 2024, the bears got zero recruits from oregon in the current high school class & the fan base got zero interest in traveling to a drizzly azz truck stop town like corvallis anymore

the bears will be playing the irish in the future but not until the current notre dame/stanford series is done in 2025 & the nd tv deal with nbc is finalized...right now it's looking like 3 to 5 games during the next 12 years

the acc comish is working to replace the big 10 in the rose bowl, he's already got deals in place with the holiday bowl & the la bowl (which would be a huge boost for cal recruiting in so cal with usc & ucla games never happening again) for acc teams

not surprisingly at the end of the zoom, knowlton made a cheap shot comment about larry & george as pac 12 commishs which is ironically disingenuous coming from the worst/least qualified athletic director in the nation who plays dodgeball with every interview request

yeah the con artist is continuing his degradation of cal revenue sports, the 4th out of conference game for 2024 is absolutely critical with respects to the upward trajectory of the cal football program...he's made in clear he's not gonna cut any sports or reduce any of his massive infrastructure of worthless bureaucrats like himself & markeisha, financial comprehension/responsibility is not in his tool kit

only a dumb **** would schedule oregon state for 2024 (or extend mark fox's contract)

cap
cal's dumb as **** athletic director has signed the 2024 oregon state contract as 1st reported here, knowlton's clueless enablers will tell you the beavers are a beatable team but reality is that they've been a nationally ranked team the last 2 years & with martinez returning at rb they will be a 50/50 game for the bears next season

james arthur knowlton signed the oregon state contract despite the acc commish telling him to schedule a mid major mid season to ensure as many acc teams as possible are bowl eligible


More proof he is trying to tank the program. Great way to get on the good side of the ACC commish by ignoring his recommendation. I bet he signed up for an away game too, that moron.

What does it take to get fired at Berkeley?
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This article claims that a healthy football program is key to its entire athletic department. Yet, the viability is occurring at a time when revenues have surely never been higher.

1) something doesn't jive with that. Basic Math, how can that be?

2) How did the athletic department make things work in past decades of endless losing seasons?

3) it seems to me that Cal (et al) could sue the NCAA for creating a system of winners (Big10 and SEC) and losers (everyone else). Though, probably a non-Power5 conference would be a better plaintiff.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PS it seems to me that Harvard and Princeton are doing just fine without football tv revenue.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

PS it seems to me that Harvard and Princeton are doing just fine without football tv revenue.


Harvard has an endowment of $53 billion and an undergraduate student body size of 7,000. Berkeley has an endowment of $7 billion and an undergraduate student body size of 33,000.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

PS it seems to me that Harvard and Princeton are doing just fine without football tv revenue.

Massive endowments.
In fact, 26 of their head coaches and their salaries are supported via endowments.

Endowed Athletic Department Positions - Harvard University (gocrimson.com)

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WalterSobchak said:

Econ141 said:

Shocky1 said:

greg, ready your latest opinion & we're in agreement that cal football is in an existential place right now

but disagree with your conclusion that this is upon the next chancellor, that's not even close to reality in my opinion

the real problem is james arthur knowlton who has worked against the revenue sports from day one & unlike chancellor christ might still be around after she's gone on july 1st of 2024

asking fans to donate to an endeavor that wastes money with worthless bureaucrats & 30+ financially unsustainable sports is just wasting good money after bad money in the minds of many

knowlton is cancer for cal football...period


100% - i've been told to not only donate to the NIL but ask everyone I know to do it to save Cal football. Now I'm being told we need a new chancellor and AD. Double-u-tee-eff. Get rid of that moron and get better quick.
Cal Legends is a completely separate entity. It's literally our first and only hope to escape what Greg is describing. All he's saying is do both: 1) Give to Cal Legends. 2) Pressure the status quo for improvements, starting with the Regents and the new Chancellor appointment. They're not at all at odds. They're steps in the same plan forward out of the darkness.
Thinking outside the box: make each sport stand-alone on budget/income/expenses. Prevail, especially, upon alums of sports in which they are now professionals. Their preparation at Cal made it possible to earn a living at it. If it is not made self-sustaining? Gone as a varsity sport. Profits from football go as investments in these sports, not revenue.

