aaron rodgers' future is in jeopardy

14,471 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

79 Bear
Nicely played Okaydo!
wifeisafurd
as well he should. He even kicked Mr. Wonderful's rear.
AunBear89
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-quarterback-aaron-rodgers-will-be-a-guest-host-on-jeopardy/
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Gobears49
Rodgers named today as a part time host on Jeopardy, which he once won on.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30700471/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-jeopardy-guest-host

okaydo
Rodgers will be hosting for 10 episodes, starting April 5.

okaydo
2 interviews with the Rodg-man, who begins his hosting stint on Monday.

He prepared like crazy.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31183282/what-film-room-aaron-rodgers-studied-no-other-crush-jeopardy-guest-host

And if offered the Jeopardy hosting job, he would take it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/04/02/jeopardy-aaron-rodgers-guest-hosts-suiting-up-alex-trebek/4849978001/

okaydo
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
bearsandgiants
Two other Harold Kuntz's on the Twitter before this DB got around to naming himself, eh?
AunBear89
Wow. It's actually his real name. Sports guy from Kansas City.

BUT, the most important question remains: Does he go by the Nick name Harry?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
okaydo
Can't believe that Jeopardy had a college dropout/community college alum succeed an esteemed medical doctor as Jeopardy! guest host.
bearsandgiants
Well, now my issue is with his parents! Lol

Probably spews that classic "it's pronounced koontz" line...

Ok. That's not fair. Maybe he's oblivious. My neighbor was Dick Johnson and the nicest man I ever met. Of course I laughed when he introduced himself and it took me a moment to realize he didn't see the humor. Anyway, great performance by AR tonight. Looking forward to more.
01Bear
How did you all miss the "Go Bears!" from Aaron Rodgers?
Bearly Clad
okaydo

okaydo

okaydo
Larno
Watching Rodgers at Cal could anyone in a million years imagine that 17 years later he would be hosting Jeopardy? And doing a great job. And having the first winner also being a Cal man. Life can be very strange.
okaydo
Larno said:

Watching Rodgers at Cal could anyone in a million years imagine that 17 years later he would be hosting Jeopardy? And doing a great job. And having the first winner also being a Cal man. Life can be very strange.

He's also had cameos on the most popular show in Netflix history and the most popular show in HBO history.
JSC 76
okaydo said:

Larno said:

He's also had cameos on the most popular show in Netflix history and the most popular show in HBO history.
Which were what, remind me?

So happy when he said "Go Bears!" !!!

What's the story about the "wished he kicked the field goal"? (I pay very little attention to the NFL)

On another general-interest forum, where there's a Jeopardy viewing thread, one of the participants is absolutely trashing AR for revealing that he'd never heard of a "sackbut". But that guy is a jerk, and an obvious sports-hater who can't stand the idea of a jock on his beloved game show. I think that AR's comment endeared him to the Everyman who watches the show but has never heard of a sackbut, either.
Bearly Clad
okaydo said:

Larno said:

I'm not sure if I'm being redundant here but he also had that cameo on The Office. That might be what you're talking about with the most popular show in Netflix history but Idk since I haven't seen their viewing numbers for individual shows -- I thought they didn't release those and even the showrunners don't get to see the numbers but that might just be for original content. Either way that was the most popular NBC show since Seinfeld at least

His bit on The Office is underrated IMO. For anyone who hasn't seen it Aaron is an American Idol judge with Santigold and Clay Aiken and he tells Ed Helms, "Look we've seen a lot of people today and you're just not that good" which is word for word what a college coach said to Rodgers in HS and Aaron famously never forgot that and carried the chip.

The idea that even then, when he's just having fun in a guest spot on The Office, that he's still so petty and passive aggressive just cracks me up. Probably the most lovably petty superstar of all time -- with the exception of that time he took it too far and said Butte CC instead of Cal on his NFL intro for like 10 ******* years (not gonna lie, that one hurt even though it wasn't really about us)
B.A. Bearacus
Is it possible that Aaron is, among Americans, now the most famous Cal person of all time?

Let's define fame this way: At a specific moment in time, all Americans see an image of the person in the context in which they are best known and can name him or her by their real or fictional name. By this measure, I think Aaron may still be behind George Takei/Sulu and Gregory Peck at their respective peaks.

