aaron rodgers' future is in jeopardy

14,507 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by okaydo
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AR may not be the permanent Jeopardy host, but his two weeks were impressive enough to pretty much guarantee that after he retires from the NFL he can get a fat salary as a sports broadcaster on ESPN or a broadcast network if he wants it.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
HoopDreams
BearSD
Stanford Jonah said:

oskidunker said:

I thought Katie Couric was my least favorite
She was horrible. We didn't even watch Dr. Oz.
Oz was the worst, by far.

AR was the best so far and Anderson Cooper (starting on Monday) might be just as good. Fortunately for the permanent host wannabes, neither of those two would give up his full-time job right now.
okaydo
BearSD said:

AR may not be the permanent Jeopardy host, but his two weeks were impressive enough to pretty much guarantee that after he retires from the NFL he can get a fat salary as a sports broadcaster on ESPN or a broadcast network if he wants it.

Rodgers would've gotten a fat salary in broadcasting if he never stepped foot on the Jeopardy set.

1. He had the Aaron Rodgers Show, where he was pretty entertaining and inciteful.
2. He did the NBC Sports pregame show to the 2012 Super Bowl (I believe) and he killed it.
3. Drew Brees got a fat salary to join NBC Sports. We have no idea if he's good or not, but there's already talk about him replacing Cris Collinsworth in the Monday Night Football booth.
4. Again, Rodgers will be in demand, but he's indicated that he doesn't want to do sports broadcasting.
5. He's probably interested in doing something in Hollywood, in some capacity. He's dated 2 high-profile Hollywood actresses and he's appeared on the No. 1 show in Netflix history and the No. 1 show in HBO history.
okaydo
Stanford Jonah said:

01Bear said:

oskidunker said:

He just seems more natural and the most like Alex.

Disagree 100%! He sounded stilted and uncomfortable. The most natural host so far has been Jeopardy's executive producer Mike Richards.
He's OK. The problem is that Jeopardy requires a certain kind of announcer who exudes a professorial aura and has good broadcasting chops. Tony Romo does a good job doing play by play on NFL games, but you wouldn't want Tony Romo doing Jeopardy.

Not really sure what the LeVar Burton thing is about, but give him a tryout if people think he should do it.

I'm equally annoyed by the LeVar thing and that the producers haven't cast him (and they probably never will).

I'm annoyed by it because even though the LeVar movement began last November, it really began picking up steam as soon as Rodgers started guest-hosting. During Rodgers' stint, LeVar went all in in campaigning for the job, and submitted to several interviews. A lot of non-sports people seemed offended that a jock could host Jeopardy! and not LeVar.

Again, I want LeVar to guest-host. I think the producers look bad not even giving him a shot. But I wonder if openly campaigning hurt his chances.

I like the Rodgers pick because well, I'm biased, but I think it's out of the box. But some of these picks are never going to get the job, so why try them?

The Dr. Oz pick was baffling and terrible, but it made sense because The Dr. Oz Show and Jeopardy are both properties of Sony Pictures Television.

The Joe Buck pick is more baffling. I am the rare person who likes Buck as a sports broadcaster, but I agree with everybody that it's a bad look.

Now, who is going to replace Johnny Gilbert, who turns 93 in July?

01Bear
JSC 76 said:

By the way ... I knew the answer, but none of the contestants did. It may be because for a native Californian, the history of the Central Pacific Railroad and the Big Four is more widely known. I don't think any of the 3 were Californians. (And Brigham Young was a good guess.)

It may help that we also refer to that Junior University's mascot as the Robber Barons.
BearSD
okaydo said:

Again, I want LeVar to guest-host. I think the producers look bad not even giving him a shot. But I wonder if openly campaigning hurt his chances.
IMO the issue is that LeVar is *trying hard* to make the Jeopardy producers look bad. It's one thing to let it be known that you want a chance at a job, even looking too eager isn't all that bad. But I don't know of any business where trying to make the decisionmakers look bad in public will be the way to get a job. Then again, I have never been in the entertainment business.

