Story Poster
Photo by Stan Szeto-USA TODAY Sports

Wilcox Meets Media: Talks COVID Situation

November 10, 2021

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox and players Valentino Daltoso and Daniel Scott met with the media via Zoom on Wednesday.

Wilcox detailed how the events of last week unfolded, leading to 24 players not being allowed to travel to Tucson for the game against Arizona. He also responded to some severe criticism of the program by the City of Berkeley.

“We recognize COVID-19 and take it very seriously. I think that is evidenced by the vaccination rate in our program. We have done our best to follow the guidelines that have been given to us through our city and our campus to mitigate the effect of COVID-19 on our team and the surrounding community and being good neighbors,” he said. “Unfortunately last week we had a number of positive tests which resulted in a significant portion of the team being held out of competition. We had a few more positive tests yesterday and early this week which would render it impossible for us to field a team this coming weekend.

“We are optimistic that that number will continue to dwindle and that our players are back in healthy so we can continue next week as we prepare for Stanford.”

On Tuesday night the City of Berkeley sent an email to the San Francisco Chronicle detailing many ways that the program was falling short of full compliance with the guidelines. In the email Matthai Chakko, a spokesperson for Berkeley Public Health, said that the 44 lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases within the program “emerged in an environment of ongoing failure to abide by public health measures.” He said people in the program did not get tested when sick, stay home when sick, or wear masks indoors.

Wilcox was asked about that on Wednesday. 

‘I don’t necessarily want to get into a back and forth with the City of Berkeley,” he said. “For me it’s about having productive communication. I don’t know that that’s overly productive. I will say that we have followed the guidance based on our vaccinated population and our unvaccinated population, which was very small. We have followed the guidance given to us as a program through our athletic department, through the campus and through the City of Berkeley. Along the way we have health professionals who are in our buildings daily, are in our practices in our weight rooms. 

“I would understand the CIty of Berkeley has a very difficult job. They have a lot on their plate right now and they are trying to do the best that they can.”

The Bears promise to be vigilant and work with the city going forward. 

“We are going to continue to follow the guidance of the campus and the city,” he said. “If they need to adjust that guidance, which happens when you have a positive case and multiple positive cases, then we will do what they ask. From here on out, we continue to test,,,There have been other measures where we have adjusted in terms of our daily operations. We will continue work with those protocols until we are back working together and have the team back. And hopefully get through this and not have it affect any more people and get our players back doing what they love doing, playing football.”

Players Valentino Daltoso and Daniel Scott also were on Zoom conferences.

Daltoso

Scott

Related

Game Against USC Postponed Until Dec. 4

Discussion from...

Wilcox Meets Media: Talks COVID Situation

7,836 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The final reporter was from something called "die hard bear backers." Does anyone know what that is? I cautiously looked online but couldn't find anything.
KoreAmBear
KenBurnski said:

The final reporter was from something called "die hard bear backers." Does anyone know what that is? I cautiously looked online but couldn't find anything.
Yipee kai-yay, Bears.

GivemTheAxe
KenBurnski said:

Two things immediately jumped out at me from JW's comments.
1. JW was following instructions for addressing the Covid situation that were provided by the athletic dept. so why is everyone dumping on Wilcox for not complying with the COB's requirements.

2. The COB clearly thought it had the leading role and authority to play in telling Cal when and how to test and how to respond to a situation where players are tested positive.
The university, the AD and JW likewise thought that the CoB had the leading role and authority in telling Cal when and how to test and how to respond to a situation where players tested positive.
So can we cut the BS that the COB has been spouting that it was merely saying what "should" be done not what "must" be done.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

1. JW was following instructions for addressing the Covid situation that were provided by the athletic dept. so why is everyone dumping on Wilcox for not complying with the COB's requirements.

2. The COB clearly thought it had the leading role and authority to play in telling Cal when and how to test and how to respond to a situation where players are tested positive.
The university, the AD and JW likewise thought that the CoB had the leading role and authority in telling Cal when and how to test and how to respond to a situation where players tested positive.
So can we cut the BS that the COB has been spouting that it was merely saying what "should" be done not what "must" be done.

Agree that Wilcox is just following Cal athletics protocols, however they are derived.

The City of Berkeley clearly sent that very defensive letter (blaming the program) to the Chronicle because the Chronicle (Wilner?) first blamed the COB and that was picked up by the PAC-12 commissioner and then nationally.

