USC scandals have no shock value anymore

12,758 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by oski003
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bipolarbear said:

The SC Song girls are performing in the land of starlets, whom they resemble. The outfits and routines are provacative. They shake more than their pom poms, but so do lots of cheerleaders and 'dance teams' now. They know this when they try out and sign up. Even the less shellacked Stanfurd 'dancers' are called "Dollies" which implies they are playthings (of the team?) yet I bet there is great competition to become a Dolly. Is it all about entertainment on game day? Seem out of date in today's world.

You made my point. We can avoid all the verbose lectures and cut to the chase: They knew, or should have known (like most of mankind does), what they were signing up for. It doesn't mean some of them didn't suffer emotional distress. It doesn't mean the lady running the program isn't a psycho b@itch. What it means is that if it ever gets to an LA jury they will be shaking their heads, not using calculators figuring out the damages they are going to award.....however, it would be great if they hit a home run, got millions, and brought the house of cards down on the whole system and relegated pelvic thrusts and stripper costumes to the dustbin of history where they belong.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
01Bear
bearister said:

bipolarbear said:

The SC Song girls are performing in the land of starlets, whom they resemble. The outfits and routines are provacative. They shake more than their pom poms, but so do lots of cheerleaders and 'dance teams' now. They know this when they try out and sign up. Even the less shellacked Stanfurd 'dancers' are called "Dollies" which implies they are playthings (of the team?) yet I bet there is great competition to become a Dolly. Is it all about entertainment on game day? Seem out of date in today's world.

You made my point. We can avoid all the verbose lectures and cut to the chase: They knew, or should have known (like most of mankind does), what they were signing up for. It doesn't mean some of them didn't suffer emotional distress. It doesn't mean the lady running the program isn't a psycho b@itch. What it means is that if it ever gets to an LA jury they will be shaking their heads, not using calculators figuring out the damages they are going to award.

Again, you're conflating separate issues. The ogling by spectators is distinct and separate from the abuse heaped on the song girls by the coordinator. A jury will not have to consider the former to reach a determination about damages for the latter as they are entirely separate.

As for an implication any cheerleaders are playthings for "the team" all I can say is "Holy crap! Talk about enabling rape culture!" @bipolarbear, Let's get this straight once and for all, no woman is a sex object meant to satisfy men. Yes, I know that's hard for those of you who grew up thinking that getting a girl drunk meant you could "have your way with her." But let's be clear, that is nothing short of rape.

Similarly, just because you feel entitled to ogle young women who are participating in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity doesn't mean that their purpose. Times have changed; society is coming to recognize that women are fully human, too. They deserve not to be treated as objects, especially sex objects.

Yeah, I know some of you will dismiss this as so much "PC police BS." But you know what PC really means? It means treating someone else with the dignity and respect due that person on account of his/her humanity. That's it. When the reactionaries complain about PC culture, what they're really complaining about is not being able to discriminate against others, not being able to be racist, not being able to be sexist, etc. with impunity. Basically, they're upset that these "lesser thans" are being treated as their equals and it galls them.

You have a choice to make. You can be an angry old man clinging to your sexism and male chauvinism or you can come to respect women. For the sakes of your daughters, granddaughters, etc., I hope you choose the latter. Keep in mind, they're the ones who will pay the price for your continued enabling of misogyny and rape culture.
01Bear
Also, for the record, I've met quite a number of cheerleaders. Not a single one of them signed up to be treated as a sex object. They joined their school dance teams/cheer squads those of professional sports teams to dance and cheer.
Blueblood
I wish I'd gone to usc!
"Is this all we do? I thought
we had to do a routine or
something during halftime?"
Big C
01Bear said:

Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

Yeah - I try to be an enlightened male. I gotta a daughter that is the apple in my eye and I want her to seize the world by its throat and subdue it all while looking marvelous in high heels.

But I DON"T get this. You make a choice. You are there TO be oggled. This isn't rocket science and it isn't like you can't look at the sweaters, the make up, the skirts, etc. etc. etc. and not realize that being a song girl IS about being objectified.

And then, when you ARE objectified and abused for not fitting in the tight barbie ideal you complain.

Look, this isn't workplace harrasment. No one's life is or isn't going to be determined by their skills with a pom pom. I also get that I am a guy so I dont' face this and it is really hard to walk in someone elses shoes and I am willing to listen but, again, I just don't sympathize.

Agree. The young ladies being cheer leaders / pom pom girls / song girls, whatever are SUPPOSED TO BE good looking, right?

(also have a daughter)

No. They're supposed to be good dancers and have school spirit. They're no different than TheFiatLux except that they also dance. If you don't think Ken needed to be hot and sexy in order to be a Mic Man then why do you think any cheerleader needs to be hot and sexy?

Because that is my reality. I know that could be interpreted as being a ridiculous answer, but it's all I got. I grew up in the late '60s-'70s and that's my world. I don't care what the Mic Man looks like (although somebody else is welcome to).

For the record, I never said "hot and sexy"; I said "attractive" and "good looking". I like the Cal or U$C or UCLA look, not some of those NFL "Vegas showgirl" looks. Something I could be okay with my daughter doing.