We appear to be a sinking ship with no freight to throw overboard (Twain), as long as every crate is declared sacrosanct. What's the point of giving more money if it will be used to shore up a counter-productive enterprise?
Give more and everyone else gives still more, thereby merely raising the ante.
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

hbear777 said:

Bockrath told Snyder when his contract was up - no raise, don't like it , then leave, I found you, I'll find another Bruce Snyder. So he left to ASU-took Jake the snake and others and staated after leaving" the school that scares the hell outta me is CAL-thee a sleeping Giant" (he made them a giant and a TD away v Wash from Bears sharing the NC w/ Colo instead of WASH)
Bockraith- ego- then went to ALA and ruined their Fball program with terrible hires.
We hired the tremendous OC from Wash, ran our exact playbook, Gilbertson, but zero discipline. I new John Welborn's dad, OT, he told his dad that he is a playas coach...except the players run the team and Fat Gilby is just a fat buddy of the players,, driving his pink caddy he bought on Tekegraph when he signed. The guy that is a great X O's but doesn't fit into the command role.
No, Bockrath had Haas waiting to pay Snyder and then Chancellor num-nuts refused the Haas money because no coach should make more than the highest paid professor. Besides being rather naive, it demonstrated why in a market economy, what drives salaries are market forces, not artificial ideals. Look at coach salaries today versus professor salaries. Same with player income, which apparently has to be explained to Chancellor no nuts.


100% correct.
Tien was the decision maker. and yes, he was a complete numbnut.
CJ Loves Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

PS it seems to me that Harvard and Princeton are doing just fine without football tv revenue.
We are not an elite private school. We're a public school, and need broad based public goodwill to survive.

But 70 odd years ago, in the wake of the Ronnie Knox scandal, the Regents and a substantial percentage of the faculty decided that UCLA should be "our" public face for that purpose, so that said faculty could *pretend* they were at an elite private school, but on the public's dime (and without the pressure to conform socially and politically to what the Ivys then required.)

It was a losing move from the start. We likely won't survive long as an elite *public* school without football. Not as long as Pro sports and HS sports and college sports elsewhere are still there, and all the other public schools see the upside of continuing to train players, coaches, physicians, agents, publicists, lawyers, and owners for all levels of the athletics side of the entertainment industry.

Just because we thumb our nose at having any real influence in that entire thought and culture leading sector doesn't mean any of our competitors for public $$$ and goodwill will.
southseasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

PS it seems to me that Harvard and Princeton are doing just fine without football tv revenue.


Harvard has an endowment of $53 billion and an undergraduate student body size of 7,000. Berkeley has an endowment of $7 billion and an undergraduate student body size of 33,000.
Great point! I would add that I know many people who attended Ivy League schools. Some are people I've met at work; some are doctors; some are children of acquaintances. I always ask, "Did you attend football games?" Almost always, the answer is "No." If we wanted to play Ivy League football (no scholarships, no media revenue, etc.) we should not have initiated the CMS renovation.
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"We likely won't survive long as an elite *public* school without football."

There will not be top level professional "college football" at more than sixteen to twenty four institutions in another decade. There goes America's future.
UrsineMaximus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question for BI: the recent $$ drive that was matched by the Riveras and others was > 1M. Ott's current NIL, per on3 is $332K. Can the BI opinion authors opine why a "big donor" is required immediately to retain this 10 year talent? Or are penny donors kept out of the loop?
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsineMaximus said:

Question for BI: the recent $$ drive that was matched by the Riveras and others was > 1M. Ott's current NIL, per on3 is $332K. Can the BI opinion authors opine why a "big donor" is required immediately to retain this 10 year talent? Or are penny donors kept out of the loop?


Not sure if it helps today, but I bought some Cal Legends swag over the weekend.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.