The reporter then reads the COB letter to Wilcox to get a reaction. Wilcox did not necessarily know the context for the letter but thankfully did not take the bait. He handled it very well.

The bottom line is we had a lot of players who tested positive for COVID. They had active cases. They needed to isolate or they would infect the rest of the team. They could not fly by CDC and FAA rules. Any protocol that required testing to find those active cases was a good one.

Lets get healthy, and get The Axe!
grrrah76
I know its water under the bridge, but it seems like the City of Berkeley Health has different, higher standards for Cal football compared to any other jurisdiction,both from a testing standpoint and quarantine requirements.

I guess you can argue the science of such a conservative approach, but that every other college football program are most likely operating under lesser requirements with no cases of major illness or death, seems to indicate Berkeley Health approach is overkill.
calumnus
grrrah76 said:

I know its water under the bridge, but it seems like the City of Berkeley Health has different, higher standards for Cal football compared to any other jurisdiction,both from a testing standpoint and quarantine requirements.

I guess you can argue the science of such a conservative approach, but that every other college football program are most likely operating under lesser requirements with no cases of major illness or death, seems to indicate Berkeley Health approach is overkill.

Players actually had COVID. The argument is that in other places, players with active COVID cases would be allowed to fly and play in a game? Or just that they would not have been tested so they would have flown and played without anyone knowing they had COVID? Thus, poor Cal?
BearDown2o15
GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

We have no way of knowing if JW was being honest about if the football program was following the correct protocol.

What motivation would he have to be honest about it? Could you imagine if he said "Yeah I don't make my staff or players wear masks and I tell them not to go to the training staff when they get sick, because I don't want them tested?"

I wouldn't be too quick to believe what he is saying
DiabloWags

It would appear, that the guidance set forth by CoB and UHS did not include surveillance testing of vaccinated individuals. Wilcox said that going forward, that will change and there will be multiple tests during the week, conducted.

Wilcox said that he was not privy to what vaccine was used on his players.
"I'm not privy to that. That would be a question for our uh, our department our campus"

Quite frankly, that's kind of hard for me to believe.

In any event, Wilcox appears to have "removed" himself out of much of the execution of the health policy. Given his tone, I got the feeling that it's not something that the coaches oversee, and he's smart enough to not even want to be part of that "chain-of-command" when it comes to answering to the Administration.

There were 2 unvaccinated players in the program.
Interestingly enough, Faraudo asked if one of these unvaccinated players was one of the first to test positive. Coach Wilcox said he understood the question, but did not want to answer due to privacy concerns.

The Team is still working out and conducting practices.
Will be back on the field Monday.

Faraudo: "Is this job less fun for you as it has been in the past?"

"Everybody has problems ya know and everybody has had adversity. People have been through a lot over the last 18 months.... People have dealt with it in much more significant ways, and much more tragic ways than we have. Ya know, I get great energy from my Team. Going into that meeting and being around those guys, even though people are disappointed, um, being around that group of guys, I wouldnt trade that for anything."

Ashley Adamson: "Is there a message that you have for frustrated Cal fans out there?"

"Choose optimism"

sycasey
calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

Players actually had COVID. The argument is that in other places, players with active COVID cases would be allowed to fly and play in a game? Or just that they would not have been tested so they would have flown and played without anyone knowing they had COVID? Thus, poor Cal?

I think the argument is that at other programs there would be no testing for athletes who showed no symptoms or prolonged close contact with the sick ones. At Berkeley they demand that you test the whole team. If that happened at other programs you probably would find a lot more positive tests. I could be wrong on the details there, but the upshot is that at Berkeley you have to do more expansive testing than anywhere else.

There is probably some scientific support for that. There's also an argument that positive cases don't mean much if you're part of a population with a high vax rate. Sure, the virus might be present but it's not doing anything.

By the letter of their stated policy the UC and CoB were probably justified in what they did. There is an argument to be made that enforcement of this policy is unnecessary for protecting public health.
UrsineMaximus
grrrah76 said:

Out of curiosity I checked the Oregonian to see what if any "injuries" OSU is reporting. The few reported were actual injuries. Given how all units on Cal's team have been affected, one would think that at least one Cal player passed the virus to at least one OSU player, no? So far nothing reported by OSU.
UrsineMaximus
It would have been insightful had a beat writer asked of the 39 players that tested +, how many were symptomatic? I don't think this would violate privacy laws and the information should be readily available. Not suggesting asymptomatic players should have been allowed to travel or play.
DiabloWags
UrsineMaximus said:

It would have been insightful had a beat writer asked of the 39 players that tested +, how many were symptomatic? I don't think this would violate privacy laws and the information should be readily available. Not suggesting asymptomatic players should have been allowed to travel or play.
I agree.