I stand corrected, but the underlying question remains; why do the cheerleaders need to be "atteactive" and "good looking" if you don't demand Mic Men like Ken also to be attractive and good looking*? Just because that's what you were used to fifty or sixty years ago? I'm sure you understand how poorly reasoned is that response. Sixty years ago, interracial marriage was still outlawed in many parts of the country. Fifty years ago, it was still "frowned upon." By your logic, that's how things should still be because that's what you were used to back then. Yet, I'm all but certain you would not be in favor of returning to that set of cultural mores and norms. So why do you want to implement other demeaning and damaging social mores from that era?

At the very least, think of what kind of an example that sets for your daughter. Do you really want her to grow up in a world where women are little more than sex objects for men? A world where it is assumed that women's motivation for doing anything is to attract male attention? That no matter how a girl or woman dresses, men will think they're entitled to her body? I'm sure you wouldn't want random men in an online forum suggesting your daughter has to be good looking in order to be allowed to participate in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity. Why then, would you be okay with random men making those comments about other people's daughters?

*Not that this is intended to be an insult about his looks; I'm sure he's much better looking than I.

I totally get what you're saying and it is maybe a more enlightened position than mine. Maybe.

I don't "need" female cheer leaders to be attractive; I just prefer them to be. I'm totally fine with also having good looking mic men and/or male yell leaders that are appreciated by people who like seeing good looking guys. It's just that I don't personally care, so I'm not going to "demand" it. Thus, I don't think it's a double standard.

Yes, my initial response was rather poorly reasoned. Still, I'm not sure comparing this to interracial marriage is the least bit valid, except to show the flaw in my initial reasoning.

I'm thinking about this now (thanks for that)... is it bad to have a group of cheer leaders (male or female) at a sporting event in which one of the requirements is that they're good looking? Okay, while I get the superficiality of it, I'm going to answer "no" to that question.

As far as the world my daughter grows up in, geez, I don't know: No, of course, I don't "want her to grow up in a world where women are little more than sex objects for men", or that "men will think they're entitled to her body". Of course not. On the other hand, I think it's okay to acknowledge that people like to look at good looking people of whatever gender that they are attracted to.

As far as attractiveness being one of the requirements for an extra-curricular activity, yes for cheer leaders, no for most other activities. And relevant to this point are the surrounding circumstances, such as their age, how they are dressed and how they dance.

Men are going to think about and comment (to each other) about women's looks. Certainly people that are attracted to men do the same, right? If my daughter were to end up being a cheer leader, I guess my rules for the men would be... a) keep your comments in the appropriate forum... and... b) Look, but don't touch, m*****f*****!

Thanks for helping me think this through.
bipolarbear
01Bear said:

bearister said:

bipolarbear said:

You made my point. We can avoid all the verbose lectures and cut to the chase: They knew, or should have known (like most of mankind does), what they were signing up for. It doesn't mean some of them didn't suffer emotional distress. It doesn't mean the lady running the program isn't a psycho b@itch. What it means is that if it ever gets to an LA jury they will be shaking their heads, not using calculators figuring out the damages they are going to award.

Again, you're conflating separate issues. The ogling by spectators is distinct and separate from the abuse heaped on the song girls by the coordinator. A jury will not have to consider the former to reach a determination about damages for the latter as they are entirely separate.

As for an implication any cheerleaders are playthings for "the team" all I can say is "Holy crap! Talk about enabling rape culture!" @bipolarbear, Let's get this straight once and for all, no woman is a sex object meant to satisfy men. Yes, I know that's hard for those of you who grew up thinking that getting a girl drunk meant you could "have your way with her." But let's be clear, that is nothing short of rape.

Similarly, just because you feel entitled to ogle young women who are participating in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity doesn't mean that their purpose. Times have changed; society is coming to recognize that women are fully human, too. They deserve not to be treated as objects, especially sex objects.

Yeah, I know some of you will dismiss this as so much "PC police BS." But you know what PC really means? It means treating someone else with the dignity and respect due that person on account of his/her humanity. That's it. When the reactionaries complain about PC culture, what they're really complaining about is not being able to discriminate against others, not being able to be racist, not being able to be sexist, etc. with impunity. Basically, they're upset that these "lesser thans" are being treated as their equals and it galls them.

You have a choice to make. You can be an angry old man clinging to your sexism and male chauvinism or you can come to respect women. For the sakes of your daughters, granddaughters, etc., I hope you choose the latter. Keep in mind, they're the ones who will pay the price for your continued enabling of misogyny and rape culture.
Maybe they ought to get rid of the anachronistic name "Dollies" and all it implies.
01Bear
Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

socaltownie said:

Yeah - I try to be an enlightened male. I gotta a daughter that is the apple in my eye and I want her to seize the world by its throat and subdue it all while looking marvelous in high heels.

But I DON"T get this. You make a choice. You are there TO be oggled. This isn't rocket science and it isn't like you can't look at the sweaters, the make up, the skirts, etc. etc. etc. and not realize that being a song girl IS about being objectified.

