Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Game Against USC Postponed Until Dec. 4

November 9, 2021

The Cal football team. which last week had to face Arizona with a heavily depleted roster, on Tuesday announced that Saturday’s home game against USC had been rescheduled for Dec. 4.  That concluded a long day of negotiations involving the two schools and the Pac-12 conference.

The Bears who were minus 24 players and several coaches in Tucson mostly because of positive covid test results, said they would have been unable to field a team by Saturday.

“As we started this week, we were on a schedule to test our team and our staff again,” Cal athletic director Jim Knowlton said in a news conference via Zoom. “Today when we tested we had really just a few but they were all on the same position group. It left us with an inability to compete safely. I talked to the (Pac-12) commissioner  George Kliavkoff and I talked to USC athletic director Mike Bohn and we were able to come to an agreement to reschedule the game.”

Knowlton said that he was confident the Bears would be able to play their other two remaining games, Stanford in the Big Game Nov. 20 and UCLA in Los Angeles Nov. 27.

“I really feel good,” Knowlton said. “We have tested every one of our student-athletes and we can see we are at the back end of this.  We’re going to stay vigilant but I’m very confident that when we kick it off next week and start preparing for Stanford, we’re going to be in a great spot.”

Despite the pandemic raging across the country, this is the first college game to be rescheduled or canceled this year. And the Bears are glad they did not have to forfeit the contest and be stuck with a loss without even donning a helmet.

"Our heart goes out to all of the people who enjoy our games in so many ways and especially the players who only get so many chances to go out and play them," Cal coach Justin Wilcox said in a statement. "Postponing this game was a last resort and not an action any of us wanted to take, however it was not possible for us to field a team on Saturday."

On Monday the Cal players met as a group with medical people with no coaches or staff present. That might not have gone as well as hoped, judging from some of the social media posts put out by the players. Quarterback Chase Garbers was particularly angry.

“City and University officials spoke to us today, they really had no answers for us. They just beat around the bush and deflected our questions,” Garbers said. He concluded his lengthy post with, “We have worked too hard to have someone take this all away from us, it is wrong. We deserve answers and transparent communication.”

Rather than be upset with the players for their harsh criticisms, Knowlton understood and appreciated it.

“It couldn’t be more confusing in these times when you are trying to do the right thing and figure out what is the right thing,” he said. “And I applaud our student athletes for being vocal and wanting to know what’s going on.”

Getting the game rescheduled was not simple. The Pac-12 said in August that “Any forfeited contest shall be regarded as a conference loss for the team making the forfeit and a conference win for its opponent.

But, there is some wiggle room: “The Pac-12 rule provides the Commissioner with discretion to determine whether an institution is at fault or primarily at fault for an instability to play a contest based on the facts of the situation.”

According to a statement posted by Cal.  “Cal contacted USC about rescheduling the game and the two schools agreed on the new date. The Pac-12 approved the decision to reschedule the game. The kickoff time and broadcast television network will be announced at a later date.”

The game now takes place the day following the Pac-12 Championship game, scheduled for Friday Dec. 3 in Las Vegas. But neither USC (4-5, 3-4 Pac-12) nor Cal (3-6, 2-4) had any chance to reach it.

They do, however, have a chance to play a full 12-game schedule.

“It’s real important because it’s our last home game and it gives us a chance to celebrate our seniors,” Knowlton said. “I am grateful to Mike Bohn, who was a true partner. 

Discussion from...

Game Against USC Postponed Until Dec. 4

4,774 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Game is in danger of being cancelled."
By whom?
KenBurnski
89Bear said:

By whom?

You'd think the people that purchased or are planning to purchase tickets would be interested in knowing that the game could be cancelled. Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe this situation. Totally incompetent clown show.
89Bear
KenBurnski said:

89Bear said:

By whom?

You'd think the people that purchased or are planning to purchase tickets would be interested in knowing that the game could be cancelled. Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe this situation. Totally incompetent clown show.
Yes!!! I have a plane flight, tickets, and a hotel. I sure would like to know SOON if there will be a game!!!
KoreAmBear
89Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

89Bear said:

By whom?

Yes!!! I have a plane flight, tickets, and a hotel. I sure would like to know SOON if there will be a game!!!
I bet they announce Saturday morning lol. I mean even though they suck, you know there will still be a decent amount of SC fans as they love the Bay Area roadie.
Rushinbear
The point to which this could ultimately come is too draconian to contemplate.

It has been said never to let a crisis go to waste. Sadly, the few who wish the draconian solution might get their wish. Who is fighting for our players and fair play?
touchdownbears43
This should be a case study in how to mishandle a situation. Is Knowlton muzzling himself or is someone doing it to him?!
Strykur
touchdownbears43 said:

This should be a case study in how to mishandle a situation. Is Knowlton muzzling himself or is someone doing it to him?!
Why would Christ be silencing him, or anybody else?
BearoutEast67
The City of Berkeley sucks.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Bobodeluxe
Yes, lash out at the …

This site is absolutely hilarious.
BearForce2
Bobodeluxe said:

This site is absolutely hilarious.

yup
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.