Rushinbear
DiabloWags said:

UrsineMaximus said:

I agree.
But you mean (not suggesting) symptomatic players being allowed to play, right?

Rule apparently calls for highly recommended testing, not mandatory testing.

If you are vaxxed and not sick, how do authorities prove that you have passed the virus. to anyone else? Other than another person showing demonstrable signs of sickness consistent with COVID, everything else seems like assumption.

Why aren't all these full stadia resulting in massive outbreaks? All over the country? Big numbers. Don't tell me that none of them is testing and instead are relying on denial.

I'm calling for proof. I'm not saying that no one has proof; just that rhetoric, hypotheticals, logical extensions, or soft correlations are useless. We know a helluva lot more than we knew a year ago, when simple conclusions enabled the formulation and insistence of arguments. The equivalent of the error in "Climate Change Deniers."
DiabloWags
https://21133.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_KCBSAMONDEMAND_P/media-session/0951e643-9bce-4653-875c-3af8207a7ace/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/4cbf1b59-ac26-4eb5-8421-a79400867346/3ff0e69f-a685-45a8-b58f-addd01259a29/audio/direct/t1636653106/After_more_than_a_year_and_a_half_of_Covid-19,_should_we_rethink_our_approach_to.mp3?t=1636653106

Dr. Monica Gandhi, UCSF Infectious Disease MD
KCBS interview
sycasey
DiabloWags said:

https://21133.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_KCBSAMONDEMAND_P/media-session/0951e643-9bce-4653-875c-3af8207a7ace/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/4cbf1b59-ac26-4eb5-8421-a79400867346/3ff0e69f-a685-45a8-b58f-addd01259a29/audio/direct/t1636653106/After_more_than_a_year_and_a_half_of_Covid-19,_should_we_rethink_our_approach_to.mp3?t=1636653106

Dr. Monica Gandhi, UCSF Infectious Disease MD
KCBS interview

This was a great segment. Echoes a lot of what I've been thinking.
evanluck
BearDown2o15 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

We have no way of knowing if JW was being honest about if the football program was following the correct protocol.

What motivation would he have to be honest about it? Could you imagine if he said "Yeah I don't make my staff or players wear masks and I tell them not to go to the training staff when they get sick, because I don't want them tested?"

Does Justin Wilcox strike you as a guy who is good at lying? I would argue that his aversion to even stretching the truth probably affects his ability to recruit as he seems unwilling to even engage in the type of hyperbole that most would find acceptable.

He admitted that the compliance was not 100% perfect and that players and even he himself had to be reminded at times to take precautions. He also stated that there are health professionals embedded with the team and that no one including these professionals felt lack of compliance was serious enough for them to have a single meeting about it.

evanluck
DiabloWags said:

It would appear, that the guidance set forth by CoB and UHS did not include surveillance testing of vaccinated individuals. Wilcox said that going forward, that will change and there will be multiple tests during the week, conducted.

"I'm not privy to that. That would be a question for our uh, our department our campus"

In any event, Wilcox appears to have "removed" himself out of much of the execution of the health policy. Given his tone, I got the feeling that it's not something that the coaches oversee, and he's smart enough to not even want to be part of that "chain-of-command" when it comes to answering to the Administration.

Interestingly enough, Faraudo asked if one of these unvaccinated players was one of the first to test positive. Coach Wilcox said he understood the question, but did not want to answer due to privacy concerns.

"Everybody has problems ya know and everybody has had adversity. People have been through a lot over the last 18 months.... People have dealt with it in much more significant ways, and much more tragic ways than we have. Ya know, I get great energy from my Team. Going into that meeting and being around those guys, even though people are disappointed, um, being around that group of guys, I wouldnt trade that for anything."

Ashley Adamson: "Is there a message that you have for frustrated Cal fans out there?"