And then, when you ARE objectified and abused for not fitting in the tight barbie ideal you complain.

Look, this isn't workplace harrasment. No one's life is or isn't going to be determined by their skills with a pom pom. I also get that I am a guy so I dont' face this and it is really hard to walk in someone elses shoes and I am willing to listen but, again, I just don't sympathize.

Agree. The young ladies being cheer leaders / pom pom girls / song girls, whatever are SUPPOSED TO BE good looking, right?

(also have a daughter)

No. They're supposed to be good dancers and have school spirit. They're no different than TheFiatLux except that they also dance. If you don't think Ken needed to be hot and sexy in order to be a Mic Man then why do you think any cheerleader needs to be hot and sexy?

Because that is my reality. I know that could be interpreted as being a ridiculous answer, but it's all I got. I grew up in the late '60s-'70s and that's my world. I don't care what the Mic Man looks like (although somebody else is welcome to).

For the record, I never said "hot and sexy"; I said "attractive" and "good looking". I like the Cal or U$C or UCLA look, not some of those NFL "Vegas showgirl" looks. Something I could be okay with my daughter doing.

I stand corrected, but the underlying question remains; why do the cheerleaders need to be "atteactive" and "good looking" if you don't demand Mic Men like Ken also to be attractive and good looking*? Just because that's what you were used to fifty or sixty years ago? I'm sure you understand how poorly reasoned is that response. Sixty years ago, interracial marriage was still outlawed in many parts of the country. Fifty years ago, it was still "frowned upon." By your logic, that's how things should still be because that's what you were used to back then. Yet, I'm all but certain you would not be in favor of returning to that set of cultural mores and norms. So why do you want to implement other demeaning and damaging social mores from that era?

At the very least, think of what kind of an example that sets for your daughter. Do you really want her to grow up in a world where women are little more than sex objects for men? A world where it is assumed that women's motivation for doing anything is to attract male attention? That no matter how a girl or woman dresses, men will think they're entitled to her body? I'm sure you wouldn't want random men in an online forum suggesting your daughter has to be good looking in order to be allowed to participate in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity. Why then, would you be okay with random men making those comments about other people's daughters?

*Not that this is intended to be an insult about his looks; I'm sure he's much better looking than I.

I totally get what you're saying and it is maybe a more enlightened position than mine. Maybe.

I don't "need" female cheer leaders to be attractive; I just prefer them to be. I'm totally fine with also having good looking mic men and/or male yell leaders that are appreciated by people who like seeing good looking guys. It's just that I don't personally care, so I'm not going to "demand" it. Thus, I don't think it's a double standard.

Yes, my initial response was rather poorly reasoned. Still, I'm not sure comparing this to interracial marriage is the least bit valid, except to show the flaw in my initial reasoning.

I'm thinking about this now (thanks for that)... is it bad to have a group of cheer leaders (male or female) at a sporting event in which one of the requirements is that they're good looking? Okay, while I get the superficiality of it, I'm going to answer "no" to that question.

As far as the world my daughter grows up in, geez, I don't know: No, of course, I don't "want her to grow up in a world where women are little more than sex objects for men", or that "men will think they're entitled to her body". Of course not. On the other hand, I think it's okay to acknowledge that people like to look at good looking people of whatever gender that they are attracted to.

As far as attractiveness being one of the requirements for an extra-curricular activity, yes for cheer leaders, no for most other activities. And relevant to this point are the surrounding circumstances, such as their age, how they are dressed and how they dance.

Men are going to think about and comment (to each other) about women's looks. Certainly people that are attracted to men do the same, right? If my daughter were to end up being a cheer leader, I guess my rules for the men would be... a) keep your comments in the appropriate forum... and... b) Look, but don't touch, m*****f*****!

Thanks for helping me think this through.

From the entertainment perspective, I can understand the preference for good-looking cheerleaders and Mic Men. But that leads to another problem, who defines what the standards are for "good looking?" Before you answer that, think about how your beauty standards may vary from those of someone of a different culture. Do we say "just apply American beauty standards, then?" If so, from which Americans do we pick those standards? After all, America is a mix of people from cultures originating from places across the world.

I have repeatedly read posts from various forum members about how the women at Cal are unattractive compared to their counterparts at USC. Yet, when I was a student at Cal, there were pretty women all over the campus. It just so happened that they weren't all white, blonde, and blue eyed. In other words, they didn't meet Eurocentric beauty standards. Yet, they were still beautiful (not to mention smart and interesting). It's always struck me that those complaining about how Cal's coeds are unattractive may just be saying these women are unattractive because they don't fit the Eurocentric beauty standards, which is not too far off from saying they're unattractive because they're not white.

Although I limited my discussion of beauty standards to women, the same arguments also apply to men. The beauty standards for men also differ by culture (not to mention between different people within the same culture). To choose men cheerleaders based on their level of attractiveness would also require preferring one set of beauty standards over others. Inevitably, the cultural biases of the decision-maker would impact the decision. (When it comes to school-soonsored extracurricular activities, I'm not sure it would be advisable to allow cultural bias to play such a significant a role in selecting participants, especially at an institution that accepts federal funds.)