It wouldn't surprise me if they use guest hosts for the rest of 2021 and quietly use focus groups and surveys to evaluate the guest hosts and any other potential permanent hosts. In addition to getting "game film" on a whole bunch of candidates, the additional time will mean that the permanent host might get a fairer shot and not be compared to Trebek as constantly as he or she might have been if a permanent host had been named early this year.

bluehenbear
okaydo said:

inciteful
Maybe you're thinking of Tom Brady.
okaydo

okaydo
The final Jeopardy guest-hosts have been announced:

AunBear89
I see what you did there...
01Bear
okaydo said:

The final Jeopardy guest-hosts have been announced:

Dude, you need to stop editing images and not noting such edits if you want people to take you seriously.

Here's the Jeopardy link to its list of guest hosts:
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule?fbclid=IwAR2m-jEqOVxSOcEY6aMlDDQudvnxsX__uSa0uwgwHUTle_rUU6xGCBFtWSs
B.A. Bearacus
01Bear said:

Dude, you need to stop editing images and not noting such edits if you want people to take you seriously.
It does beg the question: did you think Jared was going to be Jeopardy guest host for more than eight seconds? I think most on here would say no, but I understand that we all have various shades of blue and gold-tinted glasses (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Looking at it objectively, it would make as much sense to have Mike Pawlawski host Jeopardy as it would Jared.
B.A. Bearacus
Post removed:
by user
oskidunker
Steve Leavy. Single handily saved our season by just playing calm within himself.
Go Bears!
B.A. Bearacus
Stanford Jonah said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

No Ziv Gottlieb?
I've been saying this for a while: Ziv Gottlieb is the new LaVar Burton.
okaydo

bearister
okaydo said:

....and thanks to CTE, TB is knocking on the door of flooring his F-450 into the Grand Canyon.

*I saw Terry play the Raiders in Oakland a couple of times. He was a stud football player.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
Today Terry Bradshaw just passed John Elway and Tom Brady as the most hated current or past quarterback among living Cal fans.* I've liked this guy forever on the Fox set, but he's now dead to me.

*unofficial statistic

Yesterday's clip:

Today:
calumnus
B.A. Bearacus said:

Today Terry Bradshaw just passed John Elway and Tom Brady as the most hated current or past quarterback among living Cal fans.* I've liked this guy forever on the Fox set, but he's now dead to me.

*unofficial statistic

Add Ron Jaworski to the list.

Brady is an "almost was a Bear" from the Bay Area so I think he is less hated among Cal fans than he is elsewhere.
okaydo
B.A. Bearacus
Personally, the only NFL player from Stanford that I have ever liked.

okaydo
https://www.foco.com/products/aaron-rodgers-guest-host-bobblehead

okaydo
okaydo
BearSD
B.A. Bearacus said:

*unofficial statistic
Troy Aikman is a strong contender in that category.
B.A. Bearacus
calumnus
B.A. Bearacus said:

Personally, the only NFL player from Stanford that I have ever liked.

He was a memorable punk/cheap shot artist in at least one Big Game but then I got to like him as Marshawn's teammate in Seattle.

Plunkett is my favorite Stanford football player.
okaydo

okaydo
hahaha

B.A. Bearacus
Rapoport: Packers make "significant long-term" to Rodgers.

Quote:

Rodgers has been involved in the contract talks, per Rapoport. But he hasn't been willing to sign a deal, even though some of what has reportedly been offered to him has been historic.

According to The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Rodgers turned down offers that would have made him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. His lack of interest is because his frustrations "have little or nothing to do with money."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943017-aaron-rodgers-rumors-packers-have-made-significant-long-term-contract-offer
BearSD
B.A. Bearacus said:

Quote:

According to The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Rodgers turned down offers that would have made him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. His lack of interest is because his frustrations "have little or nothing to do with money."

If this is correct, if AR's frustration is due to the Packers' failure to load up the team for a title run like Tampa did for Brady, then AR sure doesn't want to be sent to the Donkeys or any other team with a weaker roster and worse coaching than the Packers have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.