"Choose optimism"

I think a lot of what is going on here is some kind of policy to keep the coaches away from decisions involving players health. It is probably a precaution to prevent coaches from pressuring players to play when injured. This is why when Wilcox is faced with questions about injuries he states that Doctors and players make decisions about the players ability to return from injury and the coaches are then told after the decision is made.
Rushinbear
evanluck said:

DiabloWags said:

"Choose optimism"

I think a lot of what is going on here is some kind of policy to keep the coaches away from decisions involving players health. It is probably a precaution to prevent coaches from pressuring players to play when injured. This is why when Wilcox is faced with questions about injuries he states that Doctors and players make decisions about the players ability to return from injury and the coaches are then told after the decision is made.
IF the law/exec order/protocol/CoB,UC reg is that testing is "highly recommended", he should know that and be able to stand up to them for his players and say that they're vaxed, have been tested, show few if any symptoms within only a very few, and that we will NOT be mandated to test. Same with the AD. We expect these kids to practice, play, study, do pub serv announcements, etc. and know the letter of the law, too, and be willing to take a stand? Someone has to create the environment for them to be able to do that, even if it means, "We're playing. Fire me in the morning." Guarantee they won't.
heartofthebear
BearDown2o15 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

Wilcox is a lot of things, and some of them may be problematic but I really don't think dishonesty or irresponsibility is one of them. I don't think he's a great game day coach and we could probably do better. But I think he handles the off field stuff like a champ.

Alkiadt
heartofthebear said:

BearDown2o15 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

Wilcox is a lot of things, and some of them may be problematic but I really don't think dishonesty or irresponsibility is one of them. I don't think he's a great game day coach and we could probably do better. But I think he handles the off field stuff like a champ.

I believe him, without a doubt.
It won't matter, because I believe he'll be gone if any other opportunity arises. I think he's done with Cal and lack of admin support. He's worked at Boise State, UW, Tennessee, Wisconsin and USC.
All of those schools support football 10x compared to Cal. And people in the business know that about Cal.
Econ141
Alkiadt said:

heartofthebear said:

BearDown2o15 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

KenBurnski said:

I believe him, without a doubt.
It won't matter, because I believe he'll be gone if any other opportunity arises. I think he's done with Cal and lack of admin support. He's worked at Boise State, UW, Tennessee, Wisconsin and USC.
All of those schools support football 10x compared to Cal. And people in the business know that about Cal.

Holy crap - you're right. Those are some programs with great support. Worst part is that nothing is going to change on the cal side. Nothing ever has. Think we will learn from this? Afraid not...again.
ARbear
1. Wilcox wasn't aware before testing that it was only recommended (lack of communication). He only found that out after the players had a Q&A with the UHS official.

2. They threatened to cancel their game if they didn't comply with the "recommended" testing.
ARbear
I think despite the obstacles he faces at Cal, he truly enjoys the type of cerebral players he gets to coach and recruit at Cal. More so than at a place like Tennessee or wherever. I think he enjoys being around the type of players that Cal attracts.
Rushinbear
ARbear said:

1. Wilcox wasn't aware before testing that it was only recommended (lack of communication). He only found that out after the players had a Q&A with the UHS official.

2. They threatened to cancel their game if they didn't comply with the "recommended" testing.
It was his business to know. He should wait until they make up something to tell him? Of course, they want to find a way to word it so the AD/HC are persuaded.
UrsineMaximus
Peeps are making a big deal about Wilcox should have known about the "recommended" wording and he should have protected his players.

Peeps, Knowlton is on record for saying that had the players not taken the test that he, Knowlton, would not have allowed them to travel. GO SEE HIS PRESSER!!

This doesn't fall on Wilcox. Knowing the CoB rules/mandates falls on the AD office. That is were the buck stops. Geeeeeeeeez.
ARbear
He was under the impression that it was straight up mandatory. He was never told it was recommended.
Econ141
UrsineMaximus said:

Peeps are making a big deal about Wilcox should have known about the "recommended" wording and he should have protected his players.

Peeps, Knowlton is on record for saying that had the players not taken the test that he, Knowlton, would not have allowed them to travel. GO SEE HIS PRESSER!!

This doesn't fall on Wilcox. Knowing the CoB rules/mandates falls on the AD office. That is were the buck stops. Geeeeeeeeez.

He should remove the letters Known from his last name.
GivemTheAxe
UrsineMaximus said:

We have gone all over this topic at length on at least two other threads.
CoB's explanation that it's instructions were mere recommendations is all BS and an attempt to escape criticism. We don't need to repeat all those posts again on this thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.