This isn't to say that we can't appreciate beauty in people. To the contrary, it means we should recognize and celebrate the multitude of ways in which beauty is reflected around the world and in the US. Because our nation is made up of so many different cultures, we are not beholden to one idea of beauty. Rather, we can appreciate the infinite variety of beauty to be found in people.

Also, I wanted to thank you for taking this discussion seriously and not being defensive. My intention here was to get some of the posters to think more deeply about just what it is they're saying and doing when they make casually sexist remarks objectifying women. I don't pretend I've never done the same thing, but I am working on being a better person and not repeating those same mistakes.
bearister
01Bear
bipolarbear said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

bipolarbear said:

Maybe they ought to get rid of the anachronistic name "Dollies" and all it implies.

Or how about you stop thinking of them in such derogatory terms. Victim blaming is passe. It went out with the 20th century.
01Bear
bearister said:

I'm not sure how that's germane to anything in this thread other than to show that American beauty standards of the last century were unquestionably racist.
bearister
01Bear said:

bearister said:

I'm not sure how that's germane to anything in this thread other than to show that American beauty standards of the last century were unquestionably racist.

I just wanted to post images from other culturally archaic rituals that demean women and children so that I can read your rationalization that the problem is exclusively with the viewers of these activities, not the activity itself or those that participate in them....which is perfectly in line with the prevailing wisdom today that everyone is a victim and no one has even a fractional share of accountability for a negative outcome. When I was growing up there were adages like, "If you play with fire, you are going to get burned," and "If you lay down with dogs, you are going to get up with fleas." The response today would be, "But I have every right to play with fire and lay down with dogs, so who the Hell is going to pay to treat these burns and get these fleas off me!"

Finally, you are not the sole arbiter regarding what the issues are in this thread and whether one issue relates to another and thus is relevant to the discussion.

*....and in the Deep South, all these activities are King...which absolutely f@ucking figures. Are you a Southerner?
sp4149
The Europeans are so far ahead of us on this issue.

In the future I may concentrate on posting links with older blonde Schlager singers who can be appreciated for their voices.

But for now, enjoy this video of a Schlager dance group, Note the middle dancer is slightly overweight and has to take breaks during the routine (a problem implied in the USC article). instead of being banned, she is there dancing in the middle of the stage, for all to see.

Fast forward to the one minute mark to skip the intro...
01Bear
bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

I just wanted to post images from other culturally archaic rituals that demean women and children so that I can read your rationalization that the problem is exclusively with the viewers of these activities, not the activity itself or those that participate in them....which is perfectly in line with the prevailing wisdom today that everyone is a victim and no one has even a fractional share of accountability for a negative outcome. When I was growing up there were adages like, "If you play with fire, you are going to get burned," and "If you lay down with dogs, you are going to get up with fleas." The response today would be, "But I have every right to play with fire and lay down with dogs, so who the Hell is going to pay to treat these burns and get these fleas off me!"

Finally, you are not the sole arbiter regarding what the issues are in this thread and whether one issue relates to another and thus is relevant to the discussion.

*....and in the Deep South, all these activities are King...which absolutely f@ucking figures. Are you a Southerner?

I neither need to defend nor rationalize beauty pageants; that's your strawman, you deal with it. That said, I will offer this point of consideration, when women have been told for millenia that their only value is in their beauty, is it any wonder that some of them will take that message to heart?

Your argument about whether I am the sole arbiter is both insulting as it is poorly considered. At no point did I ever pretend I was. I did, however, point out that you were substituting your own false claims of what the USC song girls' actual complaints. They complained about the abuse heaped on them by their advisor. Their complaints had nothing to do with being objectified by spectators. You were the one to bring up the latter and then conflate it with their actual complaints.

As for your footnote(?), that's a total non sequitor. What does being a Southerner (or not being one) have to do with anything?
01Bear
bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Also, on the point of accountability and the "victim culture," isn't it interesting that the ones demanding the former and denouncing the latter (which, incidentally, they created and labeled) are also the ones shirking accountability for their own actions of demeaning, dehumanizing, and marginalizing the people who are complaining of such abuses? It's almost as if accountability is for the powerless abused but not the powerful abusers. [begin sarcasm]I mean, men are now being blamed for their history of sexual assaults and violence against women, but really, it's the women who are seeking to avoid accountability for being such willing recipients of those assaults and violence! If they didn't want to be abused and violated, they should've avoided it! That they didn't do so is clear evidence that they wanted it! To complain now is just them grasping at the brass ring of victimhood! [end sarcasm]

It's telling that the people who came up with the false claims of the "culture of victimhood" are also the not the ones who have been subjected to the abuses. Rather, it's the ones who participated in the abuse or otherwise enabled or benefited from it. As such, they created a narrative that people seeking to hold the abusers accountable are merely claiming victimhood. This serves two purposes: first, it dismisses the complainers, and thereby their complaints, as illegitimate; second it pretends that there was no wrongdoing and nothing needs to be changed, which means the abusers are not held accountable and the status quo remains unchanged.