I do, however, think that Aaron is #1 in the history of time in terms of Americans being able to make a connection between the person and Cal (though not necessarily the University of California at Berkeley).
bipolarbear
JSC 76 said:

okaydo said:

Larno said:

What's the story about the "wished he kicked the field goal"? (I pay very little attention to the NFL)

On another general-interest forum, where there's a Jeopardy viewing thread, one of the participants is absolutely trashing AR for revealing that he'd never heard of a "sackbut". But that guy is a jerk, and an obvious sports-hater who can't stand the idea of a jock on his beloved game show. I think that AR's comment endeared him to the Everyman who watches the show but has never heard of a sackbut, either.
"Sackbut"an early type of saxophone used used in Renaissance music.
Bearly Clad
Maybe, but I think the nature of modern fame has a lot to do with that. If you ask people to list famous people most everyone will rattle off a bunch of athletes, actors, and musicians. People are also much more likely to associate an athlete with the school they played because that's the first big stage introduction to audiences and unlike regular graduates athletes are on national TV wearing jerseys with the school name on the chest.

So if you ask someone if Beverley Cleary (RIP to a Legend) or Steve Wozniak are famous then they'll say yes but if you gave them a list of University of California grads and told them to pick the most famous they'll probably pick out names like Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, George Takei, Chris Pine, Adam Duritz and other big names in more visible professions before they get to Cal grads like Jack London or Earl Warren.

It's a little bit sad but it makes sense to me that people not from the area and who went to other schools would think of athletes first and associate them more closely with the school they played at than highly successful graduates in any other field. I mean if you asked me to name a famous person who went to (for example) Auburn I'm naming Bo Jackson and Charles Barkley before Tim Cook even though Cook has been much more impactful on most peoples' everyday lives. Now if only we could get Woz to write out blank checks California athletics the way Cook has for Auburn . . . but it's probably not the time or place for that talk
MSaviolives
bipolarbear said:

JSC 76 said:

okaydo said:

Larno said:

"Sackbut"an early type of saxophone used used in Renaissance music.
Oh sorry, the correct answer is "what is an early form of trombone used in Renaissance music..." (I only know this because I had to look it up myself)
okaydo
Bearly Clad said:

okaydo said:

Larno said:

I'm not sure if I'm being redundant here but he also had that cameo on The Office. That might be what you're talking about with the most popular show in Netflix history but Idk since I haven't seen their viewing numbers for individual shows -- I thought they didn't release those and even the showrunners don't get to see the numbers but that might just be for original content. Either way that was the most popular NBC show since Seinfeld at least

His bit on The Office is underrated IMO. For anyone who hasn't seen it Aaron is an American Idol judge with Santigold and Clay Aiken and he tells Ed Helms, "Look we've seen a lot of people today and you're just not that good" which is word for word what a college coach said to Rodgers in HS and Aaron famously never forgot that and carried the chip.

The idea that even then, when he's just having fun in a guest spot on The Office, that he's still so petty and passive aggressive just cracks me up. Probably the most lovably petty superstar of all time -- with the exception of that time he took it too far and said Butte CC instead of Cal on his NFL intro for like 10 ******* years (not gonna lie, that one hurt even though it wasn't really about us)

okaydo
https://instagr.am/p/CNTsoaMJeCj
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus said:

Is it possible that Aaron is, among Americans, now the most famous Cal person of all time?

Let's define fame this way: At a specific moment in time, all Americans see an image of the person in the context in which they are best known and can name him or her by their real or fictional name. By this measure, I think Aaron may still behind George Takei/Sulu and Gregory Peck at their respective peaks.

I do, however, think that Aaron is #1 in the history of time in terms of Americans being able to make a connection between the person and Cal (though not necessarily the University of California at Berkeley).

Yeah, but the U.S. population is so much bigger now than when Takei and Peck were at their peaks.

Heck, you could argue that Takei is more popular now than he has ever been thanks to social media.

(Rodgers has about a million more folllowers than Takei on Twitter and about 200,000 more on Instagram.)
Bearly Clad
The FG story is from the NFC championship game this year. There were 2 minutes left, Packers were down 8 and had a 4th & Goal at the 8 yard line, Lafleur decided to kick the 26 yard field goal to go down 5 instead of giving his HOF and MVP quarterback a shot at it. The Packers never got the ball back and the Bucs went on to win the game and the super bowl

okaydo: Thanks for setting me straight on the Netflix thing, I forgot that Netflix lost The Office but that's mostly 'cause I forgot that NBC streaming (Peacock Plus or whatever they call it) even existed
oskidunker
Ken Jennings has been my favorite host so far.
Go Bears!
okaydo
oskidunker said:

Ken Jennings has been my favorite host so far.

Favoring a BYU over a Cal alum? I'm sorry, I'm revoking your Cal fan card.
oskidunker
He just seems more natural and the most like Alex.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
The reviews are in
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.