Rather than be taken in by such false claims about "victimhood" or "the culture of victimhood," it might behoove you to consider the claims individually and on their own merits. That is, assuming you still value independent thought and critical thinking. If you don't, feel free to ignore my suggestion.
bearister
You are talking about sexual assault and violence and I'm talking about cheerleaders at USC that have suddenly realized the demeaning and objectifying nature of the cheerleading culture. End the program like the Jesuits ended basketball at USF after the Quintin Dailey incident or repackage it minus the stripper vibe.

As a couple of people here have said, the lady running the program is a bad person, but the plaintiffs aren't sympathetic to the average person.

You appear to want to argue with someone making excuses for Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby....but I'm not that guy and this isn't that thread. The fact that you felt the need to pivot to violence and sexual assault is a tacit admission that your arguments are overkill when applied to the case of body shamed USC cheerleaders.
WalterSobchak
01Bear said:

bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

I neither need to defend nor rationalize beauty pageants; that's your strawman, you deal with it. That said, I will offer this point of consideration, when women have been told for millenia that their only value is in their beauty, is it any wonder that some of them will take that message to heart?

Your argument about whether I am the sole arbiter is both insulting as it is poorly considered. At no point did I ever pretend I was. I did, however, point out that you were substituting your own false claims of what the USC song girls' actual complaints. They complained about the abuse heaped on them by their advisor. Their complaints had nothing to do with being objectified by spectators. You were the one to bring up the latter and then conflate it with their actual complaints.

As for your footnote(?), that's a total non sequitor. What does being a Southerner (or not being one) have to do with anything?
Haha, ****ing hilarious. Paging r/selfawarewolves.
01Bear
bearister said:

You are talking about sexual assault and violence and I'm talking about cheerleaders at USC that have suddenly realized the demeaning and objectifying nature of the cheerleading culture. End the program like the Jesuits ended basketball at USF after the Quintin Dailey incident or repackage it minus the stripper vibe.

As a couple of people here have said, the lady running the program is a bad person, but the plaintiffs aren't sympathetic to the average person.

You appear to want to argue with someone making excuses for Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby....but I'm not that guy and this isn't that thread. The fact that you felt the need to pivot to violence and sexual assault is a tacit admission that your arguments are overkill when applied to the case of body shamed USC cheerleaders.

Actually, no. I was trying to keep you focused on the actual complaints made by the USC Song Girls. You kept trying to move the conversation to how much you believe they're only good for ogling. You are the one making the comments that they're sexually suggestive. You are the one implying that they're asking for whatever male attention they get. In your mind, that all somehow justifies the bad behavior of their advisor because, after all, their only value is in their sexuality and that's why they're on the squad. Never mind that this is just your personal perversion.

You may not have sexually assaulted these particular young ladies, but your comments support and enable the same rape culture that has led to generations of girls and women being sexually assaulted. But that's no skin off your nose. [begin sarcasm] Besides, they must've asked for it, right? What with their sexually suggestive dances and skimpy clothing? All the crying after the fact is just so much grasping the brass ring of victimhood, right? [end sarcasm]

Yeah, I'm intentionally throwing your comments back at you. I hope you see just how damaging and demeaning they were. I hope you realize that the only significant difference between you and the Harvey Weinstein types is that you didn't act on your impulses and sexually assault and abuse young women and girls (or at least I hope you didn't). The rationalization of marginalizing women into just sex objects for men's sexual gratification, though, is the same.

For the record, I'd be willing to bet the USC Song Girls would make very sympathetic plaintiffs in today's world. You see, aside from those few stuck in the stone age, most (Southern) Californians understand that cheerleading is not inherently demeaning and objectifying. They understand that the girls and women who participate in it aren't seeking to be ogled and objectified; rather, they do it because they enjoy dancing, being part of a team, and cheering. I get you're having a difficult time grasping that concept since in your mind cheerleaders are just there to be sex objects for men's gratification, but the rest of normal society doesn't think that way. We see cheerleading as just another extracurricular activity, very little different from volleyball, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, etc.
01Bear
WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Ahh, the legal know-it-all troll lives. And apparently, he is not just a legal expert but also a psychology expert! Are there no limits to your great wisdom? Your omniscience is astounding!
socaltownie
01Bear said:

bearister said:

bipolarbear said:

That is such a false dichotomy you are setting up. NO ONE is embracing rape culture and by conflating and expanding the conversation you do a disservice to dialogue and debate.

As others have pointed out, for "dancing and cheering" there is NO REASON the song girls need to be in sweaters 3 sizes too small with an exposed midriff. Indeed, it isn't clear at all that would facilitate dancing and cheering since wardrobe failures would be more likely than, for example, polo shirts and a sports bra. One might also suggest that the "dancing" being done by many of the dance teams isn't at all high value chorography or technical difficult but is extremely sexualized. The "cheering" that is often done is not coordinated but rather waving pom poms as if this is needed while the game is served up on a big screen and football itself is a game of intense action punctuated by a committee meeting.

Just for your frame of reference here is a "non sexualized" cheering squad I see a lot of.
https://www.mlb.com/padres/fans/pad-squad/galleries

So once (as reasonable people will agree) that the USC "song team" is overly sexualized and has been for decades we can then move onto agency and consent.

That subject, I would agree, is a challenging one. Women (and men but in our culture mostly women) have, I think, a right to do what they will without being oggled and objectified. But the lines become challenging when the very activity they are engaged in is largely about being oggled and objectified. There is really no great analogy here that helps except to ask whether the woman has a reasonable choice to refrain from the activity (going to work? No so much. Being a USC song girl? Probably) and thus if she does that she knows what she is signing up for.

And that, I think, brings us to the psycho coach. And while clearly over the top I wonder if by that much. The expectation is that these song girls WILL be barbies. So she is demanding that they be, come hell or high water or eating disorder. Again, note "reasonable choice to refrain."

Now I will readily admit that there is plenty of grey area. You can clearly find examples where women are objectified and worse. Society sucks. But I am also a BIG one for personal resonsibility. Yes. I have a right to walk through West Oakland with a flashing stack of Benjamins at 2 a.m. However, should I get robbed and mugged or worse I bear some reasonability for being either naive or tempting fate.

WalterSobchak
01Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Ahh, the legal know-it-all troll lives. And apparently, he is not just a legal expert but also a psychology expert! Are there no limits to your great wisdom? Your omniscience is astounding!
Nah just an amateur psychologist trying to understand how someone can be so insecure, hyperbolic, and completely devoid of introspection.
Please keep posting, you are a fascinating subject in these areas.
And by all means keep getting triggered by my comments, they are useful aids in my informal research.
I'm hoping your responses can continue their current trend of becoming simultaneously more hyperbolic and less coherent.
Please don't let me down! I want to see how far from any tether to reality you can take this.
I've got confidence in you that we've only scratched the surface so far.
bearister
I've decided you are not a Southerner, all of whom worship the cheerleader culture. You must be a former cheerleader, or parent of one.

Your One Note Johnny repetitive argument is indicative of zero ability to review, process and formulate a response to a counter argument.
01Bear
socaltownie said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

bipolarbear said:

That is such a false dichotomy you are setting up. NO ONE is embracing rape culture and by conflating and expanding the conversation you do a disservice to dialogue and debate.

As others have pointed out, for "dancing and cheering" there is NO REASON the song girls need to be in sweaters 3 sizes too small with an exposed midriff. Indeed, it isn't clear at all that would facilitate dancing and cheering since wardrobe failures would be more likely than, for example, polo shirts and a sports bra. One might also suggest that the "dancing" being done by many of the dance teams isn't at all high value chorography or technical difficult but is extremely sexualized. The "cheering" that is often done is not coordinated but rather waving pom poms as if this is needed while the game is served up on a big screen and football itself is a game of intense action punctuated by a committee meeting.

Just for your frame of reference here is a "non sexualized" cheering squad I see a lot of.
https://www.mlb.com/padres/fans/pad-squad/galleries

So once (as reasonable people will agree) that the USC "song team" is overly sexualized and has been for decades we can then move onto agency and consent.

That subject, I would agree, is a challenging one. Women (and men but in our culture mostly women) have, I think, a right to do what they will without being oggled and objectified. But the lines become challenging when the very activity they are engaged in is largely about being oggled and objectified. There is really no great analogy here that helps except to ask whether the woman has a reasonable choice to refrain from the activity (going to work? No so much. Being a USC song girl? Probably) and thus if she does that she knows what she is signing up for.

And that, I think, brings us to the psycho coach. And while clearly over the top I wonder if by that much. The expectation is that these song girls WILL be barbies. So she is demanding that they be, come hell or high water or eating disorder. Again, note "reasonable choice to refrain."

Now I will readily admit that there is plenty of grey area. You can clearly find examples where women are objectified and worse. Society sucks. But I am also a BIG one for personal resonsibility. Yes. I have a right to walk through West Oakland with a flashing stack of Benjamins at 2 a.m. However, should I get robbed and mugged or worse I bear some reasonability for being either naive or tempting fate.

Rape culture enables rape by downplaying the responsibility of men not to objectify women and in fact encourages they do it. The pictures of women (in tight sweaters) posted here by some of the forum members in that very pursuit is evidence of their objectification of women and support of rape culture.

As for what the USC Song Girls (or any women/girls) choose to wear, that's really not a suggestion they want to be ogled and objectified sexually. I'm not sure why i have to keep saying this but women's decisions don't all revolve around men. Here's the thing, often, a woman will dress sexily or beautifully for herself. It has nothing to do with wanting male attention and everything to do with her own sense of self. That some men may take this to mean "she's asking for it" whether the "it" is sexual assault, sexual objectification, or ogling is not significantly different from a philosophical perspective.

As for the tight sweaters, if that's part of the uniform, there's not much the Song Girls can do about that, as that's what the school has decided they must wear. Much the same as beach volleyball players and swimmers must wear swimsuits or football players must wear tights. Speaking of which, it's funny how when football players wore cutoff tops and tights no one sexually objectified them or called them out for being sexually suggestive. Yet, when cheerleaders do something similar, they're automatically "asking for it."

As for the cheering, again, cheering has evolved from the days of waving pom poms. There's now a lot of dancing involved in sideline cheerleading. Whether you or I like the dancing is irrelevant. The fact of the matter remains that dancing is now part of cheerleading. Also, as I mentioned before, just because some of the older folks may find the dancing to be sexually suggestive does not mean (1) the girls doing the dances are "asking for it" or (2) the dances are sexually suggestive to others (let alone to the cheerleaders). As I pointed out earlier, older generations have often found the dances of younger generations to be sexually suggestive. That doesn't mean the younger people found them to be so. James Brown, Elvis Presley, et al. all used to gyrate or shake their hips. Yet, which of you old timers would say those dances were sexually suggestive. For the even older set, which of you would say that swing dancing and the lindy hop were sexually suggestive? Yet, when those dances came out, the older generations castigated them for being sexually depraved.

As for the coach, what exactly do you mean by reasonable choice to refrain? If you mean the coach should've refrained from doing so, I totally agree. However, if you mean the cheerleaders could've refused to go along with her criticisms, could've ignored her, or do you mean they should've just quit the cheer squad, then I would disagree. Should Allen Crabbe just have quit the Cal men's basketball team when Monty shoved him? Should Adam James just have quit the Texas Tech football team when Mike Leach locked him in the closet? Should the Ohio State wrestlers just have ignored it (or quit the team) when they were abused? Didn't they have the same reasonable choice to refrain?

Where are the cries for personal responsibility relative to the abusers in positions of power? Isn't it interesting that the victims of the abuse are the ones who are asked to take personal responsibility? This brings us back to rape culture. The "blame the victim" mentality is very much a part of rape culture.

Like most of the folks in this forum, I grew up in rape culture, too. I unthinkingly adopted it, as well. If a girl wore a skimpy outfit, obviously, she was trolling for sex. If she got raped, she asked for it. She should take personal responsibility for her actions. This was all ingrained in me before I graduated high school. At Cal, it was more of the same, except now if a girl got drunk, she's responsible for whatever happens to her afterward. This was all accepted and part of the culture.

But here's the thing, I've reflected on all that and realized just how morally bankrupt it all was. The "personal responsibility" argument somehow never attached to the ones who took advantage (and sexually assaulted) the girls. The "she was asking for it" arguments are just wrong on their face. No one suggests a guy who gets mugged was asking for it (not even when he gets drunk and passes out). No one then tells the mugging victim he's damaged goods. No one criticizes the mugging victim for going out fir a good time with his friends. No one doubts the mugging victim when he claims he was mugged just because he didn't fight back.

Here, you may point to your hypothetical about walking in West Oakland flashing a stack of Benjamins as evidence to the contrary. Yet, it's inapposite. You use your hypo to suggest personal responsibility applies when a person goes out of his way to do something out of the ordinary. Women get sexually assaulted and sexually objectified all the time as just part of their daily life. They don't have to dress "provocatively" or get drunk. They don't have to "dance suggestively" or "bump and grind." All they have to do is go about their daily lives and they'll still be sexually objectified, ogled, and sexually assaulted.

To borrow from Jesus, "if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee." The person who does the sexual objectifying, ogling, etc. (and not the target of his behavior) is the one who needs to take personal responsibility for his actions.
01Bear
WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

01Bear said:

bearister said:

Nah just an amateur psychologist trying to understand how someone can be so insecure, hyperbolic, and completely devoid of introspection.
Please keep posting, you are a fascinating subject in these areas.
And by all means keep getting triggered by my comments, they are useful aids in my informal research.
I'm hoping your responses can continue their current trend of becoming simultaneously more hyperbolic and less coherent.
Please don't let me down! I want to see how far from any tether to reality you can take this.
I've got confidence in you that we've only scratched the surface so far.

?itemid=5102325
01Bear
bearister said:

I've decided you are not a Southerner, all of whom worship the cheerleader culture. You must be a former cheerleader, or parent of one.

Your One Note Johnny repetitive argument is indicative of zero ability to review, process and formulate a response to a counter argument.

Actually, I'm neither a former cheerleader nor a parent of one. I just happen to respect and value women. I know that concept may be hard to comprehend for someone who thinks women in tight sweaters are just "asking for it."

As for the rest of your comment, I must say it is hilarious. You did a masterful job of projecting. Your refusal to understand that your sexual objectification of the USC Song Girls is (1) inappropriate and not reflective of anyone else let alone the entire jury pool of Southern California, (2) has no bearing on the complaints made by the Song Girls, and (3) does not make the Song Girls unsympathetic is indicative of just how poorly you "review, process and formulate a response to a counter argument." That you have to resort to ad hominem arguments just serves to underscore it.

Sir, you have proven to me that with age does not always come wisdom. I salute you for this!
bearister
Fine, but even you have to admit that Lana Wood did justice righteously to that turtleneck sweater.
01Bear
bearister said:

Fine, but even you have to admit that Lana Wood did justice righteously to that turtleneck sweater.

Honestly, I didn't notice. It's not even because I was trying to be "enlightened" or not to objectify her. It really is because tight sweaters don't evoke the same passions in my generation as they did in yours. Had she been wearing a g-string with a tiny string bikini, then I might have reacted. I grew up seeing women in less clothing so a tight sweater really doesn't even register on my sexual radar. It'd be like showing you a picture of a Victorian era lady whose ankle was slightly exposed. I doubt you would find it titillating.
Californium
01Bear said:

bearister said:

Honestly, I didn't notice. It's not even because I was trying to be "enlightened" or not to objectify her. It really is because tight sweaters don't evoke the same passions in my generation as they did in yours. Had she been wearing a g-string with a tiny string bikini, then I might have reacted. I grew up seeing women in less clothing so a tight sweater really doesn't even register on my sexual radar. It'd be like showing you a picture of a Victorian era lady whose ankle was slightly exposed. I doubt you would find it titillating.
Of course not. He already told you he likes the sweater pic for that ... but maybe he would find it ankleillating.
Fyght4Cal
The SC Song Girls are not "cheerleaders". Much like the Cal Dance Team, they are a dance squad. (Dance Team was formerly known as the Pom Pom Girls) They follow along with the yells & cheers, but they do not lead them. The Yell Leaders do that.

Though I'm not a big fan, they do not dance like strippers. They do a lot of the same dance routines they did years ago to traditional SC songs. While they have some contemporary dance routines, they are not known for their wanton gyrations.

This brings me back to the article. The pressure to be extra skinny, the gossip and the backstabbing, all coming from the coach is horrible and not what these young ladies signed up for. Nelson lacked integrity and scruples. Besides we live in a new era, where a more callipygian figure is a plus with more and more people.

From the article: Nelson told the women that she was after "the Southern California look," they said, which team members took to mean "white, skinny, blond, conservative, Christian, sorority girl," as a former Song Girl put it.

In Coach Nelson's view making the squad wasn't about putting the best dancers on the field. She had no formal dance training. She was unable to provide technical critiques of the routines. As she saw it, her job was to look after the image of the Song Girls.

She was unqualified to coach a dance team. Nelson's vision was exclusionary, body-shaming, classicist, anti-semitic and racist. That coach was a monster who ruined the Song Girl experience for way too many women.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
goldenchild
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ridley-thomas-ex-usc-dean-indicted-on-federal-corruption-charges/

There have been tons of news stories about SC's governance issues from the money laundering involved with the college admissions scandal, ignoring the gynecologist sexual abuse cases, destroying evidence related to the meth dean, and now more evidence of corruption involving their social welfare dean and a county supervisor. At what point does the AG's office open an investigation looking into lack of institutional control? It happened to the Getty Museum and Trust back in the day.
wifeisafurd
BearBoarBlarney said:

USC's PR machine is working double-time to address these grievous claims.

Here's the cover of the 2021 Song Girl Media Guide. Notice that Lori "Cruella De Vil" Nelson is nowhere to be found.

Why is Furd's oline holding pom-poms??
wifeisafurd
bipolarbear said:

Dollies are members of the band and selected by the Furd band.

Furd actually has cheerleaders, who look more the part, and in fairness, they look and perform more like gymnasts, then dancers.
82gradDLSdad
Well this was an interesting thread to read. I must have missed it the first time around. Thank God I did or 01bear would have verbally beaten me up. I think the safest thing for us all is to invoke the new Jon Gruden rule: don't ever write anything you don't want read in court.
wifeisafurd
82gradDLSdad said:

Well this was an interesting thread to read. I must have missed it the first time around. Thank God I did or 01bear would have verbally beaten me up. I think the safest thing for us all is to invoke the new Jon Gruden rule: don't ever write anything you don't want read in court.
I can recall in my legal firm's harassment training my LDS employment law partner who was leading the training, saying adopt the LDS standard: when you think about something sexual, write about ice cream, and when you think about racial groups, write like you want to convert those groups. It was meant as joke, but the point was being made on what you put in emails. This was before gay rights were on the radar, so I don't know what he would say today. The Gruden rule seems like a good idea, though amusing since lawyers are some of the worse in saying what would be offensive to third parties not involved in the original email chain - hence why the law firms had training. Just thinking about it, I doubt Bearsiter and I would want to defend some of our posts here in a court room.
Unit2Sucks
wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I can recall in my legal firm's harassment training my LDS employment law partner who was leading the training, saying adopt the LDS standard: when you think about something sexual, write about ice cream, and when you think about racial groups, write like you want to convert those groups. It was meant as joke, but the point was being made on what you put in emails. This was before gay rights were on the radar, so I don't know what he would say today. The Gruden rule seems like a good idea, though amusing since lawyers are some of the worse in saying what would be offensive to third parties not involved in the original email chain - hence why the law firms had training. Just thinking about it, I doubt Bearsiter and I would want to defend some of our posts here in a court room.

I always tell people to imagine how good they would look on the witness stand or testifying before congress ... with a posterboard behind them showing a printout of their email or slack message.
Bobodeluxe
Sigma Nu, to you too.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.